Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E04: Music to My Ears

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Tribes must dig deep in the immunity challenge to land a win and earn safety for one more night. Then, one tribe is sent to tribal council where someone will be the fourth person voted out of the game.

Original airdate 10/18/23

Wow, J kinda left Dee out to dry there by voting for Sean after being "Sifu Sifu Sifu!" all episode.

The reactions at Sean's announcement cracked me up:

Sean: Please vote me out!

Jeff: wut

Dee: wut

J: wut

Julie: wut

Sifu: You got it, buddy!

1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

So for all his dramatics and essentially telling them to vote him off, Sean wanted to stir some shit up before he left since apparently he voted for Dee. 

He knew Sifu was the only other person people might want out, so he probably voted for someone else to ensure the fewest votes for Sifu.

Edited by tracyscott76

I already went back and re-watched the moment when Sean was making it clear he was quitting just to see Jeff's face.  To be able to look into that noggin of his and see what was going on because it probably wasn't pretty.  I also can't imagine the conversation casting had after another quit just 2 boots after the first.

I definitely did not see that coming.  I thought it was an act, and even when it was clear it wasn't I thought the girls were still going to vote Sifu out and make Sean suffer.  I'm kind of annoyed that Julie didn't vote Sifu and left Dee out there on her own.  He was definitely going home so he dodged a blindside he didn't know was coming for him.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

In other tribe news, it takes a certain skill to complain about someone and make it amusing, and so far Katurah is succeeding. She had some help from the editors with that time-lapse rant, but it was still pretty funny. She could still take it too far, but I don't think she's there yet. Plus: I mean, she's not wrong!

Wonder who Probst is going to blame in casting for two people this season having quit.

It won’t be Adam Klein, whose clients of Brando, Brandon and Kaleb haven’t quit, despite the fact that Probst has no respect for what Adam does.

Can the show stop purpling Brando, please? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

This has just not been an uplifting season so far. I can’t respect the quitting and the shitty game play from the 1st 4 lulus. 

100% agreed. Yikes.  Remember, too, that Emily started off pretty rough in terms of gameplay. Who knew that she’d turn out to be the second-best player on the entire tribe?

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I do like how Emily has found her groove and settled in after a rocky start. She reminds me a little bit of Kathy from Marquesas all those years ago. Very similar transition.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
Just now, vb68 said:

I do like how Emily has found her groove and settled in after a rocky start. She reminds me a little bit of Kathy from Marquesas all those years ago. Very similar transition.

Agreed, but let's hope that she doesn't come back for an All-Stars season and completely tank her reputation.

16 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Oh, baby. Peachy was seething. His jaw was twitching. Two quitters only 4 tribals in. 

It’s so bad for the show, and it’s got to be bad for economics.  Yes, CBS has plenty of funds, but they can’t be OK with basically wasting money getting those two to Survivor for them to bring such bad mojo and so lame for the viewers and taking the spots of potentially good Survivors to watch.  I guess the casting people thought they couldn’t miss with a principal and a therapist, but, wow, they were wrong.  I agree — to paraphrase @truthaboutluv — that Sean knew he was a “dead man walking” and it was just a very, very short matter of time and the other Lulu losses, vote-offs and being left out of the Sabiyah blindside just took what little he had left.  He went out on his own terms, in his mind.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
25 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

In other tribe news, it takes a certain skill to complain about someone and make it amusing, and so far Katurah is succeeding. She had some help from the editors with that time-lapse rant, but it was still pretty funny. She could still take it too far, but I don't think she's there yet. Plus: I mean, she's not wrong!

I'm worried for her if Lulu loses, because Kaleb will go where the numbers are, and right now that is not with Katurah.  

Side note, but speaking of things that were amusing, Jake's joke about being a good swimmer wasn't as funny as he thought but I liked how they made his laugh drag out for a few seconds, and like to think they were actually laughing at him and not with him by doing that.

3 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Agreed, but let's hope that she doesn't come back for an All-Stars season and completely tank her reputation.

If they do bring her back for an All-Star season they better bring Gabler and have them on the same tribe together.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

A fantastic episode with a SHIT ending. Jesus. I have to believe that Sean was just trying to go out on his own terms because he knew he was going home and wanted to save face. Because he did a total 180.

I am surprised how much I now like Emily. The editors know how to craft a good redemption arc, seriously.

Found out from my mom that Kaleb is her friend's niece's boyfriend. Cool!

Edited by Valerie
  • Like 14
  • Useful 1

Jay speaks! Jay has game! Jay has a target!

And then it was all for not.

The hell was that at the end?

Way to go casting! Now we are up to three who have wasted slots for people that really wanted to play the game (Don't tell me Brandon didn't want to get voted out after all his whining)....another freakin' quitter! That was such a bizarre turn of events that I wasn't sureif it would turn out to be an act.

Sean quits and manages to throw a hand grenade into his new tribe on the way out.

Bruce....acting upon his return to his original beach? Probably but I'd rather have him around than that sour Civil Right's attorney whose name I can't remember. I am convinced more than ever Bruce must remind her of an ex and she's projecting her scorn on him.

Anyway on a positive note, I was worried about Emily until someone pointed out she could actually be the swing vote. I don't like Drew but appreciated his hand gesture refuting Emily when she said she didn't help as much. I do wish she hadn't been so honest to tell them she was on the outs on LuLu. I didn't see any advantage to sharing that.

The producers and editors are clearly invested in Emily too featuring her reaction to not going to tribal for the first time.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Another quitter in Sean. Disappointing. Jeff did not look happy when Sean was telling everyone on the tribe to vote him out when they go to vote. These players are lame. That's 2 people now that just give up and want to leave. Seeing as how Sifu barely got any airtime tonight, it was clear he wasn't being voted out. 

In other news, Emily has gone from not liked by me at all to one of my favorite players. I hope she can keep going far into this game.

• Like 17

Call me a wimp, but I don't consider Sean's ouster an official quit. He wanted to check out, but he left a silver of hope of staying in the game. And I was hoping Sifu would get the boot because he's been full of himself and it would have been funny as all fuck. Alas, it was Sean leaving. And if it upsets Probst? Good. I want him to snap. Who doesn't want that? Frothing at the mouth, screaming about players letting him down, suffering a breakdown when he realizes he had a hand in casting . . . bring on the quitting!

Man, Original Lulu is jinxed. Three remaining tribe members, placed in different tribes. Only Emily had a favorable result, being a potential swing vote on her new tribe. At least New Lulu won the challenge, giving Kaleb that sweet, sweet flint.

What should I call Jake? I'm thinking either Bargain Rob or BCT (Bargain CT).

Is Bruce oblivious about how much Katurah doesn't care for him? I think it's well-deserved, because he's also full of himself.

I'm surprised that there's a Dee. Looking through the individual threads, I also see a Kendra. Who is she? And there's Kellie and Julie . . . who are they? Does editing favor the guys? Or has Lulu absorbed whatever screen tie they would have gotten?

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I don't know why, but I was getting so annoyed by Jeff's "Lulu wins one! Lulu finally wins!" mania. Yes, they're Lulu, but four out of the five Lulus were previously on winning tribes. It's not quite the comeback, aspirational story he's trying to pitch.

I like Dee, but I don't know if that Sifu vote will do her any favors. Hopefully, she and the other women stay tight.

Don't even know where to begin with Sean. Did not see that one coming.

26 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Does editing favor the guys?

I'd say usually. Although, there's usually one or two exceptions. At this point, I'm not sure if Brando can actually talk.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

So according to Jeff:

-Sifu was definitely going (seriously Sean, you robbed us of a great blindside!)

-Sean's quit came out of nowhere to everyone, but Jeff thinks he definitely didn't just decide on the spot.  He realized he got what he needed out of the experience, but had no complaints like Hannah did

This is all courtesy of the Survivor podcast, which I might actually have to give a listen to just to see how annoyed Probst sounds. 

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-45-jeff-probst-latest-victim-romanticized-quit-sean/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 2

Soooo the new casting metric is a bust.   The show is a winner because so many of us who watch "might" like to be on it.  When we see three people just give up, it is such a let down.   Jeff was not happy and maybe he is learning something??

Cast the strongest of character, strength and IQ.  Everything else is just meh--or I want to go home...

• Like 9
2 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Bruce....acting upon his return to his original beach? Probably but I'd rather have him around than that sour Civil Right's attorney whose name I can't remember. I am convinced more than ever Bruce must remind her of an ex and she's projecting her scorn on him

I agree something is radically wrong with her.  She seems to have this totally irrational hatred of Bruce and projects any little thing he does as the end of the world.  I hope she gets voted out next.

11 minutes ago, dancingdreamer said:

As for Sean, I read they can go home as soon as jury starts, at one time they had to wait until the end.

Can you provide a link?  That would be a major change and one that could SPOIL a season immediately so I find it hard to believe. 

Actually remove "could" and change to WOULD spoil a season's results immediately.  Something that could tank ratings so I can't believe they would do that.

Survivor used to send pre-jury on little trips to Australia or elsewhere or just shuttled them to another location once Ponderosa became the jury house. 

I know CBS has a big house they use to sequester people from time to time and where the BB jury is sent to.  I think The Amazing Race uses it now to sequester early eliminated teams rather than in an overseas hotel like they used to but I could have that wrong.

And that house in the US so maybe that is what you mean by "home" as in sequestered in the US and not Fiji?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
48 minutes ago, Sunnykm said:

Soooo the new casting metric is a bust.   The show is a winner because so many of us who watch "might" like to be on it.  When we see three people just give up, it is such a let down.   Jeff was not happy and maybe he is learning something??

Cast the strongest of character, strength and IQ.  Everything else is just meh--or I want to go home...

It makes me wonder if Hannah and Sean broke casting like Claire broke the sit-out rule last season and Carson broke the challenges because he was able to duplicate them at home.  This season, Probst has been hyping different challenges (though I guess same concepts of throwing balls, puzzle pieces, and unlocking obstacles), and we have the rule that contestants can't sit out back to back challenges.  Although I don't know how they can accurately predict whether someone is going to quit or not.  But Probst said after Hannah's exit he talked with casting about how they screwed that one up.  I assume a similar conversation happened after Sean's quit.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 4

Beyond casting, the show itself has to take some blame in this.  They go out of their way to make it harder (fewer clothes, limited flint, limited rice) on the players because CBS is too cheap to pay for a 36-day season anymore.  Then they arrange the original Lulu to be very obviously the weakest of the three tribes, to the point that an 0-3 streak seemed almost likely.  So by just nine days in, no wonder it has to at least a couple of people being broken already.

• Like 14
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm surprised that there's a Dee. Looking through the individual threads, I also see a Kendra. Who is she? And there's Kellie and Julie . . . who are they? Does editing favor the guys? Or has Lulu absorbed whatever screen tie they would have gotten?

The LuLu-heavy focus of the early episodes is definitely a factor, though I also blame that initial "OMG we're all September babies!" moment in the premier for the original Belo girls. It kind of blended the three women, until it became "the one who's so over Bruce" and "the other two." I believe Kendra is the one who talks the most about astrology, and Kellie is the one who was debating in an earlier episode whether she would swing with the Belo boys or the Belo girls had they gone to tribal before the swap. Brando's been very quiet since the first episode.

I would say the editing for Reba favored the guys, but that's more because Drew and Austin were finding all those advantages/idols, which necessarily showcased them more. Drew also seems to love talking for the camera. Julie & Dee were almost always shown together pre-swap, so it's been hard to distinguish them other than being a duo. J's only notable moment before tonight was the segment highlighting her long big toes.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 minutes ago, DrBriCa said:

The LuLu-heavy focus of the early episodes is definitely a factor, though I also blame that initial "OMG we're all September babies!" moment in the premier for the original Belo girls. It kind of blended the three women, until it became "the one who's so over Bruce" and "the other two." I believe Kendra is the one who talks the most about astrology, and Kellie is the one who was debating in an earlier episode whether she would swing with the Belo boys or the Belo girls had they gone to tribal before the swap. Brando's been very quiet since the first episode.

I would say the editing for Reba favored the guys, but that's more because Drew and Austin were finding all those advantages/idols, which necessarily showcased them more. Drew also seems to love talking for the camera. Julie & Dee were almost always shown together pre-swap, so it's been hard to distinguish them other than being a duo. J's only notable moment before tonight was the segment highlighting her long big toes.

I think Dee was the one with the long big toes segment. J, sadly, had 0 notable moments before tonight.

Dee got a decent amount of airtime last week, vocalizing in multiple confessionals that she and Julie are working with Austin and Drew but don’t fully trust them. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

What the actual fuck was that?!! Poor Jeff, his face goes so white with shock in these soft-quitter moments! He's not even going home to see his husband any time soon, is he? Bizarre.

I'm quite pleased he auf'd himself, as I didn't want those dills to vote out Sifu, their only physical strength and a genial presence.

I'm glad Sean threw a little grenade in as he left, telling Sifu it wasn't him voting for him.

Bruce is a major pain, but the extreme resentful focus of Katurah on his many flaws has put me right off her, and she was one of my initial favourites on the old blue tribe.

I liked seeing Emily find new friends, and weeping for joy and relief at that win. It's also good Austen has numbers now.

Edited by violet and green
typo
  • Like 11

I liked that we got to see a lot more of the players this episode.  Kaleb is still my favorite and I think he almost single-handily won that challenge.  He seemed determined to not lose again.

Bruce and SIFU both tire me out as they are continually playing to the camera.  They both seem nice though when they don't think a camera is around...  But, just a word SIFU-going scorched earth when a vote goes your way isn't going to help you advance in the game.

Sean.  Sigh.  Immediately tries to deflect his vote for Kaleb.  And then wanting to quit because his life at home is where he wants to be.  Oh, and everyone has had hardships in life.  I think he was trying to control his own narrative (I chose to leave, they didn't want me to leave...).  Another example of 'this is harder than I thought.'  I did notice that when he thought he was running the tribe with Sabyiah that he was just fine staying in the game.

Casting has a big problem and I think it's primarily related to having shorter seasons.  People who may realized they wouldn't make a 39 day season may think that 26 days is doable.  I have no idea how they put together the tribes after casting is completed, but old Lulu is an example of poor casting and poor grouping.  I'm with Jeff-agast at people just quitting.  At least Sean admitted he quit in his personal words after the preview whereas Hannah held on to being voted out.  I think Survivor needs to put something into the contracts about quitting or asking to be voted out.  No stipend or something.  Jenna's quitting has always been the exception as she received word about her mother dying.  I hope it doesn't get to the point that to win Survivor all one needs to do is not quit.

• Like 14

Another quitter, wonderful.  Dee really got hung out to dry on that vote though.

Bruce can go at any time for me. The emotions were way over the top when he realized he was on the same beach as last time (for 12 hours).

Emily definitely ended up in the best position of her former tribe mates. Although, for a minute, I thought the interviews were setting her up as the boot this week.  She's turning into one of my favorites this season.

I'm curious about the swap and if it is always a 100% certainty.  If the tribes were 5/5/5 instead of 6/6/3, would there still have been a swap?

What was the first thing Dee pulled out of Sean's bag? It looked like it was the top of the team immunity idol but why would he have had it in his bag?

During the immunity challenge Julie had something fairly large on her back under her shirt.  At first I though it might have been a microphone pack but it seemed too big for that and nobody else had one anyway.  Anyone know what it was?

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

What was the first thing Dee pulled out of Sean's bag? It looked like it was the top of the team immunity idol but why would he have had it in his bag?

I thought Dee said something about tree mail but that also doesn't make sense.

I actually don't give a shit if people quit but the manner in which Sean did it was just bizarre. He can't even go home to see his husband anyway so what was he even talking about lol.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

Bruce's cornball Dad jokes are annoying enough in small doses on TV once a week; having to put up with them 24/7 while hungry and with sand in my crotch would do my head in. I'm Team Katurah.

Same.  The need to constantly be the center of attention ("Oh, I can't find the flint we just won...haha, here it is in my zipped pocket" hilarious!) is beyond grating.

Did production have those new buffs placed on the tray by color?  Because, yeah, not a ton of switching happened with that switch.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

A potentially good season is being ruined by these weak-ass quitters! WTF?? We didn't have this many quitters when the season was 39 days and you had to worry about being eaten by lions!

Anyway, count me on Team Katurah - Bruce is a full-of-himself attention whore who gets on my nerves in 30 seconds or less, I can't imagine putting up with his constant phony goofball shtick 24/7. 

So happy that Kaleb not only got himself onto a winning team, but that he was instrumental in the win! He deserved that. And good for Emily too, getting a fresh start on a winning tribe.

Hopefully, we're done with the fucking quitters and can start playing Survivor.

Edited by Gummo
  • Like 11
  • Applause 2
12 hours ago, dizzyd said:

This has just not been an uplifting season so far. I can’t respect the quitting and the shitty game play from the 1st 4 lulus. 

Just miserable. And I think there really needs to be a rule against asking to be voted out. No. Just quit, don't use up a TC on that nonsense. Folks are welcome to just not put up a fight when they're on the bottom, but otherwise I think they should just have to quit the old-fashioned way and make the producers have to pivot to make an episode arc.

10 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Anyway on a positive note, I was worried about Emily until someone pointed out she could actually be the swing vote. I don't like Drew but appreciated his hand gesture refuting Emily when she said she didn't help as much. I do wish she hadn't been so honest to tell them she was on the outs on LuLu. I didn't see any advantage to sharing that.

I think it may make her an appealing ally in that she doesn't automatically go back to her Lulu teammates after the merge. In other words, as an ally they might get to keep her.

9 hours ago, Steph Sometimes said:

I like Dee, but I don't know if that Sifu vote will do her any favors. Hopefully, she and the other women stay tight.

I hope she finds a way to spin it. She could say she thought Sean may have been putting on a show to then play an idol and vote her out or something, so she had to just randomly pick someone else to vote out to stay alive.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
12 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

I hope she finds a way to spin it. She could say she thought Sean may have been putting on a show to then play an idol and vote her out or something, so she had to just randomly pick someone else to vote out to stay alive.

I'm torn on this.  She should either just throw the other two women under the bus in front of Sifu and ask why they changed their votes.  Or, just make something up and they can still vote out Sifu next TC.  Does he have an idol?  I don't remember.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Drogo said:
11 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Does Sean realize he doesn't get to go home? What a dumb reason to quit. 

I hope his husband tells him he’s a dumbass. 

MY husband told him he was a dumbass.  Well, if yelling at the TV very loudly counts as telling him . . . 

• Like 3
  • LOL 10
13 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I'm torn on this.  She should either just throw the other two women under the bus in front of Sifu and ask why they changed their votes.  Or, just make something up and they can still vote out Sifu next TC.  Does he have an idol?  I don't remember.

Sifu does not have an idol. Austin has Reba Red's idol, Sabiyah had Lulu Yellow's idol, and the Belo Blue idol is still completely unfound, not even the initial clue, if I'm remembering right.

What a weird season thus far. Two quits (and regardless of Jeff forcing the tribe to vote this time, I DO consider it a quit) and a player who failed every aspect of Survivor is not a great look for the season overall.

Sean was already annoying me a bit, but I thought the blindside Sifu was going to screw them over, anyway. I was looking forward tp seeing Reba fall apart once Sifu was gone.

I feel bad for Dee, who I respect the hell out of for sticking to the plan and still voting for Sifu, while J Maya and Julie decided to do what Sean asked. I appreciate Dee for basically being like "if you want to quit, quit on your own terms. I'm sticking to the plan".

Is Katurah nitpicking everything with Bruce? Absolutely. Do I understand? Totally. We only get glimpses of Bruce on the tribe but it seems like he does these corny jokes and bragging about his 12 hour season on Survivor a lot, so WE may be getting spared of the worst of it. Especially since I feel the same as Katurah, that Bruce is putting on an act and is not REALLY this fun loving goofy uncle-dad, I can totally see why it would be annoying if EVERYONE is falling at his feet and I'm the only one to see through it.

I think Bruce is Katurah's BEC (Bitch Eating Crackers), and it may be annoying to watch if it continues, but I think it's warranted. We see that Bruce feels similarly with Katurah, since he pointed out in a confessional when she was asking Kaleb his time on his journey, that he didn't trust Katurah and wanted her out next.

That being said, Bruce having a moment when he landed on Lulu tribe and realized it was the old Tika tribe was a good segment. Regardless of him only being there 12 hours, I can see how that would affect him for a second. It was also the most real Bruce has seemed thus far.

I feel bad for Emily, which is...certainly a change from how I felt about her in the first two episodes. She thinks she has a new family in Belo but Austin/Drew are making it quite clear they're ONLY using her as a number. Despite the nice moment where she got to grab the second idol, I don't think Emily has found new allies in the way that she wants. Drew/Austin want to "win her over", like she's some prize and she thinks they're including her because they like her enough and want to align with her. Maybe that's not entirely the truth, but Austin and Drew's confessionals certainly make it seem like they only care about her as a number.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

So for all his dramatics and essentially telling them to vote him off, Sean wanted to stir some shit up before he left since apparently he voted for Dee. 

In that case, then, I’d have to guess -

Mission_accomplished.jpeg.79f1d8a9660690fb4dbccb787bb8cddb.jpeg

12 hours ago, Uwbadgmad said:

Do people voted out early actually get to go home? I thought everyone had to stay there until the season is over especially those who go to Ponderosa. What a disappointment Sean was tonight!

IIRC the pre-jury eliminations stay at Ponderosa until it comes time to start assembling the Jury, at which point they get a 1-2 week vacation tour on Production’s dime (during which they stay incognito and incommunicado) before being sent home - primarily, I’m sure, so Production can camouflage who was or wasn’t eliminated early.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

I love Bruce but I compare him to someone like Maryanne from S42 -- she's probably fun in small doses, but living with her 24/7 on an island where you're malnourished, dehydrated, and exhausted is probably a LOT.

• Like 12