Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ha ha ha.. I’m sorry but the fact that a Star is born isn’t winning is legitimately making me laugh. Almost all of those e need and access Hollywood shows had a Star is born as winning.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 14

Holy s**t!!! Did not expect that. Although technically based on the awards handed out tonight it was one of 3 that could have taken it. I am very happy, cause honestly that Live Aid scene deserves every award thrown at this movie.

• Love 8

Bohemian Rhapsody won because the foreign press really like Queen.  I really don’t think it will be as lucky st the Oscars.

thst said, I still need to see it.

see you all at the next event!

• Love 4

I didn't expect the near-shutout for A Star Is Born.  And I really didn't expect Bohemian Rhapsody to win Best Picture.  Wow!  Granted, there's not chance in hell that happens at the Oscars (especially since Roma will likely be in the mix), but hey, some love for a movie most of the critics didn't like and I loved!!

• Love 8

Shocked that Bohemian R won! Shocked I tell you!  I thought for sure A Star is Born was going to grab it. So I have hopes something other than that film will win the Oscar now.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Neeners said:

I didn't even see it yet and I'm so happy for Rami!

DS (who is 18 but likes Queen) was not a fan of the movie and is outraged. But all of my friends my age loved it. I’ll see it when it’s streaming probably. I liked Star is Born a lot.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Hey, Glenn Close beats out Lady Gaga!  That should make some happy.

It sure made ME happy! I picked her originally but then switched to GaGa since she was the fave with many critics.  Damn should have went with my heart. Now I have hopes for the Oscar she has longed deserved. Please make it true Oscar gods!

• Love 7

Bohemian Rhapsody seemed to me like a movie that the Hollywood Foreign Press would favor.   If any awards show can sometimes be unpredictable and surprising, it is the Golden Globes (hence, the award to Lady Gaga for American Horror Story a few years ago).  Now sometimes the SAG awards and the Oscars honor the same actors and films as the Golden Globes, but the Golden Globes is the show that is most likely to feature some surprises, or at least feature some wins that were not quite as expected.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6

I was hoping for a Black Panther win and I'm still hoping it wins the Oscar but I'm sitting here smiling at the shocking win for Bohemian Rhapsody, which I also enjoyed. 

I didn't see ASIB, but I don't think a FOURTH telling of the same old story should win for Best Picture, no matter how well done.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, opus said:

So Green Book won best musical, and Bohemian Rhapsody won best drama? Or something like that?

Someone singing in a movie doesn't make the movie a musical. Also Green Book won for Best Musical Or Comedy.

Edited by lurkerbee
  • Love 3

For those wanting to see Carol Burnett, it's on MeTV every weeknight.

Haven't seen any of the nominated movies except a few of the animated ones. Did happen to catch an NPR interview with Rami Malek where he talked about how much time and effort he put into learning how to be Freddy, practicing his accent and moves, even learning to play the piano. Most of the critics thought his performance was great, but the movie overall wasn't.

Don Shirley himself refused to allow a movie based on Vallelonga's story to be made while he was alive, and his family have denounced the movie wholesale. They were not even consulted in the making and Mahershala Ali is the only one who came out and apologized. The all white producers never told him there was still existing family.

I'm not sure I want to see the new Mary Poppins. Many years ago I read the actual books by PL Travers, there are 4 btw, and what Disney turned her into is nothing short of a travesty. She isn't some treacly sweet, life is beautiful character. The actual Mary Poppins doesn't suffer fools gladly and isn't all that enamored of children. Literary Mary is great.

Best look of the night goes to Danai Gurrera, IMO.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Did happen to catch an NPR interview with Rami Malek where he talked about how much time and effort he put into learning how to be Freddy, practicing his accent and moves, even learning to play the piano. Most of the critics thought his performance was great, but the movie overall wasn't.

That was a fantastic interview. I love Rami (big Mr. Robot fan) and am so pleased for his win. His very genuine speech was a highlight of the evening for me and I wasn't even terribly psyched about the show this year.

Entertainment Weekly calls Bohemian Rhapsody a standard biopic with a great lead.

• Love 5

I am glad that the acting awards aren't all so clearly sewn up this year like they were last year. Sorry, but great actors as they all were, I was so over hearing more or less the same damn speech from Alison Janney, Sam Rockwell, Gary Oldman and Frances McDormand by the time the Oscars ceremony rolled around. 

I think Supporting Actor and Actress may be close to being sewn up for Regina King and Mahershala Ali but the Best Actor and Best Actress is wildly up in the air. It's clear the critics loved Ethan Hawke in First Reformed and he's their pick but the Guilds don't seem to agree seeing as how he was snubbed at the Globes and the SAG.

And it's the various Guilds that vote for the Oscars. Will be very interesting to see what happens in that category at the SAG Awards. Especially since because there's no split, Christian Bale will now be competing against Bradley and Rami. 

The Best Actress is also a toss up. Because of the Comedy and Drama split, Glenn Close and Olivia Colman both won tonight.  So will be interesting to see which one gets the SAG Award. I'm excited. I hate when that shit is too predictable.

eta: Forgot to add that I was extra happy about Rami's win because I consider it a makeup for the one he SHOULD have won for Mr. Robot. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
49 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

The actual Mary Poppins doesn't suffer fools gladly and isn't all that enamored of children. Literary Mary is great.

Emily's Mary is much more like Literary Mary than Julie's Mary

• Love 6

The buzz for Glenn Close has been around for a while.  Definitely a race between her and Olivia.  I wasnt expecting the Rami win.  I think Bale has it sewn up, though.  Supporting can still be anyone's race.  Weiss has one some awards already.

• Love 1

I think I'm one of the few people who actually saw Close in that. It was one of those prestige productions that got almost no distribution. I'm happy Spiderman broke the Disney awards monopoly. I couldn't finish Versacci and with streaming as it is, I didn't see most of the TV nominees.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Arynm said:

No Lin-Manuel? I am devastated. He is so much fun

Isn’t he in Puerto Rico, either rehearsing to perform in, or actually performing in, the limited run of Hamilton? I think it’s this month.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

It surprises me every year that the GG don’t do an “In Memoriam” segment.

They never have.  The reason is that the GG producers feel that SAG and the Oscars do a much better job than they ever could.  The only exception was the year that Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds died within a day of each other, so the GG producers felt they had to do some sort of tribute to them.

• Love 2

I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought Sandra Oh's "tissues" comment re This is Us was crude and not funny at all.

Carol Burnett and Glenn Close - class acts.  Overall the rest of the show was kind of an embarrassment.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Regina King looks amazing but the interview with Seacresr dragged on. She’s cute with her son though enemy if they wouldn’t get off the stage.

whos Justin Hartleys date? She looks like Megan Fox.

I think Megan Fox & Brian Austin Green reconciled. Or they’re still separated but called off the divorce.

Well, hell!  I don't watch the GG often because I don't watch many of the nominated tv shows, nor do I typically see as many of the nominated movies as I did this year, so when I recorded it I didn't bother to record the next show because I thought the GG usually ended on time.  Then, I discovered that it ran long, so I looked up who won and saw that I missed BoRhap and Rami winning, so I recorded the next airing and the half hour news program afterward, only to find this morning that it went longer than that.  *sigh*  I looked up the acceptance speeches online, but it's not the same. 

Anyway, I'm thrilled for both of the wins, but would have been fine with Bradley Cooper and ASIB winning, too.  I doubt we'll see BoRhap win the Best Picture oscar, and as for Best Actor, Christian Bale will more than likely be in the mix, so that makes it a tougher race for the other two.

The next morning, the dresses I remember (and loved) are Kaley Cuoco's, Hallie Berry's and Rachel Bronahan's.

I thought Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh were so embarrassingly bad from the beginning, so I didn't even bother listening to them after the first minute or so.

Edited: Andy Samberg, not Adam Sandler. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I am pleased for Glenn Close and was really happy to not have to listen to a possible Gaga pretentious, rambling speech.

Anybody but Gaga!  But seriously - she didn't win because she wore that horrible gown, am I right?  What was she thinking?  Pretentious, moi?

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Anybody but Gaga!  But seriously - she didn't win because she wore that horrible gown, am I right?  What was she thinking?  Pretentious, moi?

I don't want Gaga to win anything. I was so glad that wasn't the case. 

• Love 6