Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Sunflowers

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, dmeets said:

Hopefully Colin gets that big win and opportunity to kiss his fella, whoever he may be.

Maybe at the end of the season, when they finally win a f'in match? [/Shannon]

Can't really add anything to everyone's wonderful posts, but loved that we got a little more insight as to what Colin talked about with Dr Sharon, and the significance of his mantra from that, and the callback to the Liverpool episode, with Keeley doing a citywide video for Amsterdam, too.  I wonder if she remembers doing this one?

And I do hope she ends up with HDG, and his little girl.  I thought the path to her becoming a mother would be something happening to Sassy, and she ends up raising Nora, but she must be in her mid-teens by now.  

I love that we have so much Trent this season, but I was worried about where that storyline was going.  So relieved by the road it took.  

ETA: Loved that Jamie managed to get his sightseeing in, while still training and messing with Roy at the same time.  Watching their storyline, I kept thinking about how difficult they've said it is to get through scenes together because of the way they crack each other up, and wondered how long it must have taken to film it, given all the funny moments.  Really wish Ted Lasso released gag reels.  I would pay good money to see them.

Edited by LADreamr
Forgot something
  • Like 20
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Wasn't it "gezellig"? The dutch just pronounce their "g"s like "ch"s.

We have "gesellig" in german and while I think it has the same root, it seems to have taken on a bit more meaning in dutch. In german it's more "being together with people you like and having a good time". So kinda the theme of the episode. But your mind, your heart and your soul can't be "gesellig", while seemingly they can be "gezellig".

Argh, yes! I even Googled so I'd know how to spell it, but my brain apparently fizzled out in the time it took me to switch tabs. :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Wink 2

I liked this episode too but I think because the last couple have been such downers. To get the bad stuff out of the way: Keeley's storyline has been a drag this season. I like Barbara and I don't mind Jack, but Keeley has been on another show. I miss the Keeley and Rebecca friendship. It's one thing for her not to be with Roy but she has barely interacted with the team. It is sad that Keeley  being mostly gone this ep was a good thing.

For the mixed bag: I found Rebecca's storyline romcom so cheesey. I question giving her random love interest like this out of almost nowhere with a few eps to go. With Nate getting one last week, it seems this is how the writers will roll as they try to pair out most people in happy endings. Cheese aside, the Dutch actor they got was really smooth and charming. They had chemistry and it was nice watching Rebecca be happy for the first time in many episodes.

I thought Trent was gay from a few episodes ago too so I'm glad it was confirmed. I liked the chat between Trent and Colin. Trent is such a great addition to this cast. I also liked the rest of the story lines as you can't go wrong with the guys having fun.

I absolutely loved Ted's solo adventure the most. Jason's character and acting is the heart of this show. I love Van Gogh and have been in that museum so I thought it was a wonderful scene.

The triangle sequence was the funniest thing I found on this show in a couple eps. It was strange and delightful. Ted was so earnest in it which was great. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Zaffy said:

Unpopular opinion, but for me this episode was "meh"...
I felt that all the "TedLassiness" of it was forced, I found all the stories uninspired, Rebbeca's one awkwardly acted and only the Jazz club and the Colin-Trent ones a tad interesting.
The season continues to feel off, there is no spark, everyone seems tired or bored, especially the lead.

You’re not wrong. 
But did you appreciate the brief and well-setup Piggy Stardust visual joke? 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

And as a Chicagoan, I loved the Chicago mural at the American restaurant.

And of course the waiter was an Australian faking being American because no matter where you go in the world, you’ll probably find an Aussie on a short term work visa there. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 14
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Just to add to the linguistic confusion I had the impression that gezellig was closer to gemütlich than gesellig (but definitely the same root - that makes it what - a false cousin?)

Deepl (which is usually very good) gives a translation of "cozy, fun, sociable" for "gezellig". Which does sound very much like the german "gesellig". It sounded quite different in the show, but how sure are we that the Ted Lasso writers didn't just make some shit up?

Pons also gives quite a few meanings. Some more "gesellig", some more "gemütlich". I feel like these are the kind of nuances you can't figure out unless you actually speak the language. Do I believe the Ted Lasso writers actually consulted some dutch people? I mean they filmed in Amsterdam and had dutch actors. But then again, that has never stoped american/english shows from butchering german before, so the same could be true for the dutch here...

Anybody dutch here who can clear that up? Now I wish my father would have been less of a dick, maybe then I would have learned the language. 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
19 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Do I believe the Ted Lasso writers actually consulted some dutch people? I mean they filmed in Amsterdam and had dutch actors. But then again, that has never stoped american/english shows from butchering german before, so the same could be true for the dutch here...

Some folks on the internet claim that Brendan Hunt does speak Dutch. Since he and Sudeikis lived in Amsterdam for a while I guess that could be true. The episode felt a bit like a love letter to the city so I assume they would pay attention to such details regardless of their linguistic skills. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 9
  • Useful 4
23 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

And as a Chicagoan, I loved the Chicago mural at the American restaurant.

23 hours ago, Capricasix said:

And will someone please tell me who was the guy with the ballcap on the wall in the American restaurant? I feel like he’s a musician - Chance the Rapper maybe?

Yes. And Chance the Rapper has dontated large sums of money to the Chicago Public Schools. 
Does anyone know if that is a real mural in Amsterdam? 
Probably yes? And, if so, probably included in the episode background shots because Brendan Hunt is a Chicagoan, and Jason Sudeikis spent part of his early career there.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Don’t want to repeat too much of what others have said, but I loved that the team finally had a pillow fight, and I enjoyed all of the pairings, especially Roy and Jamie. 

While watching Ted’s triangle-filled inspired haze, I thought of this Donald Duck short; I’m not sure whether that was intentional. I also noticed that “God” was listed in the credits, and was played by “Herself.” I am assuming that’s just supposed to be another S1 callback. 

• Like 7

I don't want Rebecca getting pregnant via a rando. The Netherlands are trying to get away from the sex and drugs reputation of their country. Yes, I have friends in that country and they hate it. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

I found the canal boat scenes kinda scary? She had no phone or her bag and he presumably threw his phone in the water…she takes a shower, drinks tea he promised with a note wasn’t drugged and then she stays for dinner dressed up as his ex? Eww.  I get the point that she shed her armor to find a connection but it was uncomfortable to watch.

Kind of like Ted texting her a dozen times that night…he’s got it bad.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

I don't want Rebecca getting pregnant via a rando. The Netherlands are trying to get away from the sex and drugs reputation of their country. Yes, I have friends in that country and they hate it. 

Can we buy that reputation off of them? Germany's reputation is so boring... and hey, we are about to legalise weed, so...

Just now, scenicbyway said:

She had no phone or her bag and he presumably threw his phone in the water…

Why would he throw his phone in the water? Also he offered to call Rebecca a cab. How would he do that if his phone was in the water?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Can we buy that reputation off of them? Germany's reputation is so boring... and hey, we are about to legalise weed, so...

Why would he throw his phone in the water? Also he offered to call Rebecca a cab. How would he do that if his phone was in the water?

He throws his phone in the water after she asks where hers is. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

From your fingertips to the writers' ears. But I thought it was really rather ambiguous. If she turns up pregnant it will be the worst sort of soap opera trope.

It honestly never occurred to me to be anything other than him saying there was a connection there between them that night, nothing more, until I started reading here and elsewhere about questions about his response.

I cannot tell you how horrified I will be if I interpreted that wrongly.  They would be romanticizing date rape in an episode where they were showing that Rebecca got her confidence back in her personal life.  Horrifying! I know they played fast and loose with power imbalances and ethics last year when they wanted us to root for Rebecca and Sam together, but this would be a bridge too far (giggling now thinking about the bridge upon which they met) & just truly ruin the show for me.  Please let me be right here!

Edited by pennben
  • Like 8
  • Applause 7

I was talking with a friend today who hadn't seen the episode yet.  She said she had fallen asleep during last week's episode.  I told her, "You know how you were kinda meh about that episode?  You're not going to feel that way after this one.  So much fun - and I even shed a tear or two during Colin and Trent's conversation.  

The boys are back in town!  (I expect to hear that song when they finally win a game.)

• Like 4

Just flashed back to long ago soap General Hospital. I remember how Luke & Laura getting married was a moment & rating shattering event. And then remembered it was after him raping her. How screwed up were we way back when!!!!  Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, but I was rooting for the wedding at the time. How in the hell was that ever conceived as a storyline & how on gods green earth did we see it as a love story for the ages???  Im embarrassed for younger me!

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2

I find myself really sad about the many may posts going the date-rape route. The exposure in the last few years of the many sexual harassment cases has tilted our perception too far. Yes, we need to be observant and careful but not forget that the absolute majority of men are decent & empathetic. Rebecca is not a young inexperienced girl and despite clearly being attracted to her he stepped back at each point that she was indecisive. There were zero red flags if you allow her the courtesy of being able to use her own judgement about his character.

• Like 8
  • Applause 13
5 hours ago, Turtle Wexler said:

I’m honestly confused as to why a number of people think that Rebecca and the Dutch guy had sex. We clearly see him realize she’s fallen asleep; he puts the blanket over her and goes to his bedroom and slides the door closed. 

She asks the next morning without being direct, but he figures it out and says “No.” His later “we did,” is returning to his use/explanation of “gezellig,” and is in reference to, as others have pointed out, their emotional connection. Rebecca and he dumped water on her clothes so they’d have to dry even longer than the 2:49; while the long drying time initially annoyed Rebecca, she realized how much she was enjoying his company and didn’t want to leave. 

This show has never been shy about making it clear that people have had sex/are going to have sex. If the writers wanted Rebecca and the guy to have sex, they would have made it obvious. It strains credulity that they’d go for a plot line about nonconsensual sex. (Especially in an episode where Roy asks Jamie about being traumatized by his visit to the brothel at 14.) If they were to do that, more than 6 episodes would be needed to address the ramifications.

Because Rebecca asks.
Rebecca asks: “did we…?” 
 And although:

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I guess that [Gezelligheid] explains Rebecca's most-terrible-question-asked-by-a-woman-written-by-men. 
So she's talking about feeling an intimate closeness without any physical morning afterness? 
And Brendan Hunt is poking fun at all those horrible morning after questions ever written by men for female characters to say?
I hope so.

Apparently there’s a television history of such questionable “love stories” that teleplay writer of this episode Brendan Hunt either accidentally or purposely triggered memories of?:

4 hours ago, pennben said:

Just flashed back to long ago soap General Hospital. I remember how Luke & Laura getting married was a moment & rating shattering event. And then remembered it was after him raping her. How screwed up were we way back when!!!!  Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, but I was rooting for the wedding at the time. How in the hell was that ever conceived as a storyline & how on gods green earth did we see it as a love story for the ages???  Im embarrassed for younger me!

• Like 1

I just want to echo what an awesome episode this was, possibly one of my favorites of the whole series. I feel like we are finally getting out of the woods. The team is gelling again, Rebecca is feeling more fulfilled, and Ted has figured out how to save the team thanks to a triangle of onion rings. Every pairings was an absolute delight, Trent and Colin talking about Colin's feelings about being closeted, Roy and Jamie riding bikes, the team's pillow fight, Rebecca having a meet cute, Higgins and Will jamming out in a jazz club, so many people here have already described why this episode was so great and there were so many little bits that I adored, like the guy who gave Roy and Jamie the bikes immediately showing up out of nowhere to grab the bike the second they got to the bus, Dani begging to see a single Tulip while there are Tulips obviously in the background in the vase, Rebecca's face when she saw the girls room on that sweet houseboat, this was just such a rich episode. 

I really hope that Rebecca finds the sexy houseboat guy again, he is clearly her perfect match, complete with a daughter that she can be a step-mother to. Just because she cant have a biological child doesn't mean that she cant still be a parent, everything would come together. I have no idea how anyone could have watched that and think that a date rape occurred, no way would this show play coy with a sexual assault like that, especially after we just got that scene where Jamie talked about how his horrible dad paid a hooker to have sex with him when he was only fourteen, which is just so fucked up, good god. 

"A friendly is a pretend match. This is a pretend conversation. Your a pretend person. And I'm having a really hard time pretending to give a shit." Roy Kent everyone! A true wordsmith. 

So many questions. Will Rebecca ever see her sexy Dane again? Did Will end up sleeping with that sexy beret couple? And, most importantly, who voted for seeing that single Tulip in Spanish?! It could have been anyone!

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

I think the fact that people are questioning whether or not Rebecca slept with Boat Boy shows how poorly conceived Rebecca's random rom-com and Boat Boy's comment at the end was. 

And the more I think about it, the more annoyed I get at Jason and the writers room (mostly full of men, no doubt) who would think a woman who loses her phone would put herself in that vulnerable position with a man who is a complete stranger for an afternoon/night, and all that time they don't even exchange names. Usually, the Hallmark trope is that the person is stranded. Rebecca wasn't stranded, she was in a city and not far from her hotel that she walked from. It was just trite, and it kind of made Rebecca, a normally intelligent woman, look foolish.

Which I guess tracks with Keeley who somehow has been dumbed down this season with not knowing a thing about her own PR firm. She couldn't take a six week holiday with boyfriend Roy because she wanted to focus on starting her business, but what did she do in all that time? Pick out office decoration?! 

It's like our lovable male characters get nuanced if not a little kooky development, and the whopping two female leads of the show get trite tropes. 

Just my opinion, of course. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 13
12 hours ago, pennben said:

They would be romanticizing date rape in an episode where they were showing that Rebecca got her confidence back in her personal life.  Horrifying!

If you are both blackout drunk it's probably not a good idea but it's certainly not daterape unless one person is clearly much worse off than the other. We saw him leave her on the couch and close the door of the bedroom behind himself. So if anything might have happened, it would have been Rebecca stumbling into his bedroom in the middle of the night. Unless you are saying that she dateraped him. Which I think would still be off. But would be the only possible interpretation.

But I'm 99% sure nothing sexual happened so it's kinda moot.

11 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

There was nothing ambiguous about it. Ted Lasso is not going to throw in a rape storyline. 

I don't see how in any world that would be a rape storyline.

• Like 4

I also loved the wacky American themed restaurant that so earnestly tried to duplicate Americans in such a hysterical way. 4 stars for effort. When I was in northern Sweden in the 1980s, there was a TV show called “Jan’s Country Cooking” or something like that….It was a famous Swedish chef cooking American themed food. It was so weirdly entertaining….like Ted’s restaurant.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Turtle Wexler said:

While watching Ted’s triangle-filled inspired haze, I thought of this Donald Duck short;

OMG! Me too! Donald in Mathmagicland!!!!! My first thought too!!!!!!

Add me to the group that doesn't like Keeley's story this season. I still hold out hope she ends up with Roy......

Loved so many things - Keeley's ad, Beard and Ted cheers, tap, drink with the tea just like the beer, the inability to make a decision in a group that size (never change Dani!). Everything with Roy and Jamie (except Jamie's hair - wft is happening there????). Will and Trent Crimm. Higgins jamming on bass in a turtleneck. Piggy Stardust. All wonderful.

Can't decide about Rebecca's adventure - in a world of not believable, this was a step too far for me just because what are the odds of being rescued by the perfect man? I do agree with everyone that she becomes a stepmom and is not pregnant, which IS more believable, so this is where I'm torn. I'll just go with it. But can someone explain why that dryer was taking 5 hours to dry her clothes? And I'm not talking about when they threw more water on them to keep it going. Are dryers really low energy in europe or something?

• Love 1

What I loved about this episode was that every single scenario felt like it could have been part of someone's trip. None of it was anything that would have happened in London, everything was out there, and it was all transformative in some way. Bravo, TL!

I had a heart attack reading the folks who think Rebecca will end up pregnant, so glad others talked me off the ledge. 

If I had to choose a standout from this episode, I'd say Colin. I enjoyed getting to know that character more, and the actor did a great job with great material. Not that I had a negative opinion of the actor, but this performance was refreshing and even a little surprising. Trent was also refreshing -- he brought a new dimension to that role. I'll admit I was a little worried he was going to screw Colin over. Wonderful to see how characters on this show support each other. 

• Like 9
4 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I don't see how in any world that would be a rape storyline.

Because she’s passed out on the couch and you have people in this thread thinking he said they had sex. If a woman is passed out on a couch and you have sex with her, that is rape!! 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Because she’s passed out on the couch and you have people in this thread thinking he said they had sex. If a woman is passed out on a couch and you have sex with her, that is rape!! 

You do know people can wake up? I woke up just this morning.

He put a blanked over her, went into his bedroom and closed the door behind him. If anything happened (which it didn't) Rebecca came to him.

• Like 5

There was certainly some heavy foreshadowing in this episode. I do think it's strongly hinting at Ted leaving, if not permanently, going on a long hiatus and packing up back to Kansas. I think he's been in over his head this season and it's becoming too hard to be away from his son. You can take the yank out of america but you can't take the american out of the yank. It's also the last season of the show, so it would make sense. 

Roy and Jamie's mentorship has been the highlight of the season for me. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

JFC, he did not have sex with her!! He covered her with a blanket  and went to his room to sleep! What do you guys want, to watch the entire an accelerated video of the night passing to prove that nothing happened? This is nonsense. The entire Rebeca/Dutchman plot was not written, directed, shot or acted in that way, and, on top of that, this is Ted Lasso, a show where this would never happen.

I don't get people are so pissed off by Rebecca rom-com. Could it have been beter written? Sure, but then a shit ton of stuf should be better written. Yeah, yeah, it's absurd that Rebecca would no know the damn bike line, fall in the canal, lose her phone and stay there, but you know what is absurd too? That stupid pillow fight that woud never ever happen. I can see a woman, in our real life, making a spur of the moment decision and staying for dinner without her phone (something a woman Rebecca's age has experienced before), etc etc. I cannot, for the life of me, see a team of 20's something footballers, into a pillow fight in public (sort of). They would be chasing girls in some bar/party.

It's funny because some of you see Ted going back to Kansas, when for me it was all about 'you can't really go home anymore'. I think that if goes back to US, it will be to sort custody and have Henry with him in UK.

Highlights for me:

- How all the Dutches were a bit Jan Maas, saying the truth (his scene with the reporter was hilarious;
- Isaac going all youtube coach on his 'we have to stick together';
- The whole Van Gogh experience. As someone who has cried in that same museum a few times, I can absolutely relate to how touching is to see his art;
- Roy and Jaimie;
- Will and Higgins;
- Trent and Colin (so well done).

I really wish they had gone to Jan Maas' cousin party and Keeley plot was a big nothing for me.

• Like 14
  • Applause 6

So I've been thinking about the events the fortune teller predicted.

First was Sam, a man she was very compatible with in terms of personality but a relationship didn't work due to the age difference and power imbalance.

Then was whats-his-name. A man that is perfect for her on paper, but a horrible match in every way that matters.

Now there's been the Dutchman. I'm not certain if we'll see him again or if this is just to show what would make Rebecca happy.

• Like 3
On 4/19/2023 at 5:28 PM, MissLucas said:

Just to add to the linguistic confusion I had the impression that gezellig was closer to gemütlich than gesellig (but definitely the same root - that makes it what - a false cousin?)

Adding to the confusion, as a Dutch speaking person and after googling both those words I feel it is closer to gesellig but I can get on board with gemütlich

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

JFC, he did not have sex with her!! He covered her with a blanket  and went to his room to sleep!

Uh yeah, I know. That’s exactly what I just said. I can’t believe people here think otherwise when it was so clearly depicted onscreen.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 9

It’s as if the writers knew that Keeley’s storyline was dragging the whole show, so took her out to make a very enjoyable episode. 
I am hoping that Rebecca and the boat guy didn’t end up hooking up after she fell asleep (maybe she went to his room later on), so she’s pregnant by the end of the series. That would be too much, even for this show. 

Will and Higgins were so much fun to watch. Loved that he got to perform in front of everyone.

Jamie teaching Roy to ride a bike was absolutely hilarious. 

I hope Collin gets his moment if they ever win another game. His conversation with Trent was one of the highlights of this episode, besides the pillow fight and Roy falling off a bike.

• Like 4

I have no issues with rom com’s.  I just hate that her meet cute is her doing everything we drill into our children not to do.  

Have them share a table at a crowded restaurant, get stuck in an elevator, anything other than “if you’re in a foreign country and lose your phone while being catcalled by a stranger, by all means go home with him and eat and drink everything he offers you and spend the night sleeping in his ex’s clothes because he’s hot and probably okay.”  My imagination doesn’t go that far.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 4/21/2023 at 10:59 AM, Crs97 said:

I have no issues with rom com’s.  I just hate that her meet cute is her doing everything we drill into our children not to do.  
Have them share a table at a crowded restaurant, get stuck in an elevator, anything other than “if you’re in a foreign country and lose your phone while being catcalled by a stranger, by all means go home with him and eat and drink everything he offers you and spend the night sleeping in his ex’s clothes because he’s hot and probably okay.”  My imagination doesn’t go that far.

Yes, and I suspect Brendan Hunt wrote this intending it all to be so over the top, romcom tropey that it was funny. 
Brendan Hunt seems like a very nice, intelligent guy (saw him on Celebrity Jeopardy) but I think this episode would have resonated better with more of us if a woman had been asked to at least suggest a few edits.
I tried to go along with Rebecca doing everything you should not do in that situation, right up until she asked "Did we?"
It is a familiar romcom line used in the past, presumably as a joke, which is apparently supposed to imply that she wonders if the guy's dick was so small and/or he ejaculated so prematurely that she can't tell???
Just not my idea of humor, because...
But, as we say, "milage varies."
And I have a weak sense of humor.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Applause 2