Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Sunflowers

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think the machine on the boat may have been a combo washer/dryer machine to save space.  Those are popular in Europe.  Then the dryer is definitely not larger than the washer, as we are used to in the US.

Probably everything anyone here wants to read on the subject of Hot Boat Guy's washer-dryer combo unit can be found here: https://home.howstuffworks.com/washer-dryer-combos.htm
—but, of course, when to throw in additional cups of water is not covered.

Or, we could delve further into clothes lines, drying racks, my trials and tribulations with a really deep top-loading washer sans aggitator, etc. by dragging the discussion to the Small Talk thread

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I had one of those washer/dryer combos. Great idea. Poor execution. 

I really liked this episode. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot more of the character-based antics that we saw in previous seasons. 

I do feel like they are trying to cram in a couple season's worth of character into this final season, though. I think Rebecca's sudden meet cute and rom-com would have worked better if we had more about her struggles to move on past Rupert. She didn't just get dumped--she got dumped into his world, not the world where she was a bartender worn down by the rich guy's persistence. She's never been Single Rich Rebecca as much as Former Mrs. Mannion. 

There was a lot about self-acceptance in this episode (obviously) but I think that was part of the charm. We got to look at these characters and what's motivating/driving them a bit and as many have become people we like to spend time with, this sort of creative use has a strong appeal. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, AncientNewbie said:

She didn't just get dumped--she got dumped into his world, not the world where she was a bartender worn down by the rich guy's persistence. She's never been Single Rich Rebecca as much as Former Mrs. Mannion. 

Her history has confused me.  Didn’t Sassy say she was nicknamed Stinky because she was stinking rich?

• Like 2
On 5/2/2023 at 7:18 PM, Crs97 said:

Her history has confused me.  Didn’t Sassy say she was nicknamed Stinky because she was stinking rich?

Not "stinking rich." but her family is rich.  She mentioned how her dad would buy her mom an expensive, ecologically responsible gift during one of their many break-up/make-ups.  And we do hear he bought an apology Tesla.  Even so I think Rupert's wealth is in a whole different category than Rebecca's family's wealth.  He has the kind that comes with connections and power brokering. 

But, I didn't think Rupert's attractiveness to Rebecca was because of his wealth. She made it sound like it was his laser focus attention on her, his  persistence, and making her feel seen and special.  From what I remember, her parents were a bit of a mess.  So Rupert wanting her like that probably convinced her he'd be the first step in creating the family she wanted, not the one she had.

• Like 7
On 4/19/2023 at 9:18 AM, MissLucas said:

Oh, that was great. An no way Ted been given a live lesson by a museum guide in front of Van Gogh's sunflowers was not a shout out to one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever!

Yes!  Vincent and The Doctor - one of my top favorites.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:34 PM, Capricasix said:

And will someone please tell me who was the guy with the ballcap on the wall in the American restaurant?

We were wondering that too - we lived in Chicagoland for 40 years; husband is a big sports fan and didn't recognize him.  I assumed he was a player for the White Sox.  I did quite a bit of research.  First I though Ozzie Guillen because it looks like him, but he was #13.  Now I'm convinced it's Harold Baines; I gather they retired his number 3.  At least I knew who #23 on the Bulls was!

Husband and I weren't fans of this episode but after reading all the comments, I appreciate it more. To me, some of the epiphanies were incorporated into the scenes in a more subtle way (Ted, Roy and Jamie, Higgins and Will), others were forced and went too long (Rebecca, Colin and Trent, the team).  Halfway through I said, at least no Nate.   Loved the homage to Butch Cassidy, although it should be noted the bicycle riding scene in the movie was Butch and Etta, not Sundance.

(NYT did not completely  agree with me   https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/19/arts/television/ted-lasso-season-3-episode-6-recap-dutch-treat.html).

• Like 3
On 4/18/2023 at 10:34 PM, Capricasix said:

And will someone please tell me who was the guy with the ballcap on the wall in the American restaurant?

4 hours ago, CatWarmer said:

We were wondering that too - we lived in Chicagoland for 40 years;

In addition to most of the 60s and 70s, I lived in Chicagoland from 2001-2021. 
If you didn't recognize Chance The Rapper, I'm guessing your sojourn was in a different era?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

In addition to most of the 60s and 70s, I lived in Chicagoland from 2001-2021. 
If you didn't recognize Chance The Rapper, I'm guessing your sojourn was in a different era?

1975 to 2015, city then suburbs.  I may have heard the name but had no idea who he was. I see his career started about 2011 so for me, yes, long after I was in the suburbs and not my music style.  I assumed the mural would have had older iconic Chicago figures.  Like Michael Jordan!  But from photos I do see the cap with the 3 was iconic.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 4/24/2023 at 6:33 AM, Capricasix said:

I still laugh at Rebecca’s concern about a “giant Dutch woman” - Hannah W has to be six feet tall at least!

But she was probably feeling uncharacteristically short with her high heels at the bottom of the canal!

I was excited when I saw they were in Amsterdam as I’ve heard about when Jason and Brendan used to live there. And then they were going to do a Beard’s Night Out, but for everyone? Awesome! Count me as one of the people who loved this ep (except for the awkward question and later response between Rebecca and HBG at the end). Roy and Jamie were especially *chef’s kiss* Of course Jamie’s prostitute wasn’t traumatized by him and he left her happy! 😂And I’m so glad Trent is confirmed gay; that was beautiful. 

The way Jason’s face just melted as the docent quoted Van Gogh to him was brilliant. I think he did get a touch of psychedelic, even if the threshold was too low for Beard and the driver. Enough to give him some of that brain blanket of snow!

Edited by ahisma
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

I think this will go down as one of my favorite episodes of tv ever.  So many laughs, so much joy.  The characters are returning to their authentic selves.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I’m rewatching the season since it’s raining nonstop and I’ve come to the conclusion that despite the swings and misses of season 3 I don’t know of an episode of television that has made me smile as much as this one in quite some time.

And I think that means something.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
On 4/18/2023 at 10:08 PM, sharifa70 said:

I loved this episode so much. That is all.

I could see how some might, but I hated it. This show is so cloying and unrealistic. It’s like Andy Griffith, except we all live in the real world with Lasso so we know how ridiculous it is. Becca stumbles upon a perfect gentleman with a houseboat - not a murderer! Ted thinks he is drugged when he is perfectly able to function traveling around a new city… of course he isn’t. But he has an idea! Shoot, the hotel employees laugh as the team destroys pillows and the lounge. Ugh.

I can buy Jaime and Roy and the bikes (though Jaime is suddenly super understanding). I can enjoy the eccentricities of Coach Beard. I wish Trent was OK with Colin being gay because who the hell cares anymore, and not because Trent is also gay (that played like 1998 or so, weird).

But the endless wonderful things that happen when the odds are far more likely that they don’t end well, goodness. I can barely hang on for the sickly sweet finale.

I loved this episode.  Best part by far was Jamie and Roy.  They started off on this show as definitely hating each other, and it's been fun watching their friendship develop this season.  I loved Jamie teaching Roy how to ride a bike.  The whole sequence was hilarious.  And after Roy crashes his bike, he rides sidesaddle on the back of Jamie's with one hand wrapped around Jamie.  The old Roy and Jamie would never have done this.

The Triangles bit reminded me of something that would be seen during one of those slow moving rides at Epcot.  Or the video that shows during the ride/tour in the first Jurassic Park movie.

• Like 2