Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Patrick's Journey

• Start Topic

Patrick's weight has never been a bother -- not to him, nor to his wife, Amanda. Now, however, he's so big that it's getting in the way of his relationship with his daughter. If he wants to see her graduate high school, he'll have to reverse course.

Original air date 2022.03.22

Season finale

5 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Dr. Now should start asking the spouse/feeder what they make the patient for breakfast. That “I snack too much” crap would be put to bed. 

When the spouse doesn’t lose a pound you know the home is still full of junk food. 
I really didn’t see much of a difference in how Patrick looked.

• Like 12
43 minutes ago, Chatty Cake said:

When the spouse doesn’t lose a pound you know the home is still full of junk food. 
I really didn’t see much of a difference in how Patrick looked.

That is why last week showed how the success of the person depends on the family making changes too. 

• Like 11

Well, that was interesting.  The large tattoo of a women squatting with her hand in her privates, on his back was nasty.  No wonder they blacked it out.

Patrick's breakfast was mind boggling and apparently wore him out to the point he had to take a nap!  Only to wake up and eat lunch.  I don't know how he will ever break the cycle as he showed zero interest in changing.

• Like 17
  • Mind Blown 1
14 minutes ago, gaPeach said:

Well, that was interesting.  The large tattoo of a women squatting with her hand in her privates, on his back was nasty.  No wonder they blacked it out.

Patrick's breakfast was mind boggling and apparently wore him out to the point he had to take a nap!  Only to wake up and eat lunch.  I don't know how he will ever break the cycle as he showed zero interest in changing.

Yikes and yecch - glad I didn't see that tat. 

Patrick's comfort zone is obesity and he's addicted to eating food. He must have some motivation to change, because he went through a year of all that. But. After 12 months he'd lost 129 pounds. That's not nothing, but short of the goals Dr. Now had set him along the way. 

I quit watching this show more than a year ago, after just too many bed-bound 700+ pound seriously dysfunctional participants. This episode was my first peek at it in quite awhile. At least Patrick was able to get out of bed, dress in real clothing, walk, and drive a car. And he wasn't living in filth. I know - low bar. 😂  He's immature and self-centered, and his beloved wife/feeder appears to know sh*t about nutrition.

I keep wondering, about Patrick and many other poundticipants, what would have happened if when they were at, say, 300 pounds, their feeders said "If you want your damn breakfast, get into the kitchen and make it yourself." In Patrick's case he might have just hopped in his truck and done a big drive-thru purchase. So probably wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Ya know, I can be a junk food junkie sometimes. But even *I* wasn't tempted by the corndog and tater tot meal. Gosh, maybe I have standards after all! 🤣

• Like 6
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, gaPeach said:

36 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Yikes and yecch - glad I didn't see that tat. 

All I saw was a leg visible in the gap in his hospital gown and that was enough.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 7

What was up with the wife's eyes?

I don't get her-man cheats on you & you stay-he turns into an enormous useless blob and you wait on him hand and foot, even washing his balls and putting his socks on for him? She needs some therapy. She seemed like a bot, just replying emotionlessly 'yes, dear' 'that sounds like a good idea' 'I'm so proud of you' She was so....blank.

• Like 22
2 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

I don't get her-man cheats on you & you stay-he turns into an enormous useless blob and you wait on him hand and foot, even washing his balls and putting his socks on for him? She needs some therapy. She seemed like a bot, just replying emotionlessly 'yes, dear' 'that sounds like a good idea' 'I'm so proud of you' She was so....blank.

She struck me as depressed.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

She struck me as depressed.

I was thinking depression or self medicating or both. She didn't seem out of it mentally when she talked.

She also looked to have gained weight. She needs to be on the Dr. Now diet too.

• Like 8

This show needs to go back to its original one-hour format. I get bored to tears just watching the poundparticipant wait for Dr. Now to walk in to Room Five after the weigh-in. And the voice overs are always the same. "I don't know how that happened. I've been working really hard and sticking to the diet." "Well, that's not exactly how much weight Dr. Now wanted me to lose, but it is a loss. So hopefully he will approve me for weight loss surgery." 

• Like 13
  • Applause 2

The Live Chat is closed but I wanted to comment on the post that said that Dr. Now wouldn't have sent Patrick home the day of the surgery after he was already gowned up and ready to head to the OR. Am I imagining it, or did this exact thing happen to a poundticipant when they failed the pre-surgery weigh in? 

• Like 6

I think at this point Dr. Now is agreeing to surgery just to save the patient's life short-term. I don't see this guy ever getting to a normal weight, especially since he seemed to have no goals or ambitions, and I suspect his body is already ruined.

• Like 9

I really don’t like it when asked who gives them the food and they blame a family member. He did admit later on he asks for it.  When they don’t take responsibility with Dr. Now I usually see a pattern of them not losing or being very motivated throughout. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, nokat said:

I was thinking depression or self medicating or both. She didn't seem out of it mentally when she talked.

She also looked to have gained weight. She needs to be on the Dr. Now diet too.

I also noticed the squinting eyes and "vacant" look from time to time.  Importantly, Patrick OWNED his own home in a very advantageous real estate market.  I wondered how he was able to purchase a home as, unless I'm forgetting something, he had no source of employment?  

The wife didn't strike me as being able to financially survive without Patrick's financial reserves so I attributed her state of enabling "compliance" to that fact. 

In the end, I think the family had a reasonably "stable" situation; HOWEVER, I wouldn't waste another ounce of effort or resources filming any more of them.  Frankly, the entire episode was a snooze fest with very little incentive for the viewer to really care about Patrick's weight-loss success.

• Like 8
8 hours ago, gaPeach said:

The large tattoo of a women squatting with her hand in her privates, on his back was nasty. 

A lot of people on this show had awful tattoos, but his can be voted the worse. 

I had a cousin who talked with her eyes closed. My mom said cousin's father was like that. But she wasn't drugged up.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I don't care if Patrick reaches his goal weight, he'll still be the same person that paid for those nasty tattoos. 

I think the 'camping' trip, and the fishing at the end were both just for the cameras.  The camera crew didn't like him either, I say that because they showed every second of his drive thru visits, including the cost.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

Importantly, Patrick OWNED his own home in a very advantageous real estate market.  I wondered how he was able to purchase a home as, unless I'm forgetting something, he had no source of employment?  

The wife didn't strike me as being able to financially survive without Patrick's financial reserves so I attributed her state of enabling "compliance" to that fact. 

Patrick had worked in a variety of job, most recently repo man, but said that he had not held a job since he weighed 400 pounds, which was at least a couple of years ago. The wife said that she did not work outside the home though I suppose the care and feeding of Patrick is a full time job at least.

I missed parts here and there, but for some reason, I had the impression that maybe Patrick's father had owned the home and surrounding land and left it to him when he died? Otherwise, yeah. I don't know how they could have owned their home either.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I'm pretty irritated that they closed the season out with this snoozer of an episode. Haley was the only person I could root for at all. 

6 hours ago, Emkat said:

What the hell is the wife on? She's barely holding her eyes open.

Yeah, I was like, is that opioids or benzos? She was on the edge of nodding out the whole time.

Sadly, Patrick may have been diagnosed with cancer last month if we trust these sources:

https://tvshowsace.com/2023/03/22/patrick-macon-devastating-diagnosis-600lb-life/

https://www.facebook.com/amanda.wright.507

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
8 hours ago, Emkat said:

What the hell is the wife on? She's barely holding her eyes open.

I thought something was definitely off with her, she seemed either totally over this guy, or not very smart or something. All of her “lines” seemed so canned to me. I wondered if the producers had to beg her to speak.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, IvySpice said:

they closed the season out with this snoozer of an episode. Haley was the only person I could root for at all. 

That's IT????  That's the entire SEASON?  The season was 2 months long?  If that's true, the sad and sorry episodes they aired (with very few exceptions) must have been the best of all the filming they did so we can only imagine what the "reject reels" must have looked like!  In any event,  The reduction of viewable episodes may be a harbinger of the show's demise on TLC.

Dr. Now surely deserves a well-earned retirement and his son, Jonathan, certainly can choose future projects with presumably no further financial "pressure" to produce another "money-maker."  LOL😆

Edited by pdlinda
  • Like 5
7 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

The reduction of viewable episodes may be a harbinger of the show's demise on TLC.

Honestly, probably for the best, except I would sorely miss all our chat friends. It's probably the main reason I still watch.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Honestly, probably for the best, except I would sorely miss all our chat friends. It's probably the main reason I still watch.

I would say that there are more than enough "classical" episodes in the "can" for us to keep in touch on these boards for decades to come!!  At least I HOPE SO!!

• Like 3
15 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I would say that there are more than enough "classical" episodes in the "can" for us to keep in touch on these boards for decades to come!!  At least I HOPE SO!!

I've always wondered how many potential patients' "journeys" are filmed each season. Some must fizzle out and end up on the cutting room floor. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I've always wondered how many potential patients' "journeys" are filmed each season. Some must fizzle out and end up on the cutting room floor. 

Journey always makes me smirk, because for many the only journey is the one to the bathroom, if even. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Journey always makes me smirk, because for many the only journey is the one to the bathroom, if even. 

As does the phrase, "I didn't lose what Dr. Now said, but I hope he's happy with all the HARD WORK I've been doing!"

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I remember there was one so called “journey” where the poundticipant never even got out of BED and didn’t travel to Houston at all. The entire episode was filmed in her bedroom. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 6

Patrick was a  complete a$$ and I felt no sympathy for him. I did, however, want to smack that constant smirk off his face. I’m disappointed and angry that Dr. Now approved him for surgery. Maybe he has a quota to meet, because Patrick certainly wasn’t deserving of it. 

His wife not only enabled him with food, but also with her words. There’s a line between being supportive and blowing smoke up someone’s butt. Everything he did was “wonderful,” “great,” “awesome,” even when he only lost a few pounds. She could have been supportive while also keeping it real. 

The only person I liked in this episode was his daughter Hayley. Heck, I didn’t even like Dr. Now in this one. Why oh why did he approve this jacka$$ for surgery?!

Edited by Phoebe70
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Why is everything a journey? Why I can't I just live? Why can't I just be? 

George Costanza

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

I would be shocked if Patrick after his 'massive' (yes, sarcasm) loss of 1 pound in months, didn't order a massive order at the nearest drive thru.     I bet the highlight of his life was discovering Whataburger when he came to Texas.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 3/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, Phoebe70 said:

His wife not only enabled him with food, but also with her words. There’s a line between being supportive and blowing smoke up someone’s butt. Everything he did was “wonderful,” “great,” “awesome,” even when he only lost a few pounds. She could have been supportive while also keeping it real. 

After seeing his outbursts at Dr Now, I get the feeling that he gets very angry when he doesn’t get what he wants (food), and doesn’t want to hear any criticism, so she just tells him what he wants to hear. 

I would say that I feel bad for her, but I wouldn’t have stayed after he fathered a child with someone else while married to me. 

• Like 9
On 3/23/2023 at 10:13 AM, Pi237 said:

She gave me addict vibes. There was a missing piece there. Like, I’ll help you with your addiction, you ignore mine.

• Like 5

I have this episode on in the background tonight and couldn’t help but wonder if Patrick’s daily “heart pain” might actually result from gallbladder issues. My brother had problems with his gallbladder for years and after one particularly bad bout he entered the hospital for surgery where they found Stage 4 cancer. 

• Sad 2
On 3/23/2023 at 5:49 PM, IvySpice said:

Sadly, Patrick may have been diagnosed with cancer last month if we trust these sources:

https://tvshowsace.com/2023/03/22/patrick-macon-devastating-diagnosis-600lb-life/

https://www.facebook.com/amanda.wright.507

11 hours ago, magemaud said:

I have this episode on in the background tonight and couldn’t help but wonder if Patrick’s daily “heart pain” might actually result from gallbladder issues. My brother had problems with his gallbladder for years and after one particularly bad bout he entered the hospital for surgery where they found Stage 4 cancer. 

Yep - according to the article linked by @IvySpice in the quoted post, Patrick has been diagnosed with gall bladder and bile duct cancer. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Sad 4
On 3/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, PearlClutcher said:

I'm so very sorry to read this. 💔

Imo, he's a manipulator.  He has zero respect for her.

All of these poundicipants have to be master manipulators, especially the immobile ones who depend on others to bring, prepare and serve their food.  Sheesh, I have a hard time convincing someone to share a stick of gum . . .

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

All of these poundicipants have to be master manipulators, especially the immobile ones who depend on others to bring, prepare and serve their food.  Sheesh, I have a hard time convincing someone to share a stick of gum . . .

I know!

I sometimes wonder where the tipping point (I hate that term but it works here) was for some of these poundticipants. Especially the least mobile of them. Was it overnight? As in, one day they were getting out of bed and making or buying their own meals, and the next they were sitting or lying on their butts while their feeder(s) brought them their food. Or did it kind of phase in, where they were sometimes feeding themselves and sometimes relying on their feeder(s), and then it sort of faded into the feeder(s) being responsible 100% of the time? 

IIRC at least Patrick could get out of bed, walk, drive, and dress himself in regular clothes. I assume that if his feeder-wife hadn't been willing to cook him those meals he'd have managed to get his own, if only by doing huge drive-through runs.

I'm also dumbfounded by how those dynamics work. If I had to rely on my manipulative wiles to be fed - I'd starve! 🤣

• LOL 5
On 4/4/2023 at 7:57 AM, Jeeves said:

I'm also dumbfounded by how those dynamics work. If I had to rely on my manipulative wiles to be fed - I'd starve! 🤣

I'm sure we'd all chip in. Get door dash to bring you food. But only oranges🍊 and grapes🍇. 🤓

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 3/31/2023 at 7:28 AM, Jeeves said:

Yep - according to the article linked by @IvySpice in the quoted post, Patrick has been diagnosed with gall bladder and bile duct cancer. 

That’s sad to hear. My god mother died of bile duct cancer March 2021 (she left me her dog). It’s a nasty disease. I hope he gets well for his daughter’s sake. 

• Sad 1

On 3/23/2023 at 3:30 PM, silversage said:

When they don’t take responsibility with Dr. Now I usually see a pattern of them not losing or being very motivated throughout. 

My favorite lack of responsibility in the episode was when he was talking about the move and said the dishes were packed so they couldn't follow the diet.  Wow, just wow.  First of all, the dishes did not pack themselves, he did, so it's not like it was some unforeseen event imposed on him.  Second, if he literally meant "dishes" and not pots and pans, then what were they eating all their non-diet food on, and why couldn't they put their diet food on that?  Third, if they indeed were only getting takeout, there are plenty of healthier take-out options.  He is just a walking excuse machine.

• Like 2