Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

I could see some of it being nervous laughter in spots, in that they're not entirely sure where some of his monologue is going/he's talking about some heavy stuff...but yeah, I think people just weren't used to late night hosts getting serious and sincere like that. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Zella said:

That was a really thoughtful monologue, but it really stands out to me how the audience hysterically laughs at everything, to the point that he has to tell them that he's actually not making a joke about Anna Nicole Smith dying and what he's saying isn't meant to be funny. 

I actually went to a Craig Ferguson taping back in the day, and the warm up guy basically gives you a pep talk that the audience size is a fraction of the big late night talk shows, which was Craig’s choice, but that means that we had to laugh loudly enough to make up for it. Unless Craig let the warm up guy know that this was a different type of opening, the audience was just following orders. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 7
6 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I actually went to a Craig Ferguson taping back in the day, and the warm up guy basically gives you a pep talk that the audience size is a fraction of the big late night talk shows, which was Craig’s choice, but that means that we had to laugh loudly enough to make up for it. Unless Craig let the warm up guy know that this was a different type of opening, the audience was just following orders. 

I always liked Craig Ferguson.

• Like 14
  • Love 1

This thread has got me thinking about all the alternate universes in which Britney might have lived — like, without the conservatorship. 
At the time she shaved her head and got tats, my same-aged niece was doing the same, but without the fame. My niece has the talent and lifestory to writer her own book, but has not. At least Britney's ghostwriter seems like a good fit as well as a talented and skilled writer: independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/sam-lansky-britney-spears-ghostwriter-b2433069.html

This morning the NYT "The Morning" email had a section on Kanye, another celeb whose brain seems differently wired and who has also gone off the deep end, like @AgathaC posted about Gene Tierny: 

On 10/25/2023 at 5:13 PM, AgathaC said:

This reminds me a bit of Gene Tierney. She also had a mental breakdown (not quite as public). Granted, in her case, she started her career as an adult and had a choice. But her father stole from her and she suffered a lot of tragedy before her breakdown. Her therapist once told her that some people have an odd twist in their brains. If triggered by life situations and stress, it can cause all kinds of problems. But, people with that twist are particularly vulnerable. She felt if she had just had a normal, quiet life, she would never have been triggered.

This was the 1950s, so no clue if that theory is still around, but the Britney situation reminds me of that story.

10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I always liked Craig Ferguson.

That Craig Ferguson monologue @Annber03 posted upthread was wonderful, and still holds up with regards to Britney and TFG (youtu.be/7ZVWIELHQQY).

Craig Ferguson is apparently not always a genius. His puppets always creeped me out even though I loved and even made puppets as a kid. And I don't recall him being very funny. But maybe his "humor" was never supposed to be ha-ha funny.
Anyhoo, now I have a better opinion of Craig Ferguson, who is just 61, and seems to be at least making efforts to examine the effects of "an odd twist in their brain." 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
On 10/24/2023 at 8:16 PM, andromeda331 said:

I wasn't into their music but had no opinion on either one at the time. I really didn't like Justin after the break up and since then. He never seem to stop dumping on Britney or stop bringing her up. Yeah, some break ups are bad and some people really hate their exs but he really came off as a jerk and never changed.

Look at it this way; in thirty years he'll be claiming she was his soulmate.

• Wink 4

John Stamos has a new bio out too.  The former women in his life haven't been happy about what he said about them. Well Rebecca Romijn said she  isn't commenting since she had no prior notice. One of the stories told that's getting the most attention is him saying he caught Teri Copley his former girlfriend of cheating on him with Tony Danza. Teri has apparently doubled down in regards to responding with that they were "very much broken up". 

John Stamos Says He Caught Former Girlfriend Teri Copley in Bed with Tony Danza: 'Worse Than Anything'

John Stamos Admits He Was 'Shattered' After Rebecca Romijn Divorce: 'Maybe She Wasn't the Devil'

This one goes into more details in regards to what he said about Rebecca including accusing her of cheating too.

Why Rebecca Romijn won’t be commenting on ex John Stamos’ bombshell book claims

I read that his book comes in at almost 400 pages. I wondered after finding that out how many more pages there were before being edited to that number. There are quite a few articles on People's website talking about things that were mentioned. Including this one where his son is being used to promote it.

John Stamos' Son Billy Moves His Dad's Memoir to Front of Bookstore to 'Make It Easy' to Find: 'We're So Proud'

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 3
9 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Look at it this way; in thirty years he'll be claiming she was his soulmate.

Only if Mr. Timberlake lives that long- and if Miss Spears dies young.

Keep in mind that Tony Curtis (1925-2010) had initially said that kissing Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962) was 'like kissing Hitler' but after getting enough flak from her fans AND her  becoming a legend in his old age, he wound up spinning their working together on Some Like It Hot (1959) as though she'd been the love of his life!

Also, while Marlene Dietrich (1901-1992) stayed a stunner her entire life, few if any of her flames would claim to have been their soulmate though many were happy to have bragged about having caught her eye. Perhaps since Miss Dietrich wound up outliving most of her colleagues and flames, she wound up getting the last word!

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

John Stamos has a new bio out too.  The former women in his life haven't been happy about what he said about them. Well Rebecca Romijn said she  isn't commenting since she had no prior notice. One of the stories told that's getting the most attention is him saying he caught Teri Copley his former girlfriend of cheating on him with Tony Danza. Teri has apparently doubled down in regards to responding with that they were "very much broken up". 

John Stamos Says He Caught Former Girlfriend Teri Copley in Bed with Tony Danza: 'Worse Than Anything'

John Stamos Admits He Was 'Shattered' After Rebecca Romijn Divorce: 'Maybe She Wasn't the Devil'

This one goes into more details in regards to what he said about Rebecca including accusing her of cheating too.

Why Rebecca Romijn won’t be commenting on ex John Stamos’ bombshell book claims

I read that his book comes in at almost 400 pages. I wondered after finding that out how many more pages there were before being edited to that number. There are quite a few articles on People's website talking about things that were mentioned. Including this one where his son is being used to promote it.

John Stamos' Son Billy Moves His Dad's Memoir to Front of Bookstore to 'Make It Easy' to Find: 'We're So Proud'

The man admitted to setting up a woman to be raped by his friend. Because the friends desire to have sex with a specific woman mattered more than her right to know who she was sleeping with.

I’m generally not a vindictive person but the idea that the women he has been in relationships with have brought him pain fills me with glee. 
Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Alaska Airlines

• Like 13
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
2 hours ago, Makai said:

The man admitted to setting up a woman to be raped by his friend.

Exactly; that is my primary association* with his name ever since he casually revealed that in an interview many years ago, saying it was a shitty thing but not acknowledging the degree of awful, so I don't much care if someone cheated on him, or any other less odious act, even if true. 

*Then his nonsense of recently flexing over initially getting the Olsen twins fired - because they, you know, like babies do, cried in the scene where his character and Dave Coulier's were handling them like they didn't know what they are doing - but then demanding them back because the next set of twins selected also cried and were even uglier, and he's just gross. 

Fuck that guy.  He seemed genuinely gutted when Bob Saget died, but that's about all I'll give him on the humanity front from what I've come across.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 18

John Stamos is so curious to me. I don't think I can recall anyone repeatedly telling on himself so casually and unrepentedly the way he has.  And yet, maybe it's because he's the one talking about his actions instead of being accused of bad behavior, he sort of just skates by.

I'm just thinking of the things he has admitted to.

There's the aforementioned switcheroo where he set up a girl to be assaulted by his friend.

There's the way he discusses Rebecca and how he helped her get started in her acting but then grew to hate her when it appeared that her career was doing better than his.  And only when he was writing his book did he admit that he might have just as much to blame.  If he really hated her for her success, that's not a 50/50 problem, that's a Stamos problem. 

Even in the story where he claims to be a victim of Teri Copley cheating on him with Tony Danza, he comes off as a stalker.  He says she doesn't return his calls so he goes over to her house and looks in.  He then goes into her guest house, uninvited, where he sees her with Tony.  Even if he were her boyfriend (although I believe her that they were broken up), that's not acceptable behavior.

I'd just like someone in an interview to go "that's fucked up, dude." Instead it's all about how great he looks and all the Full House, Beach Boys nostalgia. 

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

On Friday,October 13,2023 Dr.  Rock Brynner,PhD. the son of the late Yul Brynner and his first wife Virginia Gilmore died at age 76 in Salisbury Connecticut of multiple myeloma.

After his parents' split as a teen, Professor Brynner became somewhat of a drifter before he wound up being a road manager for Robbie Robertson's The Band, then becoming Mohammad Ali's bodyguard [!] for a time- the latter of whom liked to joke at the idea of  being ' a poor boy from Louisville being guarded by the Pharaoh's son'! Eventually, he became a Professor of American history having received his doctorate at Columbia University and would use his scholarly gifts to write among other works Empire and Odyssey: The Brynners in Far East Russia and Beyond (2006) which traced his paternal family saga from his paternal-paternal great-grandfather Jules Briner's remarkable journey in the mid-19th century in Switzerland via Japan to him helping to build the new Russian settlement of Vladivostok where he established a department store which would boast not  only the new city's but all of Asia's first elevator  and where  his grandson (Professor Brynner's father)Yul would be born in 1920  in the family's nearby mansion though Yul would later fabricate having been born on Sakhalin Island in 1915 (and even denied his actual maternity).  Although Professor Brynner had two brief early marriages and an unknown number of companions, he would have no offspring but is survived by his four half-sisters by his late father.RIP, Dr. Brynner.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4

9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Only if Mr. Timberlake lives that long- and if Miss Spears dies young.

Keep in mind that Tony Curtis (1925-2010) had initially said that kissing Marilyn Monroe (1926-1962) was 'like kissing Hitler' but after getting enough flak from her fans AND her  becoming a legend in his old age, he wound up spinning their working together on Some Like It Hot (1959) as though she'd been the love of his life!

Also, while Marlene Dietrich (1901-1992) stayed a stunner her entire life, few if any of her flames would claim to have been their soulmate though many were happy to have bragged about having caught her eye. Perhaps since Miss Dietrich wound up outliving most of her colleagues and flames, she wound up getting the last word!

Ugh, all these claims of past loves being "soulmates" or these phony regrets over past relationships (I feel so vindicated in my longtime distaste for John Stamos) are enough to make me grind my teeth into powder.

Speaking of Old Hollywood, here's another reason I love Greta Garbo: she was in a relationship with frequent onscreen partner John Gilbert. He desperately wanted to marry her, but she turned him down several times. Their relationship fizzled out, and he eventually died tragically young. Did Garbo wallow in self-pity? Hell no! A few years after his death, she quit the biz, lived a fabulously eccentric single life, and even went on to say "I can't remember what I ever saw in him". 

A bit callous, one could argue, but her honesty was refreshing (I mean, what did she owe him at that point?), and sure beats the mealy-mouthed, indiscriminate use of the word "soulmate". Garbo lived her life and moved on, good for her. Living in the past is anything but healthy.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Ugh, all these claims of past loves being "soulmates" or these phony regrets over past relationships (I feel so vindicated in my longtime distaste for John Stamos) are enough to make me grind my teeth into powder.

Speaking of Old Hollywood, here's another reason I love Greta Garbo: she was in a relationship with frequent onscreen partner John Gilbert. He desperately wanted to marry her, but she turned him down several times. Their relationship fizzled out, and he eventually died tragically young. Did Garbo wallow in self-pity? Hell no! A few years after his death, she quit the biz, lived a fabulously eccentric single life, and even went on to say "I can't remember what I ever saw in him". 

A bit callous, one could argue, but her honesty was refreshing (I mean, what did she owe him at that point?), and sure beats the mealy-mouthed, indiscriminate use of the word "soulmate". Garbo lived her life and moved on, good for her. Living in the past is anything but healthy.

My two cents: nobody owes the public anything about their past relationships. I wouldn’t waste my time dragging them in the media, and I wouldn’t waste my time claiming they were “soul mates” either. Jane Seymour got on my permanent shit list with pulling that crap with Christopher Reeve (who she probably didn’t even hook up with, she just wanted the attention with a “star crossed” love story) conveniently when he and his wife have been gone for years and can neither confirm nor deny the story—and they were all supposedly friends so for Jane to do that comes off as just so tacky.

Like you said, moving on is the healthier option. Hell, there’s nothing wrong with just saying “it was nice while it lasted but we weren’t right for each other”, especially if it ended amicably. 

• Like 12
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

My two cents: nobody owes the public anything about their past relationships. I wouldn’t waste my time dragging them in the media, and I wouldn’t waste my time claiming they were “soul mates” either. Jane Seymour got on my permanent shit list with pulling that crap with Christopher Reeve (who she probably didn’t even hook up with, she just wanted the attention with a “star crossed” love story) conveniently when he and his wife have been gone for years and can neither confirm nor deny the story—and they were all supposedly friends so for Jane to do that comes off as just so tacky.

Like you said, moving on is the healthier option. Hell, there’s nothing wrong with just saying “it was nice while it lasted but we weren’t right for each other”, especially if it ended amicably. 

Jane Seymour did that?! I mean, I get having a crush on Christopher Reeve (he was ludicrously handsome), but rewriting history like when he isn't even around anymore is kind of sickening. He moved on, Janie, why don't you try doing the same?

If a celebrity's past relationship ends badly, I'd like, just once, for someone to lose the damn rose-colored glasses and admit they're glad it ended. Quit romanticizing every friggin' thing in life, sometimes we go through bad periods, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that. For instance, I doubt Tina Turner lost much sleep after she finally left Ike (or if she did, she got the hell over it in time).

• Like 13
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

If a celebrity's past relationship ends badly, I'd like, just once, for someone to lose the damn rose-colored glasses and admit they're glad it ended. Quit romanticizing every friggin' thing in life, sometimes we go through bad periods, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that. For instance, I doubt Tina Turner lost much sleep after she finally left Ike (or if she did, she got the hell over it in time).

Definitely. But like I said, nobody owes the public anything when it comes to past relationships.

• Like 10
10 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

That's true, but the concept of reticence nowadays is as dead as the dodo.

I’ll say.

And for the record, Christopher never mentioned a word of a supposed fling with Jane while making their movie. It was my understanding that they were simply good friends. And while he would have been the kind of man that would be gentlemanly discreet and not air out dirty laundry to the world if it were true, the way Jane made it sound like he would have married her if hadn’t found out his girlfriend at the time was pregnant sets off my bullshit meter. As if she was the great love of his life, and not his wife Dana who stood by him and whom he loved very much. It’s just so disrespectful to both of him.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 7
  • Applause 9

FWIW, though technically married to a Rudolf Seiber from 1923 until his death in 1976, Marlene Dietrich wound up having affairs with Garbo's onetime flames John Gilbert & the Spanish-American writer Mercedes de Acosta AND Yul Brynner among others. However, as per surviving daughter Maria Riva (born 1924), Miss Dietrich pursued these more as a young girl enthralled with the idea of being in love and/or how she appeared with them rather than as conquests. Moreover, far from hiding these trysts, she and the flames would openly  consult her husband Mr. Seiber for advice! Of course, Mr. Seiber himself had a longtime companion (one Tamara Matul) who he (and Miss Dietrich) treated abominably while Miss Matul was the one who behaved the most like a devoted,faithful spouse out of all  the above. Miss Matul was the one who Mrs. Riva truly felt sympathy and affection for more than all the others.

I know this isn't technically recent news but I thought it would be worth sharing with all this talk of Garbo, John Gilbert and Yul Brynner.

• Like 3
  • Useful 6

Dear God. I wasn’t a fan and his crack about Keanu Reeves was shitty, but I never would have wished this on him. Poor guy.

I have to admit that I did prefer Chandler to Nice Guy Ross and Dumbass Joey.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 13

Terribly, terribly sad news.  Matthew was such a talent and joy to so many of us for so many years and it is tragic he died so young.  We’ve all seen the post-Friends articles and photos and even his own stories of the addictions he fought — just heartbreaking.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 8

I just saw the news about Matthew Perry and I'm in shock.  He was my favorite character on Friends and I liked some of his later work too like Mr. Sunshine and The Odd Couple.  I always hoped he'd be able to overcome his issues. RIP  😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
  • Love 4

Oh my god. This was like a punch to the gut. I  had a huge crush on him growing up in the 90s. I just thought he was so cute and Chandler was my favorite of the Friends’ guys. This is just so damn sad. He fought so hard to get everything on track. The Friends cast is incredibly close. They must be devastated. 

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Sad 18

What an absolute shock.  Like many of you Chandler was my favourite friend.  I also really liked him in The Odd Couple.  Reading the news stories coming out I have just learned for the first time that he went to school in Ottawa once upon a time.  I had no idea.  RIP Matthew.

• Sad 11

I’m just stunned. I was literally watching a rerun of Friends when I happened to look at my phone. He was absolutely my favorite Friend although I loved him since I saw him as the sidekick to my then (forever) crush River Phoenix in A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon.

🥲

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I was holding on to a sliver of hope this was one of times TMZ was wrong but the LA Times has confirmed it with their own sources. Absolutely heartbreaking. 

His comedic timing on Friends was amazing.  

I really hope fans and the press will give the rest of the cast space to grieve. 

Sad Episode 4 GIF by Friends

I don't normally have feelings when a celeb passes but Perry's passing is like a gut punch. I hope the reports from the LA Times about no drugs being found at the scene are accurate. He had a slew of health issues (from his substance abuse). Maybe his body just gave out.

• Like 6
  • Sad 8
  • Love 2

Ugh, Matthew Perry's death breaks my heart. He overcame so many of his own demons but I can imagine the toll it took on his body. I hope he has found true peace now. I hope the cast of Friends can be allowed to mourn him in private. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 3

I can't say I was ever a fan of Mr. Perry's work and offstage, he seemed like a total trainweck to others as well as himself.

However, I truly hoped that one day he would overcome his solipism and self-importance and find his peace in this world.

I hope the authorities are going over the circumstances of this alleged 'drowning' with a fine toothed comb because the majority of folks who get into a jacuzzi sober DO NOT DROWN!

RIP, Mr. Perry.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

I just saw this and I'm somehow shocked and not at the same time. The abuse he put his body through can really take a toll. I don't see any details yet except I think it was said there was no foul play.

I liked him best in a show called Go On which was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. It only lasted a season and I'm still not over it.

RIP

• Like 4
  • Sad 7

I was thinking earlier today how there were only two cast members of the original Night Court left. Then I said "Imagine in 20 years when the cast of Friend's goes, one by one". I was not asking the universe to prove me right or anything. This is such a shock. I knew he had health issues but he seemed on his way out of the hard times.  It was just a year ago he did that interview with Diane Sawyer. 

I was never a "Friends" fan but if there was ever a beloved character from that show, Chandler Bing was it.

• Sad 10