Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Let the Games Begin

DanaK
  • Start Topic

When a blimp suffers mechanical failure and its engine catches fire, Athena and the 118 must rescue victims both inside and outside a packed sports stadium. Bobby and Athena drop off May on her first day of college and discuss honeymoon plans, while Maddie and Chimney go to couple's therapy in the all-new "Let The Games Begin" Season Six premiere episode of 9-1-1 airing Monday, Sept. 19 (8:00-9:02 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

• Love 1

Ugh.  You've got people running for their lives out of the stadium, and Miss Thang Officer Athena is yelling at people to "remain calm!"

WTF???  Who "remains calm" under those circumstances, no matter what the cause is?

I'm sick of her already.

• Love 3

Why does this show act like the shift we watch is the ONLY one for that station?  That station is open 24/7 365 days a year. You know what happens when a captain goes on vacation in the real world?  A captain from another shift gets overtime! Same with the lieutenants and privates. In the real world, you’d have people from other shifts covering at least one person a lot of the time. My husband is a captain and he makes about $20,000 a year in overtime (maybe more), so hey all WANT overtime!   If Buck really wants to be a captain, he should study for the captain’s exam. 

Im glad the Maddie/Chimney drama is over. It was contrived and annoying. I hope this means it’s all over forever. 

Other than those 2 things, I did like this episode. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7

The only way to truly do a mass exit without a lot of risk is to ask people to try to be calm.  Otherwise people fall down or stomped over.  It might have seemed futile but I get what she was trying to do.  And sometimes someone authoritative telling others what to do gets them to act that way against their baser instincts.

I'm glad the Maddie and Chim breakup is over as well.

I laughed at Buck not having a couch because I'm in a similar position. I actually have a chair that is falling apart that I need to replace but I'm having the hardest time choosing something to replace it with.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
44 minutes ago, preeya said:

Until the writers conjure up the next crisis.

Let’s hope they’ll wait until next season.

39 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was expecting them to do a special event mega disaster and was happy that they just did an almost normal episode. The blimp was a big over the top thing, but not on par with the tsunami and similar such multi-episode arcs they've done before.

I was disappointed that it was not a longer part of the episode.  I really could have done without that gol course rescue.  So glad I tape these so I can fast forward!  I was kinda expecting that there would be a rescue on the cruise but now I think they are not going at all.  I thought it was odd that the preview for next week did not reference the accident with Athena’s parents.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I live alone and didn’t see the point to buying a couch because I don’t usually have guests.  I have a chair I sit in to watch tv and that is it.    Eventually I needed a new chair and my mother “convinced” me to be a human and buy a kitchen table and a couch.  

I kinda found out funny how Maddie either intentionally or unintentionally described her and Chimney to a bad romcom.   “Two people meet.  You know they are going to end up together and you have to watch them bumble their way though stupid misunderstandings for two hours.  Its annoying.” 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Redrum said:

Considering Gabrielle Carteris is um.... 62, she is looking DAMN fine. 

And Angela Bassett is 64!

So Hen is still in medical school, a plotline that was for all intents and purposes dropped last season in favor of her and Karen going out clubbing, etc.

Have we met Athena's parents before? As soon as they were introduced I knew that cruise was doomed. Gotta say I didn't see that coming -- I fully expected some life-threatening emergency on the cruise so that Bobby and Athena would team up to save the day.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Happy to see this show back. It's become my pop culture comfort food.

So Harry has gone off to live with Michael and David? I'm okay with that. He got plenty of screen time last season.

I swear Buck has to be the most insecure man on the face of the earth. Instead of just asking Bobby outright about being made interim captain he goes into passive-aggressive people pleaser mode. His parents really did a number on him. 

That guy in the crowd with "She's wearing a bomb!" made me want to push him down the stairs.

3 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Have we met Athena's parents before? As soon as they were introduced I knew that cruise was doomed. Gotta say I didn't see that coming -- I fully expected some life-threatening emergency on the cruise so that Bobby and Athena would team up to save the day.

We have. There was a whole episode in S2 where Bobby meets them. I actually enjoyed seeing them again.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Redrum said:

Considering Gabrielle Carteris is um.... 62, she is looking DAMN fine. 

She is looking good, indeed.

I'm glad 9-1-1 is back. Summer isn't as much a dead zone as it used to be (for us old ones), but it has gotten hard to find shows to watch when you don't subscribe to every streamer.

I was expecting more from the blimp accident - but I'm glad it was just a "regular" rescue. Though I did wonder if the girl could really survive after what had to be a fairly long time w/o a heartbeat.

As for the golf incident - I did like that they didn't do what I expected the moment I heard the golf ball hit the chipper.

I'm good with Maddie and Chim getting back together, I disliked the entire "Maddie leaves" storyline. But I was distracted by the red eye shadow above and below the eye that they gave Maddie. It did not look good to me.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

As for the golf incident - I did like that they didn't do what I expected the moment I heard the golf ball hit the chipper.

I would have probably quit the show if they had.

The throwaway lines about the son's ex being the dad's golf son was kind of sweet, as well as a sweet take on "modern families."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6

I am glad that the first episode of the season wasn't a big multi-episode disaster.  It gets to be a bit much and a self parody after awhile.

Even so this ep felt pretty packed.  The rescues were all nicely different, from the blimp which affected a entire stadium of people to Maddie just helping a little boy find his brother during a hide and seek game. And a lot of character stuff -- Maddie & Chim, Buck, and I especially liked the little domestic glimpse at Bobby and Athena planning on their (now aborted) cruise.  I hope they get to go eventually, all that planning shouldn't go to waste.

They got the same actors for Athena's parents which is nice.  Her mother seems to have mellowed quite a bit.  She was a bit of a battle axe and seemed to just be always in 100% disapproval mode of everything Athena did when we last saw them.  So I was immediately suspicious that something would be up.  She was being too pleasant.  LOL.

3 hours ago, preeya said:

The scene with the automobile contest was copied from The Blacklist. It was almost identical.

I have seen so many shows do iterations on 'Hands on a Hard Body' so I was curious as to how this one would pan out.  Of course it being 911 it would involve a medical emergency.  Curious as to how was it identical to The Blacklist's version, though?  There are so many ways to play with that trope. My favorite was Brooklyn 99's take with Amy and her ex both trying to win a totally overpriced, pimped out Swedish stroller.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Redrum said:

I'm willing to bet it wasn't an accident and that the tragedy of the season is Athena's dad going round the bend with some variation of dementia. 

That’s what I thought. (He’s played by the actor who plays Prosper on Queen Sugar, a character I love.)

2 hours ago, marceline said:

So Harry has gone off to live with Michael and David? I'm okay with that. He got plenty of screen time last season.

And given that he was kidnapped from home (there was a scene where Athena lamented that she couldn’t make home feel safe for Harry), I can see why he’d want a fresh start. I liked him though. Sometimes child actors are annoying, but he wasn’t.

Hen is still in med school! I think I asked about that last season since they never mentioned it.

• Love 3

Honestly I was calling bullshit on the hand on the car contest. Pretty sure there have been lawsuits in the past over the potential health effects and also can't buy someone in kidney failure and so much pain could keep their hand on the car.

Here's a thought. What if Athena's dad intended to ram the car into the house to murder mom? They didn't seem all that affectionate and he probably has the dementia as well so.....

• Like 1
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Redrum said:

Here's a thought. What if Athena's dad intended to ram the car into the house to murder mom?

I don't think so.

He could have some dementia, but a friend destroyed her garage door in her 30s because she put the car in drive instead of reverse.
That's a pretty common accident. 
But, yeah, what we saw was a lot heavier on the gas pedal, implying some kind of health situation.

41 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Maddie just helping a little boy find his brother during a hide and seek game.

I thought the bit with the 911 call about the missing brother was going to reveal some bigger issue of neglect or even abuse, and it still might, if they want to revisit it. 
But I guess its main purpose was to trigger something in Maddie's mind about how her running away and being missing must have felt to Chim, and how, like the older boy, didn't need to run away anymore.

• Love 4

It’s nice to hear the Wilson Phillips’ song - Hold On again, it’s been a while.

Lucy is not needed in this show. We got to see her via FaceTime and heard Bobby speaking so highly of her but there’s no mention of Ravi and Albert. Why? 😣

This episode has made Buddie shippers so happy. Seeing Buck cooking for the Diaz boys, they’re hopeful that Buddie will happen this season. 🙄

Maddie to Chim: “Am not running anymore.”

Me: That’s great. Chim deserves to be happy. But err, what if JLH get pregnant again? 😆

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

a friend destroyed her garage door in her 30s because she put the car in drive instead of reverse.

My friend took out her parents’ steps (we were in high school) the opposite way - she was trying to leave after doing a 3-point turn but hadn’t shifted into drive, so she backed into the steps. Hard.

I am fairly sure I’ve seen “elderly person drives into a building as evidence of dementia” on other shows. (IRL my great-uncle getting really lost while driving was the “something is really wrong” sign.)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I did enjoy this premiere. For me, it's actually better than most of the season 5 episodes. I think getting back to focusing on the OG (season 2 OGs, I mean) cast really helped. I think last season had too much focus on other characters that didn't quite work. And yes, we're only one episode in, but I feel like I enjoyed this episode more because it felt balanced and it focused on characters I do genuinely enjoy. So hopefully future episodes follow the same path. 

Really enjoyed the Hen vs Buck as interim captain subplot. It really added to both their characters AND Bobby. Buck feeling like he wasn't even considered over others, especially with newer members of the team (and I do agree that Lucy shouldn't have been considered, mostly because all of her time last season was not spent on her competency and experience as a firefighter and she felt like a rookie most of the time; if she was meant to be an experienced firefighter, why did we not see her take charge more?). Hen thinking that she wouldn't really be considered but actually getting the interim role after discussing it. Oh, and Bobby, who showed his thought process to why he considered Hen but not Buck.

Which makes sense. Buck is great at going all in when he wants to, but he's not a leader-type yet. He's constantly messed up, dove in on his own accord and Bobby's had that conversation with Buck many times. Until he can learn how to be a leader of a team by being more responsible and focused, he wouldn't be a good captain. So I wonder if this is the season for Buck to mature in different ways, to prove he could be captain material one day. 

Chimney/Maddie are back together, hooray! Their separation last season was very rough, and I get part of it was due to JLH's pregnancy/maternity leave, but they're such a joyous couple and I'm glad we'll get to see them back together.

Bobby/Athena vacation time! Except not because Athena's father crashed the car into the house. Oh boy.

In other news, May's picking out roommates for college. It is funny that she's acting like she's going back to school after all these years but....she only took a couple of years off. Yes, she is still a couple of years older and starting college, but she's not so far out of high school that she should be worried about not fitting in. 

The Buckley-Diaz family dinner was cute, especially teasing Buck about his lack of a couch. I guess Buck sold the first couch he had to make way for Taylor's couch, and then she took that back when she moved out?

The cases this episode were good. Hello Gabrielle Carteris! The blimp stuff was less dramatic than I thought it would be; the dramatics came with the girl with the artificial heart! 

The golf case was pretty solid, as was the Hand on the Car case. I love fun cases like that, especially when we connect with the victims in a short amount of time. I think last season sorely lacked a lot of that. It still had some of those cases, but far less than usual.

Overall, a solid start to the premiere, especially after a lackluster season 5 in general. I hope this trajectory continues.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

In other news, May's picking out roommates for college. It is funny that she's acting like she's going back to school after all these years but....she only took a couple of years off. Yes, she is still a couple of years older and starting college, but she's not so far out of high school that she should be worried about not fitting in. 

I was actually thinking the opposite. That it makes total sense for May to be a fish out of water socially. She's spent the last two years working an intense, stressful job that carries heavy responsibilities. She's used to interacting with older adults and being treated as their peer. She was maintaining her own home, from her own paycheck. And her job has made her very aware of the world and its issues. She's grown a LOT in the last two years.

May is in a completely different place mentally and emotionally. She'll probably do very well academically but will struggle socially. Especially with dorm life. She's going from living on her own, on her own terms to communal living with rules about visitors/quiet hours/alcohol etc. That has the potential to be a rough transition. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

I was actually thinking the opposite. That it makes total sense for May to be a fish out of water socially. She's spent the last two years working an intense, stressful job that carries heavy responsibilities. She's used to interacting with older adults and being treated as their peer. She was maintaining her own home, from her own paycheck. And her job has made her very aware of the world and its issues. She's grown a LOT in the last two years.

May is in a completely different place mentally and emotionally. She'll probably do very well academically but will struggle socially. Especially with dorm life. She's going from living on her own, on her own terms to communal living with rules about visitors/quiet hours/alcohol etc. That has the potential to be a rough transition. 

I'll be willing to wager that at some point there will be a crisis situation at her college and her 9-1-1 skills will kick in, where she'll become a badass heroine.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Good episode overall but I was distracted as this was a show my Mom and I would watch together...and I'd call her during the breaks to explain everything to her....She passed away a few days ago but before she did she kept asking me when this show was coming back...

Good to get some exciting rescues though....and yes, this show is cheesy...but in a good way...not in an anger inducing way(Looking at you Quantum Leap reboot!)....

I'm really sorry for your loss.

I agree that this show is cheesy in a good way.

• Love 4

Agree. I was cringing just waiting for the guy to lose a hand or at least some fingers so I liked that they surprised me.

Liked the whole blimp accident, that was very much classic 911 crazy rescue stuff.

Hen is dangerously close to Mary Sue territory if she's not already there. Making her interim captain when she's supposed to be on the ambulance AND going to medical school makes zero sense, it feels like they are propping her way too hard.

Christopher has really grown, it's interesting they didn't show him standing up. I wonder if he's as tall as Buck and Eddie now.

Not crazy about Athena's new hair. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, marceline said:

I swear Buck has to be the most insecure man on the face of the earth. Instead of just asking Bobby outright about being made interim captain he goes into passive-aggressive people pleaser mode. His parents really did a number on him. 

"Well, no Buck. I didn't consider you because of that personal lawsuit you filed against me, and because you're a not particularly bright impulsive freak. But other than that, keep up the good work."

Of course Hen is the best choice for interim captain in a world where there are no other shifts at the house ;-) as pointed out above. And there is no way in the world she could be doing both med school AND working full-time. Unless it's part-time med school, which I don't think they have. (And what happens when she graduates from imaginary med school?)

When Athena explained why Bobby was so intent on having activities on the cruise (because of all the bars), it made me wonder why they didn't pick out something a little less stressful on him.

Here's to no more Maddie and Chim drama. They actually work well as a happy couple.

Edited by kwnyc
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

I am really glad that we mostly stuck with low key rescues this premier, we really needed a break from the tsunamis, massive car crashes that stretch for miles, and kidnappings. The blimp seemed like it was going to be a big drama set piece, but it seemed like everyone was fine, even the pilots, the real drama was the girl with the heart condition. We also got a decent mix of recues, mostly funny ones, the father and son playing golf was cute and they actually did surprise me at the son not getting his hand stuck, we even had one that seemed to be leading to a classic child in peril plot when the kid was actually fine. I hope that this is a good sign of things to come. 

I cant blame Chim and Maddie for being nervous for the other shoe to drop, so much has happened it must be terrifying waiting for what next hell the writers want to put them through. I hope that they are back together for real. 

I totally get the Athena/Bobby vacation conflict, my partner and I are the same way, albeit not because of any worries surrounding sobriety. I love to do things on vacation, he loves to relax, so we usually have to compromise with a mix of relaxing days and adventure days.

I love Buck, but Bobby is right that he is in no way ready to be interim captain, he needs to significantly mature before he can really take a leadership role. 

Of course we had to end on some sort of personal crisis, even after a surprisingly (and welcome) low key season premiere. I knew something would happen to Athena's mom, she was acting so sweet and friendly and hadn't complained about anything besides Bobby's tacky vacation shirt. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, kwnyc said:

"Well, no Buck. I didn't consider you because of that personal lawsuit you filed against me, and because you're a not particularly bright impulsive freak. But other than that, keep up the good work."

Buck does tend to live in a world where he never learns or faces consequences....

On the other hand, Bobby should be sitting him down and seriously addressing why Buck isn't considered for more responsibility. Like for example, how Buck is only interested in demonstrating responsibility when he wants to kiss Bobby's ass and otherwise is a bit of a goof off. Nothing wrong with a competent underling who is a bit of a goof off but they aren't ready to be in charge.

I personally had no problem with Blonde Firechick whose name I forget being considered before Bobby because even tho she's only been on the show briefly she's supposed to be a well respected ten year veteran

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

(And what happens when she graduates from imaginary med school?)

My theory is that they are thinking about a spin-off show. I like her here, but I would watch her character elsewhere if they do it. I just think it would be a big loss for this show and I don't really want to watch another show set inside a hospital, so I think it's a bad idea.

1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

When Athena explained why Bobby was so intent on having activities on the cruise (because of all the bars), it made me wonder why they didn't pick out something a little less stressful on him.

I agree! Also, maybe I'm just used to living in a particular world, but I thought AA meetings could be found everywhere, including on cruises. They're like Starbucks, aren't they? A few in every neighborhood?

I thought Bobby was wanting Lucy because it's easier to appoint a leader who's NOT a well-established member of the team. Sometimes people don't like to take direction from someone they're used to seeing as a peer. I wonder if the actress is actually sick, since sidelining her for an off duty foot injury doesn't seem to advance the show's usual storylines at all. Adding one more thing to Hen's plate could have been done without talking about Lucy at all, so it was kind of a strange choice. Maybe having Hen like being Captain is setting her up to take over another house, but that would remove her from this one, so unless they really are planning a spin-off, I'm not sure why they did it.

I agree Bobby should advise Buck on what he needs to do, but I also think he's kind of tired of Buck in general and maybe he doesn't care if Buck actually learns or not, he's tired of mentoring him at this point? That could become a story in itself. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 9/20/2022 at 2:09 PM, Redrum said:

Here's a thought. What if Athena's dad intended to ram the car into the house to murder mom? They didn't seem all that affectionate and he probably has the dementia as well so.....

Sooooo, unfortunately I have a lot of experience with dementia, and I'm not seeing the connection here. Sure, mistaking the gas for the break could happen (my mom forgot she had a gas cap, insisted she never had one before and couldn't figure out how to put gas in her car) - but doesn't seem likely it would happen with malicious intent.

It's pretty common for dementia sufferers to "hide" their condition for a long time - but I can't imagine a level of confusion so high that he'd ram his car through his house unless he had been having an episode leading up to it, which he clearly wasn't when he told his wife he was leaving. It seems super unlikely he was functioning fine one minute, then he gets in the car, has an episode so severe he either wants to kill his wife or that he mistook the gas for the break. And clearly, if his wife knew he was having issues - why the hell would she let him drive, or not say something to him as he was leaving? As soon as my mom forgot how to put gas in her car, followed up by forgetting how to open the garage door, we promptly sold her car and there was no more driving. 

IMO, that's some shit-show writing if they go that route... 

Edited by Lunula
Punctuation
  • Like 2

Am I the only one who doesn't like the character of Lucy?  Hopefully the weeks she'll be gone will equal at least the number of episodes we don't see her in, if not more.  I don't think we really need a female Buck at the station, and that's how she strikes me.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2022 at 8:42 PM, shapeshifter said:

He could have some dementia, but a friend destroyed her garage door in her 30s because she put the car in drive instead of reverse.
That's a pretty common accident. 

I took down a wooden fence because I thought my foot was on the brake . I was so sure about it that I really didn't know how I ended up on the fence . Then I spent about 30 minutes in my car trying to figure out what I was supposed to do now . Finally I decided that the best thing would be calling my mom and ask her ( I was in my mid 20s). I didn't have my cell phone with me or forgot I had one so I walked into the city center for a public phone only when I got there I somehow had forgotten how to use one , so it was back to the car  where I waited around for a while until I drove home to ask my mom what to do . I know it was pretty much a hit and run  but nothing ever came from it and the city took down the remaining fence a few weeks later to build a new trainstation on it . 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the character of Lucy?  Hopefully the weeks she'll be gone will equal at least the number of episodes we don't see her in, if not more.  I don't think we really need a female Buck at the station, and that's how she strikes me.

Nope, not the only one. Please come sit by me.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Nope, not the only one. Please come sit by me.

Can I join the group?  I don't like the Lucy character either.  It would be fine if she left and never came back.  TBH, if they didn't show her with a broken leg explaining why she wasn't going to be at work, I wouldn't have even realized she was missing.  I totally forgot about her.   

Is JLH pregnant again because she looked like it in this episode.  She needs to ditch that copper colored eyeshadow/liner - it looked absolutely horrible on her! 

Athena's dad probably probably put it in drive instead of reverse.  I'm sure he and/or her mom are probably trapped under the debris so they'll have to cancel their cruise. 

If being near all the bars on the cruise is such an issue, why are they doing it?  Why not take a vacation somewhere else on land?

Is Hen a firefighter?  I thought she was an EMT.  If she's only an EMT, how can she stand in for the fire captain?

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Is Hen a firefighter?  I thought she was an EMT.  If she's only an EMT, how can she stand in for the fire captain?

She is a firefighter who is also an EMT. Chimney is the same. Unlike 911 Lonestar, the Original Recipe show never put a line between the job. Hen and Chimney are firefighters who do some medical stuff.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Redrum said:

I personally had no problem with Blonde Firechick whose name I forget being considered before Bobby because even tho she's only been on the show briefly she's supposed to be a well respected ten year veteran

that's true but (maybe I'm wrong because I only half-watched last season) all I remember her doing is being overwhelmed in that one scene, she gave off rookie vibes there. Then again in the real world, none of these people would ever be considered for captain at this stage. How the hell is Hen doing that AND her weird part-time med school?

Wasn't a fan of how they strong armed the car dealer into giving away two cars.  If someone is stupid enough to risk kidney failure over a car, that's not the dealer's fault.  All of them knew the rules when they started. 

Otherwise, thought it was pretty solid for a premier. 

Edited by Bulldog
8 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Wasn't a fan of how they strong armed the car dealer into giving away two cars.  If someone is stupid enough to risk kidney failure over a car, that's not the dealer's fault.  All of them knew the rules when they started. 

Otherwise, thought it was pretty solid for a premier. 

Yeah, aren't contestants required to sign release forms before participating? 
But do any of us ever read the fine print?

But threatening to cut the car up so she could keep her hand on the car and get treatment is straight out of the playbook of one of the most often cited biblical stories:

• ". . .1 Kings 3:16–28 recounts that two mothers living in the same house, each the mother of an infant son, came to Solomon. One of the babies had been smothered, and each claimed the remaining boy as her own. Calling for a sword, Solomon declared his judgment: the baby would be cut in two, each woman to receive half. One mother did not contest the ruling, declaring that if she could not have the baby then neither of them could, but the other begged Solomon, 'Give the baby to her, just don't kill him!'

"The king declared the second woman the true mother, as a mother would even give up her baby if that was necessary to save its life, and awarded her custody. This judgment became known throughout all of Israel and was considered an example of profound wisdom."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgement_of_Solomon#Biblical_narrative

It still gets used a lot, probably because it makes the heroes/main characters look as Wise as Old King Solomon.
Or not.😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, aren't contestants required to sign release forms before participating? 
But do any of us ever read the fine print?

Yeah but you're not off the hook simply because they sign a release. Its still not legal to set up a contest for material goods where you kill all the participants even if you put in "not responsible if contestant dies in contest". When places run these sorts of contests nowadays, there's official bathroom breaks every hour

• Useful 3
On 9/21/2022 at 9:35 AM, possibilities said:

I agree! Also, maybe I'm just used to living in a particular world, but I thought AA meetings could be found everywhere, including on cruises. They're like Starbucks, aren't they? A few in every neighborhood?

I don't know if they have them on cruises (never been on one, never will go on one), but it still seems risky to surround yourself with triggers you can't really get away from.

13 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Is JLH pregnant again because she looked like it in this episode.  She needs to ditch that copper colored eyeshadow/liner - it looked absolutely horrible on her!

I agree about the eye shadow - but having just seen a picture of a celebrity (don't know who) wearing the same stuff, I guess it's a trend?

She did wear loose clothes, which could indicate another pregnancy, but could also be that she just didn't bounce back from her last one. It happens, as I sadly know.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1

I would have loved to see Buck start sawing that car up.  That would have been a lawsuit waiting to happen against the FD.

Theres no way they would have sawed the car up instead of just pulling the people away from it.

• Like 2

I spent a good part of my post-college, financially destitute 20s couchless.  I do not miss those days, and I love my sofa. 

Athena's dad having dementia hadn't occurred to me until I read it mentioned here.  I figured it was just some freak accident. 

I don't actively dislike Lucy, but Arielle Kebbel has bugged me in every show I've seen her in (admittedly, that is only a few). 

On 9/20/2022 at 8:20 AM, Jillybean said:

So Hen is still in medical school, a plotline that was for all intents and purposes dropped last season in favor of her and Karen going out clubbing, etc.

Right? I was like, "Oh, we're picking that back up, are we?" 

On 9/20/2022 at 2:53 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Me: That’s great. Chim deserves to be happy. But err, what if JLH get pregnant again? 😆

Heh, let's hope that they don't put Kenneth Choi out to pasture again if that happens. 

On 9/20/2022 at 12:03 PM, marceline said:

Buck has to be in his early 30s by now, right? I was more perplexed why he felt entitled to be interim captain in the first place.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The whole blimp thing was weird. Like I have never been in a blimp before but would it really crash if one of the engines went out. It was still full of helium right so wouldn't it keep floating?

Also why was Athena working by herself on probably what was the biggest medical emergency in that whole stadium?

On 9/21/2022 at 10:53 AM, kwnyc said:

Unless it's part-time med school, which I don't think they have. (And what happens when she graduates from imaginary med school?)

For that matter what happens when she advances to the part of med school where you have to start doing hospital shifts?

• Like 2
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The whole blimp thing was weird. Like I have never been in a blimp before but would it really crash if one of the engines went out. It was still full of helium right so wouldn't it keep floating?

Also why was Athena working by herself on probably what was the biggest medical emergency in that whole stadium?

For that matter what happens when she advances to the part of med school where you have to start doing hospital shifts?

Athena always works by herself - so it wasn't a surprise to me.

I think the big problem with the engines being out is that they needed to try and land - it would still float (I think), but there might be power lines and such that they couldn't steer away from - and with the helium that would be pretty dangerous.

The shift stuff is an excellent point.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The real world answer is that she would have to leave her full time job. I'm sure instead we'll have a stressed out episode for Hen where she has to choose and then gets some sweet part time set up that would never happen. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3