Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guessed correctly for FJ (in a "what else could it be" kind of way), but does anyone else think that recipe sounds kind of nasty?  Tomato-flavored warm milk?  I know the condensed tomato soup says you can use either water or milk, but two cans of milk?  (Okay, I know that's not the point.)

I hate tomato soup to begin with, so...yeah.

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I hate tomato soup to begin with, so...yeah

I dislike Campbell's or other canned tomato soup because the main flavor I taste is cornstarch.  Homemade tomato soup (with appropriate herbs) can be very good.

• Like 2

FJ was an instaget.

I go the  missed clues of Jane Eyre, Final Desination, Edward and dog.

I got the entire categories of GREs, world geogrpahy and short right, and the entire category of hits wrong.  I'm so old now:(

• Like 1

February 24:

73% / 67% / 69%

Not a super-great game, but I felt like I was doing pretty badly until I looked at my whole board at the end and there was a lot more blue than I expected. In J! I ran Very Artistic and Homophones, missed one in Government Offices and GRE, two in Science (one was because I looked up too late to get a good look at the picture of GW Carver), and four Hits of Then & Now (never even heard of two of the singers...). In DJ I ran Horror Film Franchises (even though I haven't seen any of them...I hate horror, especially slasher-type movies), missed one in Short, Tiny & Small and Black History, two in Geography and Same Vowel, and four in Literary Reunions.

Did not get FJ (but felt dumb, duh). TSes were Jane Eyre, Edward V, Final Destination, and boycott.

I'm sorry, but did Mayim forget to comb her hair?

I liked Isabella's top.

1 hour ago, Driad said:

I dislike Campbell's or other canned tomato soup because the main flavor I taste is cornstarch.  Homemade tomato soup (with appropriate herbs) can be very good.

I'm don't particularly like tomatoes in general (unless it's pizza or pasta sauce and as long as it's not chunky).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5

Instaget FJ for me tonight, possibly because I put effort into paying attention.  It was challenging not to get distracted by something shiny in my house.

I also got the TS of Jane Eyre, erythrocyte, dog, and boycott.

26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'm don't particularly like tomatoes in general (unless it's pizza or pasta sauce and as long as it's not chunky).

I'm with you.  No chunky tomato bits, and definitely no tomato skin.

• Like 5

I don't remember any of these kids, so was rooting for Isabella since I love to see a woman studying engineering -- plus, from the shallow end of the pool, I liked her outfit.  But good for Jackson.

The boycott TS surprised me.  But, hey, at least none of them guessed "cancel" instead.

The only one I knew in hits was Billie Eilish.  I ran artistic and homophones and got all but one in the rest, so if not for that category (which I figured I was doomed in), I'd have had a good first round.

In DJ, literary was my terrible category; I only knew Jane Eyre.  I ran geography and Black history, got all but one in small and the vocabulary category, and missed two in horror, so otherwise did well.

FJ wasn't quite an instaget, but almost.

• Like 3

Not an instaget FJ, but I got it! Books led to library, ancient library led to Alexandria. 

I was kind of rooting for Ryan, because he refused to recreate his dumb original intro. That’s the kind of low bar these students have to cross, because I have very little interest in this tournament or its contestants. I can’t even blame it on Mayim, the whole thing is just pointless and random.

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I hate tomato soup to begin with, so...yeah.

Good thing I didn’t invite you for dinner, then! It’s cold here, so I made tomato soup and grilled cheese. But I did not follow the Warhol recipe; mine was homemade. With spices. And whipped, so no chunky bits. On second thought… come, next time! I think I could make you a convert. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm trying to watch this but I'm just not enjoying Jeopardy right now. I miss Ken's witty remarks, Mayim reminds me of school teachers from back in the day (actually, she sounds like she's playing an old-fashioned teacher), and the categories are mostly not of interest to me. 😒 I'll just go eat some worms this weekend.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
On 2/22/2023 at 8:08 PM, bankerchick said:

Mayim walks like a 4 year-old wearing Mommy's high heels for the first time.

Honestly, I think most women walk funny in such a high heel. She should take smaller strides, but really looks like she never walks in them. Most women on tv shows/news who wear spiky heels don't actually walk in them, they put them on after they sit down.

I'm not enjoying this tournament. And Mayim makes it even less enjoyable.

• Like 8

I’ve got no problem with the tournament itself. The contestants are in college now so the clues aren’t dumbed down like they do for the regular Teen Tournament. I don’t care who the contestants are as long as they have good clues. The only Jeopardy tournament I gave up watching was the Kid’s Tournament. I got no pleasure out of guessing an entire board of $200 level clues.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I’ve got no problem with the tournament itself. The contestants are in college now so the clues aren’t dumbed down like they do for the regular Teen Tournament. I don’t care who the contestants are as long as they have good clues. The only Jeopardy tournament I gave up watching was the Kid’s Tournament. I got no pleasure out of guessing an entire board of $200 level clues.

I didn't know there's a kids tournament. It sounds like Jeopardy is going overboard with tournaments. I used to watch it a lot in the 80's & 90's and I sure don't remember tournaments. I also don't remember so many annoying contestants (smarty comments, flapping hands, the constant use of "please", body movements, etc). Looking back, the contestants were kind of dull (but not distracting from the game!)

• Like 1

What I find so frustrating about this tournament is that Mayim clearly has no idea of the answer to so many of the clues.  Even the no-brainers.  The pause before she says, 'correct' (she must be waiting for someone in her ear to say it's correct, or she has to take a few seconds to refer to her cheat sheet) must drive the players insane.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 6
8 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

What I find so frustrating about this tournament is that Mayim clearly has no idea of the answer to so many of the clues.  Even the no-brainers.  The pause before she says, 'correct' (she must be waiting for someone in her ear to say it's correct, or she has to take a few seconds to refer to her cheat sheet) must drive the players insane.  

I hear you on the hesitation, but I don't think it's because she doesn't know the answers - she's got them right in front of her. The only reason to wait for a judge's ruling is if they answer something other than what's in front of her. I've decided that for some reason she's doing it on purpose.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
25 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I hear you on the hesitation, but I don't think it's because she doesn't know the answers - she's got them right in front of her. The only reason to wait for a judge's ruling is if they answer something other than what's in front of her. I've decided that for some reason she's doing it on purpose.

I agree. I think she's going for a little suspense. The powers that be must be okay with it, or it would have been shut down long ago.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 3
39 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I agree. I think she's going for a little suspense. The powers that be must be okay with it, or it would have been shut down long ago.

This! And it is so unfair to the players who have enough things going on during the game to put their nerves on fire. Maybe once or twice In a particularly crucial time, but not as often as Mayim does it. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I just think she's a bad host and chalk it up to that.

I'm watching either way.  but you see her host and then ken.....it's obvious who is better in like two minutes. 

She's so stiff and unnatural in the job....you'd never guess she's the one who literally has been in show business her whole life. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 8
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

didn't know there's a kids tournament

They don't have them any more. And it wasn't really a "tournament". They would have 15 10-, 11- and 12-year olds play the first week of the season (It was called the "Back to School Tournament" I believe). The winner each day got $10K (?) with the runners up getting something. That was it. I think the last year or two that they had that tournament the high scorer of the week got $15K (or an additional $15K). I think it's been maybe 10 years since they had it.

• Useful 3
2 minutes ago, illdoc said:

They don't have them any more. And it wasn't really a "tournament". They would have 15 10-, 11- and 12-year olds play the first week of the season (It was called the "Back to School Tournament" I believe). The winner each day got $10K (?) with the runners up getting something. That was it. I think the last year or two that they had that tournament the high scorer of the week got $15K (or an additional $15K). I think it's been maybe 10 years since they had it.

Yeah, I think it was just "Kids Week" not an actual tournament. 

• Useful 2
7 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

The hesitation thing is the only thing that bugs me about Mayim; otherwise, she's just as good a host as Ken. I really don't care who hosts. . I watched for years in spite of Alex.

That and the laughing (I frequently find myself saying "what is so funny?!" when she is on), though she's gotten a bit better about that. I don't think she's a particularly good host; I won't not watch, because I like to play along, but she does make it less enjoyable for me.

• Like 12
  • Applause 5
18 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

The hesitation thing is the only thing that bugs me about Mayim; otherwise, she's just as good a host as Ken. I really don't care who hosts. . I watched for years in spite of Alex.

Gods, same.  Alex did things that bug me, Ken does things that bug me, Mayim does things that bug me.  I wish Alex was still around, but since he's not, I don't care which one of the two successors hosts; there is zero difference in terms of my enjoyment level between a Mayim game and a Ken game, as for me this show is mostly about the clues as a personal challenge, and then a very little bit about the contestants and another very little bit about the host.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

She's so stiff and unnatural in the job....you'd never guess she's the one who literally has been in show business her whole life. 

Well, to be fair she's been an actor all her life. Being yourself, or natural, on camera is something very different. Ken, on the other hand, hasn't been playing a character, but has been more or less himself all the time he's had on camera.

Which is why I think Ken is better and more natural at this particular job. Not to mention he's experienced with every aspect of this show.

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, to be fair she's been an actor all her life. Being yourself, or natural, on camera is something very different. Ken, on the other hand, hasn't been playing a character, but has been more or less himself all the time he's had on camera.

Which is why I think Ken is better and more natural at this particular job. Not to mention he's experienced with every aspect of this show.

She's done tons of interviews for literally decades as herself I assume. 

And she's been hosting the show a couple years now off and on.  Still looks like she's on week one at the job

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
15 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I agree with you. She doesn't know many of the answers. Thus, the hesitation while she checks. Alex took the time to familiarize himself with the answers before each taping. Ken knows the answers, has good rapport with the contestants, and has a ton of Jeopardy experience. Mayim has an impressive science and acting background, but hosting Jeopardy is just not something she so far is particularly good at. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
On 2/24/2023 at 6:56 PM, Driad said:

Whereas I'm weird and will only eat canned tomato soup.  And only to dip my grilled cheese sandwiches into.

I had to record Friday's show and ended up turning it off after the first round.  Between Mayim and Jackson, I couldn't take it anymore.

• Like 7
On 2/25/2023 at 10:36 AM, Cotypubby said:

I just don't see any point to it.  There are tons of potential contestants who never get on the show and yet they're wasting 3 weeks on some teen tournament contestants who are completely unmemorable and have done nothing to merit being brought back.  It's actually a slap in the face to all those people who passed the various tests but never get the call.

Hell, if they're going to bring back random previous contestants for no real reason, CALL ME, DAMN IT!

On 2/25/2023 at 12:45 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

On a weekly basis or more jeopardy reminds me how out of touch I am with current musicians.  If it's not like one of 5 musicians I can randomly guess correctly I'm getting it wrong. 

I even listen to a top 40-type station and still only knew Billie Eilish.  I mean, I know some Ariana Grande songs, but not that particular one.

• Like 13
38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Whereas I'm weird and will only eat canned tomato soup.  And only to dip my grilled cheese sandwiches into.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup, the best. Grew up on Campbells but I've progressed to ... Progresso. 😆

On 2/25/2023 at 2:31 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

She's done tons of interviews for literally decades as herself I assume.

When I watch interviews, I always keep in mind that they're actors. While some might be "themselves" there are others who, time has shown (to me anyway), are decidedly not. Interviews are a performance, and they're there to sell themselves or their shows/products/etc.

The problem, I think, is that she's "acting" as a host, not "being" a host.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 15
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

There are tons of potential contestants who never get on the show and yet they're wasting 3 weeks on some teen tournament contestants who are completely unmemorable and have done nothing to merit being brought back.  

Amen! I'm beyond bummed it's going on this long. (I made an extremely childish and very snotty noise when I saw the  schedule -  I'm showing way less maturity than these contestants did as teenagers, back in the day ; )

Edited by film noire
  • Like 3
  • LOL 7
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I mean, I know some Ariana Grande songs, but not that particular one.

On the other hand, the only Ariana Grande song I know is that one, and even that was a wild guess.

Not that it matters, but I disagree that Mayim knows the answers but is only trying to create drama.  If she said, 'your response is.......correct!' then maybe I might think she's trying to create a pause, but when the contestant answers, there is no sound at all, then 'correct.'  She might have the answers in front of her, but she's losing her place and taking time to find it again.  No way do I think she knows any of these answers.

I don't understand what this tournament is all about but at least most of the players have been likeable (except for Friday's champ) so I guess I'll keep watching.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My cousin had tomato soup and grilled cheese at the cocktail hour at his wedding. The soup was in little cups (kind of like wide shot glasses) and the sandwiches were cut into triangles. There weren't even any kids invited.

Now I want grilled cheese.

7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The problem, I think, is that she's "acting" as a host, not "being" a host.

Yes!

13 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Not that it matters, but I disagree that Mayim knows the answers but is only trying to create drama.  If she said, 'your response is.......correct!' then maybe I might think she's trying to create a pause, but when the contestant answers, there is no sound at all, then 'correct.'  She might have the answers in front of her, but she's losing her place and taking time to find it again.  No way do I think she knows any of these answers.

That's what I don't get...she's got the answers (er, questions) in front of her. I know occasionally they get an unexpected response, or they need a BMS, or the player doesn't speak clearly and they need to double check, but in most cases there really isn't any question as to whether the response was right. I don't know how she could consistently get lost. 

• Like 10

FJ was an instaget.

I go he missed clues of decatur, San Francisco, Rainy Day of the Dead, Socraes, Full HOuse of York and Sylvia Plath.

I got he entire categories of starts and ends with L, musical instruments, before and after (which I usually suck at only getting one half of the clues), and oddly enough poetry right.

51 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That's what I don't get...she's got the answers (er, questions) in front of her. I know occasionally they get an unexpected response, or they need a BMS, or the player doesn't speak clearly and they need to double check, but in most cases there really isn't any question as to whether the response was right. I don't know how she could consistently get lost. 

the judges should just immediately yes or no in her ear for every clue.

• Like 5

February 27:

83% / 77% / 80%

Pretty good game. In the first round I ran Nonpotent Potables, Musical Instruments, and Daniel Radcliffe; missed one Sci. Abbrev., and two in Home from College and Begins and Ends with L (though one of those was mostly because I was distracted by something outside).

In DJ I ran Companies in History, missed one each in Southerners, Poetry, and Before & After, and two each in Golden Age and Social Science.

FJ was an instaget and I got several TSes - rooibos tea, Rainy Day of the Dead, Holly Hunter, Socrates, reaper, and needle.

1 hour ago, film noire said:

Amen! I'm beyond bummed it's going on this long. (I made an extremely childish and very snotty noise when I saw the  schedule -  I'm showing way less maturity than these contestants did as teenagers, back in the day ; )

I really prefer the old two- week, 5/3/2-game tournament schedule.

• Like 8

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Probably means I'm doomed for the rest of the week!  

I also got the TS of rainy Day of the Dead, full house of York, Holly Hunter, reaper, Sylvia Plath, and needle.  

Hooray for Claire!  I was rooting for her.

• Like 4
Just now, secnarf said:

I enjoyed the Daniel Radcliffe category.

I did, too.  I really like him and what he's done with his career.  Seeing him sing "She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain" in Miracle Workers was awesome.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did, too.  I really like him and what he's done with his career.  Seeing him sing "She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain" in Miracle Workers was awesome.

I saw a clip of that somewhere and then went and binged all three seasons.

• Like 1

After zero FJs last week, I instagot today's probably because my daughter and I have been doing Globle🙌
I also got Socrates and Sylvia Plath.

I floved these contestants.

18 hours ago, Katy M said:

the judges should just immediately yes or no in her ear for every clue.

Not what you intended by this👆 post, @Katy M, but it made me think that if it turns out the people in Mayim's ear are doing some version of gaslighting her for whatever reason, maybe even inadvertently, I will feel very bad for piling on any criticism here. 
Still . . . 
Back when Mayim was part of the Not-Really-Auditions, I appreciated her clear diction and enunciation, and figured that was all that was required. 
Now I realize another essential requirement for Jeopardy! host is to demonstrate an ease in the role.
I see why Mayim seemed like the logical choice for this job, given her experience in front of the camera and her advanced degree. 
But I question whether appearing regularly on national TV in a role in which she is obviously not comfortable is going to be bad for her image and cost her future roles.
IDK. Maybe not. I know her from The Big Bang Theory in which her role was an insecure person. Maybe that's just her schtick, and her appearances on Jeopardy! will earn her another, similar role. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
50 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I also got Socrates and Sylvia Plath.

I would have liked it very much if instead of a rather inane comment repeating the fact that Socrates' questions were annoying Mayim had added something like "those annoying questions are what we call the Socratic Method" or even "he annoyed the Athenians so much they sentenced him to death". I don't need or want an elaboration on every clue but in a case like this where they didn't get it (although Rohan's guess of Diogenes wasn't terrible) it feels helpful to fill in the blank. 

ETA: I did really like Mayim's green dress.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 5

I didn't recognize any of these kids.  I liked Claire's shirt.

The Socrates TS was a doozy.  Needle surprised me, too.

I was off to a dreadful start when they chose to head straight for the Harry Potter category; I never manage to retain anything I hear about that franchise (I have no interest in reading/watching it), so the only one I could answer was Helena Bonham Carter, since you didn't need to know anything HP, just recognize her from the picture.  If not for that, I'd have had a great first round; I ran science, L, and instruments, got all but one in potables, and missed two in home.

I was on fire in DJ; I almost ran the entire round, but missed two in southerners.

FJ was an instaget.

• Like 4