Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Me too. I paid special attention and Stephen said "gerrymander", no -ing added.

Me, three.  Definitely no ing.

FJ was an instaget.  I got the missed clues of Prince and the Pauper, finished and dust.

I got the entire categories of 11 letter words and finance right.

• Like 2

March 14:

87% / 73% / 80%

Pretty good game today! Very good first round…ran IN THE COOKIE JAR, HERE'S YOUR REPORT CARD, and A PLEASURE TO HAVE IN CLASS, missed one in 11-LETTER WORDS and TV CHARACTER'S BUDDIES, and two in GEOGRAPHY. Decent second round: ran DISEASES and BANKING & FINANCE, missed one in CONTRONYMS, two in LITERARY LONDON and LORD OF THE DINGS, and three in SCRAMBLED U.S. HISTORY.

FJ was a near-instaget and I got the TSes of ALS, finished, consult, and dust.

Was rooting for Long for a bit with his "I'm from Vegas" wager. Alas. Loved Jessica's story of the one-legged boyfriend and three-legged cat.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the missed clues of The Prince and The Pauper…

I on the other hand was very confident in my response of “The Pauper and the Prince”. 

• LOL 11
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

😆

Wasn't a great game for me. I was rooting for the woman because I'm not too fond of the champ, or the guy who nearly won. Though he did do a good smug face to fool us all. I'm not sure why the champ bugs, it's probable that he just reminds me of someone.

There's just something about him I don't like. He doesn't remind me of anyone. Years ago I watched Jeopardy all the time. I don't remember being annoyed by contestants or disliking a repeat winner for some unknown reason. But that's the way it's been for me in the past few years. I think it's smugness, mostly (this excludes Mattea, of course...but she had her own quirks).

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

There's just something about him I don't like. He doesn't remind me of anyone. Years ago I watched Jeopardy all the time. I don't remember being annoyed by contestants or disliking a repeat winner for some unknown reason. But that's the way it's been for me in the past few years. I think it's smugness, mostly (this excludes Mattea, of course...but she had her own quirks).

I don't dislike the champ, but I do dislike runaway games. Normally I don't pay much attention to the interviews, but today I enjoyed hearing about Jessica's three-legged dog and one-legged boyfriend and about Long's encounter with James Holzhauer. So I rooted for both of them and really wanted Long to pull off that gutsy DD. I almost couldn't look while waiting for him to come up with Monroe Doctrine.

• Like 7

Thanks to The X-Files, I answered the first round DD like Blaine in "Jose Chung's From Outer Space":  Roswell! Roswell!

Their poor performance in the contronyms category surprised me, especially dust.

I ran the entire first round (and three cheers for cultural osmosis in the case of the TV buddies category, as I've never seen any of the shows).

I didn't run DJ (at this point, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to other than in the Celebrity show), but still had an excellent round; I ran diseases, finance, contronyms, and scrambled history (fun category!) and got all but one in London.  My only bad category was dings, in which I missed three -- including joining the contestants in thinking the angel quote was "its wings" rather than "his wings"; once it was ruled incorrect, I figured it out, but I'd already said "its".

FJ wasn't quite an instaget, but almost, so I had a terrific game.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Yesterday: I knew it was a Beat era poem, but for some reason my brain stuttered and said The Waste Land instead of Howl. Oof.

Today: It was Geography. Double oof. 0/2.

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I paid special attention and Stephen said "gerrymander", no -ing added.

I know he said “gerrymander” because I said “gerrymandering” and only realized my mistake when I heard his shorter answer. Nine letters, no room for -ing.

I felt really bad for Long today. He ran that entire word jumble category, except for the DD that wiped him out. So that was just bad luck placement. And while I admire his guts in going for the true DD, he likely would have still won if he had just wagered a little less, since he got FJ and Stephen did not. 

An entire game, lost to a single clue. That has to hurt. I’m guessing Monroe will never be Long’s favorite president.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
21 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

An entire game, lost to a single clue. That has to hurt. I’m guessing Monroe will never be Long’s favorite president.

It definitely won’t be his favorite doctrine.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 4
21 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Yesterday: I knew it was a Beat era poem, but for some reason my brain stuttered and said The Waste Land instead of Howl

I love thinking of TS Eliot as a Beat poet. That is going to give a whole new feeling to it when I read his work. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I know he said “gerrymander” because I said “gerrymandering” and only realized my mistake when I heard his shorter answer. Nine letters, no room for -ing.

I initially said "gerrymandering", but thankfully I read a lot faster than the clue is said, so I had time to realize the clue said "To draw" rather than "Drawing" so I was off, and, oh, jeez, yeah, the category specifies 11 letters so there's no accepting that in time to correct myself before Stephen answered.

(The way I score myself is, if I have said - yes, I play aloud - my response by the time a contestant does, it's as if I was first on the buzzer, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, no matter what I later figure out based on the contestants' guesses.  But if I'm still thinking when a contestant responds incorrectly, and their incorrect response leads me to the right one [before another contestant rings in with it], I count that as a get, because it's as if I didn't ring in initially, and then rang in first once it was up for grabs again.)

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I like the champ just fine, and I know exactly who he reminds me of.  It’s someone that I love a whole bunch, so I’m always happy to see his face.  In regards to the contestant himself, I don’t find him to be smug, just business-like…and he IS taking care of business.  My heart broke a little for Long on the DD.  He was cruising along on that category, so I told him to bet it all.  Dang!  I thought he’d get it.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Thanks to The X-Files, I answered the first round DD like Blaine in "Jose Chung's From Outer Space":  Roswell! Roswell!

One of the greatest episodes of any TV show. And J! adjacent.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I don't dislike the champ, but I do dislike runaway games...

i think that a true runaway game where one contestant stomps the other contestants and dominates the board are less enjoyable.

But last night's runaway was all due to a gutsy move that would have made or lost the game. before the DD he was on a roll and I think that if he'd gotten the clue, his roll may have continued into a runaway for him. Didn't work out that way, and for me it was a good game.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, ABay said:

One of the greatest episodes of any TV show. And J! adjacent.

Mulder didn't say it was Alex Trebek.  It was just someone who looked incredibly like him.

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Do y'all remember that Darin Morgan appeared on Jeopardy! as a regular contestant, but he used the "Blaine" name?

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I on the other hand was very confident in my response of “The Pauper and the Prince”. 

I'll bet not as confident as I was when I blurted out, "A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court!" lol.  I totally would have counted your answer as correct.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Do y'all remember that Darin Morgan appeared on Jeopardy! as a regular contestant, but he used the "Blaine" name?

I do not remember that.

21 hours ago, Trey said:

FJ was not an instaget until I did the math and then it was.  I've never read Howl.  I tried to read it last night but I will probably not finish it.

I got to "Ginsberg" but not Howl. "Tried" is the operative word there - I tried too. It's a hella long poem.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Their poor performance in the contronyms category surprised me, especially dust.

I was surprisingly good in contronyms, but missed dust (of all things).

I went with my go-to Austria (thinking AstroHungarian empire, which was way later than the dates) because I am, sadly, Europe centric, and it IS landlocked. LOL.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I felt really bad for Long today. He ran that entire word jumble category, except for the DD that wiped him out. So that was just bad luck placement. And while I admire his guts in going for the true DD, he likely would have still won if he had just wagered a little less, since he got FJ and Stephen did not. 

An entire game, lost to a single clue. That has to hurt.

9 hours ago, South said:

My heart broke a little for Long on the DD.  He was cruising along on that category, so I told him to bet it all.  Dang!  I thought he’d get it.

Long reminded me of one of my more mature outstanding student employees in the library/computer lab, so I was routing for him and very sad he didn't win, especially since the champ already has his 5 wins in the bag. 

The TS of Dust was an instaget. 

At least I got yesterday's FJ thanks to my daughter and I sharing our Globle results every day for the past few weeks.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, illdoc said:

Foul! I call foul! I distinctly heard the champ say "Gerrymandering", instead of "Gerrymander". With the "ing", it is not an 11-letter word and should have been called incorrect.

I heard gerrymander, no "ing" at all.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I completely forgot about the Mongols and went to the Ottoman empire (which of course lasted much longer).  I said Armenia but didn't think it was correct.  I did briefly consider Kazakhstan, which would at least have been closer.

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I almost couldn't look while waiting for him to come up with Monroe Doctrine.

I didn't get that one, mainly because Madison kept getting in the way.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I loved that the players couldn't muster enough sexism to remember that angels are all male in the famous line.

I hate that movie so I haven't watched it in years.  Not knowing it was "his wings" had nothing to do with not mustering sexism for me.  It was more wishing Jimmy Stewart would drop that annoying brat in the river.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I did okay in that category but it would've helped if Ken had said what a contronym was.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
On 3/14/2023 at 12:56 PM, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure why the champ bugs, it's probable that he just reminds me of someone.

He seems like a nice guy, I like the stories he tells, but for me, it's the "Uhhhhhh...." before he chooses a clue. It's like nails on a blackboard and I can't get past it. 

• Like 3

I said Van Gogh. Oh well.

I got the missed clues of acupressure, golden retriever, East Berlin and jet.

I got the entire category of biblical names right.

so so night.

And I don't know why, but I felt supersmart that I got telomeres.

• Like 5

March 15:

53% / 67% / 60%

Terrible game, but then it's kinda been a terrible day. In J! I ran Hair of the Dog, at least. I was not quick enough for Alphabetically Next (the only one I got was the freakin' football team; I hate football. Shoulda' got Ford; he was president when I was born). Also only got one in Standing on a board. Missed one Hangover Cure (I've never even been hungover!), two Literary Villains and three in The Morning After.

Did a little better in DJ; ran Four Letter Words and Biblical First Names, missed one in World Travel, two in Pop Culture and Science, and four Nebraskans.

I got FJ at the last second. I first guessed Van Gogh but then towards the end I idly thought "Rembrandt...?" and went with that.

Got the TSes of  silky, Golden Retriever, East Berlin, and jet.

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Ha, so did I (and I got it immediately). I thought for a second it was gonna be a TS, too, and was mildly disappointed when Stephen rang in. 😄

• Like 1

I also said Munch for FJ.  Even if I'd known where Wilhelmina was Queen, I probably wouldn't have gotten FJ correct.  Oh well!

I did, however, get the TS of Blofeld, acupressure, Chicago, Golden Retriever, Peter Billingsley, and frog. (I'm a biologist, so I got telomere, too!)

I though Buffet needed a BMS, and I also thought Gwen bore a striking resemblance to Elizabeth Banks.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wasn't there some type of mega hint in the clue re: the description of the Golden Retriever? Whatever it was, I thought "Yeah, a Golden Retriever, sure!"  

The word "Golden," perhaps?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wasn't there some type of mega hint in the clue re: the description of the Golden Retriever? Whatever it was, I thought "Yeah, a Golden Retriever, sure!"  

My problem was that I don't think of them as working dogs. I couldn't think of any other breed that fit the hint, but I think of Goldens more as family pets than, say, farm or hunting or search and rescue or any other kind of working dogs.

• Like 4

The Golden Retriever TS was a doozy; maybe with "golden" right there in the clue, they thought it couldn't be that easy, but, at just $200, I figured it was a safe guess.  I was also surprised by the acupressure TS.  And jet.

If not for the boarding category, I'd have had a great first round; I missed two in villains, but ran everything else (which was quite a shock in the case of the dog breeds category).  But the only one I came up with in that one was Goofy.

I was greatly annoyed by the presence of another damn Bible category already, but that wound up being the only one I ran in DJ.  I got all but one in Nebraskans, F, and science, but missed two each in the rest.

If I'd known Queen Wilhelmina = The Netherlands, I'd have guessed Rembrandt based on the year, but I had no idea what country she ruled, so had no guess for FJ.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

If I'd known Queen Wilhelmina = The Netherlands, I'd have guessed Rembrandt based on the year, but I had no idea what country she ruled

I was lucky enough to know that, so I got Rembrandt, although the only thing I know about art shows is to make sure the paintings don't fall down.

Kind of reminds me of the sort of clue Jeopardy often has.  Category: Medieval History.  Clue: [Obscure event] occurred in 1473 in this city, which is the capital of France.

Yesterday I thought of a largeish landlocked country, but I was on the wrong continent. 

• Like 5
On 3/11/2023 at 12:01 AM, Quickbeam said:

Humblebrag….I went to public school while my husband went to a fancy private school. So when I get FJ like today, I claim it as a win for public school kids. And we did study the religious underpinnings of William of Orange in my public school. 

Neither of us ever get those “combine two disparate things” categories. I blame cyclamates! 🤣

I was similarly overjoyed to hear one of the writer/directors of Everything Everywhere All at Once, give an enthusiastic “THANK YOU!!” to his many public school teachers at The Academy Awards.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also said Munch for FJ.  Even if I'd known where Wilhelmina was Queen, I probably wouldn't have gotten FJ correct.  Oh well!

I did, however, get the TS of Blofeld, acupressure, Chicago, Golden Retriever, Peter Billingsley, and frog. (I'm a biologist, so I got telomere, too!)

I though Buffet needed a BMS, and I also thought Gwen bore a striking resemblance to Elizabeth Banks.

It was Munch for me, as well.  Ditto on the Queen W bit too.  If I had known the correct country, I like to think that I’d have said Rembrandt, but he was in pretty good company.  I might have thought that clue writers were being crafty, and chosen the very slightly less lauded Vermeer 

7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yes!  I’ve noticed it a small handful of times over the past month or two.  Previously, key words in the clue wouldn’t be used in the correct reply.  Today, I was talking to the tv with a mouth full of cauliflower, “golde… no, gol, fuck, whaaat?”.

Just now, South said:

Yes!  I’ve noticed it a small handful of times over the past month or two.  Previously, key words in the clue wouldn’t be used in the correct reply.  Today, I was talking to the tv with a mouth full of cauliflower, “golde… no, gol, fuck, whaaat?”.

Ahhh, thanks Bastet, the acupressure/pressure one as well.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I find the champ a bit off-putting, too. He's a pretty good-looking guy, but that unkempt, scragglyass beard does him no favors, IMO. 

I hadn’t noticed any scraggly-assedness about his beard, but as someone with a truckload of both Scottish and Irish cousins, their beards come in with many mixed shades.  They also can grow with random patches of interspersed patches of these shades (not an even distribution)giving them an Australian cattle dog appearance.  Throw it on top of fair skin, and  a not-too-close look could appear scraggly assed while actually being quite nice.  My family has decided to find it fantastic.

8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I thought Elizabeth Banks and Cybill Shepard had a baby

• Like 3

It took some mental gymnastics to get FJ last night, but I got there lol.  Queen Wilhelmina made me think of King Willem-Alexander, current King of the Netherlands, and the only Dutch painter I know is Rembrandt, so my love for royalty paid off.

Nothing against the current champ, who seems very nice, but whoever he reminds me of is apparently someone I don't like, I just can't think of who it is.  Good for him for making the ToC, now I'm ready for a new winner.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Ha, so did I (and I got it immediately). I thought for a second it was gonna be a TS, too, and was mildly disappointed when Stephen rang in. 😄

I also instagot telomeres and felt Super Smart, and was also disappointed that it wasn't a TS.😉 
(My telomere knowledge came from being the Bio Dept. library liaison.)

My instaget TSs were: Jet, Ford, Silky, Retriever, and Frog.
Might've gotten if I wasn't distracted: Chicago, acupressure, East Berlin.

Instagot the $1000 frittata, even though I seriously doubt its efficacy as a hangover cure.
Ken hesitated. Maybe he too doubts a frittata would sit well in an upset stomach.

No FJ for this fairly art-knowledgeable person.🙃

First I totally psyched myself out after the FJ category was announced, because my knowledge of art history does not extend to the names of exhibitions beyond the Paris Salon, and even that was totally blocked from my consciousness during the commercial due to my anticipated failure and general Fear OF Forgetting Names in general.
I suspect some TSs we see involve similar thought processes in an otherwise knowledgeable contestant——a variation of the Burden Of Knowledge.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

If I'd known Queen Wilhelmina = The Netherlands, I'd have guessed Rembrandt based on the year, but I had no idea what country she ruled, so had no guess for FJ.

Maybe for me too?
I wrongly guessed Wilhelmina was German, and so went with Albrecht Dürer for FJ, but was not at all confident. Hans Holbein was another thought, which almost conjured up Frans Hals——who was Dutch.
But then the think music was over.
Regardless, I'm not sure I'd have come up with Rembrandt if I'd made the Netherlands connection in time. Could've been Vermeer.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The word "Golden," perhaps?

That's what did it for me.

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

My problem was that I don't think of them as working dogs. I couldn't think of any other breed that fit the hint, but I think of Goldens more as family pets than, say, farm or hunting or search and rescue or any other kind of working dogs.

And you'd be right that it's wrong. I'm sure all of us thought of @saber5055 during this category, being our resident dog breed expert. She asked me to let you all know that the Jeopardy clue writers are wrong and a Golden Retriever is definitely NOT a working breed, but a SPORTING breed. And that:

AKC has seven groups of dogs, Sporting and Working are two distinctly different groups of dogs with very different jobs and characteristics.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I knew Queen Wilhelmina was queen of (waves hands in general Belgium and Netherlands area) and did get Rembrandt. But mostly because Rembrandt is my go-to artist in that region. I don't know much about art, but I do love Rembrandt.

It was a mixed game for me. I did better in Double Jeopardy. Ran "F" and nearly ran a couple more.  Got "Jeremiah" thanks to "bullfrog." A silly, but catchy song that stuck with me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I also instagot telomeres and felt Super Smart, and was also disappointed that it wasn't a TS.😉 
(My telomere knowledge came from being the Bio Dept. library liaison.)

My instaget TSs were: Jet, Ford, Silky, Retriever, and Frog.
Might've gotten if I wasn't distracted: Chicago, acupressure, East Berlin.

Instagot the $1000 frittata, even though I seriously doubt its efficacy as a hangover cure.
Ken hesitated. Maybe he too doubts a frittata would sit well in an upset stomach.

No FJ for this fairly art-knowledgeable person.🙃

First I totally psyched myself out after the FJ category was announced, because my knowledge of art history does not extend to the names of exhibitions beyond the Paris Salon, and even that was totally blocked from my consciousness during the commercial due to my anticipated failure and general Fear OF Forgetting Names in general.
I suspect some TSs we see involve similar thought processes in an otherwise knowledgeable contestant——a variation of the Burden Of Knowledge.

Maybe for me too?
I wrongly guessed Wilhelmina was German, and so went with Albrecht Dürer for FJ, but was not at all confident. Hans Holbein was another thought, which almost conjured up Frans Hals——who was Dutch.
But then the think music was over.
Regardless, I'm not sure I'd have come up with Rembrandt if I'd made the Netherlands connection in time. Could've been Vermeer.  🤷🏻‍♀️

I was actually surprised they accepted frittata as correct as the picture shown was of a Spanish tortilla, which is not quite the same thing.  Ken even hesitated before accepting the response.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
20 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Fun game. I got ALS, consultant and FJ was an instaget. 

FJ was an instaget for me, too.  I knew Wilhelmina was Queen of the Netherlands and the date was too early for Van Gogh to be getting that kind of appreciation.  So it had to be Rembrandt.  Didn't hurt that Rembrandt is my favorite painter.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The issue was whether or not to accept frittata as the answer since the clue had Spanish words in it and actually referenced a Spanish tortilla.  Which is sort of similar to a frittata.  I wouldn't have accepted it since it isn't quite the same thing, but it wasn't the worst possible answer.

I did decently last night.  Ran Literary Villains, Hangover Cures, Biblical First Names and Those Darn Nebraskans.  Got all but 1 clue in Standing On A Board Sideways (I am a goofy foot surfer), The Morning After (stupidly said Jan 5, 1776 instead of July 5, oy), World Travel (I tend to get Asuncion and Montevideo mixed up), and "Four" Letter Words.

I got a lot of stumpers: Ernst Stavros Blofeld, Banzai Pipeline, Chicago, acupressure, silky, East Berlin, Bright Eyes and jet.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1

Re the current champ, I barely notice him.  Usually I have some sort of opinion on contestants, but with him, nothing.

My ts's were Chicago, Billingsley, and frog.

I knew Wilhelmina was queen of the Netherlands so Rembrandt was an instaget.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2