Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I knew something was said by both contestants, I had to rewind and activate the CC option which revealed "You're not going to get rid of me that easily" and the corresponding "Well done".

I could be mistaken, but it didn't seem that serious to me.

No it didn't.  Just same friendly talk

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ tonight!  I also went to Portugal because Magellan was Portuguese.  I was hoping FJs would be less challenging this week, but I'm heading for a zero! (I know, it's only Tuesday, but still!)

I tried to fit Magellan into it and couldn't (explorers not my strong suit), so then I went with Ferdinand - you say "Ferdinand", I say "Marcos!" So that worked for me, though I remembered to say the country at the last second.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Lisa Marie had just died a couple of weeks before this was taped, so on the one hand I'm a little surprised someone guessed Priscilla instead (and then the next said Lisa rather than Lisa Marie), but on the other, the Presleys probably don't mean much of anything to the contestants' generation (thus such recent news at $1600)?

I admit, when Lisa Marie died, I confused her with Priscilla at first - which in my mind is logical, because Priscilla's the mother and therefore older and more likely to die.

Did poorly in the Jeopardy round, though I managed to nearly run "The Rest of the World."

When it came to pop culture reunions, the Jenna Dewan photo made me say "oh, that actress who isn't liked in The Rookie forum."

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I knew something was said by both contestants, I had to rewind and activate the CC option which revealed "You're not going to get rid of me that easily" and the corresponding "Well done".

I could be mistaken, but it didn't seem that serious to me.

Yeah, it was because he had been in the red earlier (-$1,200 at the first commercial) and far behind Jack at the beginning of the second round ($1,000 vs Jack's $11,200; Alison had $4,800). Just friendly competition. (I'm sure the inimitable US Sun has turned it into a bitter rivalry.)

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, it was because he had been in the red earlier (-$1,200 at the first commercial) and far behind Jack at the beginning of the second round ($1,000 vs Jack's $11,200; Alison had $4,800). Just friendly competition. (I'm sure the inimitable US Sun has turned it into a bitter rivalry.)

You bet it has!  I won't link to it, but the headline is along the lines of "Jeopardy fans in shock after contestant talks smack to rival!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Was there something different about the 2019 Teen Tournament that they had more players that the usual tournament?  Where are they getting 27 players when usually there are only 15 in the quarterfinal round?

I too said Portugal. I had completely forgot Ferdinand Marcos Jr. was elected. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

Was there something different about the 2019 Teen Tournament that they had more players that the usual tournament?

They did two teen tournaments that season.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, ABay said:

I'm not deliberately not watching but the video I was trying to watch J! on kept skipping so I gave up.

I was going to watch early yesterday but the video skipped on the very first clue so I stopped it; there were one or two others but by then I was annoyed and didn't feel like trying them, so I just waited until 7:00.

(I was also confused because two of the videos had what seemed like random images in the thumbnail, but I realized when I watched that they were the pictures from visual clues.)

• Like 1

I got FJ.  Educated guess i guess.

I got the missed clues of FDR, folly, cavaliers, the Walking Dead and Meg.

I got the entire categories of CU and welcome right and the entire category of colleges wrong, and I can't believe I missed Purdue and Bowdoin, because I totally knew those.  

• Like 1

February 22:

80% / 43% / 62%

Good first round…ran three categories - Nosh, Science Critters, and "CU" - and missed 1, 2, and 3 in Welcome Back!, European Cities, and Who Played 'Em?, respectively. Bad second round…missed one Jolly Rhyme, four in TV (never watched any of the shows, except exactly one episode of Family Guy), and three in everything else. But I got FJ! and my TSes were folly, dolly, and Meg.

I try not to criticize Mayim's wardrobe, but tonight's outfit was making my eyes go buggy (and what's with the headbands this week?) and she walks like her shoes are too big (actually at the very end when they showed her from the side, it looked like they were). She reminded me of the episode of Big Bang Theory when Amy wears heels for the first time.

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

and I can't believe I missed Purdue and Bowdoin, because I totally knew those.  

The only reason I got Bowdoin (really the only college I can name in Maine, except for the University of...) is because of the movie Where the Heart Is with Natalie Portman.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I waffled between Guam and American Samoa for FJ, but in the end, flipped a mental coin and guessed correctly.  So at least I'll have one this week.

I immediately said Guam and stopped thinking. If American Samoa had occurred to me, I would have had trouble picking between the two.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I guessed correctly on FJ for a change.  I was happy that the game was won by the young woman who wants to be a forest ranger.  I hope her winnings help her get a start in her after college profession because forest rangers don't make a lot of money.  After a slow start, she managed to win by $2!

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

I vaguely recognized (my MO for this tournament) Stephanie from the old footage and was rooting for her for a few reasons - including the shallow one that I liked her shirt and the more substantial one that I love her wanting to be a park ranger - so I was happy with tonight's result.

The nachos clue didn't even belong in a Toddler Tournament.

The folly TS surprised me a little, but I guess that's an outdated term now?  I was also surprised the horse clue resulted in two wrong answers before Autumn finally came up with it; that was very much a $200 clue. 

Cultural osmosis failed me in this game; in the first round, the only actor I knew was Tom Cruise, and in DJ the only one I knew in TV was MNF airs on ESPN.  I had a great first round otherwise, getting everything but the Vistula.  In DJ, I only ran rhyme, but I got all but one in colleges and travel and missed two each in the rest.

FJ was not an instaguess, but it only took me a couple of moments to decide on it and feel fairly confident it was correct.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I guessed correctly on FJ for a change.  I was happy that the game was won by the young woman who wants to be a forest ranger.  I hope her winnings help her get a start in her after college profession because forest rangers don't make a lot of money.  After a slow start, she managed to win by $2!

I was cheering for her big come from behind and then I felt so guilty for rooting against Sreekar who had played so well I actually added aloud "Just to keep it interesting! Nothing against Sreekar."

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Why was a term for Hollywood's industry, dolly, used in the "rhymes with jolly" category?

9 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Why wouldn’t it be? I thought that was so easy and was shocked they all missed it.

The clue as worded on J-Archive seems miss-worded, like when I'm editing and my copy and paste goes awry:

• A camera mounted on a cart is used for this type of movie shot in moving toward a subject or out for the reverse

Should have been:

• A camera mounted on this type of cart is used for a movie shot moving in toward a subject or out for the reverse

--because a "dolly" is a type of cart.
--unless the word "dolly" is used for such movies??

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I try not to criticize Mayim's wardrobe, but tonight's outfit was making my eyes go buggy (and what's with the headbands this week?) and she walks like her shoes are too big (actually at the very end when they showed her from the side, it looked like they were). She reminded me of the episode of Big Bang Theory when Amy wears heels for the first time.

Mayim does seem to favor large, clunky shoes. I am not criticizing, either— if it’s her taste, it’s her taste and she can wear what she likes. I’m not always on the cutting edge of fashion, myself. But some of her choices do leave me puzzled. Today’s headband reminded me of Project Runway, when they would have some leftover fabric and just decide to fashion a matching accessory. No scraps left behind!

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A dolly shot is the term for a moving camera shot where the camera is mounted on a dolly. So their wording was correct. I thought that was fairly common knowledge, and was surprised that none of the contestants knew it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Up to $100K in winnings for a nice nerdy college student?

What is meant by “up to 100k”?  Do I already know the answer to this from previous tournaments?  I thought the amounts were firmly stated.  Did I miss something or have I forgotten something else that I used to know?

1 hour ago, South said:

What is meant by “up to 100k”?  Do I already know the answer to this from previous tournaments?  I thought the amounts were firmly stated.  Did I miss something or have I forgotten something else that I used to know?

You've forgotten the winnings for second & third place.  LOL.

• Wink 1

I had a pretty good night. I ran Have a Nosh and Welcome Back. I only missed one in Science Critters and It’s Great to C U. My only TSs were folly and dolly. FJ was a choice between Guam and American Samoa. I picked the right one. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

You bet it has!  I won't link to it, but the headline is along the lines of "Jeopardy fans in shock after contestant talks smack to rival!"

It's always amusing to see those headlines.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

I immediately said Guam and stopped thinking. If American Samoa had occurred to me, I would have had trouble picking between the two.

I kept thinking, but I stuck to my Guams.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

The nachos clue didn't even belong in a Toddler Tournament.

And yet, I totally blanked out on it even though I'm a noshing expert (says my waistline).

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The clue as worded on J-Archive seems miss-worded, like when I'm editing and my copy and paste goes awry:

• A camera mounted on a cart is used for this type of movie shot in moving toward a subject or out for the reverse

Should have been:

• A camera mounted on this type of cart is used for a movie shot moving in toward a subject or out for the reverse

It's both things - which may be why there's a question about it. The cart which is often used to make the shot, and the term for the shot itself.

I once had to make a dolly shot in a film class - we didn't have a dolly cart so we had to improvise. I sat on a bench filming something to my right and had my boyfriend slide me along the bench. It worked out really well!

It was a pretty good game overall, though I didn't run anything. I did almost run many categories (see "nosh"), more in the Jeopardy round than the Double Jeopardy.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

When Mayim was on What Not To Wear, she was a rather difficult client in that she dresses very modestly (due to religious observation). So she'll always gravitate to things that downplay her body and don't oversexualize her physicality.

20 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Ever since the guest hosting carousel of 2021 and the ensuing Mike Richards drama and exit, there's almost daily clickbait premised on very little more than 'JEOPARDY FANS [ON TWITTER] ARE FURIOUS ABOUT [INSERT OVERHYPED DRAMA HERE].'

• Like 5
  • Love 1

An ice storm knocked out our power last night so I missed Jeopardy! at my usual time of 6:30.  Then the power came back on at 7:28 and I was happy to get to watch it at 7:30 - no such luck.  Power went off again and stayed off until the middle of the night.

Anyhow, I checked the archive just for FJ and did not get it. I might have got it if I had watched the whole game and was in the right frame of mind but that didn't happen so I am, sad to say, 0/3 so far this week.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

An ice storm knocked out our power last night so I missed Jeopardy! at my usual time of 6:30.  Then the power came back on at 7:28 and I was happy to get to watch it at 7:30 - no such luck.  Power went off again and stayed off until the middle of the night.

Anyhow, I checked the archive just for FJ and did not get it. I might have got it if I had watched the whole game and was in the right frame of mind but that didn't happen so I am, sad to say, 0/3 so far this week.

You've still got today (crossing fingers that the power stays on).

• Like 3

Add me into the "American Samoa or Guam" group. I went with Guam, since I have no idea where any country is, but I remembered Guam's slogan "Where America starts its day" and figured it was furthest east, and therefore closest to Asia.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, laredhead said:

Prevailing Wind, do the 2nd and 3rd place contestants get $5,000 on top of what they won during the game, or do they each get just $5,000?

The tournaments always have a flat rate prize. I can't imagine they would have changed it for this convoluted idea of a tournament.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

When Mayim was on What Not To Wear, she was a rather difficult client in that she dresses very modestly (due to religious observation). So she'll always gravitate to things that downplay her body and don't oversexualize her physicality.

Personally, I don't have any issues with Mayim's choice of modest attire. I know I read somewhere that she prefers to wear items from her own closet. What bugs me is that her clothing is frequently ill-fitting and looks as if it needs to be properly tailored. I'd assume there's a wardrobe department of some sort on Jeopardy! Does she have something against using their tailor? 🤷‍♀️

I actually liked her headband last night that matched her blouse pattern. I think a belt or sash might have improved the look overall.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

I get that. I don't get wearing shoes you can't walk properly in... (my bigger issue was just the pattern of her blouse on my TV screen was hard on my eyes). But you can dress modestly and still wear clothes that fit.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 7

February 23:

67% / 70% / 69%

J!: Ran Fashion, missed one in Greek Life and Post-Graduation, two in State Capitals and Eight is Enough, and, not surprisingly, missed four in College Football (thank you, Rose Bowl, for being a thing I know exists).

DJ: Ran You Seem Upset, missed one in Astronomy & Space and Annual Events, two in Authors' Alma Maters and Fight Songs, and three in Old History.

FJ was an instaget and my TSes were Marathon (DD), magenta, Seven Sisters, huff, and agitated.

I actually remember Shriya.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I got FJ.

I got the missed clues of Marathon, Colson Whitehead, John Irving and huff.

I got the entire categories of state capitals, postgrad, Gree ife and alma maters right.

8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

missed four in College Football (thank you, Rose Bowl, for being a thing I know exists).

I shockingly got 3 right in that one Rose Bowl, Patrick Mahomes (thanks Superbowl) and I don't remember the other one.  Oklahoma maybe.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I said pleiades instead of seven sisters. I would have fought for that one. 

I think they would have accepted that...the clue says "this group of astronomical siblings" but it doesn't seem to require a 'sibling' word (or number).

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.

I got the missed clues of Marathon, Colson Whitehead, John Irving and huff.

I shockingly got 3 right in that one Rose Bowl, Patrick Mahomes (thanks Superbowl) and I don't remember the other one.  Oklahoma maybe.

I could not quite pull Colson Whitehead out of my brain.

I could actually sort-of picture Patrick Mahomes but his name didn't come to me in time.

• Like 2

As I was only half paying attention, it took me a second to make the connection between the Campbell's soup cans and the correct response for FJ, but I managed in the nick of time.  

And the only two TS I got were Colson Whitehead and John Irving.

For some reason, I am having a hard time focusing on this tournament!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I didn't recognize anyone from this game, but I was rooting for Shriya because I found her little head tilt oddly endearing and she was my favorite at recreating her silly move from her original introduction.  Alas, she doesn't know how to wager, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Hanukkah was another Toddler Tournament clue.

The Seven Sisters TS surprised me.

So close -- I almost ran the entire first round, but I joined the contestants in being stumped by Grambling State.  It's rare for me to miss a football clue, but I couldn't get LSU Tigers out of my head to switch conferences and come up with another LA school in time.  (Well, I suppose technically I missed two, as I doubt "Nick Fucking Saban" would have been accepted, but had I been on stage I could have kept that middle part in my head.  Probably.)

I did nowhere near as well in DJ, as is typical, but okay; I ran space and upset and got all but one in events, but missed three in fight songs and two each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Instaget FJ for me, too, although I tried to talk myself out of it because it seemed ridiculous. But the clue pointed absolutely no where else, so Warhol it remained.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Toddler Tournament 

Don’t give them any ideas.

• LOL 11
14 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said pleiades instead of seven sisters. I would have fought for that one. 

I said both, so I was covered.

FJ was an instaget if they would have accepted "that guy who painted soup cans".  But, they probably wouldn't have.  I know his name as well as my own but it just wouldn't come to me.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For some reason, I am having a hard time focusing on this tournament!

Ditto.  It just seems so random and pointless.

• Like 5

I really enjoy the then and now pictures at the beginning. Since I am not around kids much, it amazes me what a difference 5 years can make. I also enjoy the interviews to hear what they are doing now. But the game itself, not so much and I can't figure out why.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Like 8
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I could not quite pull Colson Whitehead out of my brain.

Me neither. I could see the cover of the book, read the title, but only got as far as "C" for the author. I've always called this my faulty photographic memory - in school I could visualize the page an answer was on, and read everything but the danged answer! 😆

FJ was an instaget - the Campbell's soup and Andy Warhol just go together in my brain like peanut butter and jelly.

• Like 2

For a special 1970s cookbook, he provided one simple recipe–a can of Campbell’s tomato soup & 2 cans of milk

I guessed correctly for FJ (in a "what else could it be" kind of way), but does anyone else think that recipe sounds kind of nasty?  Tomato-flavored warm milk?  I know the condensed tomato soup says you can use either water or milk, but two cans of milk?  (Okay, I know that's not the point.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2