Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

February 20:

80% / 70% / 74%

Decent game, I'll pretend it's not a young-people tournament.

J!: Ran Reunion Shows (even though I never watched most of them; I watched Friends and sometimes Baywatch, but not the reunions, and never watched the other shows at all) and Crossword Clues T, missed one in Tech and Spring Break and two in Bodies of Water and John Green (I like him, watch his Vlog Brothers channel, but have never read any of his books...though the ones I missed were about the nickname related to Vlog Brothers and the book he coauthored, which I had never heard of).

DJ: Ran National Anthems, missed one in French and Religion, two in Libraries and History, and three Palindromes.

FJ: I pre-guessed Mark Twain or William Faulkner but couldn't come up with the correct answer. I knew I'd feel dumb when it was revealed, too. I was right about that. I guess the clue being about New Orleans threw me off.

TS: tangent, South Padre Island, Fallujah, stacks, and chapel (DD)

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said William FAulkner because I couldn't think of any other mid 20th century southern writers.

I got the missed clues of Fallujah and chapel.

I got the entire category of French right.

I also said Faulkner and couldn't think of anyone else even though I knew there were others I should know. But they wouldn't come to me.

I got chapel and should have got Fallujah because I saw a reference to it just lately.

Anyhow, kind of a boring game.

• Like 1

I should have gotten FJ, but, like several of y'all, I also said Faulkner.

I only got the TS of tangent, South Padre Island, and Fallujah.  I dispute that the title of the anthem is "God Save the Queen" -- isn't it now "God Save the King"?

I don't remember any of these people, but I was rooting for Maya, so good for her!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I'm so mad at myself for missing FJ. 😠When I saw the category, I pre-guessed Faulkner, Harper Lee or Tennessee Williams. Then I saw "French Quarter" in the clue, knew it was New Orleans and immediately wrote down Faulkner, as I had made a point of stopping by Faulkner House while visiting New Orleans a few years back. I couldn't remember if it was on Toulouse Street. (It wasn't. It's about two blocks away.) And then I started thinking that his name didn't bond him to the South in any specific way. By the time my brain got back to Tennessee Williams, time was up. 🤦‍♀️

It only took Mayim four responses into the first round until she belittled the contestants for not knowing an answer that she knew in the John Green category, about fans of Green and his brother. Mayim: "Oh, I'm the only one?! No?
It's Nerdfighters."

I'd bet Ken knows the correct responses to any Triple Stumpers about 95% of the time. Never does he rub it in. I wish Ken could host everything. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't remember any of these people, but I was rooting for Maya, so good for her!

The name Rohit sounded familiar, but I certainly wouldn't have been able to match the name to the face.

I did like the "then and now" picture intros. Not that they helped jog my memory or anything.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They had to have an extra tournament for this?

I wish they would’ve made this another prime time thing. This taking up three weeks of regular Jeopardy slots is nonsense. LOL 

• Like 17

I vaguely remembered all three, Maya the most, so I was rooting for her.

I was curious about the timing so looked it up to see if the J! curse struck again, but nope -- Jeremy Renner's accident had already occurred (almost a month before) when this was taped.  (I'd never heard of him until the accident, and didn't recognize his picture, so I missed that one.)

The streaming TS was a shocker.  Tangent surprised me a bit, as did stacks.  They're students; they don't go into libraries at all anymore to know what the shelves are called, it's just all online?

If it wasn't for the John Green category, I'd have had a fantastic first round.  I have no idea who he is, and only managed to come up with two in that one.  Other than that, I got everything but the Hellespont TS.

I did fairly well in DJ; I ran French and got all but one each in national anthems and religion (go figure!). I missed three in palindromes and two each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget, or at least an instaguess I figured had to be correct (meaning I didn't know the facts stated, but couldn't think of any other southern writer named for anything southern, so felt confident that was it).

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

FJ was an instaget, or at least an instaguess I figured had to be correct (meaning I didn't know the facts stated, but couldn't think of any other southern writer named for anything southern, so felt confident that was it).

I didn't have a better guess but I wasn't confident it was right since Tennessee is 500 miles from New Orleans. 

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I dispute that the title of the anthem is "God Save the Queen" -- isn't it now "God Save the King"?

I don't have a problem with their accepting God Save the Queen, since it's an [insert current monarch type here] situation and we had Her Majesty for so long. I was surprised that Mayim didn't add any relevant comments about the recent change. Did they not have King in the script as an option?

• Like 7

I preguessed William Faulkner or Carson McCullers for FJ. When the clue came up, I tried to think of anyone with a Louisiana/ New Orleans-based name, then names based on general Southern terms: Dixie? Confederacy? Rebel? Nothing.

Tennessee never entered my mind, since I was mislead to think of a different state. That’s my excuse, anyway. Smug husband got it, though.

Palindrome category: I forget the clue, but contestant answers with “XXX”. Mayim corrects: “That’s actually Triple X.”

”Triple X” is not a palindrome. “XXX” is. Shut up, Mayim.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
30 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Palindrome category: I forget the clue, but contestant answers with “XXX”. Mayim corrects: “That’s actually Triple X.”

”Triple X” is not a palindrome. “XXX” is. Shut up, Mayim.

I feel like this is blaming Mayim for a circumstance engineered by the writers. It's called Triple X and is spelled XXX. If the contestant had given Triple X as the response I would expect them to accept it and ideally offer the justification that it is spelled XXX and hence a palindrome as promised. Since Maya said "XXX" I appreciated the clarification that it is normally pronounced Triple X. The only better solution would have been not to force that clue into a palindrome category.

• Like 10
47 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I always wondered, back when commercials would state their URL, why everyone said "DoubleU, DoubleU, DoubleU dot whatever dot com" and no one said "Triple DoubleU dot..."

Anyway, I took a nap. Looking at TheJeopardyFan, I got Fj easily. I'm not sure why it was so easy for me. I think I'll be taking naps every weekday for the next three weeks.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I don’t have the Mayim dislike that some people have expressed, but I agree that this tournament is not a great idea. When the premise was announced, I was momentarily excited at the prospect of a student from my school getting a second chance. But since all the contestants are from 2019 and she was on before that, it’s not to be. Why did 2019 have more teenagers deserving a second chance than other years? Is this a replacement for the college tournament or an addition to it?

I won’t stop watching, even though the pop culture categories make me feel even older. But I did get FJ. Sneaky of them to have the answer be a playwright when most people are inclined to think of novelists first!

• Like 6

I got hit by two bricks last night. First when I saw Mayim hosting and secondly when it was a Tournament and not a regular game. I was able to run the French category. All I got was Chapel and the FJ clue of Tennessee Williams. 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said William FAulkner because I couldn't think of any other mid 20th century southern writers.

I don't think I actually said Faulkner - though he was in my mind the whole time. I got confused about "choosing a professional name that bound him to the South" and never got to a satisfying answer. When it was revealed I smacked my head - NOW the clue made sense. Don't know why I never thought of him, I certainly read (and acted) his works. If he'd even flitted through my mind I would have realized he fit the bill. Oh well, them's the breaks.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was curious about the timing so looked it up to see if the J! curse struck again, but nope -- Jeremy Renner's accident had already occurred (almost a month before) when this was taped.  (I'd never heard of him until the accident, and didn't recognize his picture, so I missed that one.)

Thanks for doing the work. I wondered that myself.

I ran French and Reunion Shows. I might have done better in Palindromes if I'd noticed the category - I didn't realize that was the category until I looked at J!Archive.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I dispute that the title of the anthem is "God Save the Queen" -- isn't it now "God Save the King"?

That was my answer.  Unless this was taped before 9/8/22, it definitely should've been God Save the King.

Edited to note that I don't think the contestant should've been penalized for "Queen" but I am a little surprised that Mayim didn't say "or King".

12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I didn't have a better guess but I wasn't confident it was right since Tennessee is 500 miles from New Orleans. 

I took a good bit of time saying "I have no idea" before Tennessee Williams came to mind and I went with that.  Even though I wasn't sure if the state of Tennessee actually counts as "south".

John Green writes cheesey schmaltzy young adult fiction. The fault in our stars is probably his best known work.  

He is like Nicholas sparks for teens

And that and Looking for Alaska are the only books by him that I've even heard of, so that category sucked for me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I took a good bit of time saying "I have no idea" before Tennessee Williams came to mind and I went with that.  Even though I wasn't sure if the state of Tennessee actually counts as "south".

A cousin of my father's once said (direct quote) "There ain't but three southern states, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia." LOL (they're from Mississippi). But her opinion aside, I think Tennessee is counted as a Southern state.

• Like 2

Overall it was a mediocre game.  I did get FJ and the stumpers of South Padre Island (thanks, Beachfront Bargain Hunt for making me aware it exists), chapel, incense and Assyria.

I ran Reunion Shows, Let's Take A Spring Break and Palindromes In Pop Culture.  I got all but 1 clue in National Anthems (Israel's sounded Finnish to me), Pardon My French and Religion Has Its Place.

I only knew airplane mode and the dreaded Blue Screen of Death in the Tech category, and was surprised I got that many correct.

I got Huron in the HOMES clue only because it's been discussed here before so thanks you guys.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

A cousin of my father's once said (direct quote) "There ain't but three southern states, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia." LOL (they're from Mississippi). But her opinion aside, I think Tennessee is counted as a Southern state.

I figured if it was a Confederate one, it should count.  And it was all I had.

• Like 1

I actually remembered Maya from the teen tournament and she was really good.  I think she placed in the finals but didn't win.  She should slow down her speech a little.  I don't find her chipper, just smart.  

• Like 2

Yes, indeed Tennessee is a southern state - just ask anybody (like me) who has lived here his or her whole life!  You just have to listen to us talk to know that.

You can tell how far down south someone is by how many syllables they put in a one-syllable word.

I can't imagine where else Tennessee would fit if not the south!  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

John Green writes cheesey schmaltzy young adult fiction.

That would certainly explain why I've never heard of him.  From the category, I wasn't curious enough to look him up last night, so thanks for the info.

• Like 2

February 21:

73% / 60% / 66%

Okay first round...ran College Towns and Rest of the World, missed one in What Have You Been Up To and They Make it, two in TikTok, and four in Adjectives. I'm ashamed that I did better in TikTok than the word category…and I am not even on TikTok. In the second round I only ran Homecoming…missed four in Elements (I usually do so much better with that), and two in everything else. No clue for FJ and my only TS was Gross Point. Edit: and Excommunication (thanks Katy M for reminding me that was TS!).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

I was trying to methodically go through country leaders and said "this is not going to happen."  Magellan was Portuguese, I don't know the current ruler o fPortugal, so I'll just say Portugal.

I got the missed clue of excommunication.

I got the entire category of homecoming right.

I had a terrible terrible first round.  I had an OK DJ.  Failed miserably with FJ and ended up pretty far in the red.  I may need to take a loan out to pay my Jeopardy debts.

• LOL 6
10 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It was a good game great come back from negative money. 

But WTF was mayim wearing!  Looked like a little girl dressed up as a 1950s flight attendant for Halloween. 

And I thought she was wearing a fez (hah! that would be right up her alley 😸). Rats... I was pulling for the guy in the middle (he was the only one not saying "please"). At least I knew all the college towns.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, labresq said:

Yes, indeed Tennessee is a southern state - just ask anybody (like me) who has lived here his or her whole life!  You just have to listen to us talk to know that.

My favorite professor in college was from Tennessee. He had a thick accent. It was great. Also, he was the Renaissance & Earlier guy (English Lit major) so it was kind of entertaining to listen to him reading Old English with that accent.

(His area of interest was not my favorite, but he was such a great teacher he couldn't help but be my favorite. I actually first had him for a Dickens class - much more my speed - which he was covering for another prof who had surgery; he said he had only ever taught Great Expectations when he was in grad school, so he was reading the books right along with us.)

• Like 4

I did not get FJ tonight!  I also went to Portugal because Magellan was Portuguese.  I was hoping FJs would be less challenging this week, but I'm heading for a zero! (I know, it's only Tuesday, but still!)

The only TS I got were Grosse Pointe and excommunication.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Lady Lucy said:

Who knew there's a Ferdinand Marcos Jr.???

I actually said Ferdinand Marcos Jr. ??? -With- the question marks, but what I did NOT say was The Philippines. Damn. Never even noticed they wanted the country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Lady Lucy said:

I focused on the Ferdinand part and said Ferdinand Marcos. But he's dead so I was stumped.  Who knew there's a Ferdinand Marcos Jr.???

I remembered the news that recently Marcos Jr had been elected, so I did say Marcos and caught that they wanted the country in time, so said Philippines. I did not know about the travel.

I had hoped that Alison would get her Daily Double as well but she was still in contention for Final so it was a good game. Jack had played so well I was surprised that he went as far wrong as Ukraine which is so much in the news. But good for Avi with his aggressive DD wager.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Spelling
  • Like 2

It was a good game great come back from negative money. 

But WTF was mayim wearing!  Looked like a little girl dressed up as a 1950s flight attendant for Halloween. 

I said almost the same thing, why do grown women dress like little girls? She really comes across as fake to me. Too gushy happy.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Had a hockey game with the family…Let’s Go Canes 

I checked the archive and I did get FJ so I’m on the upswing. 
(I made the mistake of saying that #37 might get a hat trick and jinxed him. Now that I said upswing I’ve probably jinxed my FJs for the duration of the week 😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 2/20/2023 at 8:50 PM, ProudMary said:

It only took Mayim four responses into the first round until she belittled the contestants for not knowing an answer that she knew in the John Green category, about fans of Green and his brother. Mayim: "Oh, I'm the only one?! No?
It's Nerdfighters."

I’m no fan of Mayim’s but there was nothing “belittling” about that! She was poking fun at herself, not the contestants.

• Like 14
  • Love 1

I came in about a minute late so missed the "then" footage and don't recognize any of them now.  During the interview segment, I recalled that Avi donated part of his winnings to a pancreatic cancer research.  I was still rooting for Allison, but good for him on that DD wager!  (And I liked Jim's "Well done" when Avi said they weren't getting rid of him that easily.)

Lisa Marie had just died a couple of weeks before this was taped, so on the one hand I'm a little surprised someone guessed Priscilla instead (and then the next said Lisa rather than Lisa Marie), but on the other, the Presleys probably don't mean much of anything to the contestants' generation (thus such recent news at $1600)?

The only first round category I ran was 2018-19, but I got all but one in everything else besides TikTok, in which I missed three (which is two fewer than I expected, so good for me).  I should have run make it, but I could not get Gibson from my brain to my mouth in time after Fender was ruled out (those are the only two guitar brands I know).

I also only ran one in DJ, From E to Y, and homes was the only category I got all but one in.  I missed two each in everything else.

FJ was an instaget.  Ferdinand immediately made me think of Marcos, and then 2022 confirmed it was the Philippines since his son's election was big in international news then.

• Like 6

I was bringing in groceries so didn't see most of it. But I did hear the clue about where did the north and south Korean leaders meet. I absent mindedly thought What is the Neutral Zone. I'll see myself out.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

During the interview segment, I recalled that Avi donated part of his winnings to a pancreatic cancer research.  I was still rooting for Allison, but good for him on that DD wager!  (And I liked Jim's "Well done" when Avi said they weren't getting rid of him that easily.) 

I missed the interviews, so I'm glad to hear that Avi was donating part of his winnings to pancreatic cancer research. 
I had not wanted Avi to win after he remarked to the seemingly run-away middle guy, "You're not getting rid of me that easily!" after Avi's bold DD wager paid off.
I wasn't paying close attention, so it just sounded like poor sportsmanship to me, but now I realize he might have just been good-naturedly teasing. 
Did anyone notice if he smiled and made eye contact when he said it, and did the middle guy respond in a friendly manner?

In Monday's game, I was sad that nobody knew the Chicago Public Library is the Harold Washington Library. 

IIRC, Avi was also the one who wrote "We love you, Alex" on his FJ tablet, and Alex choked up about it. And, yes, Jim did respond in a friendly way after Avi's DD. I did not catch "You're not getting rid of me that easily." 

That said, I didn't think Avi as the winner of the original tourney should have been invited back. I thought the whole point of the thing was to give other worthy young people a chance at the big $$$.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

IIRC, Avi was also the one who wrote "We love you, Alex" on his FJ tablet, and Alex choked up about it. And, yes, Jim did respond in a friendly way after Avi's DD. I did not catch "You're not getting rid of me that easily." 

That said, I didn't think Avi as the winner of the original tourney should have been invited back. I thought the whole point of the thing was to give other worthy young people a chance at the big $$$.

Avi is not the same kid who wrote that message to Alex. Can't recall his name, though.

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Avi is not the same kid who wrote that message to Alex. Can't recall his name, though.

Oops, you’re right. I think his name was Dhruv.

ETA: Never mind.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

And, yes, Jim did respond in a friendly way after Avi's DD. I did not catch "You're not getting rid of me that easily." 

I knew something was said by both contestants, I had to rewind and activate the CC option which revealed "You're not going to get rid of me that easily" and the corresponding "Well done".

I could be mistaken, but it didn't seem that serious to me.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 3