Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did, too.  I really like him and what he's done with his career.  Seeing him sing "She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain" in Miracle Workers was awesome.

I saw this a few years back, it's hysterical. Daniel hasn't always chosen (imo) the best roles, but this one is a gem.

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Same here. Also enjoyed how all these “recent adults” went straight there, first thing. 

And they're second generation - my kids (now in their 30s) went through the books as they were published. We all read them. Whatever complaints I may have about Rowling, she built an engaging universe in those books.

I didn't do all that great in the game, though I did get most of Harry Potter.

I can never get to Helena Bonham Carter's name. I can immediately recognize her, but the name always escapes me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My cousin had tomato soup and grilled cheese at the cocktail hour at his wedding. The soup was in little cups (kind of like wide shot glasses) and the sandwiches were cut into triangles. There weren't even any kids invited.

Now I want grilled cheese.

My nephew and his fiancee did the same thing.  It was pretty cool.  And yes, I want grilled cheese now, too.

17 hours ago, illdoc said:

Why didn't anyone else ring in once the contestant picked the wrong "Wars of the Roses" house????? 

That one confused me, because the House of Lancaster lost to the House of York.  Although I suppose, ultimately, the House of Tudor won in the end, so I guess "Full House of York" could be considered correct.  Yeah, there are times when the degree in Medieval and Renaissance Studies causes me to over-think things.

17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I paid close attention during the J! round and Mayim only hesitated a ruling for the DD. She ruled immediately on all the other clues. 🤷‍♂️

Definitely unusual for her.

5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I was surprised that Claire chose to participate in the reunion since she was subjected to some horrible cyberbullying when she won in 2018, including accusations that she had sex with Alex to get the answers.

I was surprised she was chosen because she won the teen tournament.  I did not know about that.  That is truly shitty.  Maybe they selected her so that she could have a good experience this time.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I did not know about that.  That is truly shitty.  Maybe they selected her so that she could have a good experience this time.

It's also possible that she wanted to have a wider forum to publicize the story.  Unfortunately sometimes someone will get singled out for public ridicule and abuse, for no particular reason except that people suck.  Jeopardy contestants are not immune to that.

Sadly, there are a fair number of contestants, especially female contestants, who can tell stories about receiving unkind comments about their appearance, their weight, their voices, their intelligence, their personalities, etc.  Claire's experience is particularly nasty, but a lot of folks who have been on the show have had similar experiences to one degree or another.

• Sad 10
On 2/28/2023 at 1:17 PM, MrAtoz said:

Sadly, there are a fair number of contestants, especially female contestants, who can tell stories about receiving unkind comments about their appearance, their weight, their voices, their intelligence, their personalities, etc.  Claire's experience is particularly nasty, but a lot of folks who have been on the show have had similar experiences to one degree or another.

Years ago, there was a girl in a Teen Tournament who had a really squeaky voice, and I immediately thought "Good for her!" putting herself on national TV despite knowing the teasing she inevitably took was going to be magnified by the internet. 

But accusing a 16-year-old girl of sleeping with Alex Trebek in order to get the answers, because of course that's the only way she could have won?  That's a new low.  I don't use social media, so I only learn about the worst of the worst of it when it's mentioned in this forum, and that's utterly disgusting. 

Shifting gears, I think the online vitriol is one of the reasons J! contestants form a community and stand up for each other.  They're bonded not just by the shared experiences of auditioning and studying, being selected, walking into the studio, watching the games before theirs, finally competing, not being able to share the results, and watching their game when it airs, but also of then having the feedback trickle in, some of which is completely out of bounds for people who simply spent 20 minutes in a televised trivia competition.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8
  • Applause 4

I was not confident of my answer but I got FJ.

I got the missed clues of jurisprudence, philately, lace and peseta (after the wrong answer of peso).

Not a great night for me.  Did a bit better in DJ than the first round, but that's not saying much.

10 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I was surprised that Claire chose to participate in the reunion since she was subjected to some horrible cyberbullying when she won in 2018, including accusations that she had sex with Alex to get the answers.

Who would say such a thing? 1. she was a teenager and saying somethng like that isn't cool.  And 2. Alex has never had any such accusation levelled at him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

February 28:

70% / 77% / 73%

Not as good as yesterday but not terrible...Ran College, missed one each in Hobbies and 13-letter Words, two Rappers and Nose Knows, and three in People from Islands. In DJ I ran Medieval Times, missed two in Classical Music and That's a Laugh, and one each in the rest.

Did not get FJ (Helen vaguely passed through my brain but I didn't seriously consider it…felt too obvious but then I should probably know better by now).

Got all three DDs and the TSes of lace (surprised they didn't get that one…), trial by ordeal, marmoset (there'd be days like this 😉), and EM Forster.

Who TF is Earl Sweatshirt? And what was so exciting about the Pickleball response?

I was rooting for Lucas; I LOLed at his "WTF was that" recreation of his younger self's intro. 

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

peseta (after the wrong answer of peso)

I might have gotten that if I had remembered the category...

• Like 3

I knew as soon as I saw the category that I would struggle with FJ, and indeed I struggled to the point that I did not come up with anything.

But I did manage the TS of jurisprudence, philately, lace, and gaucho.

• Like 3

Dammit, for Wordle, I knew it was that game y'all were posting about a while back, but I could not for the life of me remember the name.  If not for the rappers category, that would have been my only miss in the first round.  Alas, I almost blew that one entirely; I only knew Megan Thee Stallion, and only because of Thee in the clue.

I was afraid I'd be equally terrible in classical music, but I got all but one.  It turned out authors and TV shows were my bad categories for DJ; I missed three in each.  I ran the rest, though, so still a decent round.

I knew I was doomed for FJ, though; I didn't even bother trying to guess.

I was rooting for Audrey, but Lucas's imitation of his original intro moves made me laugh.  It was a good game, neck and neck and neck throughout until Lucas got the second DD in DJ and even then Audrey made good strides towards catching up at the end.

• Like 4

Talked myself out of the correct answer for FJ. Oh well.

A so-so game for me - ran People from Islands and Medieval Times, but got nothing in Rappers (I'm old) and nothing in That's a Laugh (antenna TV only).  But I got 6 TS - philately, ordeal, lace, gaucho, peseta and marmoset so there's that.

Lief Erikson as a $1200 clue in DJ with Erik the Red as part of the clue  really?

• Like 3

I loved the way Audrey styled her outfit:

image.png.8b91c85fc8bb12c87dd44751adddc8af.png

5 hours ago, SHD said:

I got one of the answers in the Rappers category and I’m calling that a win for someone my age - LOL.

We are close in age, and I got 2 Rappers, so yay oldsters?
I got in the habit of familiarizing myself with as many rappers as possible when I was reference librarian to college kids. 
I've seen Megan Thee Stallion and Bad Bunny on several shows, so was able to name them from the clues. 
I am at least as familiar with Lil Nas X, but "Old Town Road" is probably the only title I know.
And Nicki Minaj's name is even more familiar to me, but I could never tell you specifically for what, perhaps because she isn't "just" a rapper.
Never heard of the $800 rapper before, but he has an extensive Wikipedia page, FWIW, which might be why he got a clue on Jeopardy!

TSs were Forester and lace.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Re. Mayim’s hesitations: I think it’s a combination of the reasons already mentioned. I think sometimes she’s too busy twisting and giggling and has to look down to double check. But occasionally, I do think she tries to build a little suspense. It happens far too often with Daily Doubles for that to be a coincidence.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:45 PM, ams1001 said:

My cousin had tomato soup and grilled cheese at the cocktail hour at his wedding. The soup was in little cups (kind of like wide shot glasses) and the sandwiches were cut into triangles. There weren't even any kids invited.

I think that’s fantastic.
And I always cut my grilled cheese on the diagonal.(So, big triangles?) It’s better for dipping that way.

I am very mad that I missed FJ. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And what was so exciting about the Pickleball response?

I guess Mayim just likes Pickleball. I thought maybe she'd participated in the celebrity pickleball tournament last year, but I looked it up and she didn't.

14 hours ago, SHD said:

I got one of the answers in the Rappers category and I’m calling that a win for someone my age - LOL.

Megan Thee Stallion was the only one I got (in the easy spot, of course), because the writer/editor in me has always been a little disgruntled by the name. As for Nicky Minaj, I don't know her music - I know her mostly from her story about her cousin's friend's supposed reaction to the Covid vaccine.

A middling game, I almost ran "Nose" (can never remember philtrum), and Classical Music (a real win for me). I ran Hobbies at least. Not that I have any.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

It's also possible that she wanted to have a wider forum to publicize the story.  Unfortunately sometimes someone will get singled out for public ridicule and abuse, for no particular reason except that people suck.  Jeopardy contestants are not immune to that.

I will always be profoundly glad that my social media presence was almost non-existent when I was a contestant.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I only knew Megan Thee Stallion, and only because of Thee in the clue.

That was the only one I got, for the same reason.

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I am at least as familiar with Lil Nas X, but "Old Town Road" is probably the only title I know.

Oops, I did get that one, primarily because Montero was all over the radio station I listened to a few months ago.  I actually like that song.  I know Nicki Minaj, but the song title meant nothing to me; I was surprised that 2022 was the year of her first #1 hit.

So 2 correct answers in Rappers for this old fogey.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Not that it mattered, but I heard Anish say "register" for "registrar". After he answered, Mayim immediately followed up with "Yes, registrar".

I’ve been listening to the Inside Jeopardy! podcast, and several times they’ve emphasized how when there’s something questionable, they stop the game and the judges do a thorough review, so what we see in the broadcast is 100% the fair decision. Even with all those reassurances, this one bugged me. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

But occasionally, I do think she tries to build a little suspense. It happens far too often with Daily Doubles for that to be a coincidence.

That's the only time I notice it, so have always figured that's the reason.

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Not that it mattered, but I heard Anish say "register" for "registrar". After he answered, Mayim immediately followed up with "Yes, registrar".

I heard that, too! I was really expecting a correction after the commercial break. There was another ruling that I felt was too lenient, but I can’t remember what it was now. I figured they were just going easy on the kids.

• Like 4

March 1:

80% / 77% / 79%

Damn, I did so well in J!...except for completely failing Math; but I missed one in Art Supplies and ran everything else. DJ was pretty good, too…ran Give That Book a Prize, missed two Pop Musicians and Re:Union and one in everything else.

I got FJ but it wasn't an instaget because I had to do math.

TSes were Monday, Sunday in the Park with George, flip-flop, clatter, Pont Neuf (and even surprised myself by spelling it right!), mercury, and Jumanji.

Apropos of nothing, today is National Welsh Corgi Day.

9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I think that’s fantastic.
And I always cut my grilled cheese on the diagonal.(So, big triangles?) It’s better for dipping that way.

I cut grilled cheese into squares or triangles, depending on my whim at the time. These were small triangles (each sandwich cut into four). Probably better for the size of the cups they used, anyway. (Also, they were hors d'oeuvres so... not that I didn't eat enough to potentially spoil my dinner, anyway.)

• Like 3

Re: FJ. In the Almanac section of today's Chicago Tribune, they essentially listed the FJ! That is (somewhat paraphrased since I don't have the newspaper handy) "On this date in 1875 the Civil Rights Act was signed (the Supreme Court struck it down in 1883)"

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
55 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I got FJ but it wasn't an instaget because I had to do math.

Same here.  And I got the TS of Sunday In The Park With George, Monday, clatter, Pont Neuf, mercury, and Bridge of Sighs.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Right!  I even asked the television, “what?  No hesitation or half-step on THAT?”

• Like 4

Category: Middle "RTH"   Clue: A greater distance away.

"Further" was accepted, but the real answer is "Farther"

Examples of further:  Further more, I want to say, OR Upon further consideration, I've changed my mind.

Only farther matches the clue.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

It is not incorrect according to merriam-webster.com:

"Further is the older of the two, with farther originating from it as a variant in Middle English. For much of their history the words have been used interchangeably. As adverbs, they still are interchangeable when applied to distance (whether spatial, temporal, or metaphorical)."

"[W]hen using an adjective to refer to distance, either literal or figurative, the words are once again interchangeable (although further is increasing in frequency)."

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4

I was rooting for Eesha, but this was Tim's game.

I didn't keep track as I was watching in the bedroom (playing with my cat) rather than the office, but I think I only ran math and onomatopoeia in the first round.  I didn't have a terrible category, at least - not even recent movies, which I was fearing - but I missed one or two in most of them.

In DJ, I know I ran unions and "erth" and think I ran energy, too.  I was pretty bad in books (I'm sure I missed at least three), and missed one or two in the rest.

FJ was an instaget (I'm a civil rights lawyer; it better be!).

• Like 6

FJ was not an instaget, because I had to do the math then correct my math after I realized 1974 did not quite add up. But I was amused to see I followed the same thought process as Tim:  I also thought Voting Rights then mentally crossed that out and said Civil Rights Act. 

I, too, could be a superfluous high school reunion contestant! Yay, me!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

FJ was not an instaget, because I had to do the math then correct my math after I realized 1974 did not quite add up. But I was amused to see I followed the same thought process as Tim:  I also thought Voting Rights then mentally crossed that out and said Civil Rights Act.

I didn't actually do the math per se. That is, I don't subtract or add the number presented. I go in groups of ten and guesstimate. If I actually did the math, I'd never get to the answer in time. Doing it in my head is almost always a losing proposition. So I managed to get there without too much trouble.

I nearly ran CarpeDiem and Unions and did fairly well in most categories. I got Washi tape because my daughter (an artist) designs and sells her own. It's pretty cool.

I got Mondays, teamsters, Sunday in the Park with George and Bridge of Sighs (that was a total guess).

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Last night it happened on just about every answer.

I actually managed to do the math, come up with the correct year and the right answer!  It's a Saturnalia miracle!

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I also thought Voting Rights then mentally crossed that out and said Civil Rights Act. 

I thought of the Voting Rights act too, but went with the correct one. 

24 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't actually do the math per se. That is, I don't subtract or add the number presented. I go in groups of ten and guesstimate. If I actually did the math, I'd never get to the answer in time.

I added 100 years to 1883 then subtracted 20, which gave me 1963.  That was close enough to the correct year to give me the right answer.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I did not get FJ tonight -- I got distracted again, even though I tried so hard!  I stayed fairly focussed until the break between J and DJ, but, well, I don't even know what distracted me!  

So all my TS were in the first round, too -- sandpiper, polo, hockey, osprey, and golf.

• Like 3
(edited)

There have been a lot of TS/missed DD this week. I only got 4 today - sandpiper, hockey, baseball and zeppelin but thought I should have gotten more including golf and polo. Like Browncoat I felt like I was distracted but don't know why.

And Silk Road as a $2000 clue DD especially with "fabric" in the clue? Not quite Toddler Jeopardy, but really?

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 9

Will it never end?? 😞  Between Mayim and the returned teens, my favorite must see TV has become unwatchable.    I wonder if they’ve seen a drop in the ratings.   I’ve known all my life there isn’t anything particularly unique about me so I can’t be the only one giving up on the show.  I tried to watch, I really, really tried.   

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Also he risked WAY too much on this daily doubles in the second round.  He was up more than 20000 over both of them.  Especially the second daily double there was no need for it at all. Didn't matter in the end but allowed second place to needlessly get a lot closer. 

• Like 3

I take issue with the word "crucifix" being accepted for "cross." A cross is two linear  pieces (of wood or two lines or two sticks or whatever medium) that intersect. A crucifix is a depiction of a cross with the body of Christ affixed to it. The item that was described in the clue was a cross. 

• Like 22

I have a difficult time watching Bialik, but I must say I liked her outfit tonight and I was highly amused at her "Ess-yay" to the "Ix-Nay" response.

This was the first show of this illogical "tournament" that I've watched. Boy, there sure are a lot of TSs.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have a difficult time watching Bialik, but I must say I liked her outfit tonight and I was highly amused at her "Ess-yay" to the "Ix-Nay" response.

I'm normally not overly bothered by her (I prefer Ken, but don't like to harp on Mayim), but I was irritated by the "multiples of 18" thing...no, he is betting numbers that end in 18, not multiples of 18. I wondered if the ess-yay thing was planned ahead of time or not. I couldn't tell.

I did laugh at roulette being guessed in the sports category - I wonder if she was thinking of ringette?

Overall it was a bit of a rough game, and more of a one-man show.

• Like 7

Oh, dear, that sports category.  Worse than the NFL one that went entirely unanswered, I think, because it's one thing for all three to happen not to know anything (or, at least, not any of the things asked about) about one particular sport, but for all three not to get anything when asked about five different sports?  Although, what made that one notorious was Alex's hilarious reaction to it (and I think they did all five in order, making it even more obvious).

Other than that category, Caleb was on fire; he rang in on over half the clues and only responded incorrectly three times.  There's something about him I didn't really vibe with (although I did love the "Peaked in High School" team name with the other TT contestant), so I was rooting for Hannah, but good for him.

The driver & river TS surprised me a bit.  Maybe they don't ever print, just submit everything electronically.

Ruling "ixnay" correct by saying "esyay" gave me a good chuckle.

I ran sports, courses, and D-minus and got all but one in the rest of the first round categories.

But I only ran words in DJ.  I got all but one in cities and transport, missed two in documentaries, and missed three each in albums and novels, so pop culture did me in that round.

FJ was not an instaget, but almost.

• Like 3
On 3/1/2023 at 2:41 PM, Bastet said:
On 3/1/2023 at 8:16 AM, 30 Helens said:

But occasionally, I do think she tries to build a little suspense. It happens far too often with Daily Doubles for that to be a coincidence.

If building suspense is the reason for delaying a ruling, I do not approve.
If not knowing the answer is the reason, I do not approve.
If developing her own style is the reason, I do not approve.

I was an early advocate of Mayim being a permanent host but every time she delays the ruling, I just want to scream the full version of ffs.
It also bugs me when she laughs and says “come on you guys..” when no one answers correctly. Just because the answer was simple or obvious to you Mayim does not mean the experience of others is identical. There are three outstanding contestants up there and none of them is you. 

My infrequent rant is over. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I went the wrong direction and said Wealth of nations. 

That was my first thought and then my brain clicked on the word "bourgeoisie" and I got it in time.

Other than that...I got out of work so late that I missed the whole first round and part of the second. Might watch later...or might not. We'll see. But I got FJ so yay.

Edit: Just played on the archive...

Missed one each in Birds, Course Descriptions, Random Stuff, and D-Minus; two in US History, and four in Sports (but at least I got baseball…). In DJ I ran Transport and Odd Words, but did pretty badly in the rest. 63% / 53% / 59%. TSes were osprey, baseball, and zeppelin.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I take issue with the word "crucifix" being accepted for "cross." A cross is two linear  pieces (of wood or two lines or two sticks or whatever medium) that intersect. A crucifix is a depiction of a cross with the body of Christ affixed to it. The item that was described in the clue was a cross. 

I didn't think crucifix should have been accepted either but I guess it was close enough for this tournament.

For FJ I said Das Kapital, then asked my son what else Karl Marx wrote.  Normally, he would have had this in an instant but he was suffering from brain freeze so neither of us got FJ. I was pleased enought that I at least had the right author.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I took issue as well, but let it go. Kind of my motto these days...

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

That was my first thought and then my brain clicked on the word "bourgeoisie" and I got it in time.

I should have twigged on that. I don't even remember what I (and my husband) came up with. Once we saw the answer we were smacking ourselves on the head.

It wasn't a great game. I did almost run two categories. I got the triple stumpers of sandpiper, zeppelin, and polo. Polo was the ONLY one I got in that category, which is weird because I know nothing about polo (except it's on horses) and I've at least seen the other sports. (though I do actively ignore golf when it's on...)

I didn't really care for the guy dominating the way he did. The women were in the red so long I felt really sorry for them.

21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I added 100 years to 1883 then subtracted 20, which gave me 1963.  That was close enough to the correct year to give me the right answer.

Even better! I'll have to keep that method in mind.

• Like 2