Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

February 17:

63% / 57% / 61%

Not a great game...Ran three categories in J! (Cook, the Books, Stay Cool, and Word & Wordplus). Completely failed Champion's League (unsurprisingly) and missed three each in the Constitution and Around America. In DJ I ran Actors Playing Playwrights, failed Myths (again, not surprised), and missed two each in the rest.

But I had a lucky guess on FJ, at least.

TSes were Elmore Leonard, Fannie Farmer, TikTok, and Little pitchers have big ears.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I got FJ.  So that's Monday and Friday.

I got he missed clues of Elmore Leonard and Adonis.

I got the entire category of cool right.

not too great first round (but not the worst ever), good DJ and FJ right.  Ended up pretty well, which is odd for this week.

• Like 2

Great game for me tonight - I was snapping out correct answers left and right and finally got my first FJ of the week.

I didn't write down my ts's but I know I got Adonis, Tiktok and Elmore Leonard.

• Applause 3

I had to think about FJ for a couple of seconds, but got it -- I somehow remembered that jaune is yellow.  I had no idea that pierre meant stone, though.

I also got the TS of Elmore Leonard, TikTok, little pitchers have big ears, and Sitka spruce.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had to think about FJ for a couple of seconds, but got it -- I somehow remembered that jaune is yellow.  I had no idea that pierre meant stone, though.

Me too! except I translated Pierre to Peter and while pondering Yellow Peter; Peter Yellow I sudden remembered Peter meant rock! or stone (Upon this rock I will build my church) so I got it in time.

also got Leonard and Little pitchers have big ears (always thought that was a weird one!)

• Like 6

I recently figured that Fannie Farmer had fallen out of fashion when I looked up one of her recipes online to see what people had thought of it. I only got a couple of results. I own the 100th anniversary edition of her cookbook. That edition (the 14th) is from 1996, and it hasn't been updated since.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2

For FJ, I was thinking of a park near Louisiana as the french part got me to French Quarter but then the Jaune seemed like a color so I blurted out Yellowstone! I even did that BEFORE the music ended.I called myself a winner...and then I waved a sad goodbye to Ken as thecredits rolled...Going to  be a long, long six months...but at least we get The Masters tourney!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
49 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I translated Pierre to Peter and while pondering Yellow Peter; Peter Yellow I sudden remembered Peter meant rock! or stone (Upon this rock I will build my church) so I got it in time.

In the 30 Think Music seconds I only instagot jaune = yellow, but with the category of NATIONAL PARKS, Yellowstone seemed like the only possibility.
Afterwards I recalled the biblical reference of Peter = rock.

My only TSs were "Little pitchers have big ears" and TicTok, which help bolster my internet street cred of being both ancient and hip.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I was shocked that Will guessed Rodgers and Hammerstein when they gave you The Mikado right in the clue. It didn't seem worth the risk to take such a wild guess. 

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Excuse me, but in West Side Story, the song "Cool" is performed AFTER Riff is killed. The lead singer, appropriately, is named "Ice."

Riff sang it in the 1957 stage version. Ice gets it in the 1961 movie.

https://www.westsidestory.com/cool

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

I'm surprised no one guessed TikTok.  I know fuck all about social media, but I know that's the one people post videos on, so it seemed a safe guess.  I'm also a little surprised none of them guessed Navajo for an Arizona tribe big enough to be the subject of a national monument.

I ran nations and words and got all but one in America and cookbooks.  I missed two each in the other first round categories; which was annoying in the case of Stay Cool, as I knew both of them - Elmore Leonard and West Side Story - I just couldn't spit them out in time.

In DJ, I only ran memoirs.  I got all but one in actors and little, but I missed two each in the rest -- which, in the case of myth, was a very pleasant surprises (all three correct answers were guesses, but I'll take it).

I got FJ, although I wasn't entirely sure about it (I don't speak French or Minnetaree, so I couldn't translate either term to confirm) -- Yellowstone was the first national park named after a river that came to mind, and nothing else joined it up there, so I stuck with it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm surprised no one guessed TikTok.  I know fuck all about social media, but I know that's the one people post videos on, so it seemed a safe guess. 

I couldn't choose between YouTube and TikTok and was probably leaning YouTube. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

My French is apparently rusty, because I translated Pierre Jaune to “Father Yellow.” (Father = père, of course.) That momentarily confused me, but “yellow” in a national park had to mean Yellowstone, so I guess it didn’t matter who the father was.

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Loved Alex, but Ken is SO much kinder than Alex was.

Yup. Ken knows what it's like. It bugs me when Ken will say to a contestant whose response was wrong, "I know you meant (whatever)...you were so close". He's empathetic. I wonder how few things Ken got wrong during his 74 wins?

• Like 3
20 hours ago, laredhead said:

I enjoy Ken's quick humorous comments when contestants make mistakes like the Faulkner guess.  No put downs, just some fun comment.   

I also like that even when the game is a runaway at the end, he doesn't SAY that. He may say "___________ has a big lead going into FJ" but he doesn't come right out and state no one else has a chance. I mean, we can all see it and I'm sure the other contestants know it, but it feels kinder not to rub it in.

29 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

It bugs me when Ken will say to a contestant whose response was wrong, "I know you meant (whatever)...you were so close". 

It bugs you when Ken says something empathetic like that? I find it endearing. I know it would make ME feel better if I was the contestant who answered incorrectly.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, SHD said:

It bugs you when Ken says something empathetic like that? I find it endearing. I know it would make ME feel better if I was the contestant who answered incorrectly.

It bothers me because it sounds as those he's comforting a sensitive child, not speaking to an adult. Ken is warmer toward the contestants than Alex was, and I like that. But the comments that bother me are just not necessary, IMO.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, SHD said:

I also like that even when the game is a runaway at the end, he doesn't SAY that. He may say "___________ has a big lead going into FJ" but he doesn't come right out and state no one else has a chance. I mean, we can all see it and I'm sure the other contestants know it, but it feels kinder not to rub it in.

I'm the opposite; to me it sounds silly, and mostly like an attempt to create suspense where there isn't any, hoping some viewers don't pay enough attention to do the math.  But since Ken and Mayim both do it differently than Alex did, and that's a really stupid thing to be perpetually annoyed by, I decided a while back to let it go.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

I knew the French immediately, but translated it as "Yellow Rock" and was thinking: "Rock River? Yellow River?" And I was veering off to China before I realized (thankfully in time): "Yellowstone, for godsake!"

I will never, never apply to be on this show. I am too slow, even when I'd otherwise have the info.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, that sure is confusing. I am assuming the list of songs in the sidebar are in their order of appearance... WHY is Riff singing "Cool" then? Does the rumble happen next? "Krupke" seems too lighthearted a song to be after most of the killings.

The Rumble happens at the end of Act I, right after "Tonight."  "I Feel Pretty" opens Act II.  Irony, because Maria is so optimistic, all unknowing that Tony has killed Bernardo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, that sure is confusing. I am assuming the list of songs in the sidebar are in their order of appearance... WHY is Riff singing "Cool" then? Does the rumble happen next? "Krupke" seems too lighthearted a song to be after most of the killings.

That's probably why they moved them around in the movie. I hesitate to say that the choices they make for movie adaptations are always better, but I remember being surprised to learn that in The Sound of Music originally My Favourite Things was a song the Mother Abbess sang with Maria before Maria left the abbey. It's so much better as a song to comfort the children.

I think it was the right choice to namecheck Riff in the clue insofar as even though more people will have seen the 1961 movie than the original stage show, most are also much more likely to recognize the name Riff than Ice. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I think it was the right choice to namecheck Riff in the clue insofar as even though more people will have seen the 1961 movie than the original stage show, most are also much more likely to recognize the name Riff than Ice. 

Indeed-once I saw Riff in the clue, I knew it was West Side Story.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So mayim is back tomorrow?   

Disappointing will miss Ken.  

I'm hoping next season they just give her the specials and Ken the regular games

Tomorrow starts 2 weeks of the High School Reunion Tournament hosted by Mayim. I think there might be another tournament after that.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Tomorrow starts 2 weeks of the High School Reunion Tournament hosted by Mayim. I think there might be another tournament after that.

Not according to an article posted in the media thread -- immediately after that tournament, airing in place of regular episodes, concludes, regular play resumes (with Mayim taking her turn as host). 

(I don't have a single shit to give which one of them hosts, so it changes nothing for me as a viewer.  As a discussion forum participant, sure, there's an effect, but not as a viewer.)

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Tomorrow starts 2 weeks of the High School Reunion Tournament hosted by Mayim

Hate to break it to you...but it's 3 weeks! There will be 9 quarterfinal games (there are 27 players competing) Feb 20-Mar 2, followed by 3 semifinal games, followed by (presumably) two final games. The HSRT lasts from Feb 20-Mar 9. If you want to see the match-ups:  https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2023/high-school-reunion

As far as I can tell, it's not like "former HS tournament players compete 10 years later"---it's more like at most 5 (all the players are in college now).

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2
8 minutes ago, illdoc said:

As far as I can tell, it's not like "former HS tournament players compete 10 years later"---it's more like at most 5 (all the players are in college now).

That's quite disappointing -- I liked the concept of bringing back former Teen Tournament contestants as adults to see how they'd do now, but this is instead something very specific:  four seasons ago J! had "so many excellent teen contestants" it hosted two Teen Tournaments and now, producers have decided to stage a "first-of-its kind twist on the traditional College Championship format" in which those 27 contestants, now current undergraduates or recent college graduates, will compete again.

Nowhere near as interesting as what I'd thought.  Oh, well; still better than the original Teen Tournaments and maybe better than the usual College Championships since this isn't their first rodeo -- we'll see. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I liked the concept of bringing back former Teen Tournament contestants as adults to see how they'd do now,

I'd definitely be more into that than seeing kids we just saw no more than a few years ago as college students (even if I almost certainly won't remember them either way).

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, illdoc said:

The HSRT lasts from Feb 20-Mar 9. If you want to see the match-ups:  https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2023/high-school-reunion

That web page doesn't have much info.
I wonder how they were selected?
Is this all of the winning former HS tourney winners, or...???
I assume at least some are no longer interested in doing this, especially for reasons of stress in family situations, health, etc., or maybe they have a gig overseas.

Hopefully whoever appears will not embarrass themselves more than they can handle. That's all that really matters IMO.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Starting to feel like tournament overload...

Yeah… I wish they would just do them in primetime, and that way I could watch or not, depending on how much interest I have. But when they interrupt the regular schedule, that means I have to watch or forego my daily Jeopardy fix.

Tournaments*= Mayim, only in primetime
Regular play= Ken, year round

Seems like an easy fix to keep things consistent, keep the majority Ken contingent happy, and still keep Mayim in play. I don’t know why this hasn’t  been adopted. (Unless Ken doesn’t want year-round.)

*except TOC. That should stay with Ken.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That web page doesn't have much info.
I wonder how they were selected?
Is this all of the winning former HS tourney winners, or...???

No, they're contestants from the 2018-19 season when they did two teen tournaments because they had so many contestants to choose from.  If you click on the Then and Now section of that linked website, you'll see it explained:

Four seasons ago, Jeopardy! had so many excellent teen contestants that the show hosted two Teen Tournaments. Now, those bright young minds are older, wiser, and ready to return to the stage for a first-of-its kind twist on the traditional College Championship format. 27 former teen contestants, now current undergraduates or recent college graduates, will reunite to face off in a 14-day special event with a $100,000 grand prize and a spot in the Tournament of Champions on the line.

The Jeopardy! High School Reunion Tournament airs Feb. 20 to March 9.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Am I understanding that Ken wont be hosting daytime for SIX months??  

With the exception of the Masters Tournament, yes. From what's been reported, Ken won't be back regularly until the next season begins in September. 😒

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 6
26 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

With the exception of the Masters Tournament, yes. From what's been reported, Ken won't be back regularly until the next season begins in September. 😒

That's not what I had understood. I am not sure of the Masters dates but I thought Ken was confirmed hosting regular play from March 10.

• Useful 1
32 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

That is terrible, terrible news.  I cannot watch Mayim.  I’ll find Ken in the Masters Tournament and then back in September.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

That's not what I had understood. I am not sure of the Masters dates but I thought Ken was confirmed hosting regular play from March 10.

I SO hope I am wrong and this is true!

• Like 4

Be sure to watch the end of the Mar 9 episode---When they announce "tomorrow {so-and-so} will face X and Y", they will also announce the host (if it is changing). That will be the "Ken is back" confirmation (whether Mar 10 or a different date).

• Like 1