Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If you've never seen either movie, it's not so easy.  One of those IEIYKI clues.

Agree. I had no idea, I said POW bracelets knowing it was wrong, but I didn't really know where they started either.

I did get encompassing, intestate (from all the mysteries I read) and across the board (even though I didn't think it was right)

• Like 4

I'm a little surprised no one came up with encompassing or across the board.  And intestate is apparently not as well known a term as I thought it was; I thought that was one of those legal terms that was somewhat mainstream given how common it is in this country.

I ran decades and 3T and got all but one in class and ACC, but I missed three each in stamps and landmarks (two of those I knew, I just couldn't move them from my brain to my mouth fast enough), so it was a bit of a rough first round for me.

In DJ, I ran ideas, all, and love, and only missed two in crafts, but I missed three each in conquers and TV.

FJ was an instaget, but only because they included San Diego.  I'm not sure I'd have reasoned it out had it just said "naval base", but San Diego naval base = Miramar* = Top Gun.

*Yes, I know it's a Marine base now, but I always have to remind myself of that if I hear "Miramar" as my primary association is still ingrained as Navy because that's what it was when I grew up, visiting relatives in San Diego.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If you've never seen either movie, it's not so easy.  

And even if you have. I saw the first Top Gun, but that was what, 30 years ago? I have very little recollection of it, and I had zero idea for FJ. 

Sorry to see Kendra’s time cut short because I liked her, but at least Guy on the End didn’t win. He was a little too “on” for my tastes and was annoying me.

It felt like they were screwing with me a little bit, with that Crafts category. (Even a clue about découpage!) But it would have tickled me no end if they’d thrown in a clue about Apollo 11.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And even if you have. I saw the first Top Gun, but that was what, 30 years ago? I have very little recollection of it, and I had zero idea for FJ. 

Original came out May 1986...I was 10 at the time. Not the kind of thing I was going to the theater to see at that age. It's one of those movies I've seen bits and pieces of (same with Silence of the Lambs) but I don't think I've ever sat down to watch all the way through.

4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Sorry to see Kendra’s time cut short because I liked her, but at least Guy on the End didn’t win. He was a little too “on” for my tastes and was annoying me.

Same. If they hadn't introduced him as a comedian, I would have guessed he was an actor or something related. I liked Kendra, too.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Navy Seals.  I didn't think it was right, but you gotta say something.

That's what my husband said.

15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Easy final jeopardy .....it's in the first movie.  

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Im surprised so many people havent seen at least the original top gun.  

I saw it when it first came out. Don't remember much about it (except that the band Berlin were upset that their song was used for a pro-military movie). In any case, since it was a movie - I didn't even know/remember that Top Gun was real (which is what I said when the answer was revealed - "It's a real thing?")

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Same. If they hadn't introduced him as a comedian, I would have guessed he was an actor or something related. I liked Kendra, too.

Well, he did act (if only as a dead body), so you'd be right - being a comedian doesn't exclude being an actor. I liked him, and was a little disappointed he didn't win.

This was a less than mediocre game for me. Maybe I have long Covid...yeah, that's it! 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

For FJ I never got off the ground (pun intended). All I could think of was something to address the high number of ground troops lost in Vietnam.

Yes, to me, 1969 = Viet Nam. 1st husband was stationed in San Diego in 1972 or thereabouts, for Naval training, so I lived in SD for a few months. He wasn't associated with fighter jets at all, so Top Gun didn't occur to me. I did see both movies.

I knew someone in high school, late 1960's, whose brother became a Seal, so if Seal had occurred to me, I (like to think I) would have remembered they predated 1969.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Navy Seals.  I didn't hink it was right, but you gotta say something.

I said that at first, but then realized it had to be aviation-related and changed to Top Gun.  Which I didn't think was correct, to be honest.

I did okay last night.  Ran Landmarks, On A Stamp, I Have An Idea, Love and Conquers.  Got all but 1 clue in The Class Menagerie, Serving T For 3 and TV Party Tonight.  My stumpers were the moon, Inverted Jenny, intestate and Lisbon.

I did far worse in ACC School History than I expected.  Clemson was the only school of the five that was in the ACC back when I watched Maryland basketball.  Hell, Maryland isn't even in it anymore.  I knew Syracuse because of the color orange and Pitt because of Pennsylvania.  Had no idea about Boston College or Miami.

I also blew two of the clues in Decade of No. 1 Hits.  I said the 2000s instead of the 90s and 2010s instead of the 2000s.  Oh well.

19 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Easy final jeopardy .....it's in the first movie.  

Of course, if, like me, you never saw the movie . . .

19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I had those stamps and never knew you could change the sun to the moon like that.

Who said Jeopardy wasn't educational? 😉

17 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Im surprised so many people havent seen at least the original top gun.  

By the time it came out, I would rather have had sharp sticks jabbed into my eyes than watch a Tom Cruise movie.  And I had previously liked him.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 1

55% / 53% / 53%

Let's just move on, shall we?

I did get the TSes of D (total guess; I suck at Roman Numerals), Mogul, Stephanie Meyer, and Alabama.

I found myself rooting for Brad. I liked him. Oh, well.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5

I wouldn't have gotten it anyway but I really didn't even understand the question.  I was like is that basketball, or are they going for some other sport that uses a net?  Do they want a team, a person, an organization>?  I was clueless.

I got the missed clues of D, H, Tangled, Stephanie Meyer, Mcllelan, Alabama, and Oslo (mostly because it was the first capital I could think of with same first and last letter.

I got the entire categories of Disney and military right.  What an odd combo.  So-so first round, good DJ, epic fail on Final.

• Like 5
Just now, Katy M said:

I wouldn't have gotten it anyway but I really didn't even understand the question.  I was like is that basketball, or are they going for some other sport that uses a net?  Do they want a team, a person, an organization>?  I was clueless.

Same here. Not that I was particularly hopeful with a generic "sports" category to begin with..

• Like 7

I had an exceptionally bad night tonight.  I also couldn't figure out what exactly the FJ clue wanted -- team?  organization?  individual?  If team, NBA? College?  Not that I would have come up with the correct response even if I knew!  Although, once revealed, it made perfect sense.

As for TS, I only managed to get Tangled, Swami, Alabama, and Oslo. 

• Like 7

The champ with his “uhhhh” before choosing each and every answer became too much for me to bear.   He’s earned his wins though so I’ll give him that.   Between him and knowing She Who Shan’t Be Named hosting on Monday, I will watch tomorrow with dread.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Oslo (mostly because it was the first capital I could think of with same first and last letter.

I said "Ankara."  I am completely gobsmacked that I got McClellan.  As far as FJ goes, last week I was 4/5; this week, so far, I'm nothing but a goose egg.

• Like 2
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

As far as FJ goes, last week I was 4/5; this week, so far, I'm nothing but a goose egg.

I got Monday's and that's it.  Hoping for a good category tomorrow.  And by good category I mean superduper easy question. Like This 3 letter animal purrs and is rumored to have 9 lives.  It begins with C ends with  T and has a vowel in the midle.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got Monday's and that's it.  Hoping for a good category tomorrow.  And by good category I mean superduper easy question. Like This 3 letter animal purrs and is rumored to have 9 lives.  It begins with C ends with  T and has a vowel in the midle.

cot?

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

also couldn't figure out what exactly the FJ clue wanted -- team?  organization?  individual?  If team, NBA? College?  Not that I would have come up with the correct response even if I knew!  Although, once revealed, it made perfect sense.

I am still struggling because in the ordinary way of things a team cannot unilaterally declare a new scoring mechanism, right? I know the Harlem Globetrotters (although I have not thought of them since Meadowlark Lemon) so I am not that confused about why the response makes sense but there appears to be no way of figuring it out unless you know it already.

• Like 4

Good grief, another Women Authors category.  Will it ever stop?!  Brad's "I hope I don't go viral" gave me a laugh when Ken reminded him of the category after his Faulkner answer.

I ran cars and ways and got all but one in after C, force, and ancient wonders (that one was a pleasant surprise).  My worst category in the first round was celebrity relatives in which I missed a whopping two, so I was off to a good start.

But I didn't run anything in DJ.  I got all but one in "plain", but missed three in ranks and two each in the rest.  In the cases of military men and Disney movies, only missing two was a pleasant surprise.  In authors, that's typical, but it was a bummer in geography. 

FJ took me a few beats, because first I indignantly thought, "What?  No league did that!" and then realized, okay, not a league, who plays basketball outside a -- oh, the Harlem Globetrotters.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Good grief, another Women Authors category.  Will it ever stop?!  Brad's "I hope I don't go viral" gave me a laugh when Ken reminded him of the category after his Faulkner answer.

And J! promptly posted it on their facebook page. 😄

image.png.9f19e6d638aea3e6821810050cf12790.png

• LOL 10

Strongly disliked Ken's tie today. 

The Faulkner moment was great fun, mostly because of Brad's being such a good sport in his response about going viral, and then again when he clearly had no idea about FJ, so he put the name of a female celebrity from a non-sports profession as his answer. A callback self-snark! 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Good grief, another Women Authors category.  Will it ever stop?! 

I thought of you, @Bastet, when I saw WOMEN AUTHORS, and then briefly considered that MILITARY MEN might have mollified you, but was pretty sure it wouldn’t, if for no other reason than the gender stereotyping of that category
——which was probably selected in part to have parallel gendered words in the categories. 
I mean, for instance, it would have to be MALE DANCERS instead of MEN DANCERS.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also couldn't figure out what exactly the FJ clue wanted -- team?  organization?  individual?  If team, NBA? College?

Me either. And sports is a category I’d go all in on (I eventually went with the NBA G League, which I never watch, so I figured maybe they had a 4 point shot I didn’t know about)

Edited by opus
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought of you, @Bastet, when I saw WOMEN AUTHORS, and then briefly considered that MILITARY MEN might have mollified you

No, because these infernal "Women [Profession]" categories have two fundamental problems that aren't alleviated by the occasional appearance of any other categories:  1) The sexist assumption the professions - authors, leaders, scientists, etc. - are practiced by men by default, so female members are an aberration relegated to their own category rather than just regularly integrated into the [profession] categories that don't specify gender (note "Men [Profession]" categories are quite rare) and 2) The appalling grammar.  Woman is a noun.  Female can be a noun or an adjective.  "Female Authors" would still have the first problem, but not the second.  (Note it was "Military Men" not "Men Military Officers"; they only do this double-error shit with women.)  "Women [Profession]" is incorrect on every level, regardless of what else they put on the board.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

It was actually the use of “they” that got me to the answer. I would expect the clue to ask for “this team” or “this league” if the answer was one of those. “They” struck me as strange wording, so I started thinking of other kinds of groups and guessed Harlem Globetrotters. Although to be honest, I was not at all confident because I didn’t know if they were still a thing.

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(note "Men [Profession]" categories are quite rare) 

Exactly. If not for this part, I wouldn’t have a problem with categories like Women Authors. Subset categories like 70s Movies or New England States are quite common and help to narrow it down, so why not Women Authors? Because there is never, ever a “Male Authors” category, that’s why. “African-American Authors” bothers me for the same reason. 

Authors. Just “Authors”, Jeopardy writers. We’re smart; we’ll figure it out.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

so why not Women Authors?

Because woman is a noun, unlike female which can be a noun or an adjective.

So Female [Profession] categories would still raise the issue of positioning men as the default practitioners of that profession, since Male [Same Profession] categories generally do not exist on this show (as compared to other identifiers, like American [profession], 19th Century [profession], etc.), which is just plain pathetic in 2023.

But at least they'd be grammatically correct instead of this ongoing dreck that has been pointed out for years yet persists, on top of the sexism.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because woman in a noun, unlike female which can be a noun or an adjective.

Depends on who you ask.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/comma-queen/female-trouble-the-debate-over-woman-as-an-adjective

Using “woman” as an adjective does not bother me. I’m not a grammar purist; I’m on the side of those who see language as an evolving thing. I also find the word “female”, in typical usage, to be somewhat dismissive. 

But in this case, I think grammar is beside the point. I was focusing on your point about the sexist/ racist inclusion of any type of adjective, which I agree Jeopardy writers should be above.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, opus said:

Me either. And sports is a category I’d go all in on (I eventually went with the NBA G League, which I never watch, so I figured maybe they had a 4 point shot I didn’t know about)

I would think the Globetrotter's are more 'entertainment' than 'sports', they play exhibition games not real ones, right? I don't think I would have come up with them anyway but it just seemed a poor fit to me.

(is anyone else having problems highlighting the things they want to quote?)

Monday at 09:08 AM

On 2/11/2023 at 5:34 PM, 30 Helens said:

Yeah, “feather” is a stretch. I’ve seen paisley described as looking like teardrops, which is more accurate. (

On 2/10/2023 at 11:22 PM, Quickbeam said:

I don’t see paisley as feather shaped. So harumph to that wording.

It bears some resemblance to the curve of peacock feathers, imo.

Bad quote selection sorry: If you look at any of the 'adult coloring books' that include birds/peacocks the shapes are very much like the peacock feathers there.

For the below quote: I didn't not like the tie I just think it didn't go well with his suit, I think it would've looked fine with a darker suit and shirt.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Strongly disliked Ken's tie today

Edited by dgpolo
to add
22 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I do sometimes but then I usually find that a cat has decided to stretch out a paw & dragged it across some unknown combination on my keyboard.

• Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 6
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Well, the one guy still named a male author even though the category had been specific - LOL. I liked his "I hope I don't go viral" response. 

5 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Was rooting for Brad. Easy on the eyes, and a sense of humor.  Oh, why can't we have nice things?

But overall, I've found almost all the contestants this week quite pleasant with no quirks that bothered me. I would've been OK with almost any of them returning.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, SHD said:

Well, the one guy still named a male author even though the category had been specific - LOL. I liked his "I hope I don't go viral" response. 

But overall, I've found almost all the contestants this week quite pleasant with no quirks that bothered me. I would've been OK with almost any of them returning.

Yes...for a change, we've had all "regular" contestants this week. I wonder why? 🧐

• Like 3

Last night was not a good game for me.  I didn't get FJ; it's been years since I've seen the Harlem Globetrotters.

I only ran one category (An Ancient Wonder Of The World) and got all but 1 clue in only six other categories (Cars By The Number, Celebrity Relatives, All Ways, Women Authors, Ranks & Titles and "Plain" & "Simple").  I did get 5 stumpers: George McClellan, Alabama, Oslo, Stephanie Meyer and mogul.  I'll confess to saying Anne Rice first but then going "No, that's not right" before getting Meyer.  And I had no idea James Gandolfini's son's name was Michael so obviously I wouldn't have had a follow-up for the BMS.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I was like is that basketball,

I knew it had to be basketball, but I was only familiar with the 3-point shot and was like "Did the NBA add that?".  Which obviously not.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don't care about Jeopardy using "Women Authors" and never will.  Although, yes, "Female Authors" would be more grammatically correct, I believe.  Personally I like having it narrowed down.  That goes for most categories, to be honest.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because woman in a noun, unlike female which can be a noun or an adjective.

This is my only objection to the category.  Because I AM Stannis Baratheon, Grammar Nazi.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I knew it had to be basketball, but I was only familiar with the 3-point shot and was like "Did the NBA add that?".  Which obviously not.

My guess was WNBA. Also obviously not. LOL

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had an exceptionally bad night tonight.  I also couldn't figure out what exactly the FJ clue wanted -- team?  organization?  individual?  If team, NBA? College?  Not that I would have come up with the correct response even if I knew!  Although, once revealed, it made perfect sense.

I was flummoxed, but it did make perfect sense once they showed it.

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I said "Ankara."  I am completely gobsmacked that I got McClellan.  As far as FJ goes, last week I was 4/5; this week, so far, I'm nothing but a goose egg.

Goose egg so far too. Friday's FJ will be a tense one.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

The Faulkner moment was great fun, mostly because of Brad's being such a good sport in his response about going viral, and then again when he clearly had no idea about FJ, so he put the name of a female celebrity from a non-sports profession as his answer. A callback self-snark!

I liked Brad and was sorry to see him go.

12 hours ago, Scott said:

We’re still getting Yakov Smirnoff jokes in 2023??

I still laughed. So, I guess they're still good.

3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Depends on who you ask.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/comma-queen/female-trouble-the-debate-over-woman-as-an-adjective

Using “woman” as an adjective does not bother me. I’m not a grammar purist; I’m on the side of those who see language as an evolving thing. I also find the word “female”, in typical usage, to be somewhat dismissive. 

But in this case, I think grammar is beside the point. I was focusing on your point about the sexist/ racist inclusion of any type of adjective, which I agree Jeopardy writers should be above.

Each dictionary site I looked up said the same. I don't really care one way or another about using Women Authors, I understand the issue and agree with the arguments, but it's (to me) a minor sin in that spectrum.

2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I don't bother highlighting, I choose the plus icon, which quotes the whole post (and you can choose it as many times as you want to quote other posts), and then delete everything but the bits to which I want to respond.

I ran Military Men, but didn't do particularly well overall. No FJ.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Yes, for months. I can select a single word, but if I try to drag the bars to extend the highlighted section, the page goes crazy and starts scrolling up (or down) and I end up with half the page highlighted. I can’t control it.

Like Clanstarling, I have to quote the entire post and then backspace to get just the part I want. I find it annoying and time consuming, but it’s the only thing that works for me. 

Is this what you meant, @dgpolo? I always figured it was an issue with my iPad, but now I’m curious to see if it happens to others as well.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 1
Just now, 30 Helens said:

Is this what you meant, @dgpolo? I always figured it was an issue with my iPad, but now I’m curious to see if it happens to others as well.

Haven't noticed any excess scrolling but if I click at the beginning of a section to highlight, everything in the post gets highlighted. I have to go to the -end- of the section I want and work backwards, and I have to be very careful when I get to the beginning word, if I'm not careful it will highlight everything before the section i want. I have to slowly include the first letter of the first word I want. Only then does the little 'quote selection' option pop up and I can click it to get my quote. Yes, time consuming and irritating. And I think I will copy some of this post and take it to the 'bugs' forum.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

I had high hopes for Brad (whose name I thought was Fred).   I yelled at him when he guessed Faulkner, although I said “the lady author who wrote the book whose movie had the actress from The Haunting.  Carson McCuller?”

• Like 2
4 hours ago, laredhead said:

I enjoy Ken's quick humorous comments when contestants make mistakes like the Faulkner guess.  No put downs, just some fun comment.   

According to comments on facebook, Ken is just the meanest and Alex would never do such a thing.

Me: "Uhhh, have you ever watched Jeopardy before?"

• Like 8
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 12