Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Re. Matthew’s hair: I wondered what was the point of dyeing your hair while keeping a gray beard. I thought his hair was obviously died because it looked too consistently the same shade of brown. I could be wrong, though. And I guess it would very difficult to dye a beard.

The late Mr. HissyFit had naturally black hair into his 60s, but when he grew a beard it was gray. He finally shaved it off because he grew tired of being asked why he didn't dye his beard too.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yay - I started rooting for Mira pretty early on, so I'm glad she won.  And, on a shallow note, I liked the cut of her blouse; I'd prefer it in a bold color, but even in black I was drawn to it and spent the interview segment pondering how I'd accessorize it.

I finished work early today, so I watched this game in the bedroom while playing with my cat rather than sitting at my desk, meaning I didn't keep track of specifics.  I know I had only a so-so first round, as I missed a couple in South America (when I'm usually good with geography), was utterly terrible in fast food (which I don't eat with the exception of a Super Star w/ cheese from Carl's Jr. once every couple of years, but usually pick up more of via cultural osmosis), and I think only ran ordinal.

I was decent in DJ.  I know I ran eponyms and American history, and was utter shit in the world money category (I usually do pretty well, but most of those countries were not in my wheelhouse).  I missed one or two in the rest.

FJ was an instaget.

• Like 3

Finally snapped my losing streak with an instaget FJ. (Although, like Prevailing Wind, my first out-loud answer was Equus. Just to be stupid.)

I also got All’s right with the world, Pete Holmes, and Derringer. So it was a decent day for me.

Ken would like you to know that the correct pronunciation is Lor-EN, dammit! 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I, too, thought immediately of Peter Pan and wondered how the hell Pygmalion or Mother Courage would use a harness.  Of course, my "Hollywood Squares" joke answer was "Equus."  LOL

Pygmalion I’ll admit wasn’t a good guess, but since Mother Courage pulls   a cart, it’s not the worst answer.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What a good game and 3 nice contestants. FJ was too easy, IMO. I knew a stage contraption for flying meant Peter Pan.

I also got it, but to be absolutely fair, the clue didn't say anything about flying.  Just "harness," which doesn't necessarily indicate flight.

Many people forget that Peter Pan debuted in a play; the novel version came a few years later.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Finally snapped my losing streak with an instaget FJ.

Peter Pan was my first FJ since Capricorn, Monday, January 23.
It was an instaget, but I tried to second guess myself with "didn't some character fly in Midsummer Night's Dream?" because it seemed too easy.
Fortunately for me, enough FJs are "easy," with the wagering being more crucial. 
At least I can do MATHLER in my head. 🤷🏻‍♀️

My other instagets that were nobody-gots were the DDs of:

• "All's right with the world" (we had to memorize the poem in the 1960s)
  • Hermetic ("hermetically sealed" used to be a common figure of speech, especially on Johnny Carson, as @SHD references below👇)

and the TS of Schweitzer (a hero when I was growing up).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I knew Hermetic because Johnny Carson's character Carnac used to say that the questions he was about to answer were "hermetically sealed". So "Ha!" to everyone who thought I wasted my youth watching The Tonight Show!

• Like 3
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

I did okay but not great last night.

I ran South American Geography, Music For Sharks, "World" and Oscar-Winning Women.  I got all but 1 clue in Life Lines, Eponyms, American History and You're On The World Money.  I got the stumpers dead to the world, Derringer and Albert Schweitzer.

I was confused when Scott's answer was deemed incorrect in the James Watt Eponyms clue; I didn't realize until checking the archive that he'd said Isaac Watt instead.  I just said Watt and then wondered if I had to have the first name as well.

I was amused by a game where I needed to identify both the last line of the song from Browning's Pippa Passes and items on the Taco Bell menu.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

TSes were dead to the world, Pete Holmes, and voltaic cell.

I saw the picture of Pete Holmes and said "It's that guy from that bowling show which got cancelled" - don't 'spose they'd have accepted it as correct.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was such an instaget for me, I was sure I was wrong.  I am shocked that two of the contestants missed it.

That was my reaction as well.  Actress in flying role = Peter Pan to me.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Congrats to Mira, but oh, the vocal fry.

I liked Mira and didn't notice anything wrong with her voice but then I'm one of those rare people who never hear vocal fry even after people try to explain/demonstrate it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I liked the cut of her blouse; I'd prefer it in a bold color, but even in black I was drawn to it and spent the interview segment pondering how I'd accessorize it.

I loved her blouse as well.

7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I did okay but not great last night.

I ran South American Geography, Music For Sharks, "World" and Oscar-Winning Women.  I got all but 1 clue in Life Lines, Eponyms, American History and You're On The World Money.  I got the stumpers dead to the world, Derringer and Albert Schweitzer.

I was confused when Scott's answer was deemed incorrect in the James Watt Eponyms clue; I didn't realize until checking the archive that he'd said Isaac Watt instead.  I just said Watt and then wondered if I had to have the first name as well.

I was amused by a game where I needed to identify both the last line of the song from Browning's Pippa Passes and items on the Taco Bell menu.

I saw the picture of Pete Holmes and said "It's that guy from that bowling show which got cancelled" - don't 'spose they'd have accepted it as correct.

That was my reaction as well.  Actress in flying role = Peter Pan to me.

I liked Mira and didn't notice anything wrong with her voice but then I'm one of those rare people who never hear vocal fry even after people try to explain/demonstrate it.

Forgot to include "All's right with the world" in my stumper list.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think he would have been fine with just the last name; his mistake was adding an incorrect first name. It's always safest to just give a last name unless the clue demands otherwise. (I can't think of anyone else named Watt that could cause confusion, and even if there is they've been fairly lax with the BMS lately. They have accepted Manning for a football player when there are three possibilities, and more recently Sutherland for an actor when there are two.)

• Like 7
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

TSes were dead to the world, Pete Holmes, and voltaic cell.

I have trouble remembering Pete Holmes' name because he's a dead ringer for a friend of ours - so of course I said our friend's name.

16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What a good game and 3 nice contestants. FJ was too easy, IMO. I knew a stage contraption for flying meant Peter Pan.

I did dither a little, since I wasn't sure when Peter Pan came out, thinking it might have been Puck instead. But I stuck to it.

7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Pygmalion I’ll admit wasn’t a good guess, but since Mother Courage pulls   a cart, it’s not the worst answer.

Thank you, I had no idea what Mother Courage was, so that explains the answer.

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I also got it, but to be absolutely fair, the clue didn't say anything about flying.  Just "harness," which doesn't necessarily indicate flight.

Many people forget that Peter Pan debuted in a play; the novel version came a few years later.

I didn't forget - I just didn't know. But thank you, I did struggle with whether the theater performance was too early for the book.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Peter Pan was my first FJ since Capricorn, Monday, January 23.
It was an instaget, but I tried to second guess myself with "didn't some character fly in Midsummer Night's Dream?" because it seemed too easy.

After I said Peter Pan (an instaget), I did wonder about Puck in MND.

Decent game, though I didn't run anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I have trouble remembering Pete Holmes' name because he's a dead ringer for a friend of ours - so of course I said our friend's name.

I blanked on his name for a few seconds but it came to me just in time.

• Like 1

I'm having a good time playing the J archives since I usually need just a bit more time with some clues. Now I've got all the time in the world. It makes me appreciate these brave souls who get up on stage to play Jeopardy & immediately know the answers to so many varied clues. When I do get the correct response to some arcane clues, I do "The Jake"...a yee haw arm move, & making that pop sound 🤩.  I know most folks didn't like him, but I miss the scamp.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My response was "That guy from the HBO show 'Crashing' that no one but me watched!" Also, not acceptable, I imagine. 

And I feel bad because I really did like that HBO show but I could not come up with a name.

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, SHD said:

My response was "That guy from the HBO show 'Crashing' that no one but me watched!" Also, not acceptable, I imagine.

We watched it. Although we didn't think of the name of the show, it's how we knew him. So you're not alone. 😊

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, SHD said:

I knew Hermetic because Johnny Carson's character Carnac used to say that the questions he was about to answer were "hermetically sealed". So "Ha!" to everyone who thought I wasted my youth watching The Tonight Show!

And Carnac always said the answer first and then said the question afterwards.  Much like Jeopardy. 😁

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Ugh, a mention of the Great White version of Once Bitten Twice Shy always makes me stabby. For those unaware that it's a remake, here's the original by Ian Hunter, who wrote it. And don't even bring up how neither he nor Mott the Hoople is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. A travesty.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, DXD526 said:

Ugh, a mention of the Great White version of Once Bitten Twice Shy always makes me stabby. For those unaware that it's a remake, here's the original by Ian Hunter, who wrote it. And don't even bring up how neither he nor Mott the Hoople is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. A travesty.

LOL - When I first read/heard the clue before it was answered, I thought "How is Mott the Hoople shark-related!?" (Shame on me for not realizing it was actually Ian Hunter solo.)

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

February 10:

53% / 60% / 56%

J!: Blah ending to the week. Only ran one category, Double Z words. Missed one each in Ocean Life, Poets' Rhyme Time, and Endless; two in Don't Fall In, Books, and Fashionable Etymology; three in Supreme Court Justices, Hotels and Miami Vice; and four in Super Bowl Heroes and Western Europe. Didn't get FJ, either. My only TS was Terry Bradshaw.

Aww, I was rooting for Myles.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I very confidently said Kaiser.  

i got the missed clues of Terry Bradshaw, Tennyson's Benisons (?), total guess because it was the only thing that rhymed that sounded like benifice, or bennediction), and Miles Davis.

I got the entire categories of double z and endless right.

• Like 1
Just now, rubaco said:

Photos of Terry Bradshaw when he was a player and Pat Benatar... and we get blank stares from the contestants. Oy, I feel old.

I didn't get Pat Benatar, but I knew I knew who she was and when he revealed the answer, I was like oh yeah.  Like the one contestant I said Joan Jett because the "Heart" threw me there.  At least I knew she wasn't Ann or Nancy Wilson.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't get Pat Benatar, but I knew I knew who she was and when he revealed the answer, I was like oh yeah.  Like the one contestant I said Joan Jett because the "Heart" threw me there.  At least I knew she wasn't Ann or Nancy Wilson.

Gulp. I thought it was Ann Wilson (and wondered if she'd had some work done). This was a very interesting game, with Myles & Libby suddenly catching up. I was pulling for Myles. They obviously didn't hear me yelling, "San Francisco!" To be honest, the only reason I knew was because I passed by this unique hotel  while visiting SF years ago. Love that city!

• Like 1

I knew when I saw the FJ category that I would not get it, and sure enough, I missed.  I also said Chancellor, even though I knew it was so very wrong.

But at least I did get Terry Bradshaw and Pat Benatar -- my only TS.  It made me sad that none of the contestants knew Pat Benatar.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Apparently we are sharing a brain tonight, because I did the same thing on that one, too.

6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Why was "eternal" wrong? Isn't that a viable translation, as good as "everlasting"? 

The clue specified the King James version.

6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Did Mira say she won a baby contest in 1965? She's 57 or 58 years old??

She said 1995.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I am a little verklempt that Libby Hsu won't come back, partly because of her gutsy "true daily double" DD wager, but mostly because I floved her style, especially her dress, described by Lilly on Twitter as:
"...her bright red hair coordinates with the print & the red belt! Love the sheer sleeves & the blocking of the print..." (twitter.com/OneEclecticMom/status/1624216231698890752?s=20&t=Ptsh3woZbMyWas3Yj_nxrg).

image.png.112ca03cece2d0796cd8661086cdf837.png

• Like 10
  • Love 1

The name of this feather-shaped pattern comes from the Scottish town where it was made = Paisley

I did not know this, I vaguely thought Paisley was Turkish. But I watched a new Death in Paradise this evening and a suspect was from Paisley in Scotland. Too bad I watched Jeopardy before DiP.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

No one recognizing Pat Benatar was a bummer.  Terry Bradshaw, too, but especially her.

Identifying the infinity symbol should have been a $200 clue.  In a teen tournament.  It had no place in DJ.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I had no idea on the James Fenimore Cooper clue.

In DJ, however, I didn't run a single category.  I got all but one in the very fun rhyme time category (they had me at Milton's Hiltons); I joined the contestants in being stumped by what the hell rhymed with Tennyson (I don't believe I've ever heard benison prior to tonight [neither has the site's spellcheck]).  I also got all but one in endless - like Mira, I guessed eternal for the Bible verse clue - and Europe (I couldn't pull Hanseatic League out of my brain to save my life).  I missed three in Miami Vice and two each in the others.

I had no guess for FJ.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, SHD said:

My response was "That guy from the HBO show 'Crashing' that no one but me watched!" 

I watched it! (And liked it.)

6 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Ugh, a mention of the Great White version of Once Bitten Twice Shy always makes me stabby. For those unaware that it's a remake, here's the original by Ian Hunter, who wrote it. 

Thank you. I don’t even know the Great White version, but I’m sure it sucks.

3 hours ago, rubaco said:

Photos of Terry Bradshaw when he was a player and Pat Benatar... and we get blank stares from the contestants. Oy, I feel old.

I knew Pat Benatar instantly (oh, those 80s headbands!) but I’m not surprised they didn’t. For whatever reason, she faded pretty quickly after the 80s were over. I never see her name mentioned anymore. Terry Bradshaw, on the other hand… he looks pretty much the same then as now, so that TS surprised me.

All I could think of for FJ was Kaiser. And thus ends my 1-day winning streak.

I was really pulling for Libby and her bright fuscia hair. I once rocked a similar color, so I’m partial to the quirky-haired ladies. Also, I liked her gutsy wager.

Myles looked too much like Johnny Depp for me, so I could not root for him.

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I knew Pat Benatar instantly (oh, those 80s headbands!) but I’m not surprised they didn’t. For whatever reason, she faded pretty quickly after the 80s were over. I never see her name mentioned anymore.

She was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame last year, and the ceremony aired less than a month before this episode was taped, so I thought that might do it for someone. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I am a little verklempt that Libby Hsu won't come back, partly because of her gutsy "true daily double" DD wager, but mostly because I floved her style, especially her dress, described by Lilly on Twitter as:
"...her bright red hair coordinates with the print & the red belt! Love the sheer sleeves & the blocking of the print..." (twitter.com/OneEclecticMom/status/1624216231698890752?s=20&t=Ptsh3woZbMyWas3Yj_nxrg).

wow.  i'm glad you posted this picture.  my old eyes were seeing her as having strange tattooed arms that kept distracting me. that was a bold move on her part.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I knew FJ! but I couldn’t pull it from my brain.  I knew it was a position having to do with religion (and Turkey, which is not true but I guess I was thinking of Ottoman Empire).  I flubbed Terry Bradshaw saying Fran Tarkington instead.  And hermetic, yes from the Great Carnak.  Kept in a hermetically sealed number 10 mayonnaise jar on the front porch of Funk and Wagnalls’s since noon today.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I really loved her style too; I'm glad it was well appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew it was Scottish, but you could've knocked me over with the feather (shape) that I absolutely do NOT see in the pattern.

Yeah, that one threw me completely. I don't see feathers either.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I knew Pat Benatar instantly (oh, those 80s headbands!) but I’m not surprised they didn’t. For whatever reason, she faded pretty quickly after the 80s were over. I never see her name mentioned anymore.

I thought she was better than the other two guesses - Pat has been touring for years with her husband, and I often see stories of her in the paper/news. I think she just released, or will be releasing, an autobiography.

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I knew FJ! but I couldn’t pull it from my brain.  I knew it was a position having to do with religion (and Turkey, which is not true but I guess I was thinking of Ottoman Empire).  I flubbed Terry Bradshaw saying Fran Tarkington instead.

I have finally cemented "Holy Roman Emperor" in my mind. It was (though this is not quite as cemented) a union of a number of German(ish) duchies (?)

I would have gotten Terry if my husband hadn't gotten there first. Back in the day I had a huge crush on Fran Tarkington, so I knew it wasn't him. We watched a  show called "Better Late Than Never" where he, William Shatner, George Foreman, and Henry Winkler traveled together around the world. Along with Jeff Dye, who I'm still not all that familiar with.  It was hilarious, and occasionally very touching.

It wasn't a great game for me, but at least I got FJ, much to my surprise.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

I like the current champ, but don't know how much more I can take of that vocal fry. It's not like gestures or facial expressions, in which case I can just look away

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • Like 5
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I only hear that vocal fry occasionally. Who started this vocal fry nonsense? Do they think they sound cool? Mira is a Harvard grad, the daughter of an Oregon state senator. 

And on a more superficial level she is a very good looking girl so what's not to like.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I love Mira and don't notice a vocal fry.  I only notice vocal fry in the most severe forms. 

I noticed it; it doesn't bother me too much but I knew people would complain. (For some reason I keep torturing myself by looking at comments on Facebook. Though I will say I was pleasantly surprised that the nice comments outweighed the mean ones when I looked.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2

I always pick up on a vocal fry, but it doesn't usually bother me, certainly not to the point of distraction, and Mira doesn't bother me. Hers is not excessive, as fry's go.

A whole category dedicated to Miami Vice! That was a surprise. I was expecting the title to be a play on words of some sort, and it would have nothing to do with the TV show, but nope. All about the TV show! I did well, unlike the contestants. Must be before their time 😁

• Like 5
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I love Mira and don't notice a vocal fry.  I only notice vocal fry in the most severe forms. 

Same here, I guess, because I didn’t notice it at all. But now I’m sure I’ll be listening for it, because I like to torture myself that way.

17 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I don’t see paisley as feather shaped. So harumph to that wording.

Yeah, “feather” is a stretch. I’ve seen paisley described as looking like teardrops, which is more accurate. (I would also accept seahorses.)

• Like 5
On 2/11/2023 at 6:34 PM, 30 Helens said:

Yeah, “feather” is a stretch. I’ve seen paisley described as looking like teardrops, which is more accurate. (

On 2/11/2023 at 12:22 AM, Quickbeam said:

I don’t see paisley as feather shaped. So harumph to that wording.

It bears some resemblance to the curve of peacock feathers, imo.

I did okay last night.  Ran Don't Fall In!, 5-Letter Double Z Words and An Endless Category.  Got all but 1 clue in All Kinds Of Books, Ocean Life, Poets' Rhyme Time, Fashionable Etymology, Western Europe and The Miami Vice Squad.  I knew Liam Neeson would be a clue in that last one once I realized what the category was about; that's one of the very few episodes of Miami Vice I've actually seen.

My stumpers were Pat Benatar, clutter (that one really surprised me) Terry Bradshaw and Miles Davis.

FJ seemed really easy.  "Elector" just screamed "chose the Holy Roman Emperor" to me.  Guess it's a case of "if you know it, it's easy".

On 2/10/2023 at 8:00 PM, rubaco said:

Me, too.

On 2/11/2023 at 11:25 AM, Clanstarling said:

We watched a  show called "Better Late Than Never" where he, William Shatner, George Foreman, and Henry Winkler traveled together around the world. Along with Jeff Dye, who I'm still not all that familiar with.  It was hilarious, and occasionally very touching.

That show was fantastic.  I learned a lot of unexpected things about all four men.  Including Terry Bradshaw's willingness to get naked at the drop of a hat and George Foreman's love of ABBA.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

February 13:

87% / 63% / 75%

Another great start….followed by a not so great second round. Ran Logos and TV Catchphrases and missed one each in everything else. In DJ I ran Also a Measurement, failed Lawyer Billboards completely, missed three Airports and one each in the rest.

My TSes were angiosperms and Mr. Tambourine Man, and FJ was a near-instaget.

• Like 4