Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I have a confession to make: I couldn't actually remember what a dipthong is. 

The writers apparently anticipated that, and included the definition in the first clue.  But, of course, the contestants didn't start at the top.

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It depends on whether or not you think Alex's "accents" were hints.  In some cases, they absolutely were, even if badly done.

I can remember at least one case where Alex actually did an impersonation when the point of the clue was to identify the speaker of a particular quote.  Absolutely gave it away, far worse than Ken noting an author whose name was already mentioned in the clue.

• Like 3

February 8:

80% / 41% / 61%

J!: Pretty good first round…ran Squirrels, Ends with Same 2 Consonants, and Acts of Congress. Missed one Baseball Term, two Missouri Show Biz People, and three in "C" Shore.

DJ: Pretty bad second round…ran nothing, missed two in Henry VI and Dedication, four in I before E, and three in the rest.

Did not get FJ.

TS were Williamsburg (DD), balk, District of Columbia, Milne (DD, and a wild guess), and Palmolive (I remember the commercials!).

I liked Dan; glad he won. As much as I enjoyed the accent, I was ready for a new champ.

• Like 1

Yay! So glad Dan won. So I had never, ever heard of Stolen Valor until this morning when I read a story on the Not Always Right site, but because I read it, I got that clue right!

I got balk and alienists and I was happy I got Mah Jongg though it wasn't a TS

• Like 3

I got FJ.

I got he missed clues of Williamsburg, tommy Boy, Hancock and AA Milne.

I ott the the entire categories of Squirrels and C shore right and entire category of ie wrong.

So, I didn't get alienist, but I just read that term a couple of days ago. It was from the 1890s and it said something about an alienist at the asylum, and I just though they were talking about a crazy person who believed in UFOs or something.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
10 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Did he say for Palmolive 'you're soaking it in?'  It's 'you're soaking in it'

I caught that, too.  I remember those Palmolive commercials and the shocked customers of Madge the manicurist.

Edited by HissyFit
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

I got FJ, although I was hesitant and unsure -- I thought I might have heard of a city named that, but wasn't sure if it was in Germany or somewhere else, or if I just made it up in my head.  Good to know it's a real place.  

Of course I got Williamsburg, having lived there (and I still visit regularly), and I also got balk, A.A. Milne, and John Hancock.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was quite confused when Matthew referred to the category as Henry VIII -- I had been paying just enough attention to know that Margaret of Anjou in a previous clue was not one of his wives and he was later than 1450. 

As soon as I saw the category I thought someone would make that mistake. The category was a riff on the old song I'm Henry the VIII I am.... by Herman's Hermits. He just misspoke.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Yay! So glad Dan won. So I had never, ever heard of Stolen Valor until this morning when I read a story on the Not Always Right site, but because I read it, I got that clue right!

I was watching a video earlier that was talking about nuclear threat levels and mentioned Dr. Strangelove, so I got that one.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

The D.C. TS surprised me.

As soon as the Henry VI category title was read, that damn Henry VIII song got stuck in my head (thanks to Patrick Swayze in Ghost) and I couldn't get rid of it until the clues started being read.

Since they never put up the text, just the picture of the building, I don't know if the writers screwed up and wrote "You're soaking it in" rather than "You're soaking in it" or if it was correct on the card and Ken said it wrong, but whoever was at fault, that error may very well be why no one came up with Palmolive.  Dan only wound up with a lock game by $400, and that clue was worth $800.  There are a lot of "if"s here, but IF the clue had been correct and IF Matthew had recognized the phrase from American commercials (did those air elsewhere?) in order to identify the product, and IF he'd been able to ring in first and get those 800 dollars, had everything else after that happened the same as it did, that would have changed things heading into FJ.  So it's unfortunate that error happened.

I ran "C", baseball, and squirrels and got all but one in the other three, so after a very rough game last night I had a good first round tonight.

But in DJ, I didn't run anything.  I did get all but one in corporate structures and comedies (Tommy Boy stumped me as much as it did the contestants), but other than that I was pretty meh.  I missed two each in the vocabulary category (disappointing) and Henry VI (a very pleasant surprise), and three each in art and dedications.

FJ was an instaget, as I've been there; as soon as I read "alphabetically the first German city" I didn't even need the rest of the clue to get it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

FJ was an instaget, as I've been there; as soon as I read "alphabetically the first German city" I didn't even need the rest of the clue to get it.

On the opposite end of the alphabet, it's like a clue asking the band last alphabetically, which would be ZZ Top. 

43 minutes ago, Bastet said:

As soon as the Henry VI category title was read, that damn Henry VIII song got stuck in my head (thanks to Patrick Swayze in Ghost) and I couldn't get rid of it until the clues started being read.

It was in my head too. Second verse, same as the first! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Since they never put up the text, just the picture of the building, I don't know if the writers screwed up and wrote "You're soaking it in" rather than "You're soaking in it" or if it was correct on the card and Ken said it wrong, but whoever was at fault, that error may very well be why no one came up with Palmolive. 

I don’t think anyone screwed up, at least not the way you mean. The clue read, “A Chicago building is named for this product, and to play on an old commercial, you’re soaking it in.” (Bolding mine.) It took a few readings before I realized the writers were not misquoting, but rather attempting clever wordplay. I can’t say they were successful, because none of the contestants got it.  I don’t think even Ken did. I was just baffled.

My FJ streak continues! 0/8!! This is so exciting…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I was surprised that Matthew didn't know AA Milne. I wouldn't have expected him to know John Hancock and Willamsburg, Alex used to give clues away when he used an accent while reading the clue. American Greed has done shows about Stolen Valor so it was an instaget,

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dgpolo said:

category was a riff on the old song I'm Henry the VIII I am.... by Herman's Hermits.

The song originally goes back to the music hall days (1910) but Herman's Hermits did have a big hit with it in the sixties which is probably the modern cultural touchstone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t think anyone screwed up, at least not the way you mean. The clue read, “A Chicago building is named for this product, and to play on an old commercial, you’re soaking it in.” (Bolding mine.) It took a few readings before I realized the writers were not misquoting, but rather attempting clever wordplay. I can’t say they were successful, because none of the contestants got it.  I don’t think even Ken did. I was just baffled.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it meant we were looking at it, as in 'soaking in the view' or something like that. Clearly didn't work very well as wordplay, though I did get it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I was surprised that Matthew didn't know AA Milne.

4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Can't believe Matthew missed AA Milne 

He missed Dorian Grey from his idol Oscar Wilde!  It didn't shock me at all.  I like the new champ.  I won't be missing Matthew's dark hair and grey beard.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I can remember at least one case where Alex actually did an impersonation when the point of the clue was to identify the speaker of a particular quote.  Absolutely gave it away, far worse than Ken noting an author whose name was already mentioned in the clue.

Though I do remember some of Alex's attempts didn't actually help...

14 hours ago, dgpolo said:

As soon as I saw the category I thought someone would make that mistake. The category was a riff on the old song I'm Henry the VIII I am.... by Herman's Hermits. He just misspoke.

I had to re-read the title, because of Henry VIII, sadly, the song did not come to mind. I'm surprisingly glad to be reminded of it.

11 hours ago, DrScottie said:

On the opposite end of the alphabet, it's like a clue asking the band last alphabetically, which would be ZZ Top.

Thank you, so when they come up with that category I'll be sure to get it (though I think I would have gotten it anyway).

I did get Aachen, having lived in Germany. But I wasn't absolutely sure it was the first alphabetically.

8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I was surprised that Matthew didn't know AA Milne.

My husband is a great fan of AA Milne, and didn't get it.

Though I love English accents of all sorts, for some reason Matthew's didn't wow me at all. Not sure why. It sounded off to me for some reason, but that's on me, not on Matthew. I didn't dislike him, but I also won't miss him.

I did finally get FJ with Aachen - I'm relieved I won't be at zero for the contest.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Though I love English accents of all sorts, for some reason Matthew's didn't wow me at all. Not sure why. It sounded off to me for some reason, but that's on me, not on Matthew. I didn't dislike him, but I also won't miss him.

What was off is that there wasn't a real Brit behind that spiffy accent. He was born in NYC and grew up in Oregon. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
On 2/8/2023 at 11:41 AM, MerBearHou said:

I will be skipping the Mayim shows.  She is unwatchable for me.  Too robotic.

13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'll watch them but I definitely won't enjoy them as much.

I'll be watching and hoping for the best while expecting the worst——my mantra, which my former mindfulness therapist did not approve of, heh.

But, seriously, around this point Mayim has probably had as much Jeopardy! cultural experience at Ken did when he started hosting, albeit minus the experience as a player. 
IDK. 
Alex was never a Jeopardy! player. He had experience hosting other shows.

I'm going to trust that at some point equivalent to the game show event horizon, Mayim will either get good at it, or realize that's not her thing.

3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I won't be missing Matthew's dark hair and grey beard.

And I thought I was the only one who was bugged by that.

• Like 8
19 hours ago, dgpolo said:

So I had never, ever heard of Stolen Valor until this morning when I read a story on the Not Always Right site, but because I read it, I got that clue right!

I had heard of it but probably wouldn't have remembered except it was mentioned in an episode of NCIS: New Orleans I watched over the weekend.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Not from the same source, but I also got it stuck in my head.

19 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Did he say for Palmolive 'you're soaking it in?'  It's 'you're soaking in it'

The clue said "you're soaking it in" - a play on the commercial.  Ken's comment included the line from the actual commercial.

Overall I did okay last night.  I got FJ through the city's connection with Charlemagne (he was crowned emperor there) although it wasn't an instaget.

I ran Show Me, "C" Shore, Squirrels, Baseball Term and Dedication.  Got all but one in Consonants, Henry VI (couldn't come up with Normandy in time, got stuck trying to remember Calais) and Comedy Time.  Didn't known Tommy Boy because I hate both David Spade and Chris Farley.

I got the stumpers Williamsburg, balk, Palmolive, Offenbach and A.A. Milne.  Matthew missing the last one really surprised me.  It seemed obvious since the little boy in the Winnie the Pooh stories was named for Milne's son, so not knowing that the author had written a mystery story didn't affect my answer.

I didn't realize until I checked the archive that they hadn't cleared the DJ board.

I said "the ninth symphony" for the Dvorak clue because that is what it is, his Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, "From the New World".  If they had tried to rule that incorrect, the judges would've had a fight on their hands.

I cannot believe I did not get alienist, having read The Alienist and watched both seasons of the tv show where the term is defined.

7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I agree. I remember those commercials and would have gotten it, I think,  had Ken read it correctly. 

Ken did read the clue correctly.  Blame the writers, not Ken.

I won't be missing Matthew's dark hair and grey beard.

I'm assuming you think the dark hair is dyed?  Probably, but for years the beard my father grew every winter came in gray despite him having very dark hair.  It was kinda weird but I know he wasn't dyeing anything.

Edited by proserpina65
Edited because while Henry VI isn't Henry VIII, neither is he Henry IV.
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t think anyone screwed up, at least not the way you mean. The clue read, “A Chicago building is named for this product, and to play on an old commercial, you’re soaking it in.” (Bolding mine.) It took a few readings before I realized the writers were not misquoting, but rather attempting clever wordplay.

Ah, that would make sense.  It obviously didn't help any of them, but it makes sense.

I got it anyway; maybe just from hearing "soaking"?  The only one I didn't know in that category was the SF building named for a software company; never heard of it, or the guy who runs it, and know very few software companies, so I didn't even have a guess for that one.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What was off is that there wasn't a real Brit behind that spiffy accent. He was born in NYC and grew up in Oregon. 

I believe although he was born in NY he was brought up from a young age in Wales until he was at least 10. Not sure whether he lived in England between age 10 and Oxford.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I cannot believe I did not get alienist, having read The Alienist and watched both seasons of the tv show where the term is defined.

I'm assuming you think the dark hair is dyed?  Probably, but for years the beard my father grew every winter came in gray despite him having very dark hair.  It was kinda weird but I know he wasn't dyeing anything.

I knew alienist from the book, too! I read it many years ago and don’t think I’ve heard the term since.

Re. Matthew’s hair: I wondered what was the point of dyeing your hair while keeping a gray beard. I thought his hair was obviously died because it looked too consistently the same shade of brown. I could be wrong, though. And I guess it would very difficult to dye a beard.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

And I guess it would very difficult to dye a beard.

Just For Men has dye for beards.  Don't see the point of it myself, but then I don't see the point of dyeing one's hair and not dyeing one's beard as well.

My dad's hair had auburn highlights; I envied those.  Not so much the one white spot where he'd hit his head on a car dashboard as a kid.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I said "the ninth symphony" for the Dvorak clue because that is what it is, his Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, "From the New World".  If they had tried to rule that incorrect, the judges would've had a fight on their hands.

I said that, too.  I always play the third movement after I've set up my stereo (I take it apart to move the shelves for my "thorough cleaning" chore).  The way the 3rd starts, with the music moving from violins, to violas, to cellos, finally to the basses makes it great for assuring I've got the right & left speakers plugged in correctly. Besides, it's a great piece of music.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I said that, too.  I always play the third movement after I've set up my stereo (I take it apart to move the shelves for my "thorough cleaning" chore).  The way the 3rd starts, with the music moving from violins, to violas, to cellos, finally to the basses makes it great for assuring I've got the right & left speakers plugged in correctly. Besides, it's a great piece of music.

That symphony is probably my favorite piece of classical music.  I first heard the English horn solo at the beginning of the 2nd movement in a college music class and fell in love with it.  And the way that finale rolls through the house when I crank it up is magnificent.

I'm probably going to listen to it when I get home now.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1

February 9:

77% / 67% / 72%

Not too bad in the first round…Ran Music for Sharks and Life Lines, missed one Fast Food Menu and two each in the rest. Second round was meh…missed one each in four categories - American History, Oscar-Winning Women, Chemistry, and World Money; missed two in Autobiographies and four in Eponyms.

FJ was an instaget.

TSes were dead to the world, Pete Holmes, and voltaic cell.

• Like 1

FJ was such an instaget for me, I was sure I was wrong.  I am shocked that two of the contestants missed it.

I also got the missed clues of Domino's, hermetic, Derringer, and voltaic.

Congrats to Mira, but oh, the vocal fry.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Kinda seemed like nobody wanted to get that last daily double?  In hindsight returning champ could have put it away, but I guess I can understand his caution. 

And Peter Pan was the only remotely reasonable guess I could come up with!

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

FJ was too easy, IMO. I knew a stage contraption for flying meant Peter Pan.

I did figure it out, but the word “harness” threw me off for a moment. I kept trying to think of plays from the early 1900’s with a horse character!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
On 2/8/2023 at 8:59 PM, possibilities said:

I enjoyed the squirrel category. 

Me too.  I cackled aloud when the catagory was revealed, because SQUIRRELS!!   It’s a funny word, and now I know the origin.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2