Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 10/28/2022 at 9:48 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I didn't recognize Sabena and had no idea Magritte was Belgian. My wild and deranged guess was Chagall.

I knew Sabena was Belgian,  but didn't know that Magritte was too. Couldn't think of a specifically Belgian artist to save my life

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Whenever I hear the name Sabena Airlines, I think of the entire US figure skating team (+ coaches) perishing in a crash on their way to Worlds, 1961. Back then there wasn't all the media coverage we have today so it didn't get a lot of coverage. I didn't remember it until someone at a skating forum mentioned it a while back.

• Sad 6
5 hours ago, PaulaO said:

My mind automatically says “Alex Trebek” after the pause after “and now the host of Jeopardy!”  Not weird at all.  For how many years did you we hear Johnny Gilbert say Alex’s name?

Do you have favorite past contestants?  Mine are Alex Jacobs, Austin, and Buzzy.  Also Julia Collins.

I liked Austin, Julia, and Buzzy, and there was an odd duck whose name I forget who grew on me until I liked him. I am not good remembering the names of contestants in general. Of last years crop there was Matt, Amy, and Mattea. And maybe some whose  names I forgot.

I won't be rooting for anyone in particular. I'll just enjoy the ride and forget about doing well in the FJ contest.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

(In today's troubling times, I think Lord of the Flies should be required reading in middle school, and for anyone age 13 and up who hasn't read it!)

I totally agree. Unfortunately, it's on the Banned Books list 😒

But I wish they'd go to the one with Mattea, so I could amuse myself with all the online frothing.

Then again, if they went to the one with Matt and won, and Amy and Mattea both won their semi-final games, we'd have Amy, Mattea, and Rowan in the finals.  Imagine all the folks who wouldn't know how to distribute their vitriol among those three.  The only way that could get better would be if Mayim was hosting.

LOL! I couldn't have put it better 😃😄😁

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

53% / 57% / 56%

Man, this is starting out brutal. In J! I missed one Hobby and Ear to Fraternity, two Streets, three Films and Best, and four Historic Job Interviews. In DJ I missed one each in Television, This Category is Confusing, and Heavenly Bodies, four in Five Chances, and three in the others.

FJ was an Instaget...I feel like this game was really hard but FJ was easy…

My TSes were Frederick Douglass, frappé, nonplused, Diet, and the missed DDs of photosphere and Knesset.

Darn, I was rooting for Ryan; Megan was my second choice.

• Like 4

FJ was an instaget.  So much so that I figured it couldn't possibly be right in a TOC.

I got the missed clues of Gorbachev, frappe, Diet, cinquefoil and Bundestag.

I didn't run any categories, but I didn't get any all wrong either.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Instaget FJ for me, too.  Seemed awfully easy for a TOC!  And I got the TS of Samoyed, Wild Bill Hickok (as a guess), Gorbachev, cinquefoil, and photosphere (also a guess).

Man, what happened to Ryan?  I was rooting for him, too.

• Like 3

I had no clue for FJ but as soon as it was revealed I thought of “course!” I never knew that location was a creek so I was trying to think of famous rivers. 

Man I was hoping Ryan would do much better than that! I was surprised they all missed all of the Parliament ones, I thought some of them were so easy (Knesset, Diet.)

21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good article in the Post. I think you have to have a subscription to get this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/10/31/ken-jennings-jeopardy-host-interview/

Beat me to it! People might be able to read a single article - I have a subscription so it isn't a problem for me, but WaPo may be like some other online news, they might allow a single article.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We get the print subscription to WaPo. I couldn't get over how long the article was. My husband hadn't heard the "hoe" story before. 😄

One of the funnier moments in Jeopardy (I, for one, think there's a case to be made for it to have been accepted) 😄

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

One of the funnier moments in Jeopardy (I, for one, think there's a case to be made for it to have been accepted) 😄

I don’t know why it wasn’t! I mean, it does fit both sides of the clue… Maybe because the non-garden tool version is spelled without an “e”?

Now I’m just imagining the 10-minute taping break while the production team debated the various meanings of “hoe”. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Whoever mentioned J6...thanks! I just started yesterday (& of course messed up almost half of it due to my habit of not paying close attention). Today, I did better. I keep it on mute because someone like me doesn't need *any* distractions 🤩.

• Like 1
On 10/28/2022 at 8:00 PM, annzeepark914 said:

But who the heck ever heard of this artist?

I have.  Rene Magritte was a relatively famous surrealist.  Not my cuppa, but I've seen a lot of his work in places where non-famous artists' work would not be referenced.  His most well-know work is probably the one of a pipe with the subtitle "This is not a pipe" in French.

image.png.7995a1fd19cf8c820ecb59a724efafa5.png

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I realized something while watching the TOC, I rooted for a specific contestant to win but in the regular games if a certain contestant gets a certain answer right, I find myself pulling for them. Sort of like "I'm glad they knew that right away so I can root for them". I'm wondering if I'm the only one that does that.

• Like 3

80% / 50% / 65%

J!: I feel smart again! Ran Health & Medicine, and Who Lives in…, missed three in Soccer and one in everything else.

DJ: Okay, now I don't feel so smart…ran nothing. Missed one in Stories of the South and Vocabulary Words, two Buildings, three Political Parties, and four in Quite a Year and Batman Villains.

FJ was an instaget. 

TS: The Hague (DD; there were no actual TSes in the first round), slave uprising, 1776

• Applause 3

I was trying to decide between West Side Story and Fiddler, so of course I chose Fiddler.

I got the missed clues of slave uprising and 1967.

I go the entire category of soccer wrong and the entire category of southern stories right.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I gave in and turned it on as DJ was starting. Got the slave uprising and 1967 ts's. Just could not think of the musical, & chose Fiddler--oy!  I was spoiled by the fun of TOC, so regular Jeopardy felt dull (didn't help having Cris mechanically getting just about everything right).

• Like 1

Watching a regular game for the first time in a week, I felt like it was Celebrity Jeopardy quality. After a week of not knowing pretty much any answer, tonight I could answer nearly all of the clues, including FJ. Funny I don't feel smarter, I'm just a bit depressed Jeopardy seems to have let down for the common folk. I hope they step it up tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Watching a regular game for the first time in a week, I felt like it was Celebrity Jeopardy quality. After a week of not knowing pretty much any answer, tonight I could answer nearly all of the clues, including FJ. 

There were definitely some easier questions but I think maybe you have a high intellect if you did that well! Categories like the one where you have to give a specific year are always stumpers for me.

Me for FJ: “Uhm, was the show Bridget Loves Bernie based on a long running musical?” LOL

I liked Ken’s Bane impersonation. And also how he mentioned that the FJ incorrect guesses would have, indeed, had conflict for the situation given! 

Edited by SHD
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I was trying to decide between West Side Story and Fiddler, so of course I chose Fiddler.

The first thing that came to my mind was Spring Awakening (which I have never seen and know relatively little about) but I continued thinking and made it to West Side Story.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I instagot the TS of 1967 (in 1967 I was 14).
Sam would've gotten it.

Between the announcement of the FJ category (MUSICAL THEATER) and the reading of the clue, I spent the commercial listing all the musicals I could recall because I'm terrible with names and titles these days.
Turns out I know a lot more than I thought I did. 
I had pre-guessed The Lion King (saw them in full costume on Colbert's show recently) when the clue went up. 
*Sigh* 
I guess Jersey Boys is never going to be a FJ.
All that thinking of titles of musicals that were not the correct response just clogged up my poor old brain until I could only think "Sharks vs. Jets."
West Side Story was not going to come to me in 30 seconds.
I wish I'd turned off the TV to time myself to see how long it took the title to come to me.

But, hey. Today my daughter sent me an urgent request for an academic article for a work presentation, and I found it in 30 seconds even though I've been retired for 3 years.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4

FJ:  Did anyone else say Abie's Irish Rose?  I've never seen it but maybe there is a musical version.  TJF mentions that the original "East Side Story" was too similar to Abie's Irish Rose.

11 hours ago, SHD said:

Me for FJ: “Uhm, was the show Bridget Loves Bernie based on a long running musical?” LOL

But, wasn't that the other way round (wasn't the guy Jewish and the girl Catholic)?

• Applause 1
5 minutes ago, illdoc said:

But, wasn't that the other way round (wasn't the guy Jewish and the girl Catholic)?

Yes! That's why I thought when it said "originally" it was the other way around that Bridget Loves Bernie might've been the result of the change! It all made sense in my mind - LOL.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The first thing that came to my mind was Spring Awakening (which I have never seen and know relatively little about) but I continued thinking and made it to West Side Story.

First thing for me was The Fantasticks just because I've been Pavlov trained (or Jeopardy trained) that long running Broadway show = Fantasticks, I don't know anything about the play itself and figured it probably didn't have anything to do with Catholic/Jewish but WSS never came to me at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

First thing for me was The Fantasticks just because I've been Pavlov trained (or Jeopardy trained) that long running Broadway show = Fantasticks, I don't know anything about the play itself and figured it probably didn't have anything to do with Catholic/Jewish but WSS never came to me at all.

I forgot about The Fantasticks (which I have seen but has been entirely overlaid in my brain by Pyramus and Thisbe) but rejected Phantom of the Opera even though long-running triggered that response for me. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I go the entire category of soccer wrong

As a hardcore soccer fan, I fully expected to run that category.  Then they had a clue needing the name of a female player, and since I find women's soccer to be the equivalent of watching paint dry, I was screwed.  Did get the other four, though.  Still love that video with "Hitler" ranting about vuvuzelas.

FJ seemed way to easy to me.

Yeah, compared to the TOC, this seemed easier.  I only got two stumpers, The Hague and coy, but I ran 4 categories (Health & Medicine, Rhyming Phrases, Under the "C" and, to my great surprise, RSVP To My Political Party) and got all but one clue in most of the others.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

@shapeshifter... ditto to lots of your post, including the reference to '67. I knew we had something in common!

Bah humbug is my reaction to the TOC ending and ... thump... back to reality. I really like Cris, want to put an H in his name every time I write it, respect his depth/breadth of knowledge & recollect, and also wish he'd turn his enthusiasm thermostat up just a tad. Not TOO much (to irritate us). Gawdforbid that we have a too-enthusiastic contestant! LOL

I don't keep track of what I get right/wrong/almost; however, I felt really 'schmart' during the regular show after being put to my knees (some of the TOC answers). Ran a few categories and now Mr B thinks I should "get on that show!" Ha ha ha. Not in this lifetime. I'd be the female/she version of Sam (in my dreams) in lots of ways (hair colour, funny stories) except when I got it wrong, they'd have to bleep my F**K! on a fairly constant basis.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had pre-guessed The Lion King (saw them in full costume on Colbert's show recently) when the clue went up. 

I saw that, too. It was amazing! And from that video Youtube led me to their NPR Tiny Desk Concert.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

As a hardcore soccer fan, I fully expected to run that category.  Then they had a clue needing the name of a female player, and since I find women's soccer to be the equivalent of watching paint dry, I was screwed.  

I don't follow soccer (or any sports); there are two female players I would be able to name from a picture (Rapinoe and Hamm). There might be another one or two who, if you gave me their name, I could maybe tell you they are a soccer player. I know a handful of men's names but other than David Beckham I could probably not ID them from a picture. The only ones I got in that category were penalty kick and vuvuzela, which you don't necessarily need to follow the sport to get.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Yes, that is correct.

Then they got married in real life and he abused her and they divorced.

FJ was an instaget for me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

When I saw the FJ category, I thought oh man, every poster is going to get this correct, everyone here is a Broadway musical fan. I answered easily, so am somewhat boggled that so few others did. I guess I live in Seinfeld's Bizarro World.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3