Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also said Mexico for FJ, even though I was pretty sure it was wrong.  Then I started wondering what they meant by "our" hemisphere.  Northern?  Western?  And I got seriously confused, so I gave up.

I just assumed Western for some reason, but I wasn't sure what other countries have "states" besides Mexico and the US.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I also said Mexico for FJ, even though I was pretty sure it was wrong.  Then I started wondering what they meant by "our" hemisphere.  Northern?  Western?  And I got seriously confused, so I gave up.

Me too! I spent almost the entire time (as well as the time between revealing the category and the clue) trying to decide if they meant Northern or Western hemisphere. I had no guess because I was so focused on that.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

Tuesday's episode is repeating today instead of today's actual episode.

I thought so, too, but after looking at YouTube and the archives, it appears that some of us saw the Nov. 30 episode on the 29th and 30th. 

It's a good thing Cris is still winning. I'd have been freaked out to see him lose yesterday, then show up as returning champ today. I was already worried about why I couldn't remember some of the questions discussed on this forum Tuesday evening. It's because I watched a different game!I

Edited to add: I had decided I must have dozed off during the game. Surely I would have remembered "Mike Pence with a perm."

Edited by HissyFit
Mike Pence made me do it.
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Tonight's was the first episode I've had a chance to watch since the ToC ended, and having that time off made it easier to adjust to regular episodes again.

I wasn't as off my game as I'd been in the ToC, but I wasn't fully back in the groove.  I only ran elements in the first round, but got all but one in everything else other than movies, in which I missed two.

In DJ, I ran fightin' words and quotes, and missed three in giants, and two each in the rest.

I got FJ, but I'm not sure I'd have had time to write it down had I been under game conditions -- I could see the globe flag in my head the whole time, and knew it was a South American country, but it took me most of the music to remember which one.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

I thought so, too, but after looking at YouTube and the archives, it appears that some of us saw the Nov. 30 episode on the 29th and 30th. 

It's a good thing Cris is still winning. I'd have been freaked out to see him lose yesterday, then show up as returning champ today. I was already worried about why I couldn't remember some of the questions discussed on this forum Tuesday evening. It's because I watched a different game!I

Edited to add: I had decided I must have dozed off during the game. Surely I would have remembered "Mike Pence with a perm."

I'm glad it wasn't just me who had the episode issue. I wasn't paying full attention yesterday although I had paid enough attention to tell I was watching I the same episode after the the movie question Ken asked to Cris with Spaceballs being the answer. That's one of my favorite movies too and one of a few I've never minded watching more than once with Coming to America being another.

I looked at the Jeopardy! YouTube channel, saw Cris and the other two I didn't recognize on the preview image for Tuesday's highlights . I hope this episode mixup didn't happen where either of the other two live.  If it did at least there's YT. I definitely would have remembered that red sweater Cris wore apparently wore on Tuesday too. Is it ok to say that I think he's cute, seems like a really nice guy and that prepping with his gf seems to have gone pretty well considering how much he's amassed with how many days he's been on.

I don't remember that Mike Pence comment from either day the same episode was on...😄

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of "greek to me" and John Hancock.

Me too! Which allowed me to shout “I’m smarter than Cris!” (To be fair, I shout that fairly often. My husband’s name is Chris. 😉)

I also had to shout after the second wrong guess of “mea culpa”: “Why does everyone think that’s three words?!”  A very shouty game for me tonight.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

He’d fit right in with the Brady Bunch boys!5360EBA7-9BAA-49CF-9B0F-D6E72EE9C61A.thumb.jpeg.e349bc3269667ac78bf941bdad80cb5b.jpeg

He went from that to looking like a full size version of Cotton Hill a character on King of the Hill.

Edited by Jaded
  • LOL 7
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And the only TS I got was John Hancock, a guess based solely on the size of the text in the clue.

I got the hemisphere right, for some reason. My reaction was "oh great! Freaking Flags AND South American or Central America - I'll never get it."

Then I got it by somewhat faulty logic "which country is big enough to have 26 states." So I was shocked when it turned out to be right. Kind of like how I got Brown the other day.

Had a pretty good game. Didn't run anything, but got good results in most categories (except Elementary - elements are not my friends).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
13 hours ago, HissyFit said:

That photo will haunt my nightmares, lol.

I briefly considered Brazil for FJ, then somehow moved on to vacillating between Canada and Mexico.  I clearly didn't read the clue or its title very well because neither of those countries have stars on their damned flags.  How I could possibly have even thought of Canada, which has a giant maple leaf on its flag, is beyond me.  At least the Mexican flag could've had some stars somewhere, I guess.

I didn't do as well last night as I have earlier in the week.  Only ran 2 categories: Time For Some Food & You Can Quote "Me".  Only had 3 others where I only missed one clue: Movie Title Fun, Foreign Words & Phrases and Colorful Song Title.  Did get behaviorism, John Hancock (the extra large letters gave it away) and Greek to me.

• Like 4

Cris has reminded me of someone since his very first appearance, and still does, but I've never figured out who (none of the posted suggestions have been it).  Maybe it's someone I know rather than a celebrity he's reminding me of, but whoever it is just will not come to me.  I'll probably figure it out on his last episode.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Cris has reminded me of someone since his very first appearance, and still does, but I've never figured out who (none of the posted suggestions have been it). 

I'm seeing Daniel Maslany especially in his role as Detective Watts on Murdoch Mysteries.

• Useful 1
Spoiler

I almost cried when no one knew Gene Kelly, hands down my favorite actor and IMO the best dancer ever!!! And Crosby, Stills and Nash’s Suite:Judy Blue Eyes was blasting out of the campus radio station when I was moving in my freshman year …….. how old am I

😂

Edited by Athena
added spoiler tag
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6

Packerbrewerbadger I assume you are from Wisconsin. Yes, those TS made me cry, although Fred Astaire is the best dancer.

Edited by PaulaO
Please ignore
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

73% / 47% / 61%

Kit! I laughed out loud.

Didn't run anything in the first round but I missed only one in Olivia Newton John, Nicknames, Literature, and Dollars to Donuts, and two in Geography and 1,2,&3. In DJ I missed one Sauce, two Museums, four Kings, and three in everything else. My only TS was Ra.

FJ was an instaget (because I am one.)

I, too, dislike olives. I won't try 'em at a party, though.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5

FJ was an instaget.  I thought it was pretty much a gimme even if that one contestant did get it wrong.  What was with the second place wager?  It didn't end up making a difference, but if you have slightly over half, you bet to get above the other person.  Not, super close to the other person.

I got the missed clues of Ra, legion and 'tis.

I ot the entire categories of lit doctors, museums, demons and role in common right.  

Oddly I only got one right in kings.  That's usually agood category for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Instaget FJ for me tonight, even though I am not one.  

These people made me cry, too, not knowing Gene Kelly and Crosby, Stills, and Nash!  I got those TS of course, along with shouldn't've, and 'Tis.  I can watch Gene Kelly in "An American In Paris" all day, especially the dream sequence when he's in those tight white pants.  *Ahem.*

I laughed out loud at the Kit Carson shout-out!  

And I am also sad that Jeri did not represent my alma mater very well.  I'll have to look for her the next time I go to Homecoming.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Love 9
45 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Packerbrewerbadger I assume you are from Wisconsin. Yes, those TS made me cry, although Fred Astaire is the best dancer.

Donald O'Connor is the best dancer.

35 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

73% / 47% / 61%

Kit! I laughed out loud.

Me, too - so loudly, Stella actually jumped off my lap. She was SO startled,

5 minutes ago, Driad said:

Their little sister is named Sherry.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I took a break from football to watch, but not the interviews, so I guess that's where olives came up?  I love them.  My grandpa used to harvest, brine, and sometimes stuff with all sorts of good things olives from a neighbor's tree when I was a kid, and I got hooked for life.

Like probably everyone here, I laughed at the Kit clue.

And groaned when Gene Kelly was a TS.

I'd put money on Tom, Dick, & Harry not being a TS if they hadn't jumped right to it; once you fully understand the category, even just coming up with one of the three people could get you there (e.g. if you knew civil rights activist Gregory = Dick, you'd know it had to be Someone, Dick, and Someone, and that gives you a good shot at the light bulb going off in your brain).  Thankfully, I knew all three, so I was not lost like they were.

I was back to form in the first round, getting all but three (and those misses were all $1000 clues, so that felt good, although not as good as when it's a TS).

But, holy cow, I sucked in DJ.  Awful.  Possibly my worst round ever.  I blew the biblical category entirely and missed three each in everything else other than sauce, which was the sole category I ran.

Thankfully, FJ was an instaget (I am a night owl, so maybe that helped, but it seemed pretty easy for a FJ) to end on a high note. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6

I got quite a few tonight...Ran ONJ category...how could they NOT know Gene Kelly????? How could they not know CSN?????? I knew more clues tonight than in previous nights and slightly overthought FJ as I realized "Night owl" seemed WAY too easy....So, I'll just congratulate myself on how smart I am....

(As a John Denver fan, I was hoping there'd be a clue in ONJ about her singing awesome harmony on "Fly Away" but that might be a bit obscure for this crowd....and yeah, if they didn't know CSN, they wouldn't know that either...SMH...)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'd put money on Tom, Dick, & Harry not being a TS if they hadn't jumped right to it; once you fully understand the category, even just coming up with one of the three people could get you there (e.g. if you knew civil rights activist Gregory = Dick, you'd know it had to be Someone, Dick, and Someone, and that gives you a good shot at the light bulb going off in your brain).  Thankfully, I knew all three, so I was not lost like they were.

Yeah, I got as far as "Tom" but without having seen the top clue first I had no idea what the category title of "1, 2, & 3" even meant. Not knowing that yet, I had to think too much about the individual names to get there in time. If I knew I needed a phrase with three names starting with Tom, I would probably have gotten it just from that.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Add me as one who's shocked that no one got Crosby, Stills, and Nash, but especially that no one got Gene Kelly.  That woman on the end looked at least 55-60 years old and should have known Gene Kelly.

She had just been to her 46th class reunion at William & Mary, per her interview, so unless she was much younger when she graduated, 22+46 would make her late 60s. I'm older than that, I didn't get it because a) I never saw Xanadu and b) I might have recognized a much younger Gene Kelly, but not this older version.

I knew Crosby, Stills, and Nash because I'm familiar with Suite Judy Blue Eyes (Judy Collins).

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Cris has reminded me of someone since his very first appearance, and still does, but I've never figured out who (none of the posted suggestions have been it).  Maybe it's someone I know rather than a celebrity he's reminding me of, but whoever it is just will not come to me.  I'll probably figure it out on his last episode.

Same here. I do believe it’s an actor, but can’t figure out which one.

Maybe Cris is just trying the wrong olives. I don’t care much for the green ones, but the black ones are delicious. It also makes a big difference if they’re bottled or canned. And don’t stuff that pimento crap inside; that’s just gross.

Kit Carson made me smile. I knew I would not be the only one shouting at the screen this time! (Although I did shout at Rob for making a conservative DD wager. I get not wanting to go to 0, but unless Cris just falls apart, it’s going to take big guts and big wagers to beat him. But I also didn’t get Rob’s FJ wager, either.)

FJ was of course an instaget for me. I hear that phrase a lot— there’s a reason most of my posts occur in the middle of the night.

• Like 7

Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Donald O’Connor  - I love them all and they’re all the best , each with their own style,  GK- athletic, FA-classic,  and DO  - my first thought is more comedic…… what all 3 of them do in their musicals takes my breath away!!

4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Packerbrewerbadger I assume you are from Wisconsin.

What gave me away?  😉

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Donald O’Connor  - I love them all and they’re all the best , each with their own style,  GK- athletic, FA-classic,  and DO  - my first thought is more comedic…… what all 3 of them do in their musicals takes my breath away!!

Amen!

I'm in my mid 60s and used to watch all the musicals from the 40s and 50s with my mom. So, I was surprised that the older woman didn't know him. And yet, I didn't get CSN; they were of my era but I just wasn't a huge fan I guess.Got FJ.

Is it me, or does Cris sometimes seem uncomfortable? It's almost as if he's embarrassed that he's winning. He doesn't smile much.

Edited by ECM1231
B/c ears & era are not the same thing. Lol
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, labresq said:

I have just recently discovered this show and can't seem to find a listing for it here on Primetime.  Does anybody know if there is one?  

I'm not familiar with it, but, yep, the Search function brought it right up -- there's an archived version (linked to in page one of the single thread) from when it was a multi-thread forum, and an active single-thread topic for it.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I am so grateful that I wasn’t up there onstage to say, totally straightfacedly, that Boss Tweed was in the Dukes of Hazzard. Please respect my wish for privacy at this difficult time.

I feel ya!  I actually said “Judas Priest” when Ken prompted to be more specific on a question.  I’ve never been so happy to not be there on stage.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

Is it me, or does Cris sometimes seem uncomfortable? It's almost as if he's embarrassed that he's winning. He doesn't smile much.

I think even though he's probably happy that he's kept winning, it probably feels really awkward to keep doing so game after game while seeing so many people he's played against go home. He seems more animated during some of the interview questions though. I also noticed that he usually gets that uncomfortable look after Ken says how much money he's won so far.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

14 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I also noticed that he usually gets that uncomfortable look after Ken says how much money he's won so far.

I noticed this as well.  It's like he's trying to stifle his smile.  I guess he's afraid of coming off as arrogant if he looks like he's enjoying it too much, but it's natural to smile when you're winning.  He should just let loose.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

My take on Cris is he appears to be somewhat of an introvert. As such, he may feel uncomfortable when praise is being lavished upon him— like when Ken talks about his winnings and how great he’s doing. We’ve had other contestants present similarly (Jackie Kelly comes to mind). A serious face during gameplay could also just mean he’s focused.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

My take on Cris is he appears to be somewhat of an introvert. As such, he may feel uncomfortable when praise is being lavished upon him— like when Ken talks about his winnings and how great he’s doing. We’ve had other contestants present similarly (Jackie Kelly comes to mind). A serious face during gameplay could also just mean he’s focused.

That's my take too. I believe he's an introvert, and also kind of intense and very into the game. And he's very focused. I have come to love that smile at the end, that looks full of relief and gratitude that the game's over and he's won again. 

Like everyone, I couldn't believe nobody got CSN and Gene Kelly. And yeah, FJ was an instaget. 

• Like 6