Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: I Know Who Did It

• Start Topic

Okay, next year I’m going to need a male killer or I’m going to begin to question whether this show is a bit misogynistic.  LOL

I *knew* the stabbing of Charles wasn’t real, but still gasped audibly when he went down.  The Alice fake out  was actually nicely done.

I wonder what Ben did, and to whom?  Mabel?  Lucy?

God, I love this show!!  

• Like 1
  • Love 22

I also gasped out loud when Charles was stabbed. But, here's what I don't get. Poppy knew that Alice wasn't the killer, so why would Alice try to stab Mabel when 1.) she was innocent and 2.) probably not prone to homicidal tendencies? It seems like Poppy would have known something was up. Otherwise I really enjoyed the finale. Loved the scene with Oliver and his son, Charles and the make-up artist, and Selena looked great in that gown at the end.

I'm hoping we'll see flashbacks of Paul Rudd's character next season. It seems like he's bad guy, which is so out-of-character for Paul Rudd that it'll be fun to watch. 

• Like 3
  • Love 12

Did we really get everything answered in… 20 minutes? So all the clues didn’t point to one killer, but rather the team of Poppy and Kreps?

2 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

I also gasped out loud when Charles was stabbed.

Especially if you have non-ad-free Hulu, and they make you wait through three commercials after the stabbing 😬

Edited by kay1864
  • Love 6

Ok, I really doubted they could land it, but I fucking loved it. The whodunnit was like #23 on my list of Top 10 Moments. I’m not even certain why Bunny got killed or whatever all the father stuff was about. Everything else was so much better. 

I’d read something a couple days ago about Steve Martin retiring, so when he got stabbed I completely bought it. That was good use of misdirect.

Overall I thought Season 1 was a better mystery, but the S2 finale re-wrote the book.

• Like 2
  • Love 17

I also gasped when Charles was stabbed and was wondering if Steve Martin wasn’t going to come back in season 3. They fooled me. 

It got dusty with Will and Oliver’s scene. I’m glad that he knows Oliver isn’t his bio dad and is okay with it.

Hilarious they brought on Paul Rudd to have him killed off. I’m sure he will show up in flashbacks but I’m intrigued why Charles and him have so much animosity, and who the “she” is that he’s supposed to stay away from. Can’t wait for season 3.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Loved it! I get why they had the fake out with Alice - they needed Becky to slip up and her jealousy over Mabel being offered the podcast after she outed Alice the final push. Becky had planned everything out to get her own podcast and recognition from Cinda. Letting Alice take the fall means that she would get nothing and Mabel would get it all. Her anger and need to be in the spotlight caused her to admit to knowing about Lucy being in the tunnel. Between the sneezing, the knowledge about Lucy, and her DNA on the knife, she trapped herself and Krepps.

I love Paul Rudd and cannot wait to see this mystery unfold over Season 3. It looks like Andrea Martin will be joining the crew for the next season too and both are welcome additions to the cast. 

One question - am I supposed to know who Ben is? It seems like the show expects me to know who he is and I cannot place him at all. 

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

But, here's what I don't get. Poppy knew that Alice wasn't the killer, so why would Alice try to stab Mabel when 1.) she was innocent and 2.) probably not prone to homicidal tendencies? It seems like Poppy would have known something was up. Otherwise I really enjoyed the finale. Loved the scene with Oliver and his son, Charles and the make-up artist, and Selena looked great in that gown at the end.

I just think she believed she had successfully conned everyone that she believed Alice had a momentary lapse of sanity.  After all, she had pulled off her disappearance, getting the mayor put in jail and the murder of Bunny.  Although I'm still not sure why she wanted it.  Is it just to supplement her podcast?

My big question is where did the cake come from?

Overall, I sort of predicted the twists in this final episode in a way I didn't last season.  I guessed that Becky was probably right next to Cinda in the bar and that's who Kreps was looking at and that everyone was in on the stabbing.  (Although maybe they weren't?  They seemed surprised when he came up alive.)

I think the only thing that surprised me is that they roped Cinda into their theater.  I would have thought she'd try to usurp that herself for her podcast. 

I had seen a photo of Paul Rudd on set that had people speculating he'd be in the finale and there he was.  I do hope we'll get flashbacks with him next season.  Maybe they'll flash backward a year?  Besides, I think whatever killed him needs to be administered in the apartment building if they're to keep with the name of the show.

I do love that it took place at a play.  I suspect it'll give us the chance to see a lot of theater people either as characters or playing themselves. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

I’d read something a couple days ago about Steve Martin retiring

“Martin said cutting back on his professional commitments would give him more time with his wife, Anne Stringfield, a writer, and their 9-year-old daughter.

"I have a family life that's really fun," he said. "To film a movie now, to go someplace else to live, I'm not willing to do that anymore. I can't disappear for three months."”

So a 5-hour series is less of a time commitment than a 2-hour movie? Dunno. Does TV film faster than movies do? Maybe in this case, if he already lives in NYC?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, cmahorror said:

One question - am I supposed to know who Ben is? It seems like the show expects me to know who he is and I cannot place him at all. 

I don't think so.  I think we'll learn more about him next season and learn about Charles's cryptic words.  I'm guessing he's a movie star doing his first Broadway play but in over his head.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

they needed Becky to slip up and her jealousy over Mabel being offered the podcast

I think that was the surreal moment that clued me in, that Cinda would be gushing over Mabel, while Charles is LYING THERE DEAD.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

So a 5-hour series is less of a time commitment than a 2-hour movie? Dunno. Does TV film faster than movies do? Maybe in this case, if he already lives in NYC?

Not necessarily.  But being on a TV show often lets people have a home life.  They're reliably anchored somewhere unless that TV show films some place the family doesn't want to move to.  This show films in NY every year so they can do some planning around that. They probably have a house or apartment there and their daughter can go to school there.  Movies might have you in Canada for three months and Hungary the next three months.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Love 8

Well I am still a little bit confused. I thought they would show how Bunny was killed that night. Am I to assume that Poppy forced Bunny across the hall to Mabel's apartment to murder her there? Or maybe did Bunny take to the tunnels to try and escape and was caught after she got to the first apartment closest - which must have been Mabel's? 

I seriously thought that they would show the entire reenactment. Oh well. At least it looks like next season won't be caught up in the current mess in the building and that means a fresh start.

Also this is probably dumb but who was the black guy sitting on the couch next to the doorman? Was that supposed to be the Dr Stanley the psychiatrist who takes venmo? If it was he looked like a completely different actor to me.

Honestly Howard almost stole the show..... lol.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Just realized that the actress who plays the makeup lady whom Charles likes plays the aunt in My Big Fat Greek Wedding I and II. 

Whichever one of you predicted it was Becky/Poppy that Kreps was leering at in the bar in OK and not Cinda, you are a smart cookie. I decided on Becky/Poppy as the killer as soon as they showed her backstory with the abusive dad and sexually harassing mayor.

Howard is hilarious and I hope he’s back next season.

This cast is just amazing. It’s the little things that work so well, like during the “skit” when Mabel told Alice she’s a good kisser and the superfan said “niiiice” and Ursula snapped her fingers to get him to stop and focus. LOL. It was such a simple thing with no dialogue from Ursula but so funny! 

One complaint: I don’t understand how the Rose Cooper stuff fits in or what Becky/Poppy’s plan was after Bunny’s murder and how she’d planned to use it to get famous. Was her goal to frame Cinda? And why was Becky/Poppy with Bunny in the diner at all? I missed that.

Edited by Mrs. Landingham
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

Just realized that the actress who plays the makeup lady whom Charles likes plays the aunt in My Big Fat Greek Wedding I and II. 

Andrea Martin is an international treasure. She played Julie Klausner's mother on Difficult People for three seasons, also on Hulu. She was wonderful and had a great episode where she and Tina Fey (as herself, directing an episode of The Blacklist) were day drinking and discussing the best cameras for making older women looking young (the Fonda 5000 😁😁).

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I was thinking it was either Poppy or Sazz, so I'm glad it turned out to be one of them. 

Things I still have questions about:

1. Why was Poppy meeting with Bunny? Did it have to do with why she decided to kill her?
  2. What about the painting? I don't really understand the point of that whole plot, it didn't really have to do with anything, did it?
  3. What about Charles' father? What happened to him?
  4. So Amy Schumer was just for no reason?
  5. What about Teddy & Theo?
  6. Why has Mabel forgiven Alice?
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

Why was Poppy meeting with Bunny? Did it have to do with why she decided to kill her?

I think this was because she was trying to get the next great true crime podcast. Didn't she recommend the Rose Cooper story to Cinda? But when Cinda found out it was about paintings it was a hard pass. I am assuming that Poppy met with her enough to get the "#14 Sandwich added to the menu.

• Like 3

I love the idea of a Killer Reveal Party and livestreaming the reveal. After the previous episode, I did think Cinda was the killer, but as soon as this episode started with Poppy narrating her backstory, I knew it had to be her. Everything about the party was great: Howard fainting at the sight of blood, Uma refusing to stay if there isn't cake, Ursula's confusion about what was happening, Poppy calling Alice Australian. And Charles and Oliver's slo-mo acting had me rolling. It was up there with Charles in the elevator last season.

All this time we were trying to figure out what "Savage" and "fourteen" meant and "Savage" was actually "sandwich." I don't think anyone called that. 

So Poppy's whole motive was trying to get recognition after Cinda blew off her idea about the Rose Cooper disappearance and Kreps was stupid enough to go along with the whole thing. It was Poppy who told them to get out of the building, but she sent Kreps to the park to get the evidence. The only thing I'm not clear on is how Poppy got Bunny into Mabel's apartment. Mabel had her keys when she came in, so the door must've been locked.

I'm surprised they're doing a whole year time skip. Since Ben was killed in a theater, I guess they're not only solving murders in the building anymore. Unless he's a resident of the Arconia, or the killer is. Charles is angry at Ben for doing something to "her." Mabel or Lucy, maybe? Someone else who lives in the building? 

Edited by phalange
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, sjankis630 said:

I think this was because she was trying to get the next great true crime podcast. Didn't she recommend the Rose Cooper story to Cinda? But when Cinda found out it was about paintings it was a hard pass. I am assuming that Poppy met with her enough to get the "#14 Sandwich added to the menu.

Maybe, but Bunny clearly didn't like her, why did she keep meeting with her? And why didn't she just say Poppy instead of 14 sandwich?

Edited by GaT
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I knew it, the two criminal masterminds.

omitb_210_cb_00476rt.jpg

Oh wait, they didn't do it, ahh, this is much better.
omitb_210_cb_01295rt.jpg

What a load of horse pockey, nothing in that episode made any sense and again there were no viable murder suspects. Poppy leaves Oklahoma to go to New York so that she can get a job where she goes back to Oklahoma to solve her own murder and nobody in Oklahoma recognizes her even though they are constantly flashing her photo everywhere they go and talking to the people who know her best. How did Poppy know about the secret tunnels in the Arconia? How did Poppy know where Charles, Oliver and Mabel were when she texted them to get out of the building? How did they get the large Police response and the crowd (mostly Arconia residents and Podcast listeners) there so fast? How did Poppy get from the crime scene to standing next to Cinda Canning with all her recording equipment, didn't Cinda notice that Poppy was gone until the very last second, hair disheveled from the mask and breathing heavy from changing her clothes and possibly running down 14 flights of stairs?

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7

I need to rewatch.
I'm still a little hazy on where Kreps was during Bunny's murder, and why Becky/Poppy killed Bunny, and was it premeditated, and, if so, did Kreps know about the plan?
Probably not premeditated?
Did Poppy need a victim and poor Bunny was just there? 

I hope Bunny/Jayne Houdyshell gets some flashback appearances next season. And a cameo with Shirley MacLaine would be fun.

Mabel and Alice painting over Mabel's mural was sad for me, but then I don't like graffiti being painted over either.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I will preface this by saying I'm a big fan of the show, but I don't think any of the loose ends Mabel referred to in episode 10 of season 1 were tied up. We still don't know who poisoned Winnie, or left notes on Jan's and Oliver's doors.

kind of frustrated. But will be right back here for season 3. 

• Like 2
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I guessed that Becky was probably right next to Cinda in the bar and that's who Kreps was looking at and that everyone was in on the stabbing.  (Although maybe they weren't?  They seemed surprised when he came up alive.)

I think they were all in on the stabbing. My reasoning for this is I think when Uma was calling 911, she was really on the phone with Detective Williams to let her know when Poppy confessed and they could come in.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I read a spoiler so already knew Poppy was the killer.  I really did not enjoy this second season, there was too many red herrings and personal stuff and the ending was unsatisfying.

It would have been better if killer was someone who lived in the building.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Could the “her” be Lucy’s mother?  

"Her" could also be Andrea Martin's character.  Maybe she is makeup artist for the play and Ben is mean to her?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

They introduced a Paul Rudd character, only to immediately kill him off?  You gotta be fucking kidding me.

In all seriousness, there better be flashbacks of Rudd next season.  Rudd in this show acting opposite the main 3 would be fantastic.

I agree with Oliver's assessment about Lester.  Hell, all the other residents were great.  They better get those cakes that were promised to them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

They introduced a Paul Rudd character, only to immediately kill him off?  You gotta be fucking kidding me.

It's been announced he's going to be in Season 3, so there will be plenty of flashbacks.

I got teary-eyed at the Oliver/Will scene.  I'm glad they both acknowledged the paternity secret and agree it doesn't really matter.

LOL at the "where's the cake?" commentary.  I feel  ya!

I figured out it was Poppy at the beginning of the episode, but when Charles got "stabbed" I still gasped.

All in all, I really enjoyed the season.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Not necessarily.  But being on a TV show often lets people have a home life.  They're reliably anchored somewhere unless that TV show films some place the family doesn't want to move to.  This show films in NY every year so they can do some planning around that. They probably have a house or apartment there and their daughter can go to school there.  Movies might have you in Canada for three months and Hungary the next three months.

Not to mention Steve Martian most likely has it in his contract to film less hrs. On a show like this he can film most of his scenes for an episode in two days. If they work on a 7 day schedule/ 12 weeks filming it means he’s not on set all day. Each week results in an episode filmed. That’s why big guest stars can come on set, film a few scenes and be out of there with no one the wiser.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, sjankis630 said:

I can understand the disappointment folks have in not all loose ends being tied up. I am glad the killer didn't turn out to be some random person like Nina's fiance/husband who we only see in one scene.

I think all the loose ends were just slices of life and not meant to be related to the murder at all. We took them as red herrings, which they were, but they were also just fleshing out life in the Arconia and Charles, Oliver, and Mabel’s lives. That’s how life is, not everything, every person, every event  relates to the other. Did the writers pull this off successfully? Not really, the time could have been spent better on the mystery and the real loose ends. But since it resulted in us only having to tolerate Amy Schumer briefly, I call that a win. 

• Like 4
  • Love 6

I was filled with anxiety watching this episode.  I was afraid it would be a cliff-hanger or something bad would happen - and when Charles was stabbed, I was afraid it was real.  (I'm just a mess.)  I had to re-watch to enjoy it!

So many red herrings or loose ends!  For those of you able to predict some things, I salute you.  I could see some speculation as possible/likely, but had no idea on my own beyond Kreps being a creep who was probably directly involved.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, GaT said:

Maybe, but Bunny clearly didn't like her, why did she keep meeting with her? And why didn't she just say Poppy instead of 14 sandwich?

8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I knew it, the two criminal masterminds.

omitb_210_cb_00476rt.jpg

Oh wait, they didn't do it, ahh, this is much better.
omitb_210_cb_01295rt.jpg

What a load of horse pockey, nothing in that episode made any sense and again there were no viable murder suspects. Poppy leaves Oklahoma to go to New York so that she can get a job where she goes back to Oklahoma to solve her own murder and nobody in Oklahoma recognizes her even though they are constantly flashing her photo everywhere they go and talking to the people who know her best. How did Poppy know about the secret tunnels in the Arconia? How did Poppy know where Charles, Oliver and Mabel were when she texted them to get out of the building? How did they get the large Police response and the crowd (mostly Arconia residents and Podcast listeners) there so fast? How did Poppy get from the crime scene to standing next to Cinda Canning with all her recording equipment, didn't Cinda notice that Poppy was gone until the very last second, hair disheveled from the mask and breathing heavy from changing her clothes and possibly running down 14 flights of stairs?

I need to re-watch, because I have all the same questions. 

So Poppy’s goal was to achieve her own podcast fame, I got that. But her only reason for pursuing Bunny was the Rose Cooper painting mystery because that was her original podcast idea? Why kill Bunny? Was Poppy trying to steal the painting to sell it? I feel like I’m asking dumb questions so I really need to re-watch! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Charles didn't even use they scary type of tomato, he had to squeeze it to get any juice out. Everybody knows the scary ones have the reddish-green seed blobs that ooze out as soon as you cut it!

Agreed, but maybe they were going for the slow burn.

• Love 1

Damn, they went and got me again! I suspected that Cinda might not be the real killer, we were getting her as a suspect way too soon, but I didn't think it would be Poppy/Becky until she started freaking out about Mabel possibly getting a deal with Cinda. I even gasped when Alice stabbed Charles, mainly because Alice was still my preferred suspect, although the jig was up pretty quickly. I knew in my head that Charles was fine, but they did have me worried during that ad break. Poor Bunny, she wasn't killed because of the Arcadia or her painting, she was killed just because Becky needed a body for her future podcast. So many twists and turns, I feel like this season had even more red hearings than last season, although I think it all wrapped up rather thematically. You have the reoccurring theme of parents, and Becky's loutish probably abusive father was one of the things dragging her life down, as well as people reinventing themselves, hiding their pasts. Alice made up a wealthy past to hide her working class roots to become famous in the art world, and Rose Cooper, like Becky, faked her disappearance/death to start a new life under a new identity. 

I loved that most of the supporting cast got to show up for the confusedly named Killer Reveal Party, Howard especially has become a real MVP this season. Only one of his faints was real, the rest was acting, thank you, and it turns out that Lester has one hell of a backstory. I hope that even though next seasons murder takes place outside of the building, the supporting cast still pops up. 

Awww Charles finally asked out the makeup lady! And Lucy is still in his life a year later! I am also really glad that Will figured out that Oliver is not his bio dad, but that isn't changing anything. Oliver might not be his blood, but he's his father in every way that matters. 

I am always thrilled to see Paul Rudd, and it looks like next season he's going to be our victim! The time skip is an interesting idea, I bet we will get flashbacks to the year we missed to see what led to this, that should shake things up. I loved this season and even if there are still some loose ends with this reveal, I am still happy with it. Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez are truly the dream team I never knew I wanted, the next season cant come fast enough. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
  • Love 15
10 hours ago, phalange said:

Unless he's a resident of the Arconia, or the killer is. Charles is angry at Ben for doing something to "her." Mabel or Lucy, maybe? Someone else who lives in the building? 

Maybe Ben moves into the building when he gets the play part (Bunny's apartment is available, or maybe the celebrity penthouse) and meets Mabel or Lucy and does something that hurts them.  I do agree with NOTABUG, as my first thought was that Ben does something to hurt the make-up artist.  Charles seems pretty pissed.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Here's how I see it.  Poppy/Becky, besides being kinda nuts anyway, is vengeful.  There was no reason for her to fake her disappearance in Oklahoma.  Sure, her life wasn't great but she obviously had the means to move and start over and no one was actively preventing her from leaving.  She didn't have an abusive spouse that was going to track her down and kill her if she left, she just had a dad and a boss that were jerks.  But instead of just telling everyone to shove it and moving, she faked her disappearance, framed her boss for murder and let her dad think that his daughter was dead.  So her suggesting the podcast to Cinda was partly about getting close to her idol (possible subject of obsession) but also about punishing her boss and her dad.  

With Bunny, Poppy was trying to get a podcast off the ground about Rose Cooper but Bunny (possibly the only lead she had) wasn't playing ball.  So when Cinda said that there had to be a murder involved for it to be intersting, Poppy probably felt that since Bunny was refusing to help her with the Rose Cooper story, she was justified in murdering her.  Same as with her boss and dad.  

Ah yes, thank you!  I’d forgotten that Cinda told her that there needed to be a murder for it to be interesting. “Art, fart”. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Poppy probably felt that since Bunny was refusing to help her with the Rose Cooper story, she was justified in murdering her

which puts her in the category of crazy psychopaths. Same category of Jan. And exactly the worst category of murderer to choose for a whodunit. A complete no-no. You can read the complete collection of Agatha Christie's books and won't ever find this nonsense. In addition of course, there was no way whatsoever to think of this before last second in episode 9, when she herself, we don't know why, incriminates herself saying "I am Becky". Zero hints before that.

Seriously. This series is top comedy, but worst ever in mystery.

• Love 12