Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Sons

• Start Topic

(edited)

Shaun and Lea make a big life decision and are pleasantly surprised by the support they receive from their friends at the hospital; Asher struggles to accept that he and his father may never truly understand one another.

Airdate: 16/5/22

Edited by greekmom
(edited)

I knew the nurse was in jeopardy two weeks ago when she moved in with Lim. 

Never expected a double cliffhanger. Is Lim leaving the show? The nurse likely is.

Is Reznick leaving or will she be moving up the ladder if Lim leaves; as she'll be the surgeon who couldn't operate at St. Boneventure?

Edited by preeya
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

All, right, well, thanks, show, for making me unable to hear "God Only Knows" the same way ever again. 

Wow. Way to totally swerve with that ending. I was getting increasingly nervous with all the moments between Shaun and Glassman towards the end there, and I was waiting for something to happen to him. I had a feeling that Nurse Villanueva's ex would come after her, but I thought maybe he'd get Glassman or someone else by mistake. 

But nope, he got Villanueva and Lim! Really hoping this isn't a sign Lim's going to leave the show. 

Also curious about what will become of Morgan. 

On a much lighter note, I did like Shaun and Glassman reflecting on their history together, and Shaun telling Glassman he was a good dad, and the two of them saying they loved each other :). That was sweet. And I love Lea's wedding dress. About time those two finally went through with the wedding. I don't even care about how quickly it all was thrown together at the hospital :p. 

The storyline with Asher and his parents was interesting, too. I liked the scene between him and his mom in the chapel, that was quite powerful. I'm glad that he was able to resolve things with his parents in the end. And I'm glad he and Shaun talked a bit about their difficult upbringings with their dads, I was wondering if the two of them would get a chance to connect a bit over that. 

And now we have a whole summer to wait and see how those cliffhangers resolve themselves. Onward to next season, then!

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 17

Not surprised the nurse's ex showed up and put people in danger, but really hope they don't kill Lim off. I'm guessing the nurse will die, Lim will survive and then can have a storyline next season about feeling guilt/angst over not saving her friend.

I am wondering why the break room and hospital in general looked so deserted. There was maybe 12 people up on the roof watching Shaun and Lea's wedding, so shouldn't there still have been lots of doctors, nurses, and other staff on the other floors?

I was surprised they went with Morgan wanting the job. Is the actress leaving the show? I thought for sure they were setting up her and Park getting engaged.

The wedding was well done, and so was the Shaun/Glassman scene. I thought it was sweet when Shaun said he loved him and referred to him as his father.

I wasn't following how the AI got the paralyzed woman her voice back. Did they say it reads her brain waves and vocalizes them? Because that seems creepy.

I liked the stuff with Asher's family too. He has always talked about how his family was awful, but they did seem to care about him (even if it is awful that they can't accept him being gay). 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I really appreciate that the writers let the wedding happen without shooting it up

I was expecting something like that, too. Rather glad they didn't, both because it would've been a crappy way to end the season in general and also because, well, it would've been really bad timing, given recent real world events, and all that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I really appreciate that the writers let the wedding happen without shooting it up

I was so nervous that would happen that I had to fast forward. But damm, Lim? I really hope she’s not a goner, though it doesn’t look too good right now.

• Love 2

I guess the writers didn’t think about inserting safety measures due to that staff members abusive husband, but I think that professionals are taught to do that now days.  Most hospitals, you can’t just enter without permission.  That woman’s husband should not have had access.  As an attorney, I’m acutely aware of the emotions in divorce cases, especially, domestic violence.  It’s always a concern for you and your office staff.  

• Love 7
(edited)

I was totally expecting the wedding to get shot up (Maybe the husband trying to shoot the wife with a rifle, hearing the gunshot, then fade to black) - didn't expect the stabbing until Lim went off by herself.

I am wondering why that entire unit was dark - since that looked like the regular floor they are on, which has patient rooms and a nurses station right near by. All of the sick people must've gone home for the night, I guess.

You think hospital security would know who the husband was so they could keep an eye out for him.

Also, how did he manage to just get up there? Most hospitals I have been in require you to get buzzed in once you are beyond the outpatient areas.

tbh until Lim walked away, I was thinking that maybe they wouldn't do a cliffhanger, it'd come back and be a month or two later and Asher would mention that he was at his father's funeral and reconciled with some of his family.

Edited by bros402
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

All, right, well, thanks, show, for making me unable to hear "God Only Knows" the same way ever again. 

Big Love had already done that for me...

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Most hospitals, you can’t just enter without permission.

I've been in and out of multiple hospitals recently and never needed permission to go in. There just isn't that kind of security anywhere I've been, including in both rural and urban areas.

I'm sure it exists in some places, but it's definitely not a universal.

• Love 4

ER had that same kind of scene with Lucy and Dr. carter.  That was a complete shock.  With them bringing on the abused nurse and giving her more and more scenes pretty much knew something bad would happen.

i like Morgan and Park together hope she doesn’t leave.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Guess you've never seen an episode of Big Love?

Damn you show.  You gave me what I wanted (closure with Asher and his parents) and then you threw me for a loop with the ending.
How am I going to last all summer?!?!?  Lim better survive and Morgan better stay with Park.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

Guess you've never seen an episode of Big Love?

Damn you show.  You gave me what I wanted (closure with Asher and his parents) and then you threw me for a loop with the ending.
How am I going to last all summer?!?!?  Lim better survive and Morgan better stay with Park.

Which song from "Big Love" are you referring to?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SWLinPHX said:

Which song from "Big Love" are you referring to?

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I have not, no. Now I'm curious how they used that song on that show :p. 

• Useful 4
47 minutes ago, Katmai said:

"God Only Knows" was used as the theme song for Big Love, iirc.

Ohhh, that exact song?  Okay...  I thought you were referring to another song that was ruined for you (maybe they used the Fleetwood Mac song of the same name).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I guess the writers didn’t think about inserting safety measures due to that staff members abusive husband, but I think that professionals are taught to do that now days.  Most hospitals, you can’t just enter without permission.  That woman’s husband should not have had access.  As an attorney, I’m acutely aware of the emotions in divorce cases, especially, domestic violence.  It’s always a concern for you and your office staff.  

He was the florist delivering the flowers.   That is how he easily got in.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Oh for F! sakes! Right before the end I was thinking, what was that warning at the beginning about mature audiences and domestic violence? I am wondering if that ending was tacked on after they found out they had been renewed for another season or if it was always planned that way. Without it, it would have been a lovely series finale.

I too loved Lea's wedding dress.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Not surprised the nurse's ex showed up and put people in danger, but really hope they don't kill Lim off. I'm guessing the nurse will die, Lim will survive and then can have a storyline next season about feeling guilt/angst over not saving her friend.

Eh, do we really need another season of her dealing with PTSD?

14 hours ago, bros402 said:

I was totally expecting the wedding to get shot up

It would have been a way to finally get Lea off this show. Is it bad I was kinda hoping for that? It's bad, right?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I loved Shaun and Lea getting married at the hospital with their co-worker family. It is exactly how I thought the season would conclude. As the episode was drawing to an end, I was suspicious that the writers would let it end on a happy note. As soon as Lim said she was going to get more glasses I turned to my hubby and said "That nurse's husband is in the hospital and he is going to shoot her" . Right idea, wrong method of attack. I really hope Lim survives as she is an important part of the cast of characters. I don't want Morgan to leave either,  but I do get tired of her and Park constantly bickering. 

I loved Lea's wedding dress as it was pretty much identical to mine. Same neckline, same type of material, and same short train. Only difference is mine was two pieces. I got married 18 years ago, and chose the style because I loved it, and thought it would be timeless. ☺️

• Love 4

Most hospitals honestly you can just walk into but even the ones where you aren't supposed to be able to you usually can.  There are just too many ways to enter and too many people in and out to police everything.  The hospital my mom usually goes to only checks ID on the weekends, for instance.  And even then  where the security stops are located makes them fairly easy to avoid.   

• Love 2

You know it really was bizarre for the good people at the hospital to offer to give them a PROPER wedding…lol.  After they squandered a perfectly good wedding weeks before.  Lol

• Love 6

Well, that’s a hell of a cliffhanger to leave us off on through the summer. I kept thinking something like this was gonna happen, then when Lim said “I’ll go down to the break room and get more glasses” I said “Oh no, that’s where it’s gonna happen!” And Lim got attacked along with Villanueva.

I’m gonna say they won’t kill Lim off the show, keeping in mind that killing off Melendez was an unpopular move. They probably will kill off Villaneuva since she has only appeared in scattered episodes over the 5 seasons of the show.

I was annoyed that Shaun and Lea handled the wedding business the way they did. Everyone wanted to be part of their wedding, yet they were all about just getting married at the courthouse. Not to mention, Claire wasn’t there due to them cancelling on that show.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, greekmom said:

Ah, okay, thanks for the link! Interesting choice of song for that series. I knew Paxton was in that show, but I didn't realize those particular actresses were in it, too. I know Tripplehorn from her time as Blake on "Criminal Minds".

(Also, side note, but those lyrics against the scene of Paxton spinning around with his wives, looking almost heavenly, are really eerie and haunting, considering he's gone.) 

• Love 2

I'm really glad they didn't kill off Glassman because it would have been too obvious.  Even though wow they sure tried to hint in that direction, didn't they?  I started out not liking the Glassman character, but at this point I've warmed up to him.

The funny thing about if Morgan leaves the show (which I don't want to see), she doesn't need to be replaced.

Didn't expect that swerve with Lim at the end, wow.

There was a scene there where Lea was starting to complain about not having a big wedding, and I was like "Don't even go there,  you could have had your big wedding last week and you called it off, I don't want to hear it".

No fair pulling out the Beach Boys song at the end.  What a classic.

• Love 4

I said a few weeks ago that the show was losing steam but I really liked this episode and can’t wait to see what happens. I don’t watch a lot of medical dramas and I must be one of the only ones who totally didn’t see any of that coming! So naive lol.

• Love 1

Recall what Lim said to someone about Morgan leaving?  Something about it was probably a good idea for her to leave, because it’s sad to be known as the surgeon who can’t be a surgeon anymore.  

• Love 3

I was touched that Glassman gave Shaun the family rings - and mentioned his late-daughter - but - I  realize that S&L seem to be winging this wedding, but did they not even have rings?

I had to laugh that the rings happened to fit both of them perfectly.

• Love 2

Well, that was a cliffhanger!

They made a good effort with trying to hide it, but I kind of had a feeling what was going down because despite how brief it was, I still could tell that the flower delivery guy was Terry Chen; one of those actors I've seen in a ton of stuff (currently on Kung Fu right now!); so I knew there was no way he was just going to have a brief walk on role and was going to be Villanueva's abusive ex instead.  Was surprised how it played out though because I did think he was going to attack at the actual wedding itself.  But things certainly don't look good now!  The smart money is on Lim probably being saved (unless Christina Chang is leaving for whatever reason) due to being a regular, but Villanueva is more of a question mark.  Not sure if the show would go dark enough to have an abuse victim flat-out get killed by her abuser, but it could happen.  Guess we'll find out in a few months.

Other than all of that, it was kind of a nice and pleasant episode: almost could have served as a series finale if it wasn't for the cliffhanger.  In the end, Shaun and Lea still get married but at the hospital instead (after briefly considering a courtroom one), which isn't surprising but works for this type of show.  Of course, I'm sure there will still be some conflict and drama even with the knot officially being tied, but hopefully they'll be more mature about it going forward.

Looks like Reznick is considering a job elsewhere?  Another case of it depending on if Fiona Gubelmann is going to stick around or not.  I'd be surprised if actually left though.

Was surprised over how much I was invested with Asher and his parents.  They did a solid job at showing the history there and the mistakes his parents made, but still buying that they did (and still) love him and a reconciliation of some kind was nice.  Noah Galvin gave a standout performance here.

Okay, fine!  My eyes might have watered up a bit when Shaun told Glassman he loved him and Glassman responded in the same way.  I blame y'alls amazing talents, Freddie Highmore and Richard Schiff!

All in all, kind of a mixed season overall as I thought the beginning/Salen arc really did a number starting out and was probably the least favorite thing this show has done outside of Melendez' death and the time Shaun went overboard with his feelings towards Lea in season three.  But I thought it recovered well enough at the end and at least finished on a good note.  Either way, I'll be back because I really like this entire ensemble of characters and actors.  But maybe just lay off on any one note adversaries going forward, show.

• Love 6

What a lazy way of ending the season, by recycling what ER did decades ago. 

I can list all my predictions here about the outcomes of this mess, all of them recycled tropes. 

Meh.

Doctors who stop working to celebrate a wedding, with booze on the rooftops of a hospital? Suuuuure

Doctors going to the break room to get glasses? Seriously? People are drinking too much, tell them to reuse the glasses. What a pathetic excuse. Like a said, lazy writing

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'm thinking Reznick might take the job and Park will go with her. Didn't he recently pass his "test" as a surgeon, handling a case alone? It would make room for two new residents to come in.

I really hope Lim doesn't die. I feel like that would make killing doctors off look too easy (looking at the writers and thinking of Melendez).

The wedding was nice, I'm glad it's behind them, and while they were saying their vows I reflected back on how much I hated them getting together but I am truly okay with it now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm really tired of the doctors in peril trope.  Why can't they just be doctors with patients?

Has Shaun ever been a patient at the hospital?  I can't remember.  It could be interesting to see the shoe on the other foot.  But otherwise?  Just let them be doctors without always endangering their lives.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

Happy AAPI Heritage Month, y'all.  too bad you're dead (probably -- no spoilers)

And dumped by a blonde again, Park (probably)

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, izabella said:

I'm really tired of the doctors in peril trope.  Why can't they just be doctors with patients?

Has Shaun ever been a patient at the hospital?  I can't remember.  It could be interesting to see the shoe on the other foot.  But otherwise?  Just let them be doctors without always endangering their lives.

TV writers are so "good" at recycling, they should be put in charge of the companies that are destroying the planet. At least the island of trash in the ocean would not exist and since all life begins in the water, the human race have a chance to survive for more than one generation.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I don't want Lim to die, either. But if they do kill her off, it will make more narrative sense (highlighting the danger of domestic abusers) than when they killed Melendez, which seemed to be just for the fun of losing a popular character, and writing themselves out of the inappropriate relationship corner they'd created for no good reason.

• Love 6
On 5/17/2022 at 3:09 PM, Beezella said:

Oh for F! sakes! Right before the end I was thinking, what was that warning at the beginning about mature audiences and domestic violence? I am wondering if that ending was tacked on after they found out they had been renewed for another season or if it was always planned that way. Without it, it would have been a lovely series finale.

I too loved Lea's wedding dress.

That warning cued me immediately that the target victim (from the preview) was the nurse (no one else fit), then the scene opened with her making breakfast for Lim. 

• Love 1
On 5/16/2022 at 11:04 PM, Annber03 said:

At first, I was somewhat annoyed to hear it (didn’t they use it in “Love, Actually” also?). But then I thought about the dialogue and interaction between Glassman and Shawn as they prepared for the ceremony. Also thought about what an a$$ Glassy made of himself during his drunken speech at their engagement party. Seeing Glassy watch them dancing to the song, it seemed like the song applied to Shawn and Glassman, as both have been enriched by the relationship (and if you think about the troubled relationship between the song’s author and HIS father, it’s even more poignant). 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Daff said:

At first, I was somewhat annoyed to hear it (didn’t they use it in “Love, Actually” also?). But then I thought about the dialogue and interaction between Glassman and Shawn as they prepared for the ceremony. Also thought about what an a$$ Glassy made of himself during his drunken speech at their engagement party. Seeing Glassy watch them dancing to the song, it seemed like the song applied to Shawn and Glassman, as both have been enriched by the relationship (and if you think about the troubled relationship between the song’s author and HIS father, it’s even more poignant). 

have always loved the song

have no idea what that relationship was about

• Love 1
(edited)

I spent all episode waiting for the abusive husband to show up, I clocked him as the flower delivery man right away, but I expected him to shoot up the wedding, not to stab Lim and Nurse Villanueva while everyone else was partying upstairs. It was pretty tense, even when all of the sweet moments were happening I kept waiting for that other shoe to drop, I guess now we have to wait all summer to see what happens. Will Lim and/or Villanueva survive? Will Morgan move away? Tune in next season to find out! This season started off rough, but I think it got it back together by the end and gave us a solid finale. 

I was really glad to see Asher's family at last, and that he got to make peace with them. Even if they probably wont ever really understand him, its clear that they still love Asher and its really nice that he got talk to his dad before he passes, letting them both know how they feel about each other. Their goodbye really did feel powerful, the actors did a lot of great subtle work. 

Shaun and Glassman saying they love each other and Shaun saying that Glassman is a good dad really got me good, suddenly there were onions everywhere. The wedding itself was nice, I guessed that Shaun and Lea would end up deciding to do some kind of a real wedding, maybe they just should have saved the time and money and just had the tv wedding? At least there might not have been a stabbing.

Was everyone at the hospital at the wedding? Why was it apparently abandoned when Lim went down and found her friend? I am guessing Lim survives but Villanueva dies and Lim angsts a bunch about not being able to save her. Not sure about Morgan leaving, I hope that they don't get rid of too many characters. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6