Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Family Meeting

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Beth and Sophie accurately predicting how The Big Meeting would go, right down to the Randall/Kevin pissing contest, is already the best part of the episode.

That scene was so funny!  And then Philip commenting as a 'new" member of the family.  Loved Kate's robotic kitty :)

• Love 7
(edited)

"Toby and Lauren" are watching the kids. Guess they did meet before the "should I be there?" call.

The spouses narrating the siblings' conversation from the cabin was great.

Poor Philip. It's okay; he's new.

"Two winners, one dud. Kinda like Hanson."

"They're both better at losing their teeth." I was so bad at losing my teeth I had to have half of them pulled. (That's only a slight exaggeration.)

"You're gonna leave them both in the dust." "Well maybe Kevin." Little Kate was too cute in that scene.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Beth and Sophie accurately predicting how The Big Meeting would go, right down to the Randall/Kevin pissing contest, is already the best part of the episode.

Comedy gold!

11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Kate got her masters and is designing curriculum for the state. Huh.

Exactly what my son and I said.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

The robotic kitties are a hit or miss.    Depending on the stage, daily social interaction can be beneficial.  If the person is mobile, classes with others where they having games, music, stretching,……can be helpful.  Thats the down side to staying in an isolated home.  Even senior center visits would be helpful.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
(edited)
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Damn this show. They're gonna get me in the end, aren't they? 😢

They always do.

Loved the call with Toby and Kate and how supportive he was.

The first five minutes broke my heart with Rebecca asking for Miguel and the last montage destroyed me. Between that we needed Beth and Sophie mocking the drama even if it was kind of rude in light of the situation. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 17

How old did Madison and Elijah's son or daughter seem to you? Three or four? I'm trying to place exactly where in the timeline Miguel died.

Beth, Sophie and Philip in the original cabin, and the fact that Kate called Toby to talk it out with him instead of first talking to Phillip, highlighted to me just how rushed Kate and Kevin's new relationships were.

• Useful 6
  • Love 16
(edited)
1 minute ago, Crs97 said:

Yes, his self-righteous speech to Beth and Sophie.  If he and Randall spend too much time in the same room together I assume the smug factor will cause the earth to explode.

He was empathizing with Kate, watching her walking with Rebecca.  I'll allow it.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16

Baby Kate falling out of bed when Rebecca fell asleep reminds me of the story my Mom told me of when I slid out of her arms when she held me in the rocking chair. She never forgot that thump of me hitting the floor. 🤣🤣

• Love 5
Just now, Arcadiasw said:

Baby Kate falling out of bed when Rebecca fell asleep reminds me of the story my Mom told me of when I slid out of her arms when she held me in the rocking chair. She never forgot that thump of me hitting the floor. 🤣🤣

I think every parent of an infant has been there, done that. (Nodded off in the rocking chair and jerking awake)

1 minute ago, 3 is enough said:

I am confused.  Didn’t Kate have an associate’s degree?  She had time for a four year undergrad degree AND a master’s ?  How much time has passed?

I’m guessing in the five (ish) year time jump between when she got divorced and remarried, she at least got her bachelors, which would have only been a couple of years more if she went full time. Many masters programs are one to two years, but then you actually need experience on the job before you’re doing a top level job like that. 🙄

• Love 14

Ok why was Madison and Elijah there? I mean if they are going to bring in ex's, I'm shocked Toby and his wife were not there.

Also surprised that Kevin didn't eventually buy the Chinese restaurant.  I mean they made it seem like they took out from there 2xs a day at least.

Looks like they will be able to tie up loose ends in 2 episodes.  Super shocked about that one.

• Love 7

I wish this was the finale.  I don’t want to see Rebecca slowly dying over the next two episodes. I don’t need to see where all the minor characters end up, spouses, greatgrandchildren,etc.  

• Love 13
(edited)

18 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

How old did Madison and Elijah's son or daughter seem to you? Three or four? I'm trying to place exactly where in the timeline Miguel died.

Madison was pregnant during Kate's engagement party and by the time of the wedding, she given birth. Her son looked about 3ish. Rebecca is going to die in a couple of years after this.

Man, Kevin a hard two years because he aged 15 years at least.

I kind of wish we saw Dr K.

Edited by nilyank
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5

It strained credulity to me that Rebecca could tell Randall that she's the tooth fairy and he wouldn't tell Kate and Kevin. I mean, he was what, 6 years old for crying out loud? No six year old is that mature, not even perfect Randall.

Why was Kate talking to Toby about what was going on at the cabin? Is Toby is that therapy cat for Kate; just there to be her emotional support animal? I get that he knows the family but still...no.

I also thought it odd that Madison and Elijah were there but then when they revealed the final plan, it made more sense. I thought for a minute that Kevin/Sophie and Madison/Elijah had a special arrangement. Sophie being the clear loser in that scenario. Sorry, Elijah.

Nicky is always funny but man, weren't his pants tight? Am I the only one who noticed that?

8 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

And Jack woke Rebecca up from desperately needed sleep when Kevin crapped the bed - instead of cleaning it up himself.

Right? When he said to Rebecca "we have a situation here.. I thought WE? I'm pretty sure you can clean up after your own damn kid, Jack.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 16

I laughed out loud at the crib “snow angel” incident.  My youngest had a similar incident when he was a baby in his crib, and I was out grocery shopping.  My husband still talks about having to clean him up and the bedding up to this day 😂.

He was a pro, though.  Changed both our kids’ first meconium diapers.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I wasn’t as bothered by Madison and Elijah moving east as I expected.  In today’s world I know so many people who have decided to move because their job is now remote and they can work anywhere. 

Also, Los Angeles is stupid expensive. They'll get more bang for their buck in Pennsylvania. 

• Love 15

Another good episode. So sad to see Rebecca a shell of what she was.

For all Kevin’s talk about being left out, it’s always Kate and Kevin vs. Randall at first. I do feel a little bad about that. Probably why Rebecca overcompensated with Randall. But she gave him an ego the size of Texas. She should have treated him like how she treated Kate (slightly hands off), Kevin like how she treated Randall (too soft) and Kate how she treated Kevin (tough love). But eh, I guess it worked out.

Love Beth and Sophie making fun, Beth making Randall see his siblings how they grew to be and Toby’s pep talk. 

I wish they had mentioned Miguel the person a little and not just how he helped them with Rebecca.

I hope we get a little more substance to Jack before the end. Poor Milo has nothing to work with. But in the same vein I’m loving that the story turned into Rebecca’s story. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Agreed!

However, I wasn't impressed by Newbie Phillip inserting himself in their conversation and berating them for their words.  

• Love 11
(edited)

Yes, never mind Saint Jack. It’s always been Saint Rebecca, and I mean that in the best way.

I really liked the juxtaposition of Rebecca caring for the Big Three over the years, and now it’s their turn to care for her. She can care for 3 kids pretty much by herself for 20 years, and it takes 3 of them to care for her for a few years. 

It is true that an advantage of a dementia patient being in a good nursing home is that they have interaction and activities with people their own age, and they’re surrounded by professionals 24/7. And it’s not so demanding on the family.

The dementia they’ve shown on this show is not like any dementia I’ve seen. Both my mother (90) and MIL (99) are dealing with it and both are in nursing homes, thank god. There’s anger, crying, 20 phone calls in one morning to come pick them up, repeating the same story 5 times in 20 minutes, weird obsessions with clothes and food, etc. etc. Don’t tell me they wouldn’t be like that if they lived with one of us; our homes aren’t their familiar turf either. 

Several posters comment on the nerve of “newbie” Philip commenting on Beth and Sophie’s opinions. How is Philip more of a newbie than Sophie? She came back into the picture at Kate and Philip’s wedding, so he was there around Rebecca and her dementia a few years before Sophie. Yes, Sophie was there in the early years, but there were many years between. 

So 2 episodes left? I guess one will be Rebecca’s death and them dealing with it. What will the other one be about? 

Edited by Shermie
  • Useful 5
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, Shermie said:

The dementia they’ve shown on this show is not like any dementia I’ve seen.

My MIL has reached the point that Mandy’s portrayal  looks like her.  After many years of difficulty, she is now pretty nonverbal and seems content to sit quietly and watch the world go by.  We know we are blessed.

• Love 8