Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E11: Legacy

Bort
  • Start Topic

While Meredith, Amelia and the team prepare for Dr. Hamilton’s long-awaited, groundbreaking surgery, Bailey receives an unexpected offer. Owen’s impatience makes him a difficult physical therapy patient, forcing Link to intervene. In Minnesota, Nick makes a liver transplant a teaching moment.

Airdate: 10 March 2022

Why is Mer's boytoy always traveling while talking on the phone with her? At least twice he's been driving (once in a snowstorm), tonight he's riding his bike. I keep waiting for him to crash into a tree or get run over by a bus mid-call.

Did he say "I'm off with the team to pick [the liver] up"? What is it with this show and surgeons providing transportation for organs? (Oh, I guess he's doing the surgery to remove it, as well. Is it in the same hospital? Is his patient going to wake up singing?)

"Are we sure all these people even work here?" I wonder the same thing, when seemingly every doctor in the place is watching a surgery. Who's treating their patients?

I have no interest in watching Bailey's pet suck up to her.

Who's watching Mer's kids this time?

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 11

Well, I guess he isn’t Bailey’s secret son.  

So how does Meredith justify flying to Minnesota instead of spending time with her kids when her patient and the whole team are in Seattle!

Owen is an idiot.   

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

Someone besides Nico worried about Schmidt this week and made the effort to go to talk to him. Yay. Good on Richard for telling Schmidt that there were ways for him to help people that didn't mean surgery.

Meredith flew to Seattle on a whim after her surgery? Do Maggie and Amelia ever get notice beforehand that they have to be the parents? And I think we discovered the reason Kai stayed in research and isn't patient-forward, if her behavior in the OR is anything to go by.  

Bailey and her creepy little shadow resident is going to turn into some Lifetime stalker storyline, isn't it?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 13

Man, this episode has to be the most boring thing I've watched on TV in the past 20 years.  Yawn.  Can they put us out of our misery and end the series now?

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

No matter how good a doctor Bailey is, no way someone in her physical shape would be asked to go to space.  

Or with her physical and mental health history.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

No matter how good a doctor Bailey is, no way someone in her physical shape would be asked to go to space.  

Are you looking for realism on this show?

So the project was super secret and for months and then suddenly everyone on the show is allowed to watch?

• LOL 7

Meredith V/O: Surgical instruments are named after their inventors."  (Me: so are screwdrivers., what's your points? I'm really starting to have this beginning and end voice overs, they're so blithering.)

Why is NASA asking a middle-aged general surgeon  to run their clinical training program? Maybe find someone who knows aerospace and oxygenation to train them. And who doesn't Bailey's health issues. and more transferable skills.

Why did someone have to die for Nick's patient to get a new liver? Liver can be live donations. The writers are desperately trying to make Nick relevant.

How is Schmidt allowed to just not show up and still keep his job?

No way the project loses funding if Amelia isn't operating. That's not how funding works.

The music that played over Nick's surgery was Una furtiva lagrima, the aria that James sang for his audition.

"Una furtiva lagrima" (A furtive tear) is the romanza from act 2, scene 3 of the Italian opera L'elisir d'amore by Gaetano Donizetti. It is sung by Nemorino (tenor) when it appears that the love potion he bought to win the heart of his dream lady, Adina, is working. He loves Adina, but she is not interested in an innocent, rustic man such as he. To win her heart, he buys a love potion with all the money he has in his pocket. It is actually a cheap red wine sold by a traveling quack doctor—but when he sees Adina weeping, he assumes the "elixir" has worked and she has fallen in love with him.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Why did someone have to die for Nick's patient to get a new liver? Liver can be live donations. The writers are desperately trying to make Nick relevant.

I wondered why half of the show was about Nick's patient and the transplant surgery, when he is the only character in Seattle and only vaguely connected to Meredith. Their scenes, separately and together, are so disconnected from everything else in the show's universe.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Why is Mer's boytoy always traveling while talking on the phone with her? At least twice he's been driving (once in a snowstorm), tonight he's riding his bike

People of a certain age might remember flashback I got when seeing him on bike in winter…thirtysomething’s Gary sprung immediately to mind. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I wondered why half of the show was about Nick's patient and the transplant surgery, when he is the only character in Seattle and only vaguely connected to Meredith. Their scenes, separately and together, are so disconnected from everything else in the show's universe.

Spin off?

And I was thinking some more about Bailey in Space.   With her age, health history, overall fitness level, and area of specialization, she wouldn’t have gotten past the first round of evaluations or even been brought in for an interview if she’d applied   No way she would be recruited, even by a friend    

And another factor…why recruit Bailey when the Sun has just cured Parkinson’s and will be looking for another challenge (and reason to be away from her kids)?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Owen is such a self-pitying ass and so is Teddy. They are just a vortex of misery.

The drama with Amelia wanting to leave the surgery was stupid. In what universe does someone page a surgeon who is already doing a surgery? That was just manufactured suspense.

The way the music cut out when Bailey's pet kissed her was hilarious.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Probably to say "hey, Nick is part of the main cast! Even if he doesn't live in Seattle, he matters too!" Except they're gonna have to find a way to bring him to Seattle if they want him to stick around for next season, as he's very much disconnected from the rest of the cast and it's an issue in terms of what screentime he gets. If he gets too little, he feels like a glorified recurring character. If he gets too much, it takes away from other characters and if he's not interacting with Meredith, it's definitely distracting.

Bailey in Space? Random, but alright. At this point, the show has long past jumped the shark into space anyway, so I'm just rolling with it. 

And no surprise Wright kissed Bailey. He has been dotingly staring at Bailey since he got to Seattle, so I expected a one sided crush storyline. Actually, my first thought was "is this gonna be the first obsessive stalker arc who eventually kidnaps Bailey out of his love for her?" I think one of the few storylines they haven't covered is a doctor getting kidnapped/a doctor having a stalker. So I was totally expecting it to go a similar way.

Apparently, the hospital had no other neurosurgeons to go operate on Owen. His ex wife had to be called, because that's totally appropriate.

I'm glad Richard went to talk to Schmitt, but Schmitt's still blaming himself, and Richard hasn't seen that he helped cause all of this, or won't admit to it. 

Glad Jo got rid of the shitty platinum blonde hair and went back to normal. Not so interested in Jo/Link.

• Love 10

Forgot to mention…what kind of doctor performs ground breaking surgery and then flies 1500 miles?   Don’t the usually stick around a few days in case of, you know, complications!   Or other patients who might need you with the hospital being so short staffed   

Also, Bailey mentioned being another surgeon short because Richard disappeared.   Another professional move.  As much as I liked Richard trying to help Schmitt, he just walked away from the hospital and his responsibilities.  

• Love 11

I simply do not understand this show's investment in Schmidt. Do they think he's the new George? He is neither endearing nor competent enough to fill those shoes. After Nico and Richard found him down in mom's basement playing video games telling everyone to go kick rocks they should have written him off. Period. He's had about a dozen second chances by now, enough is enough with this guy.

Well, if William Shatner can go . . . 

And another factor…why recruit Bailey when the Sun has just cured Parkinson’s 

I've been thinking about this and I'll be interested to see if Hamilton is actually "cured" or if the experiment fails. I know this show doesn't adhere to realism but thus far they have never invented a miracle cure for something that doesn't actually exist in real life, and I think they'd prefer to steer clear of doing that. Otherwise they'd be doing stories about curing cancer and Alzheimers and all sorts of things.

Also there's no way they would have done this surgery on Hamilton without shaving his head but of course I'm sure Peter Gallagher doesn't want to go bald.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Also there's no way they would have done this surgery on Hamilton without shaving his head but of course I'm sure Peter Gallagher doesn't want to go bald.

That drove me crazy. When they put that brace on his head over his hair, I went fully "WTF?"

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Apparently, the hospital had no other neurosurgeons to go operate on Owen. His ex wife had to be called, because that's totally appropriate.

I apparently wasn't paying much attention because I still don't even know what was wrong with Owen that needed a neurosurgeon.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Glad Jo got rid of the shitty platinum blonde hair and went back to normal. 

...I didn't notice that, either...

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Forgot to mention…what kind of doctor performs ground breaking surgery and then flies 1500 miles?   Don’t the usually stick around a few days in case of, you know, complications!  

I was bored and not paying full attention  so I may be incorrect here - did The Sun actually do any of the surgery? She was narrating it for those in the gallery but it seemed like the others did the actual surgery. It still makes no sense to me why she's even involved as she's a general surgeon. It's so dumb that she took off to Minnesota after the surgery was moved to Seattle. I also don't get why so much time in the episode was devoted to Nick doing a surgery we've seen 20x over the years. 

Schmidt is like Izzie after the LVAD or Derek when he went to the woods. He'll be back. Let's just hope we don't have an episode where he stands outside the hospital all day ala Izzie. I'm hoping Bailey will recommend they take Schmidt & her creepy boy stalker to space in her place.

There's not one couple on this show that I root for or have any interest in watching. I loved Amelia/Link but they ruined that. 

I did like that Jo fixed her hair.

• Love 7

I think I must have missed it.  Did they show Teddy confronting the soldier's wife at the car? 

Glad they had Jo admit her hair was a big mistake and changed it.  Much, much better.

Schmidt should give up surgery and go into general practice.  There's no reason he has to be a surgeon, and no reason he can't do something else.   Why did he even want to be a surgeon anyway?  So many ways to be a doctor.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Who's watching Mer's kids this time?

Haha! The children are pretty much ghosts. They only exist in the minds of the audience. Seems the viewers care more about them than their "mother" does. It doesn't bother me. The show should have never given Mere children in the first place. So like Mere --I just forget about them.

There was one shot of the doc that mere is sleeping with -- whatshisname -- and I did a double take - he looked so much like Derek! I see what attracts her to him. Meredith has a type,

I pretty much don't care about anyone else. 

But I will say - what! what? Bailey in space? say it ain't so!

• Love 4

For a show that was built on relationships, the ones active on screen are written so shallowly right now. We are getting nothing from Linc about Jo and all we have from her is how wonderful sex with your best friend is.  I can't understand the attraction of Amelia to Kai other than intellectual because Kai is rather a nothing personality (and they should have had lots of practice presenting to other in grad school and conferences so what's with the inability to speak to residents?) and Meredith/Nick seems to be about sex and shared roles and there's nothing there that grabs me to want to root for them.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:54 AM, DEL901 said:

Forgot to mention…what kind of doctor performs ground breaking surgery and then flies 1500 miles?   Don’t the usually stick around a few days in case of, you know, complications!   Or other patients who might need you with the hospital being so short staffed   

Also, Bailey mentioned being another surgeon short because Richard disappeared.   Another professional move.  As much as I liked Richard trying to help Schmitt, he just walked away from the hospital and his responsibilities.  

Is Richard still performing surgeries? I thought that there was a problem and he was just teaching now. But if he is, he should have had a full schedule booked for those days. How are patients going to feel, not getting their surgeries? They're also filling up valuable hospital beds.

Meredith immediately leaving and flying to Nick because "he's the person I want to celebrate with" is squicks. Not her children, not her firends, not even Amelia and Kai who she did the study with.  In an episode filled with self-centred people (Owen thinking that he needs to work because no one can take his place, Teddy unable to forgive Owen this (WTH?) when he's forgiven her for so much, Bailey being offered a place in space, Richard bailing on his surgeries to go after Schmidt, Schmidt bailing on everything including his fellow residents), this take the prize.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:56 AM, iMonrey said:

Well, if William Shatner can go . . .

He went as a guest of a billionaire and was only up briefly. GA is trying to make us believe that Bailey would actually be part of the real NASA s[pce program.

Agree that they should have written Schmidt off long ago.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:48 AM, ams1001 said:

I apparently wasn't paying much attention because I still don't even know what was wrong with Owen that needed a neurosurgeon.

He was leaking CS fluid. I guess that the hospital only has one neurosurgeon. Even The Resident has two.

At least they lampshaded Jo's hair back to something not frightening.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

such a blah episode

I really thought Meredith's boyfriend was going to get smashed by a car while riding his bike. Way too many scenes of him driving etc. and calling. Just plant him in Seattle already so we have the possibility of a range of scenes.

I have been wishes for Glasses to get run over or something for about as long as he has been on the show. Please get him to move to staff some clinic in some other state. He brings nothing good to the show and never has. 

Owen both freaking out for not being able to help people but also refusing to do what was needed to get back to helping people was weird. 

I realize we don't want to see a bunch of shows with kids or watch our people run routine chores but always cracks me up when they are all "this is my first day of in 35 days and I'm going to spend it in a bar." Real life for me if I've worked a long time with no breaks is "this is my first day off; I'm getting some extra sleep, doing laundry, straightening out the house, and catching up on lots of random parts of life." 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
43 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I can't understand the attraction of Amelia to Kai other than intellectual because Kai is rather a nothing personality (and they should have had lots of practice presenting to other in grad school and conferences so what's with the inability to speak to residents?)

The only thing I’ve picked up from Amelia is that she loves drama and excitement. Owen gave this to her in that they always fought. Linc at the start with the pregnancy etc gave her the drama. A relationship with Kai would be a brand new experience and this gives her excitement. Once the novelty wears off it’ll be over and she’ll be back Mooning over Linc.. probably once he and Jo make it official. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I simply do not understand this show's investment in Schmidt. Do they think he's the new George?

Oh yuck, this is it. They totally think he's the new George. That is... misguided at best.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

For a show that was built on relationships, the ones active on screen are written so shallowly right now.

There are so many people that could be interacting for whatever reason that just don't. I don't believe any of them are friends. I miss the days where a bunch of them lived in the same building, or went out together, or carpooled, or played baseball, or whatever. It gave them meaningful interactions outside of the hospital which made the drama IN the hospital that much more compelling. Bring back friendships, Grey's!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, taanja said:

There was one shot of the doc that mere is sleeping with -- whatshisname -- and I did a double take - he looked so much like Derek! I see what attracts her to him. Meredith has a type,

This. When he came to the door looking like he just woke up, I could have sworn he was Derek!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I realize we don't want to see a bunch of shows with kids or watch our people run routine chores but always cracks me up when they are all "this is my first day of in 35 days and I'm going to spend it in a bar." Real life for me if I've worked a long time with no breaks is "this is my first day off; I'm getting some extra sleep, doing laundry, straightening out the house, and catching up on lots of random parts of life." 

Right? I worked six days last week, so I'm off today to make up for working last Sunday. I had a drink last night (but at home, while I watched this mess of a show, actually), but when I went to bed I turned off my alarm so I could sleep until whenever (which turned out to be around 9 am) and I've been puttering around (the house and the internet, alternately) all day.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, shantown said:

There are so many people that could be interacting for whatever reason that just don't. I don't believe any of them are friends. I miss the days where a bunch of them lived in the same building, or went out together, or carpooled, or played baseball, or whatever. It gave them meaningful interactions outside of the hospital which made the drama IN the hospital that much more compelling. Bring back friendships, Grey's!

And then they have forced friendships/interactions just because two people happen to be in the same place at the same time. Have Teddy and Jo ever spoken before today?

• Love 3

What was with switching back and forth between Seattle and Minnesota?  I didn't care about Nick doing a liver transplant whatsoever.  I thought it was only because one of them (Nick or his patient) was going to die in some dramatic fashion...  but really it was for... nothing!  Waste of time.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

What was with switching back and forth between Seattle and Minnesota?  I didn't care about Nick doing a liver transplant whatsoever.  I thought it was only because one of them (Nick or his patient) was going to die in some dramatic fashion...  but really it was for... nothing!  Waste of time.

This whole season has been a waste of time.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, taanja said:

Haha! The children are pretty much ghosts. They only exist in the minds of the audience. Seems the viewers care more about them than their "mother" does. It doesn't bother me. The show should have never given Mere children in the first place. So like Mere --I just forget about them.

Maybe the children are actually imaginary and the symptoms of Mer's creeping alzheimers, not her boyfriend.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I agree with others that this was a boring ep. For this supposedly being such a high-stakes surgery, I had no feeling of "Will they succeed? Will they fail? Will he die on the table or end up worse off than how he started?" I just didn't care at all.

I was more invested in Nick's liver transplant, and that's just because the guy was young. Plus the way they were showing it, I was expecting something to go wrong there. It did feel like it was taking place on another show.

Owen, honestly, I was rooting for him to die. Or push himself too far and end up with a permanent injury that would leave him unable to operate (I think this is just something they patch up and it's fine after a certain amount of time, right?)

Don't care about Linc and Jo. Don't care about Amelia and Kai (I guess next week we'll get to see them singing? Maybe that will give them sort sort of personality? Somehow, I still have my doubts.)

And don't care about Meredith and Nick. I was also expecting Nick to get hit by a car.

And Schmitt? Yeah, just be a different kind of doctor. This show seems to act like if you can't be a surgeon for whatever reason, you're no longer a doctor, like your med school just gets erased. Maybe you'd need to do another residency or something, depending on your specialty? But it's not like starting from scratch.

• Love 6
On 3/11/2022 at 2:22 AM, pennben said:

People of a certain age might remember flashback I got when seeing him on bike in winter…thirtysomething’s Gary sprung immediately to mind. 

OMG, you’re absolutely right—that must be why I immediately thought he was going to get hit by a bus when he rode off on his bike.  The Gary-related trauma, it runs deep.  I was so bereft that My college dorm-mates thought someone had actually died.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

that must be why I immediately thought he was going to get hit by a bus when he rode off on his bike.

I always think that whenever a character is controlling any kind of vehicle while talking on the phone.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, izabella said:

Schmidt should give up surgery and go into general practice. 

3 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

And Schmitt? Yeah, just be a different kind of doctor. This show seems to act like if you can't be a surgeon for whatever reason, you're no longer a doctor, like your med school just gets erased. Maybe you'd need to do another residency or something, depending on your specialty? But it's not like starting from scratch.

Considering Schmitt used to have such a gag reaction to any kind of blood, why is he even in surgery?? He should have been weeded out a LONG time ago. There was another resident who was in his class, the former computer hacker. What ever happened to that doctor?

• Love 14

The good part about this episode: Jo's hair. The bad part about this episode: the rest. Although - I did like Nick (whose name I finally know) talking with the parents of the transplant donor. Can't stand the adoring resident/Bailey storyline. 

• Love 5
On 3/10/2022 at 6:07 PM, ams1001 said:

Did he say "I'm off with the team to pick [the liver] up"? What is it with this show and surgeons providing transportation for organs? (Oh, I guess he's doing the surgery to remove it, as well. Is it in the same hospital? Is his patient going to wake up singing?)

Yes, there are people who pick up the cooler and travel with the organ. But with this show surgeons are doing nurse duties too.

Edited by nokat
8 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

He would most certainly need to start another residency if he switched fields.  Some specialties might allow him to bypass the intern year since he already did an intern year (+3), but otherwise he would be starting over. As an MD, he could also explore routes without patient care or a license (teaching, publishing, insurance, research, etc.), and those would not necessarily need a completed residency, though his standing and opportunities would improve with the program finished and especially with board certification.

4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Considering Schmitt used to have such a gag reaction to any kind of blood, why is he even in surgery?? He should have been weeded out a LONG time ago. There was another resident who was in his class, the former computer hacker. What ever happened to that doctor?

Schmitt's residency class attrition has only been rivaled by Jo's. From what I can remember offhand (and forgive me that I've forgotten the others' names), only he and Helm remain from his starting year. There was the woman who'd previously known DeLuca and left fearing deportation just after they resumed boinking all over the hospital. There was the Muslim one who quit in protest when Meredith was fired for insurance fraud. And the transgender military one who I believe just faded out of existence (maybe he's hanging with Meredith & Lexie's other sister?).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Calling it now: The Webber Method will be reborn as a video game. Richard will engage Schmidt to consult on it, because something, something, handwave.

Bonus: Wouldn’t surprise me if Schmidt will be put in some kind of situation where he has to perform surgery. 

• LOL 6
15 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

I agree with others that this was a boring ep. For this supposedly being such a high-stakes surgery, I had no feeling of "Will they succeed? Will they fail? Will he die on the table or end up worse off than how he started?" I just didn't care at all.

I was more invested in Nick's liver transplant, and that's just because the guy was young. Plus the way they were showing it, I was expecting something to go wrong there. It did feel like it was taking place on another show.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that was more interested in Nick’s plot rather than the regulars. At least Nick’s plot line was thoughtful and showed that he’s a competent, caring doctor, which is short in supply on this show. It was a nice touch to play the opera song while operating.

I hate that Webber spent all of his time with Schmidt. Webber deserves better. I cannot express how much I don’t care about Schmidt’s crisis. Owen’s storyline was so stupid. “They need me out there helping!” “Well, then do your physical therapy!” “No!” Me: WTF? 

I hate that the new resident’s storyline became creepy! Boo! 

This show is ass, yet I continue to watch.

• Love 6

I wasted 40 minutes on this shit?

On 3/11/2022 at 2:08 PM, RedbirdNelly said:

I really thought Meredith's boyfriend was going to get smashed by a car while riding his bike. Way too many scenes of him driving etc. and calling.

YES!!  Then Meredith can be one to pull his plug and not tell anyone in his family!!!!  C'mon, we got Jo to change that scarecrow hair, let's make this happen, people!!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 3/11/2022 at 3:38 AM, LexieLily said:

Why does Teddy still have Tom's number still programmed into her phone?

He's her boss' boss' boss. I forgot what his job is. But I think she would have his number for work.

Edited by BoogieBurns

I only half-watched this, and totally forgot it was on, until I saw the forum lit up. I can't believe she ran off to Minnesota, to celebrate with this guy. I also wonder how she just ditches her kids on the others, who are also hard-working surgeons. Unless they have a good babysitter that we just don't get to see. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

There was another resident who was in his class, the former computer hacker. What ever happened to that doctor?

Parker disappeared around the time covid hit the series. I miss him. I loved Parker

• Love 9
48 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

He's her boss' boss' boss. I forgot what his job is. But I think she would have his number for work.

I wouldn't wish Teddy on anyone. For me it's Tom (and the actor). I like his snark and he adds so much to the show. Owen is just too over the top cray cray and Amelia I don't like much.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:
On 3/11/2022 at 1:38 AM, LexieLily said:

Why does Teddy still have Tom's number still programmed into her phone?

Didn't he run off with Jackson to help the Catherine Fox Foundation become more active in diversity & equal rights or whatever?  Tom is no longer in any chain of command at Grey-Sloan, although he was the "chief of chiefs" (sigh, that dumb title) before Richard. 

As for Teddy still having his number, I'd assume she's like many of us who just retain a bunch of numbers in their phones. I still have numbers from people I met briefly over a decade ago since it seems more cumbersome than not to go through the contact list and delete them. Plus, they were still more or less amicable as colleagues after they split, and even with Grey's warped timeline, it's only been months since Tom left the hospital.

• Love 6