Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: The Right Thing

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

That's what I am saying. We want something reminiscent to the original run (the squad room) and not a makeover (the courtroom).

Ohhh! Sorry, I misunderstood!

OH! Another thing that bugged: the “CHUNG-CHUNG!” is the STAPLE OF this show! I did NOT Appreciate or Like that the tag that led to the first court scene has that annoying music instead of “CHUNG-CHUNG!!”

Whaaat??

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I have a lot of thoughts on the premiere, here they are -

Overall a solid effort - certainly not flawless but a solid start to the revival of my favorite show of all time. The case was good, it was clearly ripped from the headlines with the victim being based on Bill Cosby, and it was a solid investigation and solid legal stuff..

So overall this was mostly promising - the classic L&O formula of investigation/legal proceedings is back, the case was intriguing, the characters have good chemistry and are promising, and it’s awesome to have my favorite show ever back. I loathe what they did to Jamie, but she isn’t going to be a regular so that won’t affect the show going forward. Certainly not a flawless outing but a pretty good start to season 21!!

I agree with this. It was very promising and I'm willing to give them a little time to figure out what needs to be tweaked and to adjust some of the elements as they go. As we've discussed before this has pretty much always been a part of the show, but they're usually not replacing so many characters at once. And I think that the promos were pretty honest that they want to stick with the classic formula with only minor updates - basically what the show might be if it had never gone off the air. I would say the one classic element that I really really really missed was the cold opening with the body being discovered during some very prototypical NYC activity. I know that they did switch it up occasionally during the original run, but those scenes were often comic gems and this opening was a little too CI or SVU for my tastes and that formula would have done a lot for me to really emphasize that the mothership was back and doing what it does best right from the start.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 22
2 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I would say the one classic element that I really really really missed was the cold opening with the body being discovered during some very prototypical NYC activity. I know that they did switch it up occasionally during the original run, but those scenes were often comic gems and this opening was a little too CI or SVU for my tastes and that formula would have done a lot for me to really emphasize that the mothership was back and doing what it does best right from the start.

THIS 💯%!!!! 

• Love 12

• Dancy was the star.  Fine acting, at ease with the part, and hid his English accent nicely.  As opposed to…

• Halevi, whose Israeli accent was audible all episode long.  When she referenced "Georgia", I didn't know whether she meant the Peach State or the Caucasus republic.  (Still don't, really.). We need some background on the character.  If they're going to tell us she's NYC born-and-bred, it's going to be the silliest bit of casting since Unforgettable tried to tell us Poppy Montgomery was from Syracuse, even though her Aussie accent was loud and proud.

And that "remember the story you told me" plot device was dangerously close to deus ex machina territory.  They should have discussed the possibility of having her do the cross on Nicole much earlier, rather than saving her for summation.

• Manheim was mostly fine in her limited role.  But how did she pronounce "during" as "doo-ring"?  Couldn't they have gone back and fixed that?

She also doesn't look as if she's aged a day since 4.20 "Nurture".  Wow.

• I had no problem with Bernard and Cosgrove, except for Cosgrove being a jackass.  But the cops must have gotten dozens of illegal confessions on this show over seasons (Ed's first episode, "Gunshow", featured him sympathizing with and cajoling the heck out the incel shooter to get a nice juicy confession…which was tossed during the commercial break, lmao), and they all get to keep their jobs (heresy:  I don't think Lennie was a particularly good cop, either), so I just chalk it up as par for the course.  I get that they want the confession as the climax to Act II…and then the episodes basically reset as we go over to the "Order" part of the show.

Hey, this is Season 21; I'm willing to concede a bit of formula, even if I know it makes no sense.

• Jack, Jack, Jack…you've been doing this job for 53 years; do you really need Nolan Price to tell you that you make your moral decisions on a case-by-case basis?  I mean, isn't that pretty much "duh" territory?

And wtf is "if it's legal, it's ethical"???  I'm pretty sure if we worked at it, we could come up with plenty of counter-examples.  You'd think that Jack might recall how he and Jamie and Serena all ended up in front of the Disciplinary Committee at one time or another.  Not to mention Connie getting called out in "Strike" for "impersonating" an ADA when she was working as the defense counsel, or Norah threatening to take Judge Ron McLarty to the Presiding Judge (11.03, "Dissonance"), or Adam getting the judge in "I.D." hauled in for a lecture, or…

I mean, come on now.

• It was lovely to see Jamie again.  But I agree that the dinner scene should have been her and Jack; i mean, even Arthur had plenty of ex parte conversations with people he had previous relationships with.  And with her having worked under Jack for at least the past four years, he has a right to expect that one of his A.D.A.s wouldn't go off the reservation like that.  She's not just an old friend; she's part of Jack's staff, even if we're going to be following Price instead of her.

(That was a hell of an office, wasn't it?  I wonder if she negotiated it as part of her deal to leave private practice, this time around.)

Sadly, I'm wondering if they're limiting Waterston's scenes as a concession to his age.  Sam is 81, after all.  I hope not, but…

•. I wish that they had had Price cut off Nicole when she started talking about how evil Henry was and so on.  If you want to plead justification, fine.  But that's an affirmative defense; you don't get to claim that and self-defense.  In fact, he probably should have at least tried to get the judge to bar all testimony that supported justification;  if you want to claim an affirmative defense, you have to give the prosecution notice, as I understand it.

•. I don't believe the verdict.  It was pretty clear the jury knew she was guilty and had decided to nullify, anyway.  I didn't find Maroun's close compelling enough to get them to change their minds.  Seems as if they just wanted to give the prosecution a win to start off with.  Disappointing.

• What was with the weird editing choice to just track with Halevi in the final scene, to the point where Dancy drifts out of the frame at one point, even though he's speaking?  Sloppy work, IMO.

•.And I really hated that sledgehammer final shot of Price staring at the courthouse.  Even though Jack spoke of "bringing [Nolan] in", presumably he has enough experience that he knows what the job's about.  Corny as anything, I thought.

So, not the greatest start.  Probably no better than 6/10.

But just having the show back is 9/10 in my book, at least.  So I'll be generous, for a while, anyways.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, Prairie Rose said:

I also missed a suspect running away and the cops chasing after him/her. That's one of my all-time favorite L&O tropes!!!

I hope we get that in future episodes. As for the opening, it'll grow on me but I did like the entire cast being featured. I always wanted Van Buren to do the L&O walk and I missed Sam Waterston no longer being featured when he moved up to being DA. Doesn't look like the cast was filmed together doing the L&O walk. 😥

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

my plumper age-mates are not crippled with osteoporosis.

And here I thought that the reason my knee had run out of cartilage was because of having to haul my…substantial form around.  Huh.

I grant you my face is supple and unlined (not quite 61 yet, though), but I had no idea being plus-size was meant to be a plus in the fight against arthritis.  I want my rehab hospital fees back.  (Even at the Medicare rates; every bit counts.)

Of course everyone is different, etc. [/OT]

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

It kind of looked to me like Carey Lowell has simply aged naturally.  

I'd just say that she was 37 when she left the show in 1998, and she's 61 now.  People rarely look the same after so much time has passed.  I thought she looked just fine.  I too would have liked some explanation as to why she was an ADA again after having been a judge in the L&O continuity. 

I didn't love the episode.  I thought voluntarily excluding the confession was ridiculous.  No adult of average intelligence and sophistication is going to believe a cop that tells them they can confess to murder and go home.  It was like the writers realized they wrote themselves into a corner and the only way out was to have a character act completely unbelievably.  I was also curious if they filmed in a real courtroom, and that was the reason it was so much larger than the ones they used during the original run. 

I also think in reality a cop that purposefully ignores an ADA's instructions and tells the ADA off afterwards is not someone who is going to have a fruitful career in law enforcement.  A cop who is not going to be predictable on the stand is someone who will not be useful as a witness.   

I see they also added Watterson and Manheim to the end credit walking sequence.  Not sure what I think of that.    

Sadly, I'm wondering if they're limiting Waterston's scenes as a concession to his age.  Sam is 81, after all.  I hope not, but…

The DA's role on the show has usually been a reduced one.  In a given episode with Adam Schiff, I would guess he would have maybe 5-7 minutes of screentime, maybe a minute more if they were doing an end of episode phone call where someone calls Adam to let him know something horrible has happened right before the credits roll.

• Love 14

Not sure what to think yet. I know pilots are rarely good and there were a lot of new people. I do think Cosgrove went to far by saying that she'd go home and that no ADA would try her. Sure cops can lie but had he not said that it would have been fine. But he did. I was too busy thinking of twists and surprised when we didn't get any. I thought he did so on purpose to get her off for the crime. He was ticked that ADA messed up and they had to let the rapist go. I was also torn between thinking maybe his wife killed him given how much she hated him (why are you with him then?), or that it would turn out to be her husband who killed him instead of the victim. For a little while I thought maybe the rapist's wife either framed the her or they were in on it together. None of that was the case.

Has Camryn aged at all? She still looks amazing. Jamie didn't but I don't know if it was the lighting or make up. I agree they should have explained why she's no longer a judge. When I saw her name pop up I really thought she'd be the judge in the case. I wish she was so we could have her come and go. It doesn't really fit with Jamie Ross that she'd let a murderer go. I hope they aren't going the route they did with Robinette by having her suddenly be so different. 

Not sure about Nolan yet. Deciding not to use the confession was odd. A judge definitely would have tossed it anyway. But I was still expecting a twist so kept waiting for them to dig something up. Not just decide to have the other attorney give the closing argument. I don't buy the jury convicting her. If they didn't care about the evidence or anything else nothing she said would have made a difference. 

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I know pilots are rarely good and there were a lot of new people

But this wasn’t a pilot. It’s the season premiere of the 21st season, albeit it’s 12 years late. And this show was known for cast changes. I’m just glad for Sam Waterston.

But I still want Cosgrove to be Max Greevy’d. Replace him with Ed Green, who decided to return.

• Love 3

L&O was my favorite show back in the day, but I think it's time has passed. It's hard to watch cops being deceitful and disrespectful and shrug it off .

Didn't expect to come here and find a whole page about Carey Lowell's looks and not a word about Anthony Anderson's weight, but that's how the world works.

• Love 12

How long has Cosgrove been a police officer?  His going off script and mentioning the confession would have gotten a rookie fired.  And he had the nerve to talk back to the prosecutor?  The DA should have told his boss that they didn't want to use him as a witness ever again.

When asked if he had any evidence besides the confession and the hoodie, why didn't he mention the cigarette with her DNA?  And it was just a coincidence they found her husband's gun feet away from whomever was wearing the hoodie? 

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But this wasn’t a pilot. It’s the season premiere of the 21st season, albeit it’s 12 years late. And this show was known for cast changes. I’m just glad for Sam Waterston.

But I still want Cosgrove to be Max Greevy’d. Replace him with Ed Green, who decided to return.

Yeah, but it has been off the air in first run for over a decade. So it is a de facto second pilot, all that time said. And this was rocky, just like a pilot. But just like the first go-round, I have faith the kinks will get smoothed out eventually. I hope!

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They've gone through cast changes but they've never had to introduce four new characters during those changes.  (Other than the first time we got to know the show in 1990). They also had to reassemble a writers' room, build sets..etc.  So while not a true pilot, it was darn close. 

28 minutes ago, Adgirl said:

Didn't expect to come here and find a whole page about Carey Lowell's looks and not a word about Anthony Anderson's weight, but that's how the world works.

Anthony Anderson has been on TV a lot over the past decade with Blackish and To Tell The Truth. Nothing about his appearance is surprising to many of us who have seen him on TV.  I haven't seen Carey since she last appeared in L&O.  

• Love 22
2 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

• It was lovely to see Jamie again.  But I agree that the dinner scene should have been her and Jack; i mean, even Arthur had plenty of ex parte conversations with people he had previous relationships with.  And with her having worked under Jack for at least the past four years, he has a right to expect that one of his A.D.A.s wouldn't go off the reservation like that.  She's not just an old friend; she's part of Jack's staff, even if we're going to be following Price instead of her.

I think the problem with Jack going to see her is that she has been officially called as a witness in a case and Jack is actually her boss responsible for the prosecution of the case. That's a whole lot of interference with a witness.  That her peer the prosecutor went to talk to her like that was wrong IMO but Jack was in a position of power over her in her job and I think that crosses more lines than the actual ADA would.  That's my impression anyway.

I am so glad this thing is back. I'll give it time to find it's feet again. I watch (sadly) SVU and it annoys the crap outta me fifteen times an episode. I can give this new L&O some time to get up and running smoothly and overcome my nostalgia thirst for the old episodes.

The difference between Carey and Camryn is weight. Thinness looks fine on younger women but it ages older women like a sonofabitch. Camryn looks great. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

They've gone through cast changes but they've never had to introduce four new characters during those changes.  (Other than the first time we got to know the show in 1990). They also had to reassemble a writers' room, build sets..etc.  So while not a true pilot, it was darn close. 

Anthony Anderson has been on TV a lot over the past decade with Blackish and To Tell The Truth. Nothing about his appearance is surprising to many of us who have seen him on TV.  I haven't seen Carey since she last appeared in L&O.  

Good point, I've watched Blackish (except for this last season) so his appearance didn't surprise me.  I've only seen Carey in Law & Order reruns and Sleepless in Seattle both were a long time ago. 

• Love 2

I'm not feeling it, at least not from this episode. It's a bad time when Anthony Anderson's Bernard is the one I like best, because I could not stand him during the show's original run. Waterston was fine, Manheim was fine, even Dancy was good, though I might need a little time to warm up to him. At least he's not the torture loving dick Cutter was... Yeah, I'm still mad about that.

Donovan's character (I'm not going to bother remembering or looking up his name) was intolerable. I ended up skipping every scene when he went on a tirade, and the other ADA was blah, whatever.

Not super impressed by the Mothership's return so far.

• Love 5

Guess I’m the only one that liked this episode.  

im close to the age of Lowell.  It’s not easy Not being a spring chicken anymore.  Rude comments if she had work done rude comments if she is aging naturally.  As someone noted, thinness and age make a difference.  Age is age give her a break. 

• Love 24
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That’s pretty typical though. It was rare for each of the second chairs to get equal billing, so to speak. Ben, Jack, Mike. They all dominated.

True, but usually the second chair was the one who visited the precinct, viewed interrogations, argued for dicier warrants, and handled bail stuff before the executive ADA really got involved.  Maroun even said she watched Cosgrove do his thing, but it must have been a recording since I don't recall anyone other than the lieutenant outside.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

Literally came here to see if that was Carey Lowell. The voice is the same, but I would never have reccognized her either! 

Me too! I kept saying I know the voice but ...... wasn't she the one who slept with McCoy? Oh that was Claire Kinkaid. (Jill Hennesey)

Do you think others will have guest appearances? Abbie Carmichael or someone else down the line?

• Love 4

I will never understand why, for a crime show, they consistently get gun things entirely wrong.  For one thing, NY is one of few places with gun registration; if Nicole took the gun from her husband's safe, it would be registered to him. For another, Sig Sauer made only one gun chambered in .380, but the gun the canvassing officers show the detectives isn't it. Lastly, gun shot residue will stay in fabric, especially a natural porous fibre like cotton; she'd have had to wash it numerous times for it to not be on her sweatshirt.

Even though Jamie didn't testify, it's not practical to believe Jack would allow her to get away with it. He's not going to just shrug off the fact that Nicole told Jamie what she was going to do. Beyond that....why? Did she just feel so bad for Jamie that before shooting Henry she went to the DAs office to alert Ross?

I get Dick Wolf is woke, but there wasn't a need for a sign saying "Rape Affects All Genders." GMAFB.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, debraran said:

Me too! I kept saying I know the voice but ...... wasn't she the one who slept with McCoy? Oh that was Claire Kinkaid. (Jill Hennesey)

Do you think others will have guest appearances? Abbie Carmichael or someone else down the line?

It was Claire who slept with Jack. Although at the end of "Missing", Nora reminds Jack that he slept with an Assistant. Jack indignantly reminds Nora that he married her, and Nora replies, "It wasn't just the one, was it Jack.?" 

• Love 6

I honestly did not hate it. The new partner and female attorney will grate. But I rarely found I ever liked 100% of the main cast. In fact, the new partner made Anderson's character more palatable. I do like Hugh Dancy's character a lot.

• Love 9

How I wish my fav Jerry was still alive, he made the show for me many episodes. S. Epatha Merkerson is on Chicago Med (which I cant stomach anymore) but she was also on a long time.

I'm giving it a chance. They cant really redo it with so many gone but I hope with some selective guests and people getting used to roles it will get better. I tire of SVU and rape after rape, as a woman it isn't something I want my head in every week. I liked how original L&O had more thought provoking episodes and not just "lets see how we can shock them with this attack or rape"

• Love 14

I enjoyed it. I am so glad that it is back and will give it some time to find its groove. I just remember there were some episodes in the middle of the original run that I skip in reruns because they were difficult to watch. 

I will get used to Jeffrey Donovan as someone not Michael Weston (that's where I am most familiar with him) and everyone else was fine.

Jamie Ross is the reason I am commenting. I wasn't really surprised that she was feeling for the defendant because I remember her as a defense attorney (in 1999 and 2001) on the Mothership. She was dragged into court about an anonymous tip in one ep and she defended a teenaged shooter in the other. I recall that after she left the DA's office, she had changed her perspective (not that she did anything wrong in those cases). And that she has a soft spot for some defendants. 

Either way, I am glad it's back.

Edited by SoapDoc
Bad spelling! In need of an editor...
  • Love 8

I liked it.  I liked that they hit the ground running with a "big", Cosby-esque case - not shying away from the hard stuff.  And I liked all the cast - a good mix of old faces with mostly "new".  Yeah, the Cosgrove character came on a bit strong but not a big deal to me.  All the others balance him out, and I'm sure he'll get more nuance as we learn more about him.

• Love 9

Coming back with a Cosby headline rip reminded me that the show began with  Kitty Genovse headline rip. Detective Cosgrove made me think that he was a rookie when Detective Fontana was around and now that he is in the high position he misses the days of his mentor. Getting into a D.A.'s face was done by many detectives before.

The time allotted for the Lieutenant and A.D.A. seemed to be in line with history, except for no comment about the lying while interrogating judging by how Mr. Price reacted you would think major changes on that end happened since Detective Curtis' day.. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

After watching this, I watched “Life Choice” and “A Death in the Family”  from season one. In the latter, some teens who were playing basketball slammed the ball against the fence and would have hit Logan in the face had it not been there. And Mike Logan, known for his hot temper, didn’t go lunging after them or threatening to beat them for doing that. Unlike super sensitive Cosgrove.

The only time I loved BOTH the Law and the Order side was in the first three seasons. The Max/ Mike/Cragen/Paul/Ben/ADAM! and Phil/Mike, and Lennie/Mike. I wasn’t a fan of Claire, and ESPECIALLY Rohmbot annoyed me. I loved Jamie, Abbie, and Connie, and yes, Mike Cutter. Nora was useless and I couldn’t abide Foghorn Leghorn (My nick name for Branch). Hated Rey and UGH, Cassady. Van Buren was AWESOME!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

And wtf is "if it's legal, it's ethical"???  I'm pretty sure if we worked at it, we could come up with plenty of counter-examples.  You'd think that Jack might recall how he and Jamie and Serena all ended up in front of the Disciplinary Committee at one time or another.  Not to mention Connie getting called out in "Strike" for "impersonating" an ADA when she was working as the defense counsel, or Norah threatening to take Judge Ron McLarty to the Presiding Judge (11.03, "Dissonance"), or Adam getting the judge in "I.D." hauled in for a lecture, or…

First example that springs to mind:  a "normal" person (didn't create the peril; doesn't have a special relationship with the victim; etc.) is not required to help a person in distress... you can literally stand by and watch them drown.  Legal?  Yes.  Ethical?  No.

Happy to see my favorite show, L&O, back.  I'm very easy to please, so I liked it.  I think some of the strangeness...new characters...will become familiar soon enough.  It did seem like the acting felt a bit forced...especially during the Law(?) (police) scenes.  Hopefully it won't take too many episodes for them all to settle into their roles.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 6

I re-watched most of this on Peacock (I had missed the first minute of the opening while finding NBC, and then later the over-run at the end so I could catch my favorite show, Ghosts).

I am a little sad that we only get the cop on the scene verbally describing the discovery of the body with "young couple  starts foolin' around; walks down the stairs to have sex . . . see the dead guy bleedin' out. . . ." instead of the L&O trademark (IMO) of the opening red herring.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I want the sailboat murals back in the courtroom.

Oh, yes, please! Where are the sailboat oil paintings? I am willing and able to gladly recreate them for free if that's the issue. I loved them!

3 hours ago, Route66 said:

...gun shot residue will stay in fabric, especially a natural porous fibre like cotton; she'd have had to wash it numerous times for it to not be on her sweatshirt.

Good to know (and other stuff in your post too, @Route66) but this👆 actually makes sense to me since the green hoodie was in the dryer at least the day after the shooting when the detectives arrived--which I thought was too convenient, but now makes more sense after reading your post: If I were Nicole, I would have rewashed the hoodie a bunch of times before drying it to get every trace of his blood out of it (for both evidentiary and psychological reasons) because drying it would set any remaining stain (my Welsh brother-in-law says my middle name in Wales would be "Laundry").

I'm surprised Alicia Coppola as the defense attorney isn't mentioned on Wikipedia or IMDb etc. yet. Hopefully she'll be recurring.

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
12 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

the minute Cosgrove said "tell us the truth and we'll let you leave" she didn't feel like she could leave and should have been read her rights.

Oooo. I missed that line. Thanks. 

The transcript doesn't seem to be online yet, but, if anyone cares, I copied this from the CC with ellipses for stuff I left out:

[NICOLE (SHOOTER)] Am I under arrest?

[DETECTIVE KEVIN BERNARD]Oh no. But if you keep lying to us, we'll have no choice.

[DETECTIVE FRANK COSGROVE] No one here thinks you did anything wrong. More importantly, nobody wants to prosecute you. Nobody. . . .
Tell us your side of the story. Tell us what happened.

[NICOLE] Then what.

[COSGROVE] You go home.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5

So... pseudo Bill Cosby, by put revenged on?

9 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

21st century attitudes everywhere is one thing, but why is the lead prosecutor always a male?  Why can’t we see a male legal second banana?  

Indeed.  Good point.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I see they also added Watterson and Manheim to the end credit walking sequence.  Not sure what I think of that.    

SVU and CI always had the "bosses" in the opening sequence shot of the principals together, so I'm not sure why the Mothership never did until now. However, I don't like them looking into the camera, walking in a CGI background. Before, they were chatting with each other while walking in the police station or courthouse. I liked it better that way.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

I get your point but somewhere Paul Robinette is sobbing. 

I forgot about Paul!  Thanks for the reminder.  But why can’t the second chair work with a female lead?

Now that I think of Robinette, it would be good to have him as DA.  Nothing against Waterston, but why isn’t McCoy retired?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

I forgot about Paul!  Thanks for the reminder.  But why can’t the second chair work with a female lead?

Now that I think of Robinette, it would be good to have him as DA.  Nothing against Waterston, but why isn’t McCoy retired?

It’s not uncommon for DA’s to be in office for a long time in real life - Just look at Robert Morgenthau, the Manhattan DA who was the inspiration for the character of Adam Schiff, he served as DA until he was about 90! Sam Waterston is 81, I assume Jack is the same age, so I buy it that Jack is the DA and I hope he stays with the show, I can’t imagine L&O without him!

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I am a little sad that we only get the cop on the scene verbally describing the discovery of the body with "young couple  starts foolin' around; walks down the stairs to have sex . . . see the dead guy bleedin' out. . . ." instead of the L&O trademark (IMO) of the opening red herring.

I honestly get why the show did not do the typical L&O body discovery.  They got their Broadway Star in the role of victim and they had to give Norm something to do besides lie there.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
53 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

.Before, they were chatting with each other while walking in the police station or courthouse. I liked it better that way.

I did too, I always think of S1 with Greevey, Logan, Stone, and Robinette as the standard. I always feel like other intros never measured up.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

No adult of average intelligence and sophistication is going to believe a cop that tells them they can confess to murder and go home.

That should hardly enter into it, though.  The point of the justice system is to punish the criminals for the crimes they committed, not for being stupid and/or gullible.  And since plenty of stupid and/or gullible people are also innocent, letting cops ring up "confessions" without proper safeguards is hardly a good thing, IMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, Route66 said:

at the end of "Missing", Nora reminds Jack that he slept with an Assistant. Jack indignantly reminds Nora that he married her, and Nora replies, "It wasn't just the one, was it Jack.?" 

This wasn't news, of course.  In Jack's debut (5.01, "Second Opinion"), Jack tells Claire that he's dated three of his previous assistants.  Which Claire later discovers is that means every female assistant he's ever had, which you'd think Adam might have had a word with him about, "boys' club" or not.  

We later learn the assistants were Sally Bell [Edie Falco] from 5.09 "Scoundrels" and Dianna Hawthorne [Laila Robbins] from 6.12 "Trophy", as well as the ex-wife.  So Nora technically isn't confirming Jack/Claire, which I don't think was ever explicitly made canon.

The last time I saw Carey was when she was photographed at an event with then-husband Richard Gere.  She was 52, and got a lot of "damn, she looks good for 52!" comments from the community where I was following that event.  I think a lot of the difference is just that she's foregoing makeup, which would seem odd since Jamie certainly used to employ it, and you'd think she still would for trials.  But perhaps she's decided that she doesn't need it around the office?  

Honestly, I just want Carey/Jamie back as often as her schedule permits.  So I hope that there isn't a general reaction to her appearances that might impede that.  But JMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

[DETECTIVE FRANK COSGROVE] No one here thinks you did anything wrong. More importantly, nobody wants to prosecute you.

Well, since "no one here" is actually a prosecutor, I suppose Cosgrove could argue he wasn't technically lying…

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

So Nora technically isn't confirming Jack/Claire, which I don't think was ever explicitly made canon.

I think it is confirmed. In "Rebels", Claire tries on the motorcycle jacket and tells the salesman her friend has one. We also see Jamie trying to fix up Jack and makes a reference to Claire.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Guess I’m the only one that liked this episode.  

im close to the age of Lowell.  It’s not easy Not being a spring chicken anymore.  Rude comments if she had work done rude comments if she is aging naturally.  As someone noted, thinness and age make a difference.  Age is age give her a break. 

I did!!

It was like an old friend coming for a visit. I love SVU, watched CI and now watch OC, but the Mothership is where its at, and I for one am happy to have it back in any form. 

• Love 11
32 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I did!!

It was like an old friend coming for a visit. I love SVU, watched CI and now watch OC, but the Mothership is where its at, and I for one am happy to have it back in any form. 

Oh I definitely liked the episode overall as I said in my first post, I thought it was a pretty promising start to season 21, the case was solid and I think the characters have good chemistry together. There are a few kinks to be worked out, particularly with Cosgrove, but I’m thrilled the show is back. I just really disliked what they did to Ross, she was so OOC and I really disliked that they brought her back just to trash her.

• Love 9