Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: The Right Thing

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

So Nora technically isn't confirming Jack/Claire, which I don't think was ever explicitly made canon.

I think the closest they come to a confirmation might be in the episode where Jack goes really overboard in trying to convict a drunk driver, and Jamie suggests to him that the case is really about Jack getting revenge for Claire's death. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I think the closest they come to a confirmation might be in the episode where Jack goes really overboard in trying to convict a drunk driver, and Jamie suggests to him that the case is really about Jack getting revenge for Claire's death. 

It was obvious to me about Jack and Claire in that one episode, whose name I’m blanking on, where Jack tells Claire to take the next elevator because he wouldn’t be good company “tonight” and especially in “Aftershock” when she doesn’t show up at the bar where he’s been waiting for her and got himself drunk because they all witnessed someone put to death. He’s pretty much a jerk when he says “The hell with her.”

Claire shows up after he’s left. There were subtle signs they were involved less than year after she told him she wasn’t going to get involved with him like his other assistants.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Clawdette said:

While Carey is still pretty, she doesn’t look like herself. It’s not plastic surgery gone bad; it’s plastic surgery gone weird. 

Her features don’t look altered, but I was wondering who in the hair and makeup department hates her. 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

Her features don’t look altered, but I was wondering who in the hair and makeup department hates her. 

They really messed up.  Her lips looked GRAY.  How is that possible? The makeup people made her look like dead Laura Palmer on Twin Peaks.  They need to do better next week!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I hope Linus Roach will make a guest appearance as Mike Cutter. 

They did Mr. Cutter bad enough on SVU. After seeing what they did to Judge Ross I fear what they will do when other favorites make a cameo.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

would not have recognized her. 

What the hell did she do to her face? Even seeing the name I couldn't believe it was Carey Lowell playing Jamie Ross.

I liked it, it's going to take some time to adjust to the noobs. I laughed when I realized they were doing Cosby...I love the ripped from the headlines episodes.

I'm really curious on the relationship between the cop and the DA. I can't tell if their ex-lovers or brothers...there was something deeper there with the cops anger over DAs.

It was wonderful seeing Jack McCoy again. Bernard was entertaining as always. I'm not feeling his confrontational relationship with his partner but, I never liked that on the show. 

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I hope Linus Roach will make a guest appearance as Mike Cutter. 

I really liked that character and was hoping he'd be in this show. To me, he was second only to Lenny Briscoe. 

• Love 9

Cosby sues NBC and Dick Wolf for defamation in 3...2...1...😉

Funny how King's wife acted kind of like Claire Huxtable. She had some of Claire's speech pattern and facial expressions. Wonder if that was a directing choice?

About 20 minutes in I figured the story on King's murder would turn out to be a Murder on the Orient Express scenario with several of the rape victims having participated in causing his death. Oops, missed on that guess.

I'll never understand why people toss their murder weapons in dumpsters. Why not throw them in the Hudson River like the mob guys do?

Yeah, in what universe can you confess to murder and then just go home and get on with your life? I think Nicole was tragically naive and should've kept her mouth shut except to say, "Lawyer" even though they hadn't mirandized her yet.

Hugh Dancy stays being gorgeous and his American accent is impeccable. Maybe his wife will get to do a guest star role at some point if she isn't too busy.

I'm glad this series is back but this wasn't a great start to the reboot, IMO. There was an air of trying too hard, with the deliberate drawing of political lines. Hopefully things will calm down as it gets its footing back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
21 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Put a twist on it that can make us be ok with a conviction.

I'm perfectly fine with the conviction without a twist.  I really liked the closing argument.  It's OK to feel sorry for her. It's not OK to let her get away with murder.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It was wonderful seeing Jack McCoy again. Bernard was entertaining as always. I'm not feeling his confrontational relationship with his partner but, I never liked that on the show. 

I wasn't really liking any of the animosity on the show.  It was like everyone was working at cross-purposes.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm perfectly fine with the conviction without a twist.  I really liked the closing argument.  It's OK to feel sorry for her. It's not OK to let her get away with murder.

Agreed - vigilante justice isn’t okay, I really liked the closing argument as well and I didn’t think there needed to be another twist to things. 

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I wasn't really liking any of the animosity on the show.  It was like everyone was working at cross-purposes.

Animosity between characters can be okay and natural at times, but it’s irritating if it’s overdone. That’s why I hope they even things out with Cosgrove, he was the cause of most of the animosity in the first episode, some of it worked fine but some of it didn’t, I was really annoyed with how Cosgrove went after Price outside the courtroom when it was Cosgrove who screwed the pooch in the first place. But I kind of liked the dynamic between Bernard/Cosgrove and I look forward to seeing more of them, they have solid chemistry, in fact I thought the whole cast had solid chemistry. I’m thrilled to have the show back. 

• Love 5

The actress playing NotCosby's wife was so familiar to me.  It turns out she played the disabled former opera diva who was raped and also being abused by Jill Scott in SVU about a decade ago.  (She also did another episode 5 years later, which I don't recall.)  She has an almost regal way about her.  I was glad to see her.

I enjoyed the show more than many others, it seems.  I agree that many of the slicker changes were unnecessary, but it still seemed much closer to old-school L&O than SVU or OC.  I gather we will see more of Jamie Ross next week.  I can't help but feel there is an odd habit now, established in SVU, of bringing characters back just to drag them through the mud.  I don't know what's up with that.

Some of the social issue commentary was a little "on the nose" for me, but I guess it's not reasonable in this day and age to expect a show about police and prosecutors not to address these issues.  It always was a bit of a fantasy and a manifestation of privilege, I realize now, to think that these shows lacked a political point of view in the past.  There are plenty of other shows for me to find escapism from "the real world."

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

Re-watching a bit closer on Peacock, and I still do not like the tweaked new opening. I adore Sam Waterston and am glad Jack McCoy is back, but I notice his delivery is more in line with Steven Hill's gravelly voice. Still, I'll take Jack any way I can.

The irony just struck me, is all.

I do like the new lieutenant played by Camryn Manheim.

And I am with everyone else, wondering why the hell a coat rack seems to be in the middle of the courtroom. LOL! I miss the old set, too. Oh, well.

• Love 10

Forgot to say that McCoy's "the police are under attack!  Some people even want to defund them, for God's sake!" really threw me.  I don't remember this character that way.

If they are going to bring up those kinds of hot button issues, I would like them to get a little further into them.  It would be interesting to learn if what McCoy's been doing while the show was off the air has changed some of his perspectives.

There's room for that to come, sure, and I get leaving us wanting more.  But that was just too slapdash.  Even if his point of view has shifted, unsurprising in over a decade, the McCoy I remember would have conveyed a more sophisticated understanding of this issue.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 12
On 2/24/2022 at 9:30 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Just seems weird to me that Jamie would give up being a judge to be a lawyer again. As for her looks, I think it is just natural age. All the repeats we see, the younger versions of the actors is pretty ingrained. But time marches on.

I didn't like the changes to the opening. Should have just let the tried and true stand.

For all intents and purposes, after 12 years off, this was essentially the pilot 2.0, so I am willing to give it time.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:32 PM, cambridgeguy said:

Maroun really got shortchanged in this episode - Price dominated the trial part until the closing argument.  Hopefully they'll give her more to do without needing to draw on her family's tragic past.

Cosgrove came across as a little too adversarial, but if memory serves Curtis and Green were stiff hard asses when they were introduced to create conflict with Briscoe, and they ended up mellowing out pretty quickly. 

On 2/24/2022 at 9:34 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Hell, Lennie himself was a lot more abrasive when he first popped up, almost in douche territory, and we all know how beloved the character became.

Yeah it's almost part of the formula for them to have one partner be overly aggressive/abrasive and antagonistic towards their partner before they gradually come to develop a mutual respect. And for the writers to sand off the rough edges of characters originally intended to be a source of dramatic conflict. The only exceptions I can think of to the gradual softening are Fontana, which was mostly realistic and interesting and worked, and Cassady, which wasn't and didn't.

On 2/25/2022 at 12:45 AM, Adgirl said:

L&O was my favorite show back in the day, but I think it's time has passed. It's hard to watch cops being deceitful and disrespectful and shrug it off .

Didn't expect to come here and find a whole page about Carey Lowell's looks and not a word about Anthony Anderson's weight, but that's how the world works.

As was mentioned previously AA has been on TV a lot more than CL so we've watched the changes over time. Plus with the coats and suits it's not really as obvious. And she doesn't have the beard to hide the facial changes...

A lot of the commentary and complaints reminds me of the Roseanne reboot. They were a little too focused on trying to prove they could still be relevant to today that they missed some of what made us want the show to come back and some of the actors needed a little bit of time to get back into the swing of things. Heck there was even a lot of talk about different John Goodman looked! A lot of premature declarations that it's time had passed too. But that pretty much worked out. I just hope Sam Waterston doesn't go crazy on Twitter and end up needing to be killed off...

Edited by wknt3
ducking autocorrect
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

I grew up on West 76th Street and lived there for my first 48 years. My house was almost directly across the street from the murder scene. I was delighted!

Weirdly, all the camera scenes from the neighborhood (the wife, the defendant smoking, the defendant by the dumpster) were all located within one block. Every single one was specifically misidentified by the cops. The wife was on West 77th and Columbus, they said she was on West 78th, the smoking scene was a half block from the murder site, they said it was a block and a half, and finally the dumpster was on West 75th and they said it was West 74th. It clearly isn’t important to the plot, but I’m really curious why they did that.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

My house was almost directly across the street from the murder scene. I was delighted!

I may be laughing at this all weekend. Never underestimate the enthusiasm of L&O fans! 

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
On 2/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, wknt3 said:

As was mentioned previously AA has been on TC a lot more than CL so we've watched the changes over time. Plus with the coats and suits it's not really as obvious. And she doesn't have the beard to hide the facial changes...

You guys can say whatever you want. It's annoying that it's always a one and a half pages on women's looks and maybe five posts about a man.  It's exhausting but expected.

On 2/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, wknt3 said:

Sam Waterston doesn't go crazy on Twitter and end up needing to be killed off...

Sam doesn't need to. In the original ADA McCoy locks up a Black man for not "snitching" when the Black man asked "what about my right to remain silent" McCoy has no reply. That's when I stopped watching the original.

Lennie Brisco was brusque but he never tried to rough someone up for saying they didn't recognize a picture. He also didn't do monologues about the respect the NYPD deserves.

After watching people die brutally at the hands of cops over the last few years I can't watch this show. I'd happily watch somebody smack Burn Notice in the mouth but that won't happen so I'm out.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Ladies and gentlemen, we all have opinions. Let's live and let live. Some may not like some shared opinions, but let's let everyone have their say without judgment. Let's move on from addressing other posters and keep to the series.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, HelloooKitty said:

I miss Lenny.

And Greene for that matter. 

Briscoe/Green will always be my favorite partnership, they were a fantastic pairing with outstanding chemistry, they will never be matched IMO. I would love to see Green appear again and find out what he’s up to, as long as they don’t shit on him they way they did on Jamie Ross in the premiere. It really pisses me off when they bring back a character just to make them look bad or OOC. 

• Love 17
Just now, Xeliou66 said:

Briscoe/Green will always be my favorite partnership, they were a fantastic pairing with outstanding chemistry, they will never be matched IMO. I would love to see Green appear again and find out what he’s up to, as long as they don’t shit on him they way they did on Jamie Ross in the premiere. It really pisses me off when they bring back a character just to make them look bad or OOC. 

After what happened with Jamie, I almost want all the other classic characters to keep a wide berth. And that makes me sad.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think partly it was because Jerry and Jesse were so close in real life. Their care for each other off screen carried over on screen. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

Hey, can we get Fran Lebowitz back as an arraignment judge?

Lawyer goes into a long list of why this pillar of the community should be allowed out on bail.

Judge Fran: Does he like cats? I like cats.

Classic.

And bring back the Rodgers, the ME, too!

Edited by mojito
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

After what happened with Jamie, I almost want all the other classic characters to keep a wide berth. And that makes me sad.

Yes that makes me sad as well, I was really disgusted with what they did to Jamie, they trashed her character for no reason other than to use her as a plot device. It makes me hesitant to wish for appearances from other fan favorites. 

• Love 7
Just now, Xeliou66 said:

Yes that makes me sad as well, I was really disgusted with what they did to Jamie, they trashed her character for no reason other than to use her as a plot device. It makes me hesitant to wish for appearances from other fan favorites. 

Ditto. I hope that was just a misstep and not a pattern.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I almost think it was in character for Jamie to do what she did.  She's been shown to put ethics second if she thinks it will bring about a just outcome.   I'm thinking of one of the episodes where she came back after she left where it turned out that she anonymously called the DA's office to provide evidence that she only knew because her client had told her.  I vaguely recall it ended with her having to go before the Disciplinary Board.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, txhorns79 said:

I almost think it was in character for Jamie to do what she did.  She's been shown to put ethics second if she thinks it will bring about a just outcome.   I'm thinking of one of the episodes where she came back after she left where it turned out that she anonymously called the DA's office to provide evidence that she only knew because her client had told her.  I vaguely recall it ended with her having to go before the Disciplinary Board.

I’m afraid I have to completely disagree with you - Jamie was always a straight shooter and one of the most unbiased, ethical prosecutors, and I didn’t buy that she would condone vigilante justice, and especially that she would let a murder happen, which is what was heavily implied by her taking the 5th. I don’t see how she could stay on as a prosecutor after what she did, I thought that was way OOC, that she would throw away her career to protect a killer or especially that she would let a murder happen. Also they screwed up by not having her and Jack share a scene, and the continuity of Jamie’s career was very screwy, somehow she was an ADA again after being a judge? I thought her appearance was a total disaster that basically ruined Jamie’s character. Very bad on the show’s part.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

and the continuity of Jamie’s career was very screwy, somehow she was an ADA again after being a judge?

I would have liked to know why that happened.  Perhaps they just assumed that so few people watched L&O: Trial by Jury, and it was on so long ago, that most people would not remember. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I would have liked to know why that happened.  Perhaps they just assumed that so few people watched L&O: Trial by Jury, and it was on so long ago, that most people would not remember. 

I'd like to know how/why she went from being a defense attorney to an ADA to a defense attorney to a judge to an ADA!! Yikes!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

It wasn't us, in my opinion it was them they probably looked up her 4 seasons and forgot all about Trial by Jury. Since Wolf seems to like rewarding actors with cameos on his other shows in the franchise I would bet if someone else is brought back that appeared on Criminal Intent, Los Angeles, Trial by Jury, Special Victims Unit, Chicago PD and Chicago Justice, and I guess the FBI franchise is Tommyverse connected since a Chicago PD character did a tour of duty there, similar mistakes will be made again.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Both Broadway stars! Jerry Orbach was awesome.

And let us not forget Jerry was also the voice of Lumiere, the candlestick in the animated 1991 version (a classic!) of Beauty and the Beast, too!

• Love 9

I fell asleep instead of watching live West Coast time OTA so I'm late to the party catching up on 3 Law & Orders this weekend!

Loved seeing Sam Waterston again!  I really like Camryn Manheim and am liking her as the Loo so far.  I was #TeamCosgrove and #TeamLt.Dixon in the opening.  Then Cosgrove's anti-woke attitude devolved into bad attitude cop territory.  I liked the Bernard-Cosgrove convo which seemed to straighten themselves out with each other.  I look forward to seeing them as partners.

Everything's been said about what they did to Jamie Ross, so I won't repeat it other than my excitement at seeing Carey Lowell again turned to disbelief at the character assassination.  Her appearance was fine, I recognized her, but think she needed better lipstick (makeup dept.'s fault or further throwing under the bus, I'm not sure).

I enjoyed this episode and will be giving the show time to develop and gel.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I'm hesitant as well, but no more than I was before. Revivals in general have to walk a fine between being simply an exercise in nostalgia and change for the sake of change with a familiar title stuck on a sub-par series for the name recognition boost and a constant parade of fomer cast members usually results in the former. Plus the show's record with returns is mixed at best, For every Curtis in "Rubber Room" we get a Robinette in, well basically any epsisode he appeared in after he left. That said I do hope they manage to work out a Skoda appearance. JK Simmons will be good no matter what and he and the character are simply too well known and loved for them to mess around with too much (much like Jack McCoy in SVU a series whose track record with returning characters is worse than mixed.)

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Raja said:

It wasn't us, in my opinion it was them they probably looked up her 4 seasons and forgot all about Trial by Jury. 

Fair enough, but she was only on for two seasons (1996-98). I think the only ADA who had a shorter run was Alexandra Borgia (2005-06).

Ms. Lowell never had generous lips to begin with - and I really love that she doesn't feel the need to "plump them up." Perhaps they tried different lipsticks on her and they all looked stupid. I think she looks fine for an older lady.

And a big thank you for posting those clips from Colbert!

2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I'm hesitant as well, but no more than I was before. Revivals in general have to walk a fine between being simply an exercise in nostalgia and change for the sake of change with a familiar title stuck on a sub-par series for the name recognition boost and a constant parade of fomer cast members usually results in the former. Plus the show's record with returns is mixed at best, For every Curtis in "Rubber Room" we get a Robinette in, well basically any epsisode he appeared in after he left. That said I do hope they manage to work out a Skoda appearance. JK Simmons will be good no matter what and he and the character are simply too well known and loved for them to mess around with too much (much like Jack McCoy in SVU a series whose track record with returning characters is worse than mixed.)

For the record, Curtis appeared in the season 20 episode Fed, not Rubber Room. And yeah I hear what you’re saying about returning characters, they can screw them up, but what they did to Jamie in this episode was just total character assassination that I never saw coming. It makes me much more hesitant to wish for returns of beloved characters.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

Fair enough, but [Jamie] was only on for two seasons (1996-98). I think the only ADA who had a shorter run was Alexandra Borgia (2005-06).

Although Jamie was a regular only in Seasons 7-8, Carey returned for guest-spots in 10.05 "Justice" and 11.22 "School Daze".  (The latter is the one where Jamie has the easiest suppression hearing in history, because effing Lennie can't wait 15 minutes to get a warrant when Ed is already on the phone with the judge…). So while she was only a regular in two seasons, Carey appeared in four.

Jamie's leaving the bench isn't exactly odd; perhaps she decided she'd rather be an advocate than an adjudicator.  Remember, judges in NY don't have lifetime appointments, it's only a 10-year term.  TBJ was 2005, right?  Plenty of time to serve out that term and be back in Jack's office to handle Nicole's original complaint in 2017 or so.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

I actually liked Jamie as a judge and thought it was a natural progression for her. But after thinking about it, I remember Perry Mason stepping down as a judge to defend Della in Perry Mason Returns and never went back. So in tvland, there’s precedent. HAH! See what I did there? 😉

I hope with this new season, discussion of the previous seasons won’t stop!

But yeah, I don’t trust Eid NOT to fuck over any returns of original cast members.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

A little off topic, but I saw Sam Waterston on Stephen Colbert last night and he's 81!  I am guessing he won't be playing a major part in this show.  A couple short scenes and a set up to hand over the reigns is my guess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, wknt3 said:

There's a simple way to not mess with returning characters - don't have them be involved with the case of the week.  Curtis had nothing to do with what they were investigating that episode and understandably interacted with just Van Buren.  Ross having dinner with old friend Jack and talking about the very public case would have been fine.  If they're going to bring back old characters they should interact with the people they used to know - seeing Ross tangle with Cosgrove doesn't really mean much.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

A little off topic, but I saw Sam Waterston on Stephen Colbert last night and he's 81!  I am guessing he won't be playing a major part in this show.  A couple short scenes and a set up to hand over the reigns is my guess.

Interview is posted in the media thread.

And why not? I don’t know how old Steven Hill was when he ended his 10 year run. And as @Xeliou66 stated up thread, the real life NY DA that Adam was based on, served until he was 90. And Sam looks robust still.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
Stoopid AUTOCORRECT NOT!
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

And I am with everyone else, wondering why the hell a coat rack seems to be in the middle of the courtroom. LOL!

And a couple of filing cabinets!

I barely recognized Carey Lowell in the first scene in her office, but after that she did look as I remembered. Her hair and makeup was terrible, I agree. She never wore much anyway, with that fabulous bone structure, but she never looked like she needed a good night's sleep, as she did in this episode.

16 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

they screwed up by not having her and Jack share a scene

They sure did.

14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Jerry Orbach was awesome.

The real-life NYPD loved his portrayal of Lennie.

The DA never has a lot of airtime, since he's there to provide advice to the prosecutors. Every once in a blue moon Adam would go into court. If Waterston is up for that, I expect we could see Jack do the same. But I'd be very surprised to see a lot more of him otherwise. It's just not the role for that.

I miss the CHUNG-chung—it wasn't used nearly enough—but for what's basically a pilot, I thought this episode established things fairly well. There are definitely some kinks to work out, like cooling off Cosgrove. He's going to get tiresome to me really quickly if his hotheadedness continues. I dread hearing his inevitable tragic backstory.

• Love 8

I thought Carey looked fine - I should be so lucky to age as well as her - but the hair styling was downright bizarre.  She can pull of that short very well but it was like they ran a brush through her hair in six directions and then unloaded a can of Aqua Net on it. 

With regard to how Sam's scenes were framed, wondering if he's doing a MacMurray Method and filming everything at once. It makes no sense he wouldn't have approached Jamie instead of Hugh Dancy's character. Especially if they are all in the Manhattan DA's offices! The whole thing is so strange.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Forgot to say that McCoy's "the police are under attack!  Some people even want to defund them, for God's sake!" really threw me.  I don't remember this character that way.

Yeah, wasn't he actually the opposite? I thought he was more wary of them but maybe that stemmed from his daddy issues and his father being a cop.

I definitely did not like the stylish updates. I only watch L&O reruns from S1 - 10, because after that, there are too many characters I don't like. Although now due to Chris Noth, I won't be able to enjoy S1 - 5 as much as I used to.

But even though I'd stopped watching L&O, I was still super sad/surprised when it was canceled. I will try to keep watching but I hate the Cosgrove character which sucks since I loved "Burn Notice" so much.

• Love 3