Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

I liked the Lucille/Cyril storyline, and the squatters. Am I mistaken or was the same guy both the hippie chick's dad and the clairvoyant's son? That was a little too coincidental if so.

Covid protocols were evident in the last scene between Patrick and Shelagh - holding hands across the table instead of him holding/hugging her? She needed to be wrapped up in his arms.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, jpgr said:

Am I mistaken or was the same guy both the hippie chick's dad and the clairvoyant's son?

No, they weren't the same actor.

6 hours ago, jpgr said:

I liked the Lucille/Cyril storyline

Yes, it's been really good to see CtM covering miscarriage in such a sensitive and real way. I always appreciate it when TV shows don't wrap this very common and distressing event up in a nice bow in the space of one episode. The effects do linger on.

6 hours ago, jpgr said:

Covid protocols were evident in the last scene between Patrick and Shelagh - holding hands across the table instead of him holding/hugging her? She needed to be wrapped up in his arms.

I've noticed this all season. There have been several scenes where I've thought, 'Normally they'd be hugging.' It's really odd - but I'd rather have no-hugs episodes than no episodes at all!

• Love 14

Something tells me the writer of this episode is not a fan of the hippie lifestyle 😆 what a useless bunch!

Mad props to the props department, even the short glimpses we got of the baby were enough to explain Shelagh's (bottled up) distress. I'm also glad that she finally got a plot that did not involve her clucking around like mother hen before Easter. It was about time we were reminded that she's a skilled midwife who keeps a cool head in crisis (which should be a given anyway but it was nice to see).

Cyril and Lucille's plot was very well written. I loved that they not only addressed how the miscarriage affected Cyril but also managed to avoid anachronistic writing. Cyril struggled with loss and gender stereotypes.

I could have done without Sister Monica Joan's Cassandra shtick - but since Nonnatus House is currently two midwives down they had to give her an extended plot.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I could have done without Sister Monica Joan's Cassandra shtick - but since Nonnatus House is currently two midwives down they had to give her an extended plot.

Word. But it was good to see the wonderful Frances Tomelty as the psychic.

• Love 5

It's good to see Lucille get some interesting storylines. I was surprised when I checked that she's been around since season 7 because she hasn't had much memorable stories. This season she got her wedding and the whole miscarriage storyline was well handled and well acted.

• Love 6
On 2/11/2022 at 2:49 PM, purist said:

But it was good to see the wonderful Frances Tomelty as the psychic.

She looked so familiar to me but I only recognised her name initially because I knew she was Sting's first wife.  Sounds like I need to look into her work further!

On 2/18/2022 at 7:58 PM, peace355 said:

It's good to see Lucille get some interesting storylines. I was surprised when I checked that she's been around since season 7 because she hasn't had much memorable stories. This season she got her wedding and the whole miscarriage storyline was well handled and well acted.

Even though a lot of people in the forums have been expressing frustration with the glacial pace of Lucille and Cyril's courtship and lack of chemistry, I've always liked them and felt the way they acted was in keeping with their culture, religious beliefs etc.  However, there is such a thing as being too good to be true and they were veering close to that until this storyline.  Even the nicest and best-matched couples occasionally disagree or come into conflict, especially on something as important as this issue, so it was good to see them have words, get angry and then apologise and have a proper discussion.  Now they seem that much more human and real.

Finally, props to the special effects folks for making me have to hide my eyes not once, but twice, over the "rat ulcer" and the poor bub with its intestines outside its body. 🤢

Edited by katisha
  • Love 12
On 2/10/2022 at 11:49 PM, purist said:

Word. But it was good to see the wonderful Frances Tomelty as the psychic.

Right before I watched this ep on PBS, I saw an episode from season 2 of All Creatures Great and Small that she also guest-starred in - it was on CBC in Canada.

• Love 2

Wow, I think PBS really sliced up this episode.  Normally I can ignore it, but near the end when the clairvoyant said something to Sister MJ about seeing something happening at Nonnatous House, and the next scene with them, clairvoyant and nuns sitting around the table laughing and Sister MJ looking miserable.  WTF

Also, Those hippies were really awful.

• Love 6

Stuff that was cut from Episode 6:

Right after Shelagh talks about Teddy to Lucille, Nancy observes that they grow up so quickly, don't they. Sr. Frances says that she clung to her mother's knees at the school gate so tightly, she has to be prised off like a limpet.  Shelagh asks if they've heard from Trixie. Sr. Frances says they got an aerogramme saying her godmother was still in hospital so Trixie's running back and forth with toiletries and nightwear.

In between the scenes of Patrick at his meeting, there's a scene of Nancy visiting an elderly bed-bound woman named Mildred.  She asks Nancy to fix them both a cuppa before she leaves.  Nancy says she can't because she's on a tight schedule.  Mildred looks sad and disappointed.

Right after the scene where the South Asian woman has her baby, there's a scene of Srs. Monica Joan, Hilda and Frances talking about the bird.  Sr. Hilda wondered where it came from; and Sr. Frances says it probably fell down the chimney looking for a place to nest; Sr. Hilda says "In October", and wonders if it might have been confused. Sr. Frances says, "Or very stupid."  Sr. Monica Joan says the bird was conveying a message.  Sr. Frances observes that it was a raven, not a carrier pigeon.  Sr. Monica Joan then says she has found someone who will be able to tell them what the message is.

After the scene of Clover, Kat and JoJo talking, we see Sr. Monica Joan leaving Nonnatus House. The scene then changes to Shelagh and Patrick talking about how cases of measles are rising across the District  and how they're going to show the Committee that a vaccination program can be both practical and effective.  Shelagh says they shouldn't have to but they will.

The scene then changes to Matthew standing outside the Buckles' shop.  The sign says it's closed, but Matthew opens the door and tells Violet that the sign is backwards.  She tells him that it's half day closing and that if he wants a pattern for a crocheted minidress, he's out of luck.  He assures her that he doesn't want anything so exotic and then proceeds to ask her if the Council has a policy about squatters.  She says that because of the housing shortage, many families are living wherever they can and that she feels sorry for them even though they are breaking the law.  Matthew tells her the people he's talking about are beatniks, dropouts, hippies, he's not sure what to call them but they all have hair "down to here"  who have taken up residence in one of his empty warehouses. She tells him he can talk to the police or he can talk to them himself.  She then indicates that she wants to leave and he thanks her although he seems rather befuddled.

• Love 11

The parts of the episode dealing with the hippies reminded me of an old "Family Affair" episode.  For those of you who are too young to have watched it, "Family Affair" was a sitcom about a wealthy bachelor living in New York with his English manservant who becomes the guardian for his orphaned teenaged niece and her 6-year-old twin brother and sister.

Late in the show's run, they did an episode where Cissy, now a young adult, is dating a guy who is a "weekend hippy" and her invites her to spend the weekend with him and a couple of his hippy friends.  Uncle Bill decides that as she's an adult, she cn make her own decisions although it's clear he's not happy that she's decided to go.

Cissy's boyfriend, complete with hippy wig and love beads comes by to pick up Cissy and he's brought his friends, a couple of hippy chicks who are all "Peace and Love!"  They see the twins and immediately start playing jacks with them, saying how much they love "little people."

Later, Cissy is in her and Buffy's bedroom getting ready to leave.  Buffy observes that the two hippy chicks were grown up like Cissy but they played games like little kids.  Then she says, "You know, we were a lot of trouble when we first came here to live.  Uncle Bill had to change everything for us.  Those kids wouldn't have bothered."

Edited by Badger
Spelling error
  • Love 5

So they were down three midwives for however long Lucille was off, and are still going to be down two for the foreseeable future, but no mention of getting a replacement or calling in back-up from the Mother House? Maybe they should start sending Sister Monica Joan out on rounds, since she can still be useful.

This has been the most I've liked Matthew all season. For a minute there I was hoping he was going to deliver the baby himself, but considering what ended up happening, I'm glad he didn't!

The actress playing the clairvoyant was giving me strong Val's grandmother vibes... I'm not sure whether it was the way she talked, or the similar hairstyle (or maybe they reused a wig?), but it was kind of distracting. 

• Love 9
On 2/10/2022 at 9:57 AM, MissLucas said:

It was about time we were reminded that she's a skilled midwife who keeps a cool head in crisis (which should be a given anyway but it was nice to see).

Yes last week the discussion is who you would want as a midwife. I had forgotten how competent Shelagh is, I would want her, or Trixie.

13 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

The actress playing the clairvoyant was giving me strong Val's grandmother vibes.

I thought the same thing.

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

"Family Affair" was a sitcom about a wealthy bachelor living in New York with his English manservant who becomes the guardian for his orphaned teenaged niece and her 6-year-old twin brother and sister.

and the doll Mrs Beesley, or am I imagining that? I had a doll named Mrs Beesley, I thought it was after someone on that show. (I was only about 3 or 4 years old). 

• Love 8

Good grief, the sword of Damocles is hanging over Nonnatus House.  Who's going to get killed off? 

Since it all seems to point to Sr MJ it has to be someone else.  I just hope to heck it's not Phyllis but I have my suspicions that it would be her way to leave the show.  Say it isn't so!

Of course Mrs. Higgins is a spiritualist. Of course she knows a clairvoyant. Of course SMJ is capable of trapsing across the city without any help. 

I'm sad that Matthew didn't tune in and drop out.... he'd be a fun hippie I think. 

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, craziness said:

Wow, I think PBS really sliced up this episode.  Normally I can ignore it, but near the end when the clairvoyant said something to Sister MJ about seeing something happening at Nonnatous House, and the next scene with them, clairvoyant and nuns sitting around the table laughing and Sister MJ looking miserable.  WTF

Also, Those hippies were really awful.

Also, I can’t remember what scene immediately preceded it, but when Lucille and Cyril finally talked about her miscarriage, it was really abrupt, almost like we’d just been dropped right into the middle of the scene.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Yes last week the discussion is who you would want as a midwife. I had forgotten how competent Shelagh is, I would want her, or Trixie.

I thought the same thing.

and the doll Mrs Beesley, or am I imagining that? I had a doll named Mrs Beesley, I thought it was after someone on that show. (I was only about 3 or 4 years old). 

No, Mrs. Beesley was Buffy's doll.  In today's parlance she was her "emotional support doll."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Good grief, the sword of Damocles is hanging over Nonnatus House.  Who's going to get killed off? 

Since it all seems to point to Sr MJ it has to be someone else.  I just hope to heck it's not Phyllis but I have my suspicions that it would be her way to leave the show.  Say it isn't so!

I’d hate for it to be Phyllis!  Not only is she a wonderful character but it would be way, way too unfair for her to be killed off when she finally gets to do the traveling she’s always wanted to do.  

Kept expecting the warehouse to go up in flames.  

I do not like this impending doom thing.  At all.  

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I really enjoyed Matthew without Trixie. He came across as a great guy not just Trixie’s adoring beau.

I agree completely.   The absence of Trixie and Phyllis allowed the writers to focus on some other characters, and character development is always a good thing.  As a Shelagh fan, I loved seeing her get to show her stuff.  (I do wish they would update her hair style to match the times.  It's been the same since she left the order.)

• Love 10

Not my favorite episode, hippies & fortune tellers aren't doing it for me, & they're still playing the same old interviews after the episode ends. The only thing I found interesting was Timothy going off to school. Judging by how he was dressed, he's been sorted into Gryffindor!

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Blackie said:

I've been thinking about this question since last week, and after this episode, I would pick Shelagh. 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

No, Mrs. Beesley was Buffy's doll.  In today's parlance she was her "emotional support doll."

Yes, Mrs. Beesley was the name of the doll, and Buffy always called her something like "my best friend" or "my one true friend." Family Affair is an odd but facinating show, and a favorite among Gen-X. 

2 hours ago, TVFAN said:

As a Shelagh fan, I loved seeing her get to show her stuff.  (I do wish they would update her hair style to match the times.  It's been the same since she left the order.)

I think her keeping the same hairstyle makes sense for who she is. She strikes me as the type who once she's found a hairstyle she likes, she isn't going to change it for no reason. She's practical. Also, she doesn't keep up/doesn't care about the latest trends. 

1 hour ago, J-Man said:

Too bad we didn't get an extended scene of Shelagh in the hippie den. It could've been comedy gold! 

I was thinking about that too. She was shocked by the incorrect grammer in a girl group song earlier in the decade. I would have loved to have heard her thoughts on their psychadelic music.

Also, I know this show has almost no money to license 1960s pop songs. I get that, but I still think they could have had the music department/whoever writes the original music for this show come up with something that sounded more authentically late 1960s/psychadelic. 

As soon as the hippie guy mentioned the big happening, I knew he was going to pick that over Clover/Susan. I felt like they were channeling Dragnet for the hippie storyline.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I loved Family Affair! What memories of watching it growing up. I always had a bit of a thing for Brian Keith too. 

I really wish they wouldn't cut these episodes. Sometimes scenes are so abrupt!

I agree, it was really nice to see Shelagh back in action but wow, what a scene. She really kept her cool in awful circumstances. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I always had a bit of a thing for Brian Keith too. 

So did I.  Every time those kids climbed up on his lap I wanted to push them off and sit there myself.

-----------

What a harrowing episode. I didn't know such a thing could happen.  I wanted to see the baby after the operation without the big padded diaper to see that everything was tucked into place with only a long scar to show later.  Dr. Turner sounded like they don't often live, so I hope we see baby Clover thriving later on.  I was glad we saw Susie's father with her in the hospital, so we can assume she and the baby go home with him.

ETA: I was just reading about gastroschisis and these days 95% of the babies live. I was surprised that it's associated with recreational drug use by the mother.  That makes Lucille's lecture, to the woman who didn't want to bother with vaccinations for her child, all the more meaningful.  Lucille was saying how terrible a mother would feel if she knew her child suffered from something that could have been prevented.  Poor Susie.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Right before I watched this ep on PBS, I saw an episode from season 2 of All Creatures Great and Small that she also guest-starred in - it was on CBC in Canada.

She looked so familiar to me so I looked her up on IMDb to find she’d played the long boat traveler whose dog died in ACGaS. And I also thought she gave off a “Val’s gran” vibe, but the actress was way too thin. I attributed it to actresses of a similar age, with similar training. On another weird IMDb note: casting has a sense of humor. The actor playing JoJo is “known for” his part in “Dark Windows”, originally titled, “The Face in the Window”. 

• Love 2

I was in and out for the first 10 minutes or so of the episode (finishing up laundry) but was there a reason that Matthew couldn't call the police to have them clear out the squatters?  And why was Sister Frances yelling from the street up to Clover?  Why didn't she walk into the building?  "Midwife calling!"  If the people had locked the door, couldn't Matthew have unlocked it, or sought assistance from the police?  If she was concerned for her safety, she could have gone in with someone else, or hey, here's an idea, sought assistance from the police.

I liked Fred's bird catching outfit, especially the goggles. 

One thing I've noticed this season is the distance of Sister Julienne.  It seems most often she is in scenes with just one other person or is in her office.  In the last episode they even had her holding an explosive so she could keep everyone at a safe distance.  I wonder if the actor has underlying health issues that make her especially vulnerable to Covid.  In past seasons, if they were down 2 midwives, she would have been front and center doing home visits and delivering babies.  

• Love 6

As Tim was leaving for school, my first thought was, "Well, this must have been filmed during Covid.  Mum and Dad are standing six feet away from each other, just waving their beloved son off as he leaves for months of school."  It was SO odd.

For those who are interested, Mrs. Beasley reproduction dolls are now available for $119.95.  Hmm.  My "baby" turns 55 this year; I think I'll get one for her.  She went through two of the original dolls during her childhood.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 2/10/2022 at 3:32 AM, purist said:

Yes, it's been really good to see CtM covering miscarriage in such a sensitive and real way. I always appreciate it when TV shows don't wrap this very common and distressing event up in a nice bow in the space of one episode. The effects do linger on

The miscarriage scenes really got to me.  I suffered a couple of miscarriages years ago and I found myself very moved.  The distress she felt is very accurate.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I was in and out for the first 10 minutes or so of the episode (finishing up laundry) but was there a reason that Matthew couldn't call the police to have them clear out the squatters? 

I think there was a cut scene where Mrs Buckle tells him that the council isn't going to help and he can call the police or get rid of them himself. 

My own take on it was that he was trying to be nice about it and didn't want to turn out what amounted to a bunch of homeless art students including a pregnant girl.

• Love 12
On 2/20/2022 at 5:23 AM, katisha said:

Finally, props to the special effects folks for making me have to hide my eyes not once, but twice, over the "rat ulcer" and the poor bub with its intestines outside its body. 🤢

This has been a gruesome season.  I'm thinking a couple of episodes back when the guy's foot came off in his shoe.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, dalek said:

I was surprised that Chekov's parafin cans didn't go anywhere.  I was expecting a fire.

Same! I guess there's still time, since with Trixie away Matthew needs something to do.

7 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I felt like they were channeling Dragnet for the hippie storyline.  

LOL. It did feel like writers trying too hard to be hip.

33 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

My own take on it was that he was trying to be nice about it and didn't want to turn out what amounted to a bunch of homeless art students including a pregnant girl.

This was my feeling, too. Clover being pregnant was the main reason Matthew didn't immediately throw them out, but they also weren't trashing the place (yet).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

As Tim was leaving for school, my first thought was, "Well, this must have been filmed during Covid.  Mum and Dad are standing six feet away from each other, just waving their beloved son off as he leaves for months of school."  It was SO odd.

For those who are interested, Mrs. Beasley reproduction dolls are now available for $119.95.  Hmm.  My "baby" turns 55 this year; I think I'll get one for her.  She went through two of the original dolls during her childhood.

Wow! That is quite a lot. I never wanted one, the doll just didn't appeal to me. 

40 minutes ago, monakane said:

This has been a gruesome season.  I'm thinking a couple of episodes back when the guy's foot came off in his shoe.

Yes it has. The foot scene still gets to me. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

And why was Sister Frances yelling from the street up to Clover?  Why didn't she walk into the building? 

Clover said she didn't want the midwife's help so at that point Sister Frances had no reason to believe she was in danger. 

What were the calling the ulcer the psychic had on her face? I couldn't catch what they were saying. They said it was sort of a benign skin cancer, I wonder if it is called something different today. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Blackie said:

What were the calling the ulcer the psychic had on her face? I couldn't catch what they were saying. They said it was sort of a benign skin cancer, I wonder if it is called something different today. 

It's thje old term for basal cell carcinoma - rodent ulcer.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Rodent ulcer! I looked it up. Interesting. I had a basal carcinoma removed from my scalp just a couple of weeks ago. All is well, no further treatment needed. Hers had been there for a very long time. How did Sister Monica Joan find her son? Much harder before internet.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

How did Sister Monica Joan find her son? Much harder before internet.

Also pretty impressive for SMJ who can't answer the phone or relay messages accurately due to the dementia and is "off with the fairies" as the storyline dictates. Don't mind me, I'm just harping. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

t's thje old term for basal cell carcinoma - rodent ulcer.

I thought that is what they were saying, and  what?  a rat had been gnawing her cheek???  Apparently named that because that is what it looked like. Thankfully they have changed the name.

For some reason I can't get my quotes to spread out so my comment on Matthew and Clover was that I also thought for one second he was thinking that since he had listened to Trixie enough he knew that he could deliver a baby 😀

13 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

For a minute there I was hoping he was going to deliver the baby himself,

13 hours ago, Badger said:

The parts of the episode dealing with the hippies reminded me of an old "Family Affair" episode

I was thinking of Beverly Hillbillies when Granny was attracting the hippies because she was going smoke some crawdads 😀

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Blackie said:

A rodent ulcer.  It's a popular term for a basal cell skin cancer.  Basal cell cancers are usually not fatal but they can be locally invasive into adjacent tissues and need extensive surgery/skin grafts to remove.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

They filmed all of Bridgerton in England during the same time period, so I don't think we can say that it was Covid protocols that are causing the weird filming...when you think about it, this show has always been a little cautious about people touching.  The only couple I can really remember kissing is Tom and Barbara.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

So did I.  Every time those kids climbed up on his lap I wanted to push them off and sit there myself.

-----------

What a harrowing episode. I didn't know such a thing could happen.  I wanted to see the baby after the operation without the big padded diaper to see that everything was tucked into place with only a long scar to show later.  Dr. Turner sounded like they don't often live, so I hope we see baby Clover thriving later on.  I was glad we saw Susie's father with her in the hospital, so we can assume she and the baby go home with him.

ETA: I was just reading about gastroschisis and these days 95% of the babies live. I was surprised that it's associated with recreational drug use by the mother.  That makes Lucille's lecture, to the woman who didn't want to bother with vaccinations for her child, all the more meaningful.  Lucille was saying how terrible a mother would feel if she knew her child suffered from something that could have been prevented.  Poor Susie.

I sort of suspected that drugs might have had something to do with the baby's condition.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

That poor baby with her intestines out! When they first showed it I didn't know what I was seeing. And those idiot "hippies" who didn't even come to help the girl when she was crying out for help-I hope Matthew gives them the boot. Also, I think Matthew was very brave to help Shelagh with the delivery-he was really gung-ho about it. He would be a great match for Trixie (if and when she comes back). One of my dear friends has a daughter whose baby had the same problem a few years ago. Of course, being modern times, they picked it up with ultrasound. As soon as she progressed far enough along in her pregnancy, they took the baby C-section and did  the necessary repairs. He spent some time in the NICU but healed up very well and is a healthy, happy kid. The rodent ulcer creeped me out-I also thought it meant rats had been chewing on that poor gals face! You can really tell all this was filmed during freaking covid-so many scenes where people would be hugging and comforting each other are only allowed to hold hands (if that). Sigh. At least Cyril and Lucille are doing a little better now.

OH-PS. My friends daughter has never done drugs of any kind. The docs thought it was some kind of genetic fluke.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Maisiesmom said:

That poor baby with her intestines out! When they first showed it I didn't know what I was seeing. And those idiot "hippies" who didn't even come to help the girl when she was crying out for help-I hope Matthew gives them the boot. Also, I think Matthew was very brave to help Shelagh with the delivery-he was really gung-ho about it. He would be a great match for Trixie (if and when she comes back). One of my dear friends has a daughter whose baby had the same problem a few years ago. Of course, being modern times, they picked it up with ultrasound. As soon as she progressed far enough along in her pregnancy, they took the baby C-section and did  the necessary repairs. He spent some time in the NICU but healed up very well and is a healthy, happy kid. The rodent ulcer creeped me out-I also thought it meant rats had been chewing on that poor gals face! You can really tell all this was filmed during freaking covid-so many scenes where people would be hugging and comforting each other are only allowed to hold hands (if that). Sigh. At least Cyril and Lucille are doing a little better now.

OH-PS. My friends daughter has never done drugs of any kind. The docs thought it was some kind of genetic fluke.

I especially liked how Cyril discussed trying to be "manly" about it while he was also mourning. 

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, Gizkok said:

I sort of suspected that drugs might have had something to do with the baby's condition.

Highly unlikely.  It's not considered a genetic condition and is also extremely rare.  With the number of drug users, we'd see it more often if that was the cause.

• Useful 2