Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Never Say Never

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, goofygirl said:

My Dad was a type 2 diabetic.  He lost weight the old fashioned way. Diet and exercise. He didn't have 100's of pounds to lose just about 25 or 30 pounds but he did it and got off ALL diabetes medication.

Kudos to your dad. Doing things the old fashioned way isn't easy but it's incredibly satisfying.

The problem/question is that Chris claimed to be Type 1 Diabetic & can someone w/Type 1 get to the point where they don't need insulin or pills? IDK.

Edited by lulu69
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

Kudos to your dad. Doing things the old fashioned way isn't easy but it's incredibly satisfying.

The problem/question is that Chris claimed to be Type 1 Diabetic & can someone w/Type 1 get to the point where they don't need insulin or pills? IDK.

Type 1 here. A type 1 diabetic can never get off insulin. It’s not possible. Life expectancy without insulin averages 5-7 days. And Chris did claim to be type 1 but obviously that was wrong if he’s off insulin. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

To be fair to Amy, we only see a sliver of what she's doing.  Cleaning her new house isn't going to make the cut for TV, ditto for cooking.   

I'm assuming that Gage's birthday party was more than just cake in a park; that's just the part they showed. 

I thought it was a positive sign that she and Micheal met with a pediatric dietitian.  That's the complete opposite from the way she was raised.  I believe she wants to do the best she can for Gage.  There is no evidence that Gage is anything but a happy, healthy baby. 

Okay, this reads like I'm the president of the Amy fanclub or something lol but I'm generally going to cheer when people are trying to improve their lives and food addiction isn't something that is easy to manage but if anything can motivate a mom it's her child. 

Amy talks a good game but a lot of generalities.  She doesn’t want Gage to grow up like she did, she doesn’t want a dirty house like she grew up in, she wants to be in better shape for Gage.   But what has she actually done?

They bought a home thanks to her husband’s steady work history. If she was serious about wanting better for Gage she’s had a year to work on these goals and instead she is heavier than ever and Michael hasn’t lost a pound.  Michael is so agreeable that if Amy decided to cook only healthy food with normal portions he would do it and he would naturally lose weight. Amy is about 5’ tall and is maintaining about 150 lbs more than she should weigh. 

Gage is only one year old.  It’s easy to keep a baby’s weight in check.  I hope the next season shows more about what they all eat and changes, if any, that they made. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, lulu69 said:

This ^^. Was going to say, currently in my school district, high school special education & life skills students are eligible for the honor roll & high honor roll. Many parents feel  this is not fair. Parents on both sides have been very vocal about it.

To bring it back to Tammy, just because Tammy graduated with honors doesn't necessarily mean much. She could have crushed AP Physics and Calculus or excelled in a remedial or life skills class. Unless we see her school records we'll  never know for sure.

That’s awfully petty of the parents.  If students with learning disabilities are able to persevere and do the work even when they have a huge obstacle always there making it ten times harder, they deserve their honors.  
Even if Tammy was in lower classes or in a lousy school she did the work and passed the classes with high marks. No small feat when no one at home cares and you’re tormented by bullies at school.   

• Love 15
On 1/31/2022 at 11:34 AM, sadie said:

I am coming to dislike Amy more and more. “I can take care of two”, ummmm, your baby was crawling around with roaches and mice droppings, you are living in sloth because you are “too busy” to clean a pot with 3 month old stew in it, you’re not tending to your own health because you are too busy (or fill in excuse here), but yea, you can handle two. Such an irresponsible woman and it makes me upset to think of how those kids will grow up. 

I can't "dislike" Amy, but I feel sorry for her baby, her husband, and her.  She's simply ignorant about too many things--including whether she is able to take care of even one child...well.  She has the best intentions. She's a good-hearted person who wasn't taught much by her mother (also ignorant) and other family members while growing up.  She would need a live-in personal assistant/homemaker for at least a year to teach her how to run a household and raise children.  AND...she would have to be willing to work...and work HARD!  Amy's not a dumb person, although the public and she probably believe she is.  Poverty and ignorance are a sad and dangerous combination.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, Bluesky said:

No small feat when no one at home cares and you’re tormented by bullies at school.   

THANK YOU!!!  It's possible everyone at in the extended family had been tormented by bullies--always...generations of abuse.  They seem like a big group who were forced to avoid most of the outside world's judgment, just plugging along doing their best for their little clan.  Also, we all see how THEY live...but do they see how ordinary people live in the USA?   Not celebrities--not people featured on television.  Perhaps they would be shocked at our clean (enough) houses and well-mannered and happy (enough) families.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Bluesky said:

Amy talks a good game but a lot of generalities.  She doesn’t want Gage to grow up like she did, she doesn’t want a dirty house like she grew up in, she wants to be in better shape for Gage.   But what has she actually done?

They bought a home thanks to her husband’s steady work history. If she was serious about wanting better for Gage she’s had a year to work on these goals and instead she is heavier than ever and Michael hasn’t lost a pound.  Michael is so agreeable that if Amy decided to cook only healthy food with normal portions he would do it and he would naturally lose weight. Amy is about 5’ tall and is maintaining about 150 lbs more than she should weigh. 

Gage is only one year old.  It’s easy to keep a baby’s weight in check.  I hope the next season shows more about what they all eat and changes, if any, that they made. 

I hear you, but at the same time, she married a man who works and is seemingly stable. That is way more than she was raised in. She won’t get it perfect, none of us do, but she’s getting some of the big things right and seems open up continuing to learn more about how to do better. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Bluesky said:

That’s awfully petty of the parents.  If students with learning disabilities are able to persevere and do the work even when they have a huge obstacle always there making it ten times harder, they deserve their honors.  
Even if Tammy was in lower classes or in a lousy school she did the work and passed the classes with high marks. No small feat when no one at home cares and you’re tormented by bullies at school.   

That's an excellent point. When I was in high school there was Advanced Placement level, Average level and something lower I cannot recall for each class. While I took AP for all English classes I was enrolled in Average for Math. Had  I tried AP Math I am sure instead of the A or B I achieved each year I would have had C's or worse. The transcripts sent to colleges indicated which level I was enrolled in and it made a difference. While I was accepted at all state schools I applied to one private school sent a rejection and the other wait listed me. I eventually enrolled at UMASS Amherst and have found throughout my career that no one is interested in where I went, just that I have a degree.

If parents are upset that their AP kids are lumped in with those below them they can take heart in the fact that it comes into play when applying to college. It also plays a part in class ranking. If you looked just at my letter grades I appeared to be a genius but I wasn't even in the top 100 students out of 470.

I do think Tammy isn't dumb. She is home all day, things she reads or watches on TV have to sink in. She at least has average intelligence and I think she could handle a myriad of jobs. I would love to see her lose the weight and perhaps enroll in a local community college, I could see her in an insurance office or learning medical billing for example. Something where she could get out and meet people beyond her family. Sigh, I dream....

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Bluesky said:

I agree with this, we haven't seen her put anything she has learned into practice. I'm hoping since the cleaners came to the old house she understands the need to keep a tidy home and will do so in the new house. Anyone can learn to clean and she can budget her time to do so each day. It's been over 2 years since her surgery and the importance of a healthy diet was explained to her repeatedly, we know she followed the rules at one point in order to lose weight. She could buy cookbooks, search online recipes or watch cooking shows on TV. I bet if she wanted it TLC would love to film her taking classes in her home to learn healthy cooking. And any chef or instructor would jump at the chance for advertisement. She just has to want to learn and then actually follow through. I'm not sure she does though, I think she's content to fall back on old habits. It is possible to be raised a certain way but break the cycle as an adult, Amy is smart enough to know this and we have seen her take the step of home ownership. She just needs to apply change to other areas like diet and exercise as a family. She also needs to make sure she takes her children's education seriously by pushing them to do their best. She did say she wants college for Gage so hopefully she stays on top of his class work when the time comes.

I remember one episode she discussed goal weight with her doctor and she mentioned something in the 200's.  I believe the Dr responded with 150 but could be wrong. She seemed shocked and said she didn't want to be "too skinny." When it comes to weight I think she sees only her family (especially Tammy) and considers herself in pretty good shape

• Love 11
5 hours ago, silversage said:

When Amy and her sister were decorating for the party she asked Amy where Gage was and she said he wasn't there because it is a surprise party. I loved the look on her face and her reply of he's only one!

I loved that.  At one, almost everything is a surprise.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, CapeCodLuv said:

I remember one episode she discussed goal weight with her doctor and she mentioned something in the 200's.  I believe the Dr responded with 150 but could be wrong. She seemed shocked and said she didn't want to be "too skinny." When it comes to weight I think she sees only her family (especially Tammy) and considers herself in pretty good shape

That’s what I remember as well. She told Dr. Procter that she didn’t “want to look anorexic.”

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

And Amy is no better than Tammy. Amy is (as mentioned by other posters) going to keep pumping out the babies till she has a girl. All the while eating junk food and gaining weight.  

Until she has TWO girls close together, since she's said she wants to replicate the Tammy/Amy dynamic.  

Shades of Tori Roloff trying for an average-size daughter.

I've always known Tammy was the more intelligent one and, in many ways, the more honest one.  Between her shady past, her fake crying, her victim stories, her bone laziness, and her enabling Tammy by constantly bringing her food, not an Amy fan.

Also, does she smoke around that child?  Her laugh sounds like it.  Must be nice to have Tammy around as the fall guy to point the accusing finger at, but three are pointing back at her!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

not an Amy fan

Neither am I. The more I see the more I know I don't like her. And Amy's delusional idea that she is not really fat simply because she isn't as big as Tammy, is b.s.

15 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Amy had said that she was going to have her tubes tied after she gives birth this summer, so she may be satisfied with two sons.

I will bet 3 chocolate fudge sundaes that Amy will not get her tubes tied until she has a girl. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, charmed1 said:

That’s what I remember as well. She told Dr. Procter that she didn’t “want to look anorexic.”

Amy reminds me so much of the ones on My 600 lb. Life who only wanted to lose some weight, thought the surgery was a magic bullet, and didn't want to get too skinny, which was at least 250 or higher.    Amy just wanted to lose enough to get pregnant, and I don't believe she'll quit at two children either.    I think she'll keep getting pregnant until she can't, and will have as many kids as she possibly can.   I don't believe anything she says any more.   

There is no reason that she couldn't use the move to the new house to clean up, and get organized, and keep it neat.    Moving in and having a neat house is so much easier to start off with, than moving all of her stuff, and having to straighten up after.    I bet half of the stuff they moved could have been junked.   As for dragging that nasty mattress through the dirt, and then using it, that's such a dirty thing to do.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Seems like it would be easier for Michael to get the snip.

I'm pretty sure Michael does what Amy tells him. Otherwise he wouldn't be hauling Tammy's 700 pounds around and sealing his fate for his future with back problems.

• Love 10
On 2/1/2022 at 9:10 AM, charmed1 said:
On 2/1/2022 at 9:10 AM, charmed1 said:

Researchers need to study Tammy. She’s the freaking bionic woman. How do you manage to weigh a million pounds, die three times, get Covid, lie comatose for three days, get put on a vent, and still survive? 

And all while over eating, drinking and vaping!  She's definitely like a cat with 9 lives.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

I've always known Tammy was the more intelligent one and, in many ways, the more honest one.  Between her shady past, her fake crying, her victim stories, her bone laziness, and her enabling Tammy by constantly bringing her food, not an Amy fan.

Also, does she smoke around that child?  Her laugh sounds like it.  Must be nice to have Tammy around as the fall guy to point the accusing finger at, but three are pointing back at her!

I have gotten where you are with regard to Amy.  

I noticed that cigarette laugh too.  I used to smoke a pack a day and I never sounded like that. So I wonder how many packs of cigarettes a day she is smoking.  And that is fine, just don’t lecture Tammy about not “doing right.”  And I am not judging because, it has been 25 years, and there are still days I would kill for a cigarette!  It’s the hypocrisy that gets to me.

19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

As for dragging that nasty mattress through the dirt, and then using it, that's such a dirty thing to do.      

Not to mention how filthy it was before it was dragged through the dirt.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 9

The supersized episode tonight showed two bonus scenes: (1) Amy, Michael, and Gage eating at a restaurant, discussing Gage and food; Amy remarks that she and Michael go out to eat almost every night and that she has to not only learn to cook healthy but learn to cook period, saying she can't even boil water; and (2) Amy and Chris waiting for Dr. Smith to show up at the restaurant, saying that Dr. Smith is traveling three hours to see Tammy because he wants her to succeed.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

The supersized episode tonight showed two bonus scenes: (1) Amy, Michael, and Gage eating at a restaurant, discussing Gage and food; Amy remarks that she and Michael go out to eat almost every night and that she has to not only learn to cook healthy but learn to cook period, saying she can't even boil water; and (2) Amy and Chris waiting for Dr. Smith to show up at the restaurant, saying that Dr. Smith is traveling three hours to see Tammy because he wants her to succeed.

Did they show their plates?  

You don’t need to cook fruits and vegetables or turkey sandwiches or chicken noodle soup.  They have frozen dinners, Healthy Choice, with the calories listed.    The excuses they come up with are shameless.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 2/3/2022 at 1:58 AM, swankie said:

And all while over eating, drinking and vaping!  She's definitely like a cat with 9 lives.

I'm gonna start calling her: BOOMERANG TAMMY.  What genes she must have - or a guardian angel (can't believe that).. something.

On 2/2/2022 at 9:21 PM, chenoa333 said:

Amy telling Dr. Proctor she doesn't want to look anorexic? The chances of THAT happening are slim to none. And Slim's out of town

The day she becomes anorexic is the day I dance in the middle of town naked.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Bluesky said:

Did they show their plates?  

Yes.  Some sort of "Chinese" restaurant.  Amy had broccolini and peanut chicken skewers that she shared with Gage.  He loved it.  Amy seemed to be repeating lessons learned by the pediatric dietician: Kids will like to eat what they see their parents like to eat, etc.  She repeated that she really wanted to start Gage out on the right foot where food is concerned.  And she added that while they go out to eat almost every night there are always good choices on any menu (like salads and chicken, etc.) but she wanted to learn how to cook healthy food - now that she knows what that means.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 2/1/2022 at 2:59 AM, SDVegas said:

I loved Chris being able to buy a 3-piece suit off the rack. 

And it fit him well!  Usually these reveals are sort of embarrassing because the suit really is a little (or a lot) too small.  He is a  success story.

I truly thought Tammy was going to die, that we would have the black screen of judgment giving dates of birth and death, but thank dog she survived.  Finding out she was smarter (or at least a better student) than her siblings must've made it triply hard to have them telling her what to do, nagging her constantly.  I hope she stays in rehab long enough to get a handle on her weight.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

Yes.  Some sort of "Chinese" restaurant.  Amy had broccolini and peanut chicken skewers that she shared with Gage.  He loved it.  Amy seemed to be repeating lessons learned by the pediatric dietician: Kids will like to eat what they see their parents like to eat, etc.  She repeated that she really wanted to start Gage out on the right foot where food is concerned.  And she added that while they go out to eat almost every night there are always good choices on any menu (like salads and chicken, etc.) but she wanted to learn how to cook healthy food - now that she knows what that means.  

I was totally grossed out that neither Amy or Michael stopped Gage from chewing (gumming?) the side of the table in the restaurant!  That had me yelling at them to stop it!  Eww!

• Love 5
On 2/4/2022 at 11:02 AM, Cosmocrush said:

She had sweet tea to drink and was giving Gage sips of that.  Later it looked like Gage had sweet tea in his bottle.

56 minutes ago, TazDevil said:

She had sweet tea to drink and was giving Gage sips of that.  Later it looked like Gage had sweet tea in his bottle.

As a diabetic myself, I still don’t understand how she eats and drinks the stuff she does. I know we only see her weight loss struggles, not her other medical appointments, but her A1C has to be through the roof. And why does a baby need sweet tea? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, Ria said:

And why does a baby need sweet tea?

I predict he's going to have a bad case of "bottle mouth" when he gets his teeth and Amy will claim ignorance about putting him to bed with a bottle. I hope the pediatric dietician addressed this issue. 

While we're on the subject of teeth, something that's been bothering me all season, what happened to Tammy getting her missing tooth replaced? Did she not go back to the dentist? Even wearing a "flipper" would fill in that space but maybe that would interfere with her eating? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/4/2022 at 7:01 AM, Boston said:

I'm gonna start calling her: BOOMERANG TAMMY.  What genes she must have - or a guardian angel (can't believe that).. something.

The day she becomes anorexic is the day I dance in the middle of town naked.

I'll join you in all that you've mentioned!  It's amazing to me that BOOM! is perfectly happy to survive now with a trach!  Like seriously, did she take the classes they offer new trach patients on the care of said trach?  Not just to depend on other people to help you if you have trouble but things you are able to do to YOURSELF if you need to?  

I'm doubtful.

• Love 2
On 2/4/2022 at 5:04 PM, Mothra said:

And it fit him well!  Usually these reveals are sort of embarrassing because the suit really is a little (or a lot) too small.  He is a  success story.

I know, I was dreading him coming out the door but it actually fit.   He works at McDonalds so I hope he can stay away from those Big Macs. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/5/2022 at 12:57 PM, TazDevil said:

So now the child has a taste for sugar drinks at 12 months old.  My pediatrician said they should drink milk and water.  No juice, it’s not necessary, just whole fruits.  I can’t imagine that sweet tea is on the list of do’s from the pediatric nutritionist.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 2/2/2022 at 3:00 AM, Back Atcha said:

THANK YOU!!!  It's possible everyone at in the extended family had been tormented by bullies--always...generations of abuse.  They seem like a big group who were forced to avoid most of the outside world's judgment, just plugging along doing their best for their little clan.  Also, we all see how THEY live...but do they see how ordinary people live in the USA?   Not celebrities--not people featured on television.  Perhaps they would be shocked at our clean (enough) houses and well-mannered and happy (enough) families.

I wonder about this, though.  I'm not sure that they stood out for their obesity.  There are swaths of obesity, especially throughout the South, where overweight is normal.  I wonder what their classmates looked like--I'd like to see some photos from their yearbooks.

Actually, I don't doubt that some of the family was bullied about their looks.  I think maybe Chris looked OK, especially if he played football.  And there's one sister, maybe two who are sort of pretty.  If they all had those Brahman bull lumps of fat on their foreheads, well, that's another story.  If they attended a school full of obese kids who all drank sweet tea morning till night, maybe they didn't stick out so much.  Maybe.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Caffeine in tea would not be good for a baby either, I wouldn't think?

He certainly doesn’t need it but the sugar is far worse. In a lot of cultures giving babies small amounts of tea or coffee is common. Although in this case I not going out a limb thinking it’s less cultural tradition and more letting Gage eat and drink the same sugary stuff they eat. 

• Love 3
On 1/31/2022 at 10:34 AM, sadie said:

I am coming to dislike Amy more and more. “I can take care of two”, ummmm, your baby was crawling around with roaches and mice droppings, you are living in sloth because you are “too busy” to clean a pot with 3 month old stew in it, you’re not tending to your own health because you are too busy (or fill in excuse here), but yea, you can handle two. Such an irresponsible woman and it makes me upset to think of how those kids will grow up. 

Tammys story just felt like it was the end of the season and she knew she needed to do something to keep the gravy train rolling. She’s drinking and smoking and they all wonder why her lungs have given up. Is anyone surprised she had to go to the hospital and she’s lost 100 pounds in a month, that puts her at almost the magic 550, do we really believe she’s healthy enough to have surgery as the doctor promised at that weight. She has a tract in for gods sake, I can’t imagine her going under the knife.

I just dont think this show should be renewed unless something drastic happens with BOTH these sisters and how they live, because it all just feels like they are scamming us at this point. 

Tammy would be an anesthesiologist's worst nightmare, between her weight and her severe respiratory issues.  

I'm still expecting to go to this forum one day and find her body gave up the fight and she passed away.  

I cannot believe Amy wants another baby already.  Good gawd almighty, it seems she can barely keep up with Gage much less another infant.  

I find the new house rather odd, for lack of a better word.  I can't quite figure out if that's a big paved driveway right outside the front door or if it's an actual small parking lot.  I was wondering if the structure didn't serve some other purpose (doctor's office or something of that nature) before they bought it.  Maybe it's a regional thing where that large parking area is actually normal.  Just a little detail I, for no good reason, perseverate over.

I couldn't eye roll enough when Amy went to see the pediatric nutritionist, concerned about overfeeding Gage and then gives him a hunk of cake that would feed 4 people at his sad little birthday party.  Poor Gage.  He's going to be a human log of bologna if Amy doesn't start incorporating something more nutritious than circus crackers into his diet.  

• Love 6
On 2/2/2022 at 9:04 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I loved that.  At one, almost everything is a surprise.  

For sure. Wait til Gage gets a little bit older and learns what his mom and aunt do for a "living". But it's also possible Gage will be obese too so maybe TLC will just add him to this pathetic show.

• Love 3
On 2/1/2022 at 7:36 AM, Ria said:

I wouldn’t go that far but maybe she got good grades in low level classes in an undemanding school. Both these sisters are dumb as rocks. I actually think they come off as borderline mentally impaired. 

100% agree.

Also, to my knowledge, these are all full siblings yet Amy and Tammy appear to possibly have some sort of syndrome going on whereas the other siblings don't.  Amanda and Chris could pass for twins, the other older sister seems to have normal features as well, yet Amy and Tammy appear to have...well, something that manifested physically going on.

With no proof whatsoever, I've wondered a few times if Darlene could have become quite a drinker at some point and Tammy and Amy have fetal alcohol syndrome or something else going on.  

(I had surgery a couple of weeks ago so maybe the pain medication is causing me to ponder things I normally wouldn't so forgive me in advance if I sound like a loon 😂 )

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

Also, to my knowledge, these are all full siblings yet Amy and Tammy appear to possibly have some sort of syndrome going on whereas the other siblings don't. 

Only Amy and Tammy are Slatons, they had a different father.  I’d continue watching the older siblings but these two are lost causes and I’m done watching them.  (Mind you I’ll still read this forum!)   As much as Amy whinges about being a “good mom” she doesn’t have much interest in keeping a clean house and learning to cook healthy food.  Taking Tammy in will just be her new excuse.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I have also wondered about that-they don't seem to resemble the older sibs that much (maybe different daddy?) But the one thing that stands out to me is Amy's addiction to her sister. She is always saying "I wish Tammy was here" or "Do you think Tammy would like/want that". Now I get they were probably tight as children since the older sibs were already grown and gone and maybe only had each other as kids, but damn-you are adults now so make your own way into the world. My sis and I were tight as kids too (RIP) but as adults we didn't have that kind of relationship.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

100% agree.

Also, to my knowledge, these are all full siblings yet Amy and Tammy appear to possibly have some sort of syndrome going on whereas the other siblings don't.  Amanda and Chris could pass for twins, the other older sister seems to have normal features as well, yet Amy and Tammy appear to have...well, something that manifested physically going on.

With no proof whatsoever, I've wondered a few times if Darlene could have become quite a drinker at some point and Tammy and Amy have fetal alcohol syndrome or something else going on.  

(I had surgery a couple of weeks ago so maybe the pain medication is causing me to ponder things I normally wouldn't so forgive me in advance if I sound like a loon 😂 )

Amy and Tammy seem to favor their mother.  They have the same square faces and downturned lips.  The other siblings have a different father who they seem to take after. They lucked out in the looks department. Guess Amy and Tammy's father's DNA couldn't compete with that from Mama. 

I think Amy plays up the country yokel persona for the cameras.  I also don't sense that she is particularly bright; she's certainly doesn't seem well-educated or very curious.  However, I don't think she is necessarily of extremely low intelligence or has any intellectual disabilities.  Her eyesight may well have made learning more of a struggle, and her family likely did not have either the resources or desire to get her additional help. 

Tammy seems smarter, but she is so very damaged. She is not as invested in playing country bumpkin.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Tammy would be an anesthesiologist's worst nightmare, between her weight and her severe respiratory issues. 

In my experience they are very careful about weight. If you are thin then you recover faster from anesthesia. Something about fat holding on to it longer. Definitely with the respiratory issues too. It's probably why she ends up in the hospital as long as she does.

I do wish she would care about herself. I think Amy is seeing the writing on the wall.

• Love 5
On 2/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, Persnickety1 said:

I couldn't eye roll enough when Amy went to see the pediatric nutritionist, concerned about overfeeding Gage and then gives him a hunk of cake that would feed 4 people at his sad little birthday party. 

I think the piece of cake Amy gave Gage is what has become popular to give a one year old at his birthday called a "smash cake." My grandson had never had cake like that and just looked at his tentatively, finally sticking his finger in it, but Gage knew exactly what to do with his! 

I had to laugh at the interviews afterwards where everyone had blue lips from the icing.

edited to add: Even if Amy was fully aware that she shouldn’t give Gage such a big piece, I’m sure she would justify it because his birthday should be a “cheat day” for everyone there. She had quite a big piece herself 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

I was binge watching this show on Sunday.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:57 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Amy and Tammy seem to favor their mother.  They have the same square faces and downturned lips.  The other siblings have a different father who they seem to take after. They lucked out in the looks department. Guess Amy and Tammy's father's DNA couldn't compete with that from Mama. 

I think Amy plays up the country yokel persona for the cameras.  I also don't sense that she is particularly bright; she's certainly doesn't seem well-educated or very curious.  However, I don't think she is necessarily of extremely low intelligence or has any intellectual disabilities.  Her eyesight may well have made learning more of a struggle, and her family likely did not have either the resources or desire to get her additional help. 

Tammy seems smarter, but she is so very damaged. She is not as invested in playing country bumpkin.   

I thought I read online that Misty is by one father, Chris and Amanda are by another father and Tammy and Amy are by a third father. Also, the older three siblings seem more (cough ) "higher functioning" and I assume hold jobs and clean their house. I wonder if the mother's problems got worse as she got older or did the older three spend more time with the grandmother who taught them basic housekeeping and cooking?

I know that it is partly due to her background but the episode where the organizers came was totally gross. A dead mouse on your shelf next to food?!! I wonder if the organizer coming was something the producers suggested rather than Amy initiating it. Still, I hope she gets it together for Gage and the new baby.

• Love 7