Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E10: The Final

• Start Topic

Chigs was robbed!

Just kidding. At the end of the day, I'm happy to see Guiseppe win. I am, however, a bit confused because we never really got inside the judges' heads enough to explain the decision. It really did seem like Crystelle was running away with it until that focaccia disaster, and it seemed like Chigs had overall fewer problems with his signature and showstopper. I was really kind of expecting Chigs to win. I'm a bit baffled, mostly. But I can't say I'm disappointed because, honestly, I loved all three of them. And at the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me which one walks away with a glass cake stand. I got to see my three favorites together for one more episode and that's really what counts. 

I did, however, think the technical was bullshit. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Chigs was robbed!

Just kidding. At the end of the day, I'm happy to see Guiseppe win. I am, however, a bit confused because we never really got inside the judges' heads enough to explain the decision. It really did seem like Crystelle was running away with it until that focaccia disaster, and it seemed like Chigs had overall fewer problems with his signature and showstopper. I was really kind of expecting Chigs to win. I'm a bit baffled, mostly. But I can't say I'm disappointed because, honestly, I loved all three of them. And at the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me which one walks away with a glass cake stand. I got to see my three favorites together for one more episode and that's really what counts. 

I did, however, think the technical was bullshit. 

Chigs's signature cake may have the best looking, but from what they said it was the worst bake. The issues they cited for the other two, they attributed to the cakes not being cool, but they were positive about the quality of the bakes overall. With Chigs's, they had a problem with the texture of the cake because of his recipe, not the condition in which it was served. It seemed as if he and Giuseppe were about equal in the showstopper, though, from a baking POV.

• Love 5

So happy for Giuseppe though there were moments where I thought each one of them would win. I wonder how Crystelle didn’t notice the problem with the bread before she presented it, and I agree it’s why she didn’t win. I love the idea of her and Chiggs together!

• Love 1

I watched Crystelle making the focaccia, & even though making boiling water is a culinary stretch for me, I could see that there was no way that was going to work. I expected that it was going to be bread that was dripping oil, I was surprised that it wasn't even cooked though. Anyway, I always thought it was going to be Jurgen or Giuseppe, so once I got over my shock when we lost Jurgen last week, I kind of thought it was going to be Giuseppe for the win.

• Love 3

All the showstoppers were visually very pretty. It's a shame that Crystelle's focaccia bread was raw, because she was slightly in the lead going into the final challenge, and may have won if not for that. 

Giuseppe hugging the plate at the end got me emotional. It's great that he and his dad are going to write a cookbook together to preserve their recipes. 

I always love seeing the updates at the end with all the contestants hanging out together after the show is over. Lizzie and Freya's road trip looked like fun. It makes me happy to see how much the contestants bond every season. 

• Love 10

It makes me happy to see how much the contestants bond every season. 

Both Crystelle and Chigs looked so genuinely happy for Giuseppe when they announced his name. You'd almost think Noel had said their names by the expression on their faces. 

• Love 14
11 hours ago, irisheyes said:

She explained a bit on IG. Basically, she had so much oil that it never got hot enough to actually cook the bread. 

My daughter and I (both bakers) wondered about that. It was basically swimming in oil, but I thought Oh well she said she learned about it on Bread Week.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, caitmcg said:

It seemed as if he and Giuseppe were about equal in the showstopper, though, from a baking POV.

But definitely not from a showstopper POV. Appearance is nearly equal to taste for the showstopper, and Chigs’ was more impressive to both judges.

I’m convinced Paul and Prue factored in  Giuseppe’s performance the whole season. Which seems to be different from the judging for prior finals.

• Love 6

I love watching these bakers make things I'd never attempt. But beyond the baking, it's the personalities that really get me. They all seem like such nice people, rooting each other on, helping one another.  By the time the final comes round I don't care who wins, they are all great bakers and seem like genuinely nice people.  Happy tv, rare these days.

• Love 22
9 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

So happy for Giuseppe though there were moments where I thought each one of them would win. I wonder how Crystelle didn’t notice the problem with the bread before she presented it, and I agree it’s why she didn’t win. I love the idea of her and Chiggs together!

Crystelle kept talking about the oil in the cake..... you could see it floating in it at one point. I do believe that cost her, but she was over the moo that Giuseppe won!

I don't know if it has been mentioned on these boards but it looked to me as if his father had dementia. I don't recall him mentioning it on the show. It would explain why he went out there to be with him. 

55 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Crystelle kept talking about the oil in the cake..... you could see it floating in it at one point. I do believe that cost her, but she was over the moo that Giuseppe won!

I don't know if it has been mentioned on these boards but it looked to me as if his father had dementia. I don't recall him mentioning it on the show. It would explain why he went out there to be with him. 

I was wondering this too. It did kind of seem like that. I also unfortunately was in the group that thought it was going to say that he passed away at the end. I'm glad that isn't the case, but it still seemed like time is limited, which is why Giuseppe went home. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, kay1864 said:

But definitely not from a showstopper POV. Appearance is nearly equal to taste for the showstopper, and Chigs’ was more impressive to both judges.

I disagree about appearance being nearly equal in importance (at least if everybody is somewhere in a reasonable middle range), but in any event, I thought the appearance of his centerpiece cheshire cat cake didn't work at all. They whisked past their comments on on it pretty quickly, really only noting that he hadn't had time to put a smile on it, but it was a pretty glaring problem, I thought, in an otherwise quite successful presentation, and not just because it lacked the smile. I don't think they needed to say anything else about it because we could see the problem for ourselves, and of course it tasted good, so that somewhat made up for it. 

I couldn't tell who was going to win; the previous week I thought it was pretty obvious that Juergen was going (and Crystelle was star baker), although I sort of hoped that they would put all four through, and felt it would have been justified. This week, 1 & 2 seemed close, with Crystelle unfortunately out of the running because of the focaccia. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A perfectly satisfying finale! I’m so glad the showstopper challenge provided the opportunity for really appealing work, rather than the odd work-around creations of some previous years. 

I do explicitly remember Paul saying in a previous finale (maybe even last season’s?) that at that point they do consider the whole season’s accomplishments, not just the final episode. Not sure if that’s official, and/or if they regretted airing it, and/or if they should have repeated it this season. All that said (or speculated), I would have been happy with any of the three finalists winning, based both on their finale performances and the nine weeks previous. I also would have loved to see Juergen in the finale, just because I enjoyed him, but not at the expense of the other three. 

• Love 7

I’m convinced Paul and Prue factored in  Giuseppe’s performance the whole season. Which seems to be different from the judging for prior finals.

I think that's quite likely, and I have no issue with it. The comments from Paul and Prue after announcing the winner did seem to suggest they factored in what he'd done all season long. Paul, in particular, pointed out he suspected Giuseppe would win on Day 1. 

Prior to the announcement, it sounded like it came down to a close call between Giuseppe and Chigs. Season-long performance might have been the tie-breaker.

I think it's ironic that Crystelle said she had a recurring nightmare about her focaccia. 

A little of Noel goes a long way but I did like his American accent doing the movie preview of Giuseppe. "Arms as long as other people's legs."

• Love 8
3 hours ago, akr said:

I thought the appearance of his centerpiece cheshire cat cake didn't work at all. They whisked past their comments on on it pretty quickly, really only noting that he hadn't had time to put a smile on it, but it was a pretty glaring problem, I thought, in an otherwise quite successful presentation, and not just because it lacked the smile.

I'm wouldn't have been surprised if they took points away from Chigs for that amateurish-looking cake.  When he said he was doing a Cheshire Cat, I assumed he would be carving a body with a head and a tail, not an ordinary round cake with a couple of ears stuck on it.  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I'm wouldn't have been surprised if they took points away from Chigs for that amateurish-looking cake.  When he said he was doing a Cheshire Cat, I assumed he would be carving a body with a head and a tail, not an ordinary round cake with a couple of ears stuck on it. 

With the time he had, he should have just done the smile. That's the first thing and the last thing you see when it comes to Cheshires!

• Love 12

I thought Guiseppe's and Chigs's showstoppers both looked underwhelming, especially compared to Crystelle's. But the foccacia was unforgiveable, which sucked because to that point in the episode, it sounded like it was hers to lose.

Also that Cheshire Cat cake looked like Totoro to me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, kay1864 said:

My daughter and I (both bakers) wondered about that. It was basically swimming in oil, but I thought Oh well she said she learned about it on Bread Week.

She said that in bread week she learned foccaccia should be oily and "So i thought the more oil the better." Whoops!  I also heard her say she was setting the oven timer for 15 minutes, which seemed light.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Lark said:

With the time he had, he should have just done the smile. That's the first thing and the last thing you see when it comes to Cheshires!

Agreed! How long would it take to pipe a big smile? He already had the icing, probably less than a minute. 

• Love 5

Hurray for Giuseppe!  What an emotional finale.  I would have been happy with any of them but we'll deserved for Giuseppe.

That said I felt so bad for Crystelle and her focaccia.  She likely would have won had that gone right.  Glad she finally won a technical.

I'm also happy that Chigs ended on a good showstopper.  His first day was all over the place.

Great season and loved the road trip with Freya and Lizzie.  I love how everyone stays friends.

• Love 8

Noel and Matt were *this close* to ruining the season for me. Their cringy, childish, “look at me, aren’t I funny” antics pissed me off to no end.  I will definitely be using the mute button more often on the holiday special and for seasons to come. The Netflix trailer for the holiday episode looks like it’s Matt and Tom Allen as hosts so I may actually lose my mind. This show used to be about darling bakers in a charming, idyllic country setting. Not about a couple of ridiculous, attention-hungry idiots who try to steal the show. 

That being said, I was happy for Giuseppe. And yes to Chigs and Crystelle saving humanity by hooking up and having blindingly gorgeous offspring.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, kay1864 said:

How long would it take to pipe a big smile? He already had the icing, probably less than a minute. 

Not to mention he was the only one who wasn't rushing at the end; he literally stood back, done, well before time was called.

I'm torn between disappointment for Chigs and happiness for Guiseppe. This might be one of my favorite seasons in terms of baker likeability. I was really pleased Chigs had a basically flawless Showstopper after his issues in the first two rounds.

Doesn't Guiseppe have a wife and several sons? He mentioned them a lot in the first few weeks... I realize his dad made for a better story, but I still found it odd that the wife and kids didn't get so much as a mention or a video or anything in the finale.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Doesn't Guiseppe have a wife and several sons? He mentioned them a lot in the first few weeks... I realize his dad made for a better story, but I still found it odd that the wife and kids didn't get so much as a mention or a video or anything in the finale.

Yep. In interviews Giuseppe has mentioned 3 sons and that he never told where he was going. I feel they incorporated the Father to explain why Giuseppe was working back home in Milan—he’s supposedly commuting though they didn’t say how often he travels between countries—and a great segue to promote their book. (I wonder if the Bake Off receives any royalties like other talent competitions that take profits from album sales or such.)

Going back to the intros in the first episode, the clip showed and mentioned Giuseppe passing on baking skills to his three sons, but no mention of a wife, which was odd if he was married. Maybe he’s divorced or separated?

Or maybe he prefers they be kept out of the limelight.  It's a scary world today, I'd think twice before exposing my kids to potential crazies who think they own part of me because they watched me on tv for a few weeks.  

• Love 11
59 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

Or maybe he prefers they be kept out of the limelight.  It's a scary world today, I'd think twice before exposing my kids to potential crazies who think they own part of me because they watched me on tv for a few weeks.  

Unfortunately this is probably the likely reason. Him (and their mother don't know if they are still together) decided that it wasn't worth it. They can privately be proud of him. 

Random thought/question. This is the first season where I noticed that they seem to switch out mixers between challenges. I first noticed in the last episode with Crystelle, she had a different colored mixer for each challenge. Then this week she had a different color for the Signature and the Showstopper (no one had one for the Technical) Chigs seemed to have the same, blue, but I didn't notice Giuseppe. Have they always done that? I'm usually doing other things while watching so I'm not watching the screen all the time.

I'm rewatching now and I did notice that the clip of Giuseppe with his sons did not show their faces.

I also thought, and mentioned to my daughter, that Prue's necklace looked like a dayglo spider attacking her neck.

The Cheshire Cat should have a grin, the talking flowers were in Through the Looking Glass.

4 hours ago, Rickster said:

Going back to the intros in the first episode, the clip showed and mentioned Giuseppe passing on baking skills to his three sons, but no mention of a wife, which was odd if he was married. Maybe he’s divorced or separated?

I think I’ve seen at least one pic of his wife and 3 boys on his IG. Correction: he has a pic on IG of the boys lined up to watch GBBO. Don’t see a pic of his wife.

Edited by Spunkygal

Giuseppe mentions the support of his wife in a post-final interview that was on people.com (can’t do a link). In one of the caramel challenges he mentions being married to an “Italian wife.” She may just be a very private person.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

Random thought/question. This is the first season where I noticed that they seem to switch out mixers between challenges. I first noticed in the last episode with Crystelle, she had a different colored mixer for each challenge. Then this week she had a different color for the Signature and the Showstopper (no one had one for the Technical) Chigs seemed to have the same, blue, but I didn't notice Giuseppe. Have they always done that? I'm usually doing other things while watching so I'm not watching the screen all the time.

I’m sure it’s just random. When they clean up after each challenge and before judging, they remove everything, including the appliances, from the benches, so when they set up again for the next challenge they’re probably just putting a mixer at each station without any particular order. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Surprised to learn Giuseppe is only 45. I would have guessed mid-50s. Maybe that’s because most of the people I see on screen are Hollywood actors.

The last few episodes this season, I found myself really enjoying the camaraderie of the judges and hosts in their private moments. It felt very familiar and genuinely warm. I don’t love (or hate) any of them individually, but a nice chemistry has developed.  

• Love 10
14 hours ago, kay1864 said:

Hey, has the holiday special with James McAvoy been available in the US yet? I’ve been waiting for months!

I think we finally get to see that on Netflix here in the U.S. in December.  So soon!  I've been waiting right alongside you!

5 hours ago, Adiba said:

Giuseppe mentions the support of his wife in a post-final interview that was on people.com (can’t do a link). In one of the caramel challenges he mentions being married to an “Italian wife.” She may just be a very private person.

Giuseppe wears a wedding band. I assume he's still married. 

I thought Crystelle had it in the bag.  And then…that focaccia.  Her presentation looked great while Giuseppe’s underwhelmed, and Chigs’ was let down by a grinless Cheshire cat.  But raw = you lose, and Giuseppe wowed them with his flavors.  I’m really happy Giuseppe won though.  He is such a great guy and a terrific baker.  And I really enjoyed the epilogue montage. 

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Random thought/question. This is the first season where I noticed that they seem to switch out mixers between challenges. I first noticed in the last episode with Crystelle, she had a different colored mixer for each challenge. Then this week she had a different color for the Signature and the Showstopper (no one had one for the Technical) Chigs seemed to have the same, blue, but I didn't notice Giuseppe. Have they always done that?

They always switch out the mixers, but they may have previously made a point of matching the color for continuity and this time didn't.

I was so pleased for Giuseppe and it was the outcome I wanted, but he was definitely off his game. I was screaming at him to take out his buns already, as they were clearly burning. I was as confused as Chigs was when he took them out so burned. Even then I was surprised he was last in the Technical, as they were otherwise right and Chigs’s seemed more wrong. And I have no idea why Giuseppe baked his cake all in one instead of layers, given the time constraint. That was obviously not the way to go.

It seemed really close. I was so impressed with Chigs given his short experience, and Crystelle’s bakes were always so creative and good-looking. I feel bad for her, because she did seem to be looking like the winner until the Focaccia Disaster.

I do love this show and its lovely warm-heartedness. Sorely needed!

Also Chigs is the most attractive contestant they’ve ever had, and I enjoyed that. [/shallow]

Edited by Souris
  • Love 12
On 11/27/2021 at 9:13 PM, kay1864 said:

Hey, has the holiday special with James McAvoy been available in the US yet? I’ve been waiting for months!

I think that was one of those cancer specials. And those are not available on Netflix in the US at all. Sadly.

I am guessing Chrystelle would have won had one section of her final bake not been raw.

One thing that has been bugging me for a long time:  Paul is not the bakers father and he should stop acting like he is when they make a mistake.  Saying stuff like: "I expected better from you" and "I am very disappointed in you"  - that kind of paternalistic crap should be a no-no critiquing adult bakers in a baking competition.  They already feel bad when their bakes don't go well, no need to belittle them on top of it.

• Love 16

For those wondering based on the judges comments how Giuseppe beat Chigs all things being equal: panna cotta. Paul LOVED those little bottles of panna cotta, the minute Paul tasted that, short of a Crystelle unbaked bread disaster Giuseppe won.

Also on the wife front, Giuseppe mentions her in the Guardian article linked upthread. " He hadn’t even told his wife, Laura, that he had entered Bake Off until he got the call to say he was on the show. “She said: ‘This is one of the many bonkers things you’ve done,’ but there was never any friction, only incredulity. I’ve always had a phenomenal respect for my wife – especially after seeing childbirth – but when I realised how selflessly she was supporting me, I had the realisation that I’m the luckiest man on Earth.”

On Twitter he's posted about making pizza with his sons. I wonder if he's working in Milan not just to be closer to his parents, but Brexit (based on vague wording of the last paragraph of the Guardian article)? I read horror stories in the Times and the Guardian by long time UK residents with spouses and children trying to get approval from the Home Office leave to stay and work in the UK, post Brexit. Being between jobs would explain how he had two months off to Bake Off. Though that commute between Milan and Bristol has got to be tough.

As for the rest I adore Chigs and would have been happy if he'd won, it was super close and I thought his show stopper was amazing. And Crystelle was adorable, she seemed happier Giuseppe won at first than Giuseppe. She was so supportive of everyone I want nothing but good things for her future. This is the first final where I would've been happy with any of the three winning.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

For those wondering based on the judges comments how Giuseppe beat Chigs all things being equal: panna cotta. Paul LOVED those little bottles of panna cotta, the minute Paul tasted that, short of a Crystelle unbaked bread disaster Giuseppe won.

IMHO, on a show like this, the judging can't help but have an element of subjectivity.  It comes down to each judge's personal impression.  I suppose it could be made more objective by scoring each bake on a scale of 1-10, but to me that would take the fun out of the show.

Giuseppe and Chigs were so close, I was fine with either of them winning.  Same thing with the semi-final.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, cynicat said:

IMHO, on a show like this, the judging can't help but have an element of subjectivity.  It comes down to each judge's personal impression.  I suppose it could be made more objective by scoring each bake on a scale of 1-10, but to me that would take the fun out of the show.

Giuseppe and Chigs were so close, I was fine with either of them winning.  Same thing with the semi-final.

Yes, there is always an element of subjectivity in the taste and appearance of food.

The panna cotta edged Giuseppe into the winners' circle. Chigs' display was very good, especially the biscuit cards, but the judges couldn't taste all of the ingredients in the jam filling. And isn't anyone going to mention how his mushrooms looked a little...phallic? Also, Chig's meat pies had gaps between the bottoms and the lids--which I'm sure irked Paul, at least slightly. Giuseppe's had a one giant brioche mushroom with a complicated chocolate and hazelnut top, also. I'm sure it was close.

Crystelle's display was a little over-the-top, which fit the theme (and her personality, imo), but the tree and many other items on it were non-edible and pre-made. That focaccia was a complete disaster, though, so there was no way they could've awarded Crystelle the title without rioting in the streets.

• Love 4