Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E03: If You Got It, Haunt It

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I keep waiting for Octavio's "signature" to flip him over into "one trick pony" territory. His looks already feel redundant to me.

Don't you mean One Way Monkey?  (thanks Dmitri)

When I saw the samples of Octavio's designs in episode one I thought they were awful. But so far I have liked everything he has done on the show. I would never wear it, but it looked great on the runway. I also thought the model worked the hell out of this week's design. The way she walked and posed was everything.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

7 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Is there a cultural reference for those schmatta looking things Bones wears on his head?  I’ve never seen anything like them (and am not a fan).  Not to mention his unfortunate wig. 

Yes, my very northern-English grandfather at the beach for the family's annual summer holiday.  Think Monty Python.  I'm convinced Bones has appropriated this, because, like my grandpa, he's very hip.

image.png.047ac85f254b1eaadb398d2934dff45f.png

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 18
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

Taraji was great in both. She has also done movies, but I don't recall what they were and I'm too lazy to look them up.

She was great as Katherine Johnson in Hidden Figures.

• Love 24
12 hours ago, meep.meep said:

This was the perfect time to use floaty white and silver.

Somebody (Katie?) was fretting about their white fabric and how could they possibly use it to make something haunted, and I was like “um, ever hear of ghosts?”. So silly. Any color can look haunted if you use it right. Well, maybe not yellow. But an iridescent  blue or purple would have been a great choice, too.

7 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Ask and ye shall receive (scroll to about 8:25 unless you want to re-live all of the good, bad, and ugly of Baby!Siriano):  

Thanks! I watched it all, and was reminded why he frustrated me. He was a LOT back then. I had also forgotten about the rooster hair 🙄. You have to admire the extreme confidence at such a young age, though.  It was also nice, albeit bittersweet, to see Chris March again. I loved him.

2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I used to be able to watch things on the Bravo app, but they have put most everything behind their paywall. I am really, really annoyed with them.  Right now we don’t have our local NBC station because of a dispute between Dish Network and Tegna who owns the station.

You should be able to sign in to the Bravo app with your Dish credentials. My DVR did not record the first episode (What We Do In the Shadows had a higher recording priority, which, of course! But so did Grey’s Anatomy, so I had to change that) and I had to find it on the app. I logged on with my DirecTV password and was able to watch. Any satellite or cable subscription should allow free access to all programs on the Bravo app.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Somebody (Katie?) was fretting about their white fabric and how could they possibly use it to make something haunted, and I was like “um, ever hear of ghosts?”. So silly. Any color can look haunted if you use it right. Well, maybe not yellow. But an iridescent  blue or purple would have been a great choice, too.

Thanks! I watched it all, and was reminded why he frustrated me. He was a LOT back then. I had also forgotten about the rooster hair 🙄. You have to admire the extreme confidence at such a young age, though.  It was also nice, albeit bittersweet, to see Chris March again. I loved him.

You should be able to sign in to the Bravo app with your Dish credentials. My DVR did not record the first episode (What We Do In the Shadows had a higher recording priority, which, of course! But so did Grey’s Anatomy, so I had to change that) and I had to find it on the app. I logged on with my DirecTV password and was able to watch. Any satellite or cable subscription should allow free access to all programs on the Bravo app.

Re: iridescent blue or purple. Light-bulb 💡moment here! Those are the colors of a raven, nevermore! Those glowing, threatening, sizing-up eyes peering over a pointy beak ready to attack..... 

I'm verklempt! Tawpic: Masquerade ball dress design using these colors and maybe feathers. Tawk amongst yourselves!

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

Taraji was great in both. She has also done movies, but I don't recall what they were and I'm too lazy to look them up.

She was one of the stars of Hidden Figures.

And regarding Christian's spring collection-- I thought *generally* he did pretty well with women with breasts, but lordy what woman would want her chest to look like THIS? 

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 5.15.15 AM.png

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

This was the first episode where I missed having a host.  I don't like Elaine at all, and Nina doesn't seem comfortable in the "you're out" role.  I hope they don't keep asking the winner how this makes them feel.  EYE-ROLL.  I don't care how it make them feel, and neither should Nina.  Or it's obvious to the point of annoyance.

Agree with all of this.  And the whole gossipy quality of Nina telling Taraji that Chasity was almost out the first week felt weird--as did the entire "how does that make you feel?"/"you've got a gift from God" conversation after she won.  I actually really liked the look, but that felt so excessive.

Glad Kenneth went, was surprised I didn't hate Kindergarten Katie's look, and still hoping for Aaron to break into the top three.

• Love 18
19 hours ago, candall said:

Off-topic remark:  if you have the option, get a DVR--it will completely change tv for you.  You will no longer watch commercials; there will always be ten things waiting for you that you truly want to see; you will pause and scrutinize and delete Project Runway on your own time.  <smile>

I completely agree. 

But I kick it old school with DirecTV and one TV, and have a standalone Magnavox DVR, which is like a VCR but with a hard drive in it instead of tapes.  I have to tell it what to record, like you had to do with VCRs, but I can also watch things without recording them, and have a 6-hour cache to run stuff back or to start late and be able to skip commercials if it's something I haven't recorded.

I know an integrated DVR or Tivo would be "better," but setting the timers on my Magnavox tricks me into thinking I still have some agency over my TV viewing, and it's not some robot deciding what I want to watch.

11 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Don't you mean One Way Monkey?  (thanks Dmitri)

Bless you.  I have been trying to remember what Dmitry said that was so funny, and just couldn't come up with it, even in the middle of the night. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

So glad there was none of the ugliness of last week!  I missed most of the episode but caught the end.  It's too bad the looks go by so quick - I'd love to see some stills and close ups. 

Even with a DVR and on demand, I miss the reruns from the week before. 

18 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Creative people like that and their creative process is fascinating to me.  See also: Face Off, Blown Away etc.

Same here!  Face Off was such a great show.  I haven't watched Syfy-SciFi (whatever) since they canceled the series. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I know an integrated DVR or Tivo would be "better," but setting the timers on my Magnavox tricks me into thinking I still have some agency over my TV viewing, and it's not some robot deciding what I want to watch.

But the Tivo only records what you tell it to record, too. It’s just easier to program and has more comprehensive options. It will also record stuff it “thinks” you might like, if you want it to, but you can turn that crap off. To me, a Magnavox-style recorder is like having middle management levels of control over your TV viewing, while a Tivo-style DVR is like being CEO. 😉

36 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Even with a DVR and on demand, I miss the reruns from the week before. 

If you don’t delete after watching, you can have your insta-reruns! 😁

Aaaand… DVR PSA over. I promise I don’t get a commission from Tivo. I just can’t imagine being without my DVR, having experienced one. (I can also sing the praises of streaming! Just not for this show, because it’s not on the services I get.)

And so this post is not completely off topic… I have liked everything Aaron has done so far. I have to assume his time will come, unless he’s just not dramatic enough for this season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Just not for this show, because it’s not on the services I get.)

but presumably you have Bravo on your cable plan, and you have something to stream to your TV like Roku or AppleTV, right? Then get the Bravo app and stream to your heart's content! I watch almost all "live" shows on my AppleTV after the fact, as I don't stay up late.

• Love 1

Wow. There are DVRs that record what they think you'll like?  My Spectrum cable DVR/box doesn't do that, I have to program it to record what I want, either one at a time or each time it is new or if I want to repeats. I hate when technology tells me what I want.  🙂

Christian was a lot back in his season but he was only 21 and also those seasons were when the show seemed to really really encourage the designers to dish on each other. I remember a lot of talking heads and most of the commentary was critical of each other. He has matured a lot since then but he still has his flounce and his flair. I usually hate flounce and flair but I adore Christian. I would be gutted if he left this show.

I don't know anything about design and often what the judges think is awesome I think is an eyesore but whatever. I am not about the designs so much as watching the designers in the workroom and then seeing what the finished design looks like at the end. The workroom is everything to me. That's why Making the Cut just didn't work for me. They have little workroom, the designers have people who sew for them overnight, and the final show is more about how pretty and cool the environment is and just marginally about seeing the clothes on the runway. It's like they took everything I love about Project Runway and removed it.  Nothing can replace Project Runway for me.

• Love 13
16 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

She was in Hidden Figures and was excellent. Love that movie.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

She was one of the stars of Hidden Figures.

And regarding Christian's spring collection-- I thought *generally* he did pretty well with women with breasts, but lordy what woman would want her chest to look like THIS? 

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 5.15.15 AM.png

Perfect for the six breasted alien in Total Recall. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, carrps said:
16 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

She was in Hidden Figures and was excellent. Love that movie.

I never saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but she was nominated for an academy award for her role in it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Wow. There are DVRs that record what they think you'll like? 

In Tivo's early days, there was a thing about noticing what programs it was recording on your behalf, and concluding "My Tivo thinks I'm gay."

42 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I don't know anything about design and often what the judges think is awesome I think is an eyesore but whatever. I am not about the designs so much as watching the designers in the workroom and then seeing what the finished design looks like at the end. The workroom is everything to me.

For me, too.  In fact, the last couple of seasons, I started watching the beginning, until the first commercial after they go to Mood.  Then I FF to the end, to see which 3 were in the top and bottom, and which ones won and lost, and then I go back and watch the workroom and the judging.  It helps me know what to pay attention to.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 10/29/2021 at 3:56 PM, lovinbob said:

Is there a cultural reference for those schmatta looking things Bones wears on his head?  I’ve never seen anything like them (and am not a fan).  Not to mention his unfortunate wig. 

Wow, never? I guess you don't live in Philly.  I see them all the time.  It's a do-rag (durag, etc. several variant spellings).  

I always associate them with Jimmy Rollins of the Phillies--when he started balding he shaved off all his braids and would generally have a (Phillies colors, of course) do-rag under his batting helmet.  

Do-rag

• Love 3

Getting back to the actual show, I honestly got the vibe that Kenneth felt he was safe because of his crying last week. I'm still gobsmacked that Nina of all people, fed into that with her 'oh you poor thing' bullshit. At least they didn't give him any outs this week as a result. I don't know how he made it on to this show but I don't think it's a case of being too young, it's more a case of he has no taste or aesthetic PoV. And that is something that the real Nina would have said to his face. What the hell has happened to Nina this season?!?

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

Bones’s head-wear doesn’t look like any do-rag I’ve ever seen. His are floppy at the top. 

I'll have to look next ep.  I thought some looked like regular do-rags but extra long.  I did think the light blue one I only saw briefly was the exact color of the lining of pee pads.  I think I have too many nonagenarians in the family.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Getting back to the actual show, I honestly got the vibe that Kenneth felt he was safe because of his crying last week. I'm still gobsmacked that Nina of all people, fed into that with her 'oh you poor thing' bullshit. At least they didn't give him any outs this week as a result. I don't know how he made it on to this show but I don't think it's a case of being too young, it's more a case of he has no taste or aesthetic PoV. And that is something that the real Nina would have said to his face. What the hell has happened to Nina this season?!?

Absolutely.

I frequently hear one of the old judges or Nina in my head exclaiming  "the taste level!" whilst clutching their pearls

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

but presumably you have Bravo on your cable plan, and you have something to stream to your TV like Roku or AppleTV, right? Then get the Bravo app and stream to your heart's content! I watch almost all "live" shows on my AppleTV after the fact, as I don't stay up late.

You can also watch using your cable/satellite credentials on your phone, tablet, or even computer/laptop either through a web browser or a downloadable app.

4 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

<snip>

Christian was a lot back in his season but he was only 21 and also those seasons were when the show seemed to really really encourage the designers to dish on each other. I remember a lot of talking heads and most of the commentary was critical of each other. He has matured a lot since then but he still has his flounce and his flair. I usually hate flounce and flair but I adore Christian. I would be gutted if he left this show.

<snip>

All of this x10.

• Love 3

I did delink and delink my Bravo app to my Dish account and I can now watch current NBC network shows that I can’t currently watch because of a carrier dispute. 
However, I found absolutely no way to link my free Peacock account to my Dish profile.

i appreciate the advise and suggestions 😀

Still can’t watch what I wanted to watch without paying for Peacock (which is off topic since it is not Project Runway but rather specific episodes of RHOBH).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, gingerella said:

He’s not even all that young.  He’s 32, the same age as Zayden and Anna, and older than Chasity, Bones, or Darren.  He’s only three years younger than Christian, who was quite young (21) when he competed.

I never really thought too much about the actual judging, but now that several people have mentioned it, I have to admit that I don’t care for their sob stories adding any value to their actual garment and design.  I don’t care that Kenneth made last week’s ugly vest from scraps of everyone else’s looks because they helped him through his issue with Meg.  I don’t think Chasity deserves bonus points for not being sent home for a flawed design two weeks ago.

I also miss the judges having a close up, hands on look at the garments.  Up close, there have been times when a design that looked marvelous from several feet away was found lacking up close…and vice versa.  That should be a part of the judging, and I would like them to show it to the viewers at home.

I would also like to see more of all of the garments, but I recognize that with so many designers and a limited amount of time, that’s not feasible.  And it’s reality TV, after all…I think a certain amount of behind-the-scenes stuff is fine, even appreciated, as long as it isn’t like the situation with Meg last week or the Top Chef debacle from several years ago where four chefs tried to shave Marcel’s head.  The designers we remember most fondly are frequently remembered not just for their designs but for their personalities, which we see outside of work time.  Dmitry’s malapropisms, Chris March’s OTT personality, Christian’s “fierce!”, or the adorable Anthony Williams!

Edited by CraftyHazel
Chefs are not designers
  • Love 15
32 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

I would also like to see more of all of the garments, but I recognize that with so many designers and a limited amount of time, that’s not feasible.

I think one way they can do that is to edit the runway shots to be longer and more thorough.  The way they do it now, the runway is a lot of quick cuts edited together, interspersed with the reactions of the designers.  They can splice in more, longer shots, and make sure we can see the entire outfit, including the back.

I liked Shantall's dress, though I did not get a good look at it.  I was disappointed that they never gave us a full shot of the back during the runway.  The cutouts on the front were interesting with the sparkly fabric, so I really wanted to see if how that carried through to the back, but they never showed the bottom of the dress from the back.

Yes, it would make the runway part take longer if they gave us more of the designs, but Project Runway, at the very least, should make sure we can see the designs on the runway.  Maybe they should consider starting with fewer designers. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 14

I agree! We need longer looks at all of the designs in the competition.

One thing that ticked me off last week with all that overly dramatic BS Kenneth feeling voiceless and humiliated as he'd never been before...🙄

was that it showed apparently they have the time! We're saving the time the hostess used to take up and the button bag  model selection thing and all that. I felt  badly for the safe designers excused from the runway whose design was shown for less than a minute. I'm sure they could have benefitted from some feedback from the judges, too. They're in this competition and they don't know at this point if they're going in the right direction or losing the interest of the judges more and more with each look they present.  At least Aaron has gotten an atta boy or two.

...and I'll have to go back and listen to the comments about Chasity nearly being eliminated? In the color challenge? Damn, they have a nerve! Casey shouldn't have even been eliminated much less Chasity's design be on the chopping block. Meg's was much worse than either of theirs and we had a guy that didn't make anything! [Darren].

• Love 3
3 hours ago, gingerella said:

Getting back to the actual show, I honestly got the vibe that Kenneth felt he was safe because of his crying last week. I'm still gobsmacked that Nina of all people, fed into that with her 'oh you poor thing' bullshit. At least they didn't give him any outs this week as a result.

Noticed that the judges, and Christian, didn't give the usual "you're so talented, keep going" response.  It was all "you're a joy to be around" etc.  Sounds like they know the talent just isn't there.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Noticed that the judges, and Christian, didn't give the usual "you're so talented, keep going" response.  It was all "you're a joy to be around" etc.  Sounds like they know the talent just isn't there.

It's like when people write in your yearbook 'Stay the same great person you are!' 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, izabella said:

We'd also like longer looks at ALL the designs, including the ones in the middle!

Yes, when all designers return to the runway, I would like to see all the models come with them. That way, when the “safe” designers exit (with their models), I could be reminded of exactly which designs were judged middle tier. The runway goes by so fast, I often forget what goes with who. And then when the Tops and Bottoms come out with their designs, I’m left thinking “wait, where is that dress I liked? Who made that and why were they robbed?”

Lots of OT talk here, but I blame Project Runway for that.. Give us a season of good episodes, with all the elements we signed up for, and we’ll have plenty of on-topic things to discuss.

• Love 15
On 10/28/2021 at 10:29 PM, Straycat80 said:

I think Christian is a good mentor. He told Zayden the fabric he was using was problematic in showing everything and he didn’t listen and the judges echoed Christian’s advice. 
I’m glad Chasity and Anna did well in this challenge. And I’m glad Chasity won, she deserved it. I’m still confused why they liked Octavio’s, it was very sack like. 
I figured Kenneth was getting the boot, he’d been in the bottom before. 
I’m glad there was all design this week and no drama like last week. 

On 10/29/2021 at 2:19 AM, Pallida said:

I know I’m not particularly fashionable, but I’m m really confused how Octavio’s dress is flattering but Kenneth’s is not. I do think Kenneth was the right choice to go, but Octavio’s dress was just a blob squished on top of a blob. And I feel like I’ve seen it before. 

On 10/29/2021 at 9:55 AM, cinsays said:

That ugly thing of Octavio's was in the top 3?  Bulky garbage bag on top was stylish? ok

I loved Chasity's, the other gal in the top 3 and Bones' look.

So glad Kenneth got sent packing and Darren can go next, and take baby Katie with you.

On 10/29/2021 at 10:25 PM, theatremouse said:

I thought Darren's look was worse than what Bones put out. But the aufing would not have changed.

I keep waiting for Octavio's "signature" to flip him over into "one trick pony" territory. His looks already feel redundant to me.

I’m sorry, but it really did look like an upside down trash bag. I also thought it was very derivative and not fresh at all.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4

What the hell has happened to Nina this season?!?

Wasn't she the one who once described something as a foaming vagina?

We know that Bravo does in fact monitor the forums, because a casting director posted in Top Chef to announce Top Chef Amateurs and provide a link to apply.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Not even real candles…

At first, I thought they were real, and I was all "Oh, noes, not these unstable alcoholics in an historic mansion...with fire."

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I find it hard to look at Katie sometimes.  all the different prints she wears at one time really get to me.  It's like she's just trying to be as outrageous with prints as possible instead of them all working together somehow.

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, watch2much said:

I find it hard to look at Katie sometimes.  all the different prints she wears at one time really get to me.  It's like she's just trying to be as outrageous with prints as possible instead of them all working together somehow.

Clown Reaction GIF by Sarah Squirm

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Did Bones race over to stand next to Chasity during her moment?I

I thought his fabrics did not work together. Perhaps a molten gray/silver for the top?

I loved the gray gown just because it was gray. I wish other designers had not gone for predictable black.

The mansion visit was stoopid.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, pasdetrois said:

Did Bones race over to stand next to Chasity during her moment?

I loved the gray gown just because it was gray. I wish other designers had not gone for predictable black.

Yes, yes, he did, and I mentioned it upthread. Very tacky.

I don't mind Katie's looks. But I apparently have a much higher tolerance for color and pattern-mixing than a lot of other people. 🤡

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, watch2much said:

In  a season full of obnoxious (to us) personalities, my daughter and I find Katie's kids TV show clown clothes to be the most obnoxious thing about this show. I wish they could send people home based on what they design for themselves.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, qtpye said:

I’m sorry, but it really did look like an upside down trash bag. I also thought it was very derivative and not fresh at all.

See, ^this^ is the sort of comment that Nina should be dishing out!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Ahem, Project Runway interns? It's me again, Tess23. THIS is why I watch PR - to see pretty pretty gowns and no drama. Such a fun episode - I'm so happy for Chasity and her gorgeous gown. Also, yay for Katie and her positive call out - what a cute dress that was totally in her design wheelhouse. 

When we old timers reminisce about our favorite looks in seasons gone by, we remember Andre's rain gutter gown (my favorite look ever), and Leanne's petal-inspired clothing - not street wear or whatever other boring challenges PR seems to love lately. JMHO, but I tune in to see fantasy wear and red carpet looks -  not athleisure that I can pick up in my local Old Navy. 

Edited by Tess23
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Tess23 said:

When we old timers reminisce about our favorite looks in seasons gone by, we remember Andre's rain gutter gown (my favorite look ever),

That was so inspired...talk about making something ugly into something beautiful.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Tess23 said:

When we old timers reminisce about our favorite looks in seasons gone by, we remember Andre's rain gutter gown (my favorite look ever), and Leanne's wave-inspired clothing - not street wear or whatever other boring challenges PR seems to love lately. JMHO, but I tune in to see fantasy wear and red carpet looks -  not athleisure that I can pick up in my local Old Navy. 

Andrae's gutter gown was my favorite look of all time, and it fit the design challenge. I agree with all your other points, as well.

I don't know it it's PR trying to be more cutting edge or what, but it makes it seem off-kilter and off-brand.

• Love 7
On 10/30/2021 at 10:13 AM, Kitty Redstone said:

I haven't watched Syfy-SciFi (whatever) since they canceled the series. 

Somehow I missed this comment earlier. But, yes, this is me, too.

• Love 2