Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I hope this is a mistake where you forgot to write "gone" after "Amy."

I might have added "(and never seen again)" after "gone."

So just why is it you so dislike Amy? I think she’s wonderful. Hope she continues to win big.

I pre-guessed Seurat when I saw the category name tonight, was very thrilled when I saw the clue and realized I was right! I am so in love with the Broadway show “Sunday in the Park With George” and because of that there was a time I was reading everything I could about Georges Seurat. I always love when he’s an answer on Jeopardy. (In fact I was wearing a “Sunday in the Park” Broadway hoodie tonight while watching, ha!)

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Cotypubby said:
12 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I hope this is a mistake where you forgot to write "gone" after "Amy."

I might have added "(and never seen again)" after "gone."

So just why is it you so dislike Amy? I think she’s wonderful

I’m betting @PBnJay confused “Amy” with “Mayim.”

——especially because (as @Irlandesa notes below👇)
"Amy" is/was Mayim's character's name on TV from 2007-2019
——a show that still airs at all hours of the day around the world in syndication. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't know what their intent was but I did, for a moment, read Amy and think of Amy Farrah Fowler from TBBT before it clicked who Jeopardy Amy was. 

I stopped watching this tournament last week but I'll be back next week for Ken and Amy. I've been liking her Twitter threads about the games.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, ProudMary said:
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

They could easily do that with "Women (whatevers)."  But I'm wondering what a Celebrite is.  Who's Josh Hill?

Yes to doing away with "Women whatevers" in principle, but I suppose it also helps the contestants narrow down the pool of possible correct responses.🤷‍♀️
Maybe sometimes do "Women whatevers" or "African American whatevers" etc., and sometimes just do "Whatevers"?

Being a Twitter frequenter myself, I presume that's a typo for "Celebrities" (Twitter doesn't have a feature to allow editing after posting).
Josh Hill's Twitter mouse-over bio leads with "Network engineer," and he's followed by Buzzy and some Jeopardy! champions and former contestants, so I'm guessing he works on the set.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm Team Amy. She posted a great entry on Defector about being smart, and even threw a bit of shade at the Professors tournament. 

"Jeopardy! is currently airing a tournament for college professors, meaning that they are essentially professional knowers of stuff, and yet their performance has not been particularly elite."

She's not wrong.  It's a different skill set

• Love 4
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I don’t remember whether the host usually delivers remarks on the last day of a tournament, but I thought Mayim’s speech before DJ was quite overwrought. Yes, all the contestants seemed pleasant enough, and I suppose they gave their all, such as it was, to the game.  But Mayim sounded like she was announcing their receipt of the Nobel Peace Prize or something. A thank you to the contestants is a nice thing, and maybe I’m just a cynic, but I thought that bit was OTT and seemed insincere.

I did think it was a bit OTT, but since it was likely scripted for her, I'm not sure who to blame on that one. But hey, kindness and saying nice things is never wrong, imo.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I too got the TS of Cedric the Entertainer. 
A no-brainer for us PrimeTimers, but not so much for professors who likely spend little time watching TV, especially live network TV.

If I had taken that job offer at the Monterrey Naval Post Graduate School back in 2000, Sam Buttrey would be a colleague. 
In an alternate universe that happened, so: We are so proud of you, Sam!

I got Cedric because "the Entertainer" in the clue made him an instaget.

10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I didn't even notice. This is great.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes to doing away with "Women whatevers" in principle, but I suppose it also helps the contestants narrow down the pool of possible correct responses.🤷‍♀️
Maybe sometimes do "Women whatevers" or "African American whatevers" etc., and sometimes just do "Whatevers"?

Being a Twitter frequenter myself, I presume that's a typo for "Celebrities" (Twitter doesn't have a feature to allow editing after posting).
Josh Hill's Twitter mouse-over bio leads with "Network engineer," and he's followed by Buzzy and some Jeopardy! champions and former contestants, so I'm guessing he works on the set.

I don't mind women authors because it does, indeed, narrow the pool. Though that could always be done with pronouns within the clue (and has been upon occasion).

Of course Authors, just like Celebrities, can be used without spotlighting gender or race. I really liked the way it was handled on this board.

I am 0-5 when it comes to FJ this week. When last night's category went up I listed the French Painters I knew off the top of my head and didn't get Surat, though of course, I smacked my head when the answer came. The bit about mathematics threw me off - so I said Eiffel (! D'oh)

• Love 4
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I don’t remember whether the host usually delivers remarks on the last day of a tournament, but I thought Mayim’s speech before DJ was quite overwrought. Yes, all the contestants seemed pleasant enough, and I suppose they gave their all, such as it was, to the game.  But Mayim sounded like she was announcing their receipt of the Nobel Peace Prize or something. A thank you to the contestants is a nice thing, and maybe I’m just a cynic, but I thought that bit was OTT and seemed insincere.

I did try to give it a rest about Mayim, really.  Some of you helped over the past few days by saying what I was thinking instead of me. ;)  But anyway, good luck to Sam in the ToC. I wish JP could’ve competed in the final instead of Alisa, who got a very lucky draw of opponents. I really hope, in the future, they just let professors who would qualify in the main pool play there, and we can all forget this tournament ever happened. I’m very excited to see Amy and Ken back on Monday.

I didn't listen to her whole speech. Just part of it, was fast forwarding, but I  think overwrought is a good word to describe her performance as host in general.  She seems overeager, like she's trying so hard to be funny and congenial and the right person fir the job.  I could get that as a guest host. But she is a semipermanent host now. Tone it down. 

And  not saying I'll stop watching I'd she is permanent host. She does a perfectly ok job. She's just a bit much to take.  

Further, I kind of like the idea of the host knowing most of the answers without the cards in front of them.  Alex it seemed that way. Ken it seems that way. With Mayim  it doesn't.  It's like she's surprised half the time by the circle t answer. 

And finally it seems the interviews go on forever now with her as host.  

• Love 8
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

——especially because (as @Irlandesa notes below👇)
"Amy" is/was Mayim's character's name on TV from 2007-2019
——a show that still airs at all hours of the day around the world in syndication. 

Can confirm I have also done this 😂 Though I have no idea what the original intent was. Do we know who the host will be on Monday?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

They could easily do that with "Women (whatevers)."  But I'm wondering what a Celebrite is.  Who's Josh Hill?

Josh Hill is a Jeopardy! champion, winning seven straight games a few years back. Jeopardy!'s Twitter account re-Tweeted Josh's comment, which is how it popped up on my Twitter feed. Also, Josh immediately realized he had a typo in his original tweet and corrected the spelling of Celebrities in a second tweet. I'm sure that many in this forum will recognize him.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh, my deepest apologies. I read "Amy" and my brain saw "Mayim." I even read that post several times before I responded and it still didn't sink in. I guess I've watched too much BBT and Amy Farrah Fowler was stuck in my head.

I absolutely LOVE Jeopardy Amy, and Ken as host, and I hope they both continue for a long time. So please, accept my deepest regret for my error. I am correcting my bad post now. Forgive me everyone! I need to stop posting.

• LOL 6
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I absolutely LOVE Jeopardy Amy, and Ken as host, and I hope they both continue for a long time. So please, accept my deepest regret for my error. I am correcting my bad post now. Forgive me everyone! I need to stop posting.

Ha.  I've not liked other long term champions and I'm sure I'll eventually want Amy replaced even though I'm loving the straight forward way she plays the game right now.

It's just funny because it seemed a rather abrupt statement so no apology needed.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Cedric because "the Entertainer" in the clue made him an instaget.

Same here.  I couldn't pick him out of a line-up, but I know someone who goes by Cedric the Entertainer exists, so that was an easy one for me.

• Love 3
On 12/16/2021 at 5:24 PM, Irlandesa said:

And I'd like to know how they recruited for this tournament.

I was going to say they did the same thing they've historically done for K-12 teachers for that tournament (get them out of the regular contestant pool), but then I remembered something about a casting agency. A quick search reminded me that bit of info came from Claire McNear in The Ringer:

These tournaments might flip much of what viewers consider to be Jeopardy! on its head: a college tournament originally announced last year will use teams; it and a recently advertised competition for college professors have been promoted by a professional casting agency, indicating Jeopardy! will seek to move beyond the build-it-and-they-will-come contestant recruitment efforts of yore.

• Useful 2
16 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Sneaking in under cover of darkness to say Josh Hill was the Tiger Claw guy, he won seven games and made it to the ToC where he unfortunately played against James H.

525533922_joshhilltigerclaw.jpeg.312ecf1facea3520e350c265b0f9f118.jpeg

Awesome! You’re back! 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 12/18/2021 at 11:00 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Further, I kind of like the idea of the host knowing most of the answers without the cards in front of them.  Alex it seemed that way. Ken it seems that way. With Mayim  it doesn't.  It's like she's surprised half the time by the circle t answer.

Not a criticism, just an observation:  I find comments like this (and I've seen similar from several people) interesting, because I can remember when one of the most frequent complaints about Alex was "He acts like such a know-it-all!  You know he doesn't really know all that stuff!  It's easy to pretend you know the answers when you have them written in front of you!", and stuff like that.

I think it's interesting that since his death (really, since his illness), what was once a source of criticism has become a beloved characteristic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 12/17/2021 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ tonight.  It was another of those that I could have sat here all night and never come up with the correct response.  

I did but it was a bit of a guess.  Post-Impressionist French Painters are not my forte.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:58 AM, Cotypubby said:

So just why is it you so dislike Amy? I think she’s wonderful. Hope she continues to win big.

I dislike Amy and won't be watching until she's gone, but everyone is entitled to enjoy or not enjoy any contestants on Jeopardy.

• Love 1
On 12/18/2021 at 9:48 AM, bad things are bad said:

I'm Team Amy. She posted a great entry on Defector about being smart, and even threw a bit of shade at the Professors tournament. 

"Jeopardy! is currently airing a tournament for college professors, meaning that they are essentially professional knowers of stuff, and yet their performance has not been particularly elite."

She's not wrong.  It's a different skill set

She's a bit wrong, in that professors know a lot about their specific areas and not necessarily a lot about more general subjects.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Driad said:

There is a saying about specialization: "knowing more and more about less and less, until you know everything about nothing."

The flip side: "A generalist knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything"

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

One path to Jeopardy success might be what they said about the Platte River: "a mile wide and an inch deep."  (That assumes a fixed volume of knowledge, which is probably not true.)

Edited by Driad
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Driad said:

There is a saying about specialization: "knowing more and more about less and less, until you know everything about nothing."

I remember when I was  in college people saying that PHD meant "piled higher and deeper."

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I admit I did not get FJ. I think I overthought it. I said "Brenda Starr", who, at least, is (a) a reporter (b) a redhead ("Torchy" led me to "fire" which led me to "red hair") and (c) a character created long ago (granted, I didn't know how long ago. I looked it up---1940, which isn't far off from 1938 (she was probably based on LL)). Oh well. At least it's better than "Miss Marple" (or "Mrs. Marpole" as the contestant wrote (assuming that's what he meant)).

• Love 10

"...and a third player whom modesty precludes me mentioning." 😄

83% / 47% / 64%

J!: Ran Angels, Silver & Gold, and Christmas Songs, missed one each in Joy and Knight, and three in Kings (and one of them I knew but just blanked briefly and was very annoyed with myself). There was only one TS in the round (Krishna, which I did not get), plus the missed DD (Oktoberfest, which I did).

DJ: Damn, I started out so well, too. Missed only one Movie and two Authors and 7-letter Words, but that's the best I got. Clearly I know nothing about skiing (but at least I know what country has a state called Victoria). My only TS was Jean Auel.

FJ: Got nuthin'. Continuing my streak, it seems.

• Love 3

I got FJ, mostly because Lois Lane was the only girl reporter I could come up with.  I didn't think it was right, though -- I was trying to think of Brenda Starr, but her name just would not come to me.  If it had, I would have said Brenda Starr.

The only TS I got were Oktoberfest and Krishna.

• Love 6

I don't know why, but I was thinking FJ was something to do with Dick Tracy and as time wound down I said Lois Lane.  I would have never gotten it under pressure.

I got the missed clues of Oktoberfest, Krishna (total guess), Sara Paretsky and Jean Auel (my mom loves those books).

I got the entire categories of Christmas songs and silver and gold right.

I finally made some money. Which is good because I have some serious Jeopardy debt.  They were about to send Johnny over to break my legs.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

When I thought of Brenda Starr, I thought it odd that I'd never before read that she was "inspired by movie character Torchy Blane of the Morning Herald, she has since gone on to win a fictional Pulitzer." My red-haired, starry-eyed daughter was a newspaper reporter for 12 years, so I had Googled Brenda Starr a few times, and should have heard of a Pulitzer, but I didn't bother trying to think of another fictional reporter in the time left, and so grew hopeful for no real reason, only to be brought back to reality when the correct response of Lois Lane was revealed.

I did get the TS of Krishna.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

The date and "inspired by" a movie made me think it had to be a comic character, so Lois Lane was all I could think of that fit. 

I liked Amy's tattoo story, and I really liked having her back, even though she was making me nervous for a bit there. I also really like having Ken back. Mayim makes me subtly tense all game. I haven't figured out why entirely, but it was pure relief to have Ken back.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

I liked Amy's tattoo story, and I really liked having her back, even though she was making me nervous for a bit there. I also really like having Ken back. Mayim makes me subtly tense all game. I haven't figured out why entirely, but it was pure relief to have Ken back.

Yeah. I know there were some censorship concerns when Amy said she couldn't show her tattoo on Jeopardy because of copyright but I saw her tattoo on Twitter.  It's very clear and big and I could see why they were afraid to show it without the author's permission. 

But I'm glad she was able to tell the story which is more important than the image anyway. 

• Love 12

I'm so glad to have Amy back. I loved the theme of the Jeopardy board. I think you have to know a little bit about everything to be a success on Jeopardy. Someone who knows about academics but doesn't pay attention to pop culture will struggle so will the pop culture expert who doesn't know about history or science. 

• Love 3

"Mrs. Marpole" is the store brand version of a Christie sleuth.

Someone wrote in another forum that they felt the second DD could more clearly have read "the only presidents to garner more than 1K votes" rather than "the only men," on the basis that the vice presidents also receive those electoral votes.  I thought that was interesting.  HW Bush did run with Reagan both times, so could be credited with that number of votes as well as those from his own presidential runs.  (Nixon's first of three runs was with Henry Cabot Lodge, not Spiro Agnew, and FDR had three different ticketmates, so none of those 5 men cleared 1K).  I guess, then, an argument could be made that HW Bush also received over 1K career votes.

I never really got into comics so can't say I know Brenda Starr.  A framing place on my block has for several months displayed a poster for a film starring Glenda Farrell, who played Torchy Blane.  I looked her up since I didn't know much about her and somehow retained that her character had inspired Lois Lane.  I so appreciate these moments when my compulsive need to Google everything pays off. (And yes, I’ve Googled Brenda Starr now too, so I’ll be ready next time!)

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Amy said she couldn't show her tattoo on Jeopardy because of copyright

That's fascinating.  I never thought of that concern.  I don't have any tattoos but many people I know do, and many are of copyrighted material.  Then again, I suppose many of them would be unlikely to be visible on "Jeopardy.” ;) 

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't know why, but I was thinking FJ was something to do with Dick Tracy and as time wound down I said Lois Lane.  I would have never gotten it under pressure.

I got the missed clues of Oktoberfest, Krishna (total guess), Sara Paretsky and Jean Auel (my mom loves those books).

I couldn't think of Paretsky but I did know the others. And I was one of those who guessed Brenda Starr for FJ. The date seemed right; it was only two years off. "Brenda Starr Reporter" debuted in 1940.  (She was called "Girl Reporter" in some comic book versions--ugh!)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of …    
and Jean Auel (my mom loves those books).

My mom read all of Auel’s “Clan of the Cave Bear” books and tried to get me interested in them as each new one came out, but I never read them. If I had read them, I would have known that answer/question. It was on the tip of my tongue. I can picture mom in their tiny den where they watched Jeopardy! for 25 years and imagine her calling out “Auel!”

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My mom read all of Auel’s “Clan of the Cave Bear” books and tried to get me interested in them as each new one came out, but I never read them. If I had read them, I would have known that answer/question. It was on the tip of my tongue. I can picture mom in their tiny den where they watched Jeopardy! for 25 years and imagine her calling out “Auel!”

I read them all, a long time ago. I was going "Jean...Jean...Jean......" and got Auel at the last second.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

(She was called "Girl Reporter" in some comic book versions--ugh!)

So was Lois Lane, for that matter.  I've been listening to the old Superman radio show, where she was invariably called "the Daily Planet's star girl reporter."  Even when she had her own comic book, in the '50s, it was called "Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane."  Ah, sexism.

If you've never seen the Torchy Blane movies, by the way, they're worth looking up.  They're a lot of fun, with clever, rapid-fire, wisecracking dialogue (Glenda Farrell, who played Torchy, could supposedly say 400 words in 40 seconds, although that may have been studio hype).  Although they're mostly murder mysteries, they're fairly light-hearted.  Torchy is brave, smart, inquisitive, and always about three steps ahead of her police detective boyfriend.  You can see why Jerry Siegel used her as a model for Lois.  They're uneven in quality, as you might expect from any series, and Torchy ends up as a damsel-in-distress a bit more often than you'd like, but on the whole they're worth checking out.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2