Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

“Please Daddy Don’t Get Drunk This Christmas”?? That sounds weirdly dark for a John Denver song. I only got it because of the mention of the other song. 

I felt like an idiot for guessing Brenda Starr…“Lois Lane” was a d’oh! moment for me. So glad to have this board to see I’m not the only dodo. (D’oh d’oh?)

17 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I haven't figured out why entirely, but it was pure relief to have Ken back.

Yes. It felt oddly comforting, like Real!Jeopardy had returned. I find that Ken has a soothing, welcoming presence. He also kind of fades to the background during actual gameplay (more so than Mayim), making it easier to play along without distraction. 

Also happy to see Amy again. I liked her story.  I thought I had read all of the Oz books when I was about 8, but I have no recollection of Ozma. I guess I missed that one.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I love John Denver and yet, they make the one song of his I despise, a Jeopardy clue? If you've never heard "Please Daddy", you are SO much better off....

Just glad Amy won...

When I saw the clue I laughed.  Never heard the song, but got John Denver.  I told my husband that that sounded like a downer of a Christmas song.  

I am liking Ken more and more.  I have no issue with Mayim, but Ken seems more seamless as host.

ETA: I looked up the song on You Tube.  It makes "Grandma Got Run Over by  Reindeer" seem like "Silent Night" by comparison.  😆

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

Happy Winter! ❄️

53% / 67% / 59%

In the first round I did okay in Go Home and Shakespeare, missing one in each, and New Orleans and Stocks I missed two. Missed three in Geology and got zero sports nicknames, not surprisingly. In round two I missed two clues in every category except TV Characters' Occupations and Go Get EM where I missed one each.

The only missed clues I got were wine and attorney (well, I said lawyer, but close enough). Did not get FJ (my streak continues!); I also said Stanton, because it was all I could come up with, though I was pretty confident it was wrong.

5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

“Please Daddy Don’t Get Drunk This Christmas”?? That sounds weirdly dark for a John Denver song. I only got it because of the mention of the other song. 

I just looked up the lyrics...damn! My mom had a bunch of JD tapes and I used to play them in the car all the time. Didn't have that song...

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

Apparently last night's good game was a fluke.

I said Elizabeth Cady Stanton and almost immediately changed it to Harriet Beecher Stowe.

I got the entire category of history right and the entire categories of sports and false advertising wrong.

I got the missed clue of lawyer.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 5

Almost instaget FJ for me tonight.  I actually pre-called it when I saw the category, but gave it a little thought before writing it down.  She was the only one I could think of who wasn't primarily known as a suffragist.

I also got the TS of wine, graphite and diamond, and Ecuador.  I visited Ecuador several years ago on the way to Galapagos, and some of the Ecuadorians I met seemed a little salty that their hat is known as a Panama hat.

• Love 3

I finally broke my losing streak and got FJ!

14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Almost instaget FJ for me tonight.  I actually pre-called it when I saw the category, but gave it a little thought before writing it down.  She was the only one I could think of who wasn't primarily known as a suffragist.

During the allotted time to consider the category of 3-NAMED WOMEN, the names of Lucy Maude Montgomery and Laura Ingles Wilder came to mind, which primed my brain to think of another woman (sorry!) author since I knew "resident of Concord, Mass" didn't fit for either of them, and Louisa May Alcott came to mind.

I knew the TSs of Wine and Lawyer, and also instagot 3 of the second-guessers before even the first wrong guess was uttered: land mines, tectonic plates, and palace.

Amy's DD of "Sutter" seemed too easy for the $2000 position, but I lived in northern California for 22 years, so maybe it wasn't an instaget for most.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Amy's DD of "Sutter" seemed too easy for the $2000 position, but I lived in northern California for 22 years, so maybe it wasn't an instaget for most.

It was for me and I've never even been to California...

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It was an instaget for me as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Well, if it makes anyone feel better, it was definitely not an instaget for me. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I thought Final Jeopardy was Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I knew wine thief and lawyer. I wish Ken wouldn't mention Amy's final Jeopardy streak. I'm afraid he'll jinx her. I was so glad Amy and Kaitlyn got the sport questions.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

My daughter and I had plans to visit Louisa May Alcott's home in Concord last year, but COVID got in the way.

A number of years back, I visited the cemetery where the Alcotts, Hawthorne, Emerson, and other notables are buried. It’s called Sleepy Hollow, in Concord.

I did get FJ easily.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It seemed too obvious, so I was surprised when it was correct. I hadn’t a clue of what else it could have been, though.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 5

I pre-called Mary Tyler Moore, but once I saw the clue, I knew it was Alcott. I got Sutter easily and the only time I've been in California was to go from the SFO airport to the port to catch a cruise ship. I've always lived in the Eastern time zone. I guess I'm so old, Sutter's Mill was still being taught in US History classes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

It seemed too obvious, so I was surprised when it was correct. I hadn’t a clue of what else it could have been, though.

I think that's why Amy hesitated.  You could kind of see the thought process of, "this is a thousand dollar daily double.  It must be something else."

• Love 4
On 12/20/2021 at 4:21 PM, Trey said:

Brenda Starr was my answer too.  Never even thought of Lois Lane.

I never even thought of Brenda, which is fortunate or I would have gone with her instead of Lois, who I got by logic (ignoring the Pulitzer)

On 12/20/2021 at 4:28 PM, ams1001 said:

DJ: Damn, I started out so well, too. Missed only one Movie and two Authors and 7-letter Words, but that's the best I got. Clearly I know nothing about skiing (but at least I know what country has a state called Victoria). My only TS was Jean Auel.

What really ticked me off in the author's category is that I'd read all but one of the books - and could only come up with the author of the one book I didn't read. Blanked out on all the others. Sigh...

On 12/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, Ailianna said:

The date and "inspired by" a movie made me think it had to be a comic character, so Lois Lane was all I could think of that fit. 

I liked Amy's tattoo story, and I really liked having her back, even though she was making me nervous for a bit there. I also really like having Ken back. Mayim makes me subtly tense all game. I haven't figured out why entirely, but it was pure relief to have Ken back.

On 12/21/2021 at 3:35 AM, shapeshifter said:

My mom read all of Auel’s “Clan of the Cave Bear” books and tried to get me interested in them as each new one came out, but I never read them. If I had read them, I would have known that answer/question. It was on the tip of my tongue. I can picture mom in their tiny den where they watched Jeopardy! for 25 years and imagine her calling out “Auel!”

Read almost all of them (got tired of her escapades and inventing everything), and still didn't come up with Auel.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I just looked up the lyrics...damn! My mom had a bunch of JD tapes and I used to play them in the car all the time. Didn't have that song...

I looked them up too - what a sad song. So I looked a little further, and Denver didn't even write it. Pretty grim, but I bet it speaks to some people, as awful as it seems.

I loved Amy's Ozma connection. I can see where it would be a story that had real relevance to her. I did see the tattoo somewhere, and it is indeed big. I'm glad it's one of the things she wanted to discuss.

When I thought of three named women, Amy Semple McPherson was the only one who came to mind (and at the time, none of what she was known for). Sigh....

I did very well in general on the boards, but not much in the way of running a category.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

What really ticked me off in the author's category is that I'd read all but one of the books - and could only come up with the author of the one book I didn't read. Blanked out on all the others. Sigh...

The ones I missed were Cather, because my brain stopped at the book's title and I couldn't get to the author, and Paretsky, who I've never read (I've heard of both the author and character but would not have connected them). Never read any Thomas Harris (never even seen all of Silence of the Lambs) but I know the author, and I have read the other two Earth's Children and The Hunger Games).

12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I loved Amy's Ozma connection. I can see where it would be a story that had real relevance to her. I did see the tattoo somewhere, and it is indeed big. I'm glad it's one of the things she wanted to discuss.

I looked for her twitter post; guess we won't be seeing her in short sleeves on the show.

• Love 3

How tall is Jason?  As I understand it, they use adjustable platforms to compensate for contestants' different heights, but he still looked about a foot taller than Amy and Kaitlyn.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Driad said:

How tall is Jason?  As I understand it, they use adjustable platforms to compensate for contestants' different heights, but he still looked about a foot taller than Amy and Kaitlyn.

I was wondering that, too. They do adjust the heights (sometimes you can see the platform for the person on the end at a certain camera angle), but sometimes it's just not possible because one person is just that much taller. I couldn't find anything on how high the risers go, though (maybe one of our former players here will know). I guess they don't want a short person to be a foot and a half in the air just because another player is unusually tall (imagine trying to equalize a five-foot person with someone who's well over 6 feet...). I imagine there are some safety concerns if they go too high.

Maybe they should have them sink into the floor, too, for the especially tall folks.

• Love 4

I checked the archive and I see that I would've gotten yesterday's FJ.  It took me a couple of seconds, but I came up with Louisa May Alcott pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Driad said:

When I was on, they had boxes we shorter contestants stood on to help make up for the height variations.  That was in 2008, though, so I'm sure they've come up with something better since then.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

When I was on, they had boxes we shorter contestants stood on to help make up for the height variations.  That was in 2008, though, so I'm sure they've come up with something better since then.

I think they're electronic now so they can just raise/lower them as needed.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I checked the archive and I see that I would've gotten yesterday's FJ.  It took me a couple of seconds, but I came up with Louisa May Alcott pretty quickly.

My appearance was taped in late 2006. I am barely 5 foot tall and was on two boxes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Yeah, now there are little platforms behind each lectern that can be raised or lowered as needed, like tiny elevators.  They warn you to be careful not to move around too much, especially after the game is over and your instinct is to walk away, lest you fall off of your elevated platform.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I found this Reddit thread interesting.  Sports journalists and others who follow hockey closely and have followed Rick Nash's career have never heard the supposed nickname "slim reaper" in reference to him, and nobody could find more than very few obscure citations.  I wonder where on earth the show's people found it, in that case!  Did an inside joke sneak its way onto the show or something?  (For what it's worth, I thought the clue was perfectly gettable just from "The Slim _____" plus the mention of a scythe, I just find this sort of baffling.)

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

(For what it's worth, I thought the clue was perfectly gettable just from "The Slim _____" plus the mention of a scythe,

Yeah, I figured it out from the clue, but had never heard him referred to that way.  I figured it was because I pay only marginal attention to hockey, so it's interesting to learn some of those who cover it for a living are calling it out.

On 12/20/2021 at 8:26 PM, kathyk24 said:

I'm so glad to have Amy back. I loved the theme of the Jeopardy board. I think you have to know a little bit about everything to be a success on Jeopardy. Someone who knows about academics but doesn't pay attention to pop culture will struggle so will the pop culture expert who doesn't know about history or science. 

I totally agree.  To me, Jeopardy is just a general knowledge quiz.  If you want a TV quiz show that features both general knowledge and specialized knowledge try Mastermind.

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was wondering that, too. They do adjust the heights (sometimes you can see the platform for the person on the end at a certain camera angle), but sometimes it's just not possible because one person is just that much taller. I couldn't find anything on how high the risers go, though (maybe one of our former players here will know). I guess they don't want a short person to be a foot and a half in the air just because another player is unusually tall (imagine trying to equalize a five-foot person with someone who's well over 6 feet...). I imagine there are some safety concerns if they go too high.

Maybe they should have them sink into the floor, too, for the especially tall folks.

Better than chopping them off at the knees.

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I found this Reddit thread interesting.  Sports journalists and others who follow hockey closely and have followed Rick Nash's career have never heard the supposed nickname "slim reaper" in reference to him, and nobody could find more than very few obscure citations.  I wonder where on earth the show's people found it, in that case!  Did an inside joke sneak its way onto the show or something?  (For what it's worth, I thought the clue was perfectly gettable just from "The Slim _____" plus the mention of a scythe, I just find this sort of baffling.)

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I figured it out from the clue, but had never heard him referred to that way.  I figured it was because I pay only marginal attention to hockey, so it's interesting to learn some of those who cover it for a living are calling it out.

The hubby and I pay a lot of attention to hockey -- we play in some fantasy leagues, watch a lot of games, etc. -- and neither of us have heard of this nickname for Nash either.  We looked at each other like "huh?" -- but the clue made the correct answer pretty clear.   

• Useful 2

December 22:

73% / 37% / 54%

J!: Ran Internal Rhyme Time, missed three Flags, two Boozin', and one each in the others. My only TS was camel. No TSes.

DJ: Oy. My first and second round scores together are a palindrome. That's kinda neat. 😐

FJ: Nope. On track for three straight weeks at the table for zero. Maybe Santa will take pity on me and send me an early Christmas present of a correct answer in the next couple days...

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4

I said cycling.  My first thougt was horse racing, but I decided they had that before and then I thought maybe sulky racing.  I should have gotten it.

The only missed clue i got was Mali. That's right.  I got a geography question that the contestants missed.  Won't happen again, I'm sure.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I got FJ tonight.  I thought about the year, then decided the places sounded like they might be in Ireland or the UK.  I almost said cross-country, but then realized it probably involved horses, and came up with the correct response in plenty of time.  It actually didn't occur to me until Ken said it that the two places named were churches, hence steeples.  

No TS for me tonight, though.

• Love 3

The clue about the group "named for their colorful clothing," which was black, would have been better phrased as "named for the color of their clothing," IMO.  I don't think of black, white, or gray as colorful.

• Love 11

FJ was an instaget tonight because it was about ... horses! I always wondered why it was called that. And now I know.

Edited by PBnJay
I can't spell nor proofread.
  • Love 7

Just watched the last two games back to back.

I guessed yesterday’s FJ (Louisa May Alcott) pre-clue. I don’t know why I always feel extra proud when I do that, because it’s just a lucky guess. But it does give me an excuse to yell “We don’t need no stinkin’ clues!” in my best Sierra Madre voice, which is always fun.

Then I watched today’s game and pre-guessed Kentucky Derby for FJ. So close to a personal daily double!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I had googled steeplechase during the most recent Olympics because I had never heard of it before and wondered about the name/why they ran through shallow water.

I also knew with 100% certainty that that was the answer to FJ....just couldn't pull the name "steeplechase" out of my brain. So I was left answering "that funny-named race that I googled this summer" 🙄

Edit: I googled again just now and learned there is also a horse racing version. I was only familiar with the track and field version.

• Love 6

I instantly guessed horse racing for FJ, based on the year, but even if this had been a regular clue where I'd get a BMS prompt for what kind of horse race, I wouldn't have thought of steeplechase; I only know enough about horse racing to know the way the horses and jockeys are treated in order to further enrich the bank accounts of the wealthy owners means I don't want any part of it, so while I've heard the word "steeplechase", I didn't know enough about it that it would have come to me even with the church hint in the clue.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So, the “hey I know that name” category - was there some connection among the clues, besides just names I should have known?

I don't know. But, I forgot to say on my recap that I got that entire category wrong.

• Love 1

I have to credit Dick Francis for assistance in knowing steeplechase.  I've read most of his books, and nearly all of them are at the very least horse-racing adjacent, and some of those races were steeplechases.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I guess they don't want a short person to be a foot and a half in the air just because another player is unusually tall (imagine trying to equalize a five-foot person with someone who's well over 6 feet...). I imagine there are some safety concerns if they go too high.

Given that it's the approximate difference between Mr Starling and my heights, I think you can imagine it quite well. The only way we're of equal heights is on the stairs - if I'm ahead.

19 hours ago, Bklyndeb said:

My appearance was taped in late 2006. I am barely 5 foot tall and was on two boxes.

Sounds kind of scary...

13 hours ago, Driad said:

The clue about the group "named for their colorful clothing," which was black, would have been better phrased as "named for the color of their clothing," IMO.  I don't think of black, white, or gray as colorful.

They often use that for black, white, and grey. I've gotten used to it - but I agree, I don't think of them as being colorful, though technically they are colors.

10 hours ago, PBnJay said:

FJ was an instaget tonight because it was about ... horses! I always wondered by it was called that. And now I know.

Like a magpie, I'm storing away that shiny bit of knowledge.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I have to credit Dick Francis for assistance in knowing steeplechase.  I've read most of his books, and nearly all of them are at the very least horse-racing adjacent, and some of those races were steeplechases.

I read so many Dick Francis novels - but it was so long ago I only knew the term, not the origin.

Did pretty well on the boards in general, but no sweeps or near sweeps.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I know more about horse racing in Britain than I'd ever have thought possible because of Dick Francis, including steeplechase races.  Still, there's no way I'd ever have come up with FJ.  I might've said horse racing, but not steeplechase specifically.  Although after googling why it's called steeplechase (using the steeples of prominent churches as the starting and finishing lines), it makes sense.

48 minutes ago, Driad said:

That's the first time I've seen footage of that race.  Wow, that really was a weird fall.

• Love 2