Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

It made my OCD very happy to hear “who is Arthur Conan Doyle” last night instead of “What’s Doyle”. 

How many pairs of glasses does Mayim own??  I’ve only had up to three at one time but I guess she can afford to have an entire wardrobe of them.

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
33 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

How many pairs of glasses does Mayim own??  I’ve only had up to three at one time but I guess she can afford to have an entire wardrobe of them.

When you've got that Big Bang Theory money, you can afford all the glasses you want.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

The feet TS surprised me, and thinking people would crush bugs with their teeth even more.  And I never would have predicted Raleigh would go unanswered.  The footlocker TS surprised me a bit, too, as did couch, but not like those two.  The Maude TS just bummed me out; I loved that show.

I knew Maude. I was also depressed it was a TS. We can watch TV together.

• Love 6

From the Miami Herald:

"[Fisher] earned his bachelor’s in theater and English literature from Northwestern University in 2012 and had several stage roles in Rhode Island after graduation. For the last few years, Fisher has lived in Southern California where he is a professional stage actor. 'Particularly, with a company that does a Shakespeare tour every summer where we tour all around Southern California,' he said."

57 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

If they're just reading glasses, they're not that expensive, but also what @vibeology said:

23 minutes ago, vibeology said:

When you've got that Big Bang Theory money, you can afford all the glasses you want.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

...I was starting to be ok with Mayim, ugly clothes and glasses aside, but am not liking her laughing at the contestants for not knowing the answers.... 

I've been telling myself that Mayim is laughing *with* them rather than *at* them, and that at least half the time she is laughing at herself too for not knowing the correct responses.
I will try to take note this evening as to whether the contestants look amused too.

Regardless, you are not along in finding her laughter rude, so I expect it will stop soon. 

I thought my own incorrect response of "Dirt Devil" for "Dust Devil" was pretty funny, but it's not costing me anything.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

One favorite bit of trivia I learned recently, which may not be news to those a few years older than me, is that   Foot Locker is the same corporate entity that was Woolworth's, two name changes later.  This goes back to their purchase of Kinney Shoes in 1963 and a later plan to develop several "specialty stores" so they could get into malls.  The idea was that, if one store failed in a certain mall, they could swap it out easily for another, but the shoe store is the only concept that really took off.  The last Woolworth's closed in 1997 but Foot Locker is still doing fairly well, or at least it was pre-COVID.

If they'd put in a Woolworth's Luncheonette Counter, I'd be at Foot Locker two, three times a week.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I knew Maude. I was also depressed it was a TS. We can watch TV together.

Sigh, I know. I had the same reaction when, a while back, 'Rhoda Morganstern' was a TS.

Edited by Josiemae
On 10/14/2021 at 3:09 PM, DonnaMae said:

I agree, and I'm not a fan of lime green clothing.  She's never going to win a prize for her fashion choices.

How snarky am I to mention that,  pre-BBT, she was on "What Not to Wear"?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

In the first recording I tried to watch, we went directly from “In 1540, this chief advisor to Henry VIII was executed” to “Who is Selena Gomez?” A woman of many talents, it would seem! Or a little glitch, but I know which one I’d rather believe.

I laughed at the clue about Celine Dion covering an Eric Carmen song. I’ve heard it but would never have been able to place it, except that I was recently searching for a different song with the title “All By Myself” and was annoyed by all the results from those two artists! Perhaps there is meaning in everything.

One favorite bit of trivia I learned recently, which may not be news to those a few years older than me, is that   Foot Locker is the same corporate entity that was Woolworth's, two name changes later.  This goes back to their purchase of Kinney Shoes in 1963 and a later plan to develop several "specialty stores" so they could get into malls.  The idea was that, if one store failed in a certain mall, they could swap it out easily for another, but the shoe store is the only concept that really took off.  The last Woolworth's closed in 1997 but Foot Locker is still doing fairly well, or at least it was pre-COVID.

Well, I'm plenty old (hello Kinney shoes, I'd forgotten about you) and never had an idea that these three stores were in any way connected.

4 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

I seem to remember Buzzy having more than one pair of glasses, but I may be mistaken. I see it often with celebrities of various sorts. One of the more ...colorful...celebrities is Prue on The Great British Baking Show. Boy, does she have a lot, and boy are they all brightly colored.

I've never had more than one pair at a time, and I'm good with that, but then I'm not on screen all the time (zoom doesn't count).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I've never had more than one pair at a time, and I'm good with that, but then I'm not on screen all the time (zoom doesn't count).

I have regular glasses and sunglasses (which I can't drive with because the prescription is off, now). The regular ones are progressives and cost 400 bucks so I am fine with one. (The sunglasses are just for distance so they cost less, at least.)

Though I suppose they could be wearing contacts for vision correction and just get frames with plain lenses for fun.

• Love 3

Another archive game for me, as I'll be heading to a friend's house when the episode starts.  I have no idea how I'd have done in the Movie Titles Through Pictures category, but I'm giving myself credit for three.  The only other one I'm assuming on is "stack of Bibles" - depending on the picture, I think the BMS prompt would have led me to it (my first answer was just "the Bible"), so I'm counting it as a get.  Other than that, I either know the picture wouldn't have helped (e.g. dugong) or I didn't need it (e.g. Trinity, Big Sur). 

The God TS surprised me (even I guessed that one correctly).

This was a decidedly meh game for me.  I ran the "Eye" and quotations categories, but that was it in the first round.  I missed two each in books and swear, and one each in the other two.

In DJ, I only ran impassable.  I missed three in words, two in potpourri, figure I'd have missed another two in movies, and one each in high/low and libraries.

I had no idea for FJ, though; I've never heard of those books, and none of the collections I came up made sense with being told the same way each time, so I didn't even have a guess.

• Love 1

Pick. Faster.

Doesn't everyone on this show have a long history of being a Jeopardy fan?

I only missed four clues in the entire first round! (Two in State Your Name, and one each in Do Solemnly Swear and Now Read This!)

And then Double Jeopardy happened. Got four Movie Titles, three Impassable Dreams, and a total of 6 over the other four categories. Sigh.

Got the DD in the first round and my TSes were eye opener and dugong.

FJ was an instaget. And an asterisk! (I always did wonder why it was called that.)

87% / 43% / 66%

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The only other one I'm assuming on is "stack of Bibles" - depending on the picture, I think the BMS prompt would have led me to it (my first answer was just "the Bible"), so I'm counting it as a get.  

It was literally a pile of about 5 or 6 Bibles.

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Other than that, I either know the picture wouldn't have helped (e.g. dugong) or I didn't need it (e.g. Trinity, Big Sur). 

The dugong was similar to this.

National Geographic Egypt GIF by Nat Geo Wild

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I hope they put Matt and Jonathan in the same TOC game so Matt can beat him because I am a petty person.  😂 Despite her slowness, I really wanted Connie to win.  I liked her steadiness.   I ran the book category and the movie category but could not figure out FJ. I also said Jungle Book.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

I got eye opener, God, and dugong and figured out FJ. I didn't know the backstory of "Just So Stories" either. I thought it meant "that's how it happened."

I wondered why Connie went almost all in on FJ when she wasn't going to catch Jonathan and pretty much had a lock on second place.

• Love 3

Instaget FJ for me.  I finished writing it down before Mayim finished reading the clue.  I was actually surprised that none of the contestants knew it.  

Coincidentally, I have "Golden Girl" here next to me, next on my to read list, so Elin Hilderbrand was an easy get.  I also got the other TS of eye-opener and dugong.

I liked the movie title category.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I've been telling myself that Mayim is laughing *with* them rather than *at* them, and that at least half the time she is laughing at herself too for not knowing the correct responses.
I will try to take note this evening as to whether the contestants look amused too.
Regardless, you are not along in finding her laughter rude, so I expect it will stop soon. 
I thought my own incorrect response of "Dirt Devil" for "Dust Devil" was pretty funny, but it's not costing me anything.

It looks like that day arrived...or at least that Mayim is more carefully stating that she is amused because she doesn't know the correct response either and/or finds it amusing...

37 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The dugong was similar to this.

National Geographic Egypt GIF by Nat Geo Wild

I did not know the "dugong" for the $1000 GRAZE ANATOMY clue, but I did notice that when Mayim said:
   "What is a dugong? Now we all know that's what that is" that Nima was laughing along with Mayim.

FJ was an instaget (and an asterisk*) for me, but when I saw the category of LITERATURE FOR CHILDREN I was really worried about the:
“'burden of knowledge' - when you know a lot about a subject and miss obvious answers cause you have to sift through so much.”  twitter.com/buzztronics/status/1440520643515072525?s=20

Tonight I was not so sleepy and also got the TSs of:

• eye opener
  • God
  • Nasser

36 minutes ago, LBS said:

I hope they put Matt and Jonathan in the same TOC game so Matt can beat him because I am a petty person.  😂 

I would like to see that nail biter too. Is there any reason that Matt and Jonathan would not face off in the TOC?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I would like to see that nail biter too. Is there any reason that Matt and Jonathan would not face off in the TOC?

If they play on different days of the quarterfinals and one or the other has a spectacular failure.

OR they might be scheduled for different days in the semi-finals and, once again, one or the other blows it.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Who is in charge of assigning clue values? I've been stumped by 400 dollar clues and thought 2000 dollar clues were too easy. Lake Nasser shouldn't have been a 2000 clue. FJ was a snap for me I was surprised nobody got it. I have to give Johnathan credit for smart betting if he was unfamiliar with the topic,

• Love 2

I was frustrated by the slowness of the game, but they revealed all the clues, so I'm not sure if it's really as slow as it feels. It might be the irregular rhythm of contestants moving at different paces, that irritates me.

I was amused by Connie's comment about how she didn't like that one, after the reveal on the TS about God. It just struck me that we don't get a lot of snark on J!

When I saw 5 Bibles, I over-thought it and thought it was maybe the Pentateuch, even though it didn't look to me like any Torah I'd ever seen. I wouldn't call that a burden of knowledge but maybe a suspicion of simplicity.

I knew Just So Stories. I don't know why, but I did. 

I used to think Mayim was laughing at herself and with the contestants, but for a couple of days I thought otherwise, especially with some of the comments she was making during the interviews. I don't think it bothered me as much today, though. I think she's more awkward than malicious, though. 

• Love 7

I did fairly well, and ran the ÜMLAUT and DIËRESIS category. Though I embarrassingly tanked on the library category (having been a librarian once upon a time).

I had no clue for FJ except to think "Kipling's daughter....do I know anything about Kipling" I mean, I didn't even get to Jungle Book.

I don't think I'd ever seen or heard of a dugong. Cool video.

Looking at the J!Archive list of episodes, it's kind of sad and wierd - a long list of Matt in first place and Jonathon taking up the other spaces in the list. I miss Matt.

Have there been any other contestants who been beat a long reigning champ that won as many games afterwards? I don't think so, but I throw it out to the experts.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I have regular glasses and sunglasses (which I can't drive with because the prescription is off, now). The regular ones are progressives and cost 400 bucks so I am fine with one. (The sunglasses are just for distance so they cost less, at least.)

Though I suppose they could be wearing contacts for vision correction and just get frames with plain lenses for fun.

I have progressives too, but haven't bought sunglasses in eons. My new glasses need some clip ons, because their shape won't work with my old clipons.

Edited by Clanstarling
Shapeshifter checked my spelling and intent. Thanks!
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Have there been any other contestants who been a long reigning champ that won as many games afterwards? I don't think so, but I throw it out to the experts.

Did you mean "Have there been any other contestants who beat a long reigning champ that won as many games afterwards?" rather than "who have been"?

If I'm reading the data correctly (and randomly) I see in both seasons 31 and 33 that a 7-day champ was followed by a 7-day champ. 
Maybe 7 games is a typical number before burnout? 
although a random sample of 2 is hardly the basis for a statistical conclusion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Did you mean "Have there been any other contestants who beat a long reigning champ that won as many games afterwards?" rather than "who have been"?

If I'm reading the data correctly (and randomly) I see in both seasons 31 and 33 that a 7-day champ was followed by a 7-day champ. 
Maybe 7 games is a typical number before burnout? 
although a random sample of 2 is hardly the basis for a statistical conclusion.

Yep. My keyboard is terrible. Not my brain, mind you, my keyboard. 😂 And I was thinking more of the top 10 champs (Ken, James, etc.)

I'm jaded, 7 days doesn't seem long to me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

I laughed when they missed the Maud answer and Mayim said "What is Maud".  I was reading about Ken Jennings first appearance on Jeopardy.  For his final answer he wrote "Who is Jones" for the question... on the Olympics.  Alex clarified the last name only was fine since there were not that many female athletes.  And here we have how many years later... people complaining when Matt did it.

• Love 5

I am getting used to Mayim but she did my pet peeve again on Friday. There was a category with quotes but she didn't explain it or note it for the contestants. I've noticed an awfully lot of the guest hosts haven't done that, but I do feel that can affect the game. Alex always pointed it out and I can't help but wonder if occasionally someone doesn't forget without that reminder.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, WI GIRL56 said:

I was reading about Ken Jennings first appearance on Jeopardy.  For his final answer he wrote "Who is Jones" for the question... on the Olympics.  Alex clarified the last name only was fine since there were not that many female athletes.  And here we have how many years later... people complaining when Matt did it.

I tweeted about that (in Matt's defense) and Matt liked my tweet. 
Neener neener neener

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Yep. My keyboard is terrible. Not my brain, mind you, my keyboard. 😂 And I was thinking more of the top 10 champs (Ken, James, etc.)

I'm jaded, 7 days doesn't seem long to me.

Didn't Emma (I think that was her name) defeat James and then won enough games to be in the TOC with him? I think usually the "giant killers" do tend to be one and dones, though.  I'm pretty sure the woman that beat Ken was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, lmulsman said:

Didn't Emma (I think that was her name) defeat James and then won enough games to be in the TOC with him? I think usually the "giant killers" do tend to be one and dones, though.  I'm pretty sure the woman that beat Ken was.

Emma won three games (including her victory against James), which normally wouldn't be enough to get into the TOC.  The producers invited her back, I think, mostly for the stunt value of having a "rematch" (passing over several four-game winners to do it).  They have discretion to do that, and if I recall correctly, they said that she was replacing Larry Martin, the Teachers Tournament winner who had passed away from cancer in the interim.

That's not to take anything away from Emma's achievement, but she didn't have quite the post-James success that Jonathan is having post-Matt. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, lmulsman said:

So Jonathan Fisher, with 5 known wins to-date, is an outlier WRT champion slayers
--which, for me, elevates Matt as a Jeopardy! champ to be reckoned with, especially since Jonathan was assisted by Jessica Stephens.

Edited by shapeshifter
editing because I am A LOT slower at producing accurate facts than Jeopardy! champs
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

So Jonathan Fisher, with 5 known wins to-date, is an outlier WRT champion slayers
--which, for me, elevates Matt as a Jeopardy! champ to be reckoned with, especially since Jonathan was assisted by Jessica Stephens.

Thank you. I knew someone would do the work if I threw it out there. 😁

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Thank you. I knew someone would do the work if I threw it out there. 😁

I guess I should do the same... anyone here like cleaning windows?😁

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2021 at 10:28 AM, Caoimhe said:

It made my OCD very happy to hear “who is Arthur Conan Doyle” last night instead of “What’s...............................................................Doyle”. 

FIFY!

I am so beyond happy Matt finally lost.  Now I can start watching again.

• Love 4
On 10/15/2021 at 9:43 AM, 853fisher said:

In the first recording I tried to watch, we went directly from “In 1540, this chief advisor to Henry VIII was executed” to “Who is Selena Gomez?” A woman of many talents, it would seem! Or a little glitch, but I know which one I’d rather believe.

I laughed at the clue about Celine Dion covering an Eric Carmen song. I’ve heard it but would never have been able to place it, except that I was recently searching for a different song with the title “All By Myself” and was annoyed by all the results from those two artists! Perhaps there is meaning in everything.

Woolworths - as it was then - bought Eastbay and changed its name to Venator right before I started working at Eastbay. I still have a mug that says Venator somewhere.

On 10/16/2021 at 5:20 PM, WI GIRL56 said:

I laughed when they missed the Maud answer and Mayim said "What is Maud".  I was reading about Ken Jennings first appearance on Jeopardy.  For his final answer he wrote "Who is Jones" for the question... on the Olympics.  Alex clarified the last name only was fine since there were not that many female athletes.  And here we have how many years later... people complaining when Matt did it.

It’s not that Matt did it once, it’s that he nearly always did it, and even when it made sense to be more specific, it was rarely asked to be more specific.

It’s not letting me put my comment below the quote here. Emma won 3 games only, including her defeat of James.

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Emma Boettcher only won 3 games after defeating "Jeopardy James.”

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

It’s not letting me put my comment below the quote here. Emma won 3 games only, including her defeat of James.

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Emma Boettcher only won 3 games after defeating "Jeopardy James.”

Right! I just changed "after" to "when." 
I thought it didn't look quite right, but figured it was the italics--which I added because I think winning even 3 games on Jeopardy! is pretty awesome, but that's probably not clear from the way I typed it.🤔

• Love 2
On 10/15/2021 at 8:02 PM, GreekGeek said:

I didn't know the backstory of "Just So Stories" either.

I didn't know the back story, but I knew Kipling wrote them and it had to be them since they fit so well.

On 10/15/2021 at 8:21 PM, shapeshifter said:

They probably wouldn't face each other in the first round, but could in the semis or finals unless someone beats them.  Which is entirely possible.

On 10/16/2021 at 5:20 PM, WI GIRL56 said:

Just because it's not against the rules doesn't mean we have to like it.  Same with the "What's" - it fit the parameters of the rules but annoyed some of us.  And the lack of "be more specific" has been a long-running issue.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Just because it's not against the rules doesn't mean we have to like it.  Same with the "What's" - it fit the parameters of the rules but annoyed some of us.  And the lack of "be more specific" has been a long-running issue.

For me, if it's within the rules, then I'm okay with it. But the BMS, that definitely needs to be addressed.

• Love 4

Good boards for me. I got all of “Disney Songs” and 4/5 on a few others. Unfortunately not much of an idea on FJ. I was thinking of guessing William Henry Harrison or Andrew Jackson, imagining a victory tour after Tippecanoe or New Orleans, but I was about a decade off on each. A quick skim of the Wikipedia article about Lafayette’s visit suggests it was linked to the 50th anniversary of independence in 1826. I might’ve been thinking of a Revolutionary figure if that had been the year mentioned, but I couldn’t get anything from 1824. Approaching it by naming Indiana cities didn't help me much either, but perhaps being from there was an edge for Adam.  Anyway, good clue!  I'm going to enjoy reading about the trip later.

I liked everyone’s interviews today. I was impressed with Jonathan’s gracious answer about the prospect of facing Matt again, liked Adam’s anecdote about Santa Claus IN which I would like to visit one day, and agreed with Anna that Splendor is a really fun game. I recently discovered it and have found it easy to enjoy but tough to master. Like many recent board games with lots of tokens and counting, I find it even more pleasant online than in the physical realm, but I do feel tempted to throw a Renaissance party after Anna’s comments.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 7

This was an archive game for me, but thankfully not being able to see the pictures wasn't a factor; I either knew it from the text or wouldn't have known it even with the picture.

The grey TS surprised me bit, as did Lake Nicaragua.

I missed the Longfellow and Accent TS, Tom Ford, and three Disney songs, so had just a so-so first round.

Same with DJ; I only ran "age" and theatre, missing three each in writers and mysteries and two each in the others.

To top it off, I didn't know FJ.  I've done far worse, but this was just not my game.

• Love 2

83% / 60% / 70%

Round 1: Ran Bird Brains and Disney Songs, missed one each in the others except Car Models where I missed two.

Round 2: Ran nothing; missed one each in VerbiAGE and Beautiful Names and two or three each in the others.

Final: Nope. (I figured it was wrong but I thought of Gary, too.)

Got all three DDs and my TSes were Lake Nicaragua, African Grey, John Deere, Accent, UCLA, and Delroy Lindo.

• Love 1

I said Anthony Wayne.  Because Fort wayne.  You can discuss amongst yourselves how stupid that answer is, but I thought it wasn't the worst guess in the world.

I got the missed clues of John Deere, grey, and Frederik Bachman.

I got the entire categories of Disney songs and bird brain right.

Did much better in the first round than the second and ended up fairly far in the red.

• Love 4

I knew it wasn't Gary, because, y'know, The Music Man.  "Gary, Indiana. What a wonderful name! Named for Elbert Gary of judiciary fame..."  Not quite a hero. I couldn't think of any hero named Muncie and then I remembered Jefferson's pal, LaFayette, who spent a LOT of time at Monticello while on his tour. TJ died in 1826.

Of course, harking back to the contestant interviews, some might consider Santa Claus a hero, but I wasn't sure if the dates would be right.  LOL.

• Love 5