Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

On 12/17/2021 at 12:43 AM, SeanC said:

One of the best MCU movies, in my opinion. And also, this was the first time since the pandemic start that I felt like it was a 'true' theatrical experience in terms of the crowd, the people cheered like crazy for every single major character appearance.

Agreed. I don't think I realized how much I missed the audience aspect of movies. We're all in this together, watch Spidey go! I laughed more than most at the little jokes while the rest of the crowd was more shouting in celebration every time a new character comes on screen. 

There was so much to like about this movie. I still think Spider-Man 2 is probably the best Spider-Man movie ever (maybe Into the Spider-Verse) but this was still so good. I loved that Ned and MJ got to be more involved. I didn't feel as annoyed by Ned bringing in the other Spider-Men as I thought I would when I first read that spoiler. It played way more natural than I would've guessed. "You're in a wizard's dungeon. There's no way to sugarcoat that" was a fantastic line from MJ. 

Andrew was clearly so excited to be back. I felt bad for him being the butt of the "I love you" "Thank you" joke, along with his feeling lame for never having fought aliens. Somehow the one who's supposed to be the cool skater boy ended up the dorkiest of the three, even though one of them looks like "a cool youth pastor." I love that he got to redeem himself by saving MJ. And I liked that she was concerned for him too. It was a nice shared moment. I was kind of hoping we'd get a post-credits scene of him meeting his own MJ. 

Tobey stopping Tom from killing Goblin was so good and reminded me of the internet arguments of which Spidey would win and the scene where he saved MJ from Doc Ock's machine. 

I really liked how they expanded on Peter's relationship with Doctor Strange, since he was lacking the "rich superhero with a goatee" figure after Tony's death. I like how he included himself in the people that love Peter and will forget him. 

I hate that Peter was left with nothing. No one to love him, no mementos of his life. And killing May just breaks my heart. She's the one constant. Not to mention she's dying in her 50s before he even reaches adulthood, when I know perfectly well Rosemary Harris (and thus original recipe Aunt May) is still kicking. And I'm annoyed there was no mention of his Ben. I was hoping we'd at least see May buried next to him, but nope. The only hints we've gotten that he even had an Uncle Ben were "When you can do the things that I can do, but you don't, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you" and the suitcase having Ben's initials in Far From Home. 

I would have liked to see Tobey's MJ, Harry and Aunt May and Andrew's Aunt May (his Harry can go die a violent fiery death), and I would've liked a mention of JJJ being the same. I also wish we'd heard that Peter and MJ were married and had 2 kids like they do in at least one alternate universe. And I just had the realization that with bringing people back from the dead who knew the secret, we were totally robbed of getting a scene with Emma Stone. Dammit. 

17 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

So characters like Fury, Carol, Thor and the Guardians should still remember cause they should be off world during this time. 

Interesting theory but I did take it to mean everyone in this world/universe, so that only the other Spider-Men and company would still know him. 

• Love 4

I went into this thinking it was either going to be an overstuffed train wreck or completely amazing. Such a relief that they nailed it. One reason I think it worked so well was the pacing. They let every character have their moments without trying to do to much at once or rushing. They took the time to give all the little character beats. 

The ending did leave the movie in a sour note. I hate that Peter has lost everyone but I do like that it stripped the character back to a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

Interestingly Andrew Garfield’s introduction got the reaction in my theater and it was silent for Tobey. 

On 12/17/2021 at 12:22 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Aunt May's death.  I'm not sure if it would be technically considered fringing since I believe that's mainly used for when a hero's love interest is killed off, but it still felt like a cliched way to raise the stakes and make it personal for Peter.  Granted, I felt like the series never really took advantage of Marisa Tomei's talents here to begin with, but it was still disappointing.

I have mixed feelings on that. On one hand it’s another female character killed to propel the hero but, on the other hand, they gave May a much more pivotal role in Peter’s life which traditionally went to a man. I’m split on if it’s a step forward or a step back. 

From a story standpoint I kind of love giving Peter his origin story after we have come to care for these characters. May’s death has so much more impact than Uncle Ben’s ever did in the other movies. 

1 hour ago, bettername2come said:

Tobey stopping Tom from killing Goblin was so good

I really loved that there was no dialogue and everything was in Tobey's eyes. I keep reading that Tobey was wooden, and maybe that's valid, but I thought there was such a genuine sweetness to his Peter in addition to the youth pastor vibes. 

• Love 7

Even though a lot of us had heard the casting rumors, seeing Tobey and Andrew was great and everyone at my showing cheered and clapped for both of them when they came through the portals. 

All the Spideys bonding at the Statue of Liberty was the best part. Tom-Spidey and Andrew-Spidey being jealous of Tobey-Spidey being able to produce the webs and then wondering if it came out of places other than his wrists was hilarious. Poor Andrew-Spidey, stuck being Spiderman #3. But he was the one who saved MJ, which was a great moment. And I'm glad MJ and Ned are still friends (and got into MIT) after their memories of Peter were erased. 

Aunt May's death was sad, even though I figured it was going to happen. Peter talking to Happy at her grave hurt, since Happy can't remember him and Peter has no one to share his grief with.

Pretty sure this is the first time a post-credit scene has been structured like a promo instead of just being an actual scene. Succeeded in making me even more excited for MOM, though. Wanda! Evil Strange Supreme! It's going to be a long five months.

• Love 6

Ooh!  I really want to go back to Disneyland - now that no one knows who Peter is, I’m sure the wait time for Web Slingers has dropped considerably.  (Checks app) Still over an hour???  Someone go to the ancient sanctum show, and let Strange know that his spell didn’t take in this corner of the multiverse…

Overall, I’m pretty happy with this.  It seems like every Spider-Man movie ends with Peter deciding that he either needs to bear his responsibility on his own, or that he needs his family to help him get by- and it’s kind of sad that this one ended on a rather bleak version of the former.  But I think they mostly earned it- and everything leading up to the ending was so good.

Thank goodness they managed to pull off the Three-Pete!  It’s kind of crazy how they are clearly all Peter Parker, but at the same time distinct characters.  They each had a specific role to play- it wasn’t like we just got a couple of Spider-Clones.  Tom felt like the leader - with Tobey as the mentor, and Andrew as the conscience.  And if we’re keeping score, I feel like my audience reactions were about even for both reveals- although I was at a full, but subdued (typically midwestern), 11am Saturday show.

I like what they did with the villains- much like with the Spideys, I felt like they managed to give them each a unique motivation.  Would it have been fun to get a Sinister Six moment?  Sure- but I’m happy with the group that we got (not sure who else I would have wanted to see anyway)- and I thought it made sense that they weren’t really a “team,” just a bunch of guys who showed up because they all wanted the box.

I’m glad that this film (and Venom 2) clearly show that the Sony films exist outside the MCU.  I do like the idea that maybe when Tom Hardy Venom gets to New York, that it’s Garfield’s Spider-Man that he meets up with.  I’m not thrilled with the drop of goo getting left behind- in the MCU, but who knows when/if they’ll have the time to follow up with it.  Lastly , I feel like this movie further reinforces my plan to wait and see with Morbius- I feel like this just made whatever they’re trying to do in that film a whole lot messier.

• Love 4

We just got back.  The crowd erupted twice, and the clapping was about equal. When Andrew-Peter saved MJ, the audience reaction could best be described as a happy sob.  Lovely to hear.

We described the ending as very bittersweet with the sweet part being very mild.  I actually was very sad when I left the theatre.

While the crappy apartment at the end made sense, Peter’s complaint about being broke early on didn’t.  Are we supposed to think Pepper doesn’t want to help the Avengers?  I had the same problem when Falcon couldn’t get a loan. Pulls me right out of the story.  I also was frustrated that he kept interrupting the spell.  Good god just tell your friends and your aunt you are Spider-Man.  

I thought Strange was the best and brightest, but Wong took over because seniority?!?  Silly.  Also, the portal ring was shown to be very difficult to master.  Did they forget, or does Ned have secret powers?  I like him just being smart.

This was wonderful!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I thought Strange was the best and brightest, but Wong took over because seniority?!?  Silly.  Also, the portal ring was shown to be very difficult to master.  Did they forget, or does Ned have secret powers?  I like him just being smart.

Someone had to take over when Strange was dusted for five years. I guess there’s no loophole for the title to revert back in the event of resurrection.

I think Ned mentioned his grandmother telling him he had magic. Maybe there’s something to that. If so, I just hope it doesn’t lead him down his comic counterpart’s path. I think never knowing Peter may change him in more substantial ways than MJ. It’d have been nice for Peter to at least say something to him in the coffee shop like congrats on MIT or something. So that we could see if there was the slightest flicker of recognition the way MJ might have had.

On a scale of 1-10, how embarrassed would Steve be about a giant Cap shield replacing the Statue of Liberty’s tablet? I would think Sam, Bucky, and Rhodey may have had some choice words at that decision.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I thought Strange was the best and brightest, but Wong took over because seniority?!?  Silly.  Also, the portal ring was shown to be very difficult to master.  Did they forget, or does Ned have secret powers?  I like him just being smart.

This was wonderful!

I don't see the issue with the Strange stuff. It's not silly. It's logical. Wong was the strongest there after Strange. Wong has also clearly been doing more actual work and being proactive. He actually makes more sense at this point. Doesn't make Strange any less strong.

They just wanted to give Ned something to do. I don't think there is much else there. They didn't think about the logic. If leas to something more that would be cool though.

I was really worried they were going to put MJ and Ned together in the absence of Peter. I am glad they gave those two some moments to feel like actual friends though. It was starting to feel like fast and the furious where Letti and Brian almost never talked TO each other. They were just close through Dom.

I hate that every single time a woman dies in a movie now, there has to be a debate about it. It's just getting out of hand. Not everything is about fridging. Characters die. Also, by necessity, supporting characters to the hero will die. That's the danger of being close to the hero. Everyone can't have plot Armour all the time. The issue is having female characters around JUST to die or being in service of the male lead. No life of their own. No motivations for themselves. Aunt May had her own life, fully realized personality and lasted more than three movies. Fridged or done wrong she was not.

I enjoyed being in the theater but generally I still don't really give a shit. I hadn't been in the theaters since March 2020. I'm fine with that. Other than Scream 5 I won't again any time soon.

I must admit that a lot of the humor largely fell flat with me. Either through commercials ruining moments or jokes just seeming too set up and try hard.

Dafoe and Garfield were the MVP's here for me. Such great, multi layered performances. I legitimately teared up when Garfield talked about Gwen.

I finally felt IT with this MJ and Peter. The bond, the love, the connection. 

What hurts these movies for me isn't whether or not I see it at a theater. What sucks is that the internet had to spoil, theorize and document everything about them while they are filming. You don't even have to look for this stuff. It will find you somehow. Imagine having zero knowledge or inkling that other Spidermen, Murdock or certain villains were in this instead of it being set up by constant news or commercials that give away too much. I'm sure some select people can pull that off. By and large, you just can't these days. Not with the big movies.

Lastly, people complaining about too much fan service here hurt my brain. It's in service of YOU, the fan. Enjoy it. More importantly, characters here were still real characters. They weren't here just to say, I know that person. Minus Murdock. They had their own stories. Their own arcs. It's wasn't just nostalgia for nostalgia sake.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

This was wonderful!

The MCU has constantly said that "magic" is just science that most did not believe is possible. If a whole battalion of wizards could sling in an army to New York to fight aliens then a smart scientist should be able to figure out how it was done and replicate it.

So is it a power? I guess like Tony Stark's mind or Peter's figuring out the formula to his webs.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Also, the portal ring was shown to be very difficult to master.  Did they forget, or does Ned have secret powers?  I like him just being smart.

I mentioned this to my son last night when we got home.  Along with the other responses you got, his was that Ned didn't over think things.  He had the ring, he knew that such things existed in his world and they needed one. 

7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

1. I hate that every single time a woman dies in a movie now, there has to be a debate about it. It's just getting out of hand. Not everything is about fridging. Characters die. Also, by necessity, supporting characters to the hero will die. That's the danger of being close to the hero. Everyone can't have plot Armour all the time. The issue is having female characters around JUST to die or being in service of the male lead. No life of their own. No motivations for themselves. Aunt May had her own life, fully realized personality and lasted more than three movies. Fridged or done wrong she was not.

2. What hurts these movies for me isn't whether or not I see it at a theater. What sucks is that the internet had to spoil, theorize and document everything about them while they are filming. You don't even have to look for this stuff. It will find you somehow. Imagine having zero knowledge or inkling that other Spidermen, Murdock or certain villains were in this instead of it being set up by constant news or commercials that give away too much. I'm sure some select people can pull that off. By and large, you just can't these days. Not with the big movies.

1.  Thank you!  I had a feeling when she died that some part of the internet would start talking about "fridging".  I hated that she died, but each of the Spidermen had someone close to them die that changed them.  Peter had Aunt May. 

2. I've said before on other threads, but ignorance is bliss.  As I've gotten older, I've been less and less inclined to read up on my favorite movies and what's happening.  If something comes across my FB feed and sounds interesting, I may click on it and scan the article, but I don't search out what's happening in Hollywood like I used to.  The multi-verse aspect of this movie had me wonder if we'd see the other two, but I also knew that there'd be no leaks, so I didn't think too much about it.  I did happen to see a headline about Spider Man fans thinking that Matt Murdoch was going to be his lawyer and wished I hadn't because that would have been more fun since the thought would have never crossed my mind.  The hardest part of social media for me these days is avoiding spoilers since many sites don't mind putting them right in their headlines.  I did well avoiding it this time, but then again, it's still opening weekend.  It's going to get harder for people after this week.

"Wow.  Was that a band?" lol!  I loved almost every minute of this movie.  It was fun, wild, heart breaking, moving....everything that was needed to make a great movie.  I was thinking that if the other two Spidermen came back that they would be cameos, but they way they folded them into the story was perfect and beyond anything I had imagined.  I only saw the Toby Maguire ones once when they first came out and hadn't seen the Andrew Garfield ones at all, with the exception of the last half of The Amazing Spider Man 2 when I came home and saw that my daughter was watching it in preparation for last night (she watched all 5 within a week).  Thank God I saw the scene where he couldn't save Gwen because it made that moment so much more moving.  I teared up more than once and that was one those times.

I only wish that it could have been that people remembered Peter, but not that he was Spider-Man. 

Finally, Tom Holland, man.....he's an outstanding actor.  I can't wait to see what's next from him.

• Love 10

Awesome movie.  It delivered and more.  It was a real homage to the earlier Spider-Man films and seeing these actors return.as their previous characters was wonderful.  Norman meets Otto.

Andrew Garfield was the best thing and it's great he got a chance to redeem his run.

Loved seeing Mat Murdock show up.

It's interesting that this trilogy basically serves as a prequel to the Spider-Man character we know in the comics.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Also, the portal ring was shown to be very difficult to master.  Did they forget, or does Ned have secret powers?

It was shown to be very difficult for Strange to master. He was surrounded by other students who got it very quickly. Strange was desperate but first did not believe it was possible and then believed that he was too injured to do it. His difficulty mastering the sling ring was entirely about is own issues. 

Clearly there is natural ability involved but it was never presented as something that only a few could learn. 

11 hours ago, benteen said:

It's interesting that this trilogy basically serves as a prequel to the Spider-Man character we know in the comics.

That’s the thing that is really standing out to me. It’s a really smart way to end the trilogy considering the rights issues. Sony could easily take the character from here or continue to work with Marvel. 

Edited by Guest

While no remembers Peter, it's clear everyone knows of Spiderman still (J. Jonah and Happy both mentioned him).   Ergo, presumably the Avengers still remember Spiderman is one of them and the things he's done with them, even if they don't remember who he is.   If he wanted to, I would assume Peter could show up and prove he's Spiderman and start anew.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 6

Just got back from the theater. It was enjoyable. 

The Matt Murdock reveal wasn't has impactful since I saw Hawkeye first and he didn't get much to do. But I am excited to see where they take the character in the future.

Since they did a great job continuing the stories of Maguire and Garfield's Spider men. I loved seeing both of them. The scenes with the three of them doing science, bonding over shared tragedies of not being able to save a loved one and making fun of Tobey's natural webbing. Lol

This was also still Holland's movie and he went through a lot. I don't know if like everyone forgetting him since to me that means he's not going to be in the MCU anymore. 

Saving all the villians was an interesting choice. What does that mean for their worlds? 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, SeanC said:

It creates alternate timelines upon their return.

That is interesting, so I wonder, would Osborne being cured change Doc Ock's fate at all? He's the only one that turned good before dying and, ended up saving Peter/the world. So "fixing" him wouldn't necessarily change his fate, since the point he jumped universe's was right before he turned good anyway.

Although, Osborne being cured should create a new timeline where Harry never becomes the Goblin and, should still be alive. I'm assuming the TVA is out of commission at this point

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Racj82 said:

What hurts these movies for me isn't whether or not I see it at a theater. What sucks is that the internet had to spoil, theorize and document everything about them while they are filming.

Early on I told myself that there was no doubt whatsoever I was going to see and enjoy this movie, so I needed to know absolutely nothing about it that wasn't revealed in the first teaser trailer. Running screaming in the other direction from every mention of the movie worked out really well for me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't know if like everyone forgetting him since to me that means he's not going to be in the MCU anymore. 

Why would this mean he will not be in the MCU anymore? I am pretty sure I heard the opposite. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Why would this mean he will not be in the MCU anymore? I am pretty sure I heard the opposite. 

I don't know for me it gives Sony an out if they want. I hope they don't. 

So Peter Parker doesn't exist but Spider-Man does. How did May die if she never had a nephew? 

26 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

So Peter Parker doesn't exist but Spider-Man does. How did May die if she never had a nephew? 

In Law & Order: MCU the case of the May Parker homicide would just go cold

• Love 1

May was a casualty of a fight between Green Goblin and Spider-Man. My guess is every encounter with Peter has been erased but they still remember interacting with Spider-Man. It gets handwavey cuz I'm not sure exactly how the memories were altered. Perhaps MJ remembers Spidey swinging her through Midtown but is fuzzy on why?

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I think everything still happened, it's just that everyone in the world got mind wiped about a lot of pertinent details. Mostly knowing Spider-man's secret identity, and knowing Peter Parker at all. Presumably he still has a birth certificate and SSN. Looks like he took it upon himself to leave school and get a GED, though. {shrug} Maybe he still has his grades and school record but it would be hella awkward to go back to a senior year where teachers who had taught him didn't remember him at all. (I can't believe this was in some of the first trailers and I still didn't expect the film to One More Day his secret for real at the end.)

Tobey and Andrew were everything I could have hoped for.

Parts of the film, like the team-up itself, bonding over Spider-failures, and esp fighting a supervillain in the Hudson Valley woods in fall, felt like pulls right out of Into The Spider-verse.

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Sony and Marvel execs have already said they have something in the works for Spidey next. Feign specifically said he is revealing that much so people don’t have the same anxiety they had after Far From Home. Tom’s actually been the one who sounds somewhat hesitant in interviews talking about continuing the role. Putting it all together it sounds like they are still in negotiations with Tom to extend us contract. 

Strange specifically says that they can’t change the past. He only erased the memory of Peter. Everything happened in the same way. The good thing with that is there are a lot of ways to give people back their movies or have them see the flaws. MJ probably will figure it out eventually. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

Sony and Marvel execs have already said they have something in the works for Spidey next. Feign specifically said he is revealing that much so people don’t have the same anxiety they had after Far From Home. Tom’s actually been the one who sounds somewhat hesitant in interviews talking about continuing the role. Putting it all together it sounds like they are still in negotiations with Tom to extend us contract. 

Strange specifically says that they can’t change the past. He only erased the memory of Peter. Everything happened in the same way. The good thing with that is there are a lot of ways to give people back their movies or have them see the flaws. MJ probably will figure it out eventually. 

Holland already has a new deal. 

I do think by the time his next contract is up, Miles Morales will be set so Holland can exit.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Holland already has a new deal. 

I do think by the time his next contract is up, Miles Morales will be set so Holland can exit.

According to Tom the reports about his contract are not true.
Tom Holland on ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ and Planning the Future He Wants

As part of the reported deal for this film, you’re also expected to appear in an upcoming Marvel Studios movie that’s independent of Sony. Without specifying, do you already know which MCU film you’re going to pop up in as Spider-Man?

Yeah, that’s not accurate at all. The new deal that was struck up was this understanding between the two studios that should Marvel want me to appear in one of their movies, then it would be an open conversation. I don’t think it’s as black and white as, “I have a three-picture deal with Marvel and a three-picture deal with Sony.” It’s just this open conversation and open dialogue between Mr. [Bob] Iger [Walt Disney Co. executive chairman] and Mr. [Tom] Rothman [chairman of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group].

A few time this year he has said that is contract is up with NWH.

"I’m going to take a break and travel the world. It's the first time since I signed on to (“Spider-Man: Homecoming”) that I don't have a contract with someone. I might go skiing because that's something I've not really been allowed to do because it's obviously a dangerous sport. I've been very careful over the years, which is why I've become obsessed with golf because it's the only sport I can play without getting injured."

He is talking about it stepping aside to let some one else take the role. 
Tom Holland wants ‘Spider-Man’ films to be “more diverse” in the future

“I’ve loved every minute of it. I’ve been so grateful to Marvel and Sony for giving us the opportunity and keeping us on and allowing our characters to progress. It’s been amazing. And that’s why for me, I don’t want to say goodbye to Spider-Man – but I feel like we might be ready to say goodbye to Spider-Man.”

“I don’t want to be responsible for holding back the next young person that comes in who deserves it just as much,” he added.

“I would love to see a future of Spider-Man that’s more diverse – maybe you have a Spider-Gwen or a Spider-Woman,” he added. “We’ve had three Spider-Mans in a row; we’ve all been the same. It’d be nice to see something different.”

It all sounds to me like the way an actor talks when they are in negotiations and want to make it seem like they will walk. 

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Dani said:

According to Tom the reports about his contract are not true.
Tom Holland on ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ and Planning the Future He Wants

In February he said that is contract is up with NWH.

He is talking about it stepping aside to let some one else take the role. 
Tom Holland wants ‘Spider-Man’ films to be “more diverse” in the future

It all sounds to me like the way an actor talks when they are in negotiations and want to make it seem like they will walk. 

Coming from Amy Pascal, he is staying and they are already are planning another trilogy.

The issue here is that the whole trilogy part hasn't been confirmed. But, he will be back. We just don't know for how long. Tom seems to be keen on bringing Miles in so he can walk away. It's just a matter of if it happens sooner or later. I think he stays long enough to set up Miles and then it will be a case by case basis from there. He may show up for event movies. 

20 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Coming from Amy Pascal, he is staying and they are already are planning another trilogy.

The issue here is that the whole trilogy part hasn't been confirmed. But, he will be back. We just don't know for how long. Tom seems to be keen on bringing Miles in so he can walk away. It's just a matter of if it happens sooner or later. I think he stays long enough to set up Miles and then it will be a case by case basis from there. He may show up for event movies. 

She almost immediately walked that back. Sony's Amy Pascal Clarifies Spider-Man 4, 5 & 6 Announcement. Pascal still has a huge role in the Spidey movies but she no longer works for Sony.

Yes, it seems really likely but I don’t think this is just a matter of there not being an official announcement yet. It just all sounds to me like they are still negotiating. When there is a deal that hasn’t been announced it is usually flat out denials or a noncommittal but optimistic answer. When everyone involved is this talkative it’s usually a sign of negotiation tactics. It reminds of post-Far From Home period and the post-Iron Man 3 RDJ talk. In both those situations we know that there was a lot of drama happening behind the scenes. 

Edited by Guest
7 hours ago, Dani said:

She almost immediately walked that back. Sony's Amy Pascal Clarifies Spider-Man 4, 5 & 6 Announcement. Pascal still has a huge role in the Spidey movies but she no longer works for Sony.

Yes, it seems really likely but I don’t think this is just a matter of there not being an official announcement yet. It just all sounds to me like they are still negotiating. When there is a deal that hasn’t been announce it is usually flat out denials or a noncommittal but optimistic answer. When everyone involved is this talkative it’s usually a sign of negotiation tactics. It reminds of post-Far From Home period and the post-Iron Man 3 RDJ talk. In both those situations we know that there was a lot of drama happening behind the scenes. 

Ok. We will see. I'm sure he will be back. It's just a matter of for how long. 

How to Watch 'Spider-Man: No Way Home': Is the New MCU Movie Streaming on Disney+?
BY HALEIGH FOUTCH   PUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO
https://collider.com/how-to-watch-spider-man-no-way-home-online-disney-plus-streaming-theaters-where/ 

Of course, the film will eventually arrive on streaming in a few months, after its theatrical and home video windows, but you still won't see it on Disney+ for quite some time. No Way Home will stream on Starz first, thanks to an existing Pay 1 window deal with Sony. Netflix will take over those rights in 2022, but as a 2021 release, No Way Home is one of the last theatrical Sony releases that falls under the Starz first-pay deal.

So, will No Way Home ever be on Disney+ with the rest of the MCU movies? Yes, but it could be a couple of years before that happens. Since Sony (not Disney) actually owns the rights to Spider-Man, the library of Spidey films has thus far been unavailable on Disney+. However, in April 2021, Disney and Sony signed another major deal, this time focused on licensing Sony's 2022-2026 movies for the Post-Pay 1 window. Basically, that means that starting in 2022, Sony movies will first go to Netflix following their theatrical and home video windows, then they will arrive on Disney+.

However, that deal also included the library rights to the Spider-Man movies, which means eventually, those will be available to watch on Disney+ as well.
With the return of fan-favorite villains and the expansion of the MCU's multi-verse to include Sony's previous Spider-Man franchises, you're probably going to want to visit some of the old Spider-Man movies. Fortunately, most of the Spider-Man movies are streaming online right now, with the exception of The Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Spider-Man: Far From Home. The short version is that if you want to watch the Raimi trilogy, you're going to need Peacock Premium; if you want to watch Tom Holland's MCU appearances, you're going to need Disney+; and if you want to watch the rest, you're either going to have to rent or purchase them or have access to an FX or Fubo login.

Spider-Man: No Way Home Has Deleted Scene Featuring Iron Man's Daughter
By Richard Nebens   December 19, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/spider-man-no-way-home-iron-man-daughter-deleted-scene

In a recent Instagram post, Avengers: Endgame star Lexi Rabe shared that she filmed material as Morgan Stark that was cut from the final edit of Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures' Spider-Man: No Way Home.

While sharing images of herself alongside the No Way Home cast from the world premiere event in Los Angeles, California, Rabe stated that her part in the movie as Iron Man's daughter was cut:

"Ok here’s a teaser with all the photos. Will be posting them all soon. I absolutely love this movie- even though my part got cut- it was amazing to see everyone."

Rabe shared another caption in a pic of herself with MJ actress Zendaya, teasing that she hoped "to start filming again soon" for a future MCU project.

"Best night ever!! I don’t mind my part got cut. I missed my Marvel fam. This movie was amazing. Hope to start filming again soon!"

Edited by tv echo

Watched it this weekend. Really enjoyed it. There was laughter and cheering, it was a good experience. My audience cheered when Doc Ock showed up but not Electro. Sorry Jamie! Andrew got a bigger cheer than Tobey did. Really when he was walking towards the portal, even before he took off his mask, people were already cheering. We also cheered and applauded when all three Spideys made their plan to work together to get one bad guy at a time and they all went running and swinging off the scaffolding. 

I liked how they brought all these guys back but it wasn't just a 5 minute cameo. They were all heavily involved in the plot. Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina were terrific. Everyone was good, Tom brought all the feels during May's death. Andrew's reaction to saving MJ was so well done. 

My favorite scenes were the three Peters interacting. They played so well off each other. Liked when Ned called Peter and they all went "Yes. Yep, we're all Peter Parker." The hug between them at the end was great. I also loved Ned's grandma and her telling them they need to clean up all the spiderwebs.

Tom-Peter: "Not to brag, but I was in the Avengers"

Tobey-Peter: "That's great! What is that?"

Andrew-Peter: "Is that a band, are you in a band?"

I also liked the whole opening scene with Peter and MJ swinging around, freaking out, Ned calling Peter "Dude! Dude! Dude!" to May and Happy walking into Peter's room with him in his underwear with MJ. It was perfectly chaotic and fun.

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

Tom-Peter: "Not to brag, but I was in the Avengers"

Tobey-Peter: "That's great! What is that?"

Andrew-Peter: "Is that a band, are you in a band?"

Tobey's exasperated "How is this helping?" was also my favorite part. And, of course, the callback to "My back!"

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Dani said:

This would be much easier with a telepath to verify things (where's Prof. X when you need him) but there's nothing stopping Peter from knocking on Strange's door, or Happy's, in a pinch.  He does have enough knowledge to convince them he's not just some random kid. 

• Love 6

I’m one of those that despise how much people want to find out and pick apart spoilers way before this movie came out. I decided long ago I wasn’t going to dedicate a lot of time finding out anything about this movie. I had thoughts and heard things but I just moved on cause movies like this can really disappoint you if it’s not like the movie you built up in your mind. 

With that said, this movie delivered on everything I had wanted and what I knew about it. I was also in a theater that was very emotive. We cheered when we saw Matt Murdoch. When Andrew Garfield took off his mask people were ecstatic! He got the biggest cheer and applause but that might be cause when we saw him we KNEW tobey was next. There was almost an emotional collective intake of breath when we saw Tobey. I was 17 years old when the first Spider-Man came out. I’m now 37 and saw this movie with my 12 year old daughter. Seeing Tobey in the suit hit me in a way I didn’t expect. 

I liked how Tom was very much still the lead in this movie but Tobey and Andrew aren’t just here in service to Tom’s Peter Parker although they very much did. They played in so you knew they’ve been through things since we last saw them. They’ve learned things they want to instill in Peter. Plus I just really liked how well the three played off each other. This movie literally gave me every moment I wanted as it was happening. Especially that last hug goodbye between the three. I was begging for it when he was awkwardly thanking them and trying to leave so when he kind of lunged into them and they were all hugging and smiling…it just made me so happy, lol. 

Goes without saying, Andrew Garfield’s Peter saving this universes MJ was what we wanted to see and it delivered. Andrew delivered. You can tell he’s been carrying around this guilt and anger since we last saw him and how saving MJ in that moment might be the thing to give him his own peace. Andrew was an underrated Spider-Man and If we never see him in the suit again I’m glad this is the last image we have of him. 

Like I said, worst kept secret that still surprised the hell out of me, lol.

• Love 11
On 12/19/2021 at 1:50 AM, Chyromaniac said:

I’m glad that this film (and Venom 2) clearly show that the Sony films exist outside the MCU.  I do like the idea that maybe when Tom Hardy Venom gets to New York, that it’s Garfield’s Spider-Man that he meets up with. 

I'm curious about this, because Venom transported to the MCU unrelated to Strange's spell, but was still sent back to the Sony-verse when the spell was completed. Venom already existed in Tobey's universe, so it would be interesting to see if they picked up the Amazing universe again (even though it was a HOT mess, which I guess is fitting to merge with the Venom movies.) Andrew Garfield seemed so happy to be in the movie, I could definitely see him agreeing to more appearances, especially since Peter III was so bummed to not get to fight any aliens. 

• Love 2

I made a valiant effort to avoid spoilers, but it was inevitable that I heard the casting rumors, so I was worried that knowing some of what we were getting would make watching the movie less fun, but I am happy to say that wasn't the case at all. I am so glad that I got to see this in a big crowded theater, it really was a spectacle to behold, it reminded me of watching The Avengers for the first time, you just cant believe your seeing all of this on the big screen. This was a (pun intended) spectacular film, I am truly impressed at how well everything came together. It would have been so easy for this to become a bloated mess, with its many characters and subplots, basically serving as a sequel to three different franchises, but they actually managed to keep the story very focused with everyone getting screen time. I am especially impressed that they managed to not just use the former villains and Spider-Men as just cheap nostalgia fodder, they were actual characters with real stories and character growth, which is one of the reasons it didn't matter that I already pretty much knew they were coming. The shock of seeing Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield was a bit lost, but I still got to experience seeing them all together with Tom, bantering and fighting side by side, even giving them both closure from their own movies. I really did laugh, cry, gasp, and cheer, it was an absolute ride. 

I had a great audience, the theater was packed and everyone was really into it, it made for such a great experience. There were huge cheers for every returning characters, with Charlie Cox, Andrew, and Toby getting the biggest cheers, Toby getting the biggest. Everyone lost it laughing over Norman dropping the "You knw, I'm something of a scientist myself" line, cheered like crazy when Andrew Peter saved MJ, and there was a big cheer when Max wondered if there was a black Spider-Man" somewhere, you could hear people whispering "Miles!" and then people fully screamed when the Green Goblin stabbed Toby Peter. Its been so long since I was in a theater that was so filled and so invested, it made the movie even better. 

The whole cast was great, Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe especially both jumped right back into their roles like they never left them, I love that they had Norman break his Goblin mask right away to really give us the full Dafoe experience and that they finally let Otto finish his turn to the side of good, even getting to be the cavalry near the end. It was really interesting seeing so many characters from the previous movies here and how well they gelled with the MCU and its style. Everyone sounded very much like themselves even with the more snappy MCU dialogue, especially Toby and Andrew. All three Spider-Men had incredible chemistry, I could watch a whole movie of the three of them bantering and doing science together. I got pretty emotional when Andrew started tearing up after saving MJ, I may have actually yelled "closure" like a dweeb, that's how invested I was. I always thought that his Spider-Man was a good one and that it was too bad his story ended on a downer note, so seeing him finally find some peace was great to see. I grew up with Toby Peter, those were some of the first superhero movies that I really got into, so it was really cool seeing a more mature version of his Peter here, serving as a mentor to the other Peter's and having managed to apparently balance his personal life and his superhero life at last. I know that some people have accused him of being rather wooden as Peter, and he is certainly the most reserved of the Peter's, but his face when he was standing between Tom Peter and the Green Goblin was probably the acting height of the movie for him. So much said in that one look, I got major chills. And again, I really like how they followed up on their stories and how they both got second chances to right things they regret, with Andrew Peter getting to save MJ after being unable to save Gwen, and Toby Peter stopping Tom Peter from killing Norman, as he regrets letting Norman die in his universe. 

I should have known the second Aunt May dropped the "with great power" quote that she was doomed, but it was still so brutal to see. I'm torn on this one, because while I love May as a character and would have loved to keep her around, I can see why they killed her and why this was a part of Peter's journey. Its really interesting that they basically gave us Peter's origin in reverse here, letting us get to really know Peter and May before they give us what is basically his traditional l origin story, losing a parental figure after setting them on their moral path, which causes him terrible grief and guilt. We know that Peter lost his parents and uncle Ben, but seeing him lose May is so much more personal for us, having gotten to really know her. While all of the Spider-Men get great moments to shine, this is still very much Tom's movie, he really sold the crap out of every second of his grief and rage, while also being his happy sweet self at the beginning and towards the end. Its rough seeing him at such a low point, he really has lost everything, but he is still going to keep up the good fight. I really hope that things improve for him soon though, poor Peter in his sad apartment all alone is just too sad to stay the permanent status quo. Even in the comics, where nothing ever seems to go well for Peter, he usually still at least have Aunt May or MJ, and now he has nobody. 

This was definitely the darkest of the MCU Spider-Man movies, but it still had a lot of really hilarious bits. My favorites were probably Ned's reaction when Toby Peter was telling him his whole tragic past involving Harry, and May offering Otto either freshwater or saltwater. Because he's an octopus. Or possibly everyone's nonplussed reactions to how easy it is to turn people into metahumans, just drop into something and instant powers. "He was the sweetest guy before he fell into that tub of electric eels." "That'll do it." Or maybe it was the brief but memorable scene with Matt "I'm a really good lawyer" Murdock grabbing the brick getting thrown at the Parkers. 

I will need to think on it further, but right now I am riding the high of such a great experience.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

then people fully screamed when the Green Goblin stabbed Toby Peter

That was probably me and my theater. I remember when it happened thinking, this is it, they're going to kill off one of the Peters and it's Toby. When he was up at the end joking about being stabbed before and then the hug, I was so happy

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I can watch a two-hour movie where the Peters compare notes and banter all day.

God yes! That was the best part! Lol at Ned’s horror when Tobey told him about Harry. “I would never go evil and try to kill you!” Don’t worry, Ned, you are a way better friend than Harry ever was.

Man, they missed a real opportunity for MJ to throw shade at Mary Jane. I would have dearly loved that.

Nothing much else I can add that nobody else has already said. Loved everything except the end—so Peter always winds up the butt-monkey of Marvel in the end. But this time he really got fucked over, he has NOBODY. No May, MJ, Ned, or even Happy. It just really makes me mad because once again, everyone who messes with the multiverse who isn’t Steve Rogers has to wind up miserable.*** I hope the next movie can reunite him with MJ and Ned at least.

So all that hype about Venom was just a big tease just to get the symbiont piece in the MCU. Ha!

Best MCU movie I’ve seen in a while, next to Shang-Chi.

***For that reason it REALLY vexed me that they gave the Statue of Liberty Steve’s shield. So Peter and Goblin destroying it turned out to be a good thing lol.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, moonorchid said:

I was 17 years old when the first Spider-Man came out. I’m now 37 and saw this movie with my 12 year old daughter. Seeing Tobey in the suit hit me in a way I didn’t expect. 

Same. I did not expect to feel so emotional at seeing Tobey show up, especially since I absolutely expected it. But when he walked through the portal and when he suited up, I had some strong emotions about it. 

I really appreciated how much screen time Tobey and Andrew got. I expected them to show up for a brief conversation before the final battle and then leave again. I love that we got so many scenes and conversations with them, including a couple even without Tom. They really felt like side characters instead of cameos and I'm so glad the movie paid them that respect. 

My theater was fairly quiet, but that's not uncommon of Midwesterners of my area. I hit my husband sitting next to me when Matt Murdoch showed up. I told him before seeing the movie that they had to have already filmed something with him, likely this movie, for Feige to confirm Charlie Cox would return. There were a few gasps when the portal to Andrew Peter opened and a few of us realized right away that it wasn't Tom. Tobey got a bit more of a reaction, but I think more people recognized him immediately since he wasn't in costume when the portal to him opened. 

I've never actually seen the Andrew Spider-Man movies, but I got a little choked up when he saved MJ anyway. He played that scene so well. 

I'm really not sure where they go from here with Peter. It was strange to me that he was no longer in school. Did his school records get erased? And if so, then does he still have a birth certificate, SSN card, etc? I guess I'm still struggling with the decision to have everyone forget not that Peter=Spider-Man, but that Peter ever existed anywhere in their lives. It seems messy, and makes me a little worried for what they'll do going forward as this is a perfect clean slate for Sony. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Same. I did not expect to feel so emotional at seeing Tobey show up, especially since I absolutely expected it. But when he walked through the portal and when he suited up, I had some strong emotions about it. 

I really appreciated how much screen time Tobey and Andrew got. I expected them to show up for a brief conversation before the final battle and then leave again. I love that we got so many scenes and conversations with them, including a couple even without Tom. They really felt like side characters instead of cameos and I'm so glad the movie paid them that respect. 

My theater was fairly quiet, but that's not uncommon of Midwesterners of my area. I hit my husband sitting next to me when Matt Murdoch showed up. I told him before seeing the movie that they had to have already filmed something with him, likely this movie, for Feige to confirm Charlie Cox would return. There were a few gasps when the portal to Andrew Peter opened and a few of us realized right away that it wasn't Tom. Tobey got a bit more of a reaction, but I think more people recognized him immediately since he wasn't in costume when the portal to him opened. 

I've never actually seen the Andrew Spider-Man movies, but I got a little choked up when he saved MJ anyway. He played that scene so well. 

I'm really not sure where they go from here with Peter. It was strange to me that he was no longer in school. Did his school records get erased? And if so, then does he still have a birth certificate, SSN card, etc? I guess I'm still struggling with the decision to have everyone forget not that Peter=Spider-Man, but that Peter ever existed anywhere in their lives. It seems messy, and makes me a little worried for what they'll do going forward as this is a perfect clean slate for Sony. 

I smacked my son when Matt Murdoch appeared, and he was so mad at me. I think it's a normal involuntary excited reaction to the return of Daredevil. 

I think the clean slate thing makes sense for Peter because there's a lot of loose ends, and also he doesn't want to entangle himself with anyone. He still exists, but if he goes to school, it becomes a question of who his legal guardian is, why he has no connections to friends or family, etc. And then he also has to worry about befriending people and putting them back in harm's way. So the GED thing could easily be a self-isolation tactic, so he can rebuild his life without anyone asking any questions. 

• Love 5

They really went with the “leave you to protect you” route with the end of this movie and I’m not sure how I feel. If this is the end of the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies…it freaking sucks. But if it’s a transition then it makes perfect sense cause this would be the middle of his heroes journey. His journey into adulthood so to speak. 

Im not sure Tom Holland gets the credit he deserves for his Peter Parker. I’ve never read the comics so I respect the opinions of others when they compare TH to the comics but what Holland has continued to express through these movies is the optimism and naïveté of youth. The end of this movie, the death of May and removal of his entire support system, marks the end of his youth so to speak. I don’t like the idea of all Peter has now is Spider-Man but I imagine if/when we see him again it’ll be the start of his new journey to discovering who he is now. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

It was strange to me that he was no longer in school. Did his school records get erased? And if so, then does he still have a birth certificate, SSN card, etc?

I’m gonna headcanon that he wasn’t erased out of history and official records but he thought it would be awkward going back to senior year of a high school where he knew everyone and the teachers would even see on records that they’d taught him before, but no one would remember him. Better to just make a fresh start. (And similarly, I think he’d be in the previous yearbooks but no one would remember him.)

5 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

They really went with the “leave you to protect you” route with the end of this movie and I’m not sure how I feel.

Tobey’s Peter already did that in Spider-Man 2 and Kirsten’s MJ called him out on it at the end cause it shouldn’t have been his unilateral decision to cut ties.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, arc said:

I’m gonna headcanon that he wasn’t erased out of history and official records but he thought it would be awkward going back to senior year of a high school where he knew everyone and the teachers would even see on records that they’d taught him before, but no one would remember him. Better to just make a fresh start. (And similarly, I think he’d be in the previous yearbooks but no one would remember him.)

I will accept your head canon! I do wish Happy had remembered him as the kind of dorky nephew of May, just so he has someone to grieve with. Poor guy. 

• Love 1

Officially the second highest opening weekend ever. (Deadline)

MONDAY AM UPDATE: Sony has just made it official: their latest Marvel movie Spider-Man: No Way Home is the second highest opening ever at the domestic box office with $260M, beating Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War‘s $257.698M. Sony updated their international B.O., which takes the Tom Holland-Zendaya-Benedict Cumberbatch and greater ensemble to $340.8M abroad, yielding a $600.8M global debut, still the third highest ever behind Avengers: End Game ($1.22 billion) and Avengers: Infinity War ($640.5M).

• Useful 1