Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

Didn't months go by montage-style with the big revelation from JJJ, everyone getting hauled in for interrogations, criminal charges against Peter being dropped, and the whole college admissions process? I can easily see MJ and Ned bonding with each other throughout that.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Didn't months go by montage-style with the big revelation from JJJ, everyone getting hauled in for interrogations, criminal charges against Peter being dropped, and the whole college admissions process? I can easily see MJ and Ned bonding with each other throughout that.

Yes. Far From Home starts on the last day of school so the two week Europe trip is the very beginning of summer vacation so late June or early July. Peter’s identity is revealed, the interrogations and him being cleared happens before school starts again. They get rejected from MIT sometime after Halloween based on MJ being told to take down the decorations. So around 4-5 months for them to bond as a trio. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

Spider-Man: No Way Home screenwriters Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers were recently interviewed on The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith podcast, leading to the following media reports...

Why You Didn't See More Matt Murdock in Spider-Man: No Way Home
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - January 30, 2022 
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/spider-man-no-way-home-charlie-cox-cameo-screenwriters-explain-matt-murdock-daredevil/ 

In a new interview on the podcast The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith, McKenna and Sommers said there was "absolutely" talk of having Cox's horn-headed superhero make more than a cameo in his return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"That was the challenge with this movie: bringing all these other characters in," Sommers said. "We love these characters, and you would love to see them do all kinds of stuff, but the question is, what is there room for? I could watch any of these characters we brought in just do a whole other movie by themselves or in some various combination, but we have to, ultimately, service the story of our Peter Parker and our Spider-Man, no matter how tempting it is."
"We had so many ideas come up in the room of, 'Wouldn't it be cool if this guy does that, and these two meet and do that...?' There's just so many exciting permutations now that we're playing in this sandbox," Sommers said. "At the end of the day, there was only so much we could do. We didn't want to do things that would distract from the story of our Peter and our Spider-Man. So absolutely, once we knew we were gonna have Matt Murdock, it's like, 'He could do this, he could do that, that would be so cool, wouldn't that be great?'"

"But ultimately," Sommers added, "we always had to pull back on a lot of things to just make sure we maintained our focus." 

MCU Spider-Man Writers Confirm Abandoned Sinister Six Plan
By Russ Milheim    January 31, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-spider-man-sinister-six-abandoned-plans 

On The Q&A podcast with Jeff Goldsmith, Spider-Man: No Way Home writers Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers were asked if there were ever discussions about adding a sixth villain to the film so that there would be an official Sinister Six.

McKenna briefly commented, "I'm not sure," just before Sommers butted in with a more concrete answer about their Sinister consideration: "Yes, there was."
"Yes, there was. I mean yeah, there was definitely talk. Like, who's the Sinister Six here... you could always say that Venom was the sixth if you want. He's in the tag... but he never made it out of Mexico. There was always that talk of, should we be doing [the official six]? Again, though, I think what's so fun about working off the canon is that you can reinvent. And we know that people know the canon, but maybe everything doesn't line up. Maybe his past with Uncle Ben isn't what you think it was. Was Venom the sixth? Or was there someone else lurking? Who were some of those shapes [in the sky]?"

MCU Writers Address RDJ Iron Man's Potential Comeback
By Klein Felt    January 31, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-rdj-iron-man-potential-comeback 

Appearing on an episode of The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith, Spider-Man: No Way Home writer Chris McKenna broke down why Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark did not return during the Multiversal shenanigans found in the film. 
"Honestly, that's like a non-starter in the halls of Marvel, at least in our experience. They just don't really like constantly invoking... I mean, Tony cast such a large shadow even after Endgame, which we dealt with in Far From Home. But I think everyone felt like we can't just keep on going to the Tony well. And I think what we started realizing as we were writing this is that he wasn't the Uncle Ben. I mean, he was a father figure. There was a bond between them. In Endgame he even has a photo of Peter and it seems to be the final moral impetus to have him risk everything to try to reset the balance of the universe.
"But I think in writing this we started realizing that we had an opportunity here to tell a different story for Peter Parker that by the end of this movie, maybe, is a different origin story than everyone else has assumed up to this point. And I don't think having Tony there would have done anything. I think we start realizing that the moral impetus, the guide post of his life is May. And that for the first time he is tested about whether he can actually truly live up to this code that she's instilled in him. That is what this Peter Parker story is all about."

Edited by tv echo
12 hours ago, tv echo said:

Like, who's the Sinister Six here... you could always say that Venom was the sixth if you want.

Well in a meta sense, the sixth villain was Mysterio because even though he died in the previous movie, he's still manipulating the events of the NWH from the grave. Indeed, considering that NWH is about Saving the villains, not Defeating them, then Mysterio is the only real Big Bad of the movie. 

And he won. 

(edited)
I think the blu ray and dvd are supposed to come out in March or April...

As for streaming...
Lionsgate Execs Mostly Mum On Starz, STX Deals; Talk Series Vs Films On Streaming Platforms
By Jill Goldsmith    February 3, 2022 
https://deadline.com/2022/02/lionsgate-starz-stx-jon-feltheimer-jeff-hirsch-1234926354/ 

[Starz CEO Jeffrey Hirsch] said viewers gravitate towards the app more for original series, But “on the linear side, people are scrolling the channels and there are a lot more movies than original series.” A big film like Spider-Man: No Way Home, which will hit Starz sometime over the next six months, is a tremendous boost providing “you put the right shows and content around it so you can move customers that watch Spider-Man into one of your originals.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Tom Holland on ‘Uncharted’ and ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ Secrets
BY BRIAN DAVIDS   FEBRUARY 4, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/tom-holland-andrew-garfield-tobey-maguire-spider-man-no-way-home-1235086938/ 

I love the moment where Peter says, “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” to Peter 2 (Tobey Maguire) and Peter 3 (Andrew Garfield). He’s obviously saying thank you to those characters for their help and their wisdom, but I also read it as you, Tom, saying thank you to Tobey and Andrew for setting an example and paving the way for your era as Spider-Man. Was that in the back of your mind at all while you filmed that goodbye?
Yeah, that moment was actually inspired by something that actually happened. We were on set shooting the rooftop scene where I meet the boys for the first time, and before one of the takes … It must have been my close-up or something. It was one that really, really required me to bring the emotion to the shot. So I went up to the two boys on the level that they were standing, and I said to them, “Thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this. Thank you for being here. Thank you for elevating Spider-Man in the ways that you have. Thank you for being so gracious and allowing me to share this with you. Thank you for taking a leap of faith and coming back.” Tobey hadn’t acted in nearly 10 years, so we all embraced each other, and we were all crying because it meant so much to us. And Jon Watts, Amy Pascal and the writers saw this moment between the three of us and were like, “Brilliant! Well, now we know how they’re going to say goodbye to each other.” So essentially, we just reshot that very real moment between the three of us.

You weren’t kidding when you said that the film would be emotional, and that’s especially true when Peter says goodbye to MJ (Zendaya) and Ned (Jacob Batalon) not once but twice. Since the three of you are close off camera as well, were those scenes quite tough for everyone?
They were incredibly tough. They were incredibly tough for lots of different reasons. We all felt like we were saying goodbye to these characters that we had been playing for the last seven years because we’re uncertain about what the future of Spider-Man might be. So it felt like a goodbye. Obviously, it’s not a goodbye in real life because we’re all going to be connected as we are. But it was tough; it was really tough. And those emotional scenes are just difficult. When you make these big films, you don’t shoot scenes in a couple hours; you shoot them over a couple days. So when you commit to a crying scene, you’re crying for two days, flat out, and it’s tiring. But Jon Watts is a great director, he’s a very generous director, and he’s very understanding of the acting process. So he was fantastic. It’s funny, I actually got in trouble on the press tour. I got a phone call from some people at the studio, saying, “Stop saying the movie is brutal! Stop saying the movie is emotional! It doesn’t sell the movie!” And I was like, “But it is! This is the most emotional superhero movie that’s ever been made.” And they were like, “We want people to understand how fun it is.” And I was like, “It is fun, but it’s also kind of heartbreaking.” So I had to sort of change track on how I was promoting the movie, but I’m glad I gave at least some people some warning.

We’ve mostly heard about your time with Tobey and Andrew, but I haven’t heard much about your experience with Charlie Cox (Matt “Daredevil” Murdock). What was that day like on the apartment set?
Thank you for asking. No one has really asked about that. Working with Charlie was incredibly exciting. I was a big fan of the Daredevil series, and I think he’s a fantastic actor. He’s done a wonderful job with that character, and albeit it was a small cameo, it obviously teased the future of what could be. It was a real actors’ piece, that scene. We blocked the scene, which was essentially us just sitting there, and we read the lines. It was great. It felt like an actors’ workshop while working with people I really look up to, and Charlie was a lot of fun. It was really cool to see him snap back into a character that I am really a fan of and that he has a lot of love for, obviously. So it was pretty awesome, and I hope that one day we find a way for Spider-Man and Daredevil to team up again.

One of the most heartwarming aspects of No Way Home is the fact that Andrew is finally getting his due as Peter. Has the response to Andrew’s performance been a source of pride for you?
Without question. I could not be happier for him. Something I can look back on now with a little bit of clarity and regret is that I never called him when I took over as Spider-Man. Had someone said to me after my second movie that I was done and this other kid was taking over, I would’ve been heartbroken. So looking back, I wish I had the chance to make amends with him, but this film was our opportunity. It was not only an opportunity for him to make peace with the character and the studio, but it was also an opportunity for me and him to have this moment where we realize we could share this thing. The look on his face when he saves Zendaya [MJ] is totally genuine, and I’m really proud of him. I’m really chuffed that he got this opportunity to win back the world and for people to be reminded that his Spider-Man movies are fantastic and brilliant in their own right.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Finally saw it. Enjoyable. But the kids and I agree the ending sucked as he didn't keep his promise to tell Ned and MJ.

I have no issues that MJ isn't white. I actually prefer this MJ to the previous Dunst's MJ.  I found Dunst portrayed her as the helpless girl who needed saving. This MJ wanted to help and be involved.  I'm shocked that Zendaya got backlash but not Tony Revolori  who played Flash.  Kid played Flash to the T as a real dick who sees an opportunity but I couldn't with the blond hair. It just didn't do him any favours.  Sorry Tony.

The epic battle with all the villains vs all the Spidys was epic and lived up to the hype. I did enjoy Andrew's Spiderman performance (I never watched those films) as I skipped those after Toby's.  I may have to revisit them.

Question on the spell that Dr. Strange cast.  If he cast it the first time so Wong and others forgot the party at Kamar-Taj, and Strange remembered, then Strange should be the only one who remembers that Peter Parker is Spiderman.

One good thing about the spell is that Vulture has forgotten that Peter is Spiderman.

So Strange longer has the time stone yet the eye of Agamotto still hangs from his neck empty.

20 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Question on the spell that Dr. Strange cast.  If he cast it the first time so Wong and others forgot the party at Kamar-Taj, and Strange remembered, then Strange should be the only one who remembers that Peter Parker is Spiderman.

One good thing about the spell is that Vulture has forgotten that Peter is Spiderman.

I liked the honor even if he was a thief, thing that had going with Vulture. I do wonder if they will visit how Peter survives as basically like a spy or illegal immigrant assuming an identity? 

There still could be legal paper on an unremembered Peter Parker as there are sure to be many like him around NYC who lost all family/close friends in a snap and post blip as unseen collateral damage to the battle and crashes of unpiloted vehicles Since I don't have Disney + I can only guess by the commentary they really don't dive that deep in their miniseries. There being no reason to show that the heroes didn't fix everything in the MCU, since it would feel like the Nolan Batman films.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2
(edited)

INTERVIEW: Charlie Cox Talks ‘Kin’, First Series Since ‘Daredevil’
Written by Dan Cribb - February 7, 2022
https://www.supanova.com.au/interview-charlie-cox-talks-kin-first-series-since-daredevil/ 

This latest rounded of press for Kin follows the release of Spider-Man: No Way Home, unlike when he was first doing interviews for the show prior to the MCU release and was bombarded with questions about his rumoured appearance in the film.

“It was a nightmare,” he laughs, revealing that he hasn’t spoken much about it since the film came out and his return as Matt Murdock was confirmed.

“I don’t think I’ve done any interviews,” he adds. “I still don’t know what the rules are. Obviously, it’s now known that I’m in Spider-Man. So, yeah. But more than that, I don’t know, and the little I do know, I’m obviously not going to say. But the only thing I would say is that for a long time I was asked these questions and I genuinely had not heard anything.

“For years, I have been asked questions about returning as Daredevil, and the genuine truth was I 100% assumed that was gone, that ship had just sailed. I didn’t hear from any of the folks at Marvel for a couple of years. It does now look like I was lying for a long time, I actually wasn’t, I was only lying for a little bit of time. You still don’t want to spoil it for people.”

Without subjecting Cox to another “nightmare” by asking about other MCU rumours currently floating around, we did ask his hopes in regard to Matt Murdock/Daredevil moving forward.

“I mean look, I feel so lucky to have been cast in that role and it is the gift that keeps on giving,” he stresses. “I loved every single minute of making the show. And so, to be asked to come back and to be involved in any capacity is absolutely thrilling to me. And I hope, I don’t want to sound greedy, but I hope I get to do loads more. I hope I get to be involved way, way more for many years. I hope it never ends. I hope it gets to the point where people are like, ‘You are too old to be playing this part.’

“I don’t know what their plans are, but yes, my hope is that I get to do as much as I’m allowed to do, and to be involved. And it’d be really fun, the one thing that being in the MCU allows that we couldn’t really do with the Netflix stuff, is that I can now interact with other MCU characters. So, that would be really cool. Crossovers is the thing I would like to do next. I don’t know what that looks like, and I don’t know what they’re planning and all that kind of stuff. But there are some really interesting stories there that I’d love for the character to explore.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Andrew Garfield & Rachel Zegler | Actors on Actors - Full Conversation
Variety   Jan 31, 2022

Transcript of above video:
Andrew Garfield and Rachel Zegler - Actors on Actors (Full Conversation)
By Ramin Setoodeh    Jan 31, 2022
https://variety.com/video/andrew-garfield-rachel-zegler-actors-on-actors/

GARFIELD: There was a brotherhood that got created between Tobey [Maguire], Tom [Holland] and myself. And that’s healing. We were like, “Oh, my God, you find it hard to pee in the suit? I find it hard to pee in the suit!”
GARFIELD: The first scene that I was pitched, there’s a very emotional moment, a rescue that my character is a part of. That felt like the most kind of healing thing for my Peter Parker. Across universes being able to rescue the love of my younger brother in this other multidimensional universe. That felt quite profound. I was like, “Oh, well, that’s spooky destiny, ‘Sliding Doors’ stuff.”

The director, Jon Watts, is incredibly brilliant and smart and funny, but also has a really big heart. That’s what I find so moving about Tom’s films — they’re just full of goodness. And what he creates with Zendaya and with Jacob Batalon is pure love.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oscar nominations were announced yesterday (Feb. 8) - Spider-Man: No Way Home got a nom for Best Visual Effects...

Oscars: Full List of Nominations
BY KIMBERLY NORDYKE, HILARY LEWIS     FEBRUARY 8, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscar-nominations-2022-nominees-list-1235088770/ 

A host has not yet been named for the Academy Awards ceremony, which will take place on Sunday, March 27. The broadcast will air live at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on ABC.
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Dune (Paul Lambert, Tristan Myles, Brian Connor and
Gerd Nefzer)
Free Guy (Swen Gillberg, Bryan Grill, Nikos Kalaitzidis and
Dan Sudick)
No Time to Die (Charlie Noble, Joel Green, Jonathan Fawkner and Chris Corbould)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Christopher Townsend, Joe Farrell, Sean Noel Walker and Dan Oliver)
Spider-Man: No Way Home (Kelly Port, Chris Waegner, Scott Edelstein and Dan Sudick)

Edited by tv echo

Charlie Cox Spills All on That ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ Cameo and His Hopes for Daredevil’s Future
BY RYAN PARKER     FEBRUARY 11, 2022 6:30AM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/charlie-cox-spider-man-no-way-home-daredevil-1235090859/ 

“I felt pretty comfortable being able to fit into that scene,” Cox says of the moment that takes place in the Parker home, in which Murdock advises his new client Peter (Holland) that while his legal woes have been quashed, his trial in the court of public opinion is only heating up.

“I played the character almost every day for four years. I feel like his essence is deep within me now,” says Cox. “I didn’t worry too much about it, but I was still pretty nervous on the day, which I haven’t been for a while.”
Of course, Feige and No Way Home director Jon Watts knew Murdock’s return was going to elicit a massive response from audiences. And Watts shot the moment in anticipation of that ruckus reaction.

“Jon said, ‘I have built in this moment where we reveal you, and no one speaks for a few beats because the audience will have a big reaction,” Cox recalls, chuckling. “I was a bit embarrassed, like, ‘Are you sure?’ I was going with the flow, but thinking, ‘I hope it’s not a letdown.’ But I got a lot of texts from friends who were at the premiere or saw it opening weekend, who told me there was a cool vocal reaction when that scene came on. It’s a strange feeling, but I am so grateful.”

Also in the scene was Jon Favreau, playing Happy Hogan. And it was not lost on either Cox or the Iron Man director that he, too, had a Daredevil connection, playing Foggy Nelson in the 2003 film starring Ben Affleck as the superhero. The duo could not help themselves and tried to sneak in a tiny nod to that film, Cox reveals.

“I don’t think they used it, but we added a little Easter egg where he goes, ‘Yeah, I’m a little foggy on how that happened,’ or something,” Cox says. “That was a cool moment for me to meet him and chat about all that stuff.”

Once filming was complete, the next stage of the gig began for Cox: the subterfuge. Rumors were swirling around the movie almost immediately after it was announced, concerning who was going to drop by. And Cox found himself smack dab in the middle of that fandom storm. In interview after interview for his other projects, such as Kin, Cox did a tremendous job deflecting Spidey queries.

“I hate lying,” Cox says earnestly. “But I really don’t want to ruin it for anyone. My feeling is, if someone asks you, and you say, ‘I don’t know … We’ll have to wait and see.’ That gives it away! It’s obvious! No one is going to say that if you’re not in it. I am relieved it’s over.”

Still, he and good pal Andrew Garfield, who returned to play a version of Spider-Man, found themselves in a bit of a precarious situation when they met one day for lunch while they were both in Atlanta, their No Way Home production days overlapping. “While we were sitting down, it occurred to both of us, ‘Oh, shit. If we’re filmed here together, that’s not a good sign.’ So we ended up sitting, facing the wall, both of us,” Cox says, laughing.

Cox and his Daredevil co-star, Kingpin actor Vincent D’Onofrio have remained close friends in the years since the Netflix series ended. And during the series run, D’Onofrio told a nervous Cox, season after season, he was sure their time as the characters wasn’t over, even before the cancellation. As it happened, he was right, with D’Onofrio’s Kingpin introduced in the Disney+ series Hawkeye one day before No Way Home hit theaters. And with both their characters now officially in the MCU, the possibilities are thrilling — for the duo and fans.

“Look, I don’t have any idea what anyone’s plans are at this stage, but I presume there’s more for us to do,” Cox says, before confessing, “I know a little bit — not a huge amount — but a little bit. I am imagining, I am hoping, that our worlds will collide again because the stuff we’ve done in the past was tremendous fun to do, and he’s such an incredible actor. We have to start every conversation with, ‘What do you know?’ because you have to be careful. It’s really exciting.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Spider-Man: No Way Home Receives New Digital Release Date
By Richard Nebens    February 16, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/spider-man-no-way-home-digital-release-date 

The Microsoft Store revealed that Spider-Man: No Way Home will be available for digital home release at midnight on Tuesday, March 1, 2022. This date is one full day after when it was originally thought to be available for purchase on February 28.

The movie is available for 19.99 in three digital versions: SD, HD, and UHD.

Oscars: Twitter’s Top Fan-Voted Film Will Be Recognized During Broadcast (Exclusive)
BY J. CLARA CHAN     FEBRUARY 14, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/oscars-twitter-2022-1235092124/ 

Though the fan-favorite film selected by Twitter users won’t be a formal Oscars category, it will give eager fans the opportunity to weigh in with their opinions of 2021’s best films, especially if they didn’t receive a nomination by the Academy, paving the way for a snubbed hit like Spider-Man: No Way Home to potentially find its way into the ceremony.

Edited by tv echo

Marvel Boss Reacts to Spider-Man: No Way Home Beating Avatar
By Sam Hargrave    February 16, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-boss-spider-man-no-way-home-avatar 

Spider-Man: No Way Home recently beat out Avatar to become the third highest-grossing film of all-time in the United States as it crossed $760 million in box office revenue.

In a recent Instagram post, Marvel Studios president Victoria Alonso reacted to the record sharing her "[immense pride]" for the team as well as her gratitude towards the audience for their "love and support:"

"No caption needed. I’m immensely proud of the ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ team and forever grateful to the audience for the love and support."

US #1 is Star Wars: The Force Awakens and US #2 is Avengers: Endgame. However, Avatar remains global #1.

Edited by tv echo

Spider-Man: No Way Home's Online Release Date Just Got Delayed
By Richard Nebens    Feb 18, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/spider-man-no-way-home-online-home-release-date-delay 

However, with the digital release seemingly getting closer for Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures, there have been conflicting reports on what specific day fans can expect it to drop.

Starz is said to host the threequel sometime in August, and other reports indicated that the MCU's last 2021 film would be available for purchase by February 28. Now, yet another report is indicating yet another delay for No Way Home's in-home release, which pushes it even further away than previously expected once again.
The Microsoft Store app, as pointed out by Reddit user u/Gillzter10, revealed that the digital release of Spider-Man: No Way Home was delayed once again.

The film is now set to be available for digital purchase on Tuesday, March 22, 2022, at 12:01 am Pacific Standard Time. Included with the release will be the previously reported bonus features.

Edited by tv echo

Spider-Man: No Way Home Writers Reveal Spoilery Secrets | IGN Fan Fest 2022
IGN    Feb 19, 2022

With all of Spider-Man: No Way Home's surprises finally out in the open, IGN's Akeem Lawanson has a spoilerific conversation about the film with co-writers Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers.

Edited by tv echo

Spider-Man: No Way Home got 5 Critics Choice Super Awards nominations...

‘Spider-Man,’ ‘Shang-Chi’ Lead Critics Choice Super Awards Film Nominations
BY AARON COUCH   FEBRUARY 22, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/critics-choice-super-awards-2022-nominations-nominees-list-1235097398/ 

Find the complete list of nominees below. Winners will be announced March 17.
BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE
Black Widow
Eternals
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Spider-Man: No Way Home
The Suicide Squad
Zack Snyder’s Justice League

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPERHERO MOVIE
John Cena – The Suicide Squad
Idris Elba – The Suicide Squad
Andrew Garfield – Spider-Man: No Way Home
Tom Holland – Spider-Man: No Way Home
Tony Leung – Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Simu Liu – Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPERHERO MOVIE
Gal Gadot – Zack Snyder’s Justice League
Scarlett Johansson – Black Widow
Florence Pugh – Black Widow
Margot Robbie – The Suicide Squad
Michelle Yeoh – Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Zendaya – Spider-Man: No Way Home
BEST VILLAIN IN A MOVIE
Ben Affleck – The Last Duel
Willem Dafoe – Spider-Man: No Way Home
Idris Elba – The Harder They Fall
Tony Leung – Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Marina Mazepa (performer) & Ray Chase (voice) – Malignant
Tony Todd – Candyman

Edited by tv echo

It brings up an interesting point - what exactly happened to MJ and Ned immediately after Strange finished the spell?  Were they transported back home?  Did Strange do another mind wipe on two (to him) random teenagers?  Were they wondering why Spider-Man dragged them into a big fight? 

On 3/5/2022 at 1:33 PM, cambridgeguy said:

It brings up an interesting point - what exactly happened to MJ and Ned immediately after Strange finished the spell?  Were they transported back home?  Did Strange do another mind wipe on two (to him) random teenagers?  Were they wondering why Spider-Man dragged them into a big fight? 

I wonder about this, too, about how the spell really works. Like, people apparently remember Spider-Man, so they should remember stuff that Spider-Man has been involved in alongside them, like on the Europe trip for Ned and MJ, or the rest of the still living Avengers.

I found the ending kind of really depressing. Peter completely alone, literally no one in the world knowing him. He could at least have gone to Strange and explained things.

• Love 3
(edited)

SPIDER-MAN: No Way Home - Cast Audition Reactions
Sony Pictures Entertainment   Mar 15, 2022

Watch: Daredevil’s Deleted Scene In Spider-Man: No Way Home Revealed In Brief Clip
By Russ Milheim   March 15, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/spider-man-no-way-home-daredevil-deleted-scene-watch 

From the (still unreleased) bonus features of Spider-Man: No Way Home, via Twitter user @1989sliv, a brief clip of Charlie Cox’s cameo as Matt Murdock, aka Daredevil, has arrived online.

The three seconds only showcase Cox’s character sitting next to Jon Favreau's Happy Hogan in a modern conference room, likely discussing Peter’s case. Behind them, the film’s director, Jon Watts, can be seen at work on the scene that wasn't featured in the movie's final cut.

Spider-Man: No Way Home Deleted Dialogue Teases Tobey & Andrew Reunion
By Sam Hargrave   March 16, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/spider-man-no-way-home-tobey-andrew-reunion-deleted 

The official Spider-Man: No Way Home bonus features offered a new look behind-the-scenes of the production including an alternate take of Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield's final scene in the movie that would have teased their future return.
After Holland's Spider-Man gives his Multiverse counterparts - including a stab-wounded Maguire - a farewell hug, the final cut of the movie sees the MCU hero thank his fellow Peters before saying: "I guess I'll see you."
But in the alternate take found in the behind-the-scenes footage, two cut lines see Holland's Spider-Man imply he'll "see [them] later," before Garfield tells his MCU counterpart that he "[knows] where to find [them]:"

Holland's Spider-Man: "I'll see you later."

Garfield's Spider-Man: "You know where to find us."

Edited by tv echo

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - A Spectacular Spider-Journey
Sony Pictures Entertainment    Mar 16, 2022

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - Gag Reel
Sony Pictures Entertainment    Mar 16, 2022

(edited)

Spider-Man: No Way Home won 3 Critics Choice Super Awards - for Best Superhero Movie, Best Actor in a Superhero Movie (Andrew Garfield) and Best Villain in a Movie (Willem Dafoe)...

Winners Announced for the 2nd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards
March 17, 2022
http://criticschoice.com/2022/03/winners-announced-for-the-2nd-annual-critics-choice-super-awards/ 

(Los Angeles, CA – March 17, 2022) – The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the winners of the 2nd annual Critics Choice Super Awards, honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both movies and television, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action.
“Spider-Man: No Way Home” led the film winners this year, garnering three awards overall. The film was awarded Best Superhero Movie, while Andrew Garfield took the prize for Best Actor in a Superhero Movie, and Willem Dafoe won Best Villain in a Movie.
BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE
Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony)

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPERHERO MOVIE
Andrew Garfield – Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony)
BEST VILLAIN IN A MOVIE
Willem Dafoe – Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony)

Edited by tv echo

Watched it today on a day off with the family. It was a lot of fun and I really like thinking about how Tobey Spidey is still doing the super hero thing decades later.

Although my favourite part was when Octavius showed up and my 8 year old who loves Spider man started to whisper to my wife who he was. I stopped her and whispered to here that my wife and I saw Spider man 2 in theatres when we first started dating.

My other small take away is that Pepper Potts obviously sucks. Because why the hell is Peter even worrying the tiniest amount about paying for school of he gets into MIT? She couldn't hook him up with a Stark Foundation scholarship? For that matter she should have been an easy call when he got rejected considering her dead husband built them a damn holodeck. I will just have to imagine that after Tony died she turned Stark Industries into a lifestyle brand.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My other small take away is that Pepper Potts obviously sucks. Because why the hell is Peter even worrying the tiniest amount about paying for school of he gets into MIT? She couldn't hook him up with a Stark Foundation scholarship? For that matter she should have been an easy call when he got rejected considering her dead husband built them a damn holodeck. I will just have to imagine that after Tony died she turned Stark Industries into a lifestyle brand.

I was wondering why the heck she didn’t step in to help Happy and Peter and prove that Mysterio and his toadies all set up Stark Industries to take the fall. Stark Industries was just as much as Tony’s legacy as the Avengers, not to mention that she knew how much Peter meant to Tony. It’s completely OOC that she wouldn’t at least try to help Happy in watching out for him. 

I guess Steve wasn’t the only one in the MCU to leave his friends high and dry, huh?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was wondering why the heck she didn’t step in to help Happy and Peter and prove that Mysterio and his toadies all set up Stark Industries to take the fall. Stark Industries was just as much as Tony’s legacy as the Avengers, not to mention that she knew how much Peter meant to Tony. It’s completely OOC that she wouldn’t at least try to help Happy in watching out for him. 

I didn't even consider the fact that Mysterio and all his goons were disgruntled Stark employees. But yeah there were several times, pretty much until he went to see Strange where I kept thinking that a very small amount of effort from Pepper could make Peter's life way easier. Stark could pay his tuition or probably get him into MIT pretty easily. She could have spoke up to defend him (on Tony's behalf) when people were saying he was a murderer or set him up to live in some secure Stark location (rather than on Happy's couch).  I know Paltrow said she is done with Marvel, but it is annoying her character wasn't even mentioned. Although the equivalent name to Goop for a woman who's first and last names start with P is kind of funny.

Speaking of Stark though I did like how the mural of great scientists on the wall of Peter's school included the John Slattery version of Howard. And it was a bit out of focus but it may have also included Hank Pym.

• Love 4

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - The Amazing Peter #3
Sony Pictures Entertainment    Mar 18, 2022

How 'Spider-Man: No Way Home' Visual Effects Were Made | Vanity Fair
Vanity Fair    Mar 18, 2022

How they have destroyed Stark and Pepper is another reason I am kinda over the next generation of Marvel movies.  Of course Pepper would have taken care of all of them.  They had to destroy Tony and Pepper to keep the drama going; I’m not interested.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Pepper and Stark Industries may have played a role in the charges against Peter (and, no doubt, civil lawsuits over all the collateral damage of the previous movie) being dropped before anything went to trial, but they don't control public opinion. Particularly with Jameson constantly working to demonize him in the press. Maybe other stakeholders in the company regarded association with him as a threat to its value and tied her hands about helping him out directly?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/21/2021 at 9:32 AM, Spartan Girl said:

The MCU made me care more about golden trio Peter, MJ, and Ned more than I ever did about about the Peter/MJ/Harry triangle, which is why the end hurt so bad.

Man, Peter Parker has the saddest lives ever.

• Love 1

Ok I just saw this.. I know iI was late. 

I was completely spoiled.. saw 50% of the movie on the day clips were leaked to you tube. 

But the one thing that somehow didn't make it out to me was when Peter tells Dr. Strange of his plans to cast a spell where no one remembers him any longer... and Dr. Strange has this agast reaction basically saying "but then no one who loves you will remember you... we all won't...."

And you realize that Dr. Strange includes himself as someone who loves the little scamp...

That got me. 

• Love 13
19 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Pepper and Stark Industries may have played a role in the charges against Peter (and, no doubt, civil lawsuits over all the collateral damage of the previous movie) being dropped before anything went to trial, but they don't control public opinion. Particularly with Jameson constantly working to demonize him in the press. Maybe other stakeholders in the company regarded association with him as a threat to its value and tied her hands about helping him out directly?

It also speaks to the state of the world.  The two heroes with the highest public trust were Tony and Steve, and they could have ended things by giving Peter their endorsement.  Without them there's no one with a high enough approval rating to win over the people with just an enthusiastic thumbs up

That being said, in "reality" Pepper could have forced MIT (or any other college) to accept Peter/Ned/MJ with a charitable donation.  Buildings don't construct themselves.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

That being said, in "reality" Pepper could have forced MIT (or any other college) to accept Peter/Ned/MJ with a charitable donation.  Buildings don't construct themselves.

Would she even need a building? She could probably just call Dean Pelton and remind him of the holodeck thing from Civil War and all those scholarships Tony handed out. 

Also speaking of Stark Industries, was it just me or was the plot about Happy being investigated kind of dropped? The last thing was Matt Murdoch telling Happy that he needed a good lawyer, and then they never mentioned it again. Considering it could be a long time before we see Happy again, it was kind of weird.

Pepper could have fixed everything with MIT, but this is one of the suspensions of disbelief we have to employ with shared universe superheroes. Comics Peter doesn't tend to call in big favors from Tony Stark, or Mr Fantastic, or Captain America, barring major crossover event storylines. And esp not for his personal life stuff; he'll ask for professional favors for work stuff like dealing with Venom.

I did a freeze frame on the last shot of the movie, not including credits sequences, and in the extreme close up on Spidey's face, the facial expression mechanisms that change the shape of his mask's eyes are still there even if his new suit is more hand-sewn than Stark tech. Which is fine by me, it's too cool to let go just because it kinda doesn't make sense with the story of his new suit.

But did he get rid of that nanotech suit entirely? What a shame if so.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2022 at 4:52 AM, arc said:

Pepper could have fixed everything with MIT, but this is one of the suspensions of disbelief we have to employ with shared universe superheroes. Comics Peter doesn't tend to call in big favors from Tony Stark, or Mr Fantastic, or Captain America, barring major crossover event storylines. And esp not for his personal life stuff; he'll ask for professional favors for work stuff like dealing with Venom.

I did a freeze frame on the last shot of the movie, not including credits sequences, and in the extreme close up on Spidey's face, the facial expression mechanisms that change the shape of his mask's eyes are still there even if his new suit is more hand-sewn than Stark tech. Which is fine by me, it's too cool to let go just because it kinda doesn't make sense with the story of his new suit.

But did he get rid of that nanotech suit entirely? What a shame if so.

Pepper's easy to explain away. It's likely that she worked behind the scenes with the government to deal with extricating Peter and Stark Industries (and possibly Happy) from their Mysterio-related legal troubles but they just didn't bother to explain outright that she had interceded. Not to mention that the board of Stark Industries would also have been heavily involved, and this was too big and messy for her to handwave away for everyone even if she wasn't a single parent mourning the death of her husband at the same time. 

And with college, the timeline from MIT rejection to spell to multiversal explosion is something like, at most, 48 hours. Peter gets rejected, immediately goes to Doctor Strange, then goes right to the MIT lady on the bridge, then he's kind of busy with the villains and May's death. He didn't even know he could appeal to MIT and explain his case-he never would have thought to call pepper, and even if Pepper had been willing to help, by then Peter had already broken the world. 

• Love 2

I finally saw this movie. I have been wanting to see it but due to covid and life in general I hadn't. It is finally out on Amazon on-demand. 

First off, I loved it for the most part. I loved the use of the other movies characters (particularly the Spiderman's). I liked the scenes with them just talking. I loved Peter's (Tom Holland) asking Tony Mcguire where the webs come and if they only come out of his hands. It reminded me that he is only 17 (and apparently I have the maturity of one lol). But on a serious note the scene where they comfort him after Aunt May's death and the pay off at the end when they stop him from killing the green goblin in an act of revenge. 

The other villain's brought back are well done and I liked the scenes with them and how the movie reminded you that you could save them.

And then I liked the use of Ned and MJ. I always loved the scenes with them and Peter in the other movies as well. So I was very sad about the ending and didn't like it. I get that it was to show that Peter grew up or whatever. But I stand by the message in Harry Potter your friends and their love & friendship is always going to be your biggest strength. The scene at the end broke my heart and I really was hoping they would run after him or something. Maybe it would be like the Fantastic Beast movies where they remember him as it didn't work for some reason on them. I'm thinking this is possible due to Ned showing signs of being a sorcerer. Which I want to explore more of as he is one my favorite characters ;). I really hope they don't make the memory loss last at all for those two. 

Anyhow, besides the ending, it was a great movie. I laughed a lot and surprising wasn't that spoiled. Though I did know that a lot of the actors would reprise their roles and last week I accidently saw someone posted somewhere that Daredevil defended Spiderman. Luckily I didn't believe it lol. Also I was very confused by the end credit trailer as I haven't seen the second Venom. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 4

I hate to double post. But it has been bothering me since yesterday. They better not make Ned evil! I will be very pissed. One of (if not my favorite) thing these Tom Holland movies have is a good friend. He isn't jealous or evil, he just wants to be the "man in the chair". And I worried that they set him up to either turn evil, date MJ or both. I want none of this, I rather them pull a Fantastic Beast and have him somehow remember Peter. Maybe subconsciously he casted his own spell to remember his best friend. But as he isn't experienced so it takes some time but does work. This will allow this story to be explored (without him being evil) and keep the light fun tone of the other two movies. 

I do wonder if they wrote the terrible ending due to legal rights. Sony might not have rights to these two characters but I think they were original characters so Disney wouldn't own them either. I really wish they went the root of the three going to MIT and Peter does the whole "I'll quit while in school", only to get pulled back in by a street level villian (and with the help of the other two) stops them. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, blueray said:

I hate to double post. But it has been bothering me since yesterday. They better not make Ned evil! I will be very pissed. One of (if not my favorite) thing these Tom Holland movies have is a good friend. He isn't jealous or evil, he just wants to be the "man in the chair". And I worried that they set him up to either turn evil, date MJ or both. I want none of this, I rather them pull a Fantastic Beast and have him somehow remember Peter. Maybe subconsciously he casted his own spell to remember his best friend. But as he isn't experienced so it takes some time but does work. This will allow this story to be explored (without him being evil) and keep the light fun tone of the other two movies. 

I do wonder if they wrote the terrible ending due to legal rights. Sony might not have rights to these two characters but I think they were original characters so Disney wouldn't own them either.

Sony has the rights to Ned and MJ; while they're very different from the comics counterparts, they're still Spider-Man characters. I do think that they're hedging another potential rift between Sony and Disney by now having Spider-Man simple to lift right out of the MCU.

I too am worried that by not remembering Peter, Ned is now corruptible and 

Spoiler

could become the Hobgoblin, perhaps by magic powers gone awry

and it'd be extremely insulting to the character they've written across the past three movies to say that his friendship with Peter was the only thing that made him "good."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, dmeets said:

it'd be extremely insulting to the character they've written across the past three movies to say that his friendship with Peter was the only thing that made him "good."

I don't think that would be the implication of Ned going evil. But it would be certainly be as a result of Peter's actions.

Strange's spell was a large-scale brainwashing spell to erase Peter Parker from the collective consciousness. After May's death, the person who remembers Peter (not Spider-Man) is Ned. They grew up together. They were best friends, shared secrets and pivotal life experiences.

How could a brain-washing spell that erases large sections of Ned's memories not have an impact on him?

He has parts of his history, of what makes him him erased and replaced with things that make no sense. Why are he and MJ friends? When did that happen? How does he have magic? 

While it's sad to see Lovable Ned turn evil or evil-adjacent, it makes perfect sense in the ironic way that these stories go, that Peter's attempt to protect his friends by taking away their agency will instead do the opposite. 

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, blueray said:

And I worried that they set him up to either turn evil, date MJ or both.

I will find it more worrisome if the movies either don't explore this or they don't explain why it won't happen. In this new reality, Ned and MJ see themselves as best friends who have no one else. They find the opposite sex attractive. They plan to live together in MIT. If the topic of dating doesn't come up, it would say something very problematic about what we (the audience) are supposed to assume of Jacob's attractiveness. 

5 hours ago, dmeets said:

Sony has the rights to Ned and MJ; while they're very different from the comics counterparts, they're still Spider-Man characters. I do think that they're hedging another potential rift between Sony and Disney by now having Spider-Man simple to lift right out of the MCU.

It’s probably not that clear cut. Marvel can’t just take them but it is very possible that Sony would also be blocked from using these specific versions. I largely depends on what is in the contract. For example Marvel’s contract with Netflix blocked them from using their own characters for two years after the show’s were cancelled. 

16 minutes ago, ursula said:

I will find it more worrisome if the movies either don't explore this or they don't explain why it won't happen. In this new reality, Ned and MJ see themselves as best friends who have no one else. They find the opposite sex attractive. They plan to live together in MIT. If the topic of dating doesn't come up, it would say something very problematic about what we (the audience) are supposed to assume of Jacob's attractiveness. 

I disagree with this. Being two heterosexual individuals of the opposite sex in close proximity doesn’t mean the topic of dating has to come up. Just in terms of personality they are pretty incompatible. 

Edited by Guest
4 minutes ago, Dani said:

I disagree with this. Being two heterosexual individuals of the opposite sex in close proximity doesn’t mean the topic of dating has to come up. 

The question should come up, even if the answer is No. Anything else will be unfortunate implications. 

28 minutes ago, ursula said:

The question should come up, even if the answer is No. Anything else will be unfortunate implications. 

I think the idea that it has to come up also has unfortunate implications. Men and women can be friends without ever contemplating it as anything more. Why assume that them not being interested in each other means it has to be because of Jacob’s appearance? Particularly when MJ hasn’t been shown to be a character focused on romantic relationships.

I really don’t want to see a situation where one is attracted to the other and it is unreciprocated. If it comes up and the answer is no from both of them it really doesn’t say anything about Jacob’s appearance. When you consider that Ned had a girlfriend before Peter should put any implications about his appearance to bed. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I think the idea that it has to come up also has unfortunate implications.

Only if you take out intersectionality. Hollywood has spent decades depicting people that look like Ned as unattractive and sexless. There's nothing ground-breaking about yet again, assuming that a straight woman will not find him attractive. Or that he himself will - conveniently - not be romantically interested in her. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

If it comes up and the answer is no from both of them it really doesn’t say anything about Jacob’s appearance.

That's the point I made. That it can be brought up and dismissed.

And no, Ned's plot convenient love interest in FFH (that we never even saw kiss on screen) doesn't count. That was an idealised, completely unrealistic relationship that basically existed to keep Ned out of the plot so that Peter and MJ could get closer. The moment Peter needed Ned back full-time, the relationship ended. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I really don’t want to see a situation where one is attracted to the other and it is unreciprocated.

Would it be better if it wasn't unreciprocated? There's a lot of potential in a plot where Ned and MJ become romantically involved, because once their memories come back this will open a can of worms for all three of them. 

Edited by ursula