Type keyword(s) to search

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I do wish Happy had remembered him as the kind of dorky nephew of May, just so he has someone to grieve with. Poor guy. 

The previous request Peter made would have let him have his dual life. For whatever reason -- maybe that Strange is kinda bad at responsibly using magic, maybe just that this week made Peter the most infamous person in the world -- the ending spell just wiped everyone's memories of Peter Parker altogether.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, arc said:

The previous request Peter made would have let him have his dual life. For whatever reason -- maybe that Strange is kinda bad at responsibly using magic, maybe just that this week made Peter the most infamous person in the world -- the ending spell just wiped everyone's memories of Peter Parker altogether.

My confidence in Strange is always low. The orignial spell would have erased the knowledge that Peter was Spidey. Everyone who knew Peter would still know Peter.

They still could have him leaving school and living in that drab apartment because he essentially is now orphaned,

I hope that Peter gets his GED and gets to keep his previous school records including his internship iwth Stark Industries so he can get into college if not M.I.T. then Empire State University (which I guess is really NYU).

I wondered if he going to work for J Jonah Jameson by submitted videos of Spidey in action.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

I wondered if he going to work for J Jonah Jameson by submitted videos of Spidey in action.

That part of canon has always amused me. Peter working for Jameson is a subtle f-you: “Trash me in the media all you want, I’m still getting your money.” 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Saw the first and second Spiderman movies on USA channel over the weekend and once again felt they  were fantasic and have held up over the last 20 years. Tobey M. is the perfect Spiderman and Kerstin Dunst was perfect as MJ.  Looking forward to seeing this one though as so many have said it's the movie of the year.People were actually standing up cheering in the theatre , that's something I haven't seen in a long time.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, nilyank said:

I hope that Peter gets his GED and gets to keep his previous school records including his internship iwth Stark Industries so he can get into college if not M.I.T. then Empire State University (which I guess is really NYU).

It would be more practical for him to go to community college first.  He can't get any letters of recommendation from high school, so that rules out any reputable four year college.  Plus there's that whole money issue.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

It would be more practical for him to go to community college first.  He can't get any letters of recommendation from high school, so that rules out any reputable four year college.  Plus there's that whole money issue.

Not in my state's system, is real New York or the MCU version different?

26 minutes ago, Raja said:

Not in my state's system, is real New York or the MCU version different?

It depends. If "Empire State University" or whatever they call it in the MCU is the equivalent of NYU, absolutely he would need letters of recommendation, proof of test scores, and a boatload of scholarships, loans, or money. NYU is a private school. 

He could always go to CUNY/SUNY somewhere, but if the discussion is why he cant go to an MIT/NYU level school, he would absolutely need recommendations, extracurricular activities, all sorts of proof of a life that no longer exists. 

Much as I hate to admit it I think the movie missed a real opportunity in not having Kristen Dunst come along with Tobey Peter. It would have been nice to see an older and hopefully more mature Mary Jane actually be a team with Peter (the way she was in the comics) and help out MJ and Ned and not be reduced to the whiny damsel in distress that she was in the Raimi movies. But I guess the MCU MJ filled that quota enough.

The MCU made me care more about golden trio Peter, MJ, and Ned more than I ever did about about the Peter/MJ/Harry triangle, which is why the end hurt so bad.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, dmeets said:

Y'know, this probably all could have been avoided if Strange had thought to cast the spell so that everyone forgot Mysterio ever existed.

But wouldn’t that have meant everyone would remember Spider-Man was accused of killing his unmasker even if they couldn’t remember who that guy was?

1 hour ago, dmeets said:

Y'know, this probably all could have been avoided if Strange had thought to cast the spell so that everyone forgot Mysterio ever existed.

That's another thing why are so many people in New York so divided about Spidey and choosing to believe Mysterio. The little hero show that Mysterio concocted was in Europe. Meanwhile has Spidey been saving the day in NY (despite the 5 year blip). He was an Avenger and part of saving the lives of Billions.

Mysterio is not an Avenger. It sucks that Mysterio got his revenge with poor Peter alone in the world with no one knowing who he is.

• Love 6

I am kind of confused how the whole "everyone forgets you" thing, works. I mean, aren't there still records of him? Does he still have an ID? Wouldn't the ID shown him as being a relative of May? 

Also, I really hope that "heroes clean up their own mistakes" doesn't become a trend in the MCU. 

35 minutes ago, arc said:

But wouldn’t that have meant everyone would remember Spider-Man was accused of killing his unmasker even if they couldn’t remember who that guy was?

I was thinking that if they couldn't recollect Mysterio, nobody would remember him showing "proof" of Spider-Man killing him, or revealing Spider-Man's identity. The spell removed any newspapers or online reports of Spider-Man being Peter Parker, since JJJ is calling Spider-Man a coward for being anonymous, so I figure the same would have happened with Mysterio's video to JJJ.

While overthinking things, I think my brain short circuited a bit. I'm assuming Strange's final spell only affected MCU Peter. Otherwise, Andrew and especially Tobey are in for an unpleasant surprise if they get back and nobody knows who they are either. But then how did it solve the multiverse leak, when everyone coming in are people who know that any universe's Peter Parker is Spider-Man? Maybe Peter explained it but I didn't catch it if he did.

14 minutes ago, dmeets said:

But then how did it solve the multiverse leak, when everyone coming in are people who know that any universe's Peter Parker is Spider-Man? Maybe Peter explained it but I didn't catch it if he did.

Well, people like Ned and MJ and Michael Keaton's Vulture didn't start crossing over to the Raimiverse, because the spell started in the MCU, focused on this Peter.

• Useful 1

https://www.theringer.com/marvel-cinematic-universe/2021/12/21/22847703/spiderman-no-way-home-andrew-garfield-appreciation

[Andrew Garfield] emerges from No Way Home as the film’s MVP in a stacked cast of Oscar winners and bright young Marvel stars, elevating the overall impression of his superhero turn in the process. But the truth is Garfield has always been the best and most interesting actor to slip into Spidey’s red-and-blue spandex suit.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, dmeets said:

While overthinking things, I think my brain short circuited a bit. I'm assuming Strange's final spell only affected MCU Peter. Otherwise, Andrew and especially Tobey are in for an unpleasant surprise if they get back and nobody knows who they are either. But then how did it solve the multiverse leak, when everyone coming in are people who know that any universe's Peter Parker is Spider-Man? Maybe Peter explained it but I didn't catch it if he did.

Just before the spell got out of control Peter said that everyone who knew before should still know. That seems to have resulted in drawing everyone who ever knew Peter Parker is Spider-Man in any universe to MCU Peter. I guess the logic of the ending is that once all memory of MCU Peter was erased those people were being drawn to nothing. I really don’t think the logic works but that’s par for the course in superhero movies. 

It would be more logical if the spell erased the memory of every Peter Parker but I really doubt that was the intention. 

4 hours ago, arc said:

This movie really makes me said that Andrew was screwed by bad management at Sony and wasn’t given a better script. His Spider-Man movies could have been amazing. I’ve seen a lot of people pushing for his third movie to be made and/or for him to be Spidey in Sony’s spiderverse. I’d love to see that happen. 

Edited by Guest

I just saw it tonight, loved it and a lot to process but I remember thinking that I am going to put my money on J. Jameson being the big bad person because he is the same person in every universe so he must have some type of multiverse travel ability (for the record I am assuming for Amazing Spider man because I never saw those ones)

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, swanpride said:

Anyway does this movie mean that Sony got the Sinister Six idea out of their system? 

There's only so much that "out of their system" can mean when they have to produce something with the Spider-Man license every so often or else the license reverts. And I don't think a Spider-Man-less Sony Universe of Marvel Characters will remotely pay off. I guess Venom has been successful so far, but Morbius? Kraven???? Woof.

• Love 1

Well, Morbius has a full trailer and will be released soon. I think Kraven might not even have started shooting. I'm just very pessimistic about both their chances. They could be good movies, but I can't imagine they'll really ever feel like an essential connected universe when they're all originally comic book villains that orbit Spider-Man and Spider-Man himself is not in it.

• Love 1

Whatever happened to Blackcat and Silver Sable movie?

BTW if I think about it Sony has 3 Spider-verses, Tobey, Andrew and now the Tom Hardy/Venom universe, since it seems like Venom has no idea who Spider-Man is. Which begins the question how did Venom/Eddie (Hardy) jump to the MCU?

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ Writers Chris McKenna & Erik Sommers on Balancing the Multiverse – Exclusive Interview
by Andrew J. Salazar   December 20, 2021 
https://discussingfilm.net/2021/12/20/spider-man-no-way-home-writers-chris-mckenna-erik-sommers-on-balancing-the-multiverse-exclusive-interview/

Just from a screenwriter’s perspective, one of the biggest challenges with these type of crossovers is juggling screen time. And you’ve got a jam-packed cast with all these returning villains that everyone is dying to see again, how do you divide who gets the spotlight at what time ?
Erik Sommers:
Very carefully. Because, I mean, you want to give everyone their due, and just as a fan, you want to see those people as those characters and have fun with them. But at the end of the day, it’s a Spider-Man movie – you have to be telling the story of Peter Parker, and everything has to be in service of that. So there were a lot of painful decisions made, you know, we would have loved to have done this and that and “Oh, wouldn’t be great if these two villains could do this!” But it has to be in service of Peter’s journey, and you have to keep things moving. There were definitely a lot of what we call “little darlings” – little moments and things that you really just love – but sometimes you have to let them go

But I think you guys still have some fun with throwing in old lines and callbacks from the previous Spider-Man films for the fans. How did you decide which of these nods you were going to feature?
Erik Sommers:
I mean, it’s a balancing act because we love those previous movies, the Sam Raimi and Marc Webb ones, and we want to pay homage to them and make the fans happy. But you don’t want to just do lazy fan service for its own sake because it’ll ring false at some point. It’s a balancing act and at every point, again, you have to be thinking about the story. So if you really want to hear this villain say the line that he said in that other movie, you can’t let that drive you in terms of finding a moment for that. If you just go looking for that and you spend all this time, you’re going to end up writing some scene that maybe doesn’t even need to be in the movie.

You just have to keep focused on telling Peter Parker’s story, and then hope that you find opportunities for those moments in there. We were working with a lot of smart and talented people, and just poring over these moments again and again, crafting things and trying to find those moments where we could include that kind of stuff in a way that felt like it was organic. We weren’t just doing it for its own sake.

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME - Official "Behind The Scenes" Footage (New)
ClipMania01    Dec 21, 2021

Edited by tv echo
6 hours ago, arc said:

Well, Morbius has a full trailer and will be released soon. I think Kraven might not even have started shooting. I'm just very pessimistic about both their chances. They could be good movies, but I can't imagine they'll really ever feel like an essential connected universe when they're all originally comic book villains that orbit Spider-Man and Spider-Man himself is not in it.

Morbius first appeared in Spider-Man but his character has mostly existed independently of the Spider-Man character, appearing in other books.  

Keaton's Vulture is supposed to appear in Morbius, so maybe Sony still has plans for some kind of interconnectivity.

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Whatever happened to Blackcat and Silver Sable movie?

Pretty sure that was cancelled a couple years ago.

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

since it seems like Venom has no idea who Spider-Man is. Which begins the question how did Venom/Eddie (Hardy) jump to the MCU?

I haven’t watched the Venom movies, but apparently there was some justification that the symbiotes have a hive mind that spans the multiverse, so since Raimi’s Venom knew about Peter Parker, all Venoms across the multiverse did.

• Useful 1

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH
TOM HOLLAND: I love Benedict. It's always a pleasure to share the screen with him, so it's a lot of fun to do it again.
ZENDAYA: He's very sweet. Just a nice guy to be around. And also, was really cool. I actually have a picture of him skateboarding around the set. I just love seeing Doctor Strange skateboarding.

JON FAVREAU
TOM HOLLAND: Love Jon Favreau. He is the coolest guy.
ZENDAYA: The coolest. And so funny. Such great comedic timing.

CHARLIE COX
TOM HOLLAND: We had so much fun working with Charlie. It's really interesting doing a scene between two Super Heroes that has no real Super Hero stuff in it. Apart from the bit when he catches the brick. It was awesome.
ZENDAYA: I didn't get to be there.
TOM HOLLAND: You weren't there for that? Oh, you were there for that—
ZENDAYA: I was there for the behind-the-scenes watching you guys. But I didn't get to be in it.
TOM HOLLAND: But it was great. I loved working with Charlie.

ALFRED MOLINA
ZENDAYA: The coolest.
TOM HOLLAND: One of the funniest people I've ever met. Like he really makes—
ZENDAYA: You love, love Alfred.
TOM HOLLAND: Yeah, I had a really good time with Alfred.

WILLEM DAFOE
TOM HOLLAND: I've never worked with an actor who was able to give a director so many options. He has this one speech in the film where he's talking about Peter's kind of existential crisis. And he—
ZENDAYA: Scared the hell out of everyone, to be honest.
TOM HOLLAND: He must have done the scene 30 times and they were all different.
ZENDAYA: The coolest thing is that everyone's so lovely, and then they just play these very evil characters. He's so good at just like, just being lovely— you know, ‘Hey how are you?’ And then, [mimics Green Goblin voice,] like whoa.

TOBEY MAGUIRE
TOM HOLLAND: Tobey was so funny.
ZENDAYA: So cool.
TOM HOLLAND: We have so many little in-jokes that came up from working with Tobey. ‘Definitely not your dad.’
ZENDAYA: T-McG!
TOM HOLLAND: T-McG. Man, he was so funny. He was really excited to be back. You could tell it really meant a lot to him. Him putting the suit on again. Us getting back together. It was awesome.
ZENDAYA: That first day, I was nervous for you.
TOM HOLLAND: Yeah, I was stressed.
ZENDAYA: We had to do a rehearsal, and me and Jacob [Batalon] felt like your parents.
TOM HOLLAND: Dropping me off at school?
ZENDAYA: Like dropping you off at kindergarten for the first day. Like, ‘I hope the other kids like him.’ And like, ‘I hope he doesn't come back crying.’ And so we were just there, and I was taking pictures of you guys so that you could have it. It was so cute.
TOM HOLLAND: You have some amazing pictures of us.
ZENDAYA: I do, I do.  But yeah, he was so lovely and hilarious. Unintentionally, sometimes.
TOM HOLLAND: He's hilarious.

ANDREW GARFIELD
TOM HOLLAND: Andrew Garfield, the legend himself.  He's such a lovely guy. I think this film was his way of making peace with Spider-Man It was such a privilege to work with him. I know that it meant a lot to him.
ZENDAYA: It was so beautiful. [Tobey, Andrew, and Tom] care so deeply about the characters, and what their characters— what their journey had been as Spider-Man. It was so beautiful to see all of you guys connect on that and be able to talk to each other about such a special experience that very few people have been able to don the suit. It was great to see how much you guys all really cared and had each other's back. It was really sweet.
TOM HOLLAND: It's like a brotherhood.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

"Spider-Man: No Way Home" Behind the Scenes in Georgia
Georgia FMDE    Dec 22, 2021

New Spider-Man: No Way Home Merch Showcases Daredevil's Matt Murdock
By RIchard Nebens   Dec 24, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/spider-man-no-way-home-daredevil-matt-murdock-merch

Amazon listed a new piece of Spider-Man: No Way Home merchandise featuring Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock, which comes at a $22.99 USD price tag.

A1ntnF3PJOL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C81nxCQYr5

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Oscars: ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ Team Plans Best Picture Push, Tom Holland Open to Hosting (Exclusive)
BY SCOTT FEINBERG     DECEMBER 24, 2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/spider-man-no-way-home-oscars-best-film-push-1235067052/ 

“You can ask [Martin] Scorsese ‘Would you want to make a Marvel movie?’ But he doesn’t know what it’s like because he’s never made one,” asserts Tom Holland — who has played the title character in the three most recent Spider-Man films, having previously established himself in the 2012 Oscar-nominated film The Impossible — in reference to journalists’ and filmmakers’ often condescending attitude toward superhero films. “I’ve made Marvel movies and I’ve also made movies that have been in the conversation in the world of the Oscars, and the only difference, really, is one is much more expensive than the other. But the way I break down the character, the way the director etches out the arc of the story and characters — it’s all the same, just done on a different scale. So I do think they’re real art.”

The 25-year-old continues, “When you’re making these films, you know that good or bad, millions of people will see them, whereas when you’re making a small indie film, if it’s not very good no one will watch it, so it comes with different levels of pressure. I mean, you can also ask Benedict Cumberbatch or Robert Downey Jr. or Scarlett Johansson — people who have made the kinds of movies that are ‘Oscar-worthy’ and also made superhero movies — and they will tell you that they’re the same, just on a different scale. And there’s less Spandex in ‘Oscar movies.'”

Amy Pascal, an independent producer who was chair of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group when the studio acquired the rights to Spider-Man more than 20 years ago, and who has remained with the franchise since leaving that post in 2015, says, “Just because they’re a certain kind of genre doesn’t mean they’re not quality movies.” Pascal, who at Sony presided over the campaigns for eventual best picture Oscar nominees The Social Network, Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty, Captain Phillips and American Hustle, and subsequently produced best picture Oscar nominees The Post and Little Women, emphasizes, “We all got in this business to make movies that people want to see, that make people feel things, and I think this movie legitimately does that.”

Tom Rothman, who was a top executive at Fox when it released best picture Oscar winner Titanic and nominee Avatar, and who now holds Pascal’s former job at Sony, concurs. “Quality commerciality is really hard to do. No Way Home is superb filmmaking. And this is what the Academy needs to stay connected to.” He hastens to add, “I’m Mr. Fox Searchlight, right?” referring to the fact that in 1994 he founded that specialty division, which became known for art films that went on to Oscars, and served as its president for the next 18 years. “I love art films! I think it’s fabulous that art films are now recognized [at the Oscars] to the degree that they are — but not to the exclusion of quality commercial cinema.” He says half-jokingly about No Way Home, “We have to overcome, weirdly, the prejudice against the fact that it’s a big hit.”

Adds Kevin Feige, who worked on the first Spider-Man movie as a low-level executive and on the last three as the president of Marvel Studios, which also released Black Panther, “I think both of these types of films deserve recognition.” He hopes that Academy members will “think about the artistry that goes into storytelling that connects with a wide range of people on a very emotional level,” emphasizing, “It’s a good thing when people are in a theater and they stand up and cheer. It’s a good thing when people are wiping tears because they’re thinking back on their last 20 years of moviegoing and what it has meant to them. That, to me, is a very good thing — the sort of thing the Academy was founded, back in the day, to recognize.”
Rothman and Feige liken the franchise to one of the few others that was comparably successful with critics and audiences, The Lord of the Rings. Feige argues, “In the way The Return of the King [the third and final installment, which swept the Oscars] was sort of a celebration and culmination of all of that amazing work that had been done on that trilogy, this is a celebration both of our Homecoming trilogy [the three most recent installments] and of the five other incarnations of Spider-Man that had happened before.” Rothman adds, “Like the third Lord of the Rings, this is the conclusion of an epic series, and is quality commercial cinema. Black Panther was quality commercial cinema. It is essential that the Academy does not lose its connection with quality commercial cinema.”

That argument carries even greater weight at a time when movie theaters are facing numerous and, to some degree, related existential threats: day-and-date releases and the pandemic. Feige calls No Way Home  “a celebration of moviegoing in the theater,” emphasizing, “Spider-Man wasn’t on streaming and available at home. People had to get in their car and drive to a movie theater and watch this thing with other people. That, to me, is the magic of the movies. So this has been very, very meaningful for our industry.” Rothman feels the Academy should consider that: “This is a big picture on the big screen at a moment when the big screen experience is fighting for its life. This is a chance for the Academy to strike a blow for the big screen.”
Says Feige in parting, “Making a commercial film that can say something and mean something to a lot of different types of people around the globe is extremely difficult to do and, I think, is dismissed often as easy. ‘Well, you have a superhero in it, and that’s a cheat-code to success.’ It’s not. Putting on a costume is not the secret. The secret is having artists and storytellers and craftsmen that can bring an audience on a journey. And when critics recognize that and audiences recognize that, it feels like it’s worthy then to talk about the Academy recognizing it. And that, I think, is what we’ll continue to talk about over the next few weeks.”
... Some industry insiders have encouraged the Academy to beg and plead for Holland — perhaps with his No Way Home costar Zendaya and/or his Spider-Man predecessors Maguire and Garfield — to host the Oscars telecast on March 27.

We asked Holland, who has a background in singing and dancing, if he would be open to the idea, and his response was as follows: “Maybe in the future, but in all honesty I’m just too busy right now. I don’t have the time. I’ve got an Uncharted press tour to do, and then I start shooting in early March for this TV show [Apple TV+’s The Crowded Room] which is going to take up a lot of my time and is definitely the hardest role I’ve ever taken on. So maybe one day in the future. But no, not right now. Honestly, I just don’t have the time. And you know I would love to do that — I love that kind of thing, I love being put under pressure and doing things that I feel uncomfortable doing. So I’m interested in it, but I just don’t have the time.”

We hung up the phone, and then two minutes later Holland called back. “I just wanted to quickly backtrack on what I said. You asking me about the Oscars — you’re the first person to bring that up — and I’m sitting here going, ‘Of course I would host the fucking Oscars!’ I just went to the bathroom and I was looking at myself in the mirror and I was like, ‘What kind of fucking idiot wouldn’t host the Oscars?’ So yeah, if they ask me to, I would, and it would be very fun. I would really enjoy it.”

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I absolutely loved this movie!! Went back to see it a second time and found it just as enjoyable.  Seeing the three Spider-Men on screen gave me all the feels. 
Andrew-spider saving MJ *tears* and the look on his face afterwards. Maybe some of his darkness will go away. Would’ve been nice if at the end we saw Andrew-Peter meeting his MJ. 

When Toby-Spider took off his mask and we heard his theme while speaking to Doc Ock, they really hit the right tones. 

Poor Peter at the end, don’t see why they had to forget him all together versus just forgetting he’s Spider-Man. 

Would love to see the three on screen again. 

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 6

In the words of Ricky Ricardo, in the next film they're gonna have some real splainin to do.

They One More Dayed things, but even further, and frankly theyre going to have to explain how the pieces fit.

Nobody knows he is Spidey.  Check.

But also seemingly, all records of him in High School are gone.

But he's got ENOUGH of an identity to take a GED.

May is still dead (because this wasn't time travel) but Happy still knew her, still knew Spidey, but not who's under the mask, or his link to May, who seemingly is still linked to Spidey loosely through the Charity work.

It's clear what's being set up, even if those specific consequences need explaining a bit.

MJ is clearly out of the picture, and Ned, because they're in Boston and Peter is stuck in NY with, at best, a GED and/or a shakey false ID.  Really they should have just had him tell people his name was Ben Reilly, and he's hacked that identity, but can't produce a college acceptance,

I'm assuming with good cause I think that he will start to work for The Bugle to pay his bills and maybe keep an eye on JJJ.  I'm thinking his GED is enough for him to get into Community College locally and he meets a girl named Gwen Stacey there.  Possibly also a rich kid named Harry, but his last name won't be Osbourne.  

And clearly there are plans for the symbiote, although whether its through another person getting it or Peter himself is yet to be seen.

They actually COULD still Ben Reilly him, since MJ is the only person we heard him use the name Peter Parker with.  I understand we needed to hear him use that name with her so it was reinforced what was lost,  along with it being made clear he was breaking his promise and letting her go because she'd be living her best life at MIT and he couldn't, but they can remove that complication by going with the Ben Reilly idea going forward,  Making it clear it's the best he could kludge together to go to any kind of college, but also pay tribute to those stories.  "Peter" can return in some later part of the story.

Edited by SnarkShark
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

MJ is clearly out of the picture, and Ned, because they're in Boston

Sony probably won’t play ball on this and Zendaya might be too big a star for this, but Ned and MJ at MIT could conceivably make them classmates with Riri Williams, who’s got an upcoming Disney Plus show.

• Love 3

If they want Ned and MJ back then it's easy - set the next film during the summer.  Since they're elite science nerds it's easy enough to have one or both working at a location that's involved with the latest villain to grab Spidey's attention.  They can even have it be Stark Industries if Happy needs to be involved.

• Love 6
On 12/25/2021 at 1:43 PM, SnarkShark said:

In the words of Ricky Ricardo, in the next film they're gonna have some real splainin to do.

They One More Dayed things, but even further, and frankly theyre going to have to explain how the pieces fit.

Nobody knows he is Spidey.  Check.

But also seemingly, all records of him in High School are gone.

But he's got ENOUGH of an identity to take a GED.

May is still dead (because this wasn't time travel) but Happy still knew her, still knew Spidey, but not who's under the mask, or his link to May, who seemingly is still linked to Spidey loosely through the Charity work.

It's clear what's being set up, even if those specific consequences need explaining a bit.

MJ is clearly out of the picture, and Ned, because they're in Boston and Peter is stuck in NY with, at best, a GED and/or a shakey false ID.  Really they should have just had him tell people his name was Ben Reilly, and he's hacked that identity, but can't produce a college acceptance,

I'm assuming with good cause I think that he will start to work for The Bugle to pay his bills and maybe keep an eye on JJJ.  I'm thinking his GED is enough for him to get into Community College locally and he meets a girl named Gwen Stacey there.  Possibly also a rich kid named Harry, but his last name won't be Osbourne.  

And clearly there are plans for the symbiote, although whether its through another person getting it or Peter himself is yet to be seen.

They actually COULD still Ben Reilly him, since MJ is the only person we heard him use the name Peter Parker with.  I understand we needed to hear him use that name with her so it was reinforced what was lost,  along with it being made clear he was breaking his promise and letting her go because she'd be living her best life at MIT and he couldn't, but they can remove that complication by going with the Ben Reilly idea going forward,  Making it clear it's the best he could kludge together to go to any kind of college, but also pay tribute to those stories.  "Peter" can return in some later part of the story.

Why would all records be gone? Nobody remembers Peter Parker but who really looks at old records. Stark Industries might have the records of just another intern and an elite public high school has  their rare dropout. Perhaps one day someone looks at the first post Blip class records and notice Peter Parker just stopped attending after all the elite schools rejected his application and the Statue of Liberty battle,

But unlike an alien with an illegal entry or visa overstay who are able to black market green and social security cards and live Peter can very well be the hermit with valid papers who is in the big city as he attempts to rebuild his life.

• Love 1

It was a fun movie -- definitely a blockbuster popcorn movie.  At first I found myself irritated with it having the tone of a comedy.  It felt a bit silly a first, but as it went on I got into its groove.  The highlight was the Peter Parkers interacting with one another. 

Dr. Strange's spell to make everyone forget Peter Parker would be problematic -- much like Steve Rogers staying in the past with Peggy in the Avengers movie.  If the spell only erased memories and not physical evidence (or change time), then there are massive amounts of news reports from the last few weeks that document a person named Peter Parker is SpiderMan. 
Marvel will probably choose to just ignore any of that. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
On 12/27/2021 at 9:08 AM, Raja said:

Why would all records be gone? Nobody remembers Peter Parker but who really looks at old records. Stark Industries might have the records of just another intern and an elite public high school has  their rare dropout. Perhaps one day someone looks at the first post Blip class records and notice Peter Parker just stopped attending after all the elite schools rejected his application and the Statue of Liberty battle,

But unlike an alien with an illegal entry or visa overstay who are able to black market green and social security cards and live Peter can very well be the hermit with valid papers who is in the big city as he attempts to rebuild his life.

And yet they are.

Why else would he have to take a GED? 

36 minutes ago, SnarkShark said:

And yet they are.

Because he can't just enter class for his last semester to finish any state requirements

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

Because he has to support himself since he is orphaned and all alone in the world that he will be working (economically and as Spidey) rather than attending class full time. He is a smart kid that really doesn't need the GED prep book to pass and probably still has some dreams of eventually going to college.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, nilyank said:

Because he has to support himself since he is orphaned and all alone in the world that he will be working (economically and as Spidey) rather than attending class full time. He is a smart kid that really doesn't need the GED prep book to pass and probably still has some dreams of eventually going to college.

Exactly. "Peter Parker" exists, but he's an orphan with no connections to anyone. It's less complicated for him to drop out and get a GED over returning to school where no one remembers him. 

• Love 4

I'm hearing speculations that this was Ned's and MG's last appearances and I'm just wondering if the people that think that paid attention to the movie? Ned has magic powers that impressed Dr Strange and MJ has been confirmed as this world's MJ Watson. Their story with Peter is starting, not ending. 

1 hour ago, ursula said:

I'm hearing speculations that this was Ned's and MG's last appearances and I'm just wondering if the people that think that paid attention to the movie? Ned has magic powers that impressed Dr Strange and MJ has been confirmed as this world's MJ Watson. Their story with Peter is starting, not ending. 

It's the other thing, the Sony/Disney contract. I think Tom Holland has one more appearance in some other movie left.

2 hours ago, ursula said:

It's probably contracts, but also in combination with wanting to keep things fresh.

Ned's powers were mainly played for laughs.  They don't really fit in the MCU anywhere, at least linked back to anything in the comics.  Ned in the comics DOES have another fate, but that has nothing to do with magic, and actually doesn't even work in the MCU otherwise. 

MJ could work again, but the way they've set it up the complications are enormous.  

I think they at least want to try Peter struggling working for The Bugle, going to a local college (Empire State in the Comics is akin to NYU,but I think they'll downgrade it took being like PACE), meeting Gwen Stacy and some new analogue of Harry. Yes, thats all been done too, but not with this actor and I'm sure they're filled with ideas how to change it up.  Venom is an obvious villain, but I'm thinking Chameleon, Kingpin, Morbius (we know he's coming), Kraven The Hunter, Black Cat, a return of Vulture, Scorpion, Alistair Smythe and the Spider Slayer robots, are ALL still on the table, if they want to stay away from villains shown to be from other universes (Venom doesn't count since the symbiote migrated, and Morbius was only implied to be from another one).

3 hours ago, ursula said:

That’s just because of the rights issues. This movie set it up so they could go in any direction depending on how negotiations go. 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

It's the other thing, the Sony/Disney contract. I think Tom Holland has one more appearance in some other movie left.

He does not have any more appearances in his contract. He has said that the reports of one more MCU appearance was incorrect. 

2 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

Ned's powers were mainly played for laughs.  They don't really fit in the MCU anywhere, at least linked back to anything in the comics.  Ned in the comics DOES have another fate, but that has nothing to do with magic, and actually doesn't even work in the MCU otherwise. 

Ned's powers were pretty pivotal in the movie, so I disagree they were mainly played for laughs. There's a difference between Ned in general (his powers, his Lola) bringing the lighter side to the story that got pretty dark and heavy in other aspects, than his powers being insignificant. MCU's relationship with the comics have always been more "inspired by" than a set of rules. Ned may or may not become Peter's nemesis - Peter-Tobey's story about Harry could end up being darkly comedic foreshadowing. But they didn't just give Ned whole ass magic powers to write him off the show.

I agree/disagree on some of the other comic-archetype villains appearing. For example, Gwen Stacy is likely to play the function of Peter's first and failed romance when we already had Liz Allen play the same role sans death. Same reason why I wonder if Harry will make an appearance or they'll just integrate that role with MCU's Flash. On the other hand, I can definitely see potential for live action Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen. Disney and SONY would love to put those two cash-cows together in some form. They just need to iron out their rights and legal stuff, which they've managed to do so far.

I doubt we'll ever see live action Black Cat unless they find a way of reinventing the character. They might give MJ Black Cat-like powers, which would balance her out - Peter is a superhero, Ned is on his way to being one, so it's only fair that MJ gets her own powers. 

Edited by ursula
1 hour ago, ursula said:

But they didn't just give Ned whole ass magic powers to write him off the show.

I don’t think anyone thinks they want to write Ned and MJ off. Most are speculating that it was setup so they could separate Peter from his supporting cast if Sony and Disney don’t make a new deal. 

1 hour ago, ursula said:

Ned may or may not become Peter's nemesis - Peter-Tobey's story about Harry could end up being darkly comedic foreshadowing. But they didn't just give Ned whole ass magic powers to write him off the show.

No no no no NO. Do NOT put that evil into the universe. The one thing I liked about MCU Peter is that he had a best friend that didn’t suck! I’m already pissed off at too many sick moves from the MCU, turning Ned evil would be the last damn straw.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Dani said:

I don’t think anyone thinks they want to write Ned and MJ off. Most are speculating that it was setup so they could separate Peter from his supporting cast if Sony and Disney don’t make a new deal. 

I'm missing something.  Wouldn't Ned and MJ fall under the Sony Spider-verse ownership?  Maybe Michelle Jones Watson could count as a new character and, not a Spider-Man character since she's not Mary Jane Watson but, Ned is a Comic Spider-Man Character. 

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm missing something.  Wouldn't Ned and MJ fall under the Sony Spider-verse ownership?  Maybe Michelle Jones Watson could count as a new character and, not a Spider-Man character since she's not Mary Jane Watson but, Ned is a Comic Spider-Man Character. 

Yes, he is but no one knows the details of the contract. Marvel owns Daredevil and their deal with Netflix still prevented them from using the characters two years. Plus Ned is so different than his comic counterpart that the rights may be more complex. Are the changes enough to give Marvel some control over that particular version? 

Or Sony may want to have a clean break from the MCU and introduce Peter’s more normal circle from the comics. I just think the movie’s open ending combined with there being a lot of unknowns as far as the Marvel/Sony deal has led to a lot of speculation. No one really knows what is realistic. 

11 hours ago, Raja said:

The movie just made a billion dollars and change in less than two weeks in the middle of a global pandemic. Sony and Disney are going to back up however many dump trucks full of money are necessary to get him to sign on for more.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3