Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Ship Happens

• Start Topic

As the second charter comes to a close, Chef Mathew takes issue with a request. Courtney and Lexi bond over familial hardships, while the deckhands bond over their developing crushes.

Bravo Airdate: 07.26.2021

This season the episodes will be airing a week earlier on Peacock Premium.  You can comment on the episode once it is live there.  Anyone waiting for the Bravo airing, be aware there will be early comments on the episode - so don't enter if you don't want to be spoiled!

Seriously, what in the actual hell was that episode? For whatever reason I've been able to watch the episodes earlier On Demand on the Bravo channel and to be honest, I'm watching early because I keep waiting for something interesting to happen while simultaneously knowing it's going to suck. This episode may be one of the worst episodes I've ever seen throughout the entire run of all Below Decks ever.

I know we're allowed to talk about the episodes but i just wanted to say spoilers to follow:

First of all, Lexi can't get off my screen fast enough. She's an entitled disrespectful brat with no redeeming qualities. She just waltzes around expecting someone else to pay her bill for dinner, and while I can't stand Malia, Lexi had no right to talk to her the way she did. "Stand down"??? 

And Mat or whatever the chef's name is, he just quits in the middle of the night without at least telling Sandy? I can't stand her either but he should've at least talked to her instead of storming off breaking cameras or whatever he was doing. Unless he shows up the next morning I can't see him being offered a bunch of jobs after his stupid childish behavior.

Is it too much to want Captain Lee all the time? I wonder if Ben will be coming back? Also my sister-in-law, who doesn't watch but has seen bits and pieces, saw some of this episode and said "Where's Kate? She'd get them all in line." Gotta say I agree lol.

Why do I watch this show? 

• Love 20

I have a sneaky suspicion that they are gearing up for Malia's ex to come back as the chef to create some drama. They seemed to focus on her relationship status with him in the earlier episodes.

Also Lexi ......... woah ! If she is as well off as she states - why is she working on a boat ? She is just an arrogant brat. She thinks she is better than everyone else !

• Useful 4
  • Love 15

What a trainwreck.

Lexi is horrible. Spoiled brat squared.  Mom should ignore her calls.  I get she's upset about her dad, so what is she doing on a TV show?  Confine her to the cabins and laundry.  She has a hate list?  Yikes!

I don't blame Matt for being pissed.  He needs to learn how to put out a fire!  Just put a lid on it!

Lloyd is annoying.  He can dance off my screen any time.

This gang is not holding their liquor well.

David!  Stay away from Malia.  You should have watched her season.

Why do they have a 2nd and 3rd stew?  Make them equal so one doesn't think she can boss the other one around or is above some jobs.

Roy doesn't hold his liquor too well either.  I wonder if he really would have jumped overboard at a very bad time.

• Love 7
(edited)

This time when they did the tip meeting they showed $21,000 and $1750 on screen as the tip while Sandy stated $21k but gave the individual tip out in €s which seems to indicate last week was just an error in the number the chose to display and there aren’t hidden crew and Sandy isn’t skimming tips.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

Matt is a whining brat. Once again the little dick tries to get out of crew meals. Sandy should have been looking for (or quarantining) a replacement the entire time she was allowing him to continue and then “bam” tell him to go…Emeril style…and take pageant girl and her cockatiel bar outfit with him.

• Love 16
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Looked for S6E6 ... no luck ... anyone?

It doesn’t drop until a week before so will show up next Monday. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Lexi was executing her burn list on people who weren't even on it.

Her foobs keep popping out of her swimsuit and she has a massive chip on her shoulders.

Surprised her father isn't on her list for dying on her.

What a way to go through life.

Bravo casting has got it down to a science now, they know how to pick these volatile personalities.  They're not going to care the chef quit and busted up some stationary cams.  The crew scrambling for a new chef makes "good TV" in their eyes.  Two likely departures in the same week is a bonanza!

The last season of BD Sailing Yacht, the cast seemed obliged to go to the hot tub every night off.  Looks like they're doing something similar on this BDM season?  I think in previous seasons of BD shows, some cast went to the hot tub but not the whole crew.  Even after Lexi was cross at the dinner she joins everyone else in the tub, where they keep drinking?

Maybe it was communicated to them that they were all expected to get into swimsuits, especially the women in skimpy bikinis for Malia and Courtney and Lexi with the swimsuit which couldn't contain her foobs.  Katie and Malia put on a T-shirt and shorts after enough camera time ogling Malia's thonged ass -- not that we male viewer are complaining too much.

• Love 8

Mzi is growing on me,  when he talked about his mom dying when he was 3, it was so sad!  He seems like a good hearted person.  

I can't walt for this episode to drop live next week,  Lexi really got ugly tonight.  She managed to overshadow Mat's dramatic exit even.  

• Like 1
  • Love 20
(edited)

Replacing the chef has become a sort of Spinal Tap constantly replacing their drummer!

Below Deck brings back Roy Orbison Jr. and family, I didn't like them the first time but the kids are super cute.  Roy Jr. was drunk like brain damaged drunk and none of his party seemed like this was the first time, also, he should keep his shirt on, it is not good at all.

I am not hating Sandy or Malia yet, Malia is a good bosun, Sandy continues to dock the big boat in a tight space which is impressive.  

The guys are ok, no stand outs in looks or wit.

The girls are typical, no surprises not even Lexi's list, it is childish but that has become expected from the stews.

I'd like to see some beautiful scenery, amazing food and guests that make me want to Google them.

I have no idea how the spoiler thing came about and no idea how to get rid of it, no spoilers here, nothing to see.

Spoiler

Edited by Baltimore Betty
Spoiler thing, oops.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Below Deck brings back Roy Orbison Jr. and family, I didn't like them the first time but the kids are super cute.  Roy Jr. was drunk like brain damaged drunk and none of his party seemed like this was the first time, also, he should keep his shirt on, it is not good at all.

In both trips with Bravo, Roy Jr. has managed to embarrass himself, his wife, his fathers memory, and the music industry in general. He should try to curtail his drinking. He gets ugly when he pounds them down.

• Love 19
15 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

In both trips with Bravo, Roy Jr. has managed to embarrass himself, his wife, his fathers memory, and the music industry in general. He should try to curtail his drinking. He gets ugly when he pounds them down.

Orbison Junior is a disgusting pig. Obviously he can only afford these expensive yacht trips with Orbison's senior's royalty money. What a stain on Roy senior's legacy. "Pretty Woman" buys lotsa food and drink.

And one of his guests had to go to the stews to ask them to clean the bathroom because Orbison pissed everywhere but the toilet.

I am out of insult words. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

Orbison Junior is a disgusting pig. Obviously he can only afford these expensive yacht trips with Orbison's senior's royalty money. What a stain on Roy senior's legacy. "Pretty Woman" buys lotsa food and drink.

And one of his guests had to go to the stews to ask them to clean the bathroom because Orbison pissed everywhere but the toilet.

I am out of insult words. 

I think they encourage them to do the shows.

I doubt they'd go out of their way, fly to Croatia on their own dime, other than to be on the show.

After how embarrassing Roy was, does the wife and other family want to appear on the show with him again?

We shall see next year.

• Love 2

I've never been on a luxury yacht (and I would think the same of some of the folks on this show) so forgive my ignorance but is it norm to have one chef to cook for all the crew and all the guests?  If that's true, it's a bit ridiculous.  It's not like the crew and guests are eating the same and I would be annoyed at never getting a break, nor having back up.  

That said, Matt was absolutely, positively in the wrong to jump on his Huffy bike and pedal away without telling Sandy.  Sure, Sandy can be annoying and I still haven't forgiven her for Kiko, but she is his boss and if he's the only chef, that jeopardizes not only the next charter but potentially the season.  Not cool, Matt. 

I wonder if it was more the alcohol talking than anything else - although he did seem pretty pissed that he had to cook for the crew.  Does the chief stew not meet with the chef to go over guest preferences and what to order, etc.?  

Bravo, please stop with the mics in the bathroom.  Not necessary.

This was clearly the week for sloppy drunks, starting with Orbinson, Jr. and continuing on to Lexi.  At least O, Jr. left the boat.  Lexi can follow.  She's disgusting.  She takes mean girl to a whole new level.  When I'm taking Malia's side and almost feeling sorry for her, whoever is forcing me into Malia's corner has got to go.  What Lexi did to Lloyd is assault.  Period.  And from the previews, it looks like she hits Mzi, who has got to be one of the nicest people we've ever seen on BD.  I would assume under normal (i.e., non-reality tv) situations, that act will get her fired.  (Although telling your chief stew to F off seems like a fireable offense as well.) 

Katie continues to be an awesome chief stew. 

I am sorry for Courtney and the situation with her dad but her laugh is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Cringey.

OF COURSE both David and Lloyd "like" Malia.  They both immediately lose points from me for that alone.  Malia is not the be-all, end-all.  Frankly, that ugly tattoo would turn me away but I digress.  We don't need some phony love triangle from TPTB in order to showcase their little sweetheart.  

Marten is totally hot.

I thought the scene with the kids playing hide and seek on the boat was cute.

That's all I've got.  

• Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, aghst said:

I think they encourage them to do the shows.

I doubt they'd go out of their way, fly to Croatia on their own dime, other than to be on the show.

After how embarrassing Roy was, does the wife and other family want to appear on the show with him again?

We shall see next year.

Screw appearing on the show with him again, why would they want to live with him period? 

Do they encourage the crew to drink that much? Same with the smoking. It's if they only cast alcoholics who smoke. 

Is it wrong that I want to put Lexi and Mat on a life raft and see who comes out alive?

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

Well Mat didn't need to tell Sandy because he knew the real employers were Bravo so he addressed them a couple of times to the cameras, as he knocked out at least a couple of them.

Sandy didn't cast him, so he is talking directly to the ones who cast them.

The ones who knew he had the potential to melt down.

On other BD shows, we saw the crew helping the chef, like wash dishes, clean up the galley, even do some food prep.  They either didn't let them do that here or he antagonized the people who were mostly in the galley like Lexi, though she wasn't going to help him anyways -- she just got pissed because he didn't want to deal with her for that breakfast.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Screw appearing on the show with him again, why would they want to live with him period? 

Do they encourage the crew to drink that much? Same with the smoking. It's if they only cast alcoholics who smoke. 

Is it wrong that I want to put Lexi and Mat on a life raft and see who comes out alive?

Drinks are not cheap.  I bet the show pays for it.

At one point they said they each had to pay 300 Euros for dinner.  That's a LOT per person for dinner, even if they drank a lot of alcohol with the dinner.

Then later Malia mentioned 300 kuna.  Well 300 Kuna is approximately $47, while 300 Euros is like $360, so BIG difference.  Apparently Kuna is the main currency in Croatia but they also take Euro since they're near a lot of EU countries.

In any event, if they had to pay anything like 300 Euros for dinner, I would think some of the cast members would bail on these filmed dinners, because it would be eating into a huge portion of their tips.

But they go back to the ship and hit the hot tub, drinking some more but this time from the ship's supply, which no doubt Bravo is paying for.  They seem to be able to drink as much as they want so obviously the producers want the cast to be drunk and then have the kind of fights like Lexi wasn't instigating.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, aghst said:

Then later Malia mentioned 300 kuna.  Well 300 Kuna is approximately $47, while 300 Euros is like $360, so BIG difference.  Apparently Kuna is the main currency in Croatia but they also take Euro since they're near a lot of EU countries.

I am pretty sure it was kuna. The only person who mentioned euros was Lexi and she said “tell me how much I owe in euros,” so she was being her normal entitled self and wanting them to do the conversion for her.

Just now, biakbiak said:

lot of EU countries.

Croatia is part of the EU they just haven’t adopted the euro yet, I believe they are currently on track to adopt it in 2022.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Did Lexi ever pay for her dinner or did she just keep talking in circles about the bill hoping that someone would pay for her? I cannot abide people who wiggle out of paying their share of a group bill. 

• Love 18
(edited)
2 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Did Lexi ever pay for her dinner or did she just keep talking in circles about the bill hoping that someone would pay for her? I cannot abide people who wiggle out of paying their share of a group bill. 

I don’t know if she paid her back when they got back to the boat but Courtney paid for her at the restaurant (another reason that I am pretty sure it was 300 kuna and not euros).

I thought it was interesting that they were paying individually in the past on both the original and med Hannah and Kate picked up the checks with a card that I assume production paid for.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Wow I just caught this On Demand as well.

That Lexi is a piece of work.

I don’t see how they can keep her on.

I did think it was cute that Sandy was still playing Hide and Seek while all the screaming was going on!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

For me, that’s what everything boils down to with Sandy.  I want to like her but I can’t after she fired Kiko.

Did she really fire him or she was playing out the script?

Firing/leaving is now a common event in all BD shows.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 minutes ago, aghst said:

Did she really fire him or she was playing out the script?

Firing/leaving is now a common event in all BD shows.

Plenty of people don’t get fired. Her off the show antics and defense of what she did with both Kiko and Hannah is an indication to me that she is an asshole. It was more than just that they were fired it was literally how she did it. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17
On 7/20/2021 at 12:09 PM, aghst said:

Drinks are not cheap.  I bet the show pays for it.

At one point they said they each had to pay 300 Euros for dinner.  That's a LOT per person for dinner, even if they drank a lot of alcohol with the dinner.

In any event, if they had to pay anything like 300 Euros for dinner, I would think some of the cast members would bail on these filmed dinners, because it would be eating into a huge portion of their tips.

But they go back to the ship and hit the hot tub, drinking some more but this time from the ship's supply, which no doubt Bravo is paying for.  They seem to be able to drink as much as they want so obviously the producers want the cast to be drunk and then have the kind of fights like Lexi wasn't instigating.

How the eff does dinner come out to $360 per person?  What the eff did they eat/drink?  Most likely it was the drinking that jacked the bill up so high.  I wonder if they drinking expensive/rare bottles of wine/champagne.  No way in heck would I go out to a restaurant and piss away that much money when I'd have worked so hard on the yacht to earn it.  And real, non-TV yachties DO work hard.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Xebug67 said:

How the eff does dinner come out to $360 per person?  What the eff did they eat/drink?  Most likely it was the drinking that jacked the bill up so high.  I wonder if they drinking expensive/rare bottles of wine/champagne.  No way in heck would I go out to a restaurant and piss away that much money when I'd have worked so hard on the yacht to earn it.  And real, non-TV yachties DO work hard.

The only person who said euros was Lexi who didn’t see the bill and said “tell me how much I owe in euros,” after the number 300 was mentioned. Malia who handled the bill said it was kuna which means a little less than $50 a person which seems completely in line with what they got and the restaurant.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 7/20/2021 at 12:14 PM, biakbiak said:

I am pretty sure it was kuna. The only person who mentioned euros was Lexi and she said “tell me how much I owe in euros,” so she was being her normal entitled self and wanting them to do the conversion for her.

Croatia is part of the EU they just haven’t adopted the euro yet, I believe they are currently on track to adopt it in 2022.

That makes much more sense.  300 Kuna comes out to only $47.02.  No wonder Courtney wasn't worried about picking up the tab for Vexy Lexi.

That beyotch cannot even be gracious or grateful for Courtney doing that.  She has to make a stink in her talking heads about how though she's cheap, she pays her way (or something to that effect - paraphrasing here).

• Love 3

If they did a lot of drinking, $50 may be too low.

Well I haven't been to Croatia.  But someone orders a nice main, like a steak, and it's at least $30 and wine is now closer to $10 a glass than  $5 a glass.

But those are typical prices in Europe and that's kind of moderate priced places.  Could easily be double what they paid for a nice sit-down place.

• Love 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, aghst said:

Well I haven't been to Croatia

I have several times because it’s one of my favorite places on earth and it seems appropriate even when drinking to excess. Food and drink are cheaper than most of the EU. I’ve had meals at Michelin star restaurants in Croatia that didn’t break 100€ per person. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

God help me but I watched this episode again, though not paying as much attention as the first viewing, and I don't think I can recall any other yachtie that was ever as nasty a piece of work as Vexy Lexi is.  She truly has ZERO redeemable qualities.  She may actually be the world's worst ever human being, not just an awful reality TV cast member.

I can't even elicit any sympathy for the loss of her father, which is saying a lot, because any time I ever hear of anyone else's loss of a father or father having an illness, like Courtney's dad having Alzheimer's, I'm a pushover for pouring out sympathy for them.  Being the daddy's girl that I was, and my whole world crashing around me when he passed away in my early 20s, fathers are especially my soft spot.  Then within months after he passed my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's after she fell and fractured her hip.  After she was released from a live-in rehabilitation center for her hip injury, I moved her in with me and she lived with me for 7 years until she too passed away.  My dad died during my first semester of law school, and I tried to stick it out so as to graduate, but the double dose of parental illnesses overwhelmed me by the end of summer session and I had to come to the realization that I'd have to take a temporary leave of absence which ultimately became permanent.  I never went back.

I'm adopted.  My parents were in their early 50s when they got me through a private adoption vs. through the state.  I was spoiled rotten by my father.  Sadly they didn't prepare me very well for life without them, and I was devastated when my dad passed.  Thankfully I had the privilege of throwing a surprise 50th wedding anniversary during which I also had arranged for them to do a vow renewal/get remarried at the party before he passed away 3 months later on Christmas day.  Being as close to my parents as I always was, I wish I could feel sorry for Lexi to some degree for her loss but I just can't, and I feel like that makes me a shitty person, which honestly I'm not.  She's just such a horrific human being.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Xebug67 said:

God help me but I watched this episode again, though not paying as much attention as the first viewing, and I don't think I can recall any other yachtie that was ever as nasty a piece of work as Vexy Lexi is.  She truly has ZERO redeemable qualities.  She may actually be the world's worst ever human being, not just an awful reality TV cast member.

I can't even elicit any sympathy for the loss of her father, which is saying a lot, because any time I ever hear of anyone else's loss of a father or father having an illness, like Courtney's dad having Alzheimer's, I'm a pushover for pouring out sympathy for them.  Being the daddy's girl that I was, and my whole world crashing around me when he passed away in my early 20s, fathers are especially my soft spot.  Then within months after he passed my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's after she fell and fractured her hip.  After she was released from a live-in rehabilitation center for her hip injury, I moved her in with me and she lived with me for 7 years until she too passed away.  My dad died during my first semester of law school, and I tried to stick it out so as to graduate, but the double dose of parental illnesses overwhelmed me by the end of summer session and I had to come to the realization that I'd have to take a temporary leave of absence which ultimately became permanent.  I never went back.

I'm adopted.  My parents were in their early 50s when they got me through a private adoption vs. through the state.  I was spoiled rotten by my father.  Sadly they didn't prepare me very well for life without them, and I was devastated when my dad passed.  Thankfully I had the privilege of throwing a surprise 50th wedding anniversary during which I also had arranged for them to do a vow renewal/get remarried at the party before he passed away 3 months later on Christmas day.  Being as close to my parents as I always was, I wish I could feel sorry for Lexi to some degree for her loss but I just can't, and I feel like that makes me a shitty person, which honestly I'm not.  She's just such a horrific human being.

Your story is beyond moving, Xebug67. I'm so sorry for your losses and the pain you've endured. You were an excellent daughter, and I'm sure brought them joy and made them proud. Many hugs!

Lexi just seems so hateful, petty and entitled, over such insignificant matters, too. It's hard to look past that and see the actual person.

• Love 10

I believe I have heard multiple crew on WWHL mention the production pays for dinner (even tho chief stew etc pick up bill) with one or two drinks.  Any alcohol beyond the two paid for by production are on the cast members so the $47 bucks for drinks post dinner seems legit to me.  Lexi you need to Venmo Courtney.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Your story is beyond moving, Xebug67. I'm so sorry for your losses and the pain you've endured. You were an excellent daughter, and I'm sure brought them joy and made them proud. Many hugs!

Lexi just seems so hateful, petty and entitled, over such insignificant matters, too. It's hard to look past that and see the actual person.

Thank you for your very kind words, Whatamiwatching!  :~)

• Love 6

Lexi is horrible. She’s so arrogant but I think she’s actually super insecure despite her pageants and her alleged Miami condo. She showed up to the boat thinking everyone would be awestruck by her beauty and let her get away with everything. When they weren’t and didn’t, she went full psycho. 

I also sensed a little racial weirdness with her bowing up to Mzi and calling him an Afrikaans (some noun, can’t remember). Afrikaans is a language, and it’s spoken mostly by white South Africans, so I don’t even know what the hell she was trying to say. Did she mean he was a racial traitor for daring to be adopted by a white family? Or did she think it was some kind of derogatory term for “inferior” blacks who aren’t from the Bahamas? She’s very proud of that one undergraduate degree in (biology? physics? It changes every time she shrieks about it). Congrats, you lazy little snot. You earned one basic ass degree and you still know nothing. Get help.

Mat is normally the kind of person I’m not too fond of, but compared to Lexi, I still like him better even after he Packed His Knives and Went™️. At least he brought a meaningful skill to the boat, albeit inconsistently. Nobody would miss Lexi’s mediocre housekeeping and lamb pop fellating. Ooh girl, you so sexy when you suck down the charter guests’ food without permission. Tell me all about how you get off on respecting hierarchies. Mmm. 🤢

I wonder if the casting call for BDM actually specifies “recent dad trauma and/or sloppy chain smoker preferred.”

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20

During the massive fight at the jaccuzzi or at some point during the evening, I heard one of the crew members say "this happens every time."  Of course this happens every time.  Alcohol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
Spoiler

Not sure if WWHL stuff is spoiler or not but Malia said a couple interesting things. Said that she came to like Mat, which makes me think he’ll be back. And she said that Lexi is now engaged to a wealthy man, so mission accomplished for Lexi - though I pity her fiancée.

Mzi was worrying me with as many times he hit his head, both on the pavement and the multiple knocks on the boat. He’s such a kind, sweet guy, I hope nothing happens to wreck that impression as the season goes on. 

Kind of karma that Malia has to be wary about what her roommate might do. 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 7/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, Xebug67 said:

I’m so sorry you lost your mom and dad at such a young age. My dad passed in 2014 and I still think of him every day.  He spent the last 6 weeks in a nursing care facility because my mother didn’t want him home and he was on IV antibiotics.  My sister and I were desperately trying to relocate him or bring him home with one of us but we didn’t have time.  Seeing the conditions and treatment at the nursing home still hurts me and my parents had money for better or home care.  My point being that it was wonderful of you to take care of your mom.  I wish I had done that with my dad.

• Love 8