Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: ... been a perfect girl

• Start Topic

(edited)

The Devi/Dad scenes always make me cry. I wish we saw Sendhil more this season but I liked what we got. 

Kamala, what in the world did you do?

I can see why they are going with Devi and Paxton, but damn it if Ben’s gutted look in the end didn’t get to me. I like him with Aneesa but him and Devi sparkle together. 

Season three should be interesting with the never ending triangle, but more importantly with Devi and her mom, especially the freak out with her dating again. I hope this is addressed more next season.

I am happy this show is easily bingeable, but because it is so short it makes me want more. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 2
  • Love 12

From a birdseye perspective, what is more cruel: Devi accidentally starting a rumor about Aneesa without knowing it was actually true, or Ben being with Aneesa even though he  wants someone else and is annoyed by her lack of academic ambition?

I was a bit disappointed with Kamala. One comment from Prashant that does not align with her ambitions (and tbf her plan could've gone terribly wrong) and she ditches him for a guy she knows nothing about?

• Love 4

After watching this season I am still Team Ben. His looks of devastation just get to me. 

I can appreciate the development for Paxton this year but I still find him to be a douche. Blaming Devi for his accident and failing his test was eye rolling. 

• Like 1
  • Love 16

I think Ben actually likes Aneesa and seemed to be over Devi until he found out that he was her first choice. He seemed very bitter she ran after Paxton, and just assumed he was the first choice because he’s popular and hot. I’m sure Aneesa’s lack of academic ambition will get to him next season, but I think there are genuine feelings for Aneesa in there. Ben didn’t seem to be with her to get Devi jealous since he assumed she wouldn’t be jealous since she’s wanted Paxton from the beginning. 

• Like 1
  • Love 17
28 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I wonder if this is renewed, if there will be a time jump at any point. We’ve had two seasons that covered one semester of sophomore year. At this rate, the actor who plays Paxton will be in his 40s when his character graduates.😂

I mean, the man has bags under his eyes!  I just don't get what they were thinking with casting him.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I wonder if this is renewed, if there will be a time jump at any point. We’ve had two seasons that covered one semester of sophomore year. At this rate, the actor who plays Paxton will be in his 40s when his character graduates.😂

They need to start doing two seasons per year. Ten episodes released in the summer and ten released in the January doldrums seems perfect.

• Love 13

Loved this season! I binged!

I didn't realize as a 30 something woman how much I would love a teenage show among the cliche teenage angst and romance. But maybe because it's not just for teenagers but also explore adult relationships among the teenagers. 

Everyone had a story and was well developed among each other. It went deeper and more meaningful with the themes were season 1 left off.

And of course with the triangle, they are all really likable, both guys. I think Devi should have chosen herself and in the end she would choose at the end of the series who is best for her. I am TeamBen but I don't think Paxton is a bad guy, but they all have issues to work through and this is teenagers so of course they are very heart shape romantics!

But Ben at the end was sooooo angst! And I'm here for it! 

Season 3 please!

• Love 14

Time jump makes sense, even with the storyline because they can do some clips of Devi and Paxton dating then have the season start around the last month of sophomore year.  

• Love 4

I struggle with both boys. They have their moments of fantastic, and yet, at times, they treat Devi poorly. I was super over Ben, but damn if Jaren didn't reel me back in at the last moment.  Clearly, the shine is off his relationship with Aneesa. He too is making a mess in being with one girl, while having strong feelings for another. 

I actually like Paxton. He can be an insensitive douche who is overly worried about his social standing, but the time with his family and his single time with Devi pulls me in. And he's cute, but I'm 38 so we are awfully close in age...lol.

I like Devi's dress at the dance and her whole vibe. I really appreciate the details they weave into the show, like blending western wear with Indian pieces (earrings, necklaces, silk sari patterns, etc). I feel very seen. 

Oh, Kamala, girl. What IS you doing?! At home, they are freaking out and shame faced right now. I think Kamala is being rash, but maybe she just isn't feeling Preshant or is worried about not making the right decision. Mr. K is cute and kinda fun, so I get that she took the moment to be free. It's gonna be awk as hell when she goes home. 

I love any Devi/Mohan scenes. There is such a tenderness there that it makes me want to call my pops and tell him I love him. 

That said, Sedhil is gorgeous, and I was sad he wasn't on the show more. Like, who even looks like that?

Aaji continues to be a delight. I am happy she was added to the cast. She really brings that Indian matriarch vibe in the best ways. 

Good season! Matreyi is a real talent. She infuses Devi with fire and is so funny, but when Devi is hurting, you just feel it. She's a great little actress, man.  The actress who plays Nalini is also a standout. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18
14 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I mean, the man has bags under his eyes!  I just don't get what they were thinking with casting him.  

I understand why they don't hire actual high school kids to play teenagers but I don't understand why they hire anyone over the age of 25 to play teenagers.  I'm sure there are plenty of 18-21 year olds who can act well enough and are pretty.  It also bothers me that they have an 18 year old making out with a 30 year old.  Yuck  I realize it's acting but still. . . . .

• Love 7
(edited)

I think Kamala just flat out panicked. She has been consistent in not wanting to get married right away, and she has also been consistent in not wanting to make waves in the family. She just didn't know how to say what was on her mind until it was too late, so she bolted. Suddenly Devi is more of a good girl than Kamala! It's been a thing all along that Devi panics and behaves rashly in her own life situations, but is fairly cool headed when Kamala's mess is flaring. I kind of liked seeing that Kamala is starting to get to the breaking point in her own situations, and is starting to act a little more like Devi. I think it's funny, and actually fairly deft the way they set it up over time.

For both of them, it seems to hinge on not being able to speak up. So much of the chaos and destruction for Devi and now for Kamala happens when they swallow what is going on for them, don't tell their friends, and then explode.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
  • Love 15
(edited)
On 7/16/2021 at 12:30 PM, possibilities said:

I thought Ben had genuine interest in Aneesa, until she blew the "trial" presentation and didn't seem at all contrite about it. In that moment, I thought all the light went out of his eyes when he looked at her.

I'm still wondering if Aneesa blew the mock trial because she believed she was just Ben's second choice, but I don't know that we'll ever get that answer.

I appreciated Paxton explaining why he was hesitant to go public with Devi as his girlfriend. It was reasonable. I mean, if people look at him as a loser for dating the girl who 2-timed him and got his swimming scholarship arm broken, wouldn't that be humiliating for her too? But kudos for Paxton not pointing out that it wouldn't be good for Devi either --which I think Ben would have. Sometimes being super smart is not the most important thing. Being nice to and respecting your disabled sister, and having a good relationship with your parents and grandparents are good qualities in someone who you want to have a relationship with.

23 hours ago, DanaMB said:

23 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I mean, the man has bags under his eyes! 

LOL. And the forehead too.
He just needs a really expert Botox person who specializes in not paralyzing actors' faces.
Or maybe one of those chemical peels?
IDK.
He should find out who does Julianna Margulies. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, meatball77 said:

I understand why they don't hire actual high school kids to play teenagers but I don't understand why they hire anyone over the age of 25 to play teenagers.  I'm sure there are plenty of 18-21 year olds who can act well enough and are pretty.  It also bothers me that they have an 18 year old making out with a 30 year old.  Yuck  I realize it's acting but still. . . . .

I think the real issue is that the actress who plays Devi is a teenager.  If the whole cast were in their mid-twenties-30 years old, the show could probably get away with it because, even if they're older than they're supposed to be, they at least look like contemporaries.  But most of the main players are on the younger side of things. Then you have Paxton. 

• Love 10
On 7/16/2021 at 7:19 AM, backhometome said:

I can appreciate the development for Paxton this year but I still find him to be a douche. Blaming Devi for his accident and failing his test was eye rolling. 

This. So much this. I borderline hate him tbh and I just find that the actor looks SO old. The man has crow's feet for fuck's sake! I don't wanna see him kissing a 19 year old. But also, yes, he is kind of a dick and even if he made some strides this season, he was still a dick to Devi and I don't like that the show seemed to suggest that Devi was actually to blame for some of his problems. Hell, they even tried to blame his seemingly lovely parents for his personality. I feel like they don't make him take responsibility for himself.

I am all in on Ben/Devi. They have tons more chem to me and make much more sense. And I do think they're likely endgame. Either that or neither of them is. I can't imagine they see Paxton as endgame for Devi.

This season was great but I think season 1 was stronger. Still absolutely loves this season though.

This show is just so easy to watch. I think 10 eps is the perfect amount. But I do like the idea someone upthread had for them to do 2 seasons a year.

• Love 14
(edited)
On 7/16/2021 at 7:19 AM, backhometome said:

I can't argue that Paxton wasn't being a dick in those moments, but I see those as typical teen, immature reactions --even though the actor was 29 when the season was shot, and, yes, he has skin that is prone to wrinkles. Actually, Paxton blaming Devi for stuff that she is not really to blame for is very much like Devi being mad and Aneesa for becoming the girlfriend of Devi's ex who Devi never told Aneesa was her ex. Basically, Devi and Paxton deserve each other, LOL.

But Paxton also has life experiences like loving and respecting his developmentally disabled sister which are arguably more valuable than anything in Ben's realm of experience. I see Ben as damaged by the emotional and social distance of his parents.
And I have big issues with what Devi thinks of as "banter" with Ben. To me it sounds more like arguing, and a horrible foundation for a relationship.
Admittedly, both my parents' and sister's marriages lasted many decades with lots of bickering, but that is not what I want to see in my fictional fantasy where I get to redo my own adolescence and prelude to happily ever after.

And, actually, I am still hoping at the end of the last season Devi is not attached to either of them, or anyone else. 
Likewise, I hope Kamala does not get married when she clearly wants to focus instead on her career. 

But, for now, I am "on Team Paxton" for Devi. I would like to see them explore First True Love, and have an atypically friendly breakup, if they must.

Practically, since Devi was suspended, and we were told through her dialog that this means she will not get into Princeton, I could imagine a time jump for next season where Paxton and Devi are attending the local Cal State school as commuter students:

• Devi because her mom and grandma think its not appropriate for her to live without parental supervision, and
  • Paxton to not have to spend money on housing 

This 3rd season scenario could focus a lot on mid-semester and semester breaks when all the high school friends are back home and hanging out together.

Or it could just be their Junior year of HS.🙂

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

One comment from Prashant that does not align with her ambitions (and tbf her plan could've gone terribly wrong) and she ditches him for a guy she knows nothing about?

I've seen Prashant get some heat on blogs/recaps for his advice to Kamala but honestly, I didn't think it was so terrible or unrealistic. I work at an engineering/science-based university and there is a lot of sexism in the academic departments, particularly the labs. One way for women to survive is to pick their battles. I'm not surprised that the professor didn't want to get involved in the politics of the lab, nor was I surprised that Prashant advised her to stick it out, as her lab assignment was changing anyway. I've also learned the hard way that complaining to HR is not the solution that people may think it is. I'm glad that Kamala stood up for herself and that she'd found allies in her coworkers, but it could have gone another way.

Anyway, I think Kamala's reasons run deeper than that. I think she just isn't ready to get married, period. Or, maybe being in America has made her think twice about an arranged marriage?

• Love 15
(edited)

OK.  Finished the season!

On 7/17/2021 at 3:13 PM, shapeshifter said:

I appreciated Paxton explaining why he was hesitant to go public with Devi as his girlfriend. It was reasonable. I mean, if people look at him as a loser for dating the girl who 2-timed him and got his swimming scholarship arm broken, wouldn't that be humiliating for her too? But kudos for Paxton not pointing out that it wouldn't be good for Devi either --which I think Ben would have.

It was a reason but it wasn't reasonable, IMO.  Nor was it some sort of noble move to spare Devi embarrassment.  There's nothing in this that could embarrass her, especially after everything else that happened. Paxton's thought process is, and as always been, that Devi is of a lower social status at school.  That was always a challenge for him and he didn't know if dating "down" was worth it for him.  It became an even bigger deal when he found out she was also dating Ben, someone he sees as not as cool so, again, lower status.  And he blames her for getting hit by a car and never even tried to relieve her guilt by taking some ownership of the fact that he chose to stop in the street. 

Ben has his faults but I don't think Ben would tell her he's going to keep her hidden indefinitely because Ben sees her as an equal. He wouldn't be embarrassed to date her. That's a Paxton hangup. Even walking into the dance, Paxton sort of cringed.

We did learn more about Paxton this year but, if anything, it makes some of the choices he made less understandable.  The moments with his family were heartwarming but I'm not sure why he should get bonus points for loving his kick ass sister and the grandfather who got a license plate with his name in it.  Even his parents, who were critiqued for underestimating their son's academic potential, love him.  And in subsequent episodes we certainly saw why they might have doubts about Paxton's ability to get the grades he'd need to go to college. 

I've seen the Paxton archetype before and as a character I found easy to root for.  The one thing that made the popular jock rootworthy is his kindness to students of all different social statuses even if he was actually Tier 1.  Paxton isn't evil but he's still in his head about that kind of thing. It'll be interesting to see what happens next season because, as I said, even up to the last minute he displayed some discomfort. 

There's literally no reason we were given why he couldn't be this kind of guy.  He's loved by his family, an athlete, popular...etc.

1 hour ago, archer1267 said:

Anyway, I think Kamala's reasons run deeper than that. I think she just isn't ready to get married, period. Or, maybe being in America has made her think twice about an arranged marriage?

I think she was against it but then became "for" it once she met Prashant who seemed really cool with her choices.  But now that it's coming closer to an actual proposal, which she is not ready for, she isn't sure how to handle it.  She should have straight out asked Prashant what his plans were. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, archer1267 said:

I've seen Prashant get some heat on blogs/recaps for his advice to Kamala but honestly, I didn't think it was so terrible or unrealistic. I work at an engineering/science-based university and there is a lot of sexism in the academic departments, particularly the labs. One way for women to survive is to pick their battles. I'm not surprised that the professor didn't want to get involved in the politics of the lab, nor was I surprised that Prashant advised her to stick it out, as her lab assignment was changing anyway. I've also learned the hard way that complaining to HR is not the solution that people may think it is. I'm glad that Kamala stood up for herself and that she'd found allies in her coworkers, but it could have gone another way.

Totally agree with your view on the lab situation. And lets not forget that Prashant also encouraged Kamala to get in with the geeks to become part of the team - which is what made her sneaky dairy based plan possible in the first place.

I really wanted her to chose Prashant and show how aranged marriages can work in modern time. They were on the same page about taking it slow, and he didn't seem to have a problem with her career or any plans to move back to India.
Also, both actors are just so damn gorgeous. Yes, I am shallow.

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, Aulty said:

Totally agree with your view on the lab situation. And lets not forget that Prashant also encouraged Kamala to get in with the geeks to become part of the team - which is what made her sneaky dairy based plan possible in the first place.

I really wanted her to chose Prashant and show how aranged marriages can work in modern time. They were on the same page about taking it slow, and he didn't seem to have a problem with her career or any plans to move back to India.

I agree with this too, and have seen an arranged marriage work where the bride completed her advanced degree after the marriage and before having children. 
I wonder if this could still happen with Kamala, but running out on the proposal dinner seems like an irredeemable deal breaker in any culture. 

• Love 4

Hmm, maybe I'm in the minority but part of me thinks Paxton decided to "take a chance" with Devi after what the guidance counselor said about his grades improving. In a way, Devi is his meal ticket to a decent university if he can't get a free ride on a sports scholarship. He's comfortable around her in private but still cares more about his reputation in public and he wants that to carry over into graduation. Throughout the whole season, we've seen how insecure he is about his intelligence and while relying on his looks and popularity to hide his lack of ambition. I can't imagine he'd want to have a girlfriend who will outshine him at every turn like Devi would and they definitely won't end up at the same university, not to mention they have nothing in common. I honestly thought the shirtless table fixing scene would've been a "Eureka" moment for him to realise he could do a trade if college wasn't an option and that'd have been perfectly fine. Since he's a year ahead, I imagine once he gets into a good university, he'll revert back to his old ways since the ladies will flock to him and he's used to that and put Devi in the rearview mirror if they attempt a long distance relationship. 

I know I'm looking at it from an adult lens....but I really really really hope they don't pull the high school trope of having someone who was cheated on and now in a new relationship decides to cheat on his current gf with an ex that cheated on him (looking at you Ben).

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Eri said:

I honestly thought the shirtless table fixing scene would've been a "Eureka" moment for him to realise he could do a trade if college wasn't an option and that'd have been perfectly fine. 

I thought that was where it was going, too. I'm disappointed they didn't go the route with Paxton. Sometimes people just aren't good in school and/or aren't 'smart,' and that's fine. 

• Love 9
(edited)

This was a really fun season, and while I like that this show is a quick easy binge, I really ended this season wanting more! So much being set up for next season, I hope that it comes back soon again. I think that just about every major character got a solid story that worked well, and they all ended up coming together at the end in a way that gave us closure while also opening up a lot for next season. I think that almost everyone got better stories and were developed way more this season, which is what a good second season does. It expands on what happened in season one while adding new ideas and characters. 

This season has made me like Paxton a lot more, but I am still all in on Ben/Davi. They just work so much better together, have so much more in common, and I do think that Davi actually likes him more. She has obsessed about Paxton from afar for years, so of course she couldn't shake that perfect fantasy guy, which is probably why she ran after him after she got busted two timing both boys, even now that she actually knows him better as a person, while Ben is the person I think she is pulled towards more as a person, and not a fantasy. I also think that the shine is starting to go off of Ben's relationship with Aneesa. He did seem to really like her, but after she messed up on their mock trial project and didn't seem to be that bothered by it, she started to wonder if they were going to work. 

I hope that Kamala isn't totally throwing away her relationship with Prashant because he gave her one piece of advice she didn't like. Especially if she is thinking of leaving him for a guy she has met a total of two times in brief conversations. They should at least talk about it, and about their possible engagement, they have both always been upfront with each other about what they want in their relationship. I hope that this is less about Prashant and Mr. K and more about Kamala freaking out about the whole prospect of getting married. With her perspective in laws here, things just got too real and she ended up pulling a real Davi move by panicking and running for it. She might just not be ready for marriage. 

I loved Fabiola's story this season, I am really glad she realized that she can be herself while also being an out and proud queer woman, and that Eve finally just straight up told her that she likes her for just who she is. Robots and and bulky pants and lack of pop culture knowledge and all. There is no right or wrong way to be a queer woman, you just have to be who you are. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 12
On 7/18/2021 at 11:09 PM, Irlandesa said:

Ben has his faults but I don't think Ben would tell her he's going to keep her hidden indefinitely because Ben sees her as an equal. He wouldn't be embarrassed to date her. That's a Paxton hangup. Even walking into the dance, Paxton sort of cringed.

Great points.

• Love 3

I really like this show but I think Ben has a face I want to punch. And Paxton looks like James Franco to me. Also someone I want to punch for other reasons.

Neither are appealing, so just because of that, I hope the show ends with her abandoning her boyfriend obsessions.

I love Kamala. I'm not in STEM but in Social Sciences but I know enough women who have to deal with this crediting crap on a regular basis.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I really like this show but I think Ben has a face I want to punch. And Paxton looks like James Franco to me. Also someone I want to punch for other reasons.

Neither are appealing, so just because of that, I hope the show ends with her abandoning her boyfriend obsessions.

I love Kamala. I'm not in STEM but in Social Sciences but I know enough women who have to deal with this crediting crap on a regular basis.

And I just want to marry this post^^ LOL.

• LOL 1

This is random but does anyone think Ben character is based on BJ Novak.His real name is Benjamin Joesph.BJ and Ben are both Jewish.BJ father was a ghostwriter for celebrities.Ben father is a lawyer for celebrities.BJ went to Harvard.Ben is interested in ivy league colleges.

It must be the soap opera fan in me but I'm team ben love the whole enemies to lovers trope plus I have like Ben and  devi are more angsty and I'm a sucker for angst lol.

• Love 5

On 7/16/2021 at 9:59 AM, twoods said:

I think Ben actually likes Aneesa and seemed to be over Devi until he found out that he was her first choice. He seemed very bitter she ran after Paxton, and just assumed he was the first choice because he’s popular and hot. I’m sure Aneesa’s lack of academic ambition will get to him next season, but I think there are genuine feelings for Aneesa in there. Ben didn’t seem to be with her to get Devi jealous since he assumed she wouldn’t be jealous since she’s wanted Paxton from the beginning. 

Yes, Ben seemed to genuinely like Aneesa (before realizing her lack of academic ambition) but also had feelings for Devi. It happens a lot in high school and even in adulthood, so I guess that makes it 

On 7/16/2021 at 5:12 PM, Snapdragon said:

I thought I was the only person who noticed the bags, wrinkles! I realize that the actress playing Devi is closer to her character's age. But the actor playing Paxton looks much older. There are plenty of actors his age who don't have wrinkles or bags under their eyes so it's not his age; I just don't think he was the best choice for this role. I have no issue with the actor and I'd watch him in another show or movie but I am not liking the romantic scenes between him and Devi. 

It's like we're supposed to be sexually attracted to Paxton yet believe he's 16. Neither is believable to me. I look at Paxton and he seems like an average-looking, small-framed, ~35-year-old with wrinkles and bags under his eyes, who is but too old to be kissing Devi. Again, not talking about the actors' real ages, just what it looks like to me.

I don't like the shirtless scenes either. It makes me wonder if that's why the show went with an older-looking actor: it's not cool or comfortable to cast an actual 16-year old in that light.

I know the character is supposed to be a heartthrob and I accept that shows tell us who's who. For example: this one's cool, that one's a geek, he's a heartthrob, she's the most popular girl in school, etc., and that doesn't necessarily match up with how the actors seem to viewers.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:42 AM, TrininisaScorp said:

Oh, Kamala, girl. What IS you doing?! At home, they are freaking out and shame faced right now. I think Kamala is being rash, but maybe she just isn't feeling Prashant or is worried about not making the right decision. Mr. K is cute and kinda fun, so I get that she took the moment to be free. It's gonna be awk as hell when she goes home. 

I don't think Kamala is choosing Mr. K over Prashant. I think she's not ready to get married so she's choosing a fun evening with a fun date over a proposal dinner she's not ready for. 

On 7/17/2021 at 8:02 AM, meatball77 said:

I understand why they don't hire actual high school kids to play teenagers but I don't understand why they hire anyone over the age of 25 to play teenagers.  I'm sure there are plenty of 18-21 year-olds who can act well enough and are pretty.  It also bothers me that they have an 18-year old making out with a 30 year old.  Yuck  I realize it's acting but still. . . . .

Yep, it bothers me that a teenager is kissing someone who looks to be well over 30. 

On 7/17/2021 at 4:13 PM, shapeshifter said:

I'm still wondering if Aneesa blew the mock trial because she believed she was just Ben's second choice, but I don't know that we'll ever get that answer.

I appreciated Paxton explaining why he was hesitant to go public with Devi as his girlfriend. It was reasonable. I mean, if people look at him as a loser for dating the girl who 2-timed him and got his swimming scholarship arm broken, wouldn't that be humiliating for her too? But kudos for Paxton not pointing out that it wouldn't be good for Devi either --which I think Ben would have. Sometimes being super smart is not the most important thing. Being nice to and respecting your disabled sister, and having a good relationship with your parents and grandparents are good qualities in someone who you want to have a relationship with.

LOL. And the forehead too.
He just needs a really expert Botox person who specializes in not paralyzing actors' faces.
Or maybe one of those chemical peels?
IDK.
He should find out who does Julianna Margulies. 

I really think Aneesa blew the mock trial just because. Will there be another season? I'd like to see where this goes. 

I completely understand why Paxton didn't want to go public and I wish Devi would just be single but I know she's 15 and wants a boyfriend. I don't get how Paxton is so good-looking and Devi isn't but I'll suspend disbelief for the show. 

Just like I'll handwave Paxton's forehead wrinkles. 

On 7/17/2021 at 4:23 PM, Irlandesa said:

I think the real issue is that the actress who plays Devi is a teenager.  If the whole cast were in their mid-twenties-30 years old, the show could probably get away with it because, even if they're older than they're supposed to be, they at least look like contemporaries.  But most of the main players are on the younger side of things. Then you have Paxton. 

I honestly think the real issue is that the actor who plays Paxton looks older than he is. There are plenty of actors that age who don't have crow's feet, wrinkles, or undereye bags.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:52 PM, archer1267 said:

I don't have an issue with Prashant at all. I think his advice to Kamala came from a real, empathetic place. It may just be that he's not the type to challenge authority. 

Kamala is on a different mission that doesn't include arranged marriage. No telling whether she and Mr. K will hit it off but it's a chance to unwind and have fun. Prashant is great but the end goal was always a proposal/marriage, which Kamala didn't want to feel rushed into.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:38 AM, Aulty said:

I would have loved to see a favorable outcome of modern arranged marriage, too. But I could see how suffocated Kamala felt. I just wish she had an outlet besides running away.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

I don't think Kamala is choosing Mr. K over Prashant. I think she's not ready to get married so she's choosing a fun evening with a fun date over a proposal dinner she's not ready for. 

Yes. Kamala is also choosing a gathering of people she might actually enjoy rather than the cosplay-for-work activity.

If the show has enough seasons and/or focuses enough on Kamala, I can imagine in a few years Kamala chooses an arranged marriage, but with a guy she approves of, and when she wants it.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I can imagine in a few years Kamala chooses an arranged marriage, but with a guy she approves of, and when she wants it.

But Kamala isn't being forced to choose Prashant. Even last season, he suggested they get to know each other, take it slowly, and go from there. And she agreed with that.

Purely for plot reasons, I know, but this unnecessary drama where she feels she's being forced doesn't ring true, when all she had to do was so no last season to Prashant and that would have been the end of it. And added drama this season because of what he suggested she should do when that asshat wouldn't give her credit. As if what Prashant said was so horrible.

• Love 2

Can I add another, incredibly superficial, reason why I wanted Kamala and Prashant to work out? (Spoiler for Netflix's Indian Matchmaking)

Spoiler

Because I was so disappointed when I found out that none of the couples from Indian Matchmaking worked out. Even the guy who had the huge engagement party broke it off after the show.

All the older couples in arranged marriages they interviewed on the show gave the impression that they were happy and it really can work.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

This is random but does anyone think Ben character is based on BJ Novak.His real name is Benjamin Joesph.BJ and Ben are both Jewish.BJ father was a ghostwriter for celebrities.Ben father is a lawyer for celebrities.BJ went to Harvard.Ben is interested in ivy league colleges.

It must be the soap opera fan in me but I'm team ben love the whole enemies to lovers trope plus I have like Ben and  devi are more angsty and I'm a sucker for angst lol.

That's an interesting connection, given that Mindy Kaling is involved in this series and her character in The Office was obsessed with his

(edited)
6 minutes ago, JLaw said:

That's an interesting connection, given that Mindy Kaling is involved in this series and her character in The Office was obsessed with his

There also exes in real life and like best friends now.He's godfather of her daughter.

Edited by Harmony233
2 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

There also exes in real life and like best friends now.He's godfather of her daughter.

She's also never disclosed the REAL father, so there's been much speculation it might actually be BJ... I've always hoped it's true, haha.

I really liked this second season! It felt better put together than the first. I like Devi a ton as a main character and find her realistically flawed while still likable. I think both love interests are likable as well which definitely makes the show more enjoyable to watch. I've seen other shows where I hate one half of the triangle and feel like it's just a waiting game until the MC bounces back to the other one, whereas here, even though I'm Team Ben, I still enjoy her scenes with Paxton. I do find Paxton to be very attractive (the scene where he first crawls through her window and also the gratuitous woodworking scene - hot), but the Ben/Devi relationship is more of a love story to me. I also dig the enemies to lovers trope, so that could be part of it, but I think Ben's actor brings a lot of feeling to it.

As a commitment-phobe, I relate to Kamala running away from the dinner. Sometimes something just feels off. I'm sure she still likes her fiance and this doesn't all hinge on his advice about the science bros, but she might just be realizing he's not the right fit for her. Mr K is a character I really enjoy, but I don't see her 'choosing' him here either, just choosing a night of fun of freedom over being trapped in an engagement.

Lastly, I am so surprised by how much I love Trent's actor!! His comedic timing is perfection. He kind of reminds me of a young Ryan Hansen.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, jade.black said:

She's also never disclosed the REAL father, so there's been much speculation it might actually be BJ... I've always hoped it's true, haha.

I really liked this second season! It felt better put together than the first. I like Devi a ton as a main character and find her realistically flawed while still likable. I think both love interests are likable as well which definitely makes the show more enjoyable to watch. I've seen other shows where I hate one half of the triangle and feel like it's just a waiting game until the MC bounces back to the other one, whereas here, even though I'm Team Ben, I still enjoy her scenes with Paxton. I do find Paxton to be very attractive (the scene where he first crawls through her window and also the gratuitous woodworking scene - hot), but the Ben/Devi relationship is more of a love story to me. I also dig the enemies to lovers trope, so that could be part of it, but I think Ben's actor brings a lot of feeling to it.

As a commitment-phobe, I relate to Kamala running away from the dinner. Sometimes something just feels off. I'm sure she still likes her fiance and this doesn't all hinge on his advice about the science bros, but she might just be realizing he's not the right fit for her. Mr K is a character I really enjoy, but I don't see her 'choosing' him here either, just choosing a night of fun of freedom over being trapped in an engagement.

Lastly, I am so surprised by how much I love Trent's actor!! His comedic timing is perfection. He kind of reminds me of a young Ryan Hansen.

24 minutes ago, jade.black said:

I think sometimes we forget these are teenagers.some seem to think they should be acting like there in there 30s.I mean sure they all have done some stuff that wasn't great but I don't find it that unrealistic.I mean sure should that have been mature some stuff yes but its not unusual for teens to lash out or to be petty and jealous especially when there relationships involved.I think all three characters have flaws and have made mistakes.Honestly I read the spoilers before I watched the season so honestly I was expected a big build up to Paxton and devi I actually didn't think they had much depth to them.I hope they fix that next season but I'm not mad she choose Paxton I actually think that needed to happen even though I'm more team Ben.I'm wondering if Paxton is going to find the whole pro and cons board next season or find out Ben wad her first choice.

• Love 2

So Duckie has a chance after all. I think I'm ready for Andi, I mean Devi, to just move on from both of them. I don't like triangles. Also don't want Kamala hopping over to the teacher now. A man isn't the answer to all your problems but I do keep in mind this is a Mindy Kaling show, so....

I wish it would stay more on the family and friends stuff. Much more compelling. And give Grams more to do, she's the stealth attack star right now.

Y'all, I want to like Eve but I think the actress is horrible. Good for Fab having her own epiphany about things. 

John McEnroe was on fire this episode. He has really been cracking me up over the course of the show. I love the decision to have him narrate. I hope Kamala gets one episode next season with her own narrator.

Trent is the GOAT.

• Love 9
On 7/29/2021 at 12:52 PM, Harmony233 said:

she choose Paxton I actually think that needed to happen even though I'm more team Ben. 

During the first season, I felt this way, and still do now. She's a high schooler dating right now, not getting married. In high school it's perfectly fine to date the hottie you don't have a lot in common with because he's hot and you have fun together. Now that she knows she can stand up to him and set her boundaries ("you acknowledge me or we are through"), it seems a healthy relationship. Then, when she actually is thinking marriage, that's when she dates the Ben...someone that she actually has more in common with and can be a real partnership. Like, she dates Paxton now, then at their 10 year reunion reconnects with Ben. (now in real life, she'd probably end up with neither, I'm going for "tv happy ending" here).

• Love 9

I just watched all of this last week and while I mostly enjoyed it, Paxton being quite clearly a very adult man paired with an actual teenager, takes me out of it. A few episodes in, I had to look up his actor as he has not just eye bags and wrinkles but the beginnings of loss of collagen in his jaws. I saw articles stating fans were uncomfortable after finding out about the age difference between the actors, which I thought was weird as he looks older than he is. I don't mean to be critical, I think he is a very handsome man and has a clear charm but he's an extremely unconvincing teenager. He looks older than Kamala or her first boyfriend Steve. He looks like a peer of Prashant's. While Devi is quite convincing as a 16 year old.

• Love 4
On 7/18/2021 at 11:09 PM, Irlandesa said:

And in subsequent episodes we certainly saw why they might have doubts about Paxton's ability to get the grades he'd need to go to college. 

No one has ever asked Paxton to work hard academically, though. I think too many people expected his swimming to be his ticket to college and ignored the fact that he'll have to get decent grades to stay eligible.

On 8/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, peachmangosteen said:
On 8/6/2021 at 3:52 PM, tennisgurl said:

I’m crossing my fingers for a Trent episode next season. 

This. 

But I'd like Elenore and Fab episodes, too.

Same, and each has to get their own narrator.

Jonah is another one who looks way too old to be in high school.

Eleanor and Trent, huh?

• Love 2
On 7/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, supposebly said:

So it's not just me. Thank you. I thought I was all alone on my island of Team No One when it comes to Devi's love life. I refuse to debate the merits of Ben versus Paxton because from my perspective, I don't like her with either. Ben has his punchable face, not to mention there's a lot that's eyerolling about him. Paxton is every popular jock cliche in a teen show - not very bright, worried about his reputation, etc. I just don't care about either one with Devi. My favorite Devi moments are when she's being an actual good friend to Fabiola or Eleanor and when she's dealing with her emotional shit over losing her father. 

The moments with his family were heartwarming but I'm not sure why he should get bonus points for loving his kick ass sister and the grandfather who got a license plate with his name in it.  Even his parents, who were critiqued for underestimating their son's academic potential, love him.  And in subsequent episodes we certainly saw why they might have doubts about Paxton's ability to get the grades he'd need to go to college. 

I don't think the point of these moments was to give Paxton bonus points for being loving with his family but simply to provide context and backstory for the character, the same way they did Ben in Season 1 when the episode focused on him and his loneliness.  And YMMV, I didn't get the sense that the parents were supposed to be seen as the worse or even awful but more so to drive the point that no one seemed to expect much from Paxton academically and so he stopped expecting much from himself and stopped trying. Yes, that was likely because he had swimming, which in everyone's eyes was his likely ticket to college and all he had to do was maintain an above average GPA. 

• Love 3
On 7/29/2021 at 1:08 AM, love2lovebadtv said:

I completely understand why Paxton didn't want to go public and I wish Devi would just be single but I know she's 15 and wants a boyfriend. I don't get how Paxton is so good-looking and Devi isn't but I'll suspend disbelief for the show. 

I don’t think anyone believes Devi isn’t pretty. She obviously is pretty- but she’s not “cool” or “popular”. She’s super awkward and a bit insecure. Think about Belle from Beauty and the Beast- everyone agreed she was physically gorgeous, but they thought she was “weird”. 

On 8/2/2021 at 5:54 PM, HappyBerry said:

During the first season, I felt this way, and still do now. She's a high schooler dating right now, not getting married. In high school it's perfectly fine to date the hottie you don't have a lot in common with because he's hot and you have fun together. Now that she knows she can stand up to him and set her boundaries ("you acknowledge me or we are through"), it seems a healthy relationship. Then, when she actually is thinking marriage, that's when she dates the Ben...someone that she actually has more in common with and can be a real partnership. Like, she dates Paxton now, then at their 10 year reunion reconnects with Ben. (now in real life, she'd probably end up with neither, I'm going for "tv happy ending" here).

I can agree with this. 

On 8/2/2021 at 4:01 PM, festivus said:

John McEnroe was on fire this episode. He has really been cracking me up over the course of the show. I love the decision to have him narrate. I hope Kamala gets one episode next season with her own narrator.

I would love a Kamala focused episode!

I loved Devi’s dress and Eve’s outfit for the dance. Fabiola is so amazing. I’m sorry with what happened to her robot. I’m glad that her friends told her that she was just fine at being a lesbian. Awwww. Eve liked her just the way she is. My heart was all warm. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think anyone believes Devi isn’t pretty. She obviously is pretty- but she’s not “cool” or “popular”. She’s super awkward and a bit insecure.

Plus, wasn't Devi paralyzed for a year? That can frighten away many in her peer group who wonder if she might become that way again or if it might be contagious etc. While a disability can sometimes elicit positive responses in a community too, fear and avoidance are probably more common responses.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Plus, wasn't Devi paralyzed for a year? That can frighten away many in her peer group who wonder if she might become that way again or if it might be contagious etc. While a disability can sometimes elicit positive responses in a community too, fear and avoidance are probably more common responses.

It wasn’t a year- only a few months. 

But she’s the girl who’s father died in the middle of the spring concert and then was paralyzed for a few months before the start of the new  school year. 

But yes, I’m sure that plays into Devi’s social standing among her peers. High school (and anywhere else) is full of beautiful people- not all of them are popular or at the top of the social hierarchy. Confidence, circumstance, stereotypes etc have a lot to do with that. Fabiola is also drop dead gorgeous- tall, with a model’s figure, and no one ever comments on anything besides how “dorky” she is. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I’m getting the impression that some people think the actor who plays Paxton looks old or something. 

The obsession with his crows feet or “wrinkles” is a little much. I think he looks fine…more than fine and I could care less that he’s a lot older than the actress playing Devi. The actress is an adult and if she wanted to date him in real life she could because there’s nothing morally or legally wrong with it.

I’m definitely rooting for Paxton/Devi. I think the actors/characters sparkle together a lot more than Ben/Devi. I think Ben/Devi have good friendship chemistry and that’s it. I also don’t think it matters that Ben & Devi have more in common. There’s a reason the saying “opposites attract” exists. Couples don’t have to be carbon copies of each other to work. I also like Paxton’s personality more than Ben’s. Neither are perfect and that’s fine. I like that Paxton likes normal, stupid teenage boy stuff - like blowing shit up - but also has depth to him in the way he relates to his sister and grandfather and is starting to care about doing better in school. I like that the show hasn’t magically erased his faults - same Devi. He didn’t instantly start doing better academically. He’s trying to get over it, but can’t help feeling self-conscious about what other people think.

I like Ben a little more after his standalone episode, but I’ve still never forgotten about his treatment of Devi at the start of the show and the unfuckable nerds nickname. I also hate the David nickname. I’d rather Devi end up alone or with someone else other than Ben.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2