Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Poor Sisyphus

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Is that true? You can be crotchety and sarcastic, and two employed men will pursue you?

Yes, you clearly haven't watched In the Dark.  You can also be antagonistic and unbelievably self-centered.  I'm wondering why this hasn't worked for me. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Erin was pretty terrible to pretend Dylan was the father but she was smart about wanting to make Dylan's parents DJ's grandparents, I guess. 

I mean...does DJ stand for Dylan Jr., because, yeah, that's pretty shitty.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

You can also be antagonistic and unbelievably self-centered.  

Mare might be the only available hetero female between 30 & 50 in Easttown. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, blixie said:

I still think the guy who has Katie/the other girl is not the same person who killed Erin. Even if Erin put up more of a fight I see no reason to display her body out in the open to draw even more attention to his activities, bringing more heat to him isn't something he'd want. 

THIS ↑. I had the same thought, and I'm thinking we have one killer and one kidnapper/sexual deviant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Pretty stupid of Dylan and his parents to not get a paternity test.

I thought they did - I thought I heard the detective say that paternity tests for Frank Sheehan and Dylan both came back negative. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, blixie said:

I am baffled why Siobhan lied to gramma and I loved that gramma new what was up immediately (is there someone new?)

Oh come on, she's a teenager who wants a private life. She didn't want to be interviewed by her mother and grandmother about her brand new, barely there, one date relationship with a college girl. That's reason enough. She only told them about the break-up after the fact and because Mare confessed. So they must only get the headlines of her dating life if her relationship status changes. That seems normal to me. And doubtless she fed her ex the same line she gave them ("It had just run its course").

Katie is alive! Yaaay! Best news in Easttown since the last time Guy Pearce got a hair-cut, or Mare bought new lipstick, or Brianna had a kind word for the less fortunate. Well, okay, maybe not that long. 😉

I really hope Zabel isn't out taking girls into sexual slavery after he does the dishes with Mom. I'd be crushed. No shortage of shifty characters on this show, though, so it could just as easily be Father Dan, the priest who seems concerned about Deacon Shady. I can see why the Deacon drowned the bike in the dead of night. One girl murdered and two girls missing? Dylan's a *kid* and he was shot and almost paralysed when he was the prime suspect. Imagine what these people might do if they find out about a Catholic priest with a questionable history in their community under current circumstances.

I agree with all the praise here for Mare's relationship with her mother in this episode. I enjoyed it.

Edited by Kirsty
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Pretty stupid of Dylan and his parents to not get a paternity test. People lie. If it were my son, it would have been done pronto.

13 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I thought they did - I thought I heard the detective say that paternity tests for Frank Sheehan and Dylan both came back negative. 

I believe CHEDIAVOLO means that Dylan's parents should have gotten a paternity test when Erin first declared that Dylan was the father.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

Oh come on, she's a teenager who wants a private life. 

Sure but she was already telling them she broke up with Becca, it felt weird to hold back on this one detail, but I never said it wasn't realistic, just confusing narrative choice, I think one meant to illustrate that understandable or not these people lie/withhold constantly.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Kirsty said:

I really hope Zabel isn't out taking girls into sexual slavery after he does the dishes with Mom.

The dude who grabbed Missy is some kind of handyman / contractor with all those ladders. Zabel only has the cop SUV.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I just had that one cursory look at the killer, haven't re-watched. But it seemed his sideburns are pretty much the biggest clue. They look most similar to the older church guy - the cousin.  Later in the show they showed him in ways where he looked more frail than he is - maybe playing up phony frailty as distraction. Based on the sideburn test you can rule out Zabel, the Guy Pierce character, the younger church guy, and some others.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

Rewatching the Becca/Helen scene, what I master class in acting by Smart: she's trying to both comfort and clue her granddaughters ex to move on, all while being annoyed/distracted by her melting ice cream in the bread box. LOL.

• Love 21

I thought Siobhan was cagey about the new girlfriend becaus of the age difference. At one point, Mare even said something like, "who's that adult?" So I'm guessing Siobhan knew that would be a point of contention with her mom.

Otherwise, I liked this episode, although I felt a bit of deja vu when the most recent abductee encountered Katie. Reminded me of "The Family," when they flashback to the kid's experiences while kidnapped and held with another boy. After this reveal, plus Deacon Creep disposing of Erin's bike, I'm still leaning toward separate perps for Erin and these other two girls.  

• Love 3

7 hours ago, roughing it said:

When Helen pulled out the bag of frozen veggies, I said "Ewww does anyone actually eat those??"  G

5 hours ago, JeanJean said:

The funniest thing about  hiding the ice cream in the frozen vegetables is that Jean Smart's character knew no one would want frozen vegetables. 

OK wow at this frozen vegetable slander. I love frozen vegetables lol. 

5 hours ago, Fuzzy Logic said:

My first thought was that the date was Drew's birthday (because the age seems to fit), but then I thought that Mare would've had a much more startled and troubled reaction if that were the case?  It does feel like the show might be connecting Kevin and Erin...

I wasn't buying into the spec that Kevin was DJ's dad because the timing doesn't seem right but the locket made me think maybe there really is a connection between Kevin and Eric. At first I wondered if the date was Kevin's death date. Mare just seemed to know exactly what that locket was/meant.

45 minutes ago, paigow said:

The dude who grabbed Missy is some kind of handyman / contractor with all those ladders. Zabel only has the cop SUV.

He could be using someone else's van or have that as a decoy to throw suspicion. But also, didn't Becca's dad have a van? And it might have even been a contractor type one. Hmmm. Does anyone remember?

16 minutes ago, freebie said:

I thought Siobhan was cagey about the new girlfriend becaus of the age difference. At one point, Mare even said something like, "who's that adult?" So I'm guessing Siobhan knew that would be a point of contention with her mom.

Yea, Mare referred to Siobhan's new love interest as a 'woman' twice, which seemed to me to be clearly an attempt to emphasize the age difference. I didn't know there was supposed to be such an age difference between them. I figured Siobhan was 17 and the radio girl was like 20.

This episode made me really like Zabel and seriously ship him with Mare so I'm really hoping he's not the kidnapper.

I think now it seems like there's a kidnapper/probably rapist that has Katie and Missy (?) and that the person who killed Erin is someone else, likely DJ's real father.

• Love 6

I didn't know there was supposed to be such an age difference between them. I figured Siobhan was 17 and the radio girl was like 20.

Yeah the she's an older woman thing came up in both Siobhan's dialog and then with Mare, but I still found it weird since the age gap doesn't seem at all significant, and I think age of consent in PA is 16 so this doesn't seem particularly sketch to me? But I do think Mare would seize on any reason to give Siobhan a hard time, because that's who she is. Negative Nancy has nothing on Mare. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

The ice cream in the mixed vegetables bag. Priceless. I love Jean Smart so much.

Did anyone else laugh out loud at Helen's reaction to Mare's confession?  Lemme think....I laughed so hard because it was such a natural reaction.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Hee! I eat them, too. But Helen's line of reasoning, though unspoken, was pretty funny. And I think the only other time we've seen frozen veggies on the show is when Mare used a bag of them to ice her ankle.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, jrzy said:

Did anyone else laugh out loud at Helen's reaction to Mare's confession?  Lemme think....I laughed so hard because it was such a natural reaction.

She said:

"I... I... I don't know what the hell to say. Oh, wait. It just came to me. That was stupid! 
Goddamn idiotic!  You're a complete smacked-ass for doing that."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

After that flashback of Carrie and Kevin terrorizing and robbing Mare, I have ZERO empathy for Carrie, and I'm not altogether upset that Kevin is out of the picture, either. I have first-hand experience of a family member doing that exact thing, exploiting their closeness to terrorize and crime all over you. They can all burn in hell.

• Love 22
(edited)
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

But also, didn't Becca's dad have a van? And it might have even been a contractor type one.

Have we seen Becca's dad?  Did you mean Bitch Brianna's dad?  He has a big van but his restaurant's name is prominently on it.
I was really caught up in this episode.  Jess finally admitting what she knew about Erin and her thinking of prostituting herself was so well done IMO. The scene with Kevin and Carrie terrorizing Mare also. I loved the humor of the ice cream in the frozen veggies! I was sure Dawn would not find Katie alive; I expected her to have the money taken and find Katie dead. I was really tense watching that unfold. I am also in the camp that the man holding Katie and  Missy is not Erin's killer.  

i am irritated that everyone lets Freddy off the hook for his behavior!  It seems realistic, many people do that, but it only enables the abuser.  First Beth won't press charges against him. Now Dawn, knowing that Freddy causes Beth so much grief and it is even affecting her marriage, refuses to call him out for what he did to her!!! Someone needs to hold him responsible for his choices.  I wonder, though, if he really pulled this off himself.  The voice on the phone sounded sober and authoritative. I don't see how in his drug-addled state he could have planned and executed this scam. Maybe someone put him up to it, made the calls, and just sent him to get the money, offering him a cut.  

Edited by MBayGal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
17 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Is that true? You can be crotchety and sarcastic, and two employed men will pursue you?

don't forget they're also good looking and both are from out of town. Maybe that last part helps. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Echoing my feelings, I was pretty shocked too.  I live alone and I cook A LOT.  I wouldn't be able to live without frozen vegetables.  I'm going to go to the market every day in a pandemic and buy fresh ones that are going to go bad because I cook based on mood?  Nah!  I buy frozen fruit AND frozen vegetables and throw them into smoothies, pasta, etc.

All this talk reminded me of a part on "Kevin Can Wait", a show I really got into during the pandemic.  He ate all the ice cream but he put the empty carton back in the freezer so no one would know.  The daughter narc'd on him to the mom but when the mom picked up the carton it was heavy.  Kevin put a full soda can in there to make it feel weighted.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

Another reason I don't think Freddie planned the scam on Dawn himself -- I doubt that he has a car.  He has no money to pay for his gas in the house, surely he can't keep a car running.  And he never seems sober enough to drive without having an accident.  That place Dawn was lured to is way out of town.  Someone had to take him there. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

I don't have an issue with Mare asking "who's that woman" when she spots Siobhan's date because 1) she's going for an ambulance ride with her just-injured mother and 2} she sees someone she's never met holding her grandson's hand.  Seems like a reasonable question to me.  As far as Siobhan, she's dating someone she's interested in - they're not in an exclusive relationship yet that I can tell., so I'm not surprised she hasn't told Mare.

The flashback with Kevin and Carrie was just awful.  I've always thought that Mare was taking the brunt of everything in order to preserve Kevin's memory with everyone else and this confirms it.  It's possible Frank had moved out already when the incident happened?  I don't recall the timeline on that.

Carrie may not remember the incident at all.  I did feel a bit badly when she brought Drew back.  In most shows she would have kept him overnight anyway but she decided it was best to bring him to the home he knows, even though she was visibly upset. 

I love that people tell each stuff on this show.  Mare's family meeting - which was funny - normally Mare would have faked going to work and it would have dragged on.  Just like when Lori told Mare about Jess's suspicion about Frank.  We know that Jess is still holding out info but that's not surprising for that age.  Maybe she was involved in the prostitution and trying to hide it.  Same thing with the DNA results - most shows would have dragged that out.

I wonder if DJ's bio dad is a client of Erin's.  Erin could have lied to Jess about that.   I don't know, she was a teen mom in a bad situation, I give her a pass.  

Lots of mom/daughter stuff going on.  I really enjoyed all of the stuff with Mare and her mom so I'll just say I agree with the comments here about that.

Also, Mare didn't find Erin's journals.  Where are they?  Maybe the killer took them or Jess lied about where they were for some reason.

Yes, Zabel asking Mare on a date was the cutest.  "Are you asking me on a date"?  Winslet's expression was just great there. 

1 hour ago, MBayGal said:

The voice on the phone sounded sober and authoritative. I don't see how in his drug-addled state he could have planned and executed this scam. Maybe someone put him up to it, made the calls, and just sent him to get the money, offering him a cut.  

I agree but I wonder what would be the point?  No reason for the kidnapper to do it; too risky for such a small amount of $$.  Now you've got an accomplice and all of that.  OR wait, maybe Freddie was involved and Katie WAS in the basement and had been moved?  Maybe Freddie knows something.  Argh!

I was disappointed in the screen shot of the kidnapper because before I saw that, he looked like a big guy, like Lori's husband but he's not clean shaven. 

I'm really enjoying this show.  If you're going to do a short mystery series with a bunch of red herrings, for me anyway, I need to be interested in the people and I am. 

Who owns Bennie's Tavern?  Does no one check the basement?  Was it a boarded up tavern?

Save Katie and Missy! 

• Love 11
22 hours ago, FemmyV said:

Still: as a police detective, where the hell is Mare's self defense training?

She would've had to use techniques that would've seriously hurt him, and she'd have a natural revulsion to that even though he was being an abusive asshole at the time. He was still her son.

Dawn not bringing stolen money from her job to the place her daughter supposedly was being held showed that she knew the odds the caller was legit were virtually nonexistent. She wanted to check it out just to be sure, but she wasn't going to destroy what's left of her life over it. No doubt she noticed that the "confirming tidbits" the caller gave her were things that would easily be known throughout a small community like theirs. No Katie on the phone, no proof of life photo. I think that was a factor in why she chose not to tell Beth her brother was the caller - she didn't have any hopes, so she wasn't really angry or disappointed, just resigned that it was exactly what she'd thought.

I wonder why Mare didn't want Colin to know about Erin's journals. There was no in-show reason I could see for Mare to make up the fiction about having left her phone behind. If she thought that Jess would balk for some reason at giving up that information in Colin's presence (which is a stretch in itself given what Jess had already said and showed them), she could have just told Colin that. The outside-show reason I can think of is that Colin is the father of Erin's baby and so the writers need him not to know that possibly incriminating journals exist until it's time for the endgame in which he's exposed.

As for trying to figure out who's holding the two girls from glimpses, I believe it's standard practice to use a decoy rather than the real actor when filming such scenes. It helps prevent spoilers from leaking, plus no accidental reflections or whatnot that went unnoticed by the show but eagle-eyed viewers still spot. (Who can forget the Starbucks cup in Game of Thrones making it to air??) So it doesn't matter what build the guy seemed to have, if he was clean-shaven, had sideburns, whatever. It was a decoy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Pros of this episode:

• Zabel accidentally introducing Mare to his mom as "my Mare"
  • secret vegetable ice cream hiding nooks
  • "Am I not maimed enough for you?"
  • casual potato chip based wellness checks

Cons of this episode:

• everything else
  • why does the universe hate Dawn so much?

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth that 1) Mare actually planted the drugs on Carrie and 2) the narrative is trying to justify her planting the drugs on Carrie via making Carrie a shitty person, but that flashback was incredibly rough regardless.

As much as I adore the concept of making a beer guzzling, no BS 45+ year old woman an object of desire for multiple men, I feel like the amount of time and sparse emotional intimacy she's giving them would not sustain that intense dueling infatuation in real life lol. But then again, I acknowledge that that could describe most leading men on television, so bring on Author Dude and Evan Peters pining and persisting despite obvious aloofness and a clear lack of emotional availability!

• Love 11
33 minutes ago, raven said:
2 hours ago, MBayGal said:

The voice on the phone sounded sober and authoritative. I don't see how in his drug-addled state he could have planned and executed this scam. Maybe someone put him up to it, made the calls, and just sent him to get the money, offering him a cut.  

I agree but I wonder what would be the point?  No reason for the kidnapper to do it; too risky for such a small amount of $$.  Now you've got an accomplice and all of that.  OR wait, maybe Freddie was involved and Katie WAS in the basement and had been moved?  Maybe Freddie knows something.  Argh!

I don't think the kidnapper was involved at all, for the reason you mentioned.  I just think someone other than Fredde came up with the idea to get some fast money.

• Love 1

I wonder why Mare didn't want Colin to know about Erin's journals. There was no in-show reason I could see for Mare to make up the fiction about having left her phone behind. 

She's territorial as fuck that's established in show, and now she's been officially banned from even doing the investigating Zabel is doing with her now, she wants to know things that he and her bosses don't.  I think she's decided she's gonna solve this even if it means she's fired for good or you know when she goes to the next town over cause that's how our shit law enforcement  "system" works. Then she  won't  be Mare of Easttown anymore and can stop her bitchin about that. 

While I don't think we can draw conclusions about the glimpses of a man we saw, I do think the Bennie's Bar sign and the van were supposed to be useful clues (at least for the Katie abduction piece). I'm a fan of the show but it's wide scope has simply dropped some threads entirely like Kenny and Brianna's dad, Kenny confessed to attempted murder, and we haven't seen or heard a word about him since, same with Milk Madness daddy. And Brianna herself was at that school event, it would make me think they are all dismissed from being actual suspects in Erin's murder durder but I am not gonna Porky Pig my way out of this I picked  a line and I'm sticking with PoS dad to the end. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

One of whom is substantially younger, to boot. 

Maybe it's me, but the fact he asked Mare on a date makes him a bit suspicious to me.  Not that he is the serial kidnapper, who clearly likes younger women.  But him asking her out, the religiosity with his mom . . . maybe he's too good to be true?

• Love 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Ummmm, if my dating life (or lack thereof) is any indicator, no. It is not true. And I even take that extra 5 seconds and not only brush my hair but get all of it into a ponytail. Maybe that’s what I’m doing wrong!!! 😄😄😄

Edited by SailorGirl
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3

I read Colin's relation to his mother as a little uncomfortable.  He behaves for her.  The religiosity is hers, and he's keeping up the forms in saying grace before dinner.  (My parents said grace before every meal, too.  And I said it with them when visiting, even when I didn't say it when in my own house.)  He's made itchy by her pride in a case-solving that he doesn't feel entirely or only proud about.  Mare's arrival is a release because she doesn't treat him like a child, and he doesn't feel as if he has to be good all the time, to protect her from who he is as a cop or even just as an adult.  I mean, he is his mother's child, so of course she treats him that way.  But he wants to be more independent of her than he is.  He's a grown-up with Mare.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

One of the most important things I learned from watching various cooking/food shows over the years is that it's better to have frozen vegetables (which are frozen at their peak freshness) than substandard out of season veggies that are fresh in the produce department.

Some frozen things thaw/cook really well. Frozen peas and corn are great! When I was in college, I made the mistake of buying a can of peas and they were so awful - mushy, greyish in color, and not very flavorful. I was used to the frozen peas my mom always kept on hand in the freezer which were firm, sweet, and bright green. Bonus: a bag of frozen peas is perfect for icing a sore ankle or knee because it conforms to the shape of your leg.

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Hee! I eat them, too. But Helen's line of reasoning, though unspoken, was pretty funny. And I think the only other time we've seen frozen veggies on the show is when Mare used a bag of them to ice her ankle.

They do have a very white trash diet. I suppose it would be nice if Mares mother  cooked a nutritious meal a few times a week before they all get diabetes & high cholesterol. Disfunctional family for sure. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

Ummmm, if my dating life (or lack thereof) is any indicator, no. It is not true. And I even take that extra 5 seconds and not only brush my hair but get all of it into a ponytail. Maybe that’s what I’m doing wrong!!! 😄😄😄

Winslet speaks about hers & Mare's looks:   https://tinyurl.com/yjp5gxgr

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

The frozen vegetable debate is giving me life. Thank you!

I both love and am annoyed by this show. Of course we suspect the priest but then we're not supposed to because it's too obvious. But he's a clean-shaven guy who has a bigger frame than Zabel so he looks more like the kidnapper. HOWEVER, are we supposed to trust stand-in body type as fact? I don't know, that's why these shows infuriate me. 

I just can't with Douchey Richard. He's clearly in his 50s and wrote a book. One book as he points out. Get over yourself. Easttown really must be a pisshole if Mare is that starstruck over a smarmy author who uses every date as an opportunity to celebrate him (his party, his birthday). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The outside-show reason I can think of is that Colin is the father of Erin's baby and so the writers need him not to know that possibly incriminating journals exist until it's time for the endgame in which he's exposed.

9 hours ago, mjc570 said:

One of whom is substantially younger, to boot. 

Maybe it's me, but the fact he asked Mare on a date makes him a bit suspicious to me.  Not that he is the serial kidnapper, who clearly likes younger women.  But him asking her out, the religiosity with his mom . . . maybe he's too good to be true?

Please stop slandering my Colin! lol I need one genuinely pure, wholesome character in this depressing vortex of a show. And while I could maybe see the abductions dovetailing with his bitterness over the high school ex, I feel like he would be much more reluctant and grumpy about moving the investigation forward and helping Mare if he were the suspect. He'd want to stall and obfuscate leads. He could be the world's best actor or simply kissing her ass to deflect suspicion, but I don't see it. To me, he's basically a puppy with a schoolboy infatuation with a co-worker.

Given the lingering shot on "Bennie's Tavern" and Colin mentioning that his buddy just opened a restaurant, my thought was that his friend abducted those girls (which would also explain how they're magically hidden from staff if only Friend knows that room, that hallway is off limits, etc.) and then Colin and Mare would discover them on their first date when one of them goes to the bathroom or something.

Plus, the upcoming episode teaser implied that most of the teens we've seen played a role in Erin's murder, perhaps as some sort of murder among friends scenario or an accident that they now have to cover up. I think any adult men in Erin's life will turn out to be red herrings, at least with respect to her death itself. Based on the overt threats to Sara for her perceived wavering loyalty, I think those kids did it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 5/10/2021 at 12:57 AM, aghst said:

So more teen drama involving Siobhan.  Brings new gf home and they're making out hot and heavy, enough for the ex gf Becca to be able to hear them through headphones.  Nothing to do with the case but it adds to the interesting home life Mare has?

I feel like they have to add that interaction just to keep it PC.  Generally speaking, you can’t have a show these days without a gay character, a bad cop, illegal immigrants, and/or racists.  Add in the bad priest to criticize religion (I’m not remotely religious but it always feels heavy handed). I wouldn’t care about any of this if it didn’t feel like an agenda.  That being said,  I do like this show.  I am hoping it isn’t the young cop or Guy Pearce.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, MBayGal said:

I was really caught up in this episode.  Jess finally admitting what she knew about Erin and her thinking of prostituting herself was so well done IMO. The scene with Kevin and Carrie terrorizing Mare also. I loved the humor of the ice cream in the frozen veggies! I was sure Dawn would not find Katie alive; I expected her to have the money taken and find Katie dead. I was really tense watching that unfold. 

Yea, I was really caught up in this ep, too. I thought it was the best one so far. The acting in the scene with Kevin/Carrie/Mare was really amazing. The Kevin actor was fantastic. And there was a lot more humor in this ep than the others, which was very appreciated. I also was sorta stunned that Katie was alive and I loved that surprise. I just hope they find those 2 women before they are killed.

12 hours ago, raven said:

It's possible Frank had moved out already when the incident happened?  I don't recall the timeline on that.

I thought Frank and Mare divorced after Kevin's suicide. But he could have moved out prior. I too am a little fuzzy on the exact timeline there.

Is Evan Peter's character's name Colin or Zabel? I'm confused lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lambie said:

I just can't with Douchey Richard. He's clearly in his 50s and wrote a book. One book as he points out. Get over yourself. Easttown really must be a pisshole if Mare is that starstruck over a smarmy author who uses every date as an opportunity to celebrate him (his party, his birthday). 

I believe it's been pointed out before that he could just be using/observing Mare for material for a new book.   I noticed the past couple of episodes he had a lot of questions for her, such as "how did the meeting with Carrie go?" and a few other personal questions.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Mrs Shibbles said:

I believe it's been pointed out before that he could just be using/observing Mare for material for a new book.   I noticed the past couple of episodes he had a lot of questions for her, such as "how did the meeting with Carrie go?" and a few other personal questions.

This whole show is the new book Richard is writing. He picked up Mare in a dive bar last year. She told him about a simple murder case that was solved in a day and he embellished it to what we see now. The last scene will be him at the book launch party hitting on someone else. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Laurie4H said:

I feel like they have to add that interaction just to keep it PC.  Generally speaking, you can’t have a show these days without a gay character, a bad cop, illegal immigrants, and/or racists.  Add in the bad priest to criticize religion (I’m not remotely religious but it always feels heavy handed). I wouldn’t care about any of this if it didn’t feel like an agenda.  That being said,  I do like this show.  I am hoping it isn’t the young cop or Guy Pearce.  

Totally agree, as this irks me to no end.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, paigow said:

This whole show is the new book Richard is writing. He picked up Mare in a dive bar last year. She told him about a simple murder case that was solved in a day and he embellished it to what we see now. The last scene will be him at the book launch party hitting on someone else. 

Ha! It will be at a pub in England during Christmas and he's been describing the entire plot ad nauseam to Cameron Diaz who is so bored she wishes she could trade places with Mare.

• LOL 11

I'm still wondering if maybe Mare did not plant the drugs, because she should have known to switch them to bags her chief wouldn't immediately identify. Maybe her mom, who had been shown to be meddling and looking into the details of how Carrie could get custody, found the drugs as she was gathering laundry or cleaning up, and had the bright idea to plant them. And Mare suspects, but rather than say anything outright, she deadpans the story of why she's been suspended, watching for reactions. 

I'm enjoying the show, but I do keep wondering why everyone's not a little pudgier, when they go to great pains to show people eating so much junk food. Even the extras are slim.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Pike Ludwell said:

I just had that one cursory look at the killer, haven't re-watched. But it seemed his sideburns are pretty much the biggest clue. They look most similar to the older church guy - the cousin.  Later in the show they showed him in ways where he looked more frail than he is - maybe playing up phony frailty as distraction. Based on the sideburn test you can rule out Zabel, the Guy Pierce character, the younger church guy, and some others.

Another screenshot of the kidnapper - which does look like cousin priest Dan (I'll admit), but when you see Dan in other scenes his sideburns are not very pronounced (less so than Zabels or Deacon Mark), so... Other factor that makes it maybe not Dan is the big, maintenance man, style of keychain this guy is wearing. So? You decide.

Mare kidnapper.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I am still pretty convinced that the person who killed Erin is different then the person who is kidnapping women. Even if Erin did fight him off and that led to him killing her, why would he just leave her there? You would think a serial kidnapper would have a better way to dispose of a body, especially if he wants to be remain inconspicuous. Leaving a teenage girls naked body in a forest that seems to get a lot of traffic is not a good way to stay off the radar. I am pretty sure that these are two different cases. 

There are so many plot threads, its hard to figure out what's a red herring or just local color or if its going to be relevant to any of the crimes. Maybe the true killer is whoever is spay painting obscene pictures on that one couples fence? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5