Type keyword(s) to search

Kody Brown: Part-Time Father, Full-Time Asshat

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, CocoPuffs said:

And they even drive really nice vehicles like Lexus and Infiniti, but no insurance??

This guy at my church used to joke about some of the congregation and say so many of them come dressed impeccably like a fashion show but there’s probably no food in the fridge at home ... kinda reminds me of the Browns, figuratively.

That Lexus must be 15-20 years old by now. I think I read somewhere that he gave it to Logan. 

I know a lot of people who are living on the edge and yet have brand-spanking new cars. Leases mostly. It's important to them to have a new car even though they're spending a small fortune every month on payments and such. 

My own car is almost 14 years old, with about 103,000 miles on it. Paid it off 10 years ago, only costs $650 a year to insure. My dad is always telling me I should have a newer car but it's just not that important to me, even though I could afford the payments. Maybe in a couple years I'll sell my little VW to some high school student needing basic transportation and get a hybrid. But I enjoy not having payments!

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

My own car is almost 14 years old, with about 103,000 miles on it. Paid it off 10 years ago, only costs $650 a year to insure. My dad is always telling me I should have a newer car but it's just not that important to me, even though I could afford the payments. Maybe in a couple years I'll sell my little VW to some high school student needing basic transportation and get a hybrid. But I enjoy not having payments!

That's low mileage for a 14-year-old car.  If it's still running, no need to change it out.  Our 2013 Equinox just turned over 90,000 miles.  We buy a brand new car every 10 years or so, and only when we get one of those "no interest" loans.  We always pay them off early and keep driving the car forever.  

Our daughter-in-law has often said, "I'll always have a car payment."  She changes cars every two or three years.  My thought always is, "Okay.  Excuse me while I go pack for our next cruise."  That's what we prefer to spend our money on . . . experiences, not stuff.

• Love 9
Just now, AZChristian said:

That's low mileage for a 14-year-old car.  If it's still running, no need to change it out.  Our 2013 Equinox just turned over 90,000 miles.  We buy a brand new car every 10 years or so, and only when we get one of those "no interest" loans.  We always pay them off early and keep driving the car forever.

You sound like my mechanic! A few months back I had $1800 worth of needed work done. Brakes, valves, that sort of thing. 

He's right up front with me and explained why this was necessary. I asked him "so is the car worth the expense?" (It's a VW). He said, well, if it had the average amount of miles on it, then you might consider selling it but you probably could get at least another 100k or so from it, so...

Runs like a champ. I am fortunate to live 4 miles from work and within walking distance of most of the other places I go on a regular basis. Plus I've been telecommuting a bunch over the past year or so. 

• Love 9
On 8/31/2019 at 11:44 PM, CocoPuffs said:

I agree totally, but if I’m not mistaken, Maddie also drives/drove a Lexus. And it’s not the one Kody gave Logan. I remember seeing it in lots of episodes.

This sounds about right. She gave birth on TV for money, only to throw said money down the drain, in the form of an expensive car.  

There is a saying that ‘a car devalues the instant you drive it off the lot’ and it’s absolutely true. Cars are a money suck and you should only buy expensive cars if your wealthy enough to justify losing a ton of money. I seem to recall they all upgraded their cars just after they moved into the McMansions, (which seems like a smart plan when you also just took on massive mortgages but that’s Brown logic for you).

Side note: We never buy brand new cars, A family member is a car dealer and my husband got a dealers licence under him, so we buy used wholesale at dealers auctions, we fix them up, detail and repair them as necessary over time (while using them as our personal vehicles) and are able to resell making profit or at least breaking even (if we like one and keep it a few years). Some cars only need a good clean and detail and minor parts replaced to turn small profit in private sale. I may look like a Duggar, but they’ve got the right idea there and much more savvy than the Browns.  I refuse to lose good money on expensive cars. 

Edited by Sofa Sloth
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

This sounds about right. She gave birth on TV for money, only to throw said money down the drain, in the form of an expensive car.  

There is a saying that ‘a car devalues the instant you drive it off the lot’ and it’s absolutely true. Cars are a money suck and you should only buy expensive cars if your wealthy enough to justify losing a ton of money. I seem to recall they all upgraded their cars just after they moved into the McMansions, (which seems like a smart plan when you also just took on massive mortgages but that’s Brown logic for you).

Side note: We never buy brand new cars, A family member is a car dealer and my husband got a dealers licence under him, so we buy used wholesale at dealers auctions, we fix them up, detail and repair them as necessary over time (while using them as our personal vehicles) and are able to resell making profit or at least breaking even (if we like one and keep it a few years). Some cars only need a good clean and detail and minor parts replaced to turn small profit in private sale. I may look like a Duggar, but they’ve got the right idea there and much more savvy than the Browns.  I refuse to lose good money on expensive cars. 

I don't really watch the show per se. It sounds like a car she and Caleb might hang purchased (or leased?) After they got married.

• Love 1

In any case, the fact that this selfish douche lord STILL has his fancy two seater sports car when he has eleventy young kids and teens at home, tells me all I need to know about him. Full-time asshat, part-time father indeed. I guess transportation of the fruit of his loins is the woman’s work. B52E537C-88F8-4A10-BF3C-3DBCFE731717.thumb.jpeg.f50bda2e81ab75a9edd355f49357af0c.jpeg

• Love 15
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

I would like to own a car that has the camera when you're backing up. That's so cool!! And keyless too. Maybe in a couple years.

Yes, since my vehicle is old enough to vote (2001) and Mr. Cat's "new" vehicle is a 2007 we only discover that stuff when we rent a car.  The first time we got one that was keyless it took us several minutes to figure out how to start the car.😄

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

I would like to own a car that has the camera when you're backing up. That's so cool!! And keyless too. Maybe in a couple years.

BestBuy has them for about $350, including installation. IIRC the installation cost is slightly more than the system itself and it takes a couple hours because of the front-to-back wiring that needs to be hidden. 

The camera goes in your rear license plate frame and the rear view mirror you have is replaced with one that contains a viewing screen. The wiring is connected to your back up lights and the camera is activated only when you go into Reverse gear.

I priced it at my dealership: $1300!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I would like to own a car that has the camera when you're backing up. That's so cool!!

Even more than cool, it's a great safety feature. It came with my last car (2012) which was an end-of-the-model-year leftover and I love it.  I go for all of that "old person" stuff these days- back up cameras and blind spot warnings as well.

The camera has been great in crowded parking lots where you can't see around the massive pick up trucks parked on either side of you when you are trying to back out.  It's helped me avoid being hit by shopping cars coming my way or run over people walking behind me. Wouldn't be without it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

The camera has been great in crowded parking lots where you can't see around the massive pick up trucks parked on either side of you when you are trying to back out.  It's helped me avoid being hit by shopping cars coming my way or run over people walking behind me. Wouldn't be without it.

Now in our 70s, we NEVER park where we have to back out.  We'll park 50 or more feet further out in the parking lot so we can pull through to where we're facing a driving lane.  It's a trick I learned when I was taking safety driving classes before I retired.  We're old - and we live near a bunch of other old people who have not yet even mastered the idea of looking in a rear-view mirror - we call it defensive driving.

And don't get me started on pedestrians who are so busy looking at their phones that they'll walk into moving vehicles!  LOL.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Now in our 70s, we NEVER park where we have to back out. 

I have to back down my driveway to the house as I am off a busy highway. That way I can pull right out and not have to back into 60 mph traffic!  So my back up camera has been a godsend.

Also fast approaching 70 living near a small down where the median age in the county is 68 (one of the oldest group of oldsters in the state) so I think they should be mandatory if that were possible.

As people on their walking around, head down, texting on their phones - well, sorry, if they get run over I consider it natural selection!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

My husband drives an Audi TT and I just bought a Kia Soul. My car has as many bells and whistles as his and in some cases is better IMO. I’m ok with that. 

• Love 2

I drive my cars til they need an expensive repair and there are features on the new ones.  No features, no trade.  My old car had a huge repair, but no safety features so I got a new one.  I will keep it I hope forever.  It does have a backup camera which I really find helpful.  Do we think any of the Browns care about that stuff?  Like safety features?  Or just the show off labels?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I drive my cars til they need an expensive repair and there are features on the new ones.  No features, no trade.  My old car had a huge repair, but no safety features so I got a new one.  I will keep it I hope forever.  It does have a backup camera which I really find helpful.  Do we think any of the Browns care about that stuff?  Like safety features?  Or just the show off labels?

I think they don’t even think about it because they’ll just buy a new one in a couple of years. The only thing I find interesting about them at this point is how the manage to keep getting all these houses and properties. I wish TLC would do a show on that.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 9

How many times have we seen one of the Browns' vehicles break down or have a flat tire on a trip?  My car is 10 yrs old but maintained before trips, so it never causes delays or drama.  Do they even do any maintenance or oil changes? or do they just buy a new car?

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, deirdra said:

How many times have we seen one of the Browns' vehicles break down or have a flat tire on a trip?  My car is 10 yrs old but maintained before trips, so it never causes delays or drama.  Do they even do any maintenance or oil changes? or do they just buy a new car?

They probably buy a new one instead of getting an oil change.  You think they’d upkeep their cars since they apparently save money by not buying insurance.

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I think they don’t even think about it because they’ll just buy a new one in a couple of years. The only thing I find interesting about them at this point is how the manage to keep getting all these houses and properties. I wish TLC would do a show on that.

AAAAA FREAKING MENNN on that! I'd actually watch that episode.

1 hour ago, VegasVixen said:

I'm wondering if Paedon wrecked that ugly brown/goldish convertible(the LIVmobile) Kody was driving around. Or did have to give that back when he didn't sell enough green goo? 

What typically happens with those MLM cars (if it's like Mary Kay) is that they're leased. The MLM pays the lease for X number of years unless the consulant's sales/signups drop. 

I'm guessing that after the lease ended Kody opted to buy it outright or maybe they just gifted it to him or something.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Now in our 70s, we NEVER park where we have to back out.  We'll park 50 or more feet further out in the parking lot so we can pull through to where we're facing a driving lane.  It's a trick I learned when I was taking safety driving classes before I retired.  We're old - and we live near a bunch of other old people who have not yet even mastered the idea of looking in a rear-view mirror - we call it defensive driving.

And don't get me started on pedestrians who are so busy looking at their phones that they'll walk into moving vehicles!  LOL.

I've been backing into my garage every day for the past 25 years.  I have a two-car garage, but with two single-wide doors instead of one large one.  I feel much safer driving forward out of the garage so I can see neighbors and pets.  I have neighbors that are so amazed at my "backup skills" that they actually watch and make comments.  This makes me laugh, because it really is no big deal.  I have to back up one direction or the other, so I prefer to do it the safe way. I also look for parking spots that don't require backing out into traffic.  Too many people walking with their heads down and not paying any attention at all.  Electric cars are going to be a real problem in area.  No sound to warn non-watching walkers.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Electric cars are going to be a real problem in area.  No sound to warn non-watching walkers.

I have a hybrid that runs on electric under 45 mph and I am cognizant of that in parking lots.  It's not totally silent but pretty close and I have startled people.  So I'm a COL who gets dirty looks for creeping along too slowly for some folks but I don't want to mow down a texter although it's a temptation sometimes - to either run them down or honk and scare the bejeebers out of them.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I feel much safer driving forward out of the garage so I can see neighbors and pets.  

I had to take a defensive driving course to be able to drive company pickups, vans and large SUVs and we were required to always back into a parking spot. Practicing in underground parking garages with lots of pillars made me good at it and it makes a lot of sense, because when you drive in/home, you can see all the hazards around you before backing in, and the view driving out is also clear. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

They probably buy a new one instead of getting an oil change.  You think they’d upkeep their cars since they apparently save money by not buying insurance.

I'm watching season 2, episode 2 for the first time right now.  The family is travelling to Wyoming to visit Kody's dad's ranch.  One hour into the road trip, their family Suburban breaks down. Bad engine and radiator.  Wow.  You're about to go on a major road trip across multiple states, and you don't have a routine check of all systems before letting your family drive off in that deathtrap? WTF?  They really are knuckleheads.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

Ok, one last comment about season 2, episode 2:  Kody's mom correctly said "daughters-in-law" and not "daughter-in-laws" and I instantly loved her.  It's such a common error, and a major pet peeve of mine.

Another peever here.  

Didn't Kootie and the Gang have dead cars in the cult-de-sac?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Another peever here.  

Didn't Kootie and the Gang have dead cars in the cult-de-sac?  

They did xword, I recall them pushing at least one off a driveway so they could get the moving truck in.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Dead cars, no insurance, not paying garbage bills, low or no down payments on properties, bankruptcies....what are the Browns spending their money on because it sure doesn’t seem like they pay their bills.

LulaRoe start-up costs.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, deirdra said:

and vacations and eating out or take out

And Janelle's pantry stocked with Rock Star staples that she tried once.  Maybe those fall into the category of tax write-offs though, essentials for her career as a health and fitness advisor.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

It makes Kootie etc. very happy to bleed the beast and stick John Q. Public with their bills.  Why shouldn't they?  They're so persecuted!  They had to flee Utah or be put in jell!

I suppose it'll be Robyn's turn for the next bankruptcy.  

• Love 4

Funny how Kody's defensiveness comes to the fore when his appearance is criticized.

Happy? is a question he should be asking of his wives and kids with regard to his performance as a husband and father.

• Love 13

So he's being defensive and bitchy, just like Meri.  No wonder Pudge was doomed to be a narcissist.

2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Funny how Kody's defensiveness comes to the fore when his appearance is criticized.

Happy? is a question he should be asking of his wives and kids with regard to his performance as a husband and father.

It would never occur to Mr. Asshat to ask that question to anyone but Iron Grip On Balls Robyn.  He's such a dick.

• Love 9

His hair - it looks like he knocked it off with the bleach and let it go naturally gray so now he's down to a one-chemical regime instead of two. It looks a whole bunch better. 

His face - something is different. Fillers? He doesn't exactly look like himself. He looks like a random guy who resembles Kody Brown. LOL

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

I honestly think Kody looks ok for his age with his current hair style.  Of the spouse I think he’s the most physically attractive, then Christine, Janelle/Robyn depends on the picture and Meri is bringing up the rear.  Personality wise Christine, Robyn/Kody depends on the episode, Meri brings up the rear.  Janelle wasn’t included because she doesn’t have one.   With all that said, Kody’s hair is the least of his problems, but I think he thinks he is way more attractive than he is because of all the fawning over him.  I think his choice to comment on the snarking on his hair is because I do think he cares about looking good (whether he succeeds or not is a matter of opinion).  I also think it’s one of the safer things for him to comment on with “anger” so to speak.  I mean it’s not like he’s going to talk about finances, Meri wanting to have her fake Sam relationship, these half-dead marriages.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Not only a perm, but hair plugs were mentioned in one of the early seasons.

Sure looks like hair plugs to me.

If you look at the 3 smaller pics he has a pretty severe receding hairline into a widows peak that has vanished in the large pic.

You can tell that he thinks he looks hot in the last pic... 🙄

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Sure looks like hair plugs to me.

If you look at the 3 smaller pics he has a pretty severe receding hairline into a widows peak that has vanished in the large pic.

You can tell that he thinks he looks hot in the last pic... 🙄

His personality is so egregious to me, there's nothing he could do to himself physically for me to find him attractive.  He's so smug for absolutely no reason.  Yuck.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

So he's annoyed because someone brought up what has been a frequently referenced topic on the show? 

He is probably mad that we rarely bother to talk about him and instead snark on the more visible fambly members who use SM during the off season.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, deirdra said:

He is probably mad that we rarely bother to talk about him and instead snark on the more visible fambly members who use SM during the off season.

I love it how he’s been just as absent from social media as Robyn for their dramatic little lead up to the new season, but no one could care less to wonder what he’s up to or where he’s gone, yet everyone is speculating on Robyn’s whereabouts! 😆 It would gut him hard, you just know it!  

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 10/6/2019 at 8:17 AM, Kohola3 said:

Well, he has deemed himself a prophet so....

I just took another look and darn i f he doesn't look like Charles Manson!!!!!he

I wish I could do a side by side to show you!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1