Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Fathers

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, blixie said:

No he was in a nice looking, well cared for newish Jeep Wrangler and it's like cornflower blue.

13 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Dylans Bronco would sell for 25-30k if the inside is as nice as the outside.

It was a restored Ford Bronco, which are pretty rare anymore, thus worth a lot of money.  It definitely wasn't a clunker.

• Love 9

Minor quip here but if the baby's surgery is a motive for murder it's a weak one. The brochure on her mirror said $1995 or something like that. The baby would either be on Pennsylvania CHIP insurance and/or Erin and the baby would be on Medicaid, in either case it would likely be covered. Roy from Scranton's house looked decent and he's planning a wedding, even if he self-paid for the surgery 2K isn't going to kill him. 

I rewatched most of the ep today and Richard Ryan (who I thought was Sam from True Blood the entire first episode) can go screw himself. He's needy, narcissistic, and I really hope Mare doesn't end up dickmatized like Mildred. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Lambie said:

I rewatched most of the ep today and Richard Ryan (who I thought was Sam from True Blood the entire first episode) can go screw himself. He's needy, narcissistic 

But not a killer...

I knew something was shady with the ex by the way he played off not knowing Erin. If that isn’t a town driven by inbreeding, I don’t know what is. So, that last line while ick to hear was not surprising.

I feel for Erin’s father, but to make that colossal douche bag run and then shoot him in the back dampens my sympathy.  If you couldn’t look Dylan in the eyes when you killed him, that means you knew your were wrong.  What happens to that kid if the suspected paternity truth is revealed and Erin’s dad goes to jail for kidnapping and murder.

Damn near everyone in this town is awful.

• Love 3
On 4/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, paigow said:

This would be very difficult in Canada because a gallon of milk is generally sold in 3 plastic mini bags...

There are a few gallon jugs around, but not in mainstream supermarkets.

image.png.8c67bc70d1dd0a4a1d76e5165d62fe40.pngimage.png.0ce4011d3b164c1401e0be3df2312a86.png

Maybe in Ontario and Quebec. I've never seen plastic milk bags in the West.  We have plastic gallon jugs and also 2 litre ones in all our grocery stores. 

Edited by lizajane
  • Love 1
On 4/27/2021 at 9:27 PM, Laurawithcats said:

Mare's daughter, Siobhan? Where was she all day when Mare tried to call her? That was strange.

I also thought Mare would be more concerned about her daughter not answering the phone the day after another teenage girl was found murdered. Especially when learning they had been in the same place.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Lambie said:

Minor quip here but if the baby's surgery is a motive for murder it's a weak one. The brochure on her mirror said $1995 or something like that. The baby would either be on Pennsylvania CHIP insurance and/or Erin and the baby would be on Medicaid, in either case it would likely be covered. Roy from Scranton's house looked decent and he's planning a wedding, even if he self-paid for the surgery 2K isn't going to kill him.

Dylan said he didn't have enough to cover the $1800 deductible.

Between seeing the inside of their home and what Dylan was driving, it seems like his parents are financially comfortable. Based on what Dylan said (his mom was watching the baby, she asked Dylan to get some milk for Drew, and Dylan said he didn't know where it was), it sounds like when Dylan has time with the baby, his parents are the ones actually watching him. I'm guessing his parents like Drew a lot more than Dylan does and that if they had known the baby needed surgery, they would at least offer to pay for half of it if not the full amount. There's a good chance that Dylan never even mentioned the surgery to his parents and was just saying no to Erin to be a dick.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

I’m still a little confused about the Siobhan stuff. The meet up with Mare’s former daughter in law at the park was around the same time that Mare was out at the crime scene, wasn’t it? So it wasn’t that nobody had seen or heard from Siobhan — she had been with her entire family (minus her Mom) that morning. A little confusing that Mare’s own mom made it sound like they’d been out of touch but maybe it was her trying to minimize the daughter in law visit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm guessing his parents like Drew a lot more than Dylan does

I dunno.  The expression on Dylan's mom's face was like she was pretty put out having to rock the baby.  Maybe she was annoyed by something else but I got the impression she wasn't thrilled about watching her grandson while Dylan left the house.  (What a relief it will be when it turns out she isn't the grandma.)  They looked middle class enough to be able to scrape up the $1800 copay for the surgery.  Or make Dylan sell that car.

The scene with Mare talking to the pediatrician was so well acted, except I kept thinking, "wow, Kate is such a good actor" instead of being drawn in.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Maybe she was annoyed by something else but I got the impression she wasn't thrilled about watching her grandson while Dylan left the house.  (What a relief it will be when it turns out she isn't the grandma.) 

I noticed that as well but it could have been that she likes being a grandma but is not thrilled about the possibility of caring for the baby full time, which would def be the scenario with Erin dead.   Dylan's not going to be a full time dad.  Until a DNA test is done, that is.  

Dylan was definitely being a dick about the surgery.  He told Erin that he wasn't going to keep asking his parents to pay for things the baby needs so I'm betting he never mentioned the surgery to them.   Interestingly, the one scene we see of Dylan and the baby together, the baby is crying and Dylan was trying to comfort him.  Brianna was the irritated one then.   I have a feeling Dylan is going to survive the shooting.

After thinking about it, I think the Siobhan stuff is another red herring.  She and Mare have a prickly relationship and I'm not surprised Siobhan is ignoring her mom's calls if she's hanging out with her girlfriend.  Siobhan could also have a secret job - she's easily the best dressed in that household and takes care of her appearance.  Maybe she is working to stash money to move away from home or doesn't want to go to college (I'm thinking of her responses to Mare about the applications).  She also seems to like Drew's bio-mom and could have decided to secretly help her.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

If that isn’t a town driven by inbreeding, I don’t know what is. So, that last line while ick to hear was not surprising.

What was the last line? I can't remember it revealing anything incesty lol. Although, as I've said, I think it's inevitable that some incest is coming.

3 hours ago, PotterOtherP said:

I also thought Mare would be more concerned about her daughter not answering the phone the day after another teenage girl was found murdered. Especially when learning they had been in the same place.

Yea, that's didn't make sense to me either. Supposedly, no one has heard from Siobhan the day a teen girl is found murdered and yet none of them seem worried or alarmed. It was ridiculous.

2 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I’m still a little confused about the Siobhan stuff. The meet up with Mare’s former daughter in law at the park was around the same time that Mare was out at the crime scene, wasn’t it? So it wasn’t that nobody had seen or heard from Siobhan — she had been with her entire family (minus her Mom) that morning. A little confusing that Mare’s own mom made it sound like they’d been out of touch but maybe it was her trying to minimize the daughter in law visit.

YES! I was so confused by that. The timeline didn't make sense.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Based on what Dylan said (his mom was watching the baby, she asked Dylan to get some milk for Drew, and Dylan said he didn't know where it was), it sounds like when Dylan has time with the baby, his parents are the ones actually watching him. I'm guessing his parents like Drew a lot more than Dylan does and that if they had known the baby needed surgery, they would at least offer to pay for half of it if not the full amount.

The baby’s name is DJ. 

Drew is Mare’s grandson.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2021 at 9:13 PM, Broderbits said:

as was the milk heaving since as pointed out else place that part of the country mostly gets milk in bags

In the Philly area and suburbs milk is in plastic containers.  I live in the are and have never seen milk in bags.

• Love 4

I stand corrected. Milk in plastic bags is a Regional quirk within Canada. So angry people west of Ontario COULD copycat tossing gallon jugs through a window if they so desire. Living in the centre of the universe - Toronto - blinded me to shopping choices available for my western neighbours.

• LOL 1

Just watched....pretty quick I realized I better not get too attached to anyone ala GOT style. The actress who played Erin was very effective. Winslet is the reason I’m watching but wow, this is some cast. Guy Pearce, Jean Smart...

• Love 2

I'm not going to hate Richard for ignoring Mare at the lit party. I am going to hate him for not realizing she's going to be bored AF while he is working the crowd, and not advising her to bring a friend and drink all the booze they want.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 4/28/2021 at 9:49 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't think she pressured Dylan into pretending the baby was his. I think she slept with him so he had reason to believe he was the father. Based on his explanation about the attic, it sounded like they were sexually involved for a little while (not just a one time thing) and Dylan probably had no reason to think that she was hooking up with anyone else.

Or possibly raped by somebody else, maybe Frank Sheehan.

• Love 2
On 4/26/2021 at 12:10 PM, preeya said:

I LOL'd when Mare stuffed the partly chewed pate behind the cushion of the sofa.

See, I hated that she did that.  I can't stand people who have no fucks to give for the person who will eventually have to clean up their messes.

But the show does a good job of making Mare legitimately unlikeable quite a bit of the time.  They don't let Mare off the hook with a wink-wink that "she's really a sweetheart who's just having an off day."

That remark to her mother, for example, about not helping, just drinking Manhattans--brutal, rude, untrue.  And she just tossed that out without a second thought.

I could believe her whole family having a fun, lighthearted party without her.

(And I can't wait for the next episode!  Kate Winslet is a genius.)

• Love 17
7 hours ago, candall said:

See, I hated that she did that.  I can't stand people who have no fucks to give for the person who will eventually have to clean up their messes.

Me too! Maybe I've just become so sensible in my old age that I can't even have a good time anymore but I hate seeing stuff like that. I know it's just fiction, but examples of this  attitude are abundant in the real world and the lack of care and respect for the other people who have to clean up such messes upsets me. Even in a TV show. Not that that's the worst thing going on in this show by a long shot but I winced at that.

• Love 13

That remark to her mother, for example, about not helping, just drinking Manhattans--brutal, rude, untrue.  And she just tossed that out without a second thought.

Her mother also told her that she didn't like Mare most of the time and nags at her for coming in at 3 am.  Mom does pick up and heat sandwiches while she's nagging, so there's that.    Mare comes home from work to find Drew jumping on the furniture and great-grand Mom was sitting around.   Mare relies on Siobhan to help take care of Drew; I don't know what exactly her mother is doing.   I guess being a warm body in the house for when Mare has to work late or wants to get laid.   

I get a generational vibe from the three women - difficult relationship with the preceding generation - Mare's mom to Mare to Siobhan.   I find it realistic, actually.

To the show's credit, they gave Mare a fairly relaxed attitude about the whole thing; she certainly didn't seem like she wanted to attend.    She was more annoyed over the turtle - which Frank should have consulted her about considering it's living in her house and is something else to take care of.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, raven said:

Her mother also told her that she didn't like Mare most of the time and nags at her for coming in at 3 am.  Mom does pick up and heat sandwiches while she's nagging, so there's that.    Mare comes home from work to find Drew jumping on the furniture and great-grand Mom was sitting around.   Mare relies on Siobhan to help take care of Drew; I don't know what exactly her mother is doing.   I guess being a warm body in the house for when Mare has to work late or wants to get laid.   

I get a generational vibe from the three women - difficult relationship with the preceding generation - Mare's mom to Mare to Siobhan.   I find it realistic, actually.

To the show's credit, they gave Mare a fairly relaxed attitude about the whole thing; she certainly didn't seem like she wanted to attend.    She was more annoyed over the turtle - which Frank should have consulted her about considering it's living in her house and is something else to take care of.

I think what Mare's mother is doing is living in the guestroom at Mare's house and putting up with a bunch of shit from her daughter so that Mare can continue her crazy 24-hour work schedule and still have custody of her grandson.

I wanted to rewind and find the part where Mare admitted she didn't really flush Drew's pet down the toilet.  But I was afraid it wouldn't be there.  Was it?

3 hours ago, BC4ME said:

Me too! Maybe I've just become so sensible in my old age that I can't even have a good time anymore but I hate seeing stuff like that. I know it's just fiction, but examples of this  attitude are abundant in the real world and the lack of care and respect for the other people who have to clean up such messes upsets me. Even in a TV show. Not that that's the worst thing going on in this show by a long shot but I winced at that.

Oh, good!  I worried I was developing a permanent stick in my backquarters.  But now I'm validated.  Shape up, people!  Spare a thought for someone else once in a while!  : )

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 4/27/2021 at 9:16 AM, BingeyKohan said:

Finally, are they kidding with the name of Evan Peters' character (Colin Zabel) relative to the name of the show's director (Craig Zobel)?

I noticed that too, thought it might be deliberate, maybe asked for by the director. 

• Love 2
On 4/27/2021 at 1:21 PM, cardigirl said:

I can think of one book I read where the murderer was actually introduced in the very first paragraph, and I had no idea until almost the end that he was the one, the writer was just that good.  In another book, a clue was given in the first few pages, but it wasn't until the end of the book that it was revealed as a clue and I had to go back to the beginning because I didn't believe the writer had really given that clue, and yet, there it was. 

I'd love to know the names of those books!  Is there a thread where you xan share them?

• Love 1
On 4/28/2021 at 7:48 AM, SallyAlbright said:

The Wawa obsession is spot on, though 😂

I'm from the West Coast and never heard of Wawa before this week.  It's a gas station with food? I didn't notice the show/characters being obsessed with it, and didn't see or hear the name, or at least it went right past me.  But last night I watched an episode of Colbert from a couple nights ago.  John Oliver was on and told a funny story about how he hired a cab to drive him and his wife to New Jersey on Valentine's Day because she so loves their sandwiches!!  And I'm just now reading this forum and there it is again!!!

• Love 6
(edited)
On 4/29/2021 at 4:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

she asked Dylan to get some milk for Drew, and Dylan said he didn't know where it was), it sounds like when Dylan has time with the baby, his parents are the ones actually watching him. I'm guessing his parents like Drew a lot more than Dylan does

Drew is Mare's grandson; the baby's name is D.J.

Edited by MBayGal
sorry, already pointed out. Is there a way to delete a post??
2 hours ago, MBayGal said:

I'm from the West Coast and never heard of Wawa before this week.  It's a gas station with food? I didn't notice the show/characters being obsessed with it, and didn't see or hear the name, or at least it went right past me.  But last night I watched an episode of Colbert from a couple nights ago.  John Oliver was on and told a funny story about how he hired a cab to drive him and his wife to New Jersey on Valentine's Day because she so loves their sandwiches!!  And I'm just now reading this forum and there it is again!!!

Hahaha they're regional convenience stores/delis that have great coffee and sandwiches, soups, etc. They added gas stations to pretty much all the locations several years ago as well. Growing up, my grandmother went to her local Wawa every single morning to get her coffee and a soft pretzel. She did that right up until the day she died. Wawa inspires very fierce loyalty from customers!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/26/2021 at 2:00 PM, Pop Tart said:

I got the impression that Katie had some drug issues and/or maybe prostitution?

On 4/26/2021 at 3:59 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I thought someone had implied in the first ep that Katie was maybe a prostitute but I don't know if I'm imagining that or it actually happened.

In the first episode when Mare and the chief were discussing it, Mare said, "Katie Bailey was a known drug abuser with a history of prostitution. She's probably lying at the bottom of the Delaware River right now." The chief then said that the Rotary Club had increased the reward money to $15K and that the police were printing new flyers and handing them out at every needle exchange from Camden to Wilmington. Later she told Dawn that she'd knocked on every drug house door from West Chester to Kensington.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, candall said:

I wanted to rewind and find the part where Mare admitted she didn't really flush Drew's pet down the toilet.  But I was afraid it wouldn't be there.  Was it?

There wasn't anything in this episode about Drew's pets (past or present). In the first episode she had this conversation with Frank:

Frank: Hey, Mare. How's your morning going so far?
Mare: Great. I just wasted the last half hour picking out an aquarium for the turtle you and Drew brought home yesterday.
Frank: He seems excited about it. I think it'll be good for him, you know? Give him something to look after. 
Mare: That's what you said about the lizard. Two weeks later, I was flushing it down the toilet.
Frank: Did you really flush it down the toilet?
Mare: Yes, I did.

I didn't think Mare meant she flushed the lizard down the toilet while it was still alive. Drew didn't take care of it, it died, Mare disposed of the dead body by flushing it. I don't know much about correct methods of disposal: when my cat kills a lizard that's gotten inside the house I just throw it in the garbage. (The dead lizard, not my cat!)

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 4/26/2021 at 1:55 PM, cardigirl said:

Neither was the moment of her just sitting there, continuing to eat a sandwich (hoagie) that most likely had glass in it, to show how tough she is, after that gallon of milk came crashing through the front window of her house. Not realistic at all. 

I didn't at all think that it was to show she was tough...I thought it was to show she is just kind of chill, like, "I was eating a sandwich before the milk came through the window and I plan to just continue eating that sandwich until I'm done" and then she would deal with the window.  But, yeah, they did mess up because it would most likely have had glass in it.

On 4/26/2021 at 5:22 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Then he guilt tripped her into coming to an ego fluffing book party thrown in his honor after she'd already said no because she's a little bit busy trying to solve the murder of a teenage girl. When she arrived he saw her, gave her the "hold on a minute" sign, and then proceeded to ignore her.

I must have looked away at just the wrong second because I didn't see him give her a sign...when and what was it?  I only saw him see her leave and excused himself from the little circle of female fans to follow her out as she was leaving.

On 4/28/2021 at 10:56 AM, Pike Ludwell said:

For Erin to have known Dylan wasn't the father she must have been on birth control when she was with Dylan. They must have had sex at a time fitting with the time frame of the pregnancy.  Otherwise Dylan wouldn't have bought into him being the father. And if she had sex with Frank, it would have to have been around the exact same time, but she wasn't on birth control with him. Seems strange.

Or she used a condom with Dylan, and then lied to Frank or whoever the father really is, by saying she was on birth control.  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Or she used a condom with Dylan, and then lied to Frank or whoever the father really is, by saying she was on birth control.  

Frank isn’t the father. They checked his DNA. Same with Dylan. 

On 5/22/2021 at 7:15 PM, LuvMyShows said:

I must have looked away at just the wrong second because I didn't see him give her a sign...when and what was it?  I only saw him see her leave and excused himself from the little circle of female fans to follow her out as she was leaving.

45:17 he turns and sees her
45:19 she waves at him
45:21 he holds his hand up in a "wait" motion and continues to talk to a bunch of different women

On 4/26/2021 at 1:10 PM, preeya said:

I was also wondering along these lines, if in fact a town that's described as small and rural would even have the facilities to host a lavish book party, let alone one that serves liver pate and has a valet stand in the middle of what looked like an empty lot.  Who were those people at the party? They certainly weren't residents of East-town.

I LOL'd when Mare stuffed the partly chewed pate behind the cushion of the sofa.

I grew up in Philly proper. Easttown is supposed to be set in Delaware County, which is a group of suburbs - it's not really rural. If Easttown doesn't have such facilities, the next suburb over might. Easttown doesn't look rural to me, even with the woods - Philly proper has woods.

Delaware County has a bunch of colleges in it - Widener, Cabrini, Cheyney, and Delaware County Community College are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I think Haverford is also technically in Delaware County including Haverford  The county varies socioeconomically - Haverford College is affluent, and we know Easttown is not.

I like that they at least tried with the accents because 90% of the time, media set in Philly either ignores them altogether, does a New York accent, or just does a generic tough guy accent. There was one time where Winslet said "gone" and she got it right, but I could see the work she was putting into it. She had clearly had some dialect coaching where she was instructed on how to position her mouth, and I could see her positioning her mouth that way.

I binged this over the weekend. Brianna is a fucking lunatic, and Dylan needs his ass kicked. I once saw a tweet that said "you ever talk to someone and you can tell nobody has ever told them to shut the fuck up?" That's Brianna and Dylan.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 9:55 PM, candall said:

But the show does a good job of making Mare legitimately unlikeable quite a bit of the time.  They don't let Mare off the hook with a wink-wink that "she's really a sweetheart who's just having an off day."

(And I can't wait for the next episode!  Kate Winslet is a genius.)

I imagine the discarded pate starting to smell after a couple of days. She really wedged it in there!

It's starting to look like the only way her family can have a lighthearted time is if she isn't there.

She seems like a traumatized, depressed person who isn't capable of thinking of what other people need a lot of the time. The whole town is full of depressed, traumatized people who unload their pain on each other. I feel badly for the out of town cop thrown into this muddy mix. He seems pretty normal.

Did the milk jug have a brick attached to it? Wouldn't it have bounced off the glass?

I've been a fan of Kate Winslet since I saw her in Heavenly Creatures. I could watch her order a pizza and be fascinated.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 4
On 4/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, paigow said:

This would be very difficult in Canada because a gallon of milk is generally sold in 3 plastic mini bags...

There are a few gallon jugs around, but not in mainstream supermarkets.

image.png.8c67bc70d1dd0a4a1d76e5165d62fe40.pngimage.png.0ce4011d3b164c1401e0be3df2312a86.png

Interesting...... I'm in Canada too, we only have milk in gallon (4L)  containers?!?

I was not amused when Mare went to Frank's house and the first thing Faye had to say was to ask if Mare knew about their engagement. Then I was getting a jealous/insecure vibe when she was inside while Mare and Frank were talking outside. She seems to be younger than Frank, though not wildly so; I'm just seeing her as maybe a bit immature at this point. How or if that will be part of the story remains to be seen. 

What took me out of the milk-through-the-window scene was that it looked like the bottle had come open, and there was milk pouring out of it. I kept thinking what a mess that would be to clean up. But Mare seemed more concerned with adjusting her top. MMV 😉

• Love 1
On 4/25/2021 at 11:06 PM, cardigirl said:

I did [see that last line coming], from a mile away. Whether or not it turns out to be true remains to be seen. 

I didn't see it coming, but I did suspect Frank as soon as he answered Mare's question about whether he knew Erin.

An innocent man would say, "Yeah, she was in my algebra class."

A man who felt guilty about something would say what Frank did: "No! I mean, she was in my algebra class, but I didn't really know her."

In other news, it took me a while to realize Frank was Roy. Good actor.

On 4/26/2021 at 1:43 AM, grawlix said:

So far, the show reminds me of Broadchurch.   Small town murder.  Investigating detective's life deeply entangled with everyone else in town.   Every episode will probably present a new prime suspect.

I never watched Broadchurch, but I watched the US version (Gracepoint), this is way better than that, which is kind of disappointing because Gracepoint was filmed in my hometown and a buddy of mine was an extra.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:05 AM, FemmyV said:

I think 3/4 of the country must be so completely filled up by suburbia they have no idea what the small cities in the Northeast look like. 

I live in Ontario and when the border was open we would drive down to upstate new York a couple of times a year for day trips. East Town looks a lot like some of the towns we go to 

On 4/29/2021 at 7:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Dylan said he didn't have enough to cover the $1800 deductible.

If $1800 is just the deductible how much would the whole surgery cost? My daughter had to have ear tubes put in when she was around 5. It was basically because of repeated ear infections and the possibly risk of hearing loss. All those ear infections sucked, having to deal with that with a baby though would be terrible. Thankfully though with living in Canada there was no cost to us.

Also so far I kind of feel bad for Mare with respect to her friend's missing daughter. Because it is not really clear if the case hadn't been solved because of Mare making mistakes, or because of lack of resources, or is it because the friend expects Mare to spend every waking hour on the case because of their friendship. Because it seems like no matter how much work you do, some cases don't get solved. And the ironic thing (since this is a show) is that TV has probably conditioned people to think that cops solve every case.

And I also really feel bad for David Denman who plays Frank. His character on The Office was basically a prototype version of Chris Pratt's character from Parks and Rec. Pratt used P&R to launch his career and became an A list actor. Denman hasn't really done anything I have seen since The Office.

Edited by Kel Varnsen