Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Whip-Its and Emotionally Attuned Babies

jewel21

The "why doesn't he put some thought into it" line of thinking at the beginning of the episode was so relatable. Guys can be so oblivious sometimes.

Tammy chugging Bonnie's  first drink and then proceeding to flirt with Adam was so good 😄

I have to say, Wendy looked great with that Sex and The City aesthetic.

The therapy session Trevor held for Jill was so touching and emotional. I loved it ❤️.

• Love 14

Great episode all around. There was much to love but standouts in no particular order: Wendy's dress, the impromptu therapy session with Jill, Tyne Daly, the way they shot Bonnie making a mocktail at home - it looked great but felt off and eerie - which was exactly what they were going for, Tammy flirting with Adam. I'm glad they found a way to deal with Trevor's dilemma that ultimately helped them both to accept why they could not date. 

• Love 7

We finally get an episode that doesn't feel like it's lacking something - and it's right after the show is cancelled. This one really made me wish this season wasn't the last.

I really liked where they took the Jill/Trevor connection, because I never really bought that she would want a romantic connection with him so desperately.

• Love 8

This was a really good episode.  Bonnie’s realization with the mocktails was something I didn’t expect but it made so much sense, the same thing about Jill and Trevor.  If the show was going to continue I thought maybe Wendy and Trevor would get together.  Always love Tammy flirting with Adam.  Liked the joke about Adam combing his hair, it does always look askew.   It’s episodes like this one that will really make me miss the show.

• Love 8

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode. It was fun to see Bonnie get creative with mocktails. Trevor and Jill were sweet together, even if it will never evolve into something romantic. There is something in this episode that confuses me that I'm hoping smeone can explain. Why were the mocktails an issue for Bonnie at the end of the episode? As long as she is not drinking alcohol or tempted to drink alcohol what is the problem? It didn't seem like she was planning to drink anything stronger than the mocktail. Thanks to anyone who can help.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode. It was fun to see Bonnie get creative with mocktails. Trevor and Jill were sweet together, even if it will never evolve into something romantic. There is something in this episode that confuses me that I'm hoping smeone can explain. Why were the mocktails an issue for Bonnie at the end of the episode? As long as she is not drinking alcohol or tempted to drink alcohol what is the problem? It didn't seem like she was planning to drink anything stronger than the mocktail. Thanks to anyone who can help.

She was getting a thrill from mixing them that was similar to the feeling she got from mixing alcoholic drinks, and she was worried that she'd feel tempted to start drinking real cocktails again. At least that was my take on it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Reinn Wilson is amazing in this role. He can take you from nerdy awkward misfit to a sincere, understanding therapist in the span of a short episode. The "session" with Jill felt so real. Kudo's to both actors. 

As for Bonnie, meh. She's just not as good without Kristie. I missed all 4 at the diner. We need more of the girls all together. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode. It was fun to see Bonnie get creative with mocktails.

We didn't get to hear what ingredients went into the Sparkling Pony. Inquiring minds want to know.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I thought this was a very well rounded episode.  I normally like Trevor.  The only episode I hated with him is when Bonnie got too involved in his divorce and he let her.  And the fact that the show did an episode like that mars what would have otherwise been a rare decentish patient/therapist depiction makes it stand out.

But I am happy they did address the ethics issues involved with Trevor dating Bonnie's friend and that he's perceptive enough to realize that things are going on with Jill. 

I loved the mocktail story. Not only did those drinks look delicious but the story had surprising depth.

• Love 4

I'm glad the show had enough restraint not to go there with Jill and Trevor. I just wish that for once Jill could show any degree of self awareness on her own about why she does the things she does without barreling ahead against all advice to the gentlest letdown ever that still let it be all about her. Jaime Pressly is great and does a lot with the character, but yet again much of this episode she was bumping right up against being a ridiculously bullheaded bad friend in insisting that she had to have Trevor and coming off pretty needy in the process. So kudos to the show for finding a plausible way out in showing that it was less about wanting this particular man and more about responding to an emotional male authority figure she couldn't just buy. Hopefully we'll see Jill learn something from this instead of immediately moving on to the next person or thing she thinks will fill the hole. 

Rainn Wilson shows a lot of range with Trevor. The Tyne Daly scene I guess was necessary to give him a sounding board for where his own head is at since it's not like he can be having that discussion with Bonnie, but it still felt a little shoehorned in.

The suggestion jar tip for Adam to comb his hair was a hoot. I liked the mocktail storyline a lot even though part of me kept thinking about how much Adam pushed back against Bonnie's earlier efforts to froufrou up the bar at all. I guess drinks you can charge $8 a piece for will have you rethinking your previous objections.

• Love 4

Did the bar not even sell soda? They mentioned like three options for non-alcoholic drinks and soda wasn't one of them. My ex spent a lot of time at a nearby bar and when I felt like hanging out but not drinking (I'm not a big drinker) I would usually just sip ginger ale.

• Love 6

I hated this episode. Yet another 30 minutes of Bonnie bullying the people in her life and demanding that they cater to her every whim, even at the end, when she was annoyed that Jill was going to order a mocktail while Bonnie ordered a club soda. At least Jill stood up for herself. I can't help feel that Christy would have put Bonnie in her place a lot sooner.

My sympathy for Adam, the abused husband, grows every episode: his relief that Bonnie was "happy" and his dread when she immediately admitted she really wasn't were tangible.

I thought Trevor came off as a whiny prick, even if he did make the correct--and only--decision he could and still remain ethical. I did like the mini-therapy scene with him and Jill; that could have had potential as a story line. It's too bad he can't see Jill as his patient instead of Bonnie; she could really benefit from therapy (although I wonder why she isn't already in therapy -- wouldn't that be a status symbol in Rich-Girl Land?). But then, this is the Bonnie Show so no one else gets meaty stories. 

Loved seeing Tyne Daly, and I love how she's a no-nonsense character actor now. 

So when they need advice, Marjorie's their best friend but then they mock her behind her back every other time? That doesn't make them her friend, it makes them assholes.

At the end, Adam should run off with Tammy, Marjorie and Wendy tell the others to go to hell, and Bonnie's left alone until she goes to New York and ends up being co-dependent on Christy again.

• Love 2

I hated this episode. Yet another 30 minutes of Bonnie bullying the people in her life and demanding that they cater to her every whim, even at the end, when she was annoyed that Jill was going to order a mocktail while Bonnie ordered a club soda. At least Jill stood up for herself. I can't help feel that Christy would have put Bonnie in her place a lot sooner.

Jamie Pressly seems to be the primary beneficiary of Anna Faris's departure. Her role has really been beefed up this season. While she used to have a B-plot or C-plot story once in awhile, she seems to have a major role every episode now. However, I agree with your larger point that it's all Bonnie all the time. 

• Love 2

I’m surprised that Jill is pretty much co-lead now.  I really thought it would have been Tammy.

I’m one that is over the Bonnie show.  During the episode all I could think was that Bonnie’s schtick is just tired.             

I also feel like Marjorie has been relegated to Wendy land.  The writers really don’t seem interested in her anymore.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Blakeston said:

She was getting a thrill from mixing them that was similar to the feeling she got from mixing alcoholic drinks, and she was worried that she'd feel tempted to start drinking real cocktails again. At least that was my take on it.

It's pretty much a gateway thrill for her.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

On a shallow note-I really like the geometric blouse Bonnie was wearing at Trevor’s.

If you really, really like it and want to shop for it, it may be shown on wornontv.net.

Edited by FrankOFoley
bad cite
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have barely watched since Christy left.  Have they explained her absence on the show?  

She got an entirely unrealistic full-ride scholarship to Georgetown Law School.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

It's too bad he can't see Jill as his patient instead of Bonnie; she could really benefit from therapy (although I wonder why she isn't already in therapy -

Exactly!  Other than that brief spell with her inner strength coach after she lost all the weight, Jill has had no other outlet to work out her issues other than AA.   Instead of using alcohol to mask her emotional issues she uses money.  Between her mother's suicide, her father taking off, her divorce, ex remarrying, backsliding in her sobriety several times, wanting to adopt just so she'd have someone to dress up, buy things for and get unconditional love from, then losing that child (Emily) to her recovered mother which resulted in Jill's binging and weight gain, losing the weight and trying to fit into her inner circle again, meeting Andy and pushing him away and now Trevor.  As far as I'm concerned, she's in desperate need of counseling

My sympathy for Adam, the abused husband, grows every episode: his relief that Bonnie was "happy" and his dread when she immediately admitted she really wasn't were tangible.

I agree.  The shows always seem to start out with Bonnie griping or complaining about something, but by the end of the episode she seems to see the err of her ways and apologize or make it right.  But....after she's put everyone through so much grief first as if you have to walk on eggshells around her

But then, this is the Bonnie Show so no one else gets meaty stories. 

I'd settle for a blip of a crumb of a story for Wendy.  Okay - just me seguing into my pro-Wendy rant

I think that Wishbone drink should've been called 'Thanksgiving In A Glass'

22 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I hope the actress who plays Wendy had somewhere fun to go after the bar scene. She looked great in that dress. Be a shame to waste it on a 2 minute cameo.

She certainly did

21 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I guess drinks you can charge $8 a piece for will have you rethinking your previous objections.

Eh - charging $8 for a fruit juice/soda 'mocktail' seems a bit outrageous. 

• Love 1
On 2/26/2021 at 4:49 AM, MissLucas said:

Great episode all around. There was much to love but standouts in no particular order: Wendy's dress, the impromptu therapy session with Jill, Tyne Daly, the way they shot Bonnie making a mocktail at home - it looked great but felt off and eerie - which was exactly what they were going for, Tammy flirting with Adam. I'm glad they found a way to deal with Trevor's dilemma that ultimately helped them both to accept why they could not date. 

I wondering if it had to do with tiktok.  Most of their cooking and drink making videos are like that - very aggressive without voice overs.  

Am I the only one that could go for a Trevor spin off? Featuring Tyne Daly? His scenes were the highlight  of this episode for me, secondhand embarrassment in the juice place and all. Have him relocate to a new city to start his life over - I guess we lose Tyne that way but it's the only way to get rid of Bonnie - and I think he could absolutely carry a show on his own. 

• Love 4
On 2/27/2021 at 1:48 PM, ams1001 said:

She got an entirely unrealistic full-ride scholarship to Georgetown Law School.

That’s for sure.  She didn’t get accepted by any schools a few seasons ago.  The Georgetown thing is completely ridiculous.

• Love 1
On 3/1/2021 at 5:44 PM, LucyEth said:

That’s for sure.  She didn’t get accepted by any schools a few seasons ago.  The Georgetown thing is completely ridiculous.

Yes, but I'm so glad they didn't kill off the character. I liked this episode, and how much it meant to Bonnie that Trevor chose to keep being her therapist over dating Jill.  Wonder how they will end the show, hope its a good one.

• Love 1

So Jill at the end mentioned she can't even eat olives anymore cuz blah blah blah history, but I'm about 90% sure in the earlier scene with all the friend-group ladies drinking the same drink in the bar, there are visible olives in Jill's glass. 

When they screw with character details 2-3 (or 6) seasons later, OK fine, they changed their minds and are hoping we don't notice, but this was in one script.

12 hours ago, theatremouse said:

So Jill at the end mentioned she can't even eat olives anymore cuz blah blah blah history, but I'm about 90% sure in the earlier scene with all the friend-group ladies drinking the same drink in the bar, there are visible olives in Jill's glass. 

When they screw with character details 2-3 (or 6) seasons later, OK fine, they changed their minds and are hoping we don't notice, but this was in one script.

I could handwave that as the olives stayed in the glass.  Maybe she can have them in a drink but can't actually eat them.  

On 2/26/2021 at 9:20 AM, Blakeston said:

We finally get an episode that doesn't feel like it's lacking something - and it's right after the show is cancelled. This one really made me wish this season wasn't the last.

Oh my god!!!!!  I didn't even know..... 

On 2/26/2021 at 3:27 PM, AnimeMania said:

It was funny that all the ladies had the same cocktail with the bacon in it. 

A bacon gimlet, a piglet! 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:53 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

I wondering if it had to do with tiktok.  Most of their cooking and drink making videos are like that - very aggressive without voice overs.  

It reminded me of the scene in "Bridesmaids" when Annie bakes herself one single cupcake.

On 3/1/2021 at 8:37 PM, TOWTooMuchTV said:

Am I the only one that could go for a Trevor spin off? Featuring Tyne Daly? His scenes were the highlight  of this episode for me, secondhand embarrassment in the juice place and all. Have him relocate to a new city to start his life over - I guess we lose Tyne that way but it's the only way to get rid of Bonnie - and I think he could absolutely carry a show on his own. 

Rainn is wonderful. 

Someone on this writing staff has either been to a lot of therapy or consults with a therapist, because the way Trevor just slid into therapist role and the things he said were incredibly believeable (saying this as an actual therapist). There are some things that absolutely aren't, like accepting the gift from Jill, the office being where it is, and the ridiculous way he acted at the juice shop, but when he gets into the therapist role he does a great job. Even his body language is appropriate. 

• Love 3