Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: Premature Evacuation

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

Forced to reckon with their friction, Francesca finally comes to a decision regarding Elizabeth’s future on deck. Meanwhile, Rachel’s feelings toward the interior take a toll on the crew. As Izzy and Rob’s relationship takes a dark turn, James makes a shocking betrayal. Ultimately, unforeseen world events completely alter the course of M/Y MySeanna’s charter season, leaving everyone uncertain of their future.

Airdate: 02.15.2021

I don't think I want to see Izzy and Rob's relationship take a dark turn.  

• Love 3

Oh Elizabeth!  Put a sock in it!  Roll the greatest hits of her screw-ups.

Rachel is being really shitty too.  It's really none of her business.

With the rest of the season cancelled, it was the perfect time to fire Elizabeth.  She won't learn from it though, those types never do.

Yes James, you are an asshole.

Francesca wasn't "looking" for a reason to can her.  There were dozens of reasons.  She twisted herself in knots to keep her because she needed the minimal work Liz did.

Rachel needs to get over herself with this birthday cake BS.  I've been to many lunches and dinners where we celebrated (or mourned occasionally) a coworker getting fired.

She would have found another reason to be pissed.

eta:  Did she really think Lee would fire Chez?

Asshole.png

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 21

I still stand by my previous opinion that firing Elizabeth with only two charters left on the books is incredibly stupid.  Francesca simply didn't like her and wanted her gone.  I was laughing over the fact that in the end, Elizabeth didn't miss any charters.  

I don't particularly like Rachel but I dislike Francesca far more so I'm siding with Rachel over the cake.

Overall, a letdown of a season finale.  

Any idea why the crew leaves one at a time?  Just for filming purposes?  Because wouldn't it make more sense for all of them to leave for the airport at the same time (especially when their destination countries are the same)?  

• Love 15

Well you might as well party now kids.  Even Rachel was pleasant (and QUIET).

We all know how messed up your world is going to get.

I don't think Capt. Lee was prepared for the abrupt ending.  He seemed to get better.

Good for Izzy giving it to Rob.

• Love 16

I'm not going to lie. Am having a little PTSD after watching the last episode unfold. I got home from visiting my daughter in NYC on March 12. Walked off the plane, drove home, and self-quarantined for 14 days while the world proceeded to go to &*#$. Watching it happen all over again on tv was hard. Eddie saying he didn't think it would last more than a couple of weeks...

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

James seems so upset to see Elizabeth get the heave ho.  <crickets>

I never thought I could dislike a couple as much as last season, but James and Elizabeth are truly awful to watch. They both give a bad reflection of any gender.

• Love 24
10 minutes ago, endure said:

Why was it Elizabeths birthday again?

I guess this “real” cake was supposed to be a do-over. I wonder how it ended up being served if Rachel canceled it. She seemed to think that Francesca belayed the cancellation and that was what truly offended her.

I understood why she was angry that everyone laughed and was gleeful eating the cake, which seemed like they were celebrating and minimizing Elizabeth’s firing. But Elizabeth had gotten her cake the night before, however pathetic, and she wasn’t there to be personally offended or hurt, so why shouldn’t everybody dig in and enjoy it? Rachel can state her problem and then get over it.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 13
30 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I guess this “real” cake was supposed to be a do-over. I wonder how it ended up being served if Rachel canceled it. She seemed to think that Francesca belayed the cancellation and that was what truly offended her.

I understood why she was angry that everyone laughed and was gleeful eating the cake, which seemed like they were celebrating and minimizing Elizabeth’s firing. But Elizabeth had gotten her cake the night before, however pathetic, and she wasn’t there to be personally offended or hurt, so why shouldn’t everybody dig in and enjoy it? Rachel can state her problem and then get over it.

Eat My Cooter girl is suddenly the arbiter of good taste.  I'll bet she's even more pissed that she made peace with Francesca only to have the season canceled. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 6

Lee gives Eddie 1st Officer stripes.  Is that a thing?  Do you need a higher ranking officer to promote you like the military or is it just a license you obtain on your own?  You have a license, some experience and you can call yourself whatever you want if someone is willing to hire you at that position?

• Useful 7
1 hour ago, Escapereality said:

Yes but I was saying “like” James. It seems like he got a slap on the wrist and she was grilled and shamed. 

I guess, but James also didn't try to play word games over it when confronted. The reason Elizabeth was grilled was because she kept verbally contorting herself to try to get out of admitting that she'd been in the cabin - I was frustrated watching it, so I can only imagine how frustrated Francesca was as she was trying to get a straight answer out of her. Although, that said, I think Francesca was wrong to have that initial conversation in front of everyone rather than privately.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

Lee gives Eddie 1st Officer stripes.  Is that a thing?  Do you need a higher ranking officer to promote you like the military or is it just a license you obtain on your own?  You have a license, some experience and you can call yourself whatever you want if someone is willing to hire you at that position?

Maybe you get your license then you have to do an actual practicum and earn your stripes?  

Edited by endure
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I don’t think the cake thing was terrible, other than it’s being filmed and Liz’s feelings will be hurt even more. Rachel’s reaction was over the top. 
Glad Izzy got to tell off jerk face but too bad other jerk face tipped him off. At the time she did it though was kind of late and the mood had changed due to the pandemic.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, endure said:

I feel like Izzy takes her self importance way too seriously.

I felt like Izzy was justified, she did a good job and was recognized as a valuable team player, the guys refused to acknowledge her status because of their delicate male ego.  Their actions highlighted how hard it is to be an accomplished woman in a male dominated field,  had James or Rob been promoted the level of respect would have been different.  Izzy spoke up which irrated the boys even more, it all boiled down to their lack of respect and their need to have their ego stroked.

I hope Elizabeth sees she wasted her time with James and learns from this experience, he is less than a stellar person...not sponge worthy at all.

• LOL 3
  • Love 18
6 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

Seems mostly like a resume thing.  He's not going to be hired as a first officer out of hand at his next place, but they'd take that into account for his new position and with their previous employment checks.  And salary negotiations, etc.

I also checked out for this last episode, not because I was sick of the season or anything (I mean, good lord, what kind of weird-ass expectations do people actually have for this garbage television we're all choosing to watch?) but just the standard "why do I want to relive the start of this horror show?"

Overall I'm of the opinion stated above that Elizabeth being terrible doesn't somehow by default make Francesca actually good.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 3

I understand why Rachel was upset about the cake. Their demeanor came across as them celebrating Elizabeth's firing.  

I'm happy Izzy called Rob out on his passive-agressive behavior. I just wish she didn't tell James anything,  so that Rob couldn't try to weasel his way out of the conversation.  

I like Captain Lee and Eddie's relationship.  Eddie grew on me this season.

• Love 10

I got stuck with a few Elizabeths in college. They would get an A because of my work. No, I'm not giving the final project to you for your interview, because you did the minimum and I'm not falling for your eyelash batting gaslighting. If I'm getting paid, I'm not putting up with your bullsh*t.

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, spunky said:

I understand why Rachel was upset about the cake. Their demeanor came across as them celebrating Elizabeth's firing. 

I feel like the whole cake thing was some major producer manipulations, but even still... It was Rachel who ordered the cake so it was on her to make sure it was cancelled. She said she'd cancelled it but didn't look too surprised when it showed up, so I would guess she didn't cancel, or again, producer shenanigans. 

And as to the celebration? They'd all had some drinks at that point, though no one seemed too drunk, and were feeling relieved that they were getting past the initial awkwardness of the firing. That's how I read it. Not as a rah-rah Elizabeth's gone. Eddie and Francesca were asked about it on WWHL and both said that they were just excited because there was cake.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I still stand by my previous opinion that firing Elizabeth with only two charters left on the books is incredibly stupid.  Francesca simply didn't like her and wanted her gone. 

I am on board w/that. Francesca is terrible at her job.  She does not know how to supervise people. I've supervised people and I promise you there has to be one small thing Elizabeth is better at than others, use it to motivate, the place where she shines will bring on motivation to improve the many areas where she lacks. If you are going to be stuck in close quarters supervising people who live=in you better have a grasp of the big picture. You cannot just fire the people you can't manage and this will catch up with Francesca. 

11 hours ago, Escapereality said:

So James doesn’t get reprimanded like Elizabeth for using the guest cabin with her.  Ew.  She may have been bad but James and Francesca are so nasty I actually feel bad for her and I agree with Rachael the cake celebration was nasty. 

Total slut shaming. She went in on Elizabeth in an unprofessional and emotional way, much different treatment than James got. One of the worst things I have seen on Below Deck and it is disgusting. Boys will be boys and get a stern clipped reprimand. Girls will get shame and emotion and a raised voice in in front of other coworkers. 

Francesca you suck, you are terrible at your job. You are no Kate Chastain. You don't even have a cool signature necklace. 

Edited by Alonzo Mosely FBI
  • Love 10
40 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

And as to the celebration? They'd all had some drinks at that point, though no one seemed too drunk, and were feeling relieved that they were getting past the initial awkwardness of the firing. That's how I read it. Not as a rah-rah Elizabeth's gone. Eddie and Francesca were asked about it on WWHL and both said that they were just excited because there was cake.

Exactly.  I know if I had been in a similar situation, I might have sort of been laughing out of the awkwardness and the surprise of it all, and then moved on to "yay, cake."  And if it upset Rachel, the mature thing to do would have been to say "hey, guys, I forgot to cancel this, so let's eat it, but can we not joke too much about Elizabeth missing her cake?" or something...not stalk off, sulk, sulk more in a van, stomp around swearing, go to Captain Lee complaining, and then finally have a nonspecific detente meeting?  

I want to find out how all of them got home and dealt with the start of the pandemic...but I don't want to see nasty Elizabeth on the reunion (just the split second of preview and her calling people "bullies...").  I'm torn about watching it.    

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I hope Elizabeth sees she wasted her time with James and learns from this experience, he is less than a stellar person...not sponge worthy at all.

I see what you did there, Elaine. 

• LOL 21
  • Love 3

I call this the lazy/stupid problem. I ran into a ton when I managed a retail store for the better part of a decade. Attractive + lazy/stupid + good attitude = rarely any real consequences for being useless, and always a huge amount of sputtering disbelief when someone is finally willing to provide the consequences. A good manager can train their way out of any number of problems, but you absolutely cannot train someone not to be lazy/stupid. She can choose to get her shit together, but that's an internal motivation thing, and not something you can be trained or managed to do. 

In other news, I literally laughed out loud when the waitress delivered the cake. If that makes me mean or tasteless, I embrace it. 

• Love 21

I seem to remember when Eddie and Francesca were talking to the Captain about the room incident, Eddie specifically said that it was bad, but James was overall a decent worker, so it wasn't a firing offense.  Elizabeth, on the other hand...

• Love 13

I am totally on team Elizabeth.

I think Francesca is extremely terrible at her job and false as a person.

It is shameful to fire this girl just 2 charters before the endo of the season. If a member of the team is a bit slower or distracted (by James) there are various ways to manage a person like Elizabeth and get her to perform better. Not by publicly talking down on her, continuously blaming her for even the slightest mistake. She was simply HATING Elizabeth from day one and just looking to get rid of her.

I supervise people myself and I do not see why a person like Elizabeth should be fired. There were at least about 10 stewardesses in previous seasons that were 101% worse then Elizabeth, but they were not fired.

I had a smile on my face when Rachel told that false person to shove that cake up her arse.

Another bad "wanna be" supervisor is Izzy. She is also totally false and has BIG ears in order to spread gossip (snitching) around the vessel and getting people in trouble. Therefore I totally understand Rob. Izzy should not have be promoted.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Preach.  I am baffled by those who say it is Francesca's job to train or motivate Elizabeth.  It is not Liz's first week on the job.  She supposedly has 4 or 5 years of experience!  I think Fran was actually very patient with her and she became frustrated because she couldn't seem to get through to her.  Fran didn't realize she was being played and that Elizabeth had no intention of changing or getting better.

Off course it is the job of the chief stew to MANAGE her personnel. I do not understand this.

They are a team of 3 stews+ a cook+ 4 deck hands with most of the time only 6 guests onboard and they still manage to screw up orders.

To me, this is the fault of the person who is the manager of the team (chief stew).

I could take care of 6-7 guest totally by myself.

• Love 2