Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: Premature Evacuation

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

Ok, wait. I might be getting my episodes confused. I watched the "Never Before Seen Footage" of the previous episode back-to-back with this one.

Did anyone else see this?: Elizabeth puts on a bikini to go for a swim/sunbathe; abandoning her radio. James collects her discarded uniform & radio--- & goes to Capt. Lee: "Have you seen Elizabeth?" Fake innocence as he's standing there holding the receipts. Of course, Capt. Lee then reprimands Elizabeth for not having her radio. She was an idiot for doing it, but--- James busted Elizabeth knowing she was already on thin ice! What a slimeball! Bleech!

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

James calls his mother Elaine?

Tells her he's coming home, she better be ready to do a lot of cooking?

Just being cheeky as the Brits say?

Or just the way he sees women, including his own mother? 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, aghst said:

Tells her he's coming home, she better be ready to do a lot of cooking?

Just being cheeky as the Brits say?

Or just the way he sees women, including his own mother? 

I think he showed his ass pretty clearly over the course of the season, culminating with his little-bitch move of warning Rob that Izzy was going to speak to him about his rudeness. And his excuse boiled down to, he told him because they both have penises!! Misogynistic pieces of absolute shit. And Elizabeth should have been fired when Shane was. She was untrainable, unmanageable, and downright brain dead.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, politichick said:

Worst season ever. I will say, though, Izzy looked surprisingly chic when she was making her exit. Didn't know she had it in her.

I cannot agree. The previous season was so bad that I didn't start watching this one until about 8 episodes had already been broadcast. I thought I was done and then decided to give a new crew a chance, and overall I enjoyed this more than several of the previous seasons. Would have enjoyed Kate as Chief Stew with Francesca as Second to see how that might have worked. The thing is, if all the crew members work together well and are good at their jobs, there's little drama and Bravo needs drama. If you get plenty of guests like Dolores, it can come from them, but sometimes the guests just aren't that interesting or entertaining or demanding, etc. -- "Versailles" couple with creepy, dimwitted, entitled (and boring) sons, for example.

Izzy looked great! 

ETA: My impression of Elizabeth is that from the first she did not give Francesca due respect as Chief Stew, like she has a problem with authority. Also, she never seemed to listen closely to instructions, always seemed half distracted. I think she was far more interested in the scenery and her romantic life than doing the job. With supposedly 5 years of experience, she should have known how to pay proper attention to the guests, if nothing else. What other "training" did she lack? Should Francesca have taught her how to carry a basin of soaking clothing outdoors? And really, I can't stand a person who, when asked a basic "yes or no" question waffles around trying to make excuses, tell a long story, deflect from the issue. It's so immature. Elizabeth knew she had broken a rule and was too wimpy to admit it and take the punishment.

Edited by RedHawk
Emphasis added
  • LOL 1
  • Love 22
3 hours ago, politichick said:

Worst season ever. I will say, though, Izzy looked surprisingly chic when she was making her exit. Didn't know she had it in her.

Izzy looked great !. I hope she comes back next season.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, 88Keys said:

That legitimately made me sad.  I liked seeing the crew tear through all the leftover alcohol on the boat (should have taken that vodka home to make hand sanitizer out of it, though).  I know people will say that they shouldn't have been celebrating when there is a pandemic going on, but I'm glad they got one more night of fun before they went back home to hell.  

The scenes with Lee and Eddie...I'm not tearing up.  You're tearing up.

I suspect that being sweet and dumb has gotten her pretty far in life, actually.  I think she knows exactly what she's doing.  And you are correct.  She will never learn. 

Rachel just wanted something to get mad about, as usual.  "The most disrespectful thing I've ever seen."  Really?  In your whole life?

I’m also glad they tried to celebrate while they could. They could do zip about the pandemic, at that time there was even less information and more horror, and they were stuck there. Tiny coworker party? Live it up while you can, it doesn’t take away from anyone else. 

Dang it, Captain Lee. You and Eddie had better keep staying in touch.

Totally more disrespectful than Rachel herself flinging F-bombs and the like at Captain Lee and storming off the boat. /s

• Love 8

Rachel said that (the cake thing) was "the most distasteful thing she's ever seen in her life."

She's led a remarkably sheltered life, I guess. 

I agree with someone upthread. The cake was delivered. Eat up! It's cake!

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Tess23 said:

I'm not going to lie. Am having a little PTSD after watching the last episode unfold. I got home from visiting my daughter in NYC on March 12. Walked off the plane, drove home, and self-quarantined for 14 days while the world proceeded to go to &*#$. Watching it happen all over again on tv was hard. Eddie saying he didn't think it would last more than a couple of weeks...

I feel you 1000% about the PTSD. I remember it as the difference between Mardi Gras (which went on full blown & became a superspreader event) & St. Patrick's Day (when all the parades stateside were canceled.) The last guests & the crew seemed so naive--- as we all were a bit then--- in their cocoon of luxury. Even as their families & friends were calling from abroad to sound the alarm... 

I would be interested to hear during the reunion, how the crew's trips home went. What with border closures & lockdowns & quarantines & such. Australia was particularly strict; the UK & the States less so; & early on Italy was the epicenter of the virus outside of China.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I can't stand a person who, when asked a basic "yes or no" question waffles around trying to make excuses, tell a long story, deflect from the issue. It's so immature. Elizabeth knew she had broken a rule and was too wimpy to admit it and take the punishment.

In the case of the confrontation in the crew mess about the sleeping in the guest cabin, Francesca should never have had the convo in front of others. F raised her voice and had an audience and really went for it. Very wrong. I think the answer is there was no SLEEPING done in the guest cabin and Elizabeth felt too awkward and embarrassed and reluctant to come out and say  in front of her coworkers: "well no we didn't sleep in the guest cabin we just f***** ". 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

I feel like the whole cake thing was some major producer manipulations, but even still... It was Rachel who ordered the cake so it was on her to make sure it was cancelled. She said she'd cancelled it but didn't look too surprised when it showed up, so I would guess she didn't cancel, or again, producer shenanigans. 

And as to the celebration? They'd all had some drinks at that point, though no one seemed too drunk, and were feeling relieved that they were getting past the initial awkwardness of the firing. That's how I read it. Not as a rah-rah Elizabeth's gone. Eddie and Francesca were asked about it on WWHL and both said that they were just excited because there was cake.

I wouldn't put anything past Bravo. I'm sure the crew didn't mean anything by their reactions either. However Rachael precieved their reactions to the cake as being shady. She appeared angry about the firing in general and most likely used the cake as an excuse to become openly angry. 

• Love 8

Watching this I felt complete empathy for Captain Lee.  Coming to this season after the very public loss of his son. He immediately falls and fractures a rib. Kate isn’t back so he is working with a chief Stew who he doesn’t know and who is way to insecure in her own skills & relies on him too much (I don’t  think he’s had to do this much handling of personnel issues before.) He has to deal with Drunken Dolores and her possibly fatal night time dive off the side of the boat.  He almost had a “mustard gas” poisoning of his crew.  He has a chef who was almost impossibly rude and disrespectful to him ( no matter how she’s trying to reframe this,telling her Captain to “ Eat my cooter” is the very height of insolence & he didn’t deserve that. Thank heaven for Eddie - who has matured and must have been the only bright spot in this horrid season for him.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

ETA: My impression of Elizabeth is that from the first she did not give Francesca due respect as Chief Stew, like she has a problem with authority. Also, she never seemed to listen closely to instructions, always seemed half distracted. I think she was far more interested in the scenery and her romantic life than doing the job. With supposedly 5 years of experience, she should have known how to pay proper attention to the guests, if nothing else. What other "training" did she lack? Should Francesca have taught her how to carry a basin of soaking clothing outdoors? And really, I can't stand a person who, when asked a basic "yes or no" question waffles around trying to make excuses, tell a long story, deflect from the issue. It's so immature. Elizabeth knew she had broken a rule and was too wimpy to admit it and take the punishment.

Yes to all of that and in addition, she was bringing the moral down by constantly talking about how bad a boss Francesca was.  I find that the person that complains the loudest about their job and boss is the one doing a lousy job, see exhibit E.

Nobody likes to hear their coworker constantly harping on what a bad boss they have, it is tiring to listen to. Elizabeth probably has a history of weeping complaining at every job she has ever had, I wonder if any other chief stews or previous hook ups will come forward to give us some insight.  I think she has a problem with authority as in she thinks she has any.

I sort of thought it was strange that James did not even feign sadness about her being fired, he basically held the door for her on her way out, no hug or (birthday) kiss, just a "see ya." 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
57 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Rachel said that (the cake thing) was "the most distasteful thing she's ever seen in her life."

She's led a remarkably sheltered life, I guess. 

Well if she's watched the show then she's definitely seen way more distasteful things now - her telling the captain to eat her cooter, her drunk and raging at James, her drunk and taking the stage, her talking about various bodily functions while cooking... certainly one of those is more distasteful? 

Edited by Pop Tart
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

He was, and he wasn't such a useless waste of oxygen so wasn't fired.

Exactly. Why weren't they reprimanded the same:

They don't have the same job.

They don't have the same boss.

They don't have the same track record of performance on charter. James broke a rule but managed to  perform his job and flirt while Liz flirts and talks and hair twirls an complains INSTEAD OF doing her job. Liz had like 15 verbal warnings by that point James had only had one fuck up, by having sex with Liz in his cabin and grossing out Izzy. That girl shoulda been fired when she nearly mustard gassed the entire boat, but Lee vetoed Francesca all season.

• Love 19

Vapid Elizabeth’s shocked reaction to being fired... priceless!!!

I can’t stop laughing!  Just by her reaction, Elizabeth proved how truly brainless she is.  You can’t train stupid.  It solved James’’ problem, too.

Chef Chief Alcoholic Ragel says the cake thing was the most distasteful thing she’s ever seen??? She ordered the cake!!! That’s really rich coming from her!  What a psycho!  And what “struggles” has she had with the Interior all season? The mahi mahi debacle, partly her own fault, and the forgotten Ketchup?  I can’t think of any other major issues. Her manic, aggressive shtick is getting old. She needs to shut the fuck up and take a permanent seat and a chill pill or two twelve. 

Edited by nytonc
  • Love 18
3 minutes ago, nytonc said:

Chef Chief Alcoholic Ragel says the cake thing was the most distasteful thing she’s ever seen??? That’s rich coming from her!  Her manic, aggressive shtick is getting old. She needs to shut the fuck up and take a seat

when she was on the phone with her boyfriend, and letting loose in violent and vulgar language, I was thinking that if I were her BF I'd be wondering how long it would be until that kind of vitriol was going to be raining down on *my* head.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

From the woman who at a meeting MAY have directed a "go fuck yourself" at the Captain (though I will allow some flexibility here, that's not something you would say about a client to your boss unless you were quitting for realsies), ruined how many people's afternoon AND a band's gig by getting daytime drunk at a beach club, told a fellow female employee she was going to anally invade a dinner service, and talked FAR too much on tv about her gastrointestinal issues. 

• Love 11

Sleeping, screwing, or short-sheeting the bed, the only answer was “yes, we were in the  master cabin together without permission.” Embarrassed to admit they were having sex? She’s 30 years old (so I’ve heard) and she wasn’t embarrassed to make out if not have full sex with James in the hot tub and have most of the crew know about it. She’s just immature and unprofessional.

I don't think anyone should undergo that line of questioning from their boss in front of coworkers. Slut shaming pure and simple meant to humiliate. It is borderline sexual harassment. And yes Elizabeth is immature and unprofessional and a dingbat and everything else. She still does not deserve that. No one does. 

Capt Lee and James and Eddie had a closed discussion about it. That's professional. That is how you do it. 

• Love 7

Sleeping, screwing, or short-sheeting the bed, the only answer was “yes, we were in the  master cabin together without permission.” Embarrassed to admit they were having sex? She’s 30 years old (so I’ve heard) and she wasn’t embarrassed to make out if not have full sex with James in the hot tub and have most of the crew know about it. She’s just immature and unprofessional.

Did she really ask if they'd had sex, though? I don't remember and this season isn't worth going back to check. If she did, that's assinine, and should hae stayed on the "it's against the rules for crew members to sleep in guest cabins without permission." This keeps the reprimand very neat and clean, doesn't matter what you're doing in there, if you're in there when you shouldn't be without express permission, you're in the wrong. It's not like it's okay to use the guest bedrooms to take a shit if you want to, or go in there and beat off. GET PERMISSION is the problem. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, AnnieBananie said:

The only new person I'd like to see return is Izzy. She is a delight to watch and a capable rockstar. 

I really liked her as well. She seemed more real than a lot of the "characters." (Plus she reminds me of my 27 yo daughter LOL). I had TOTALLY forgotten she'd started as a stew. She seemed so natural as a deckhand.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, spunky said:

I understand why Rachel was upset about the cake. Their demeanor came across as them celebrating Elizabeth's firing.  

Elizabeth was a slacker. I would happily celebrate her firing. See ya!!!

• Love 17
8 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

I feel like the whole cake thing was some major producer manipulations, but even still... It was Rachel who ordered the cake so it was on her to make sure it was cancelled. She said she'd cancelled it but didn't look too surprised when it showed up, so I would guess she didn't cancel, or again, producer shenanigans. 

And as to the celebration? They'd all had some drinks at that point, though no one seemed too drunk, and were feeling relieved that they were getting past the initial awkwardness of the firing. That's how I read it. Not as a rah-rah Elizabeth's gone. Eddie and Francesca were asked about it on WWHL and both said that they were just excited because there was cake.

I don't believe that for a minute. The crew was relieved to get the thorn out of their side and excited to get the crew back on the right track.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, hoosiermommy said:

I disagreed with how Francesca addressed Elizabeth about the master suite (publicly, not privately).  I would like to think it may have gone better for Elizabeth had it been done appropriately (i.e., she wouldn't have had to do mental gymnastics she wasn't capable of to avoid embarassment), but then she's not the brightest candle on the cake, so public or private, her evasiveness told me she knew it was wrong and she was trying to minimize the damage.

That said, Elizabeth has no, zero, nada self awareness.  Or at least she has failed to express any to date on this show.  After all of the reprimands, someone with one iota of self-awareness wouldn't have been wide-eyed surprised at her firing.  

Several people (on the show, namely Rachel) have said that it was Francesca's job to train Elizabeth.  I am a new-ish learning and development professional in real life, and it's taken me nearly two years to accept the fact that not all performance issues are caused by a lack of training.  I very deeply believe that training and education can help people get better, but it is also a reality that some people resist training, their skills may not be aligned to the requirements of the job, or some people are just incapable of getting better.  I think Elizabeth was a combination of all of these things and no amount of training was going to be able to fill the skills gap or the desire gap.

Francesca allowed her emotions to get to her, and even while giving Elizbeth the reasons for her firing, she seemed less than clear (I still contend that Francesca's double mahi mahi entry led to an understandable misinterpretation by Rachel, but Francesca seemed unable to admit that her lack of consistency played any role in the miscommunication).  She could have easily justified Elizabeth's firing by saying:

• After explicit instructions to check on guests every 10 minutes, you had still not done so 45 minutes later resulting in the guests coming in search of service.
  • You caused extra work for your coworker when you pulled all the bedding from all the rooms when you were explicitly told to pull the bedding from the master.
  • Despite being told on numerous occasions to focus on your work, you were found to be constantly in company with a deckhand not performing your job as needed.
  • You mixed chemicals leading to fumes that required evacuation even after being told to take the mix outside (let's not call it mustard gas).
  • The use of the master suite and the lack of accountability in doing so was the final straw.

But I've had to fire people before, and it stinks no matter what you say.

Do you really think Elizabeth would have come to the conclusion that she really wasn't as good as she thought she was? I don't think so. Elizabeth was so dense, it was distracting to watch her. I agree with a poster up-thread who said all Elizabeth did was arch her back and pose. Boy, did that poster get it right.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

I don't think anyone should undergo that line of questioning from their boss in front of coworkers. Slut shaming pure and simple meant to humiliate. It is borderline sexual harassment. And yes Elizabeth is immature and unprofessional and a dingbat and everything else. She still does not deserve that. No one does. 

If anything, Francesca was being diplomatic by asking if she "slept" in the guest cabin. Elizabeth was the one who kept coyly saying that they didn't sleep. No one slut shamed her. The issue wasn't sex, it was that it happened in the guest cabin. 

Edited by snarts
  • Love 22
19 minutes ago, snarts said:

If anything, Francesca was being diplomatic by asking if she "slept" in the guest cabin. Elizabeth was the one who kept coyly saying that they didn't sleep. No one slut shamed her. The issue wasn't sex, it was that it happened in the guest cabin. 

I say this with peace and love that I disagree Francesca has no diplomacy, she hates Elizabeth. Eye rolling voice raised, emotional and in front of crewmates. No bueno.   Dopey Elizabeth might have thought she could get out of it if 30 min of getting it on in a guest cabin is less of an infraction than "sleeping " in it. But we are talking about James here and heck, let's face it he prob is done in 5 min or <. HA. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2021 at 9:11 PM, Steph J said:

"Keep in touch"? Lol, don't strain yourself there James.

I can't believe that someone who has been reprimanded as often in such a short period as Elizabeth has been could be so surprised that she'd get fired. Perhaps what goes around has already come around.

Elizabeth keeps wishing “karma” on Francesca, yet doesn’t realize it may be why she was fired. 

• Love 13
15 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Capt Lee and James and Eddie had a closed discussion about it. That's professional. That is how you do it. 

I see we are at least on the same page.

Elizabeth did NOT deserve to get fired. In my eyes, Francesca should be demoted to second stew because she is emotionally not stable enough to be chief stew. The way she talked to Elizabeth over and over again is called bullying and not professional at all.

Total bad leadership. If Elizabeth is distracted by James, WHY do you put them together in the pantry? 

And there is only 6 guests onboard. Should be a piece of cake for so many personnel onboard.

A lot of forum comment talk about making beds being a hard job blah blah blah. There are only 6 beds to be made!! Takes 10-15 minutes with one hand. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, dleighg said:

I really liked her as well. She seemed more real than a lot of the "characters." (Plus she reminds me of my 27 yo daughter LOL). I had TOTALLY forgotten she'd started as a stew. She seemed so natural as a deckhand.

Continuously snitching on her colleagues. She was simply jealous of Elizabeth because James liked her better. Always sneaking around corridors with her ears wide open in order to spread some rumour shit. 

Always complaining about the 2 guys on deck, going to Eddy all the time as if she was leading a group of 100 people. And what is her job? Cleaning the deck and railing lowering and picking up the anchor and sometimes carrying some food or luggage to the tender. It is not rocket science.

She is turning into a new Malia. If she ever became Bosun, she would be extremely hard to work for. No fun at all, only ass kissing.

What was she so good at? I did not see it, sorry.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Milan said:

And what is her job? Cleaning the deck and railing lowering and picking up the anchor and sometimes carrying some food or luggage to the tender. It is not rocket science.

Clearly you've never worked on a boat, it's non stop cleaning because of all of the salt.  And taking the water toys in and out, making sure that they have gas or electricity to run, fixing them if they're broken, putting up that slide and taking it down, helping clean in the galley, covering furniture and uncovering it, cleaning the waterline, washing the deck, anchoring, moving etc. etc.  Oh, and watch the guests while they're on water toys, help them if they need help, set up for those beach picnics, accompany the guests on any shore excursions.  Stews:   "making the bed" is the least of it...they do it twice a day, vacuum, dust, clean the bathrooms, put out fresh towels, wash all the bedding and towels, straighten up clothes that are thrown around, take care of trash, etc., etc.  Oh, and serve the guests drinks, wait on meals, set the table, clear the table, go on shore excursions, plan said excursions, order provisions, etc. etc.

I've been a private chef, and 3 elaborate meals a day when you're the only person is EXHAUSTING.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, MartyQui said:

Clearly you've never worked on a boat, it's non stop cleaning because of all of the salt.  And taking the water toys in and out, making sure that they have gas or electricity to run, fixing them if they're broken, putting up that slide and taking it down, helping clean in the galley, covering furniture and uncovering it, cleaning the waterline, washing the deck, anchoring, moving etc. etc.  Oh, and watch the guests while they're on water toys, help them if they need help, set up for those beach picnics, accompany the guests on any shore excursions.  Stews:   "making the bed" is the least of it...they do it twice a day, vacuum, dust, clean the bathrooms, put out fresh towels, wash all the bedding and towels, straighten up clothes that are thrown around, take care of trash, etc., etc.  Oh, and serve the guests drinks, wait on meals, set the table, clear the table, go on shore excursions, plan said excursions, order provisions, etc. etc.

I've been a private chef, and 3 elaborate meals a day when you're the only person is EXHAUSTING.

The work you describe is a LOT of work, but it isn' "rocket science", to be fair. Basically if you're willing to work hard, you're going to do fine, but it's not like they're plotting a navigable course around Cape Horn using a compass or anything, right? 

Side note, can you explain WTF the big deal about dropping the anchor is? THey always portray this as if it's a scene out of Apollo 13, but for god's sake, gravity seems to do the work. 

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, Milan said:

Continuously snitching on her colleagues. She was simply jealous of Elizabeth because James liked her better. Always sneaking around corridors with her ears wide open in order to spread some rumour shit. 

Always complaining about the 2 guys on deck, going to Eddy all the time as if she was leading a group of 100 people. And what is her job? Cleaning the deck and railing lowering and picking up the anchor and sometimes carrying some food or luggage to the tender. It is not rocket science.

She is turning into a new Malia. If she ever became Bosun, she would be extremely hard to work for. No fun at all, only ass kissing.

What was she so good at? I did not see it, sorry.

As Izzy has confirmed she’s a lesbian, you’re second sentence is incorrect. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, Carolina Girl said:

Well, I was not the fence as to whether to remove this from my DVR......that confirmed it.  

This means the only Bravo show left is RHONY.  

That’s not a spoiler by the way. I just got the strong vibe. Then the preview for the reunion said he had a big announcement. 

This season to me was the pits. I didn’t care for anyone on board. I’ve never liked Eddie. I don’t like “Chess” either. Everyone else seemed passive aggressive or out right rude. There wasn’t enough humor or fun compared to previous seasons. 

• Love 2
On 2/16/2021 at 12:30 AM, Escapereality said:

Yes but I was saying “like” James. It seems like he got a slap on the wrist and she was grilled and shamed. 

Capt Lee said that apart from the attitude to the cameras about slacking off and being on vacation, James actually was a very hard and reliable worker and he had no complaints about the job itself. And Eddie backed that up by saying how reliable he was. 

Elizabeth fell into the unfortunate role of girl who thought she was doing a tv show and never foresaw she could be written out of it for being bad at the task her character was supposed to do. Flashbacks to Ashton in the sense that their talking heads were probably very much directed to their "storyline" and how they were the hero of it, even though when broadcast together with the footage it made him look like an ass and her like a bunny boiler. But in real time they both thought they were the stars of their season.

Those who missed the WWHL with Ashling and Elizabeth, it was pretty hostile and uncomfortable.  Either a lot more went on between them on the show or post show on social media, or they already filmed the reunion and something happened there, I don't know. Elizabeth was in the usual full grievance mode, but Ashling was like a different person ENTIRELY.  During the season, she always tempered anything negative she said about Elizabeth with kindness, but the gloves were OFF on WWHL. 

Edited by kassa
  • Love 8

I had quit watching because I was sick to death of Queen Kate, so I liked Francesca just fine.  I thought she had a difficult, lonely job trying to wrangle the thirsty airhead and fend off the passive-aggression from the blackout drunk.   The bosun, arguably her staff counterpart, wasn't any support to her.

If it had been Francesca's assignment to order the birthday cake, Rachel would have been screaming that Fran didn't cancel it because she wanted to celebrate finally getting that knife firmly between Elizabeth's shoulder blades.  

In fact, Rachel sneered her "knife in the back" accusation anyway, and I thought Francesca responded to her rudeness as gracefully as possible.  I would have tossed my drink in her face and probably wound up dead.

• Love 8

Wow, so much to unload here. 

Rachel took me around the world with her behavior and my reactions to it. She's such a sloppy mess when she drinks and that scene at dinner was ridiculous. Of course I was nervous she was going to go OFF and behave so badly the entire crew would be traumatized. Thank God she pulled herself together! Then her scene with Captain Lee was great! I don't think she has many people push back on her, she's so volatile that I think most people are very wary of her. Not the Captain though, he handled that scene beautifully. He showed his commitment to Francesca and shamed her for bitching about 6 remaining days of work. What was her potential solution that Captain Lee was supposed to find? How to talk to Francesca? That's on you Rachel. Get Francesca fired? She's not in your department Rachel. Who would replace her?
I'm just not sure what she hoped to accomplish with her visit to the Captain.

Then as she decides to be the bigger person and make peace with Francesca and I was SO IMPRESSED!! I'm so disappointed that we didn't get to see them work hard to work together. I would have liked to see them address specific instances where improvement was needed and exactly how to address those situations in the future in their conversation, but who knows how much was said. 

I think Rob managed to reign in his temper beautifully when he spoke to Izzy last. His opening statement gave Izzy a chance to speak directly to him, "Thank you for that. I was disappointed many times over the season at your behavior...." But she ended up playing his game and just arguing with him. He refused to argue back and, I hate to say it, he came out looking much better than she did. I hate to say it because Rob's a dick and Izzy's a rockstar. But she's new to authority and I trust she'll watch herself and improve. 

James, wow James. You are a cautionary tale for every young lady who wants to find love but hasn't put in the work to truly vet her potential lover.
His Man-Baby schtick was a little gross when he spoke to and discussed his mother. His charm has expired and is beginning to stink.

Elizabeth, where do I begin? Remember when she told Francesca she was professional? That exit from the boat could be put in videos of "How Not To Act" when terminated. It just went on and on, wah-wah, boo hoo, please don't fire me!! She's too dumb to be mortified by her own behavior though. I was a little distracted at her eventual exit, it doesn't sound like she and James kissed and made plans to stay in touch?

Captain Lee's distress this season was tough to watch. Losing his son was awful but his comment that he'd like his son to be like Eddie, aw man, that one got me in the heart! He managed to find bright spots to focus on in very troubling times. I had forgotten his broken ribs, that must have been a demoralizing start. I hope I can learn from Captain Lee and in difficult times will focus on putting one foot in front of the other, do my job, and be a positive source in the world. 

Eddie has fully redeemed himself for me this season. He still was horrible to Rockey but that's now just an embarrassing part of his story, not the touchstone of his character. I wish he could have received his First Officer stripes in front of the whole crew. 

I'd love to see Eddie, Izzy, and Ashling back. Francesca maybe. I think she's a good enough chief stew but she's somewhat humorless and for tv, I think you need to be an entertainer as well as a competent stew. To be chief stew on tv you have to be smart, quick witted, attractive, and outstanding your job. That is why Kate Chastain is the ultimate chief stew (and my favorite Bravolebrity)

• Love 10
1 hour ago, antfitz said:

I understand Elizabeth made some mistakes, but I like her. I think Francesca just didn't like her. 

Also as 2 people were in that cabin and why did only one get fired.....

Francesca didn't have authority to fire James. Sleeping in a guest cabin is disrespecting Francesca's authority, not Eddie's. Guest cabin are interior's domain.
Elizabeth didn't just "make mistakes", she screwed up and made a ton of extra work for every other member of the crew, except maybe Rachel. She couldn't be relied upon to do anything correctly. Maybe that was the worst part, Francesca couldn't rely upon her to do the simplest tasks, even with explicit directions.

For sure Francesca didn't like her but I don't think it's that "Francesca just didn't like her".

• Love 19
11 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

Francesca didn't have authority to fire James. Sleeping in a guest cabin is disrespecting Francesca's authority, not Eddie's. Guest cabin are interior's domain.
Elizabeth didn't just "make mistakes", she screwed up and made a ton of extra work for every other member of the crew, except maybe Rachel. She couldn't be relied upon to do anything correctly. Maybe that was the worst part, Francesca couldn't rely upon her to do the simplest tasks, even with explicit directions.

For sure Francesca didn't like her but I don't think it's that "Francesca just didn't like her".

I think Eddie or even Captain Lee said that James was still a good worker and that was his first offense so I think that’s why Elizabeth was fired but James was let go with a warning. Elizabeth had been messing up quite frequently prior to that and Francesca was done with her. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, MartyQui said:

Clearly you've never worked on a boat, it's non stop cleaning because of all of the salt. 

hahaha....I only work 24 years on offshore vessels. That is called WORK, and not lowering a jet sky or covering up a sofa, nor watching half naked ladies swimming around the vessel. (and no alcohol, or day out etc).

My family is in the restaurant business, and I can tell you that cooking for 6 people is a piece of cake, especially if the longest charter is only 3-4 days....

Give me a break please....

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Milan said:

Dropping the anchor....lol....I dont know either what the big deal about it is.....

I know, eventually it will hit bottom, right?  I do not understand or remember what the term was for how much chain to let out but I guess too much and the boat will have too much movement.  

All the other firings that have occured we saw Capt. Lee do the "we are going to have to let you go," but with Francesca he let her do the talking, we did not even get one of his famous sayings about the scene, I feel cheated.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:19 PM, aghst said:

My 27 year old daughter calls me by my first name in a playful way, I laugh everytime but when something is wrong it is always, Mom, those are never fun phone calls.

• Love 1
Just now, dsteele said:

Based on what we see on all the Below Deck shows, it certainly would seem to be a simple, easy task. But like so many things about the show, what you see is only a portion of what's involved.

Anchoring is one of the most critical tasks on a boat. It's not just dropping a weight in the water. You must 'set' the anchor properly, which means its flukes must burrow into the sand (like a spike). Otherwise, the weight of the boat will just drag the anchor along the bottom when there's enough wind or current. (Not good. Now the boat is free to drift around and crash into other boats or run aground.) I'm not sure about the large BD yachts but on the sailboats I've captained, as you pull into an anchorage you must align the boat head-on to the wind, drop the anchor, then "back down" the boat by putting it in reverse and gently tugging the chain until the anchor digs in.

The captain must also determine how much anchor chain must be played out. You've seen the BD captains tell the deck crew how many 'shots' to let out. A shot is 90 feet (15 fathoms). The number of shots will depend in part on the depth of the anchorage. To calculate the number of shots, you also must factor in the length of the boat. This calculation is called 'scope'. Too little, and the boat can yank the anchor out of the sand. Too much, and the boat will swing widely as the wind or current increases.

Notice also that large boats like the BD yachts have multiple anchors. Sometimes you have to set both to prevent the boat from swinging too much in the wind, especially in a crowded anchorage. This also isn't as easy as it may seem. You have to make sure the angle between the anchor lines is correct for the conditions. I set them too close together once and as our sailboat swung during the night we woke up to find both anchor chains tangled together so much that we couldn't raise them. Had to send a diver down to free them up. Not fun.

Lastly, note that sometimes we see a crew member who has to stay up on the bridge while everyone else goes to sleep. Although there are several things they are supposed to monitor, their primary duty is to make sure the boat is not drifting or that the anchor hasn't come loose. Hence it's called the 'anchor watch'. This shift in the Navy and on most civilian boats is for four hours, so that's why we occasionally see a crew member come up in the middle of the night to relieve someone who's already been standing the watch.

OK, more than you probably ever wanted to know.

Didn't Sandy have an issue with a knotted anchor chain?  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Didn't Sandy have an issue with a knotted anchor chain?  

Yes, the boat drifted and two anchors got twisted.

6 minutes ago, dsteele said:

OK, more than you probably ever wanted to know.

No, I read every word, and thanks.

• Love 9