Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

On 6/15/2022 at 6:39 PM, RealHousewife said:

I'm not even big on country, but she is one of my favorite celebs. I'm a fan of Dolly's music, but even more so her as a person. Never any scandals, just constantly being a sweetheart and doing good. 

I'm legitimately thinking about going to Dollywood just to support that empire of hers. She never had kids, but like Oprah, her empire will live on forever.

• Love 21
26 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm legitimately thinking about going to Dollywood just to support that empire of hers. She never had kids, but like Oprah, her empire will live on forever.

I did go to Dollywood once on a family vacation to Tennessee - in 1992!!! It was a fun place to be, so if you can - GO!! 😎😁

• Applause 1
  • Love 9

Everyone’s on Tom’s side, and rightfully. Nobody likes people crowding around their personal space, ESPECIALLY these days. 

Okay, but everyone in that video saying "they" like they weren't involved... including the guy that actually walked into her 🙄

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Re: Tom Hanks - It irritates me that that it was "Sorry Tom," not "Sorry, Rita." It's likely because he was the one yelling, but still. Plus she yelled "stop it!" first.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:28 PM, Irlandesa said:

That was years ago.  A different movie. Different writer. Different director and a different studio.  The current writers (Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach) have four Best Screenplay Oscar nominations between them and 1 Best Director nomination. Greta's directing. The concept sounds silly. I don't know if it'll be a good movie.  But I do think it's being written by smart, intentional artists who absolutely do not need to be doing this movie. Greta especially.  Both of the movies she has previously directed did very well at the box office.

Everything I've heard about this movie in its current iteration has given me a "I have no idea what this is but I must see it" attitude.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

And buy all kinds of Dolly-centric stuff, and post pictures here!  *LOL*

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Re: Tom Hanks - It irritates me that that it was "Sorry Tom," not "Sorry, Rita." It's likely because he was the one yelling, but still. Plus she yelled "stop it!" first.

Everything I've heard about this movie in its current iteration has given me a "I have no idea what this is but I must see it" attitude.

After Barbie, Gerwig is directing "Snow White", starring Rachel Zegler from West Side Story as Snow White and Gal Gadot as the evil queen.

• Useful 4
26 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

And buy all kinds of Dolly-centric stuff, and post pictures here!  *LOL*

I recommend doing some research before going to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area so you can avoid the local businesses that are not as loving and accepting as Dolly.  Good news is they do not hide it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, RedElf said:

After Barbie, Gerwig is directing "Snow White", starring Rachel Zegler from West Side Story as Snow White and Gal Gadot as the evil queen.

Are you sure? I believe that both movies are currently filming. 

23 hours ago, Jaded said:

Some of the people in that video of Tom and Rita looked shocked after his reaction.

The kid (I assume the one in all blue was a kid, he couldn't have been any more than 13) can be heard saying "I didn't knock her down". He was visibly shaken and maybe felt that Tom Hanks was singling him out for something he didn't do. To be fair to the kid, he actually didn't knock over Rita, that was the man in the black hat. However, I can understand Tom's reaction because he just saw his wife trip because of a set of fans who were not respectful of both Rita's and Tom's personal space. Tom likely just turned and lashed out at the first person he saw, which unfortunately for him was the kid.

Now, further in Tom's defence, none of the fans gathered there had bothered to ask him or his handlers if they could have a quick picture. I'm sure if they did Tom would have been happy to comply. Acting like they did would get anyone angry, not just Tom Hanks.

• Like 2
  • Love 13
4 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

The kid (I assume the one in all blue was a kid, he couldn't have been any more than 13) can be heard saying "I didn't knock her down". He was visibly shaken and maybe felt that Tom Hanks was singling him out for something he didn't do. To be fair to the kid, he actually didn't knock over Rita, that was the man in the black hat. However, I can understand Tom's reaction because he just saw his wife trip because of a set of fans who were not respectful of both Rita's and Tom's personal space. Tom likely just turned and lashed out at the first person he saw, which unfortunately for him was the kid.

Now, further in Tom's defence, none of the fans gathered there had bothered to ask him or his handlers if they could have a quick picture. I'm sure if they did Tom would have been happy to comply. Acting like they did would get anyone angry, not just Tom Hanks.

The whole situation was a mess. I felt awful for Rita's scare, totally understood Tom's reaction, but I did also feel for that child. He looked heartbroken. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Okay, but everyone in that video saying "they" like they weren't involved... including the guy that actually walked into her 🙄

Yes what a jerk.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I recommend doing some research before going to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area so you can avoid the local businesses that are not as loving and accepting as Dolly.  Good news is they do not hide it.

Yeah, that’s the part that ruins it for me. I won’t go back to that area.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

What is the obsession with Snow White movies?  They seem to keep making them over and over and it's the same damn story every time! Can't these folks come up with something a little fresher?  There's the original animated, the live action in the 50's, the ridiculous one with Julia Roberts, the Charlize/Kristen Stewart version, etc. plus a few horror versions. 

But where are the damn dwarves, I ask ya?  Where?  BIG GAPING HOLE in the more recent stories.  If there aren't Dwarves, it's a fail.  

Blech, not even remotely interested.  

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

But where are the damn dwarves, I ask ya?  Where?  BIG GAPING HOLE in the more recent stories.  If there aren't Dwarves, it's a fail. 

They all decamped to Middle-earth, where there's less hi-ho and more axes. More axes = more respect, y'know.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

What is the obsession with Snow White movies?  They seem to keep making them over and over and it's the same damn story every time! Can't these folks come up with something a little fresher?  There's the original animated, the live action in the 50's, the ridiculous one with Julia Roberts, the Charlize/Kristen Stewart version, etc. plus a few horror versions. 

Blech, not even remotely interested.  

In the most recent movie being filmed the dwarves are missing because Peter Dinklage spoke out on a podcast about his displeasure of how the dwarves are presented in Snow White. and the Seven Dwarves so they've been replaced by CGI magical creatutes.  So i imagine that is what is going on in recent stories.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Hollywod has nothing new.   Here is the list of movies playing at my local theater:

Lightyear -- about a toy in Toy Story

Nikamma - okay may be original haven't heard about it.

Jurassic World Dominion -- 3rd movie in the second Jurassic Park trilogy

The Bob's Burger Movie - a movie from an animated show

Top Gun: MAverick - Sequel to Top Gun

Downton Abbey, A New Era  - reboot of Downton Abbey

Doctor Strange and the Madness of the Multiverse -- another Marvel movie

Everything Everywhere At Once -- original, no idea what its about but a friend says SEE IT.

So two original movies, all the rest are sequels, or based on other movies, or a reboot.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
(edited)
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Hollywod has nothing new.   Here is the list of movies playing at my local theater:

Lightyear -- about a toy in Toy Story

Nikamma - okay may be original haven't heard about it.

Jurassic World Dominion -- 3rd movie in the second Jurassic Park trilogy

The Bob's Burger Movie - a movie from an animated show

Top Gun: MAverick - Sequel to Top Gun

Downton Abbey, A New Era  - reboot of Downton Abbey

Doctor Strange and the Madness of the Multiverse -- another Marvel movie

Everything Everywhere At Once -- original, no idea what its about but a friend says SEE IT.

So two original movies, all the rest are sequels, or based on other movies, or a reboot.

Hollywood makes nothing new because the audience's reaction to anything original is no idea what its about, haven't heard about it.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm a Peter Dinklage fan, but is he now the official spokesperson for every little person in Hollywood?  He dictates, and moviemakers follow?

There are always ways to write compelling and watchable movies based on classic fairytales that can stay true to the spirit of the story without becoming a ridiculous and demeaning farce for the performers (Hello, Ever After!).  Otherwise it's just remake after remake with nothing new or interesting. 

And they wonder why so many people stick with streaming services.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

In the late 80s I went to the movies every weekend.   I saw When Harry Met Sally.   Beaches.  Big.  Steel Magnolias.   Flatliners. Rainman. And so many more.  Nowadays you couldn't pay me to go to the movies.  I swear in the past 25 or so years there has been very few movies that I thought I can't wait to see before it comes out on DVD or streaming.   I mean there have been movies I have loved but not too many to make me leave my house to see them.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

I'm a Peter Dinklage fan, but is he now the official spokesperson for every little person in Hollywood?  He dictates, and moviemakers follow?

Peter expressed concern about the way dwarves had been portrayed but Disney said they already had plans in place. 

Maybe Disney was lying but I don't know if there's any evidence that the change is because of Peter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
53 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

In the late 80s I went to the movies every weekend.   I saw When Harry Met Sally.   Beaches.  Big.  Steel Magnolias.   Flatliners. Rainman. And so many more.  Nowadays you couldn't pay me to go to the movies.  I swear in the past 25 or so years there has been very few movies that I thought I can't wait to see before it comes out on DVD or streaming.   I mean there have been movies I have loved but not too many to make me leave my house to see them.

I go to movies pretty regularly just because I have A List and have friends who like to go. It gives me something to do. But honestly, the movies that have been really good are definitely the exception. I can usually tell from the trailers what I will like. I wish they'd make more quality stuff. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m about to make your whole week:

I watched that whole thing partly for the pups, and partly to see if the pups made his accent come out again, to give everyone the vapors once more.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, rcc said:

She looks like her daddy.

Angelina looked just like that when she was a kid too though.  

angelina-jolie-baby-picture.jpg

I watched a lot of movies from the 1930s-1950s since COVID happened and that something I learned was that many of those big movies were adaptations and remakes too.  I was surprised that movie remakes have been happening since forever.  They'd make a movie in the 20s or 30s, then again in the 40s, then again in the 50s.  People say there's nothing original out there every few years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 14
18 hours ago, Dani said:

Are you sure? I believe that both movies are currently filming. 

There is as of yet no release date for Snow White.

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

IMDb says Marc Webb is directing Snow White.

Ah. She's only listed as a writer.

3 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Hollywood makes nothing new because the audience's reaction to anything original is no idea what its about, haven't heard about it.

Hollywood is like "if they liked this one thing, then they'll like it again and again and again."  They will make a different and new movie once in awhile because someone  with the power to greenlight will recognize something good.  And when the audience really responds to a new movie, then Hollywood's gaze will turn that that movie and say "well if they liked that one, they'll like it again and again and again." Lather, rinse, repeat.

It isn't that they won't make new stuff, it it almost like new, good stuff is made by accident and because H'wood is so hyper focused on trying to re-create success via a very narrow template. 

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

In the late 80s I went to the movies every weekend.   I saw When Harry Met Sally.   Beaches.  Big.  Steel Magnolias.   Flatliners. Rainman. And so many more.  Nowadays you couldn't pay me to go to the movies.  I swear in the past 25 or so years there has been very few movies that I thought I can't wait to see before it comes out on DVD or streaming. 

This is me.  Me and my BFF went to the movies every weekend in the late 80s/90s like clockwork.  One week was my pick and one was hers.  My picks would be things like Groundhog Day, Jurassic Park, Indecent Proposal, Pulp Fiction.   I remember at one point her goal was to make me cry in a movie because she cried at a jello pudding commercial and I just wasn't a cryer, so her picks would be thing like Beaches, Philadelphia, Schindler;s List.  LOL.

Nowadays I am like.  Eh.  It can wait.  The last movie I saw in a theatre was Black Panther.  Honestly, these days I am more excited about new tv shows than I am about movies anyway.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've always thought so too, with her mama's mouth.

That's what I see too. I don't see any Angelina resemblance the upper part of Shiloh's face, not even comparing their childhood pictures. The only similarities are the full lips and coloring. She's mostly Brad.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

There are always ways to write compelling and watchable movies based on classic fairytales that can stay true to the spirit of the story without becoming a ridiculous and demeaning farce for the performers (Hello, Ever After!).  Otherwise it's just remake after remake with nothing new or interesting. 

And they wonder why so many people stick with streaming services.  

Peter Dinklage is the most successful little person in Hollywood so his opinion should matter. Rebecca Coakjey a disability rights activist who worked in the Obama Administration  stated that often the only acting roles a little person can get is a elf or dwarf. Disney hasn't represented disabled people well since The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

• Like 2
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Honestly, these days I am more excited about new tv shows than I am about movies anyway.

With so many streaming options there is so much content to watch.  And what a movie ticket and food cost a night at the movies costs more than most streaming subscriptions.

• Love 16
47 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

With so many streaming options there is so much content to watch.  And what a movie ticket and food cost a night at the movies costs more than most streaming subscriptions.

Good point. I think popcorn and a drink is around the cost of a month of Netflix.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

There's no replacement for live performance (e.g. theater, music, dance) but with movies, it's really just screen size. I usually just watch on my laptop but the comfort, the lack interruption, the ability to turn on subtitles if actors are mumbling instead of just having sound blasted into my ears... it's great. And I get snacks because I rarely eat at the movies. 

I used to be very into Inside the Actor's Studio and all that but I do think the proliferation of options and the overwhelming deluge of CONTENT makes it harder to take actors seriously when they try to talk themselves up and wax poetic about their craft or the importance of the industry. Once in a while, Hollywood makes something special. But most of it is just entertainment and most of that isn't even entertaining. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

Maybe if there were more roles for women of a certain age?  It's easy to see the Hollywood appeal of a ready-made story with an older beauty vs a fresh young thing. Definitely lazy though.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

We're basically in a post-creativity era because Hollywood doesn't make movies for under $100 million anymore (or over $10 million).  Then they need to make double that budget to be considered profitable.  Because of the money involved, it needs to be a blockbuster so they don't want to take a risk on an unknown property and go with something that's already a proven hit, as they squeeze as much money from it as they can regardless of declining quality, believing people will still come and see it.  And people not having many other options, do still come and see it.

Most of the writers of mid-budget movies have fled to TV and streaming.  People are also less likely to go to a theater unless it's for something they can't get on TV (the pandemic played a part, but the trend was starting before COVID).  I personally and several other people I know had the attitude that if we're going to go through the work of going to the theater, it better be for something we can't get on TV.  So Hollywood competed in the only way it can, with $100 million spectacles.

• Love 9
(edited)
10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Everything Everywhere All at Once is hands down the best movie I've ever seen. I cannot say enough good things about it. It is absolutely worth the price of going to the movies. And it is original. And amazing. 

Edited by P2C2E
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, P2C2E said:

Everything Everywhere All at Once is hands down the best movie I've ever seen. I cannot say enough good things about it. It is absolutely worth the price of going to the movies. And it is original. And amazing. 

I’ll second (or third?) the recommendation!  I really liked it a lot.

• Love 6
On 6/17/2022 at 9:29 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I’m about to make your whole week:

Thank you for that! I love how he called all the dogs Buster. lol My baby boy Buster died last year so it made me a little misty eyed. 

• Hugs 13
On 6/18/2022 at 4:22 PM, RealHousewife said:

Good point. I think popcorn and a drink is around the cost of a month of Netflix.

There are still a couple theaters in my area that have reduced admission fee days and/or hours. Otherwise, it’s ridiculous.

On 6/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, tessaray said:

Maybe if there were more roles for women of a certain age?  It's easy to see the Hollywood appeal of a ready-made story with an older beauty vs a fresh young thing. Definitely lazy though.

Lots more of them in international movies and tv. Thank goodness!

• Love 5

Last movie I saw in a theater was Dunkirk.   Which okay, not really original, since World WarII and there have been other movies about it.   But, oh well.   But I wasn't a fan of going to sit in a cold theater, with my feet sticking to the floor even pre-Covid.   So yeah I wait until it streams.   for that reason it took a year for me to find out what happened to Han Solo in the new trilogy.   Somehow I remained unspoiled.    

• Love 6