Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, cynicat said:

I'm gobsmacked that JPS is being blamed in any way for Will's actions.  To me, it falls along the lines of saying it's a woman's fault she was raped because of what she was wearing, or that she was hit because she provoked it.  Those are extreme examples, however it's the same mentality.

I'm sad, because I thought that as a society we had gotten past that idea.

Yes and it is always the least flexible people who will bend themselves into a pretzel shape in order to find a way to blame a man's actions on a woman. Often these people are other women.

• Sad 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know.  I want to know what PETA has to do with this.  Were they being their usual asshole selves?

Basically, PETA sued over living conditions of several chimps. The judge order they be moved to ape sanctuary in Florida. The owner claimed that Tonka died and was cremated. PETA got word that it was a lie and started the legal battle up again and eventually the owner admitted Tonka was alive and living in her house. 
Tonka, Chimp Star of ‘George of the Jungle,’ Found Alive One Year After Owner Faked His Death

12 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Exactly. Jada's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. So she rolled her eyes. I did too when I heard the joke!

I roll my eyes a lot, and without thinking. Like laughter, it’s not always a response we have control over.

11 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Rolling your eyes isn't even really a conscious choice?  How many of us actually think ok now I'm going to roll my eyes?

Exactly!

• Love 11
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Yes, a thousand times yes.  He's extremely dangerous.

Is he? I don't think he has much of an audience these days. And that's a good thing. 

eta Candace, OTOH, has been steadily working this last decade. She's pretty extreme in her beliefs, but nothing close to her nutjob brother.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Dani said:

Like all definitions it has evolved somewhat but the basic definition of toxic masculinity can be found in psychology. 

Okay. Misdirect all you want, but what exactly is “toxic” masculinity and how is it any worse than than the toxic hatred of anything that whiffs of testosterone? 

It really cannot be defined until someone finds someone a man has done that they disagree with. 

Edited by katie9918
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Is he? I don't think he has much of an audience these days. And that's a good thing. 

eta Candace, OTOH, has been steadily working this last decade. She's pretty extreme in her beliefs, but nothing close to her nutjob brother.

Candace basically preaches let’s all like each other whatever’s going on, and let people live their lives.

Edited by katie9918
  • LOL 3
18 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

Candace basically preaches let’s all like each other whatever’s going on, and let people live their lives.

And be submissive to men. So there’s that.

• Sad 3
  • Love 13
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

There is huge amount of information and research  about toxic masculinity out there. A simple google search gives us pages and pages of results. For example:

Toxic masculinity can present itself in a number of harmful ways, such as:

concealing feelings and emotions like sadness or grief

putting up a “hard” exterior

using violence to assert power (think of the “tough guy” routine)

being sexually aggressive and controlling (just look at the #MeToo movement for examples)

being a super-competitive jerk (yes, Dave from the office, we’re talking about you)

glorifying violence

isolating from other people

Ever told someone to “man up”? It may seem like a throwaway comment, but it feeds into the idea that showing emotions or being vulnerable is “unmanly.”

You’ve also probably heard the old adage “boys will be boys.” This idea has long been culturally accepted, but do we really want to promote these negative attitudes to our kids? What does “being boys” mean anyway?

https://greatist.com/grow/toxic-masculinity#toxic-masculinity-defined

Are you serious with some of these? 

if these are all the definitions of masculinity, I know far more aggressive women in the workplace alone who happily and unapologetically display these traits than men.

I cannot tell you how many women I’ve heard tell men to man up and take whatever abuse they get because these people are expected to take it because they are not women. I keep telling everyone regardless of gender to report, but men will not officially report unless the circumstances are extreme.

Edited by katie9918
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, katie9918 said:

Are you serious with some of these? 

if these are all the definitions of masculinity, I know far more aggressive women in the workplace alone who happily and unapologetically display these traits than men.

I cannot tell you how many women I’ve heard tell men to man up and take whatever abuse they get because these people are expected to take it because they are not women. I keep telling everyone regardless of gender to report, but men will not officially report unless the circumstances are extreme.

Yes, cisgender men aren’t the only ones who display these characteristics. 

• Love 13
(edited)

If another man insults a man’s wife and/or kids, the impulse to respond  with physical violence is an example of toxic masculinity. If the man responds instead with sadness and hurt feelings, looking at that response as “less manly” than anger and violence is toxic masculinity. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, katie9918 said:

Toxic masculinity and masculinity are not the same thing. It’s not saying that testosterone is bad. It means that only accepting a very narrow definition of what makes a man is toxic. Men are frequently the victims of toxic masculinity. 

1 hour ago, katie9918 said:

That’s a prime example of toxic masculinity. Men being less likely to report issues because it is not acceptable for them to complain or being seen as a victim is toxic masculinity. A stay at home dad being excluded from parenting groups because of his gender is toxic masculinity. With Kirk Cameron the belief that the mere existence of LGTBQ+ people is damaging society is toxic masculinity. 

13 hours ago, Dani said:

Because a lot of people are sexist and racist and will always find a justification to attack a Black women. 

At this very moment a 12 year old child is being attacked for being chosen to play a traditionally white book characters. A literal child who did nothing but be chosen for a job. Another Black women is being attacked for being a prominent part of the new Star Wars show. There doesn’t need to be logical why because hate isn’t logical. 

I understand what you're saying, but a simple statement such as "I don't condone violence" should have nothing to do with sexism or racism. Therefore, she wouldn't have been attacked. 

Agree hate isn't logical. But even the haters shouldn't condone violence of any kind.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how you fake the death of something that doesn't exist in the first place, then realized it wasn't the same story.

7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm sure it could be done.

Trapper John and Hawkeye did it.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1

Alan Cummings and chimp co star are not things I would ever think I saw together.   The whole thing is bizarre.   And PETA needs to STFU.   Although a chimp living in a house might not be the best thing.    Anyone remember that attack in a Connecticut awhile ago (like YEARS)?

• Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

This reminds me of how when news about abusive men comes out, people always interview the female actors that worked with them.  This needs to stop!!!!!!!

Of course I don't hold women responsible for a man's behavior but I hold EVERY actor who chooses to work with a known predator accountable for that choice. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Alan Cummings and chimp co star are not things I would ever think I saw together.   The whole thing is bizarre.   And PETA needs to STFU.   Although a chimp living in a house might not be the best thing.    Anyone remember that attack in a Connecticut awhile ago (like YEARS)?

Not only do I remember it, but it was so horrific that I can barely look at chimps now and tense up when I see pictures of people with them.  If I were an actress, my contract would have a demand that I would never be on set with a chimp, except maybe a baby--not even if Robert Irwin were the one who brought it.

• Love 8
(edited)
44 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Of course I don't hold women responsible for a man's behavior but I hold EVERY actor who chooses to work with a known predator accountable for that choice. 

But I said the women were interviewed AFTER news of the abuse comes out. 

My point was that I don't understand why the media focuses on women who were near men who are now known as abusers rather than the abusers themselves.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Applause 3
  • Love 12

Fair. I've just seen that excuse used by actresses who don't want to be questioned about male co-stars and directors when the allegations were already out there when they signed up to make the movie, TV show, etc. I do think it's up to the media to direct those questions to EVERYONE who works with these people, and not just the women.

If it's around a promotional cycle for a project, I feel like the abusers tend to make themselves unavailable for questioning, or else media personalities agree not to ask certain questions. I think both things can be true. You should question the people who are alleged to have committed the actual abuses. (Honestly, it might be the only good use for that TMZ-style bombardment.) And you should question everyone involved with the projects and make it uncomfortable for these kinds of systemic issues to remain an industry norm. Hopefully the Frank Langella story is an example of these things no longer being tolerated.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I see this pattern of people in power/authority being afraid of dealing with bullies and going after the weaker bystanders instead and I am not a fan of it.

AMEN. 👏👏👏👏👏

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Why not direct any questions to the male abusers themselves?

Or the people who hire them.  If an actor/actress is up-and-coming, their power is often limited in being able to call their co-stars. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But I said the women were interviewed AFTER news of the abuse comes out. 

My point was that I don't understand why the media focuses on women who were near men who are now known as abusers rather than the abusers themselves.

Because the narrative they're usually going for is along the lines of "oh he didn't abuse this previous female co-star, therefore the accusations against him have to be false."

It's like the media can't understand that predators don't pick on every single person they encounter. 

• Love 13
On 6/4/2022 at 11:08 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

The fact that he has an audience at all, and that even a relatively small number of people believe the horrible, hateful things he believes, makes him (and them) extremely dangerous. 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I see this pattern of people in power/authority being afraid of dealing with bullies and going after the weaker bystanders instead (or even the victims themselves) and I am not a fan of it.

There's a great parallel to this in current international politics, but you know, political discussion...

Just wanted to say it happens in all sorts of places.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

To continue on the baby train, Lilibet Diana celebrates her first birthday in a newly released set of pictures.

This is the first photo of her, isn't it? Both kids got Harry's red hair 😀

• Love 12
14 hours ago, GaT said:

Very cute. 

Looks like the royal family can be relieved that Harry's children have the same pale skin & red hair he has. 

Now they just need to pray Archie doesn't get the male Windsor receding hairline!  

• Sad 1
  • LOL 10
14 hours ago, GaT said:

It's the first time we've seen her face clearly.  Other photos had her turned away from the camera.  Those Windsor genes are strong, she looks like Harry as well as the Queen.  Also reminds me of some of Charlotte's baby pictures

She's a cutie and the red hair is great.

• Love 10

This has been making the rounds...

After approximately 20 viewings, I don’t think I can watch this clip anymore — it’s too raw. The initial tight-lipped half-smile, followed by the fake full smile, the aggressive nodding, all while having the glassy eyes of someone who has been crying for the last 24 hours. Jordan’s is the face of someone who thought to himself, “I’ll just go cheer myself up by watching some basketball,” and, despite his brave efforts, completely failed at doing so.

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/michael-b-jordan-smiles-through-the-pain-at-nba-finals-after-lori-harvey-breakup

• Sad 6
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Some deserving people are finally getting what they deserve. These two beat state tax evasion charges. They didn't get as lucky with the federal ones though.

As several people pointed out in the Counting On thread with regard to Josh Duggar  -  the feds don't mess around.

• Love 8