Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: A Cold Mom, A Brother Daddy and a Prison Baby

Pallas
  • Start Topic

I like Candace Bergen as Ben's mom. Jackie's interaction with her was fun. I can't help but wonder if this story with Ben's dad is done and over with as of this episode, though...I mean, if his mom can lie about the fact that the guy Ben thought was his dad actually wasn't, then she could just as easily lie about his real dad being dead, too, for some reason or other. 

I also feel like things aren't fully done with Emilio and Becky's situation, either. I do like their interactions, and if they were to get back together, they would make a pretty cute couple. But Becky's reasons for not getting back together with him are valid, too, and it's clear she's not interested in him the way he is in her, so... 

(And speaking of Becky, I really liked the outfit she had on when she and Emilio were hanging out together at the beginning. That skirt was cute. She looked nice.)

• Love 12

[Insert usual grumbling about we want to see the actors' faces production reality creating what would be a real-life shitshow of people wearing masks when they're alone, and then taking them off to converse with the people they've walked up to, the exact opposite of what should happen.]

I've been excited ever since I read about Candice Bergen making an appearance, and she did not disappoint - great casting for a character with her own sense of humor and dysfunction but who doesn't fit with the Conner family.  Her introduction generated some great lines, particularly Jackie saying, "I'm sorry for your loss, or, if you're relieved, I'm happy for your freedom" and Ben saying, "You must be exhausted from all that alienating" when she's been there mere minutes.  And Jackie calling her "Bizarro Bev" after finding her quite familiar.

The way the secret of Ben's paternity came up was funny; as telegraphed as it was, I still enjoyed the stories his mom and Darlene shared to get there.

And in the midst of the comedy, Darlene had some nice, quiet reaction moments when Ben's mom answered his questions so horrifyingly.

The few moments in previous seasons where the writers lost their minds and presented Becky as wanting to do anything other than co-parent with Emilio always rang false, so I hope they don't have her backtrack again.  This makes a lot more sense, and is a lot more interesting.  But, holy hell, Becky, do not call a father taking care of his child "babysitting"; remember your mom's words when Crystal spewed the same crap: "Hell, they're his kids".

Mark got in a good line in his brief appearance: "I'd like to be the first person out of this house by 40." 

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

if his mom can lie about the fact that the guy Ben thought was his dad actually wasn't, then she could just as easily lie about his real dad being dead, too, for some reason or other. 

I agree.  I don't think if all she knows about him is his first name that at the same time she can know he's dead.  One or both of those things are lies.  I mean, I get it, if it was a one night stand she wouldn't know much about him, but then she couldn't know he was now dead too.  All that said, all it would take is one of those DNA/family tree type tests to find him plot wise (I know in reality he might not be in the database, but for the purpose of the show he would be).

• Love 7

I enjoyed Candace Bergen but I really don't want to see Ben going on a This-is-Us like inspired quest for his bio-Dad. 

Also: blind-dating during a pandemic when you live with a high-risk patient? I know the show plays fast and lose with Covid protocols and I'm willing to hand wave stuff like mask removal etc. But that was odd and that Becky joked about the guy freaking out about her temperature didn't make things better - I was not sure who I'm supposed to think was the greater idiot in that scenario.

• Love 13

[Insert usual grumbling about we want to see the actors' faces production reality creating what would be a real-life shitshow of people wearing masks when they're alone, and then taking them off to converse with the people they've walked up to, the exact opposite of what should happen.]

I'm the greatest apologist there is for this conundrum, but it did sort of annoy me that Ben's mom was wearing a mask outside when he opened the front door then took it off as soon as she stepped inside. Uh, that should be the other way around. We needed some sort of acknowledgment here that she wasn't worried about any of the Conners having Covid, especially given the way she reacted to their house. She does't know them, she doesn't know if any of them are being careful.

That said this was a fairly decent episode (although DJ is once again MIA). Bergen was a great guest star and I loved Darlene making up the whole prison baby thing on the spot.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm the greatest apologist there is for this conundrum, but it did sort of annoy me that Ben's mom was wearing a mask outside when he opened the front door then took it off as soon as she stepped inside. Uh, that should be the other way around. We needed some sort of acknowledgment here that she wasn't worried about any of the Conners having Covid, especially given the way she reacted to their house. She does't know them, she doesn't know if any of them are being careful.

That said this was a fairly decent episode (although DJ is once again MIA). Bergen was a great guest star and I loved Darlene making up the whole prison baby thing on the spot.

I thought it was one of the funniest so far. I don't like Becky and Emilio's relationship though, they should at least try to make it work and she really shouldn't be dating during a pandemic.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

We needed some sort of acknowledgment here that she wasn't worried about any of the Conners having Covid, especially given the way she reacted to their house. She does't know them, she doesn't know if any of them are being careful.

She did say she had been vaccinated (whether one dose or two, I don't know), but that may start to become a go-to line for people taking their masks off on TV, the more vaccines get rolled out. 

It's probably something obvious that I'm totally not getting, but what does 'Brother Daddy 9' from the episode title refer to?

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

She did say she had been vaccinated (whether one dose or two, I don't know), but that may start to become a go-to line for people taking their masks off on TV, the more vaccines get rolled out. 

It's probably something obvious that I'm totally not getting, but what does 'Brother Daddy 9' from the episode title refer to?

Brother Daddy is Becky and Emilio being like brother and sister, a scenario Becky suggested for their relationship, and Emilio said no to.  The 9 is a typo on the thread title.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It was really odd that John Goodman and never shared a scene. I secretly hoped it was bc he was shooting Righteous Gemstones and was busy, which was why he was only in the cold open and tag.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

These masks are really distracting me.  They put on masks when they go outside, and take them off when they come inside.  I could buy Candace Bergen maybe had it on in the taxi and didn't bother to take it off until she got in the house.  But Jackie was traveling alone and she had it on when she came in too.  And she put it on in the restaurant before she got on the bike.  

I find myself thinking about the logic behind this, and before I know it I've missed entire scenes and I have to rewind the DVR if I want to see what happened.  It really takes me out of the story.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, rmontro said:

These masks are really distracting me.  They put on masks when they go outside, and take them off when they come inside.  I could buy Candace Bergen maybe had it on in the taxi and didn't bother to take it off until she got in the house.  But Jackie was traveling alone and she had it on when she came in too.  And she put it on in the restaurant before she got on the bike.  

I find myself thinking about the logic behind this, and before I know it I've missed entire scenes and I have to rewind the DVR if I want to see what happened.  It really takes me out of the story.

I do that kind of stuff all the time. Just mentally wander off and boom, show's over.

• Love 2

I don't pay attention to the promos or the spoiler thread, so imagine my surprise to see CANDICE FUCKING BERGEN IN THE HOUSE! WOO HOO!

No seriously, I've missed her ever since the Murphy Brown revival got cancelled; it was great to see her again, and I hope she comes back, if she's up to it (she had a stroke several years back and is obviously older in general now; I want her to be safe above all else).

I really hope they stay with Becky not wanting to be with Emilio; I don't want them together at all, and she's made it clear that isn't what she wants, either. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 7
51 minutes ago, Pallas said:
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

The 9 is a typo on the thread title.

The "9" was how published sources listed it; ABC's since made a correction, so, so have we!

The "9" is what was confusing me, lol. Thank you.

12 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Did Ben's mom have any scenes with Dan? I wonder if the Ben's dad storyline is not over.

It’s kind of funny I thought maybe Dan was the dad 😂 

now that would be a really This is Us twist 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, UYI said:

No seriously, I've missed her ever since the Murphy Brown revival got cancelled; it was great to see her again, and I hope she comes back, if she's up to it (she had a stroke several years back and is obviously older in general now; I want her to be safe above all else).

They gave her a distasteful character to play, and this show loves those, so there's probably a good chance she'll be back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This show does really well with its snarky older women characters, so if we can't get Estelle Parsons back, I'd love to see Candace again.

I'm confused about the Becky Emilio relationship. Has she ever actually articulated why she doesn't want to date him? Not that she needs a specific reason, but I don't know if I missed something. Is it something about him specifically, or just a lack of interest in having a serious relationship? She's been so inconsistent with her treatment of him that I don't even know if I want them to be together. Knowing this show, as soon as she decides to be with him for real, he'll get arrested and/or deported again.

• Love 9

It was an okay episode. I'm not finding it that funny or good any more tbh. I don't remember them being this sarcastic and mean to each other in the original series and I miss the more family scenes. Where's DJ? I think they need to flesh out why Becky doesn't to be with Emilio because her whiplash is confusing. lol Meh.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, t7686 said:

It was an okay episode. I'm not finding it that funny or good any more tbh. I don't remember them being this sarcastic and mean to each other in the original series and I miss the more family scenes. Where's DJ? I think they need to flesh out why Becky doesn't to be with Emilio because her whiplash is confusing. lol Meh.

I don't remember the Conners being as gross on the original series, either. Storing beef jerky in the toilet and comments on how bad the couch smells? Ugh.

• Love 12

Why is Ben stoned all the time now? Was he always like this or am I remembering wrong that he was a normal guy in the beginning?

I had a flitting thought that Dan is Ben's father, but I don't think even The Connors will go there. Dan would never cheat on Rosanne anyway. I just hope to god that Ben's father is not either Dan or Rosanne's dad. LOL

The masks and social distancing was distracting me too. I get it. It's difficult to make a show realistic with all the restrictions. I wish they'd just ignore Covid exist like other shows are doing.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Wouldn't that be something? I've heard George Clooney is a really good sport, I bet he'd do it if he's in town.

Maybe another Halloween episode where he shows up in a moose costume.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I had a flitting thought that Dan is Ben's father, but I don't think even The Connors will go there. Dan would never cheat on Rosanne anyway.

I have to admit that thought never once crossed my mind, but I don't think it's a possibility either.  That would mean Darlene has been sleeping with her half brother.  I could see Dan having the mystery jacket though.  Did Dan have any scenes with Candace Bergen?  Eh, nah.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Maybe Ben's dad will turn out to be one of Jackie's exes. 

If not Booker, maybe Fred? Which means Darlene is sleeping with her cousin's half brother, which is not gross but still such a Conner thing that might happen. LOL

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Mark should do zoom school in his bedroom with the door locked, because his family are assholes.

No kidding. I mean, Mark is serious about school, while Harris wants to just cost in life and then complain when things are unfair because she doesn't "do the work". I mean, Mark should have been: "Grandpa, seriously, stop! This is how I do school, stop acting like you are video bombing Aunt Jackie or something." No, it's dump on Mark.

• Love 8
On 1/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, ThatsDarling said:

I don't remember the Conners being as gross on the original series, either. Storing beef jerky in the toilet and comments on how bad the couch smells? Ugh.

It’s a new-ish Disgusting trend that I’ve seen  in all media. I read two books in the last month where they grossly discussed their bodily functions. One was by Colin Jost where he spent a whole chapter maybe more talking about how he crapped his pants as an adult numerous times and didn’t know that it was not normal😖 I was like , WTF.  And then all I could think of was, oh my God Scarlett Johansson married somebody who craps his pants. 🤢
I abhor bathroom humor I think it’s cheap and really, have a modicum of class fellow humans. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 1/15/2021 at 2:26 PM, ThatsDarling said:

Storing beef jerky in the toilet and comments on how bad the couch smells?

Yah like WTF!??? Who puts food in or behind the toilet tank?  Grody AF.  And beef jerky?  That’s not even expensive.  This family is gross.  and Jackie with her we are the only Stew restaurant in town. 🤮. Stewwwwww. Gross.  Who wants to go stew?  🤮

• Love 3
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Yah like WTF!??? Who puts food in or behind the toilet tank?  Grody AF.  And beef jerky?  That’s not even expensive.  This family is gross.  and Jackie with her we are the only Stew restaurant in town. 🤮. Stewwwwww. Gross.  Who wants to go stew?  🤮

Hopefully they don't import toilet tank jerky in from the Conners' house at the Lunchbox!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

If not Booker, maybe Fred? Which means Darlene is sleeping with her cousin's half brother, which is not gross but still such a Conner thing that might happen. LOL

She doesn’t have a cousin. I think it’s clear now that Andy doesn’t exist. 

And speaking of disappearing offspring, will we see Big Little Ed again, or was he a two-episode wonder?

• Love 7

I think Roseanne the character could be pretty gross at times. During her many jobs in food service she joked about spitting in the food and not washing her hands. At Rodbells she ate french fries off people's plates before serving them, and when she lost a tooth at the Lunchbox she let Leon (who was the health inspector at the time) believe it had fallen in the tray of loose meat and might be in his sandwich. She was also incapable of chewing with her mouth closed.

However, they could sometimes make gross humor pretty funny. They built an entire episode around an incident of Becky farting on stage during a school assembly, and I think it's hilarious, despite not liking bathroom humor in general. And one episode has a running gag of different people drinking from a carton of spoiled milk and then putting it back in the fridge, culminating in one of the best tag scenes of the entire show- Dan drinking from the carton, having full-body spasms of disgust, and then using his last gasp of energy to put the carton back in the fridge. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Wouldn’t Darlene  and Becky a single mom who just recently started working and Dan a senior qualify for EBT?

they are acknowledging the pandemic so why are they leaving so much out.  Right now EBT people qualify are given the highest amount.   I would buy them using that stupidly instead of wisely fitting for their characters.  
  I adore Candace but did not love her character.  It did however explain why Ben likes living  with Connors. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, geauxaway said:

On Black-ish they had Dre hiding water sealed bags of Kit Kats and snickers in their toilet tank and same with Pops. Even Bow goes: "What the hell is wrong with you? That's our toilet!"

1 hour ago, tribeca said:

I adore Candace but did not love her character.  It did however explain why Ben likes living  with Connors. 

Of course also pointing out by his own mother of him just getting high half the time when he was so pressed on work ethic. Now, it's: "Oh hmmm... how long since I had my last joint? Harris, stop stealing my pot and get a real job." 

• Love 1

I think Becky and Emilio are more interesting as people who became friends as a way to co-parent and manage the fake green card marriage thing.  But they have a chill vibe that I don't hate so if that over time becomes a thing I won't be terribly upset but that supposes that the show has time and I'm not terribly convinced of that.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

My immediate thought was Ben's dad is Arnie.

You just blew my mind.

A young Candice Bergen with Tom Arnold...there are probably not enough drugs in the world for that to happen.

• LOL 8
On 1/17/2021 at 5:31 AM, Cherpumple said:

In a season 2 episode of the original series, when Dan and Roseanne went on a diet, there was a gag with Roseanne kicking Dan out of the bathroom so she could pull out potato chips from behind the toilet and snack on them, lol.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 1/18/2021 at 8:14 PM, Giuseppe said:

In a season 2 episode of the original series, when Dan and Roseanne went on a diet, there was a gag with Roseanne kicking Dan out of the bathroom so she could pull out potato chips from behind the toilet and snack on them, lol.

There was also an episode where D.J. was cleaning the house and he found various dirty dishes all over. He said he found a piece of cake in the bathroom/bathtub, and Roseanne said she was saving it. 

• Love 2
On 1/13/2021 at 11:35 PM, Bastet said:

Mark got in a good line in his brief appearance: "I'd like to be the first person out of this house by 40." 

The best part was Becky's retort along the lines of it isn't about getting out, but staying out. 

• Love 8
On 1/15/2021 at 2:08 AM, Cherpumple said:

I'm confused about the Becky Emilio relationship. Has she ever actually articulated why she doesn't want to date him? Not that she needs a specific reason, but I don't know if I missed something. Is it something about him specifically, or just a lack of interest in having a serious relationship? She's been so inconsistent with her treatment of him that I don't even know if I want them to be together. Knowing this show, as soon as she decides to be with him for real, he'll get arrested and/or deported again.

Personally, Emilio the character has always given me the creeps. I don't like the idea of him and Becky as a couple. Co-parents and friends, but nothing more.

• Love 1