Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

Robert Lynch
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Raja said:

They gave him an out for that one. Before his Captain "sensei" got ahold of him and made him Special Forces he seemed more like Danial-san and Miguel in the diner. Real world, after coming back from being a POW and if he remained in Special Forces he would never deal with a new Lieutenant as they are not in the Special Forces and somewhere along the way he went OCS. I will assuming that he was still a reservist during the first movie since he introduced himself as a "retired Captain" although stolen valor was part of the story of his contractor status when he was introduced back to Johnny and Cobra Kai.

I watched the second Kreese flashback and it still kind of bugs me. Because the first flashback was 1965 and the Vietnam one was 1968. So that's three years of Kreese having to fall in line with army chain of command and taking orders from people whether he likes them or not. And I just don't see him being able to do that.

Also was it just me because the Vietnam scenes looked super super low budget. I mean come on Netflix, can't you like spare some props or costumes or B-roll footage from Da 5 Bloods?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I watched the second Kreese flashback and it still kind of bugs me. Because the first flashback was 1965 and the Vietnam one was 1968. So that's three years of Kreese having to fall in line with army chain of command and taking orders from people whether he likes them or not. And I just don't see him being able to do that.

Also was it just me because the Vietnam scenes looked super super low budget. I mean come on Netflix, can't you like spare some props or costumes or B-roll footage from Da 5 Bloods?

Season 3 was filmed before Netflix picked it up, so they were working on that YouTube Red budget.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

In season 1, it was mentioned that Cobra Kai under Kreese had received a lifetime ban following the events of KK3.  This lifetime ban was conveniently left out at the city council meeting when Kreese was talking to the councilwoman. 

Nitpicks aside. I really enjoyed this season. The show continues to hit all the right notes for me on the nostalgia factor.   

• Love 5

I can't recall if I already posted this before, but major props to Peyton List.  If anyone here saw her in the Disney show Jessie, wow - Emma and Tori/Tory couldn't be more different in character!  On Jessie her character was a spoiled, shallow, vapid, narcissistic airhead - only interested in the latest fashion and celebrity goings-on.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

In season 1, it was mentioned that Cobra Kai under Kreese had received a lifetime ban following the events of KK3.  This lifetime ban was conveniently left out at the city council meeting when Kreese was talking to the councilwoman

Nitpicks aside. I really enjoyed this season. The show continues to hit all the right notes for me on the nostalgia factor.   

That's councilperson😉

I suppose they could wave away that KK3 issue by saying that CK is still legally registered under Johnny? So Kreese isn't actually the operator? Or, they'll just conveniently forget that ever happened.

I am halfway through the season (trying not to look at this thread to avoid spoilers) and I love that the first moments of the season are pretty much parents yelling the exact things I did when we saw the big brawl last season. "Where were the teachers?" "How did this happen?" "What about that neckbeard who works here who was attacking students?" They also just seemed so baffled that they now have to worry about their kids being attacked by roving bands of karate students run amuck, which is a pretty understandable reaction. 

I always have a soft spot for Karate Kid 2, even if its not the coming of age sports classic that the first one was, so I am really enjoying seeing so many of the cast/characters from that movie come back and basically making a Karate Kid 2 sequel for a few episodes. I also hope that Daniel making peace with Chozen and acknowledging that people really can change for the better will finally lead to Daniel and Johnny making up for real to take down Kreese instead of them bonding then getting mad and splitting up again. They're scenes are always the highlight of the show, I just want them to finally get on the same page and admit that neither of them is the "bad guy" already!

• Love 7
On 1/2/2021 at 11:05 PM, Megan said:

Ralph Macchio looks so much like Tony Hawk. 80's colliding.

Watching the thingy with David Spade and Cobra Kai cast and WTF are the boys wearing? So much weird jewelry and monochromatic jacket outfits.

I had a Ralph Macchio scrapbook as a tween, so he and I have obviously been close for decades, 🤣 but I never realized how much grownup Ralph looks like grownup Tony Hawk until right now. I feel like I need to make a retroactive scrapbook for Hawk.  

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I can't recall if I already posted this before, but major props to Peyton List.  If anyone here saw her in the Disney show Jessie, wow - Emma and Tori/Tory couldn't be more different in character!  On Jessie her character was a spoiled, shallow, vapid, narcissistic airhead - only interested in the latest fashion and celebrity goings-on.

I agree, I watched Jessie and the camp sequel she did afterwards with my kids, and I didn't even realize it was her during the second season until I saw the credits. Completely different character. 

• Love 2
On 1/2/2021 at 6:57 AM, moonshine71 said:

Let's face it, if we wanna get real, Amanda wouldn't need to try and get Kreese shut down. With all his "finish them" crap, he'd be shut down in days. How many parents are going to ignore their children coming home w/ their faces beat to a bloody pulp by bare knuckle punches? And I'm fairly certain he isn't getting parental consent or liability waivers when he goes out recruiting. What does basketball girl tell her parents after going home w/ broken tooth? 

"I got it at karate class when i was down on the ground defenseless and the instructor told my opponent to finish me"

"Wait, karate what?"

The show really falls apart if you think about that New Recruits episode and how much some of those kids had to fall through the cracks for Kreese not to get shut down. Like Hawk beat that kid bloody. Does he go home and no one notices his messed up face and possible concussion. Do teachers not notice and ask if everything is alright at home. Does he go to the hospital. With how much attention there is on concussions and kids sports how does something like that just get ignored?

On 1/2/2021 at 12:46 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

That said, I can buy the house fight way more than the school fight, and could see them not calling the police at that point. Beating up the kid and taking the money though is too much. I assume the adults didn't know about it. 

I'm surprised none of the kids grabbed a gun yet. 

I thought the house fight was kind of lame. As far as a gun, I was really surprised that none of the kids in the house getting their asses kicked didn't decide they were tired of this bullshit and grab a knife from the kitchen and really hurt someone.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, Racj82 said:

Also, for never having Amanda be jealous of Ali. 

What does Amanda have to be jealous about, she is generally awesome and super hot. As for Elizabeth Shue well, how bad she was on CSI has probably ruined any future characters she might play for me.

As for the last episode I am disappointed that Daniel didn't finish Kreese off with a crane kick. And I could have done with less Kreese back story. I mean I already knew he was an asshole.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

In season 1, it was mentioned that Cobra Kai under Kreese had received a lifetime ban following the events of KK3.  This lifetime ban was conveniently left out at the city council meeting when Kreese was talking to the councilwoman. 

IIRC, Johnny managed to talk his way into someone lifting the lifetime ban in S1.

My assumptions are: 

1. The body that could lift/impose such bans is different than the City Council

2. The average politician isn't going to remember details about what happened in the local karate scene in the 1980s.

3. Most of the people who know who and what Kreese is had a vested interest in keeping their mouths shut about his old dojo getting banned back then.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

What does Amanda have to be jealous about, she is generally awesome and super hot. As for Elizabeth Shue well, how bad she was on CSI has probably ruined any future characters she might play for me.

I didn't say that she SHOULD have been jealous or has reasons to be. I said I'm glad that she wasn't. I'm glad they didn't write her that. She's generally level headed unless you come for her kids so I expect nothing less from her. It's also a tv show and some things are written in for the sake of drama. Jealousy is also often not rational. People have their own insecurities or worries regardless if they should or not.

Everything involving Ali was refreshing on all fronts. Also very poetic to have the girl who spawned Johnny and Daniel's rivalry be the one to help get them on the same page later on in life.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Everything involving Ali was refreshing on all fronts. Also very poetic to have the girl who spawned Johnny and Daniel's rivalry be the one to help get them on the same page later on in life.

Ali was used in exactly the way I was hoping she'd be used- giving Johnny some closure that he needed, and a sweet revisit to youth that actually benefitted all three of them instead of some super-dramatic love triangle.

• Love 19

What I appreciated about this series is it is willing to embrace the silliness elements of this franchise (and there are a lot of them).  It has a lot of heart and really cares about the characters.  I thought Season 3 was great.

I liked the Kreese flashbacks although it didn't make my sympathize with him at all.  I do appreciate that they do try to add layers to everyone, even those who don't deserve it, like Kreese.  Of course they gave him a wacky 80s movie era backstory, which again totally works for this show.

Johnny and Miguel are definitely the heavy hitters of this cast as well as with the characters.  Johnny still makes me laugh, like when he brushes off rehab.

I enjoyed Daniel's trip to Japan and thought he had a legitimate badass moments when he rescued Johnny at the end from Kreese.

The show is great with keeping Mr. Miyagi a part of it even with Pat Morita's death.  His letter about Daniel was very Miyagi and very touching.  I'm glad that he got to know Sam.  LOL that even he couldn't be bothered to mention Daniel's son.

I laughed at how they wrote off Stingray's character.  Miss Aisha though, I liked her friendship/sibling-like relationship with Miguel.  

Great action as always.  Hawk was a total ass throughout most of this season but I found that I couldn't hate him.

Peyton List was good but I couldn't keep a straight face at those ridiculous facial expressions she was making in the last episode.  I call that look The Tori Spelling.

The return of Elizabeth Shue was great and things resolved themselves the way I was hoping they would.

Very much looking forward to Season 4.  Though it really feels like they are setting up for a final season.

• Love 3

I'm so relieved that Daniel is finally out of that mindset that Johnny operates just like Kreese and Silver since they are all Cobra Kai. When he realized Kreese took the dojo from Johnny, I think it finally sunk in.

It's ironic how Amanda went from thinking Daniel was just being irrational last season to being even more determined than Daniel to take Kreese down this season. I loved it though, especially when she slapped Kreese and then yelled and cussed him out in the council room. Little by little, more people are realizing that Kreese is a dangerous and corrupt sensei. Too bad none of the people with power realize that yet. But I do think it will come to a head in Season 4.

Considering how devoted Hawk was to Cobra Kai, I didn't expect him to realize the truth about Kreese this soon. When Kyler came up to him and said, "Good job, these suckers never stood a chance!" and then saw Kyler and Miguel fighting right in front of him, then saw Demetri get held in place for another broken arm, he realized that all he did under Kreese's influence was become just like Kyler, who had bullied him and provided the initial motivation for him to join Cobra Kai in the first place.

The writers didn't give us enough scenes with Tory's home life to make me feel for her, but I don't think I would have anyway considering her actions this season. They were even worse than what she did in S2.

It's understandable how Robby felt like he had no one after Daniel gave up on him TWICE, then didn't even give him a chance to turn himself in. Then Johnny didn't even come to visit him in the juvenile facility. And remember that he decided to go to Daniel because Johnny let him down in S1, so it's logical he goes to Kreese because Johnny AND Daniel let him down. That said, Robby will most likely see Kreese's true nature in S4, especially if they lose the tournament.

Hopefully Miyagi-Do and Eagle Fang combine their techniques and use it to be that much stronger. Now that Johnny's out of Cobra Kai and it's full of psycho students (including Robby considering how he was in the school fight even before he kicked Miguel off the railing), I'm no longer rooting for them.

Seeing Kumiko, that girl Daniel saved in KK2 as an adult, Chozen and Ali were all great pluses for this season. I'm glad Chozen was able to drop his hatred and improve his life. He says Sato helped him do that, so I assume Sato only said "Now to you I really am dead" to him in KK2 only out of anger.

11 hours ago, benteen said:

The show is great with keeping Mr. Miyagi a part of it even with Pat Morita's death.  His letter about Daniel was very Miyagi and very touching.  I'm glad that he got to know Sam.  LOL that even he couldn't be bothered to mention Daniel's son.

And nice parallel with Karate Kid 3.  Daniel was afraid of Mike, until he insulted Miyagi, from that moment Daniel's demeanor completely changed from being afraid to "I'm gonna give him what he deserves."  And in Cobra Kai, Sam is afraid of Tory, till Tory hits the Miyagi photo.  You do not insult, or in any way show any lack of respect to Miyagi around the LaRussos.

• Love 1

Season 3 truly is a poetic cinema.

8ee37c55f87152824f2f63f9d952baf0ecf77352

51fc9898f3734eaa1f6fdd933c5dc33ebaf97ef9

On more serious note, though, I thought that the first 4 episodes weer incredibly slow and meandering. Fortunately, the show started to pick up the pace around episode 5. I was also annoyed at Daniel's auto dealership troubles sub-plot and the soul-searching Japanese sub-plot. But later it got a very nice set of pay-offs, both emotional and practical, so that was a script well spent.

They definitely toned down Daniel's obnoxiousness a lot in season 3, and thank god for that. I can finally say I kinda like the guy now! Him and Johnny working together at the beginning was great, not gonna lie. And it sets up the finale quite nicely as well.

On the other hand they made Robby into a complete unrepentant jerk with no redeeming values. Which is strange for a show that created a heartbreaking backstory for its main antagonist (Kreese). But really, at any point in ten episodes Robby shown concern for others, took their feelings in consideration or even thought about what he had done (albeit by accident). Johnny, of all people, bears the brunt of Miguel's anger at his injury and Carmen's fear over her son's life. Robby, on the other hand, is petulant and whiny without any reflections on himself, and when he first sees Miguel after everything, he's jealous of his interactions with Sam. No apology, no remorse, no mentions of the accident, no nothing. He's just pouts and complaints, and later tries to attack Miguel again. I hope with all that turning to the Dark Side thing Robby will finally have some insights in his behavior in season 4. But it'll be frustrating to watch how Daniel and Johnny both will be running around trying and save that ungrateful moron from himself, again.

I do think this is a script issue because I doubt the writers wanted to make Robby into complete sociopath that hates  Daniel for "betraying" him (even though Daniel made more than Robby's own father for Robby and his mother), and hates Johnny in general because Johnny made a lot mistakes and still feel guilty enough to be manipulated by that guilt in all his interactions with Robby.

Johnny was, as per usual, a season highlight. He's deeply flawed but he wants to do better so much you can't help and just root for him. His relationship with Miguel continues to be the solid core of the show, and the aftermath of the last season made the relationship even stronger. I like how all the characters are on the journey to rediscover themselves, and Johnny is in the middle of it, trying his best, even through ridiculous blunders, getting in his own way, but going in the right direction regardless.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, CooperTV said:

On the other hand they made Robby into a complete unrepentant jerk with no redeeming values. Which is strange for a show that created a heartbreaking backstory for its main antagonist (Kreese). But really, at any point in ten episodes Robby shown concern for others, took their feelings in consideration or even thought about what he had done (albeit by accident). Johnny, of all people, bears the brunt of Miguel's anger at his injury and Carmen's fear over her son's life. Robby, on the other hand, is petulant and whiny without any reflections on himself, and when he first sees Miguel after everything, he's jealous of his interactions with Sam. No apology, no remorse, no mentions of the accident, no nothing. He's just pouts and complaints, and later tries to attack Miguel again. I hope with all that turning to the Dark Side thing Robby will finally have some insights in his behavior in season 4. But it'll be frustrating to watch how Daniel and Johnny both will be running around trying and save that ungrateful moron from himself, again.

I do think this is a script issue because I doubt the writers wanted to make Robby into complete sociopath that hates  Daniel for "betraying" him (even though Daniel made more than Robby's own father for Robby and his mother), and hates Johnny in general because Johnny made a lot mistakes and still feel guilty enough to be manipulated by that guilt in all his interactions with Robby.

I think they were making parallels between Kreese and Johnny, pre Vietnam. Kreese I still think comes off like Danial and Miguel before Mr. Miyagi and Johnny took them on as students. In that Kreese's Captain became his teacher in an actual war followed by his being a victim of war crimes in the POW camp. Were as Robby had the juvenile hall experience with the ineffective Probation Officer staff.

With Hawk flipping to Eagle Fang-Miyagi Do  the battle for Robby's soul  as the most likely major arc of season 4. With Kyler taking over Hawk's role as chief thug Tory's story besides the possible reveal of her parents being legacy characters from one of the movie is where I am at a loss to try to predict. A 16 year old Crown Princess to Kreese since she was able to fight off the natural athletes recruited by Kress were as Hawk, while trying to hold on as the Alpha, was building to a confrontation with Kyler is the obvious play.

To add on about that staff and the teachers not breaking up the school fight. We recently lost a counselor at a group home in the line of duty. A co worker of mine aged out and left that profession

Like I saw Star Wars with Tory and Hawk being the Emperor and Darth Vader with the over the top karate gang fights I got feelings of Buffy and thus we have Demetri and Jasmine being a replay of Xander and Cordelia.

Edited by Raja
the group home story

So I guess we know how Cobra Kai got its snake motif...

I am so so glad that Johnny and Daniel seem to finally have realized that neither of them is the bad guy and are finally going to start working together. William Zabka and Ralph Macchio have such great chemistry and you can really tell how much they both still love these characters and this story and are so excited to continue it. Turns out that all they needed to do to stop their stupid feud was call Ali in to tell them both to knock it off and to see that they actually have a lot in common. It was great seeing Ali again and I love how they handled her return. She is doing really well, even with a divorce, and she and Johnny and later Daniel all had a nice time reminiscing about good times and I think finally gave Johnny some closure from that part of his life. She basically spelled out the big theme of the show, that its good to have fond memories of the past and to treasure them, but its also not healthy to obsess over the past to the point where you never move on. 

The backstory they gave Kreese was interesting, it was truly tragic and it actually did make me feel a bit bad for him, but it doesn't change the horrible person he is now and the awful things he has done. Of course they give him a super 80s backstory (every other 80s action hero had a Vietnam trauma backstory) that totally fits the shows vibe. Another big theme in the show is how important parental figures and mentors are to young people, and you can see this whole terrible cycle being played out over the generations here. Kreese was once a nice kid who had his worst impulses egged on by his jerk CO (plus the trauma of war and his girlfriend dying) then he went on to be a terrible mentor to Johnny who became an absentee dad to Robby and ended up accidently becoming a poor role model to his Cobra Kai kids, and now Robby is being evil mentored by Kreese because he feels let down by both his dad and Daniel. 

Its great how the show has managed to keep Mr. Miyagi such a presence in the show even after his and Pat Morita's passing. The use of clips of the previous films as flashbacks are really well done and clever, and I loved the letter that Kumiko read to Daniel about him. 

I really liked this season, this show is just a ton of fun, really reveling in the old 80s tropes while also modernizing and adding new nuance to the story. I especially liked Daniels trip to Okinawa and seeing characters from the second movie, it was a great coda to the second film and gave Daniel some much needed perspective. My main issue with this show were some of the pacing felt off, especially with Miguel's recovery, which was basically magic even after all of the drama that surrounded him being possibly paralyzed. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I especially liked Daniels trip to Okinawa and seeing characters from the second movie, it was a great coda to the second film and gave Daniel some much needed perspective.

Daniel has to fly in Chozen and some students from Okinawa for more "secret paralysis" training because Kreese already experienced Level 1.

Random thoughts/opinions:

This was not my favorite season, but I still loved it.

Daniel and Sam are super annoying. I really wanted Tori to kick her ass again, tbh. 🤣

Johnny continues to be the best part of the show.

Robbie is a close second. I'm glad the actor is in his 20's, 'cause daaaaaaaaammmnn 😉

I don't mind getting backstory on Crease (Krease?) as long as the show doesn't try to make him more sympathetic.  I don't feel like they've done that quite yet, so I'm fine with it.

Why don't these people call the police? A kid got his arm broken, and his parents don't call the police? The kids get off scott-free? 

I like the nostalgia stuff, but it can be a bit much at times. I would like more focus on the teens and their development sometimes. 

Fun show, can't wait for season 4. 

Edited by Zima
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, paigow said:

Is there no video surveillance at the dealership? Who dropped the snake? Connect the perp to Kreese and go from there...

The notion they all could walk  into a zoo and get access that easily to the reptile area was stupid.  Also, there's no way an untrained person could lift a poisonous snake out of it's container and into a bag without getting bitten.  Again, insert eye roll.   It would be very cruel to the snake to be used in that way.  They all deserved a fang in the arm or neck. 

I was enjoying this show, and I want to continue to do so, but they're making it harder and harder to keep my attention with all of the ass kicking, face beating, and arm breaking, and the absolute absurdity of it all.  C'mon show!  You can do better than this! 

• Love 4

That was fun once I was able to suspend my disbelief more than I usually do. I am still doing Zoom Karate so I will take what I can get.

So Kreese must be over 70 if the show takes place in a non-Corona'd 2020 and Kreese was 20ish in 1967. That I can believe, there are many Karatekas who still practice at that age, albeit not as violently.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It would be very cruel to the snake to be used in that way.  They all deserved a fang in the arm or neck. 

Yeah, I hated that; I was hoping someone would get bitten.  Of course there were no repercussions; plus they apparently just dropped it in with the other snake with the inference being it killed that one?  I'm probably overthinking it  - I just feel the show could be better with some tweaks.

• Love 5

I also liked the scenes between Danny and the heavy from KK2, who has matured into someone wise and mature. A process that Johnny is sort of undoing. Making peace with your rivals was a theme of this season.

A bit of an eye-role, but I also liked how the girl who Danny rescued from the tsunami in KK2 came back to rescue Danny’s dealership of nice Japanese cars.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, marinw said:

A bit of an eye-role, but I also liked how the girl who Danny rescued from the tsunami in KK2 came back to rescue Danny’s dealership of nice Japanese cars.

I liked it too. Yeah it was rather contrived and a bit too much of a coincidence, but I didn't really mind because it fits into the greater themes of the show. When you do bad things you end up just hurting yourself in the long term, but when you do good things good things happen to you, even if it takes awhile. It has a very karmic sort of theme going on. 

• Love 5

I also appreciate how even though Mr. Miyagi is still up on his immortal pedestial we got a little insight into how he was once engaged in a more violent form of Karate and he probably wasn't perfect. Mr. Miyagi was still an admirable person, but this gives him a bit more complexity.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, raven said:

Yeah, I hated that; I was hoping someone would get bitten.  Of course there were no repercussions; plus they apparently just dropped it in with the other snake with the inference being it killed that one?  I'm probably overthinking it  - I just feel the show could be better with some tweaks.

I had figured that the snake in the car dealership was the first snake Kreese had brought in and this was taken to replace that snake.  I could be completely wrong though lol

7 hours ago, marinw said:

I also appreciate how even though Mr. Miyagi is still up on his immortal pedestial we got a little insight into how he was once engaged in a more violent form of Karate and he probably wasn't perfect. Mr. Miyagi was still an admirable person, but this gives him a bit more complexity.

I mean, the guy was a Medal of Honor winner and WWII vet.  He knew how to use lethal force when necessary.

• Love 6
On 1/2/2021 at 4:35 AM, Racj82 said:

just like with Johnny in the movies, we never really KNEW him. We just saw the evil and nothing else. Just like with Johnny, we see how he got to the point he was at in KK1. But, unlike Johnny, he never grew past his experiences early in life

That is very well said. I have had a hard time reconciling the back story of (spoiler alert if you haven’t watched all episodes) him being picked on by bullies in high school to become the worse bully, very violent bully imaginable (sadly, I know this is common). 

Hubby and I binged watched the first two seasons in December and really enjoyed it, especially since I graduated from high school in 1982 and hubby in 1985. We finished watching season 3 tonight.

Overall, we really, really enjoyed the season (and he is very selective about shows - whereas I watch all kinds of crap).

There were so many great things about the season and other things that were just plain ridiculous. We felt like there were two teams of writers, one team dealt with complex emotions and relationships and a good compelling story and the other team was focused on bizarre fights between (2, 3, or maybe 10? dojo’s).

My other thoughts:

1. Amanda is the best, most awesome character on the show.

2. Ralph Macchiato is a great actor and has such good chemistry with so many others on the show.

3. William Zabka is amazing. Such a good actor. Amazing he wasn’t a huge breakout star.

4. Elizabeth Shue is gorgeous and not Hollywood gorgeous.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I liked it too. Yeah it was rather contrived and a bit too much of a coincidence, but I didn't really mind because it fits into the greater themes of the show. When you do bad things you end up just hurting yourself in the long term, but when you do good things good things happen to you, even if it takes awhile. It has a very karmic sort of theme going on. 

Loved it. Let's face it, Kumiko literally spelled out the karmic theme for us a couple of times, so it makes sense. Great that they could bring back the original actor. Interesting note, she went on to won a Miss Hawaii contest in the '90s.

One thing that gave me a chuckle(I'm paraphrasing)

Daniel- "I think maybe I should buy you a drink"

Girl- "I should think so, I am about to save your business"

I mean, he did save your life. If we're keeping score like that, you might wanna buy the first round or five.😁

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I definitely think Hawk's change of heart was genuine. Aside from looking conflicted about a few things through the season, the moment where he looks up and realizes he's fighting all of his old friends alongside the assholes who bullied him at the start of everything was a realistic wake up call.

Also, you have to realize these scripts are in the same vein as those old feel good 80s/90s movies... clunky redemption stories done in the form of an epic face turn at a climactic moment are par for the course. Total nostalgia.

Edited by jade.black
  • Love 7

I have not seen all episodes of Cobra Kai since the pilot was offered for free on YouTube. However, I do read the comments from fans of Cobra Kai to get an idea of where the show is going, and I am confused about what will happen next. I think Cobra Kai will continue to have a constant level of violence and relationship building that has made the Karate Kid stories successful. The direction I would like to see Cobra Kai go in is the Sci-Fi Street-fighter "route" with fireballs/chi-balls "flinging" out of the hands of kid fighters. I would also like to see a connection between Cobra Kai and other martial art stories that appeared during the release of the first Karate Kid movie like the Last Dragon, Double Dragons, American Ninja (one through four), and Sidekick the TV series. My desire to see fireballs "flinging" from the hands of kids in Cobra Kai does come from my child-side-personality, but in my defensive to those who think my suggestion is ridiculous (given that the show was designed to be a soap-opera) should remember that there was a Karate Kid cartoon that reflected fictional ideas comparable to a Harry Potter movie.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:43 PM, Conotocarious said:

This might sound nuts but there is something about the actor playing Robbie....the mouth and chin, maybe, that reminds me of Lecy Goranson.

No, he's male Amanda Knox.

Or Shawn from Boy Meets World. That's probably a more flattering comparison. LOL. There's just something so 1990's Tiger Beat pin-up boy about his look.

So Kreese must be over 70 if the show takes place in a non-Corona'd 2020 and Kreese was 20ish in 1967. That I can believe, there are many Karatekas who still practice at that age, albeit not as violently.

This doesn't change his age much, but I think the entire show actually takes places from the fall of 2017 to the fall of 2018, with season 3 specifically taking place from about September 2018 to December 19, 2018. They can't let too much time pass in the show because of the "All Valley 18-Under" tournament. Sam and Robbie have been mentioned as being born in 2001-2002 so for both of them to still be under 18 we can't be past 2019. It's just like the first three Karate Kid movies, which all take place from fall 1984 to fall 1985.

The show is generally vague about the year, though. I do assume that part of the reason we don't see much of Anthony (besides the fact that he sucks like most bratty 12-year olds) is that the Cobra Kai timeline is slower. I'm getting flashbacks to the Americans when they'd have Henry sitting down because they didn't want us to see his obvious growth spurt.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I liked the first two seasons better.  I'm not a fan of Kreese so I was disappointed so much of this season revolved around him.  I'm glad Allie made an appearance and there was no love triangle situation.  The lack of the parents (besides the LaRusso's, Carmen and Johnny) is very frustrating.  None of these other kids' parents show up at the dojo pissed off at Kreese when their kid gets their arm broken or beat up?  I found it super lame that these teens basically break into the LaRusso's house and not one kid has the sense to run and call the cops?  Not that they would show up anyway since they basically don't exist in this show.  And then Robbie gets knocked out cold and everyone just lets him lie there while they continue to fight.  It never occurs to Johnny, Kreese or Daniel to call for an ambulance?  My biggest question of this season is:  Where does Tori have the time and energy to show up to all these fights?  She supposedly works two jobs, goes to school, goes to karate, takes care of her mom and brother...yet, she's got enough free time to attend EVERY fight and go to the zoo and steal a snake.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, juliet73 said:

It never occurs to Johnny, Kreese or Daniel to call for an ambulance?

To be fair, Johnny was concerned about him but later he was a bit busy with all that not get killed by Kreese thing. Plus, turned out Robby was fine, as he was the one verbally throwing Johnny and Daniel out in the end.

But yeah, the fact that they didn't call the cops after Kreese attempted to actually kill Johnny and agreed to the tournament instead was bizarre.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, CooperTV said:

To be fair, Johnny was concerned about him but later he was a bit busy with all that not get killed by Kreese thing. Plus, turned out Robby was fine, as he was the one verbally throwing Johnny and Daniel out in the end.

But yeah, the fact that they didn't call the cops after Kreese attempted to actually kill Johnny and agreed to the tournament instead was bizarre.

Kreese could claim self defense.  Johnny and Daniel both came into Cobra Kai after hours and threw the first strikes.  While Kreese sent his students after Miyagi-Do and Eagle Fang, he could claim he had no idea.  He also had a protection order out against Amanda, so he could say the LaRussos were harassing him.  Of course, all of that would be bullshit, but Kreese being a cult leader could get the cops to side with him.

And there's a little known rule in the Valley, when it comes to karate, the law is in the hands of Senseis and students, the police have no jurisdiction.

• LOL 2
On 1/4/2021 at 10:03 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The show really falls apart if you think about that New Recruits episode and how much some of those kids had to fall through the cracks for Kreese not to get shut down. Like Hawk beat that kid bloody. Does he go home and no one notices his messed up face and possible concussion. Do teachers not notice and ask if everything is alright at home. Does he go to the hospital. With how much attention there is on concussions and kids sports how does something like that just get ignored?

This was the most ridiculous thing. You cannot just go onto school grounds, pick up children, bring them to your property and have them fight each other.

• Love 1

So at the end of the season, the cops are called, and all the Cobra Kais are sent off to juvie for fighting and destruction of private property? Oh, wait, lol.

I do so love this show though. As has been mentioned, Johnny and Miguel are the heart of the show, but Daniel's moving trip to Okinawa was right up there. LOVED seeing Chozen and Kumiko again. They were just perfect. And I didn't even care about the contrivance of the woman Daniel saved years ago being the one to save his business. And the tributes to the continued presence of Mr. Miyagi were lovely.

I really wasn't looking forward to the return of Ali, but her cameo hit all the right notes. The ongoing bit about Daniel being, in some ways, as much of a hothead as Johnny add to his character.

I feel bad for Robbie - he may be annoying, but from his teenage perspective, he is being abandoned left and right. Mom in rehab, Dad spending more time with Miguel, Daniel turning him in, etc. But there really wasn't much remorse shown for what he did to Miguel, and I think that could have been covered a bit more.

I'm 45, and fictional Tori scares the crap out of me. What a psycho. Get that girl some help, stat.

Loved Amanda taking a bigger role this season - she's a fantastic character, and a nice dose of reality to the rivalries, and standing up for her kids.

Oh Hawk...I get his turnaround, but I would have liked to see a bit more reconciliation with him and Demetri. "Sorry for breaking your arm, bro!" "No problem, dude!" - all is forgiven? 

Great season. Final scene was just perfect.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 6
On 1/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, Zima said:

Random thoughts/opinions:

This was not my favorite season, but I still loved it.

Daniel and Sam are super annoying. I really wanted Tori to kick her ass again, tbh. 🤣

Johnny continues to be the best part of the show.

Robbie is a close second. I'm glad the actor is in his 20's, 'cause daaaaaaaaammmnn 😉

I don't mind getting backstory on Crease (Krease?) as long as the show doesn't try to make him more sympathetic.  I don't feel like they've done that quite yet, so I'm fine with it.

Why don't these people call the police? A kid got his arm broken, and his parents don't call the police? The kids get off scott-free? 

I like the nostalgia stuff, but it can be a bit much at times. I would like more focus on the teens and their development sometimes. 

Fun show, can't wait for season 4. 

Agree with your entire post except the reoccuring question: "Why don't they just call the cops?" 

If they call the cops much of the show's premise is over since this is a martial arts combat and bullying themed show, not a psychological thriller or romantic intrigue etc. 

But from a "realism" standpoint, it never bothered me because I never even thought of that as a possibility for kids and men whose pride/toughness is challenged. In my lived experience and from what I've seen of others, when the average kid is bullied or the subject of violence, they are too humiliated to tell an adult.  Everyone will know you called the cops, akin to everyone knowing you called Mommy and Daddy like Eli endured before he flipped the script.

The culture growing up was to handle it yourself. Also, many kids get caught up in thinking high school is everything. And don't realize there are real resources outside of high school but much of it is about pride and shame. It's why some kids who get bullied don't report it and end up committing suicide (like those who spawned the "it gets better" campaign). Some others, like many mixed martial artists, say they got started in it just like these kids--to take matters into their own hands and learn how to fight. 

As for men, from what I've observed and experienced, calling the cops to resolve your fights and challenges is basically admitting you lost the pissing match, so to speak. I easily believe they would settle martial arts rivalries via martial arts and not law enforcement. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/4/2021 at 7:03 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I thought the house fight was kind of lame. As far as a gun, I was really surprised that none of the kids in the house getting their asses kicked didn't decide they were tired of this bullshit and grab a knife from the kitchen and really hurt someone.

The problem with the bullies Kreese recruited is that beyond Kyler we don't know a thing about them. Only it seemed that they may have been on the other side of the beatings for a while. Living in a newly MMA obsessed real world the Valley's obsession of Point Karate being their local sport comes off as tame. That Kyler is on viral as the high school wrestler beaten by Cobra Kai does give a reason for him to go after  another MMA base when approached by Kreese.

Of course Tory being the chief henchman is the only one to come with weapons and only Sam, being her chief target grabs from the Miyagi-Do arsenal for defense only. The rest are in their own version of the pre tournament fair fights, even with the occasional WWE double teams when they tag up. A Boyz in da Valley real world like comedy I can't see working

• Love 1
11 hours ago, anonymiss said:

The culture growing up was to handle it yourself.

The show is almost still mid to late 80s in that sense. The only really outlandish fight was at the school because it's just preposterous that would play out so big. Had they done that at say like a end of the school year party - exact same scenario - I would buy it way better. Kids aren't going to call the cops at a party, especially if there's underage drinking. 

Breaking the arm was a little much too. I can sort of take the cheat that Di would have lied about how it happened to the ER, but the lack of parental involvement there is questionable. 

The house fight was kind of silly, but again, as soon as Daniel and Johnny found out they went right to Kreese, so I can buy that. It's also the last fight of the season. To be fair, I think they handled the aftermath of the school fight good within the show universe, so I'm interested to see how they deal with this one. Certainly, Daniel has insurance.

I'm hard pressed to buy that if Kreese loses in the tournament then he'll just leave. The only way he really leaves is if he's killed for me. 

• Love 4
On 1/4/2021 at 9:00 PM, Stiggs said:

Ralph Macchio looks so much like Tony Hawk. 80's colliding.

Speaking of 80's colliding, I think Elizabeth Shue has transitioned into looking/sounding a lot like present-day Jennifer Jason Leigh. Which is funny, because I always thought 80's Elisabeth Shue and Lea Thompson were lookalikes, but I think present Jennifer is a closer match to present Elisabeth.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1