Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Protest, Drug Test and One Leaves the Nest

Pallas
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

'k, I had to wonder if it's legal for an employer to actually have someone watch you pee for a drug test, so I googled. According to workplacefairness.org,

I wanted to smack Harris for thinking her grandfather should be footing the bills for all of them. Even if he could afford to, she's an adult and has a job, she should be contributing to the household. (Also...doesn't want to risk hugging him, but no problem talking to him from a few feet away with no mask. Okay.)

Oh look, Harris has been slacking off and now loses her job because she apparently started caring about protests in the "big city". What? Yes, writers, you don't know what to do with her. We get it. 

• Love 14

Okay, I have no real attachment to Harris, but what the fuck was with her being willing to lose her job over a protest? After the way she scolded her mom about her work ethic at that warehouse place last season, this feels VERY out of character for her (although compared to Becky last week, it's not as much of a problem for me). And I certainly didn't like her talking to Dan the way she did, good God that was awful and it pissed me off; good for Darlene for actually calling her out on that.

Does Dan ever go with Louise back to her place? He can do that too, you know! She deserves some alone time every once in awhile, but he can go there sometimes, too! Especially since she's the only one there and they wouldn't be disrupting their bubble by doing so. 

The Jeopardy! line at the beginning wound up being sadder than intended given Alex Trebek's passing last month, especially since his final episodes are still airing and it's pretty clear that he barely had the strength to host or even speak by the end; his voice sounds so weak that it hurts to listen to him sometimes (and you KNOW this episode was shot before his death, too).

This week's tag wasn't as good as last week's, but like last week, it ended on a less jarring note than the first several episodes' tags did this season (and really, no one will ever top being high in that family like Jackie was in the tub back in the day, so they shouldn't even bother trying). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 15
31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I wanted to smack Harris for thinking her grandfather should be footing the bills for all of them. Even if he could afford to, she's an adult and has a job, she should be contributing to the household.

I felt like her attitude towards Dan came out of nowhere and was played way too over the top.  Dan seemed to wilt in the face of what essentially was an adult woman being a huge spoiled brat to him in his home, in a way that felt like he never normally would.  Had this been a more normal version of Dan, he would have gotten angry with Harris and perhaps later confessed to Darlene that he felt ashamed. 

I also laughed a lot at Robin's line of: "I'll miss all of you, except Becky."   

• Love 18
Just now, txhorns79 said:

I felt like her attitude towards Dan came out of nowhere and was played way too over the top.  Dan seemed to wilt in the face of what essentially was an adult woman being a huge spoiled brat to him in his home, in a way that felt like he never normally would.  Had this been a more normal version of Dan, he would have gotten angry with Harris and perhaps later confessed to Darlene that he felt ashamed. 

Or you know gone: "Well, I've lost this house now 5 times once every decade for 50 years." This year, was almost it forever, so you have a choice to keep it running or we are all living in a car, you self absorbed brat!" 

• Love 11
36 minutes ago, UYI said:

really, no one will ever top being high in that family like Jackie was in the tub back in the day, so they shouldn't even bother trying).

“Is this the sink?  Am I shrinking?”

• LOL 16
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, UYI said:

Does Dan ever go with Louise back to her place? He can do that too, you know! She deserves some alone time every once in awhile, but he can go there sometimes, too! Especially since she's the only one there and they wouldn't be disrupting their bubble by doing so. 

Nice point. I feel like the more time Louise spends in that House, the more likely she is to flee. We could see the early signs of this tonight.

8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I come from an old-school Southern family. Speaking to my Grandfather that way would have ended with me getting up off the floor in a daze. Not saying I condone corporal punishment, that's just the way it was back then.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 16
20 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I kinda of wished Darlene would have said something along the lines of “Me and your aunt may have done or said things but we never would have done what you did.”

I don't know.  Becky was pretty nasty to Dan and Roseanne when she found out there was no college fund.  Though in that case, Becky's attitude was not entirely unexpected, whereas here with Harris, she's an adult and her rage at Dan did not make much sense.  I would think if Harris was going to have that fight with someone, it would have been Darlene. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, UYI said:

Yes to this! That house is bursting at the seams, so why the hell doesn't he spend a week or two at Louise's every month? It's not like he'd be abandoning anyone; there are three other adults there (four if you count Harris, which I don't really). I get claustrophobic just watching everyone stuffed into that small space, so I can't understand why he doesn't need a break, or least stop whining about Louise needing one.

I liked the Wellman storyline, especially Becky stepping up to support Robin when she thought Robin was an addict. But I feel a little stupid for misunderstanding Robin's objection. I initially thought she meant that she was worried the hormone medication she's taking would show up in the urine test, and either out her as trans or contain something illegal that would cost her her job. But later I realized that she was referring to a biological issue that would be noticed by the test observer. Oops, my bad.

And once again I found myself yelling at the screen for another stupid retcon. When Darlene was going on about being such an activist when she was a teenager, I blurted out "liar!" a few times. Her whole high school storyline revolved around her being a loner with bouts of depression whose only interest was writing and hanging out with David. She avoided most people and actively mocked the idea of joining groups or expending an ounce of energy on anyone but herself (I love when Becky ripped into her for not doing her share of the chores). Her one "activist" moment was spray painting a dead cow outside the Lunch Box, which was, as David pointed out, pretty hypocritical of her considering she was perfectly happy to spend the money derived from that business. And this was also around the time she was a vegetarian, yet trying to wheedle a leather jacket out of Bev. What an activist.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

And once again I found myself yelling at the screen for another stupid retcon. When Darlene was going on about being such an activist when she was a teenager, I blurted out "liar!" a few times. Her whole high school storyline revolved around her being a loner with bouts of depression whose only interest was writing and hanging out with David. She avoided most people and actively mocked the idea of joining groups or expending an ounce of energy on anyone but herself (I love when Becky ripped into her for not doing her share of the chores). Her one "activist" moment was spray painting a dead cow outside the Lunch Box, which was, as David pointed out, pretty hypocritical of her considering she was perfectly happy to spend the money derived from that business. And this was also around the time she was a vegetarian, yet trying to wheedle a leather jacket out of Bev. What an activist.

I agree, Darlene was a loner who honestly didn't get any cliche when she went to high school, which was what really lead to her depression back then. Which makes sense, I had something similar, but my depression was also brought on by many other factors, including one that didn't get diagnosed until I was in early 20's. Makes me really upset how the writers are trying to rewrite things.

AS for Harris. The first thought did make sense, I mean she was trying to earn money and doesn't have any. HOWEVER... this isn't like Harris was taking stuff from Dan that he owned and selling it and then pissed off that Dan wanted his cut of the money. EVERYONE knows about Dan's super under water (which is both his and Rosanne's fault). It would have made also more sense if Lousie would have said: "Dan, just sell the fucking place, take the money, divide it and come live with me." Of course that's never brought up, and yet Dan is upset Lousie wants to go to her place for a while. Also, Harris, I wanted money too at 19, but I also knew better to try and keep my job to HAVE money and not put myself into stupid situations where then I complained that I lost the job because I had to protest because you know, reasons. 

• Love 11

I laughed at Harris just immediately up and leaving for the protest right then and there! Abrupt!

I always thought Becky's outrage at Dan & Roseanne about the college money was warranted. I dealt with something similar and it sucked. I mean, I didn't run off and elope (or scream at everyone), but I was mad!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I laughed at Harris just immediately up and leaving for the protest right then and there! Abrupt!

I always thought Becky's outrage at Dan & Roseanne about the college money was warranted. I dealt with something similar and it sucked. I mean, I didn't run off and elope (or scream at everyone), but I was mad!

Right? I mean Becky was told her whole life that there was a college fund. All she had to do was work hard and voila! she would be going to the college of her choice. Getting the rug completely pulled out from under you at 17 is a raw deal.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 16

RIGHT! She was hoping and trying to do a responsible thing to better herself, not have a free spring break trip to Cabo. And, OK, she was kind of an insensitive bitch about her parents' business, but they totally blindsided her!

• Love 4

I hated Harris' attitude and I hate the way they have written her.  Wasn't she going to school through work program? What happened to that?  She works she should contribute to the house rent.  Her attitude was so shitty. Sorry you can't go to the protest Harris but a job is more important.

I hated Ben always getting high. He use to be responsible and now he's basically a stoner.  IMHO he's worse than David. I don't know what Darlene sees in him at this point.

Becky was really likable in this episode and honestly I do hope both she and Darlene do better than working the line at Wellman's.  I can see Becky managing the floor and Darlene in the office eventually.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Nice point. I feel like the more time Louise spends in that House, the more likely she is to flee. We could see the early signs of this tonight.

I come from an old-school Southern family. Speaking to my Grandfather that way would have ended with me getting up off the floor in a daze. Not saying I condone corporal punishment, that's just the way it was back then.

OMG....I don't give a bluedilly fuck what society thinks about putting your hands on your child, Harris sho nuff would have awakened in the intensive care unit for talking to her grandfather like that.  What a miserable bitch she is, she makes young Becky look like Marcia Brady!

Liking Robin more and more.

The Dan/Louise storyline was so cute. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I hated Harris' attitude and I hate the way they have written her.  Wasn't she going to school through work program? What happened to that? 

From what I remember (correct me if I'm wrong), that program was through her job at fauxWalmart. The program was then cancelled or severely restricted and she ended up either quitting or getting fired, and we had that ridiculous episode of her depressed on the couch, which Darlene inexplicably encouraged to the point of actively sabotaging Harris finding another job. Then Harris got the job at the biker store/tattoo parlor, which is where she was when last season ended. In these new Covid episodes it's unclear if she's still there, since she's only mentioned "work" in a vague sense.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

From what I remember (correct me if I'm wrong), that program was through her job at fauxWalmart. The program was then cancelled or severely restricted and she ended up either quitting or getting fired, and we had that ridiculous episode of her depressed on the couch, which Darlene inexplicably encouraged to the point of actively sabotaging Harris finding another job. Then Harris got the job at the biker store/tattoo parlor, which is where she was when last season ended. In these new Covid episodes it's unclear if she's still there, since she's only mentioned "work" in a vague sense.

She apparently was still there when the season started. Of course, in the current environment, the parlor would have customer and limited staff. Plus, the protests were way way off. While they were still going on and more now with the post elections. It just made no sense and Harris has never ONCE talked about any interest. She has acted more of: "I should have money and fuck anyone else who wants because I want it because I'm Harris!"

• Love 7

I do not see Dan selling the house.  Even though the show has chosen to make Louise the love-of-Dans-life, that house is where he lived decades with Roseanne. 

Louise has grown on me, but she’s still not been around THAT long for Dan to be putting her picture and cologne on pillows so he can sleep.   Dan also doesn’t need to act like a 5 year old because she wants to go home some nights.   We went from him begging her to give him a second chance when he wasn’t  ready to so do much as date to living together.  None of the offspring has said one negative word about Louise sleeping in Roseanne’s bed.  You know very well the Conner offspring would have had screaming matches about it. 

I think we got our answer about Andy last night.  Mention of Jackie being old enough for great grandchildren and not one word about Andy.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Cherpumple said:

She lost her job at Fauxmart because they replaced her with robots (something that was a real thing which Walmart is getting rid of, last I heard, in favor of actual people because somehow they realized real people can count inventory, too??). But the show hasn't mentioned that (I thought maybe they'd have the fictional store do the same and she'd get her job back, though with covid/money concerns the school program might get suspended, anyway).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I really hate the character of Harris!  I would think after being raised in this family living paycheck to paycheck for the last 18+ years, Harris would have realized she wasn't going to have anything handed to her without working for it.  She would have to get a job, pay for her own college education and help out when she became an adult. 

I would have told her to pack her bags for disrespecting her grandfather who owes her nothing financially!  He took Harris, Mark and Darlene in for free up until recently.  If it wasn't for him, they would be out on the streets.

What really frustrates me with Darlene's kids - mostly Harris - is how they blame Darlene and/or the Connors for not being financially stable.   What about David?  I know he's not in the show, but a throw away line once in a while about how he's a deadbeat, etc would at least acknowledge the fact that he doesn't, and never has helped out all these years. 

• Love 18
27 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I really hate the character of Harris!  I would think after being raised in this family living paycheck to paycheck for the last 18+ years, Harris would have realized she wasn't going to have anything handed to her without working for it.  She would have to get a job, pay for her own college education and help out when she became an adult. 

I would have told her to pack her bags for disrespecting her grandfather who owes her nothing financially!  He took Harris, Mark and Darlene in for free up until recently.  If it wasn't for him, they would be out on the streets.

What really frustrates me with Darlene's kids - mostly Harris - is how they blame Darlene and/or the Connors for not being financially stable.   What about David?  I know he's not in the show, but a throw away line once in a while about how he's a deadbeat, etc would at least acknowledge the fact that he doesn't, and never has helped out all these years. 

I agree. Darlene should at least mention some reason why he's not contributing. I think if it were Becky, she'd take him to court for back child support.

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Right David is NEVER brought up in any shape or form. Another thing is, it was barely 3 years ago, they were doing fine, outside David running out on them and then Darelene losing her job, which started this mess. You can expect us to believe that Harris would be blaming everyone for these problems if she really KNEW her parents. She comes off as an idiot. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Louise has grown on me, but she’s still not been around THAT long for Dan to be putting her picture and cologne on pillows so he can sleep.   Dan also doesn’t need to act like a 5 year old because she wants to go home some nights.   We went from him begging her to give him a second chance when he wasn’t  ready to so do much as date to living together.  None of the offspring has said one negative word about Louise sleeping in Roseanne’s bed.  You know very well the Conner offspring would have had screaming matches about it. 

It would at least be awkward sometimes for some of them.  They handled the pace and trajectory of Dan and Louise's relationship so well ... until they actually got together, and then it moved at warp speed, and, other than a brief freak-out from Jackie, it's just been smooth sailing, with everyone acting like she's part of the family.  That's just not realistic, even though they like her and are happy that he's able to be happy with someone else; there will be twinges from time to time, and another woman regularly being there - on Mom's side of the bed, standing at Mom's stove, etc. - is going to trigger one of those twinges.

They even had Darlene giving her the rent money.  It was to make the "while she was shaving her legs" joke to continue the refrain about how there's no privacy in the house, but that's something you do if it's your mom and you're paying rent to the two of them.  Not when it's your dad's girlfriend who is just quarantining in his house.

• Love 6

Funny how the little things grab your attention.  During the original run, John Goodman was such a big man that while in the kitchen, it was more natural to turn a chair around, and sit on it backwards.  You've seen him do it a hundred times.

Last night when Dan was talking with Louise in the Kitchen, he grabbed a chair to do the same thing.

Brought me right back to the nineties!  We were all a bit younger then.

image.png.f6c2f3b4d0630f3fa34a149ca9325a76.png

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

That's right. I had forgotten about that. They are so vague about where Harris is working now.

If Harris did want to go to school she could have done it by loans. Yeah it would put her in debt but she would have to weigh the pros and cons and see if it was worth it.  Expecting for her parents to pay for schooling especially with parents as poor as hers is really unrealistic.

And I agree with the poster above.  There should be a throwaway line about David here and there. Why Darlene doesnt get some sort of support from him is beyond me.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Roseanne became a favorite of mine to watch after I would be out of class at college.  

And this is what's great about watching now.  It reminds you of where you were the first time you watched.  I can promise you, years from now you will notice a clip of Roseanne somewhere and it will STILL remind you of watching when you got out of class at college.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I liked the Wellman storyline, especially Becky stepping up to support Robin when she thought Robin was an addict. But I feel a little stupid for misunderstanding Robin's objection. I initially thought she meant that she was worried the hormone medication she's taking would show up in the urine test, and either out her as trans or contain something illegal that would cost her her job. But later I realized that she was referring to a biological issue that would be noticed by the test observer. Oops, my bad.

I had the exact same thought process. I kept thinking hormones aren't something you can be fired for. If so then every woman on the pill would be at risk. I hadn't even considered the physical issue and then suddenly it became obvious.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's also not sitting right to make "Share the Wealth" the nationwide protest movement Harris is compelled to take to the streets in support of, when this is the year of Black Lives Matter, not Occupy Wall Street.  Both worthy causes, and wealth disparity is much more personally relevant to Harris, but they're purporting to set these characters in present-day reality, so this feels like a deliberate sidestep.

It's a sidestep that I - as a Black viewer - am particularly grateful for. There's a lot of tension in the movement right now between Black activists and white "allies." This show is not the one to tackle that and even if it was, Harris is the worst character for that. She can stick with Bootleg Occupy.

• Love 19

I'm glad I'm not the only confused one regarding where Harris works. And she does come across as a spoiled rotten teenager who would have been most likely backhanded in my childhood home. Harris does get confusing messages from Darlene, who encourages her to go and protest, then tries to compensate when Harris is going to get fired. It's like she's living out her teenage dream (the dream where Darlene was out protesting instead of painting dead cows on the sidewalk, as opposed to Roseanne burning her bra). 

I'm sure Dan feels like a piece of crap having to ask his family members for money. The guy has lost his wife, nearly lost his home, lost the majority of his business and is dealing with a bunch of people in his house all the time. Most older people look forward to a little peace and quiet. 

I'm getting to dislike Ben more, between the getting high in the driveway and the facial hair. Pretty soon he's just going to turn into a weed-smoking wolfman. Can't he DO anything to help ease the load? Maybe help Dan do sheetrock or deliver food for Jackie? 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Shall I just open every episode’s reaction with “Insert Mask Frustration Here”?  I’m really trying to let it go, but it’s hard.

I am most definitely not one of those "mask police" people.  But that scene in the bathroom where everybody pulled down their masks to speak, then re-masked?  That was beyond absurd.

At the beginning of the show Becky got on her phone and said something like "Emilio?  Put Beverly Rose on" all in earshot of Robin.  I thought that was going to lead to Robin realizing Emilio was in the country illegally and end up getting him deported.  But I guess her and Becky are on better terms now, so probably not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, rmontro said:

At the beginning of the show Becky got on her phone and said something like "Emilio?  Put Beverly Rose on" all in earshot of Robin.  I thought that was going to lead to Robin realizing Emilio was in the country illegally and end up getting him deported.  But I guess her and Becky are on better terms now, so probably not.

We barely know Robin, but nothing about her thus far suggests to me she would do something so vindictive as turn an undocumented immigrant in to ICE for no reason.  He doesn't work at Wellman, so he and his immigration status are of no consequence to her.  And Robin's issues with Becky are professional, not personal, so there wouldn't be any reason for her to go after Becky in such an ugly way; if she gets too fed up with her mediocre job performance, she'll just fire her, not blow up her personal life for sport.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

We barely know Robin, but nothing about her thus far suggests to me she would do something so vindictive as turn an undocumented immigrant in to ICE for no reason.  He doesn't work at Wellman, so he and his immigration status are of no consequence to her.  And Robin's issues with Becky are professional, not personal, so there wouldn't be any reason for her to go after Becky in such an ugly way; if she gets too fed up with her mediocre job performance, she'll just fire her, not blow up her personal life for sport.

Yeah, I don't see her doing that either.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, SHD said:

Were we supposed to be surprised that Robin is trans?

I think that was more an issue for clarifying for the audience. I think some of us knew right away but others might not. Especially if your exposure to trans people has been minimal. Some might've thought she was just a tall cis woman (Is that the right term?) with a deep voice a la Bea Arthur. This way the show made it plain and we heard it directly from the character.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I'm sure Dan feels like a piece of crap having to ask his family members for money. The guy has lost his wife, nearly lost his home, lost the majority of his business and is dealing with a bunch of people in his house all the time. Most older people look forward to a little peace and quiet. 

I'm probably giving this too much thought but, based on references from the original show, Dan should be at least 65 now, probably closer to 70 (assuming the re-boot progressed in some semblance of real time). Despite how badly he managed his finances, Dan should be able to enjoy some semblance of retirement at this point of his life, not worrying about providing room-and-board for his grown-ass children and their offspring. But he's always been a decent guy, so here we are.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 14

Sure Harris behaved like an ungrateful brat. But remembering what Louise had to say about how the Connors treated her cooking I guess the words 'apple' and 'tree' need to be added to the discussion. And since when did Dan become so needy? 

Good episode for Becky, who showed something like growth when she offered to help Robin.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

We barely know Robin, but nothing about her thus far suggests to me she would do something so vindictive as turn an undocumented immigrant in to ICE for no reason. 

Be that as it may, it was a little reckless of Becky to be throwing Emilio's name around so loosely, considering they're trying to keep his presence secret.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I'm probably giving this too much thought but, based on references from the original show, Dan should be at least 65 now, probably closer to 70 (assuming the re-boot progressed in some semblance of real time). Despite how badly he managed his finances, Dan should be able to enjoy some semblance of retirement at this point of his life, not worrying about providing room-and-board for his grown-ass children and their offspring. But he's always been a decent guy, so here were are.

At the very worst, after Roseanne died, he could have sold the house and moved into an income based senior apartment if it’s that hard for him to keep up his mortgage payments.  He’s got to be getting SSI, no?  I know it’s not a lot (SSI) and all that, but he shouldn’t be forced to stay in that albatross of a house with his ungrateful and non-contributing progeny.  Pride be damned.  And now to top it all off his know it all bitch of a granddaughter is disrespecting him.  Nice family.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Be that as it may, it was a little reckless of Becky to be throwing Emilio's name around so loosely, considering they're trying to keep his presence secret.

But Robin presumably knows nothing about him, so knowing he's in town wouldn't mean anything to her even if she was nasty enough to act on it -- to Robin, he's just some dude named Emilio on the other end of the phone, as there's nothing to indicate this random supervisor knows the history of an employee's faux husband to think, "Wait, he's supposed to be in Mexico."

• Love 8
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I was rolling my eyes at everyone sitting around glued to a panoramic view of a protest and shushing each other so they could hear every word of...what, exactly? I don't believe there was a speech being made or a story being told, it was just a crowd view of people and their signs.

Agreed on Becky's outrage back in the day. Her parents talked a lot about their kids doing better in life than they did, but they gave her no tools to do so. And their impulsiveness with huge life decisions didn't match their stage of life (bike shop, that house flipping scam and then the LunchBox, which did end up working out). Raising 3 kids with limited money isn't really the time to be bold and follow your dreams of opening a high-risk, specialty shop in a small town full of broke people with no money for luxuries. 

Harris' outburst didn't have nearly as much cause. I can see being frustrated with Darlene for basically reliving the mistakes of her own parents and putting Harris on a path to do the same, but the way she spoke to Dan was unforgivable. 

And I really don't understand what her participation in the protests instead of working was supposed to accomplish. Was the 1% going to turn around and redistribute all of their wealth to the people in the crowd? I get protesting, but you don't put your entire life on hold to do it.

I still can hardly bear to look at Ben with that stuff on his face, but he cracks me up each week.  This time, I liked “If I ever get back in the one percent I’m going to oppress all you people”.  Also tripping himself out with his deep thoughts and Darlene calling him Spicoli.

I think the beard suits him and was horrified when he shaved it off. My favorite line was when Darlene said she protested female genital mutilation and he croaks out "who's for THAT??"

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I think the beard suits him and was horrified when he shaved it off.

A beard is one thing.  I hate facial hair, and think he, like everyone, looked a lot better without it altogether, but the beard he used to have is a look that just happens to not be my cup of tea.  Whatever feral thing is growing out of his face these days is something else and there's nothing about the pandemic that - unlike people being unable to get their hair professionally cut - prohibits him from taming it.  It does accurately reflect his getting stoned in the driveway of his girlfriend's father's house he lives in, no future in sight, attitude.  But he looks so awful I'm almost distracted from his funny lines.  Only almost, though - they're perfectly delivered, so I stay present.

• Love 8

Liking Robin more and more.  Hating Harris more and more.  Ben needs a shave and to get off the dope as his main pass time.

Dan has the CPAP machine he must sleep with each night or he might die.  Those things are not overnight-rendezvous portable, although I'm sure Louise would be kind enough to help him haul it in and out of her car.  But Louise has not asked Dan to stay over at her place and escape the zoo; she wants her alone time.  Dan is acting like a sick puppy dog if he can't have his woman beside him every night.  Dan, you're not married.

I wish the One Leaves The Nest part had been permanent, especially after that disgraceful disrespect to Harris' grandfather.  David seems to be gone permanently, retconned into Peace Corp wandering in a foreign country perhaps?  Maybe that's why Darlene doesn't consider suing for child support, at least for Mark, and doesn't mention it.  You can only mention absent characters so many times before it gets annoying.  Maybe that's why Andy has never existed in reboot Roseanne and on into The Conners.

• Love 8

In addition to Harris's overall bratiness, her logic of "you're not my grandpa, you're my landlord (so I can treat you like crap)" is ridiculous. In what world does she think she can treat a landlord like utter garbage and not expect to be thrown out the second her lease is up? I don't like Harris, but I blame Darlene's inconsistent parenting for a lot of her bad attitude. I get whiplash trying to follow Darlene's chain of logic.

For a while I was filled with dread that Robin would actually quit, and Darlene would replace her in a management role that she is clearly not qualified for (despite her own delusions). I do want this family to get a "win" soon, but not that one.

I'm also getting annoyed at Dan's neediness with Louise, but honestly it feels fairly realistic. I think widowed/divorced men are statistically more likely to jump into serious relationships sooner than woman are, and on top of that, he was with Roseanne since high school. Having a live-in partner is basically all he knows, and I can understand why he'd want to latch onto that situation again, to regain some sense of normality.

• Love 22
6 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I'm probably giving this too much thought but, based on references from the original show, Dan should be at least 65 now, probably closer to 70 (assuming the re-boot progressed in some semblance of real time). Despite how badly he managed his finances, Dan should be able to enjoy some semblance of retirement at this point of his life, not worrying about providing room-and-board for his grown-ass children and their offspring. But he's always been a decent guy, so here we are.

I agree.  Falling on his sword because of his over-exaggerated pride in feeling responsible to support all those adults when he himself is the one that they should be supporting at this point is beyond being a decent guy, it's being downright masochistic, especially after bratty "you're my landlord" outbursts from the entitlement section Harris.  Geesh by that time in a parent's life they should at least be able to count on their children and grandchildren not to still be sucking off of them when they need help, for whatever reason.  I thought the show wouldn't push that angle so hard again, but I guess not, and it is getting under my skin more with the way they keep pushing it.  I get it that everyone in the household is having financial trouble but come on already, he's being ridiculous and this kind of thing only encourages those people who expect the older generation to just keep supporting younger adults, especially when they themselves don't have the means.  Like I don't think he would be any less of a "decent guy" if he expected them to contribute and didn't continue to act all selfless to his own detriment, but the show seems to want me to admire him for it.  I guess that's what is expected of low income senior citizens these days.  Wow, how times have changed.

But this episode also got under my skin in pushing the fallacy of someone having to watch you pee - How second grade of them resorting to that for a plot line.  I've taken such tests for work and they are usually administered by a third party in a medical testing facility, so no need for employees to be involved.  How ridiculous, but of course they supposedly have "poetic license" because, well, sitcom.  I'm just so over these tiresome departures from reality that end up spreading misinformation in shows like this.  BTW, even at the medical testing facility no one watches you pee, but they do use a lot of other methods to make sure you didn't switch the pee, such as using a one person rest room with someone standing just outside so no one else can go in, making you take off all of your layers of clothing in front of the tester except a single layer like shirt and pants, having you put all your extra clothes, purse and/or pocket contents in a locker and even taking the temperature of the pee you give them to be sure it's within a certain range so they are pretty sure it just came out of someone's body.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 8

So Darlene is a pothead too? Has this been going or new since they have added the pee patrol storyline and is she going to expect Becky to cover for her when she’s randomly chosen to be tested or be an upstanding employee like she was when she docked Becky’s pay?

• Love 6

On a side note, Harris is trash.  I just wanted to scream maybe your “landlord” would have had money if he hadn’t been taking care of you, your brother, your mother, her boyfriend, not to mention your raggedy-ass daddy from childhood to adulthood.  You know the one that didn’t take care of you.  This episode really made want to fight a fictional character.  

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 16