Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Protest, Drug Test and One Leaves the Nest

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Re Harris and teenage Becky. Becky and Mark were at least able to support themselves. Harris is an adult who expects to mooch off her elderly grandfather. Darlene even told her that she and her ideals can live in her tent. But like so many posers, she ran home but still whining about how they are soooooo unfair and mean.

What happened to Odessa? I wouldn’t be surprised if even she got tired of Harris leeching off her.

• Love 7
On 12/2/2020 at 7:29 PM, ams1001 said:

I wanted to smack Harris for thinking her grandfather should be footing the bills for all of them. Even if he could afford to, she's an adult and has a job, she should be contributing to the household.

Dan saying he's embarrassed for having to ask for rent...I said it before about this show, he shouldn't have to ask. Adult children/grandchildren with jobs, even if the house wasn't in danger of foreclosure, you help out.

Of course my husband and father-in-law fought over who pays the check back when we went to restaurants.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, nokat said:

Dan saying he's embarrassed for having to ask for rent...I said it before about this show, he shouldn't have to ask. Adult children/grandchildren with jobs, even if the house wasn't in danger of foreclosure, you help out.

Of course my husband and father-in-law fought over who pays the check back when we went to restaurants.

He shouldn't even think of it as asking for rent because he needs the money. He should think of it as expecting the other adults living in his house to take some responsibility and pay their share of the expenses (especially the one who is not even related to him, or actually married to his daughter...is Ben even working at all? But I guess he has money for pot...). My parents made me pay rent after college (only what I could actually afford), and it wasn't because they couldn't afford to let me live there for free (they're not rich but they're certainly comfortable, and they paid the house off many years ago). And I never expected otherwise.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My parents made me pay rent after college (only what I could actually afford), and it wasn't because they couldn't afford to let me live there for free (they're not rich but they're certainly comfortable, and they paid the house off many years ago). And I never expected otherwise.

Yes, I lived at home briefly while working, and I paid room and board, even though my mom wasn't struggling to pay bills. I didn't pay as much as I would have at otherwise, and I did a lot of the housework.

They haven't shown who does the housework in the Conner house household.

• Love 3
On 12/2/2020 at 8:48 PM, RocknRollZombie said:

At this point Harris has no redeeming qualities what so ever.

I feel like the writers are making her into Darlene 2.0, and it isn't working.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I get it that everyone in the household is having financial trouble but come on already, he's being ridiculous and this kind of thing only encourages those people who expect the older generation to just keep supporting younger adults, especially when they themselves don't have the means.  Like I don't think he would be any less of a "decent guy" if he expected them to contribute and didn't continue to act all selfless to his own detriment, but the show seems to want me to admire him for it.  I guess that's what is expected of low income senior citizens these days.  Wow, how times have changed.

One issue of Dan's finances that isn't brought up, but should be so that people can learn in real life:

Dan usually was self employed and had side jobs.  The problem with that is there was no retirement being built up.  And worse than that-- he wasn't paying into social security so that blanket is not there in his old age.

We are seeing this happening right now.  Gig workers who were driving for Uber, Lyft, and others are finding out the hard way that there is no safety net for them.  This show can be a bit depressing at times, but they do a good job of showing what happens to people when they get the rug pulled out from under them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

He shouldn't even think of it as asking for rent because he needs the money. He should think of it as expecting the other adults living in his house to take some responsibility and pay their share of the expenses (especially the one who is not even related to him, or actually married to his daughter...is Ben even working at all? But I guess he has money for pot...). My parents made me pay rent after college (only what I could actually afford), and it wasn't because they couldn't afford to let me live there for free (they're not rich but they're certainly comfortable, and they paid the house off many years ago). And I never expected otherwise.

Yes, otherwise you get adults who think there's such a thing as a "free" house. My now ex-husband was one of those who never made the connection that even if you lived with your parents, the housing and food isn't free for THEM and if you're an adult choosing to move in with them to "save money" for yourself, you're still costing them money.

The fact that Darlene AND Becky are back living in Dan's house in their 40s, that message clearly didn't land.

And yeah, what IS Ben doing? He has no children, so there's nothing holding him back from taking any kind of day job just to bring money into the household. 

• Love 8

And yeah, what IS Ben doing? He has no children, so there's nothing holding him back from taking any kind of day job just to bring money into the household. 

Just like David before him. Why does Darlene always pick these unmotivated losers?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yes, otherwise you get adults who think there's such a thing as a "free" house. My now ex-husband was one of those who never made the connection that even if you lived with your parents, the housing and food isn't free for THEM and if you're an adult choosing to move in with them to "save money" for yourself, you're still costing them money.

The fact that Darlene AND Becky are back living in Dan's house in their 40s, that message clearly didn't land.

I think Ben is/was a Lyft/Doordash driver because he was giving Jackie those tips on failing restaurants.  He should also be helping Dan on these construction jobs when possible.  As crazy as it it...could Dan collect off Roseanne SS?  It’s probably not much but she did work for some actual companies: Wellmans,, Rodbells, etc. so I assume some money was put in SS.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

If you know somebody like Ben, then it was funny to watch him include himself in the "one-percenters".   People who don't even realize how far down they are on the totem pole.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

If you know somebody like Ben, then it was funny to watch him include himself in the "one-percenters".   People who don't even realize how far down they are on the totem pole.

"Temporally embarrassed millionaires"

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

One issue of Dan's finances that isn't brought up, but should be so that people can learn in real life:

Dan usually was self employed and had side jobs.  The problem with that is there was no retirement being built up.  And worse than that-- he wasn't paying into social security so that blanket is not there in his old age.

We are seeing this happening right now.  Gig workers who were driving for Uber, Lyft, and others are finding out the hard way that there is no safety net for them.  This show can be a bit depressing at times, but they do a good job of showing what happens to people when they get the rug pulled out from under them.

They also should bring back the fact that Dan DID have a good job over twenty years ago that would have gotten him a pension. However, he was a: "act first and don't think about it later". With using his pension to take the family to Disney World or the fact he quit to take the prison job with Chuck because it was going to pay out double he made in a year. BUT... it was a ONE TIME PAYOUT! He should have done that on the side and kept his city job. He could have also hinted that things were going great between his work in the late 90s and the Lunchbox so he didn't worry about anything. 

Instead he constantly kept taking out loans, doing dumbass ideas with Jackie and Rosanne and every time they got money they just blew it because... you know they could! That be the cold hard lesson in everything also would make Ben go: "Oh shit, I'm you!"

• Love 6
5 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

Yes, there were multiple home businesses, and multiple mortgages. I think it is why the show resonated with people in that in that income bracket, is that you could try to bring yourself up by your bootstraps, but still struggle. Dan did drywall, then the bike shop, and Roseanne had the shredded meat. New businesses are too often failures.

Edited to add, both Dan and Roseanne worked their asses off to keep afloat.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, nokat said:

Yes, there were multiple home businesses, and multiple mortgages. I think it is why the show resonated with people in that in that income bracket, is that you could try to bring yourself up by your bootstraps, but still struggle. Dan did drywall, then the bike shop, and Roseanne had the shredded meat. New businesses are too often failures.

Edited to add, both Dan and Roseanne worked their asses off to keep afloat.

Yep and as I mentioned above. Dan finally got a really good job with benefits and a pension, then blew it all to take his family to Disney World and take the prison job with Chuck. 

• Love 5
Just now, readster said:

Yep and as I mentioned above. Dan finally got a really good job with benefits and a pension, then blew it all to take his family to Disney World and take the prison job with Chuck. 

Several of us have issues with the way characters are written, and it can be true, when you get some money you spend it on a vacation other than putting it aside. I consider the Conners as not the best at planning.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, nokat said:

Several of us have issues with the way characters are written, and it can be true, when you get some money you spend it on a vacation other than putting it aside. I consider the Conners as not the best at planning.

Lol, that's putting it mildly.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, geauxaway said:

At the very worst, after Roseanne died, he could have sold the house and moved into an income based senior apartment if it’s that hard for him to keep up his mortgage payments.  He’s got to be getting SSI, no?  I know it’s not a lot (SSI) and all that, but he shouldn’t be forced to stay in that albatross of a house with his ungrateful and non-contributing progeny.  Pride be damned.  And now to top it all off his know it all bitch of a granddaughter is disrespecting him.  Nice family.

Just as Roseanne prided herself on being a wife and mother, I think Dan prided himself on being "the man of the house" and a provider. What would be his identity if he wasn't? I don't know how old some of you are on here, but one minute, you feel 25 and the next, you're getting flyers for Medicare and funeral plots in your mailbox. I'm sure having family in his house gives him a sense of purposes, but all bets go out the window when Harris starts showing her ass and disrespecting him. He needed to pull out the Dan Conner that jumped all over Becky years ago when she yelled at him. Maybe he's just too tired after losing his wife. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Just as Roseanne prided herself on being a wife and mother, I think Dan prided himself on being "the man of the house" and a provider. What would be his identity if he wasn't? I don't know how old some of you are on here, but one minute, you feel 25 and the next, you're getting flyers for Medicare and funeral plots in your mailbox. I'm sure having family in his house gives him a sense of purposes, but all bets go out the window when Harris starts showing her ass and disrespecting him. He needed to pull out the Dan Conner that jumped all over Becky years ago when she yelled at him. Maybe he's just too tired after losing his wife. 

This is a good point and I'm getting AARP notices. I'm not getting the "plot we can have reserved  for you, because your family will have to pay to bury you" flyers yet. Dan is feeling that he needs to provide while he feels  older.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Dan has the CPAP machine he must sleep with each night or he might die.  Those things are not overnight-rendezvous portable, although I'm sure Louise would be kind enough to help him haul it in and out of her car.  But Louise has not asked Dan to stay over at her place and escape the zoo; she wants her alone time. 

IIRC, Dan spent a couple of nights with Louise last season.  The first time, he was embarrassed to bring the CPAP, but they talked about it, and he brought the machine to use the next time.  I have a CPAP, and it’s pretty portable.

10 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

If you’re self employed/own your own business, and properly file federal taxes, you do pay into the social security system. However, it’s partly based on net income, so possible that the SE tax remitted might be less than for an employed person.

Self employed people are permitted to put money into retirement accounts, but making enough to have money to put aside is an issue.

Harris was so disrespectful, but that seems to be how she was raised. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I fell asleep while watching this yesterday and didn’t see the end of the episode. But I did see Dan ask for his rent, and I think his live-in daughters should’ve been embarrassed that he had to ask for that. I would have money set aside specifically for that, and then manage the rest for living expenses.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

Yeah, my husband and I fall into that category.  He owns and operates his own limo. and has had virtually zero work since March.  I am unemployed.  He will be 65 in March.  I am 62.  We have not yet decided to collect Social Security - both of us will have to be at least 66 to collect the full amount and we don't want to take the lower amount.  We have had the rug pulled out from under us at a really bad time in life.  Although we are not in as sorry shape as Dan in some ways (we will be able to collect Social Security and I have a pension and 401Ks), in others his situation is all too much like our lives.  My husband never saved much for retirement, thinking he'd just work part time driving the limo. as he hates being idle anyway.  He will probably be able to go back to that but not for a year or so yet until the vaccine makes people start traveling again.

Is it true that Dan never paid into Social Security?  I'd find that hard to believe, unless he worked "off the books", although I don't know as much about this show as many here do because I never really watched it much back in the day.  Even self-employed people pay taxes and can get Social Security.  Even people that never worked can get SSI or whatever it's called when you never paid into Social Security.  It's less but it's still something.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I think Ben is/was a Lyft/Doordash driver because he was giving Jackie those tips on failing restaurants.  He should also be helping Dan on these construction jobs when possible.  As crazy as it it...could Dan collect off Roseanne SS?  It’s probably not much but she did work for some actual companies: Wellmans,, Rodbells, etc. so I assume some money was put in SS.

How about life insurance?

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

IIRC, Dan spent a couple of nights with Louise last season.  The first time, he was embarrassed to bring the CPAP, but they talked about it, and he brought the machine to use the next time.  I have a CPAP, and it’s pretty portable.

If you’re self employed/own your own business, and properly file federal taxes, you do pay into the social security system. However, it’s partly based on net income, so possible that the SE tax remitted might be less than for an employed person.

Self employed people are permitted to put money into retirement accounts, but making enough to have money to put aside is an issue.

Harris was so disrespectful, but that seems to be how she was raised. 

I guess I just meant that that Dan might have been working off the books a lot whereas Roseanne didn’t have a lot of control over what was reported.  It’s a real shame Dan left his city job, then the Conners weren’t known for great financial decisions.  As far as Harris, I do wish somebody was there to pull out “ARE YOU NEW???” If she wanted to be mad at some she should have been knocking on her daddy’s door if she could find it or ask why her mother is out in the driveway getting high instead of looking for a second job.  She could work part-time doing doordash, fivver, customer service calls (yeah I know),  I mean it’s not like she actually raising her children, and with 8000 people living there I wonder what is her share of the rent actually is?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, nokat said:

How about life insurance?

I wondered that, too.  But I swear there was some sort of throwaway line about it right after she died.  Maybe didn’t qualify because the death was linked to the pills she was abusing?  I honestly could be making this up in my head.

Sometimes I feel like they are trying to turn this show into Shameless 2.0 (the network TV version).  The Harris actress sure plays her character that way.   

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I wondered that, too.  But I swear there was some sort of throwaway line about it right after she died.  Maybe didn’t qualify because the death was linked to the pills she was abusing?  I honestly could be making this up in my head.

Sometimes I feel like they are trying to turn this show into Shameless 2.0 (the network TV version).  The Harris actress sure plays her character that way.   

If they were struggling to pay the mortgage, life insurance was probably low on the priority list, and their jobs didn't include benefits. Her death was probably expensive too. Medical bills etc.

Regarding the Conners, if it weren't for bad luck, they'd have no luck at all. (Sorry for the reference.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Considering that Dan said Roseanne told him to get life insurance on himself back in the day and he didn't, I strongly doubt Roseanne would have had any. I doubt she ever really expected to go first.

I guess I just meant that that Dan might have been working off the books a lot whereas Roseanne didn’t have a lot of control over what was reported.  It’s a real shame Dan left his city job, then the Conners weren’t known for great financial decisions.  As far as Harris, I do wish somebody was there to pull out “ARE YOU NEW???” If she wanted to be mad at some she should have been knocking on her daddy’s door if she could find it or ask why her mother is out in the driveway getting high instead of looking for a second job.  She could work part-time doing doordash, fivver, customer service calls (yeah I know),  I mean it’s not like she actually raising her children, and with 8000 people living there I wonder what is her share of the rent actually is?

Agreed. Her kids are not babies anymore and they live in a house full of people. There must certainly be a time in the evenings where Darlene could do some kind of gig job, especially in the pandemic. Grocery delivery and takeout is a booming business. 

Roseanne and Dan were godawful at saving money and planning for the future, but they sure as hell worked their butts off to pay the bills. That does not seem to have trickled down to the next generation.

• Love 6

I guess I just meant that that Dan might have been working off the books a lot whereas Roseanne didn’t have a lot of control over what was reported.  

I was watching We're In The Money from season one today and Dan had just got a new dry wall job. He was flashing the $500.00 he got up front to start the job. You know he never paid taxes on that. A lot of his jobs were probably like that. He should have at least taught his kids about that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 12/2/2020 at 11:19 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

I come from an old-school Southern family. Speaking to my Grandfather that way would have ended with me getting up off the floor in a daze. Not saying I condone corporal punishment, that's just the way it was back then.

My aunt's granddaughters stole a shit ton of money from their senile great grandfather and my mom threw one of them against a wall when she walked into his house one day and found one of the granddaughters there. Had it been one of her own grandchildren, he would have been knocked out cold. 

On 12/3/2020 at 11:21 AM, peacheslatour said:

Right? I mean Becky was told her whole life that there was a college fund. All she had to do was work hard and voila! she would be going to the college of her choice. Getting the rug completely pulled out from under you at 17 is a raw deal.

Try being told your whole life by your mom that she'd work 3 jobs to make sure you made it thru college and then you 16 year old sister gets knocked up the first month of your senior year and suddenly not only will mom not have time to help you, but any money will be going to sister and baby. Yeah, I had been working since I was 16, but I got fucked big time. And yet, I threw no fit. What good would it have done? 

On 12/3/2020 at 9:58 PM, Bastet said:

But Robin presumably knows nothing about him, so knowing he's in town wouldn't mean anything to her even if she was nasty enough to act on it -- to Robin, he's just some dude named Emilio on the other end of the phone, as there's nothing to indicate this random supervisor knows the history of an employee's faux husband to think, "Wait, he's supposed to be in Mexico."

Given Robin told her 4 other workers had already told her Becky had been a drunk, I'd have to assume she probably had at least heard whispers about Emilio and his status. 

On 12/4/2020 at 1:02 AM, Cherpumple said:

I'm also getting annoyed at Dan's neediness with Louise, but honestly it feels fairly realistic. I think widowed/divorced men are statistically more likely to jump into serious relationships sooner than woman are, and on top of that, he was with Roseanne since high school. Having a live-in partner is basically all he knows, and I can understand why he'd want to latch onto that situation again, to regain some sense of normality.

I'm finding his neediness realistic too. He does strike me as the kind of guy who wouldn't do well on his own, hence the kids in the house and the intense relationship with Louise. 

On 12/4/2020 at 11:27 AM, nokat said:

By the time I graduated college, my mom's husband wasn't working and they were barely in their 40's. My mom told me the day I graduated college, I'd need to start paying rent. I instantly told her I had planned on it, and how much I'd give her. I also paid all my own bills and any bills she needed help with. I never questioned it, or pointed out her husband should be working, and I know it was hard for her to ask. I stayed at home until I was 27, was able to pay off a car and most of my student loans, still paying rent and paying part of their bills until I basically got kicked out because he thought I was too noisy. Magically he finally went back to work about a month after I moved out. Funny how that happened, huh. 

• Love 9

If Dan did never report his income from when he was self-employed, he would have had social security based on when he wasn't self employed or he would be collecting from Roseanne's, since he is a widower, whichever was more.  

On 12/2/2020 at 7:34 PM, readster said:

Oh look, Harris has been slacking off and now loses her job because she apparently started caring about protests in the "big city". What? Yes, writers, you don't know what to do with her. We get it. 

They don't seem to know what to do with any of the characters.  They seem to be trying to turn the current characters into the original characters - Current Darlene is Original Roseanne, Current Becky is Original Jackie, Harris is Original Darlene, Ben is David, etc...Even Current Jackie is Bev, preachy judgmental, loud and whiny.   This might not be so bad except that the writers are doing a poor job of it.  They aren't characters, they are caricatures.  It is like they come up with a punch line and then write a scenario to fit it. 

19 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Considering that Dan said Roseanne told him to get life insurance on himself back in the day and he didn't, I strongly doubt Roseanne would have had any. I doubt she ever really expected to go first.

I was wondering if the comment on the life insurance was the show's way of giving a wink to the fact that Dan died in the original series.  

• Love 5

Harris’ anger not only went towards the wrong people, but it was totally stupid of her to get that mad over having to leave her unpaid spot in the streets to go back to her PAYING JOB. It was BS to imply that Dan wanted their money because he was greedy; this is a man who has spent and devoted his entire life taking care of not only her, but her mother and aunt because they both refuse to better themselves. Meanwhile, her father totally abandoned her and her brother (who is still 12)!

• Love 9
5 hours ago, needschocolate said:

If Dan did never report his income from when he was self-employed, he would have had social security based on when he wasn't self employed or he would be collecting from Roseanne's, since he is a widower, whichever was more.  

They don't seem to know what to do with any of the characters.  They seem to be trying to turn the current characters into the original characters - Current Darlene is Original Roseanne, Current Becky is Original Jackie, Harris is Original Darlene, Ben is David, etc...Even Current Jackie is Bev, preachy judgmental, loud and whiny.   This might not be so bad except that the writers are doing a poor job of it.  They aren't characters, they are caricatures.  It is like they come up with a punch line and then write a scenario to fit it. 

I was wondering if the comment on the life insurance was the show's way of giving a wink to the fact that Dan died in the original series.  

Good catch, but probably not.  These writers have retconned the hell out of Original Roseanne.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, needschocolate said:

They seem to be trying to turn the current characters into the original characters - Current Darlene is Original Roseanne, Current Becky is Original Jackie, Harris is Original Darlene, Ben is David, etc...Even Current Jackie is Bev, preachy judgmental, loud and whiny. 

Lol, I hadn't thought about that, but I think you're right.  I had thought of Darlene as the new Roseanne, but I hadn't considered the rest.

• Love 5
On 12/6/2020 at 9:10 AM, needschocolate said:

I was wondering if the comment on the life insurance was the show's way of giving a wink to the fact that Dan died in the original series

Leave it to @needschocolate to come up with a clever connection!

Unfortunately, I think the answer is a little sadder.  Dan knew that if he had life insurance, at least he would be leaving something behind when he died.  He didn't even have that, and now it was too late.

• Love 4
On 12/3/2020 at 10:07 PM, ljenkins782 said:

My favorite line was when Darlene said she protested female genital mutilation and he croaks out "who's for THAT??"

"Is it men? It's men, isn't it?" Cracked. Me. Up. 😂 I rewatched that exchanged at least half a dozen times!

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

Harris's attitude is that she could either be responsible or support a cause she believes in.  I was hoping the show would point out that she could do both.  Go to work, then support your cause on your off hours.  This goes for any cause.  If your cause requires you to never leave a certain location then you better be prepared to do without.  If you're not willing to sacrifice for your own beliefs then don't expect anyone else to.  But again, being unemployed is unlikely to be a requirement for most causes.  But it's often used as an excuse.  Missed opportunity by the show, IMO.

• Love 11
On 12/3/2020 at 4:38 PM, marceline said:

It's a sidestep that I - as a Black viewer - am particularly grateful for. There's a lot of tension in the movement right now between Black activists and white "allies." This show is not the one to tackle that and even if it was, Harris is the worst character for that. She can stick with Bootleg Occupy.

I'm not Black, but I am grateful that they went with Bootleg Occupy as well. There are way too many wrong ways to do a BLM storyline and I'm certain that a 1/2 hour long sitcom is not going to be one of the ones to get it right. Plus, the financial aspect fit in better with the show in general.

• Love 9
On 12/2/2020 at 10:39 PM, SHD said:

Were we supposed to be surprised that Robin is trans?

This show’s relationship with Covid is puzzling. It relies so much on current events that they can’t pretend they’re in a world where Covid doesn’t exist, but their choices of when they use masks and when they don’t makes no sense.

All of this!  I can’t believe they were trying to play it like Robin had anyone fooled (I hope that doesn’t come off as  transphobic, but come on!)

• Love 6
On 12/4/2020 at 2:33 PM, Irate Panda said:

Not only that, and maybe I missed it because I’ve missed the last couple of episodes, but why does Dan not have any Social Security or retirement built up from when he was working for the City government, supervising the mechanics fixing/maintains the City’s school buses and trucks? I’ve been watching reruns of “Roseanne” on Amazon prime and had just gotten to where he got that job and was all excited about having the benefits and everything.

Edited by Liamsmom617
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Liamsmom617 said:

Not only that, and maybe I missed it because I’ve missed the last couple of episodes, but why does Dan not have any Social Security or retirement built up from when he was working for the City government, supervising the mechanics fixing/maintains the City’s school buses and trucks?

My recollection was that he did not have that job for more than a season or two before giving it up.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

My recollection was that he did not have that job for more than a season or two before giving it up.

Isn't your SS benefit based on lifetime earnings and contributions? He wouldn't have much, he only worked for the city for a what? A year? And I bet most of his drywalling jobs were cash, under the table. Roesanne's are probably better.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Isn't your SS benefit based on lifetime earnings? He wouldn't have much, he only worked for the city for a what? A year? And I bet most of his drywalling jobs were cash, under the table. Roesanne's are probably better.

When has the show done anything logical like this?

• Love 2

What exactly is Dan angry at? A lifetime of poor decisions? I can see sadness, or depression. But anger?

We are watching the next generation of Connors make dumb decisions while the generation before then laments that the kids can’t afford to be stupid. And gets high in the driveway.

I guess if Dan is angry at his own family, that makes sense. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Ottis said:

What exactly is Dan angry at? A lifetime of poor decisions? I can see sadness, or depression. But anger?

We are watching the next generation of Connors make dumb decisions while the generation before then laments that the kids can’t afford to be stupid. And gets high in the driveway.

I guess if Dan is angry at his own family, that makes sense. 

Lots of very successful people smoke weed. This family has a ton of problems but I don't really think that smoking pot is at the top of the list.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Lots of very successful people smoke weed. This family has a ton of problems but I don't really think that smoking pot is at the top of the list.

When you have the issues these people do, smoking weed should be pretty far down the list of productive uses of their time. They seem to revel in being anything but productive. 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Ottis said:

When you have the issues these people do, smoking weed should be pretty far down the list of productive uses of their time. They seem to revel in being anything but productive. 

Like booze and cigarettes, addicts, or regular to heavy recreational users, always have money for their vices.  I should know; I used to be a daily cigarette smoker.  I quit at the age of 45, cold turkey, haven't looked back and have saved a shit ton of money.  But I didn't quit because of the cost, it was another freedom I enjoy from being a nonsmoker.

• Love 6
On 12/3/2020 at 5:48 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I'm glad I'm not the only confused one regarding where Harris works. And she does come across as a spoiled rotten teenager who would have been most likely backhanded in my childhood home. Harris does get confusing messages from Darlene, who encourages her to go and protest, then tries to compensate when Harris is going to get fired. It's like she's living out her teenage dream (the dream where Darlene was out protesting instead of painting dead cows on the sidewalk, as opposed to Roseanne burning her bra). 

I'm sure Dan feels like a piece of crap having to ask his family members for money. The guy has lost his wife, nearly lost his home, lost the majority of his business and is dealing with a bunch of people in his house all the time. Most older people look forward to a little peace and quiet. 

I'm getting to dislike Ben more, between the getting high in the driveway and the facial hair. Pretty soon he's just going to turn into a weed-smoking wolfman. Can't he DO anything to help ease the load? Maybe help Dan do sheetrock or deliver food for Jackie? 

On 12/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

There have been protests for gig workers to get benefits. That would have probably made more sense since I bet a lot of Landford's population has to do gig work in the share economy at this point. Also, people like Uber drivers are probably really being hurt by the pandemic. The bootleg occupy just feels very out of date now. I imagine that the factory opening up is the first time many people have gotten full time paid work with benefits for almost a generation.

I think Roseanne might have had a pension when she worked for the factory but did she lose it when she quit because of that sadistic boss? Does anyone know how pensions worked back then because it feels like Dan would be her beneficiary? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2