Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Protest, Drug Test and One Leaves the Nest

Pallas
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think Roseanne might have had a pension when she worked for the factory but did she lose it when she quit because of that sadistic boss?

Answering in the Past and Present thread ...

• Love 1
On 12/2/2020 at 10:39 PM, SHD said:

Were we supposed to be surprised that Robin is trans?

This show’s relationship with Covid is puzzling. It relies so much on current events that they can’t pretend they’re in a world where Covid doesn’t exist, but their choices of when they use masks and when they don’t makes no sense.

That made Becky look like a fool. It is obvious she might be trans.  And since I am not educated on the subject, why would the boss not want to take the Pee test because of that? Would the results show that she was formerly male before her transition  or was it some thing else?

On 12/3/2020 at 10:00 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I laughed at Harris just immediately up and leaving for the protest right then and there! Abrupt!

I always thought Becky's outrage at Dan & Roseanne about the college money was warranted. I dealt with something similar and it sucked. I mean, I didn't run off and elope (or scream at everyone), but I was mad!

A  college fund always makes me laugh !! I had no college fund, my child had no college fund. I know there are times and people where it’s hard enough to pay the bills month to month , keep a roof over your head, a running vehicle , food, etc. never mind putting aside money for children’s education unfortunately. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 3
On 12/4/2020 at 5:38 PM, readster said:

Yep and as I mentioned above. Dan finally got a really good job with benefits and a pension, then blew it all to take his family to Disney World and take the prison job with Chuck. 

Idiot move. Typical trash decision. You reap what you sow. It’s maddening because I see it all the time in surrounding areas.  They need to teach finances in school every single year because I can’t believe how clueless and ignorant some people are. 

• Love 6
On 12/5/2020 at 2:58 AM, Yeah No said:

Yeah, my husband and I fall into that category.  He owns and operates his own limo. and has had virtually zero work since March.  I am unemployed.  He will be 65 in March.  I am 62.  We have not yet decided to collect Social Security - both of us will have to be at least 66 to collect the full amount and we don't want to take the lower amount.  We have had the rug pulled out from under us at a really bad time in life.  Although we are not in as sorry shape as Dan in some ways (we will be able to collect Social Security and I have a pension and 401Ks), in others his situation is all too much like our lives.  My husband never saved much for retirement, thinking he'd just work part time driving the limo. as he hates being idle anyway.  He will probably be able to go back to that but not for a year or so yet until the vaccine makes people start traveling again.

Is it true that Dan never paid into Social Security?  I'd find that hard to believe, unless he worked "off the books", although I don't know as much about this show as many here do because I never really watched it much back in the day.  Even self-employed people pay taxes and can get Social Security.  Even people that never worked can get SSI or whatever it's called when you never paid into Social Security.  It's less but it's still something.

Oops never mind. If we make an error  can’t we delete a post here?!

On 12/7/2020 at 1:45 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

Leave it to @needschocolate to come up with a clever connection!

Unfortunately, I think the answer is a little sadder.  Dan knew that if he had life insurance, at least he would be leaving something behind when he died.  He didn't even have that, and now it was too late.

And another idiot “plan” from Dan. Life insurance would not pay if he killed himself. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

A  college fund always makes me laugh !! I had no college fund, my child had no college fund. I know there are times and people where it’s hard enough to pay the bills month to month , keep a roof over your head, a running vehicle , food, etc. never mind putting aside money for children’s education unfortunately. 

Some people do. I didn't in the way that you're probably "laughing" about. It's not like a "college fund" is a quirky thing only for the wealthy (especially because it’s probably not the wealthy that would need to create a specific fund for it).

It's not all about the money; it's about being told (by your parents, no less) that you have something you need. And worse (at least I thought so), it's also about NOT being told in a helpful or timely way that you suddenly no longer have it. It’s the rug-pulling that’s the issue.

That made Becky look like a fool. It is obvious she might be trans. 

Does everyone have some kind of infallible "trans radar"? I mean, OK, I thought she may be, but that's basically because I have watched TV before.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Oops never mind. If we make an error  can’t we delete a post here

Posts can't be deleted by users. If you have something that needs attention, you can either  PM one of the forum mods or report the post with a brief description of what needs to be done. 

The mods for The Conners are @Pallas, @statsgirl and @tessaray (me).

• Love 1
10 hours ago, tessaray said:

Posts can't be deleted by users. If you have something that needs attention, you can either  PM one of the forum mods or report the post with a brief description of what needs to be done. 

The mods for The Conners are @Pallas, @statsgirl and @tessaray (me).

Thanks for the info. What is the reason for this? I’ve never been to another forum where you can’t delete your post.  

10 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I believe they will pay out if a suicide occurs more than a year after the policy is bought.

That’s news to me. Paying out that way seems wrong in principle and uncharacteristically generous of the evil insurance companies. 

1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

Thanks for the info. What is the reason for this? I’ve never been to another forum where you can’t delete your post.  

I don't know what the original site owners were thinking but I do think it contributes to a more civil atmosphere. For instance, no one can create a number of incendiary posts, delete them and then act innocent when there's fallout. 

Users can also edit a post for a limited time. A week, I think? If we see a post that has been edited to no text or with "never mind" it will be taken care of. 

• Love 3

That’s news to me. Paying out that way seems wrong in principle and uncharacteristically generous of the evil insurance companies. 

Other than the (probably fairly remote) possibility of a murder made to look like a suicide, I don't understand the rule not to pay out in the case of a suicide. Insurance is to assist the dependents of the dead person; it's not their fault that suicide is how that person got dead.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Other than the (probably fairly remote) possibility of a murder made to look like a suicide, I don't understand the rule not to pay out in the case of a suicide. Insurance is to assist the dependents of the dead person; it's not their fault that suicide is how that person got dead.

Exactly.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The rule is there to prevent people who are planning a suicide from securing windfalls for their relatives by taking out an insurance policy and then almost immediately committing suicide after posting little or no premiums.   insurance policies are for unexpected happenings.   That’s why it’s hard to get insurance if you have known serious health conditions.  Premiums are set based on expected mortality rates during the term of the contract. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

The rule is there to prevent people who are planning a suicide from securing windfalls for their relatives by taking out an insurance policy and then almost immediately committing suicide after posting little or no premiums.   insurance policies are for unexpected happenings.   That’s why it’s hard to get insurance if you have known serious health conditions.  Premiums are set based on expected mortality rates during the term of the contract. 

Also, suicide clauses are usually two to three years depending on policy wait period.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/4/2020 at 11:35 PM, zoey1996 said:

f you’re self employed/own your own business, and properly file federal taxes, you do pay into the social security system. However, it’s partly based on net income, so possible that the SE tax remitted might be less than for an employed person.

Yea you know Dan was (and maybe still does) take cash under the table jobs and doesn't report the income or collect any tax from his clients. Because it means less cost for them and more short term money for him.

On 12/5/2020 at 11:14 AM, nokat said:

If they were struggling to pay the mortgage, life insurance was probably low on the priority list, 

Plus I think the traditional thinking is that you usually have life insurance on the big earner in a family since it would be a lager struggle for Roseanne to pay the bills on her income if Dan died than vice versa.

On 1/1/2021 at 3:24 PM, TattleTeeny said:

That never made sense to me. If your kidneys have a disease and you die from it the policy pays out. But if you have a brain disease and you die from it when you kill yourself it doesn't.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That never made sense to me. If your kidneys have a disease and you die from it the policy pays out. But if you have a brain disease and you die from it when you kill yourself it doesn't.

But if your kidneys have a disease, you may be unable to get life insurance at any price, or at least at any affordable price, due to the condition. The no pay-out clause for life insurance is limited, usually to two years.  That's to prevent a person contemplating suicide to buy the policy and killing themselves before they've paid in a minimum amount of premiums.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

But if your kidneys have a disease, you may be unable to get life insurance at any price, or at least at any affordable price, due to the condition. The no pay-out clause for life insurance is limited, usually to two years.  That's to prevent a person contemplating suicide to buy the policy and killing themselves before they've paid in a minimum amount of premiums.

What about all these shills on teevee telling me I can get life insurance with zero health checks and it can never be cancelled. It's shitty insurance but you can get it.

The problem with that is there was no retirement being built up.  And worse than that-- he wasn't paying into social security so that blanket is not there in his old age.

Yup. I have known plenty of people who thought they were so smart by working under the table. Then they try to buy a house (with little declared income) or get SS (ditto) and those chickens come home to roost

• Love 4
On 12/9/2020 at 9:26 AM, peacheslatour said:

Isn't your SS benefit based on lifetime earnings and contributions? He wouldn't have much, he only worked for the city for a what? A year? And I bet most of his drywalling jobs were cash, under the table. Roesanne's are probably better.

Dan probably hadn't paid much in to SS. But, Roseanne worked jobs where she had routine deductions from her check until they opened the restaurant. Dan would be entitled to half of whatever monthly SS Roseanne was getting (or eligible for). I learned this when my father in law died. The surviving spouse gets 50% of what their spouse was receiving.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, lovesnark said:

Dan probably hadn't paid much in to SS. But, Roseanne worked jobs where she had routine deductions from her check until they opened the restaurant. Dan would be entitled to half of whatever monthly SS Roseanne was getting (or eligible for). I learned this when my father in law died. The surviving spouse gets 50% of what their spouse was receiving.

On top of their own?

54 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

On top of their own?

Yes. My mother in law's monthly benefit increased. It doesn't happen automatically though, you have to apply for survivor's benefits. When my mom died, my dad would have been entitled to survivor's benefits but he chose not to pursue them. My in laws financial situation was very different than that of my parents and the additional money my dad would have received wasn't something he desperately needed to get by. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 12/3/2020 at 4:52 PM, rmontro said:

Shall I just open every episode’s reaction with “Insert Mask Frustration Here”?  I’m really trying to let it go, but it’s hard.

It does drive me crazy to see the masks constantly put on, taken off, repeat, but I’ve let it go because it’s a tv show, and we can’t expect them to act with masks on the entire episode. I actually wouldn’t mind that but I can see why they won’t do it.  All the shows that I watch that have incorporated COVID do this.  

Does Harris realize that if she wasn’t paying rent to Dan she would still have to pay rent somewhere??  That was awful what she did throwing the check at her grandfather.  I’m glad Darlene chewed her out.  She shouldn’t have let her off the hook at the end.

Ugh,  what happened to Ben??  He used to be pretty hot, but the wolfman look is out of control.  Hair salons are open now.  It’s too much.  Jackie/Laurie Metcalf is brave to grow out her grey on national television, that’s a long painful process.  I think it looks so much better now that she lightened up the bottom part.  I think it will look really good when it’s all grown out. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 4