Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Social Media, Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, becauseIsaidso said:

Now that we don't have Couples Cam (any more? ever again?) I do miss getting an occasional update on the couples who had still been together as of the last Couples Cam - I forget when that was. I don't think it would be necessary to have it weekly as an adjunct to the current MAFS season, but I would like to see something about past couples. Maybe a 90 minute special mid-season? end of season? in concert with a reunion/where are they now/kind of thing. The only things I don't EVER want to see again are JOits and anything that gives Alyssa even an iota of camera time to spew more of her self-serving venom.

Alyssa has served one good purpose, however. Whenever I wonder if I am as good a person as I think I am, I dredge up memories of Alyssa and am comforted by the knowledge that regardless of my faults, I am no Alyssa.

That is a very low bar.......It needs to be a sliding scale - like on a scale of Mother Theresa to Alyssa from MAFS...... ;-p

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Those shrunken suits are the thing now with the young crowd.  Remember Chris from the Atlanta season?  He wore it, but at least it looked a little better on him.  This guy is not wearing it well at all.

I think it is supposed to look like the man has such giant muscles that the suit can not contain him.

I am not a fan.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think it is supposed to look like the man has such giant muscles that the suit can not contain him.

I am not a fan.

I think it's just a pendulum swing as most fashion comes back again.  The Beatles wore the skinny suits. It was in for a while in the 60s too.  Of course they're taking it to new ridiculous heights now.  The younger generation wants to either shock their parents or set themselves apart from them.  What else is new?  🙄😉

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Sure, the Beatles wore skinny suits, but they didn't look like they were about to burst out of them because they had slim bodies.  

Of course not but they were still skinny suits.  That's why I said they're taking them to new ridiculous heights these days.  Although James Brown wore a lot of very shrunken suits back then and yet they still fit him better than this guy's suit!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2

On one of the aftershows, Lindsey said Mark claims to be fluent in Italian even though he told her he only took it in high school and doesn't remember it.  Keisha said something like "Mark says he's fluent in Italian?" and Lindsey said, "Look at his Linked In profile."

So I did, and under "languages," he has "Italian."  I'm not familiar with the standards on fluency on Linked In, but I would think it would be more than taking classes in high school and forgetting what you learned.   

Anyway, in one of the episode threads, I surmised that he worked at Planet Fitness, because that's where he and Lindsey worked out.  According to his Linked In page, he didn't; he was working at some other club, but there's somebody associated with PF among his friends or whatever it is on Linked In, so I'm thinking this other person is the one who arranged for them to work out there for the cameras. 

He lists his occupation as "entrepreneur," and apparently he didn't go back to the health club he was working at that told him to come back after the show finished filming, because his current job is at Chick-Fil-A.  I'm not sure in what capacity, but he has on a name tag in the photo. 

• Useful 7
27 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I don't do videos.  What's his job? 

Screenshot_20220329-120612_YouTube.thumb.jpg.26e1d6c72af1c04e984f0ee6ce6d4b9e.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture. I took a screenshot for you to see from the video posted above by @qtpye. He is currently a manager at a Chick-fil-A.

So--- He lost his job selling fitness memberships because of filming the show--- the same job his wife shamed him for, for "only" making $60,000 a year.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:38 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

On one of the aftershows, Lindsey said Mark claims to be fluent in Italian even though he told her he only took it in high school and doesn't remember it.  Keisha said something like "Mark says he's fluent in Italian?" and Lindsey said, "Look at his Linked In profile."

So I did, and under "languages," he has "Italian."  I'm not familiar with the standards on fluency on Linked In, but I would think it would be more than taking classes in high school and forgetting what you learned.   

Anyway, in one of the episode threads, I surmised that he worked at Planet Fitness, because that's where he and Lindsey worked out.  According to his Linked In page, he didn't; he was working at some other club, but there's somebody associated with PF among his friends or whatever it is on Linked In, so I'm thinking this other person is the one who arranged for them to work out there for the cameras. 

He lists his occupation as "entrepreneur," and apparently he didn't go back to the health club he was working at that told him to come back after the show finished filming, because his current job is at Chick-Fil-A.  I'm not sure in what capacity, but he has on a name tag in the photo. 

The name escapes me now, but it wasn't Planet Fitness. It was a much smaller, less well-known brand. I remember google mapping it while watching the show when the topic came up.

He went to a cycling studio for 3 months before currently landing at Chick-fil-A. Also in @qtpye's video: Michaela from last season came to his defense on social media for people job shaming him.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

The name escapes me now, but it wasn't Planet Fitness. It was a much smaller, less well-known brand. I remember google mapping it while watching the show when the topic came up.

Just to clarify...he and Lindsey were shown working out at a PF--you can clearly see it at the 3:08 mark on the online version of the bondage episode.  But it turns out that wasn't the gym he actually worked at. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I wonder if his salary is comparable to the gym? 

Excellent question. I have no idea. Although I personally don't patronize Chick-fil-A out of solidarity w/ the LGBTQ+ community, I am not mad at him. Folks throwing plenty shade at his current job situation online. To paraphrase one dissenter: Mark the Shark is Mark the Employed. 

Does anyone have any idea what a Boston area fast food manager gets paid? There was also commentary that in the Chick-fil-A franchise it is mandatory that you work at the store before you can buy in. So, who knows, maybe Mark is doing the grunt work before going on to bigger & better things?...

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I wonder if his salary is comparable to the gym? 

According to Indeed, a general manager at a Chick-fil-A in the Boston area makes $49,875, which is 11% below the national average.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Chick--fil--a/salaries/General-Manager/Massachusetts#:~:text=How much does a General,11% below the national average.

18 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I wonder if his proficiency in Italian helped cinch the job for him.

I have been suspecting for some time that Mark is half Italian on his mother's side.  A lot of people from Boston are that combination because many Irish and Italians settled there in the 19th century.  So I think maybe that's one reason he learned Italian.  He may have heard it at home, too.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Excellent question. I have no idea. Although I personally don't patronize Chick-fil-A out of solidarity w/ the LGBTQ+ community, I am not mad at him. Folks throwing plenty shade at his current job situation online. To paraphrase one dissenter: Mark the Shark is Mark the Employed. 

I agree and it saddens me that so many people are judging and shaming him.  My parents encouraged us to have big goals and as long as we earned enough to pay taxes and not be a drain on society then they considered us a success.  There are LOTS of necessary and noble jobs that are not high paying and I am thankful for the people who do those jobs.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

There does appear to be a match between his level of proficiency and the level required for a position at Olive Garden. 

That’sa spicy meatballa!

• LOL 4

Mark certainly didn’t do well being on this show. He was given the worst wife ever who belittled him and told private things that never should have been told. 

He doesn’t have much family support and I worry about him. 

• Love 8
On 3/29/2022 at 12:37 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I wonder if his proficiency in Italian helped cinch the job for him.

No, but I'm sure his love of chicken fingers and macaroni and cheese did!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Mark certainly didn’t do well being on this show. He was given the worst wife ever who belittled him and told private things that never should have been told. 

Worst wife or no, I don't worry about him.  I'm sure Mark will go back to his older female friends who "mother" him for consolation.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Worse than Alyssa?  I don't even know why Mark the Shark was allowed on the show. Is he a nice guy?  I guess. But man, it would be hard to find a decent match for such an underachieving, stuck in his ways-type of guy. 

And if he was selling gym memberships, which happens at the gym, I don't understand how he can eat the way he does. Surely the fitness industry might have encouraged him to try more than flour-based food and meat. 

(As you can probably tell, Mark is not my cup of tea.)  

Yes, general manager of a Chik-fil-A is honest work, I just think he should be further ahead in his career/life than he is.  I know that's judge-y. Just how I feel. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 3
On 3/31/2022 at 7:35 AM, cardigirl said:

And if he was selling gym memberships, which happens at the gym, I don't understand how he can eat the way he does. Surely the fitness industry might have encouraged him to try more than flour-based food and meat. 

I've said before that I think he has a terrible non-aspirational body for someone selling gym membership, and selling supplements as a side hustle.  Customer:  "I don't want to look like you."

• Love 1
7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I've said before that I think he has a terrible non-aspirational body for someone selling gym membership, and selling supplements as a side hustle.  Customer:  "I don't want to look like you."

The irony of someone that doesn't eat any fruits or vegetables selling gym memberships and supplements is not lost on me.  If anyone needs the those things it's HIM.  Now we know why his body is so "non-aspirational".

33 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I think Chris would have been nice to her, but he would not want to be the peace keeper with her antics. What if Alyssa had been paired with Mark????

Mark may not be my favorite guy on this show but he certainly wouldn't deserve the likes of HER!

• Love 8

There were some articles from Screen Rant on my news feed and it sounds like the author is reading here. I couldn't find the links to post, but one talks about how O's neck tattoo was changing and the best one was Why Season 14 Is the Series' Rock Bottom! And it mentions everything we have been saying. It suggests that one of the main reasons, besides having truly unlikeable people to start with, is the fact that the experts have been so hands-off. I don't know that more of the experts would help if the people were hired for drama and they don't listen anyway.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Retired at last said:

There were some articles from Screen Rant on my news feed and it sounds like the author is reading here. I couldn't find the links to post, but one talks about how O's neck tattoo was changing and the best one was Why Season 14 Is the Series' Rock Bottom! And it mentions everything we have been saying. It suggests that one of the main reasons, besides having truly unlikeable people to start with, is the fact that the experts have been so hands-off. I don't know that more of the experts would help if the people were hired for drama and they don't listen anyway.

Each season just keeps getting worse. I'm not even rooting for any of these couples. They're either boring or extremely uncomfortable to watch. Some of them may decide to stay together on Decision Day but I don't hold out hopes for any of them to last long-term. I think the experts are also checked out at this point. They really need to pick participants who are actually ready for marriage without needing serious therapy first.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Each season just keeps getting worse. I'm not even rooting for any of these couples. They're either boring or extremely uncomfortable to watch. Some of them may decide to stay together on Decision Day but I don't hold out hopes for any of them to last long-term. I think the experts are also checked out at this point. They really need to pick participants who are actually ready for marriage without needing serious therapy first.

I'm guessing the pool of maybes has dried up and this is what's available!

Surely in interviews with the experts their failings in relationships peeked out!

But...the show must go on.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm guessing the pool of maybes has dried up and this is what's available!

Surely in interviews with the experts their failings in relationships peeked out!

But...the show must go on.

I think the pool has dried up, too.  Didn't Mark say he tried out for MAFS three other times?  There must have been reasons he was rejected earlier, and I think he was chosen this season out of desperation. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
On 4/2/2022 at 10:41 PM, Meowwww said:

I might be a party of one, but I found Couples Cam SO boring.  I follow the couples I like on social media.  I don’t need a show.  

I need a show.  I don’t do Social media.

• Love 6
On 4/4/2022 at 9:30 PM, Kira53 said:

I need a show.  I don’t do Social media.

Same here.  A few specials a year wouldn't be a bad idea.  Why do they either bombard us with hours of boring unnecessary filler or completely deprive us?  It makes zero sense.  I knew they were overdoing it and ratings would suffer.  They can't use common sense and find the "happy medium" with anything.  So we all lose out.

• Love 11
On 4/3/2022 at 4:05 AM, gingerandcloves said:

Amelia has a new boo and he is hawt. They just vacationed together in Hawaii. Sounds like they had some crazy adventures including a plane with a broken wing and a rental van that lost a wheel. She posted some beautiful pics though.

Isn't Amelia the one who was in medical school and married that dude who was a starving actor who lived in a garden shed? I never thought those two would last,  though they both were eccentric.

• Love 3
On 4/3/2022 at 8:35 PM, gingerandcloves said:

They really need to pick participants who are actually ready for marriage without needing serious therapy first.

Totally agree.  One of my favorite couples was Keith and Kristine. Keith is a good guy who was single is because he was a bit of a homebody and lived with his grandma.  They were both open to listening to each other and compromising.  I enjoyed watching them meet, crushing on each other and navigating their relationship.  So much better than the Mark & Lindsey and Olajuwon & Katina antics we are tortured with today.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, potatochips said:

Isn't Amelia the one who was in medical school and married that dude who was a starving actor who lived in a garden shed? I never thought those two would last,  though they both were eccentric.

Yes. They were QUIRKY. She had finished medical school and was starting residency. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Booger666 said:

Totally agree.  One of my favorite couples was Keith and Kristine. Keith is a good guy who was single is because he was a bit of a homebody and lived with his grandma.  They were both open to listening to each other and compromising.  I enjoyed watching them meet, crushing on each other and navigating their relationship.  

This! Love Keith and Kristine! Where are the couples like this???? It's so frustrating watching the show now. It's just garbage because it's obvious almost from episode one that some of these people should never have been chosen. I saw an article last night where Dr. Viv refuted the idea that the producers pick the participants. If that is actually true, shame on them! I mean, how can you not be embarrassed for picking some of these fools???  If I had a professional reputation at stake like I would assume the three experts do, I would be more than happy to let people think the producers pick because it seems so obvious to apparently everybody except them that people like Chris or Alyssa were inappropriate choices. They just look stupid for choices like these.

In the same article, Dr. Viv also alludes to being there as a professional, which I find extremely interesting considering the woman she replaced (Jessica) was very quick to say she was NOT there as a therapist or in a professional capacity after she hooked up with Jon.....

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Yes. They were QUIRKY. She had finished medical school and was starting residency. 

She seems an unlikely personality for being somebody's doctor!

She must be super intelligent with not a lick of common sense!

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

She must be super intelligent with not a lick of common sense!

I have an aunt like that.  She was the head nurse at their local hospital (now retired).  Very brillant woman, but she didn't have the common sense to get in out of the rain.  

I always liked Amelia.  I think she would be a good friend and even as a doctor I think she would be honest about a patients' diagnosis, but not cold and clinical.  I remember one time I had a not so great diagnosis and ended up crying in the doctor's office. He called in another doctor to try to calm me down. It worked beause where he was clinical, she told me my options in a way I could understand.  I think Amelia would be that way.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 3/23/2022 at 3:33 PM, becauseIsaidso said:

Now that we don't have Couples Cam (any more? ever again?) I do miss getting an occasional update on the couples who had still been together as of the last Couples Cam - I forget when that was. I don't think it would be necessary to have it weekly as an adjunct to the current MAFS season, but I would like to see something about past couples. Maybe a 90 minute special mid-season? end of season? in concert with a reunion/where are they now/kind of thing. The only things I don't EVER want to see again are JOits and anything that gives Alyssa even an iota of camera time to spew more of her self-serving venom.

Alyssa has served one good purpose, however. Whenever I wonder if I am as good a person as I think I am, I dredge up memories of Alyssa and am comforted by the knowledge that regardless of my faults, I am no Alyssa.

Good idea.  I would love to see how the previous couples are up to, especially the guy with the big nose and she who was very fussy.  Forgot their names.  A Special would be great.  I find pillow talk annoying, as all they do is comment on things we already know.  Jake, that’s his name.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2022 at 10:53 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Mark has enough stress with his Mom and Grandma.  He does not need Lindsey to add to it.  She will never change, even with therapy.  His head must be bursting now, if he stood with her.  Does anyone know the outcome between the two?  Where can we find out?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4